PDA

View Full Version : Hester defends Cutler's honor

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-24-2009, 12:47 PM
HESTER DEFENDS CUTLER'S HONOR (Credit: Chicago Tribune):

Devin Hester says he has heard enough.

He is tired of hearing the criticism that new Bears quarterback Jay Cutler is not a mature, capable leader. "If you haven't been around a person like Cutler, how could you say something like that?" Hester said before appearing in a photo shoot Monday evening at Soldier Field for an Under Armour commercial.

In recent weeks, Super Bowl-winning coaches Tony Dungy and Mike Ditka have been among those who have expressed reservations about Cutler's maturity level. "Can't judge a book by its cover," Hester said. "If you haven't sat down and talked to him, how could you say something like that? He's calm in the huddle. He makes us laugh and he jokes around before the ball is snapped. That's the kind of quarterback who is relaxed and says, 'Let's play ball.' "
-----------------------------------

Does anyone remember all these questions and this criticism about Cutler when he was still in Denver? Is it more than a coincidence that these pieces are being written almost daily about Fat Football Jesus? And why do most of them have a homoerotic overtone?

DomCasual
06-24-2009, 12:56 PM
How sweet.

watermock
06-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Get real, clown. Fat Football Genius???

You expect a peep out of denver players with Der Fuhrer around?

Garcia Bronco
06-24-2009, 01:01 PM
HESTER DEFENDS CUTLER'S HONOR (Credit: Chicago Tribune):

"Can't judge a book by its cover," Hester said.

But they aren't. I see he is applying that "Miami" education.

Bronx33
06-24-2009, 01:02 PM
awwwwwwwwe now they can get on of these ....

http://www.divadiamonds.net/images/inventory/19531.jpg

Kaylore
06-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Get real, clown. Fat Football Genius???

You expect a peep out of denver players with Der Fuhrer around?

Most of the team didn't even play with Cutler and are adult enough to know its a business. I will say Scheffler probably misses his drinkin' buddy.

Los Broncos
06-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Just wait Hester, just wait.

broncofan7
06-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Just wait until he goes 11-5 and makes the playoffs while we are debating who should start after our bye week this year..Simms or Orton....

Bronx33
06-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Just wait until he goes 11-5 and makes the playoffs while we are debating who should start after our bye week this year..Simms or Orton....

Iam waiting ohhh great karnak..

Northman
06-24-2009, 02:41 PM
When does Jay Cutler sit down and talk to people? He doesnt even answer phones.

Rabb
06-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Just wait Hester, just wait.

yep, hell I had no problem with Cutler at all even with the Rivers debacle

until he started acting like a douche in the off season

maybe I am wrong and Jay was just unhappy, although I have a feeling that the person didn't change...just the uni

MagicHef
06-24-2009, 02:47 PM

Wow, we have a late bye this year.

oubronco
06-24-2009, 02:49 PM

don't forget Brandstetter

footstepsfrom#27
06-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Hester is just now learning the position of WR after playing DB before this. I wonder how good he'll be with that arm in the lineup? He's got to be salivating at the prospects.

NYBronco
06-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Hester is saying all the right things because he's trying to become Jay's major target. Similar to all the Broncos saying all the right things about McD and the coaching approach he is bringing to Denver.

tsiguy96
06-24-2009, 03:27 PM
tired of hearing it?

maybe cutler should not have performed the actions that makes legendary leaders of the game call his maturity into question?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-24-2009, 03:33 PM

He'll sit down and talk, but Bus Cook has to be there.

Pseudofool
06-24-2009, 04:19 PM
If being relaxed and making guys laugh is the only tangible evidence that Hester can come up with to laud Cutler's maturity and leadership qualities, well, that's saying something.

rmsanger
06-24-2009, 04:30 PM
He's far better than what we got...

Northman
06-24-2009, 04:45 PM
He's far better than what we got...

Ha!

maher_tyler
06-24-2009, 04:52 PM
tired of hearing it?

maybe cutler should not have performed the actions that makes legendary leaders of the game call his maturity into question?

Exactly!!

fdf
06-24-2009, 05:04 PM
HESTER DEFENDS CUTLER'S HONOR

So Jay wouldn't sleep with Hester on the first date?

