PDA

View Full Version : Things I'm excited about for this year

mr007
06-21-2009, 12:50 PM
One of the major things that pissed me off about last year was the play calling. Shanny/Bates, or whoever was calling the plays really really annoyed me. I mean there would be a few games where I was like, wow, those are some freakin' amazing calls (Raiders and involvement of Royal is the one that comes off the top of my head).

Then there were so many games where I was like WTF are they doing, throwing the same damn WR screen like 15 times in a row, horrible calls in the read zone and specific situations that completely left my head scratching.

One thing about McDaniels is I know he will come in hungry. He has tremendous pressure to succeed mounted on his shoulders and while he will likely make mistakes, I think he is going to bring some things to this team that we have lacked for a long time... namely - creativity combined with consistency. There were too many times over the past few years where we would come up with some plan and simply not adjust. Playing the Colts with all Dlineman, playing the Dolphins with 10-15 yard cushions and letting Camarillo catch the 8 yard outs every effin play (I think that was the receiver who torched us last year that had me screaming).

Anyway, I firmly believe McD is someone who is willing to make proper modifications on the fly which we'll see a difference in this year.

I'm happy we haven't traded away Sheff or Hillis and I'm very excited to see Royal, BM (assuming he stays), Sheff, Moreno (assuming he turns out) and Hillis on the field at the same time. I think we are going to see a very creative and very consistent offense this year.

On D, the biggest expectation I have is proper game planning and necessary adjustments. I don't see our personnel being significantly better, but with proper coaching, leadership from guys like Dawkins, maybe we can make a decent turn around. Hopefully A.Smith turns out to be the corner opposite Champ and our front 7 is capable enough to prevent our secondary from making every tackle 10 yards downfield. I love summer, but this off season is taking too damn long!

Los Broncos
06-21-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm excited to see how Ayers plays, I'll be keeping an eye on him through pre season.

BroncoBuff
06-21-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm VERY excited for Ayers, Alphonso, Knowshon and Hillis ....

tnedator
06-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Play calling has been crap since Kubiak left (ironically, when he was here many people swore up and down that he didn't call the plays, but that Shanny really did).

If Shanahan hadn't been fired, I was hoping he would get more hands on with the offense again, because when the Broncos offense was at it's best (the first 10 years or so of Shanny's tenure), it was about constant misdirection and confusion. New formations every week, keeping the defense off balance and 'flowing' the wrong way.

Now, while McD is going to bring a completely different offensive scheme to the table, supposedly it is also about introducing new things every week so that the defense really doesn't know what to practice for. Not knowing what formations or what plays will popup out of nowhere.

What we will have to see, is how much of that McD can successfully implement here, since he will be flying solo without Belicheck running the show.

BroncoBuff
06-21-2009, 01:01 PM
... and the new Elvis Dumervil.

Seamus
06-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Well there won't be the deep pass plays to watch for....I guess we can see how many plays it takes for the O to establish the run. There may be some consistency with this, I don't see McD keeping the lottery style RB that Shanny did.
Somewhere I also saw that McD is better a coaching screens, Denver hasn't had a decent screen play in years! Chinese fire drill comes to mind. The short game essential in golf, good for long time consuming drives in football would be nice to keep our D off the field and out of the other teams O hands.

I would like to see a better D and better scheme instead of giving everything away in the third and forth quarter.

Killericon
06-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Nolan's defense.

NYBronco
06-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Nolan's defense and Denver's red zone scoring.

cutthemdown
06-21-2009, 01:25 PM
People have to realize some of the screens were just running plays in disguise. They weren't meant to get more then 3-5 quick yrds in lieu of a run.

I thought play calling was pretty slick they had a lot of wr running wide open even with throwing the ball alot. I also think WR let Cutler down quite a few times, then at end of yr I thought Cutler got innacurate and missed some open guys.

I do think this yrs play calling will be more to control ball which is smart.

tnedator
06-21-2009, 01:28 PM
People have to realize some of the screens were just running plays in disguise. They weren't meant to get more then 3-5 quick yrds in lieu of a run.

I thought play calling was pretty slick they had a lot of wr running wide open even with throwing the ball alot. I also think WR let Cutler down quite a few times, then at end of yr I thought Cutler got innacurate and missed some open guys.

I do think this yrs play calling will be more to control ball which is smart.

