PDA

View Full Version : Sirius NFL Radio's picks for Broncos Golden Anniversary Squad

BigPlayShay
06-22-2009, 01:32 PM
http://www.sirius.com/nfl

Offense
QB: John Elway
RB: Terrell Davis
RB: Floyd Little
WR: Rod Smith
WR: Lionel Taylor
TE: Shannon Sharpe
OL: Gary Zimmerman
OL: Tom Glassic
OL: Tom Nalen
OL: Paul Howard
OL: Ken Lanier

Defense
DL: Barney Chavous
DL: Rubin Carter
DL: Greg Kragen
DL: Rich "Tombstone" Jackson
LB: Karl Mecklenburg
LB: Randy Gradishar
LB: Tom Jackson
DB: Louis Wright
DB: Bill Thompson
DB: Steve Atwater
DB: Champ Bailey

Special Teams
ST: Rick Upchurch
K: Jason Elam
P: Tom Rouen

Coach
C: Mike Shanahan

BearMan18
06-22-2009, 01:40 PM
I know a few of the names.

Pretty mediocre squad and horribly coached.

PRBronco
06-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Gaaaaah no Simon Fletcher! /shakes fist at the heavens

SonOfLe-loLang
06-22-2009, 01:48 PM

if the coach is running the 3-4, simon is in!

Man-Goblin
06-22-2009, 01:53 PM

Fletcher was primarily a linebacker, no? I don't see who he would replace on that list.

I think Al Wilson makes it ahead of Mecklenburg, too, since they really don't seem to be sticking to positions. Maybe that's just because he is fresher in my mind.

Other notable omissions/honorable mentions off the top of my head: Dennis Smith and Tony Jones. Jones probably didn't play for them long enough, but he is one of the most underrated Broncos in history.

Also, if we're putting FBs on there, Howard Griffith gets the nod, no question.

Darrien Gordon for KR? or am I missing someone...

broncocalijohn
06-22-2009, 01:54 PM

We needed to run the 4-4 to make that happen. I am the biggest Fletcher homer in the world but those 3 names ahead of him are tough to crack. If he sees this list, he probably knows that he is so under cover that he cant crack his own team's "best of" list. 99 sacks and no probowls. travesty!

ORTONRULES
06-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Isnt Tom Jackson the one that ESPN is always showing running over some RB from KC?

BigPlayShay
06-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Keep in mind this is just what Sirius NFL Radio thinks. This is not the official team that you are able to vote on at denverbroncos.com

MileHighMagic
06-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Fixed

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Coach

Cheerleader
CL: Renee Herlocker

SonOfLe-loLang
06-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Isnt Tom Jackson the one that ESPN is always showing running over some RB from KC?

probably thinking of Steve Atwater

Gcver2ver3
06-22-2009, 02:02 PM
what?...no Anthony Miller?...

PRBronco
06-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Fletcher was primarily a linebacker, no? I don't see who he would replace on that list.

Yeah, I was just going by that cool selector site the Broncos had set up where you can make your own team, they had him listed as a DE in that, I was stoked, that way you can get him in there, as well as all our good linebackers.

bronclvr
06-22-2009, 02:09 PM
I listened to this yesterday and it was great-they had Louie Wright, Gary Zimmerman and a few before I started listening on and did some great Interviews-by the way, they said that Louie Wright is now part of Sirius (yay!)-

Anyway, it was great to hear all of the old Broncos-I was impressed with Wright and his takes. They did mention Fletcher but he wasn't included. I did not know that Louie Wright still lived in Denver and that he coaches a High School who's name is the Raiders Hilarious!

Zimmerman now lives in Oregon, and only listens to the Broncos-said he can't hardly listen anymore because his brain says that he wants to play but his body won't let him. Wright follows the Bronco's closely and is disapointed in the Cutler deal. One of the earlier Players works in PR for the Bronco's and said the Marshall thing is overblown (?)-

I listened for 3 or so Hours and it was great to hear from past Broncos-

mattob14
06-22-2009, 02:10 PM

I think Al Wilson makes it ahead of Mecklenburg, too, since they really don't seem to be sticking to positions. Maybe that's just because he is fresher in my mind.

Other notable omissions/honorable mentions off the top of my head: Dennis Smith and Tony Jones. Jones probably didn't play for them long enough, but he is one of the most underrated Broncos in history.

