ohiobronco2
06-24-2009, 10:22 AM
sad.....

why does it say that Casey is a Chief?

Or....It's McPoopypants fault. I can't decide ;D

SoDak Bronco
06-24-2009, 10:34 AM
From the Waterloo Courier

PARKERSBURG � Shock and disbelief reverberated around the state today with the stunning news that one of Iowa’s best known high school football coaches was shot and killed this morning in the weight room of the high school.

Coach Ed Thomas was rushed to a hospital after being shot. Covenant Medical Center officials confirmed about 10:30 a.m. that Thomas, 58, died shortly after arrival in the emergency room.

Several reports say Thomas was shot in the head.

Butler County Sheriff Jason Johnson said that a suspect has been taken into custody and is at the Butler County Sheriff’s Office.

“It’s a young individual,” Johnson said.

“We know of no other injuries,” Johnson said.

A witness said someone shot Thomas in the school’s converted weight room next to the high school. There were students using the weights in the room at the time, and reportedly were several eye witnesses.

The gunman fired several shots at the coach, they said.

The incident happened shortly before 8:30 a.m.

Traffic was stopped briefly on Highway 20 as an air ambulance landed and picked the coach up from an awaiting ambulance.

Thomas was reportedly air-lifted to Covenant Medical Center in Waterloo.

The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation has been called in, said Jon Thompson, superintendent of A-P schools.

Crime scene tape surrounded a large part of land around the red shed that has been converted to the weight room while the new Aplington-Parkersburg school is being rebuilt after the 2008 tornado destroyed the old school.

a crowd was gathering near the school. People driving by could be seen crying.

Parents and students were gathering about 9:45 a.m. at the elementary school. Officials said they would have a press conference later this morning on developments in the case.

Thomas just finished his 37th season of coaching. He has a career record of 292-84, including 156-31 as Aplington-Parkersburg’s head coach. He won state titles in 1993 and 2001.

Altogether Thomas has led A-P to 19 state playoff appearances. Thomas’ win total ranks ninth all-time amongst Iowa high school football coaches.

Thomas began his coaching career at Northeast Hamilton in Blairsburg.

He was the NFL High School Coach of the Year in 2003.

He has four former players active in the NFL --- Brad Meester of Jacksonville; Jared DeVries; Casey Wiegmann of Denver; Aaron Kampman of Green Bay.

“You know, Coach Thomas is the pillar of the community. Anything that affects him affects Parkersburg,” Johnson said.

Gov. Chet Culver this morning reacted with sadness.

"It's just awful. My thoughts and prayers are for Coach Thomas and his family and the Parkersburg community. I know him well. I've been a real fan of his. As an old coach myself, he epitomizes what it means to be a high school football coach.

"He's just a legend. He's an incredible role model for the generations of kids in the Parkersburg area. He's someone that I really admire a great, great deal. He was instrumental in bringing Parkersburg back (after the 2008 tornado)," Culver said.