PDA

View Full Version : longtime Iowa high school football coach killed...

Pick Six
06-25-2009, 02:01 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/football/news/story?id=4283443

PARKERSBURG, Iowa -- Ed Thomas, who produced four NFL linemen as the football coach at tiny Aplington-Parkersburg High, was shot and killed Wednesday inside the school's weight room, authorities said.

The gunman, identified by authorities as 24-year-old Mark Becker, is a former student who played football for Thomas.

Thomas was shot multiple times just before 8 a.m. local time, authorities said. About 50 students were in the school, including several in the weight room, at the time. School was not in session, and no one else was injured in the attack.

Thomas, the 2005 NFL High School Football Coach of the Year, was airlifted to Covenant Medical Center in Waterloo, where he died, his family said in a statement. He was 58.

Thomas coached several players who went on to the NFL, including Kampman, Jacksonville Jaguars center Brad Meester, Detroit Lions defensive end Jared DeVries and Denver Broncos center Casey Wiegmann.

Los Broncos
06-25-2009, 02:05 AM
I wonder how close Casey was to him? maybe a little more incentive or inspiration this season.

slyinky
06-25-2009, 03:55 AM
I wonder how close Casey was to him? maybe a little more incentive or inspiration this season.
Not sure that I would speculate as to how a murder could benefit the Broncos.

watermock
06-25-2009, 04:17 AM
Obviously an axe to grind.

He sure got the man he wanted.

Iowegians ar ptetty good at uncovering the story.

footstepsfrom#27
06-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Very sad...he sounds like a really caring man who thought a lot of his kids and the community. I wonder why he wasn't picked up on the mental health warrant before he went off since it sounds like he was in line for that prior to this.

Kaylore
06-25-2009, 08:09 AM

Classy. Way to keep things in perspective there, IC.

Karenin
06-25-2009, 08:11 AM

seriously, wtf is wrong with you iron clady?

Los Broncos
06-25-2009, 09:59 AM

Not the team, Casey himself.

But I see your point.

The shooting death of legendary Iowa High School football coach Ed Thomas hits Denver Broncos center Casey Weigman hard.

"It's hard to begin to talk about what he's meant to me," Wiegmann told the Denver Post. "He's a second father. He taught me how to play football and a world more than that. He helped make me the man that I am."

Los Broncos
06-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Classy. Way to keep things in perspective there, IC.

Casey himself, not the team.

I just think is kind of came out wrong, my bad.

Pony Boy
06-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Wiegmann loses mentor in Slaying
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12684139