Dennis Smith stounds out to me, maybe Schlereth at OL. I'm surprised Kragen made the list. I'd probably put Fletcher or Alzado into that DL spot.

Dale Snorts Blow
06-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Paul Smith should be one of the DTs over Greg Kragen.

Dale Snorts Blow
06-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Dennis Smith stounds out to me, maybe Schlereth at OL. I'm surprised Kragen made the list. I'd probably put Fletcher or Alzado into that DL spot.

Fletcher and Alzado are DEs on the ballot. Kragen needs to be replaced with either Paul Smith or Trevor Pryce if you don't like him.

broncogary
06-22-2009, 02:28 PM
I'd have to put Paul Smith at DL instead of Kragen, and Stinky in place of Glassic.

lookin' glass
06-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Bucky Dilts, Luke Prestridge or Mike Horan were better choices than Rouen.

gunns
06-22-2009, 02:37 PM

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Coach

No Fletcher. I don't know if they are going by position but I don't think so. Fletcher was a LB but also played DE. If not going by exact position I'd kick out Kragen or Chavous before I'd not have Fletcher. Otherwise, nice list.

oubronco
06-22-2009, 02:38 PM
line em up!! let's play

JCMElway
06-22-2009, 03:02 PM
And not having DS 49 on that list is a complete crime. it's a shame, but I leave Billy Thompson out.

montrose
06-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Yesterday was a great day for a long road trip because it was basicly a Broncos-discussion all day. Per the 50th anniversary team that was made by Zig Fracassi, they (and callers) discussed a few other players too. A recap of the positions throughout the show:

QB: Easiest choice on the team with Elway however they said Craig Morton deserved mention for helping turn the team into a winner.
RB: Said TD has Hall of Fame credentials as does Floyd Little who they mentioned may have saved the franchise in Denver.
WR: Talked about how Lionel Taylor is one of the lesser known great players from the AFL era. Mentioned Ricky Nattiel, Ed McCaffrey and Brandon Marshall all as players who could be considered.
TE: Said Sharpe's numbers make him the choice but Riley Odoms was a great one as well.
OL: Not much discussion.
DL: Said Chavous was picked for consistency while some think Tombstone would've been the best DL of all-time if not for injuries. Considered Fletcher but said he could've also been listed as a LB.
LB: Mentioned Bob Swenson could be considered too.
DB: Talked about Dennis Smith and John Lynch as worth mentioning.
ST: Went with Elam over Turner because of his numbers.

All-in-all is was a good show. Billy Thompson was on and mentioned that Cutler had blown off some public appearances and that he thinks Orton will be a really good QB.

BigPlayShay
06-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Yesterday was a great day for a long road trip because it was basicly a Broncos-discussion all day. Per the 50th anniversary team that was made by Zig Fracassi, they (and callers) discussed a few other players too. A recap of the positions throughout the show:

QB: Easiest choice on the team with Elway however they said Craig Morton deserved mention for helping turn the team into a winner.
RB: Said TD has Hall of Fame credentials as does Floyd Little who they mentioned may have saved the franchise in Denver.
WR: Talked about how Lionel Taylor is one of the lesser known great players from the AFL era. Mentioned Ricky Nattiel, Ed McCaffrey and Brandon Marshall all as players who could be considered.
TE: Said Sharpe's numbers make him the choice but Riley Odoms was a great one as well.
DL: Said Chavous was picked for consistency while some think Tombstone would've been the best DL of all-time if not for injuries. Considered Fletcher but said he could've also been listed as a LB.

All-in-all is was a good show. Billy Thompson was on and mentioned that Cutler had blown off some public appearances and that he thinks Orton will be a really good QB.

Nattiel??? WTF?

gunns
06-22-2009, 03:29 PM

OMG! Morton was mentioned because he turned the team into a winner. That's like saying Trent Dilfer turned the Ravens into a winner.
(I know, here come all the Morton defenders, please)

RB and WR :thumbsup:

True on Tombstone, and Smith should have been included.

titan
06-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Pretty good mix of the old timers and more recent players on this team.

I agree with others on Paul Smith - definitely should be on there instead of Kragen. I remember when the Broncos played Dallas for the first time in 1973 after the game the Cowboys GM said "is this the way Paul Smith plays all the time??" Smith was one of the best dlineman in the game in 73/74.

On the other hand, Tom Glassic was an undersized offensive guard who got the most out of his abilities, but I think Schlereth was a better guard. And I'd put Clady on the team over Ken Lanier.