Stupid headline.

Mr.Meanie
06-24-2009, 05:18 PM
They caught this on camera!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNO6On7cK1M

BroncoBuff
06-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Hester's description jibes with what I think about Jay, but how much does it matter to us anymore?

tsiguy96
06-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Hester's description jibes with what I think about Jay, but how much does it matter to us anymore?

cutler basically admitted he handled his whole trade situation like a baby when he said jason campbell is handling his situation good by keeping it out of the media. you do not cry your way out of town, blow off all your fans and teammates because youre feelings are hurt while ALREADY having a reputation as a whiner/moper and questionable leadership abilities, and then instantly gain credibility as a leader, it has to be earned and cutler never has. you know. hesters description is the description of the guy who will be throwing him the ball for several more years, is he supposed to call him out?

rastaman
06-24-2009, 05:58 PM

Depends on who's calling! :rofl:

SureShot
06-24-2009, 06:07 PM
tired of hearing it?

I remember Terry Bradshaw calling out this douche as well.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/08/17/nfl.most.controversial/elway.jpg

tsiguy96
06-24-2009, 06:11 PM

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/08/17/nfl.most.controversial/elway.jpg

and maybe in 20 years we will hear about future hall of famer Jay Cutler, but for right now, he clearly was very, very childish and immature about his departure from denver and in the process offended a lot of people and threw so many people under the bus over his feelings, its incredible.

SureShot
06-24-2009, 06:15 PM
and maybe in 20 years we will hear about future hall of famer Jay Cutler, but for right now, he clearly was very, very childish and immature about his departure from denver and in the process offended a lot of people and threw so many people under the bus over his feelings, its incredible.

Who did he throw under the bus again? Since it is so many people I'm sure you can give me five at least.

tsiguy96
06-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Who did he throw under the bus again? Since it is so many people I'm sure you can give me five at least.

nearly every single broncos fan? before his BS started, we all obviously wanted him back as he is a good QB. some of us changed our minds once his true colors came out.

how about his teammates who wanted him here to keep throwing to them or blocking for him?

he put his immature hurt feelings before all his teammates and fans.

Northman
06-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Depends on who's calling! :rofl:

Good point. Maybe next time they should say they are from Budweiser. Ha!

Northman
06-24-2009, 06:29 PM

Who's Terry Bradshaw?

BroncoBuff
06-24-2009, 06:42 PM
nearly every single broncos fan? before his BS started, we all obviously wanted him back as he is a good QB. some of us changed our minds once his true colors came out.

how about his teammates who wanted him here to keep throwing to them or blocking for him?

By that mild standard tsi, John did the same thing to Colts teammates/fans.

The analogy, as always, is a good one.

BroncoBuff
06-24-2009, 06:43 PM
In fact, John Elway's situation was much much worse.

At least Jay said he would show up for mandatory functions. John on the other hand said he was headed back to Oneonta ... that's the BIG middle finger.

Of course we'll never know if Jay would have actually shown up at mini-camp, but I for one believe he was sincere. The whole thing might've blown over.

SureShot
06-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Who's Terry Bradshaw?

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/NBCSports/Sections/Personal/Jervay,%20John/NFL/Curran%27s%20actors%20and%20NFL/080515_Terry-Bradshaw.hmedium.jpg

tsiguy96
06-24-2009, 07:13 PM

and it would be true, if we were colts fans we may still be bitter about the trade, would you not? look waht they got out of the deal.

you think chicago is made cutler forced his way out of denver? i gaurantee you they arent, just as we werent made john whined about playing in baltimore.

BroncoBuff
06-24-2009, 09:21 PM
you think chicago is made cutler forced his way out of denver? i gaurantee you they arent, just as we werent made john whined about playing in baltimore.

Have you been drinking?

No judgment here mind you, in fact I thought you might wanna join me ;D

watermock
06-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Karma's a biacth.

Elway drinks, Cutler drinks, Orton drinks.

Elway thew picks, Favre threw picks, Cutler throws picks.

All Manning, Elway, Cutler all wanted out.

All 3 demanded trades.

In fact, Elway could of been the next Ryan Leaf. Cutler is coming off record season and went to the probowl. Favre was simply traded for a second.

