PDA

View Full Version : Broncos in 2009 supplemental draft!

HEAV
06-22-2009, 11:47 PM
No links or quotes. Just a piece of info that came my way...;)

July 16

Corey Surrency Wr Florida State

Denver will put a claim on him.

Doesn't have the hands (yet) but the same physical traits of Marshall. Big (6-5), solid frame at 215-220 and a 40 time in the 4.5 range. Goes up for the ball, makes plays after catch. On the down side his older (24) and is still a raw talent. He could be a steal under the correct development and given a chance.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tXkiRlyPSX4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tXkiRlyPSX4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SoCalBronco
06-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Surrency is a very good player and was the victim of highly technical NCAA rules that forbade him from returning to Florida State in 2009.

However, with the supplemental draft, don't you have to give up a pick in the following draft to take a player now?

I sure hope not.

HEAV
06-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Yes is Denver puts in a bid and they win that bid they then would have to give up a 2010 selection. So if they put in a 4th round bid,then they would give up a 2010 4th rounder.

Sacked by Croel
06-23-2009, 01:01 AM
He's not a HN. Pull the trigger, Broncos!

Popps
06-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Looks gigantic out there.

Certainly could be a guy who could develop. Worst case scenario, he's a nice endzone weapon from close range. Throw it up and let him go snag it.

He doesn't look very fluid, though. Looks sort of lumbering out there compared to Marshall. But, I'd need to see more video.

Pretty intriguing, either way. When was the last time we had a supplemental pick? (Assuming this happens.)

watermock
06-23-2009, 01:33 AM
The Next Hixon !

OBF1
06-23-2009, 02:02 AM
Wasen't Bobby Humphrey a Supplemental pick???

backup qb
06-23-2009, 04:16 AM
Yes, I am pretty sure Humphrey was a supp pick.

s0phr0syne
06-23-2009, 05:21 AM
wow, could def. be worth a 4th-7th round pick from next year. course, I'm just basing that off of the highlight tape, which is never a good idea.

Thanks for passing this along!

gyldenlove
06-23-2009, 05:41 AM
This guy will fail.

He is 24 and he couldn't hold on to the soap in an Alabama state prison communal shower, his hands will never be NFL level.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-23-2009, 05:49 AM
The Next Hixon !

Bitch, bitch, bitch. That's all mock is capable of.

broncofan
06-23-2009, 05:57 AM
He'll end up on the PS and we'll never hear about him again.

The "lumbering" description is exactly what I noticed too. High center of gravity all the time (highlight at 1:10...a big guy like that should be lowering his head and punishing a DB, not spinning in place and getting upended). If he can't catch either then forget about it.

alkemical
06-23-2009, 06:12 AM
The Next Hixon !

Hixon has a SB ring...

Just sayin'

SoDak Bronco
06-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Heav any indication of the value we wil bid on this guy? hopefully a 6th or something?

ColoradoBuff
06-23-2009, 07:23 AM
guy initially signed with CU out of juco....dude has talent. hopefully they didn't put anything more than a 6th or 7th on him. we'll see!

OrangeRising
06-23-2009, 07:24 AM
b****, b****, b****. That's all mock is capable of.

Me too!!

I only hope the resident coaching neophyte isn't handing over the 2010 2nd or 3rd round draft choice for this.

He seems to believe you build a team through character alone. Who needs the draft anyway? All a bunch of over-payed never-will-be's.

Smiling Assassin27
06-23-2009, 07:25 AM
H-Back or TE. The way i see it, unless the guy you get in the supp draft is a once in a draft kind of guy, you can get the same type of guy a year later. I don't see what it is about this guy that makes him a must have, as we could either get him or a guy like him in the next draft. He's a prjoect but i don't see 'special' written on the guy.

Garcia Bronco
06-23-2009, 07:27 AM
FSU trash. Pass.

