PDA

View Full Version : OT - ATT Uverse, anyone here have it?

broncosteven
06-24-2009, 03:50 PM
I am thinking of switching from Comcast to Uverse.

Is the conversion a pain?

Is 3mb wireless enough (I have crappy DSL right now that is 10 times less)

Can you patch your PC's in with CAT5 on the provided router?

Do they give you the Routers IP add?

Their Support seems lacking but I guess I did decline to chat when I started the sign up process, which I could not complete because I have DSL.

Do you have wireless on the same bill? I have an ATT cell

Seems sweet to have Fiber into the house. Plus I worked it out and we save some big bucks after the 6 month deals expire.

Cam07
06-24-2009, 04:32 PM
I've had Uverse for about a year and a half down in Houston. I really like it. I have the 6Mbps Internet connection mainly because I used to work from home and it's plenty fast. I'm sure that 3Mbps would be just fine especially compared to DSL. It's much cheaper for similar speeds and channels that I had on Comcast. I have two boxes which come free, both HD ready for no additional charge. The HD package is only $10/month.

What I really like about them is that they continue to improve on their services. Since I've been with them they've added a ton of HD channels, HD service has improved a lot and they've implemented Whole Home DVR so I can watch recorded programs from any box (even though I only have two). They also offer HD movies now and a huge selection (~700 last time I checked for non-HD movies).

The gateway router that they provide gives you a wireless router and it has 4 ethernet ports on it that you can use to connect your PC's if they don't have a wireless card. Not sure what you mean by giving you the routers IP? Do you mean is it static? I don't think it's static but it definitely doesn't change very often if at all as I have a server that I limit access to my IP and I haven't had to add a new IP to my firewall on the server yet.

BroncoBuff
06-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Is this a cable company?

Cam07
06-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Is this a cable company?

Yup, Internet and cable (IPTV actually) provided by AT&T.

BroncoBuff
06-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Yup, Internet and cable (IPTV actually) provided by AT&T.

Through phone lines, or what?

I've never lived in a town where you could choose between two cable companies.

Cam07
06-24-2009, 06:41 PM

I believe they use both Fiber and phone lines. I have Cat5 running through my apartment so I just connect my router directly to that. To be honest I'm not sure if they use fiber or phone lines to get it to my complex.

broncosteven
06-24-2009, 06:47 PM

I thought it was all Fiber, they have to install a box in your house (must be a multiplexer and converter.

It is cheaper than Comcast and being Fiber it is already more reliable.

I just wasn't sure about the useablity.

broncosteven
06-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Does every TV need a box? We have 2 non-HD ready TV's that we don't use much, one being the tv the kids use for "their channels" in the living room.

I have the Kick ass HD/surround sound setup in the basement.

Cam07
06-24-2009, 06:57 PM
I thought it was all Fiber, they have to install a box in your house (must be a multiplexer and converter.

It is cheaper than Comcast and being Fiber it is already more reliable.

I just wasn't sure about the useablity.

You may be right. They didn't have to install anything special in my apartment but they may have a main converter in my apartment complex and then run it to each apartment through that. I dunno.

Does every TV need a box? We have 2 non-HD ready TV's that we don't use much, one being the tv the kids use for "their channels" in the living room.

Every TV needs a box. You can always get Over-The-Air channels with an antenna but if you want cable you have to have a box. Not sure if there is an extra charge for those. I know you get two free as that's what I have. If you do decide to go with Uverse make sure you tell them where you want the main DVR box. You can only record shows from that one box even though you can watch the recorded programs from each box. Even if you move that box to another room it won't work. The main DVR will only work for the room where they install it.

ghwk
06-25-2009, 09:02 AM
It's interesting, here in N. Cali I am getting pummeled with Uverse promotions. Oddly enough they only compare the service with cable, I have DISH so I am assuming they don't want to compete with Satellite--yet anyways. I think I read somewhere that if you have satellite you don't won't to discontinue the service until you have compared the HD quality between the two, then decide. If I had cable I'd dump it in a second though.

alkemical
06-25-2009, 09:34 AM
sorta sounds like verizon's fios