Whether play calling or Cutler's bad decision making, the first three games were marked with lots of short passes, a focus on moving the chains, which resulted in a massive offensive outburst. Game four or so, it seemed like Cutler kept trying to force the deep ball, with poor results going with those decisions.

ludo21
06-21-2009, 01:32 PM
DJ Williams in the 3-4

Punisher
06-21-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm VERY excited for Ayers, Alphonso, Knowshon and Hillis ....

Also I want to see Woodyard get some starting time and Larsen in rotation with Andre Davis :approve:

PRBronco
06-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Improved safety and middle linebacker play! And just seeing Hillis run again.

BroncoBuff
06-21-2009, 01:59 PM
PR that is a VERY creative avatar ... :thumbs:

SureShot
06-21-2009, 02:16 PM

Indeed!

oubronco
06-21-2009, 02:17 PM
One of the major things that pissed me off about last year was the play calling. Shanny/Bates, or whoever was calling the plays really really annoyed me. I mean there would be a few games where I was like, wow, those are some freakin' amazing calls (Raiders and involvement of Royal is the one that comes off the top of my head).

Then there were so many games where I was like WTF are they doing, throwing the same damn WR screen like 15 times in a row, horrible calls in the read zone and specific situations that completely left my head scratching.

One thing about McDaniels is I know he will come in hungry. He has tremendous pressure to succeed mounted on his shoulders and while he will likely make mistakes, I think he is going to bring some things to this team that we have lacked for a long time... namely - creativity combined with consistency. There were too many times over the past few years where we would come up with some plan and simply not adjust. Playing the Colts with all Dlineman, playing the Dolphins with 10-15 yard cushions and letting Camarillo catch the 8 yard outs every effin play (I think that was the receiver who torched us last year that had me screaming).

Anyway, I firmly believe McD is someone who is willing to make proper modifications on the fly which we'll see a difference in this year.

I'm happy we haven't traded away Sheff or Hillis and I'm very excited to see Royal, BM (assuming he stays), Sheff, Moreno (assuming he turns out) and Hillis on the field at the same time. I think we are going to see a very creative and very consistent offense this year.

On D, the biggest expectation I have is proper game planning and necessary adjustments. I don't see our personnel being significantly better, but with proper coaching, leadership from guys like Dawkins, maybe we can make a decent turn around. Hopefully A.Smith turns out to be the corner opposite Champ and our front 7 is capable enough to prevent our secondary from making every tackle 10 yards downfield. I love summer, but this off season is taking too damn long!

I agree and this circus of an offseason can't get over fast enough

Popps
06-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Count me in the Ayers/Doom crowd. I think those two wind up the key to our success this season.

Also...

-Have a real DC

-A focus on special teams

-Our defenders actually being coached to strip balls, bat balls down and attempt to create turnovers.

-Dawkins and his likely influence to toughen up the Denver defense again... which hopefully leads to opponents not looking forward to coming to Denver. (Like it used to be.)

tnedator
06-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Seeing Orton prove he is as good or better than Cutler, as so many fans claim now that the trade has been made.

Punisher
06-21-2009, 06:38 PM
I hope Rulon Davis and Chris Baker make the team to I think Davis can be a Really Good ST and I'm Hoping Baker becomes an ok NT too.

Popps
06-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Moreno is up there on my list, too.

Just player-specific, the guys I'm most excited to see in pre-season are...

1. Ayers
2. Dumervil at new position.
3. Moreno
4. Dawkins
5. Orton
6. Hillis (How does he fit, exactly?)

But, I'm also fairly stoked to see a lot of the role-players. Guys like Gaffney and Jordan don't look that exciting on paper, but remember what a fan favorite Pittman became? I think some of these new role-players have a chance of becoming surprise hits with the fans.

I'm out of my brain excited every season, but for some reason... this season just feels even more exciting, to me. I'm chomping at the bit for any bit of camp news, and we still have a LONG way to go.

gyldenlove
06-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Play calling has been crap since Kubiak left (ironically, when he was here many people swore up and down that he didn't call the plays, but that Shanny really did).

If Shanahan hadn't been fired, I was hoping he would get more hands on with the offense again, because when the Broncos offense was at it's best (the first 10 years or so of Shanny's tenure), it was about constant misdirection and confusion. New formations every week, keeping the defense off balance and 'flowing' the wrong way.

