PDA

View Full Version : Article - "Ravens should avoid Marshall"

Popps
06-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Nothing groundbreaking, but for football-desperate folks...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-sp.preston20jun20,0,7779485.column

The Ravens have brought in their share of troubled players in the past, but none would have had more run-ins with the law than if the Ravens trade for Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall.

Bam Morris. Jamal Lewis. Ralph Staten. They had issues, but not as often as Marshall. He has had 13 police incidents since 2004 and a pending misdemeanor battery charge.

Brandon Marshall, a Raven? Oh, please, no. Hell, no.

The Ravens have expressed interest in Marshall, and they have to because they could really use a top-notch receiver. But this doesn't appear to be the guy you want if you are trying to build team chemistry. He might be labeled a go-to receiver, but just where in the world is he going?

Right now, the Ravens are sending double messages to the public. Every April before the NFL draft, they talk about selecting "high-character" guys, and they have the past couple of years. But you can't describe Marshall as "high-character." Let's be polite, and just call him a character.

The Ravens will run an extensive background check on Marshall, and regardless of what they find, they will sign Marshall if: a) they don't have to mortgage away the future by giving up draft picks; b) they don't have to trade any top-notch players to obtain him; c) and they get Marshall to agree to a contract that won't disrupt their salary cap structure.

The Ravens are in position to be serious contenders this season. When that happens, and you believe you're just a player away, you can take a gamble on a hired gun, such as Brett Favre, or a troubled player, such as Terrell Owens or Marshall.

High-character? See you next April.

The problem is that owner Steve Bisciotti brought in coach John Harbaugh last season to restore order to a team that was run by surly veterans. Because the Ravens were successful last season, Harbaugh won over the team. Now his message has to be consistent.

The Ravens made a statement when they cut disgruntled cornerback Chris McAlister several months ago and when they allowed outspoken, free-agent linebacker Bart Scott to sign with the New York Jets.

But what does it say when you bring in a player with Marshall's background?

It says you are willing to compromise your standards to win. The Ravens are no different from most NFL teams, even though each team will tell you differently. There is a risk here.

This is quarterback Joe Flacco's second season, and this should be the year he establishes himself as the unquestioned leader on offense. But putting Flacco in the huddle with Marshall and Mr. Enigma, Willis McGahee, could be courting problems.

When news first broke about the Ravens being interested in Marshall, I didn't think it was true. The Ravens have been linked with every prominent receiver available even though they weren't interested in some of them.

I was hoping this was more of a smokescreen, and behind it the Ravens were sending a message to receivers Derrick Mason, Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams about getting healthy and ready for training camp.

But since then, I've learned that the Ravens really have some interest. They like Marshall's 6-foot-4, 230-pound frame. They like his presence in the red zone, and he would give some credibility to a passing game that lacks a true home run hitter. They like that he has caught 226 passes for 2,899 yards and 15 touchdowns during three seasons in Denver.

But not even the Ravens can sweep all of Marshall's problems under the rug. Most people believe in giving others second chances, but where are we with Marshall?

Anybody got a calculator?

The odds of Marshall coming to Baltimore are about as great as the Detroit Lions winning the Super Bowl. I like those percentages. The Ravens have had their share of problems, and they don't need another one.

Just say no. Hell, no. Marshall worth risk? Should the Ravens try to acquire Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall? Cast your vote at baltimoresun.com/ravens. Here are the results through 10 p.m. Friday. es 59.7% No 40.3%

PRBronco
06-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Uh oh, I hope Mike Williams of the Jaguars doesn't take this too hard.

rastaman
06-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Nothing groundbreaking, but for football-desperate folks...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-sp.preston20jun20,0,7779485.column

The Ravens have brought in their share of troubled players in the past, but none would have had more run-ins with the law than if the Ravens trade for Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall.

Bam Morris. Jamal Lewis. Ralph Staten. They had issues, but not as often as Marshall. He has had 13 police incidents since 2004 and a pending misdemeanor battery charge.

Brandon Marshall, a Raven? Oh, please, no. Hell, no.

The Ravens have expressed interest in Marshall, and they have to because they could really use a top-notch receiver. But this doesn't appear to be the guy you want if you are trying to build team chemistry. He might be labeled a go-to receiver, but just where in the world is he going?

Right now, the Ravens are sending double messages to the public. Every April before the NFL draft, they talk about selecting "high-character" guys, and they have the past couple of years. But you can't describe Marshall as "high-character." Let's be polite, and just call him a character.

