PDA

View Full Version : Better Safety

BearMan18
06-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Lynch or Dawkins to their respective careers at this point.

Both have been Broncos, so a completely fair view should be realistic.

Ready....

GO!

Baba Booey
06-23-2009, 10:42 PM
I'll take the guy with the ring but God knows I love me some Weapon X.

BearMan18
06-23-2009, 10:52 PM
I'll take the guy with the ring but God knows I love me some Weapon X.

Me too. But John Lynch was a cover 2 player and Dawkins was a zone blitz player.

One guy plays a deep half primarily sticking with base D constantly.

One guy plays a constantly shifting role of blitzing, covering, recently a fourth linebacker, etc.

No offense, but the cover 2 is harder to rack up stats as a S than a blitzer and an OLB and protected from passing attacks.

boltaneer
06-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Lynch was a great player in his prime but he's no Brian Dawkins.

Too bad Dawkins is past his prime as well. :flower:

TheReverend
06-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Lynch was a great player in his prime but he's no Brian Dawkins.

Too bad Dawkins is past his prime as well. :flower:

Post reasoning?

Outside of Lynch ripping Brees's shoulder out of it's socket and forcing your franchise into a worse QBOTF, I can't envision a reason for you to be unbiased.

:)

Kaylore
06-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Post reasoning?

Outside of Lynch ripping Brees's shoulder out of it's socket and forcing your franchise into a worse QBOTF, I can't envision a reason for you to be unbiased.

pwnt

cmhargrove
06-24-2009, 07:01 AM
I think it was mentioned before they have played different versions of the safety position.

Both influence game plans which is what I look at as a measuring stick of a "great player."

We will get into ticky tacky arguments here because I love them both. However, Lynch has a ring.

boltaneer
06-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Post reasoning?

Actually, Lynch injuring Brees turned out to be a great thing. It made the PR decision to "get rid of Brees" much easier. But more importanly the Chargers ended up with a better quarterback IMNSHO. :)

The only bad thing was the lack of compensation (third round compensatory pick) for losing Brees.

BTW, I'm a huge Lynch fan since he's a San Diego boy and because I've watched a ton of Tampa Bay games over the past decade (long story but hence the Boltaneer nickname) and a class act on and off the field. And while I think Dawkins was a great player, I've never really been a fan of him. They were in completely different systems that asked their safeties to do different things but Dawkins was definitely more of a play maker. If the roles were reversed I don't think Lynch could have filled Dawkins' shoes IMO.

Garcia Bronco
06-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Lynch hands down

TheReverend
06-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Actually, Lynch injuring Brees turned out to be a great thing. It made the PR decision to "get rid of Brees" much easier. But more importanly the Chargers ended up with a better quarterback IMNSHO. :)

The only bad thing was the lack of compensation (third round compensatory pick) for losing Brees.

BTW, I'm a huge Lynch fan since he's a San Diego boy and because I've watched a ton of Tampa Bay games over the past decade (long story but hence the Boltaneer nickname) and a class act on and off the field. And while I think Dawkins was a great player, I've never really been a fan of him. They were in completely different systems that asked their safeties to do different things but Dawkins was definitely more of a play maker. If the roles were reversed I don't think Lynch could have filled Dawkins' shoes IMO.

Fair enough. You're insanely wrong, but even so, you backed your post up with supporting information.

Being a cover 2 safety is much more challenging than being shifted around, blitzed, and rotating coverage.

JJ's scheme is flat out built to confuse, pressure and create big plays.

Kiffin's was up front: Here's what we do. Beat it.

In fact, I'd say the infrequency Lynch was challenged speaks volumes about his cerebral ability to diagnose the play and always be in the right spot at the right time. Best hitter this decade as well, bar none.

Mountain Bronco
06-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Lynch by a bit. Harder assignments, better hitter (not by much though) and smarter players, plus the ring puts it over the top. If BDawkins get ring, the discussion is tougher though.

Punisher
06-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Dawkins

Rugby7
06-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Why debate over who was the 3rd best safety to play for Denver? Seems kinda silly.

Northman
06-24-2009, 05:35 PM
The Punter

boltaneer
06-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Speaking of Dawkins, I wonder if he now regrets leaving Philly. Things certainly have changed since he signed with Denver.

s0phr0syne
06-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Speaking of Dawkins, I wonder if he now regrets leaving Philly. Things certainly have changed since he signed with Denver.

I've been wondering that with every new drama that has occurred as well.

In the end, both him and Champ are getting paid mad coin, so I guess that keeps them somewhat happy?

TheReverend
06-24-2009, 06:28 PM

I'm certain. His reasons for coming were public. 1) the great offense. 2) made him feel like he was exactly what we needed.

Traded QB. May trade best WR. And now we've seen that he's replaced in nickel packages and other passing downs so he'll only be playing roughly 30% of defensive snaps... so... yeahhhhhhhhhhhh.

broncosteven
06-24-2009, 07:57 PM
And now we've seen that he's replaced in nickel packages and other passing downs so he'll only be playing roughly 30% of defensive snaps... so... yeahhhhhhhhhhhh.

BUT I thought X-something was going to strap this team on his back and take us to the SB this year!

You telling me he will do that playing only 30% of the snaps? I would rather resign the big Vag Lynch. At least he could line up on the LOS and stop the run.

Mediator12
06-24-2009, 09:41 PM
This is a good litmus test to see who actually watches and understands football. There is no right answer, just how people view players like Ed Reed and Dawkins who played in insanely aggressive defenses that generate Sportscenter highlights. Lynch made plays from the Cover 2, just like Bob Sanders does when he is not hurt. Much harder to hit people out of that defense and setup, but nevertheless Sportscenter hype prevails all too often.