Now, while McD is going to bring a completely different offensive scheme to the table, supposedly it is also about introducing new things every week so that the defense really doesn't know what to practice for. Not knowing what formations or what plays will popup out of nowhere.

What we will have to see, is how much of that McD can successfully implement here, since he will be flying solo without Belicheck running the show.

Interestingly, especially in the 2008 season it was very obvious that the plays Shanahan scripted (approx the first 20) were almost always a lot better than the rest of the game.

In almost all games we moved the ball at will on the first drives and then we slowed down when we went from the plays Shanahan scripted to Bates calling the plays. I also believe that is why we looked relatively good in hurry up mode when Bates wasn't calling the plays.

Los Broncos
06-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Moreno is up there on my list, too.

Just player-specific, the guys I'm most excited to see in pre-season are...

1. Ayers
2. Dumervil at new position.
3. Moreno
4. Dawkins
5. Orton

But, I'm also fairly stoked to see a lot of the role-players. Guys like Gaffney and Jordan don't look that exciting on paper, but remember what a fan favorite Pittman became? I think some of these new role-players have a chance of becoming surprise hits with the fans.

I'm out of my brain excited every season, but for some reason... this season just feels even more exciting, to me. I'm chomping at the bit for any bit of camp news, and we still have a LONG way to go.

No one has mentioned Graham, I know he isn't exciting to watch.

Does he get less looks than before or did NE use the TE a lot?

A would assume they used them more in the red zone?

PRBronco
06-21-2009, 07:01 PM

Lol thanks :) Loves me some MS paint.

80smith
06-21-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm looking for some good time of possession on the offense. Keep the D off the field.

Ratboy
06-21-2009, 07:07 PM
The end of the season.

All jokes aside, I am excited about the defense. I believe they upgraded some positions and the 3-4 should be interesting. I am hoping to see Champ on the line, instead of 15 yards off. I think watching the progression of Ayers will be fun too.

TexanBob
06-21-2009, 07:34 PM
There's always an excitement to watch a team blown up and started over from scratch which is essentially what 2009 will be about for the Broncos. Most organizations go through this every 4-6 years but the Broncos haven't in 14 years so Bronco fans will get a dose of reality about what it is like to see a franchise with no stability.

From the ashes, Moreno will become a pro and we'll find a keeper or two in the front seven. But you really have your hopes too high if you think a rookie coach and an unproven defense are going to generate anything north of six wins this year. Then some of you may bitch less about those 8-8 seasons.

Popps
06-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Then some of you may b**** less about those 8-8 seasons.

I think we may have been lucky to reach 8 wins with Shanahan and Cutler still in tact.

You're right, clearly... we rebuild this year. But, if we're anywhere near 8-8, I think that's a big season for us, particularly if we're showing improvement week by week, which is the opposite of what we've done these past few seasons.

BearMan18
06-21-2009, 11:42 PM
I think we may have been lucky to reach 8 wins with Shanahan and Cutler still in tact.

You're right, clearly... we rebuild this year. But, if we're anywhere near 8-8, I think that's a big season for us, particularly if we're showing improvement week by week, which is the opposite of what we've done these past few seasons.

Completely agree.

Under Shanahan it's mediocre and abomination to the winning tradition of Broncos football.

Under McDaniels it's a big season, rebuilding and he deserves time.

Kyle Orton is HERE!

meangene
06-22-2009, 03:14 AM
I'm looking forward to us:

Being big and physical on defense!

Getting turnovers.

Making tackles.

Ayers and Smith being big contributers on defense as rookies.

McDaniel's playcalling.

Creative use of Moreno, Hillis and Scheffler to create mismatches.

Terrific special teams.

Improvement as the season goes on.

tnedator
06-22-2009, 06:33 AM

The wildcard/unkown this season is whether our schedule is going to be as brutal as it looks.

If the NFC East is as good as they can be, compared with the NFC North (which isn't a slouch division), plus NE and Indy, it really could be a brutal division, where if we played really good we could be a .500 or sub .500 team.

When you consider our defense was almost completely turned over and had a new scheme added, and that it appears our top two players on offense will be gone, and the offense is learning a new scheme and then factor in that schedule, it's really hard to predict whether we will be a 2 win team or a 10 win team, or somewhere in the middle.

Broncomutt
06-22-2009, 06:38 AM
I'm looking forward to a more motivated and more disciplined team now that their has been a regime change.