The Ravens will run an extensive background check on Marshall, and regardless of what they find, they will sign Marshall if: a) they don't have to mortgage away the future by giving up draft picks; b) they don't have to trade any top-notch players to obtain him; c) and they get Marshall to agree to a contract that won't disrupt their salary cap structure.

The Ravens are in position to be serious contenders this season. When that happens, and you believe you're just a player away, you can take a gamble on a hired gun, such as Brett Favre, or a troubled player, such as Terrell Owens or Marshall.

High-character? See you next April.

The problem is that owner Steve Bisciotti brought in coach John Harbaugh last season to restore order to a team that was run by surly veterans. Because the Ravens were successful last season, Harbaugh won over the team. Now his message has to be consistent.

The Ravens made a statement when they cut disgruntled cornerback Chris McAlister several months ago and when they allowed outspoken, free-agent linebacker Bart Scott to sign with the New York Jets.

But what does it say when you bring in a player with Marshall's background?

It says you are willing to compromise your standards to win. The Ravens are no different from most NFL teams, even though each team will tell you differently. There is a risk here.

This is quarterback Joe Flacco's second season, and this should be the year he establishes himself as the unquestioned leader on offense. But putting Flacco in the huddle with Marshall and Mr. Enigma, Willis McGahee, could be courting problems.

When news first broke about the Ravens being interested in Marshall, I didn't think it was true. The Ravens have been linked with every prominent receiver available even though they weren't interested in some of them.

I was hoping this was more of a smokescreen, and behind it the Ravens were sending a message to receivers Derrick Mason, Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams about getting healthy and ready for training camp.

But since then, I've learned that the Ravens really have some interest. They like Marshall's 6-foot-4, 230-pound frame. They like his presence in the red zone, and he would give some credibility to a passing game that lacks a true home run hitter. They like that he has caught 226 passes for 2,899 yards and 15 touchdowns during three seasons in Denver.

But not even the Ravens can sweep all of Marshall's problems under the rug. Most people believe in giving others second chances, but where are we with Marshall?

Anybody got a calculator?

The odds of Marshall coming to Baltimore are about as great as the Detroit Lions winning the Super Bowl. I like those percentages. The Ravens have had their share of problems, and they don't need another one.

Just say no. Hell, no. Marshall worth risk? Should the Ravens try to acquire Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall? Cast your vote at baltimoresun.com/ravens. Here are the results through 10 p.m. Friday. es 59.7% No 40.3%

So what's your point with this article? Are you hoping the entire league colludes together as a favor to Bowlen inorder to make Bmarsh come groveling into camp and do his masters bidding to fullfill his contract obligations???? LOL

Popps
06-23-2009, 05:38 PM
So what's your point with this article? Are you hoping the entire league colludes together as a favor to Bowlen inorder to make Bmarsh come groveling into camp and do his masters bidding to fullfill his contract obligations???? LOL

My point?

I didn't write it.

cmhargrove
06-23-2009, 07:00 PM
I love that regardless of the article, the fans are still 60% yes. Classic.

TonyR
06-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Are you hoping the entire league colludes together as a favor to Bowlen inorder to make Bmarsh come groveling into camp and do his masters bidding to fullfill his contract obligations????

Collusion or not, the market for Brandon Marshall is most likely very, very weak right now. Groveling probably won't be necessary but if he wants to get paid this year he's going to have to show up and play football at some point, and the sooner the better for all parties involved.

gyldenlove
06-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Ravens will take a big dive from last year? Flacco didn't look like the second coming of anyone interesting, their defense was dominant, but losing Scott will hurt and the effect of a new coach is gone.

Popps
06-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Collusion or not, the market for Brandon Marshall is most likely very, very weak right now. Groveling probably won't be necessary but if he wants to get paid this year he's going to have to show up and play football at some point, and the sooner the better for all parties involved.

Yea, for a number of reasons... many financial, I just don't see us extending him under these terms.

Paladin
06-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Can the poor boy make ends meet on 2.2 mil?

BearMan18
06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Ravens will take a big dive from last year? Flacco didn't look like the second coming of anyone interesting, their defense was dominant, but losing Scott will hurt and the effect of a new coach is gone.

Strong points, however, their core is still intact... Lewis, Gregg, Ngata, Reed, all return.

Foxworth actually provides a STRONG corner since McAllister was in his prime (see Atlanta last season), and more than makes up for the absence of Scott, imo.

Offensively, they have a pretty good nucleus that will progress... Flacco, Geather (spelling? OT they took in the supplemental that I wanted real bad), Mark Clayton, McGahee.

On paper, they're not half bad. The defense can minimally carry that team to another post season for a good 2-3 seasons while the offense picks up steam.