Popcorn Sutton
06-23-2009, 07:56 AM
I wonder how many receivers they are planning on keeping on the active roster? It would be a shame to waste a 4th rounder next year on this guy and he gets swiped off the practice squad.

rugbythug
06-23-2009, 08:09 AM
When is the Supp Draft. I thought not for several more weeks.

telluride
06-23-2009, 08:46 AM
I'd love to see Denver manage something like SD did with V. Jackson. Grab a big but raw WR, and then let him develop over a few seasons. You could argue that Jackson is now one of the top 3 WRs in the division, and SD's patience/development of him is to be admired.

rugbythug
06-23-2009, 09:01 AM
I'd love to see Denver manage something like SD did with V. Jackson. Grab a big but raw WR, and then let him develop over a few seasons. You could argue that Jackson is now one of the top 3 WRs in the division, and SD's patience/development of him is to be admired.

V Jackson was a 2nd round pick.

Beantown Bronco
06-23-2009, 09:02 AM

He was a 2nd round pick though. He may have been a tad raw when he came out, but it's not like he was "undrafted FA-raw". And he did have 6 TDs in only his 2nd season in the league as a part-time WR, so they really didn't have to be that patient.

Popps
06-23-2009, 09:23 AM
The Chargers landed Jamal Williams in the supplemental draft.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-23-2009, 09:43 AM
He was a 2nd round pick though. He may have been a tad raw when he came out, but it's not like he was "undrafted FA-raw". And he did have 6 TDs in only his 2nd season in the league as a part-time WR, so they really didn't have to be that patient.

This guy, i sincerely doubt, is undrafted-FA raw. As someone mentioned before, he's in the supplemental because his eligibility was stripped due to a technicality? Obviously, he's got some size, seems like an athlete. If they see something in him and laid a 5th or 6th round claim, could anyone really bitch about it?

Beantown Bronco
06-23-2009, 09:46 AM
This guy, i sincerely doubt, is undrafted-FA raw. As someone mentioned before, he's in the supplemental because his eligibility was stripped due to a technicality? Obviously, he's got some size, seems like an athlete. If they see something in him and laid a 5th or 6th round claim, could anyone really b**** about it?

Nothing to disagree with there. 2nd or 3rd round claim would certainly get my attention, though.....and not in a good way.

c_lazy_r
06-23-2009, 10:03 AM
This guy, i sincerely doubt, is undrafted-FA raw. As someone mentioned before, he's in the supplemental because his eligibility was stripped due to a technicality? Obviously, he's got some size, seems like an athlete. If they see something in him and laid a 5th or 6th round claim, could anyone really b**** about it?

Around here?? Hell yes they'd b****. We could get Peyton Manning, Adrian Peterson and Troy Polomalu and some people on the Mane would still cry about how f-d we are...

:wiggle:

s0phr0syne
06-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Around here?? Hell yes they'd b****. We could get Peyton Manning, Adrian Peterson and Troy Polomalu and some people on the Mane would still cry about how f-d we are...

:wiggle:

Yeah, because Peyton, AD, and Polamalu don't play on the DL.

:P

ORTONRULES
06-23-2009, 10:30 AM
So is the Heav guy a double secret agent or did he pull this out his ass???

HEAV
06-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Heav any indication of the value we wil bid on this guy? hopefully a 6th or something?

No idea how high a draft selection they will bid on him. Just was told they have interest him and plan on making a bid in the sup draft.

From looking at his FSU highlights, only one year, and his Jr. College highlights he isn't starting NFL ready. But like Popps said above Corey could be used in spots against smaller corners (go up and get it) and could develope in a few seasons.

Also could be and insurance policy against Marshall and his antics.

JCMElway
06-23-2009, 10:43 AM
If we draft Surrency I think it becomes much more likely that Marshall is traded.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-23-2009, 10:49 AM
If we draft Surrency I think it becomes much more likely that Marshall is traded.

Nah, don't think its an indictator of anything

Requiem
06-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the tidbit, but I hope the source isn't the KFFL message boards where someone thought it'd be cool if we grabbed him.

BearMan18
06-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Curious. First Baker, and if we make this move, so much for "character" players.