Cutler never officially held out, he just let his agent talk.

All 3 got what they wanted.

Rmember Eli Manning?

Behind the scenes
ESPN reported that immediately before the draft, Chargers' General Manager A.J. Smith refused the Giants' offer that consisted of three 2004 first day picks, and 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2005.[citation needed] Smith had demanded Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora be part of the deal, and Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi would not permit it. Finally, after the Giants had made the move to draft Rivers, Smith agreed to an all-pick trade without Umenyiora. Smith called Accorsi to make a deal.[3] Part of the deal was that the Giants would select quarterback Philip Rivers out of North Carolina State University with the #4 pick overall and trade that pick, plus other selections (including the Giants #1 pick the following year), to the Chargers for Manning's rights and additional considerations.[3] Smith submitted his desire for Philip Rivers, the Giants' 2004 3rd round pick, and both the Giants' 1st and 5th round picks for 2005. Accorsi initially refused, but after Smith closed talks, Accorsi accepted the offer and the NFL finalized it.

Coincidentally, the aforementioned Elway had been the last overall #1 pick to be traded before playing a single down for the team he drafted prior to this trade.

[edit] Giants received
Rights to 2004 1st Overall Pick, Eli Manning.

[edit] Chargers received
Rights to 2004 4th Overall Pick, Philip Rivers.
2004 3rd Round Draft Pick - Used to draft and sign Kicker Nate Kaeding.
2005 1st Round Draft Pick - Used to draft and sign Linebacker Shawne Merriman.
2005 5th Round Draft Pick - Traded to Tampa Bay Buccaneers for Left Tackle Roman Oben.

Jesus. Like this is something new and unheard of, especially with the total overhaul of Denver.

SoCalBronco
06-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Good job, Devin. :thumbsup:

tsiguy96
06-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Have you been drinking?

No judgment here mind you, in fact I thought you might wanna join me ;D

made=mad.....how i messed that up twice i dont know....

GreatBronco16
06-24-2009, 10:26 PM

How many years did he play for the Colts again? Perhaps you can show me some of Elways stats with the Colts.

BroncoBuff
06-24-2009, 10:45 PM
How many years did he play for the Colts again? Perhaps you can show me some of Elways stats with the Colts.

whooosh!

Right over yer head, pal. Reply was to this:

tsiguy96
06-24-2009, 10:59 PM
whooosh!

youre argument makes no sense, really.

jay cutler decided his feelings were worth more than the entire team and all his fans, i wasnt the one who made the john elway comparison.

elway simply didnt like the organization, which is a slight to the fans of that team as well, but cutler had been in town for a few years showing us what hes capable of, then cried his way out of town.

Popps
06-25-2009, 12:20 AM

jay cutler decided his feelings were worth more than the entire team and all his fans, i wasnt the one who made the john elway comparison.

elway simply didnt like the organization, which is a slight to the fans of that team as well, but cutler had been in town for a few years showing us what hes capable of, then cried his way out of town.

It's pretty amazing that people would compare Elway's situation to Cutler's.

Actually, around here... not a total shocker.

First off, Elway made it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that he WOULD NOT play for the Colts, for a number of very logical reasons. He also had the Yankees in waiting, so it should have been apparent that he was serious. (And he was.)

The Colts chose to draft him anyway, knowing the circumstances.

Jay Cutler went b#tch-crazy when he found out there were other QBs in the league.... and/or when we wouldn't give him a big salary raise for no reason. (Depending on which you choose to believe.)

He left, under contract... for no apparent reason, with no warning, with no attempt to work it out with the staff.

Beyond that, why don't we just quit soiling Elway's name by associating him with that bowl-haircut dip****?

There's an idea.

GreatBronco16
06-25-2009, 01:33 AM
whooosh!

And my point went right over your head. There is a difference between the two. Cutler actually played for the team he ran out on. Elway never even put on a practice jersey for the Colts. Elway didn't abandon team mates or fans, for the simple fact that he was never on that team to begin with.

Pal.:twokisses

tsiguy96
06-25-2009, 01:46 AM
And my point went right over your head. There is a difference between the two. Cutler actually played for the team he ran out on. Elway never even put on a practice jersey for the Colts. Elway didn't abandon team mates or fans, for the simple fact that he was never on that team to begin with.