BroncoBuff
06-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Greg Kragen?!

Homos

Paladin
06-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Man, for his size, he was a gamer...........

Bronco Rob
06-22-2009, 05:43 PM

In 1983, the Denver Broncos drafted Karl Mecklenburg in the 12th round with the 310th pick overall. In spite of his low selection, Mecklenburg went on to become an integral part of the Broncos' Super Bowl teams of the 1980s. He played in six Pro Bowls. His 79.5 sacks is the second highest total in franchise history.

1985 - UPI: 1st team all-conf.
1985 - Associated Press: 1st team all-NFL
1985 - Pro Football Writers: 1st team all-NFL
1985 - Newspaper Ent. Assoc.: 1st team all-NFL
1986 - Pro Football Weekly: 1st team all-conf.
1986 - UPI: 1st team all-conf.
1986 - Associated Press: 1st team all-NFL
1986 - Pro Football Writers: 1st team all-NFL
1986 - Newspaper Ent. Assoc.: 1st team all-NFL
1986 - Pro Football Weekly: 1st team all-NFL
1986 - Sporting News: 1st team all-NFL
1987 - Pro Football Weekly: 1st team all-conf.
1987 - UPI: 1st team all-conf.
1987 - Associated Press: 2nd team all-NFL
1987 - Newspaper Ent. Assoc.: 1st team all-NFL
1989 - Pro Football Weekly: 1st team all-conf.
1989 - UPI: 1st team all-conf.
1989 - Associated Press: 1st team all-NFL
1989 - Pro Football Writers: 1st team all-NFL
1989 - Newspaper Ent. Assoc.: 1st team all-NFL
1989 - Pro Football Weekly: 1st team all-NFL
1991 - UPI: 1st team all-conf.

Not to mention the Albino Rhino played every position on the defensive front seven in 1985.

:thumbs:

B-Love
06-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Say what you want about his antics and him going to the Raiders but Lyle Alzado is the the best DE in the history of the team. He was the 2nd most dominant behind Tombstone, but Tombstone only really played 4 1/2 healthy years.

Lyle played 7 full intense, crazed and wild years and made things happen. He got us noticed too.

Barney Chavous was the epitome of a solid veteran contributor but he never dominated or changed a game. Lyle did.

The Dennis Smith Steve Atwater things still kills me. I's cut each guys lawn for free just to shake their hands afterwards. But the Dennis Smith Atwater disparity among fans and radio types is the biggest joke in the history of the team.

Dennis Smith was a better player than Atwater.

When asked who the best Defensive Player he ever played with was, John Elway responded "Dennis Smith".

And Mike Shanahan is also on record calling Smith the toughest player he ever saw.

Atwater was a great Bronco, just not as great as DS49!!

B-Love
06-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Props to Sirius for including Paul Howard. One of the most overlooked players in team history.

Besides Alzado, Howard was the 2nd most prominent weight room guy from that era.

And you'd be hard pressed to fin another player who started 3 or 4 years at a position for 3 different head coaches. Howard started 3 1/2 years for Ralston, 4 years for Red Miller and 5 years for Reeves.

Says alot!!

vancejohnson82
06-23-2009, 07:17 AM
man, LB has been a very thick position for the Broncos through the years

then again I'm smack in the middle of the book "'77" by Terry Frei and that is all about the LBs and the defense

Man-Goblin
06-23-2009, 07:23 AM

I heard the tail end of the show and they were talking about how Thompson addressed the Cutler situation and they seemed to implicate he talked about Cutler's drinking being a factor in the trade. Something about how it will all come out someday. Is that true or were they just talking about it on their own?

It seems that Thompson would have some inside info considering he works for the organization...

cutthemdown
06-23-2009, 08:26 AM

No way Wilson was a better play then Meck. Also Meck way more versatile and could move around a lot better then Wilson. Not as fast as Wilson but IMO a bigger hitter.

cutthemdown
06-23-2009, 08:28 AM
In 1983, the Denver Broncos drafted Karl Mecklenburg in the 12th round with the 310th pick overall. In spite of his low selection, Mecklenburg went on to become an integral part of the Broncos' Super Bowl teams of the 1980s. He played in six Pro Bowls. His 79.5 sacks is the second highest total in franchise history.