BearMan18
06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Can the poor boy make ends meet on 2.2 mil?

Strong jealousy from a poor nerd, imo.

GreatBronco16
06-23-2009, 10:28 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=2433&dateline=1245539982

LOL

Popps
06-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Anyone know how long the "funny" Orton joke thing is going to play out with the fake posters? Anyone heard an ETA?

Honestly, it started sort of ho-hum, and is just painfully dull, now.

GreatBronco16
06-23-2009, 10:30 PM

Yeah really Popps. I mean you should really know better. The only kind of articles you should be posting about are those about how the Bears WRs are all #1 WR, and they can catch everything thrown at them by Elway, I mean Cutler.

Popps
06-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Yeah really Popps. I mean you should really know better. The only kind of articles you should be posting about are those about how the Bears WRs are all #1 WR, and they can catch everything thrown at them by Elway, I mean Cutler.

My bad.

I'm going to go scan the net for Bears news so I can fit in. Be back soon.

GreatBronco16
06-23-2009, 10:38 PM
My bad.

I'm going to go scan the net for Bears news so I can fit in. Be back soon.

That's more like it.:giggle:

BroncoBuff
06-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Fine with me .... the fewer teams interested the better.

I hope he stays here and retires from the Broncos in 2022.

Cito Pelon
06-24-2009, 07:23 AM

I won't be surprised if their record slips some.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-24-2009, 07:28 AM

Are you retarded? He posted a football article on a football website.

And yes. Generally speaking, a contract means you have to uphold your end. It has nothing to do with collusion.

Moron.

Cito Pelon
06-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Fine with me .... the fewer teams interested the better.

I hope he stays here and retires from the Broncos in 2022.

Ah, receivers move around a lot. They always think they're undervalued and the teams think they can be replaced. It wasn't long ago Hines Ward was hollering for a new contract. I think he's done that a couple times.

Mediator12
06-24-2009, 08:32 AM
This article is how other FO's view Marshall. He is a Probowl player that has TO Drama associated with him, without the TD ratio. Sure, he is a great WR, but he is not the player he could be and he comes with tremendous risk to chemistry and even being on the field...

Beantown Bronco
06-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Here's some great insight from the article:

Hey genius, I challenge you to name one single team that wouldn't want Marshall if he came to them for little to no compensation and signed for short money. Unreal.

fdf
06-24-2009, 09:20 AM

Yes. Groveling is good. Maybe McPoopyHead should make him crawl and lick shoes, or something like that. Or make him write "I will not beat women and I will not hold out" on the blackboard 250 times. What do you think? Really, the possibilities are endless.

Popps
06-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Here's some great insight from the article:

Hey genius, I challenge you to name one single team that wouldn't want Marshall if he came to them for little to no compensation and signed for short money. Unreal.

Right. If he didn't want a major contract upgrade, WE'D extend him.

But, he does.

Cutler brought a little more than I thought, but he's a QB. I just can't see any team out there breaking the bank for Marshall, again... given the circumstances.

rastaman
06-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Are you retarded? He posted a football article on a football website.

And yes. Generally speaking, a contract means you have to uphold your end. It has nothing to do with collusion.

Moron.

Okay "Chuckle Nuts" its just an observation......generally speaking, contracts are made to be broken as well, nothing is etched in stone. Also, collusion is always a possibility b/c the NFL owners are a small fraternity in the first place. What an idiot you truly are.

rastaman
06-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Yes. Groveling is good. Maybe McPoopyHead should make him crawl and lick shoes, or something like that. Or make him write "I will not beat women and I will not hold out" on the blackboard 250 times. What do you think? Really, the possibilities are endless.

Good points......the possibilities are endless on the head games both McD and BMarsh can play with one another btwn July and December 2009. This situation could really turn into a great Reality Show.

The Plastic Liar Man vs The Boy Friend Domestic Abuser! Boy imagine the ratings. ;D

rastaman
06-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Right. If he didn't want a major contract upgrade, WE'D extend him.

But, he does.

Cutler brought a little more than I thought, but he's a QB. I just can't see any team out there breaking the bank for Marshall, again... given the circumstances.

The key is avoiding permanent annimosity that could develop btwn Marshall, McDaniels and Bowlen and its unrepairable. The what you have is Marshall leaving the Broncos anyway b/c the fences could not be repaired. Meaning despite the Broncos getting around to offering BMarsh a fair new contract btwn 2010 and 2012......Marshall will just seek a new city, new fans, a new team and the Big pay day he was always looking for.