Pal.:twokisses

said it better than i. elway DID essentially insult the organization as a whole, however cutler abandoned the teammates, coaches, and all the fans who had been cheering for him for 2+ years...

chrisp
06-25-2009, 02:48 AM
With Elway, he had told the Colts GM before he was even drafted that he wouldn't play for the Colts coach Frank Kush, and the Colts drafted him anyway. Added to that, he had leverage in that he could play baseball at a high level, and might even been able to have had a stellar career in that sport too....

So whilst there are some similarities, I do feel that Jay has waved goodbye to fans who supported him, whereas Elway never did, which does make a difference. This is a purely emotional fan thing, and the fact that Cutler is now a Bear, and that Elway spent his whole career with us and retired a bronco means that I do feel inclined to support the latter, whereas I feel no similar obligation with the former...

Thing is, I feel that the comparisons to Elway are valid for other reasons too. For years we had a star QB who, with a solid defense made us a regular playoff team, but somehow we just couldn't win the big one. When we finally did, it was with that star QB playing a supporting role. I think the same will be true of Cutler: with that defense, he will instantly make the bears competitive, but without decent offensive coaches and a better supporting cast, he won't be able to beat the best when it counts.

Here in Denver, we are going to have to wait and see what we really have, but its clear that it is all going to be about the TEAM, so if we win we will win as a team, not becuase we have one great player, and that gives us a better chance of being able to win it all, becuase once you get to the top of the playoffs, you have to be versatile, and you have to have a good team overall.

That's not to say we ARE going to get there - we may or may not, but if we do, I don't see us hitting the same glass ceiling that Jay and his Bears may find themselves butting against...

What I will say, however, is that Jay is definitely an entertaining player, and those fans in Chicago will have some fun, so even if what I say turns out to be true, it may be a good 5-10 years before the Bears faithful start to question the new Messiah. I may also find myself grudgingly supporting him, particulary in the NFC playoffs...

In short, I wish he was still here, but that he also wanted to be here - if that's no the case I would rather he were gone....

Williams
06-25-2009, 06:26 AM

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/broncoking16/elway_super_t613.jpg

Please refrain from using The Duke as any kind of reference in threads about the Emo Quarterback. At least until he gets one of those shiny trophies you see above. AKA probably never.

Go Broncos.

Rabb
06-25-2009, 07:45 AM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/broncoking16/elway_super_t613.jpg

Please refrain from using The Duke as any kind of reference in threads about the Emo Quarterback. At least until he gets one of those shiny trophies you see above. AKA probably never.

Go Broncos.

I was just thinking that

BroncoBuff
06-25-2009, 10:13 AM

I'm not sure you realize what you're doing, but you're using opinions as if they're facts, and then "reaching" a factual conclusion therefrom. That doesn't work ... any credible factual conclusion is based upon facts, points or stipulations.

"Jay decided his feelings were worth more than the team and fans" is obviously an opinion only, and an angry one at that.

The two cases are highly analogous. And objectively, John was a bit worse, as such: The Colts and their fans "earned" the top draft pick, and Elway gave them the middle finger, wouldn't even show up. Jay on the other hand said he would show up at mandatory functions, and I for one believe him.

No comparison ... as much as I love him, John's conduct was worse.

BroncoBuff
06-25-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure you realize what you're doing, but you're using opinions as if they're facts, and then "reaching" a factual conclusion therefrom. That doesn't work ... any credible factual conclusion is based upon facts, points or stipulations.

"Jay decided his feelings were worth more than the team and fans" is obviously an opinion only, and an angry one at that.

The two cases are highly analogous. And objectively, John was a bit worse, as such: The Colts and their fans "earned" the top draft pick, and Elway gave them the middle finger, wouldn't even show up. Jay on the other hand said he would show up at mandatory functions, and I for one believe him.

No comparison ... as much as I love him, John's conduct was worse.

I'm not trying to beat it into the ground tsi, but above see the RED is the fact, the BLUE is the opinion as indicated in the text.