BroncoBuff
06-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Curious. First Baker, and if we make this move, so much for "character" players.

History shows there are some jewels in that rough ... Pedalescuea and/or Baker and/or Surrencey. Betcha one or more of those three goes on to a productive NFL career. The key is accurately differentiating between the Maurice Claretts and the Jamal Williamses.

ZONA
06-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Wow, I don't see how some of you guys can see "lumbering" on the tape. Most of the footage was showing the QB in the pocket and then the camera following the ball in the air and then he jumps high to snag it. Cmon, get real already. You can't hardly tell jack from that short amount of tape. You don't get to see any real routes with the camera just on him. You guys are really really reachin on those comments. And how "fluid" did Marshall look as a junior in college and how good were his hands? Why don't we just go ahead and compare this young man to HOF Jerry Rice while we are at it.........lol.

The only thing I can say is that he's big and has good speed for his size. Maybe worth taking a shot at him with using a 5th rounder or lower. I would be shocked if we used a 4th or higher on this guy.

telluride
06-23-2009, 02:11 PM
How does a supplemental claim work, anyway? For instance, do we say we'll spend up to a 5th rounder on this guy, and no more? And then if someone offers up a fourth they get him? and when does this all take place?

Abqbronco
06-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Wasen't Bobby Humphrey a Supplemental pick???

And "Touchdown" Tommy Maddox I believe. That worked out pretty well too.

Paladin
06-23-2009, 02:24 PM
This guy will fail.

He is 24 and he couldn't hold on to the soap in an Alabama state prison communal shower, his hands will never be NFL level.

Gosh! Were you there when he dropped the soap?

I think he's worth a 5th.

Paladin
06-23-2009, 02:26 PM
And "Touchdown" Tommy Maddox I believe. That worked out pretty well too.

Nah. Maddox was Reeves' number 1 pick in the regular draft....

Took him over Carl Pickins of Tennesee.....

oubronco
06-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Nothing to disagree with there. 2nd or 3rd round claim would certainly get my attention, though.....and not in a good way.

McD says "get ready to be pissed"

broncofan
06-23-2009, 05:36 PM

You won't hear any bitching from me...but every year we find ways to get over hyped about undrafted FAs or late round draft picks. I've just gotten to the point where I assume the impact is going to be minimal, if at all. With that said...doing this or taking somebody in the 6th round next year is irrelevant.

HEAV
06-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the tidbit, but I hope the source isn't the KFFL message boards where someone thought it'd be cool if we grabbed him.

Nope has nothing to do with any message board (didn't even know KFFL had a board) Mane is the only football board I hang on.

Just got a tip from a buddy that gave me tidbits in the past. Hope it comes true...at the right price of course nothing over a 4th.

PaintballCLE
06-23-2009, 08:35 PM
How does a supplemental claim work, anyway? For instance, do we say we'll spend up to a 5th rounder on this guy, and no more? And then if someone offers up a fourth they get him? and when does this all take place?

The Supplemental Draft, is designed to allow underclassmen --who did not petition the league for early entry before the NFL Draft deadline but find themselves ineligible for the upcoming college season-- a vehicle for entering the NFL. The supplemental draft is held after the traditional NFL Draft and before each season begins.

The league uses a weighted three-step, semi-lottery system to determine the order of the supplemental draft as follows:

•Teams with six wins or less participate in the first lottery for the top supplemental draft picks. The team that posted the worst record among that group is given a weighted advantage over the following team, with each team's "weight" being decreased on down the line until reaching the team with the best record in the group.

•The second group consists of non-playoff teams and follows the same weighted system.

•The third group consists of last season's 12 playoff teams and, again, follows the same lottery system.
After the order is determined, each team submits to the league the name of the player(s) they are interested in, as well as the round of the supplemental draft they would like to choose them in. The team that submits the highest bid is awarded rights to the player. If more than one team bids a pick from the same round, the team with the highest pick in the round wins out.

If a team uses a pick in the Supplemental Draft, they must forfeit their choice in the corresponding round of the next years NFL Draft.