1985 - UPI: 1st team all-conf.
1985 - Associated Press: 1st team all-NFL
1985 - Pro Football Writers: 1st team all-NFL
1985 - Newspaper Ent. Assoc.: 1st team all-NFL
1986 - Pro Football Weekly: 1st team all-conf.
1986 - UPI: 1st team all-conf.
1986 - Associated Press: 1st team all-NFL
1986 - Pro Football Writers: 1st team all-NFL
1986 - Newspaper Ent. Assoc.: 1st team all-NFL
1986 - Pro Football Weekly: 1st team all-NFL
1986 - Sporting News: 1st team all-NFL
1987 - Pro Football Weekly: 1st team all-conf.
1987 - UPI: 1st team all-conf.
1987 - Associated Press: 2nd team all-NFL
1987 - Newspaper Ent. Assoc.: 1st team all-NFL
1989 - Pro Football Weekly: 1st team all-conf.
1989 - UPI: 1st team all-conf.
1989 - Associated Press: 1st team all-NFL
1989 - Pro Football Writers: 1st team all-NFL
1989 - Newspaper Ent. Assoc.: 1st team all-NFL
1989 - Pro Football Weekly: 1st team all-NFL
1991 - UPI: 1st team all-conf.

Not to mention the Albino Rhino played every position on the defensive front seven in 1985.

:thumbs:

Not to mention he bled like a hemophiliac. Dude would be covered in blood after games, all over his taped up arms and uniform. LOL I loved the sno goose he is so deserving of the list its not even funny.

I loved Al Wilson but honestly he was nowhere near what Meck brought to the defense.

rugbythug
06-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Not sure why but Trevor Pryce is not getting any love. He was a monster. The only one we had for years.

tsiguy96
06-23-2009, 08:34 AM
i wish someone would have posted this was on, there is a lot of guys with sirius radio and i would have listened....

worm
06-23-2009, 08:42 AM

You are trying way to hard.

Subtlety is clearly not your forte.

montrose
06-23-2009, 12:33 PM
I heard the tail end of the show and they were talking about how Thompson addressed the Cutler situation and they seemed to implicate he talked about Cutler's drinking being a factor in the trade. Something about how it will all come out someday. Is that true or were they just talking about it on their own?

It seems that Thompson would have some inside info considering he works for the organization...

They were talking on their own, Thompson was careful not to trash Cutler too bad. He mentioned how Jay skipped out on appearances but then said he also did work with his foundation so the fanbase was split 50-50 on him. Then he spoke highly of Orton. The hosts inferred the drinking thing a bit and one of them mentioned how Cutler is already turning away fans in Chicago for autographs.

Bronco Rob
06-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Not to mention he bled like a hemophiliac. Dude would be covered in blood after games, all over his taped up arms and uniform. LOL I loved the sno goose he is so deserving of the list its not even funny.

I loved Al Wilson but honestly he was nowhere near what Meck brought to the defense.

Yeah...The Defense has never recovered from the loss of Al Wilson..

His injury was the beginning of the end of OrangeCrush2.0..

Bronx33
06-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Where the f*** is dennis smith!!

rastaman
06-23-2009, 05:59 PM

Rick Upchurch was the Broncos greatest KR.

InMyCornerOfTheWorld
01-25-2011, 09:47 PM

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Coach

I know this thread is from a while back, but this is a great list! Wonderfully spread out with regards to players from specific eras. Would be so awesome if all these men could be superimposed on the same gridiron! :thumbsup:

Kaylore
01-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Where's Steve Tensi?!?!

Play2win
01-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Where's Steve Tensi?!?!

Not on patrol, that's for sure :ducksforcover:

strafen
01-25-2011, 10:31 PM
We needed to run the 4-4 to make that happen. I am the biggest Fletcher homer in the world but those 3 names ahead of him are tough to crack. If he sees this list, he probably knows that he is so under cover that he cant crack his own team's "best of" list. 99 sacks and no probowls. travesty!I think the most notable missing from that roster it's gotta be Dennis Smith without a question...

strafen
01-25-2011, 10:32 PM
I think Mike Horan was a better punter than Rouen...

strafen
01-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Greg Kragen?!

Homos

Hell yeah, one of the best NT in team's history...

baja
01-25-2011, 10:37 PM

I think I saw him at the Farmer's Market, he was working in security. He had a Smokey the Bear Hat. Looked cool.

broncocalijohn
01-25-2011, 11:41 PM

LOL!

newbies have no idea what that means.