Hopefully with the destruction of the Shanny era, the team won't be so soft. :thumbs:

Spider
06-22-2009, 06:41 AM
All i want is when opposing fans see the Denver Broncos on their Schedule , they say **** , that will be a tough one

bowtown
06-22-2009, 06:54 AM
I look forward to Bob's excuses when Cassel is benched by game 3.

2KBack
06-22-2009, 07:06 AM
There's always an excitement to watch a team blown up and started over from scratch which is essentially what 2009 will be about for the Broncos. Most organizations go through this every 4-6 years but the Broncos haven't in 14 years so Bronco fans will get a dose of reality about what it is like to see a franchise with no stability.

From the ashes, Moreno will become a pro and we'll find a keeper or two in the front seven. But you really have your hopes too high if you think a rookie coach and an unproven defense are going to generate anything north of six wins this year. Then some of you may b**** less about those 8-8 seasons.

8-8 seasons happen, **** happens sometimes. It's not the record that pisses people off, it's how they earn it.
7-41
10-31 at home against the raiders
10-30
21-52

a combined 48-154

and that's without mentioning the disgusting efforts in KC and against buffalo. I'll take fighting and clawing but going 8-8 due to injury or whatnot, but the sad sack team that took the field half the games last season was disgusting.

BroncoInSkinland
06-22-2009, 07:18 AM
My biggest hope is that this year sets up next year. I hope we find a few players on the front 7 as another poster mentioned, but more over, I hope we identify and address the situation in FA and the draft next year. I am beginning to suspect that the d-line was such a mess that McDaniels/Nolan didn't even know where to begin fixing it. I hope that they figure this out, and target appropriately next year to finally solve the ongoing problem.

Moreno living up to his potential behind our line with Dennison and Turner is another bright spot that I am looking forward to seeing.

A revitalized and energetic young core of players with a team oriented approch is another.

The future of Broncos football evolving in front of our eyes is an exciting possiblity.

Dukes
06-22-2009, 07:51 AM

That's the key for me. I'm tired of the old Shanny teams coming out on fire then fizzling away. I want to see a team actually improve week to week. I don't particularly care how many games they win. For me, it's HOW they win or lose. If they lose a number of games by 10+ points then I see it as a failure. But if they are competitive in each game and only lose by a touchdown while improving, then I will consider this year a success.

tnedator
06-22-2009, 09:45 AM
All i want is when opposing fans see the Denver Broncos on their Schedule , they say **** , that will be a tough one

Yea, that will be a great day. It will be tought to pull that off this year, but if McD and the team does, it will be a happy day.

listopencil
06-22-2009, 09:57 AM

The easy answer is "H-Back", I guess.

BroncoBuff
06-22-2009, 10:12 AM

I agree ... but not because of the offense, the offense would've been high octane just like last year and almost every year. It was Slowick and the defense that would have kept us down, just as it did the past two years during which it was the worst defense in football.

And btw ... 'tact' has nothing to do with it.

BroncoBuff
06-22-2009, 10:16 AM
The easy answer is "H-Back", I guess.

I think it's kind of a shame everybody keeps pigeon-holing Hillis as an H-Back-type player. What makes them so sure he can't carry the load as a feature back? He did that pretty damn well for a few games last season ... and it's not like he's fragile, his injury on that catch would've knocked anybody out of action.

I'm excited about Knowshon ... but dammit Hillis better get his touches! :moody:

gyldenlove
06-22-2009, 10:31 AM
I am excited about the 3-4(5-2), we really need more pass rush and I think we can do that if they throw caution to the wind and go after the QB.

The other thing that really excites me is having a run game that can be counted on. I hate that 0 then 8 yard crap, I want a steady gain. Knowshon and Hillis should form quite a duo who can do some serious damage in all situations.

tnedator
06-22-2009, 05:31 PM
I think it's kind of a shame everybody keeps pigeon-holing Hillis as an H-Back-type player. What makes them so sure he can't carry the load as a feature back? He did that pretty damn well for a few games last season ... and it's not like he's fragile, his injury on that catch would've knocked anybody out of action.

I'm excited about Knowshon ... but dammit Hillis better get his touches! :moody:

It's a big "if", but if McFadden and Jones hadn't been recruited to Ark, Hillis was originally to be an RB rather than FB.

Bronco Rob
06-22-2009, 05:54 PM
I look forward to Bob's excuses when Cassel is benched by game 3.

;)