It's fine you think Jay was a crybaby, I agree with you actually ;D ... but John was definitely a crybaby too. And whoever said John would have excelled in baseball has a very selective memory .... John was a AA or AAA talent at best. He might've had a cup of coffee in the majors, but by all accounts, he was not major league material.

No, I don't think John was ever serious about playing baseball, he just didn't want to play for Frank Kush ... he wanted to go elsewhere to play football. He threw a tantrum, and thankfully he got what he wanted.

Eli Manning was the same thing, though unlike the Colts, San Diego received good value in that trade.

:USA:

tsiguy96
06-25-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm not trying to beat it into the ground tsi, but above see the RED is the fact, the BLUE is the opinion as indicated in the text.

It's fine you think Jay was a crybaby, I agree with you actually ;D ... but John was definitely a crybaby too. And whoever said John would have excelled in baseball has a very selective memory .... John was a AA or AAA talent at best. He might've had a cup of coffee in the majors, but by all accounts, he was not major league material.

No, I don't think John was ever serious about playing baseball, he just didn't want to play for Frank Kush ... he wanted to go elsewhere to play football. He threw a tantrum, and thankfully he got what he wanted.

Eli Manning was the same thing, though unlike the Colts, San Diego received good value in that trade.

:USA:

the situation is different. cutler was here for 3 years, had fans and teammates depending on him and cheering for him. elway was not in baltimore for even a minute, and the colts got well more then fair trade value for him, its their fault they did not make the best of it.

do you not see the difference?

SureShot
06-25-2009, 10:40 AM
the situation is different. cutler was here for 3 years, had fans and teammates depending on him and cheering for him. elway was not in baltimore for even a minute, and the colts got well more then fair trade value for him, its their fault they did not make the best of it.

LOL! Do you even know what they got for him? QB Mark Herrman, OL Chris Hinton, and OG Ron Solt is not fair trade value.

tsiguy96
06-25-2009, 10:42 AM
LOL! Do you even know what they got for him? QB Mark Herrman, OL Chris Hinton, and OG Ron Solt is not fair trade value.

chris hinton was the #4 pick overall that year, the colts also got the first round pick the next year, as well as teh QB and OG.

2 firsts and 2 players for a rookie QB.

SureShot
06-25-2009, 10:48 AM
chris hinton was the #4 pick overall that year, the colts also got the first round pick the next year, as well as teh QB and OG.

2 firsts and 2 players for a rookie QB.

Wrong. The compensation was Mark Herrman and 2 firsts that became Hinton and Solt. Horrible deal for the MOST anticipated QB draft prospect maybe ever.

BroncoBuff
06-25-2009, 10:50 AM

I see the difference you're pointing out, I just don't think it makes either guy more or less a crybaby. You could easily say ... though I don't necessarily believe it ... "at least Jay showed up for passing camp and said he would be there at minicamp. John never even showed up."

It's hard to fault John for anything (obviously), but he was so very clearly the #1 overall pick. The Colts and their team and theior fans "earned" the right to have him. The baseball thing was a diversionary tactic ... it was always about football.

tsiguy96
06-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Wrong. The compensation was Mark Herrman and 2 firsts that became Hinton and Solt. Horrible deal for the MOST anticipated QB draft prospect maybe ever.

not a "horrible deal" at all when you consider he was a rookie QB that was not going to paly for the team that drafted him. they either traded him or lost the pick.

Merlin
06-25-2009, 11:55 AM
you do not cry your way out of town
Elway cried his way out of town before he even threw a single pass, yet we think he is one of the greatest football leaders in history (and yes, he also was (?) a heavy drinker). The double standards in this forum are astonishing at times. It's like a bunch of emo teenagers crying because their little hearts got broken.

Northman
06-25-2009, 11:57 AM
http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/NBCSports/Sections/Personal/Jervay,%20John/NFL/Curran%27s%20actors%20and%20NFL/080515_Terry-Bradshaw.hmedium.jpg

Oh, the dude from Cannonball Run. ;D

BroncoBuff
06-25-2009, 11:59 AM
not a "horrible deal" at all when you consider he was a rookie QB that was not going to paly for the team that drafted him. they either traded him or lost the pick.

Dude I like you, but THOU HAST FAIL!