TailgateNut
01-26-2011, 03:46 AM

yes

TailgateNut
01-26-2011, 03:51 AM
LOL!

newbies have no idea what that means.

Hilarious!

Bronco Yoda
01-26-2011, 04:20 AM
Fixed

:~ohyah!::
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hz7MzF-tuXs" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

dsmoot
01-26-2011, 05:14 AM
Sorry. You need to re-evaluate your OL, especially at guard. Schlereth is better than either guard. Tony Jones is probably better than Ken Lanier.

Lyle Alzado was an impact player for every year he was a Bronco. Somethings wrong with him not on list.

Yes, I saw everyone play except for Lionel Taylor.

dsmoot
01-26-2011, 05:20 AM
No way Wilson was a better play then Meck. Also Meck way more versatile and could move around a lot better then Wilson. Not as fast as Wilson but IMO a bigger hitter.

Agree with you. Wilson was mediocre in coverage, good vs the run. Mecks ability to put his hand on ground and rush, great filling holes, great side line to side line and very good vs TE in coverage.

BroncoBuff
01-27-2011, 07:31 PM
No DS49 .... ?

Abqbronco
01-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Nattiel??? WTF?

I thought the same thing. How many catches did he have?

orinjkrush
01-28-2011, 09:05 AM
here's from the site that lets you create your fav team:

HILife
01-28-2011, 06:25 PM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sWtSUgLm_Oo" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

TheReverend
01-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Jones doesn't get the love he deserves, imo.

gunns
01-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Yeah...The Defense has never recovered from the loss of Al Wilson..

His injury was the beginning of the end of OrangeCrush2.0..

I just reread this. This calls for an OMG! OrangeCrush2.0? It was so far from OrangeCrush it would be a -10. Never recovered from the loss of Al Wilson? There wasn't much to recover. Sorry, Wilson and Pryce would have been backups on the Crush.

And I was thinking of Tony Jones. He wasn't here long but his presence on the OL was immense.

gunns
01-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Where's Steve Tensi?!?!

LOL

footstepsfrom#27
01-28-2011, 10:33 PM

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Coach
I loved Billy Thompson but Goose Gonsoulin belongs in there. So does Al Wilson over Tommy Jackson because he had hardly any help and still went to how many pro bowls? Barney Chavous over Simon Fletcher and Rulon Jones, and Greg Kragen over Alzado? Come on now...Tom Glassic? Give me Keith Bishop instead. I'll also take Clady even with just one great year over Ken Lanier becaue I know he's going to be a fixture in the pro bowl...Tony Jones over Lanier also.

HorseHead
01-29-2011, 05:15 AM
Upchurch was fun to watch. Back in the paleozoic era, when we didn't have highlight shows. You would have to wait till halftime of the Monday Night Football games with Cosell and co.. Upchurch was always killing it, Otis Armstrong as well...ahhh, the 70's, time to go break out my Frampton Comes Alive album...

gunns
01-29-2011, 05:20 AM
I loved Billy Thompson but Goose Gonsoulin belongs in there. So does Al Wilson over Tommy Jackson because he had hardly any help and still went to how many pro bowls? Barney Chavous over Simon Fletcher and Rulon Jones, and Greg Kragen over Alzado? Come on now...Tom Glassic? Give me Keith Bishop instead. I'll also take Clady even with just one great year over Ken Lanier becaue I know he's going to be a fixture in the pro bowl...Tony Jones over Lanier also.

Have to say if listing Fletcher as a LB he should be in place of Jackson instead of Wilson. Agree if listed as DE, he should be over Chavous.

wyobronco
01-29-2011, 06:42 PM
I've got to defend TJ a bit. With all due respect to Simon Fletcher, who was always underappreciated, Tom Jackson was the heart and soul if one of the best, if not THE BEST, defense ever. TJ was the fire that made the Orange Crush go. He was the intangible that pushed that D from great to epic. "It's OVER fat man!"

wyobronco
01-29-2011, 06:45 PM
I saw an interview about the AFC Championship game in Cleveland. The defense was on the sideliine and TJ felt like the Broncos were lacking some fire. On a play that ended up out of bounds on Denver's sideline TJ grabbed a Browns player and shoved him into a group of Broncos, starting an altercation. This got the adrenaline flowing a little bit and helped fire up a flat Denver team. That's the kind of guy TJ was.

Houshyamama
01-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Looks like they held the Mustard, a bad choice.