PDA

View Full Version : Broncos have leverage in Marshall stalemate

Bronco Rob
06-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Posted June 20, 2009 @ 11:20 a.m.
By Dan Parr

While it appears WR Brandon Marshall and the Broncos have come to a stalemate, with each side holding its ground as the team avoids giving in to Marshall's trade demand, sources say a trade is still possible if the team receives an offer to its liking. The problem is that few teams will be willing to put together an enticing package for Marshall, who is coming off hip surgery, has a history of off-field legal issues, which resulted in him being suspended for the first game of last season, and is demanding a lucrative long-term contract, even though he'll be a restricted free agent in 2010 if the league goes to an uncapped year. Marshall already has said goodbye to the team and its fans in a blog post on his Web site, but he has little leverage over the Broncos and most likely will remain in Denver, despite his best efforts to leave

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/06/20/broncos-have-leverage-in-marshall-stalemate

:sunshine:

Los Broncos
06-20-2009, 10:08 AM
See you in camp

BroncoBuff
06-20-2009, 10:23 AM
We knew all this several days ago ... ???

Pat's gonna give him something, something to save face while protecting the team, you watch.

TonyR
06-20-2009, 11:00 AM
...something to save face...

Save face? What do they need to save face from? Trading a player (Jay Cutler) who clearly didn't want to be there, and not giving a contract extension to an injured player (Brandon Marshall) who has an upcoming trial that could lead to a suspension?

Popcorn Sutton
06-20-2009, 11:03 AM

Pat's gonna give him something, something to save face while protecting the team, you watch.

I think as soon as Brandon eats crow and shows up at Dove Valley... proves he is healthy and has a good attitude they will cave and give him a contract.

I am pleased to see all the press coming out saying that Brandon has no leverage in this situation. Hopefully it will entice him to get in camp and earn that payday.

My take is, if Brandon stays firm and continues to hold out -- he may be holding back regarding the health of that hip. I could be wrong but it seems obvious that he has no leverage and holding out to the point of losing $$ would be a bad idea.

Popcorn Sutton
06-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Save face? What do they need to save face from? Trading a player (Jay Cutler) who clearly didn't want to be there, and not giving a contract extension to an injured player (Brandon Marshall) who has an upcoming trial that could lead to a suspension?

I agree. It's Marshall that will need to eat a big bowl of crow.

The only thing that saves him is if some team comes along and offers a trade the Broncos simply can't refuse. The odds of such happening are slim to none.

Punisher
06-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Justin Tuck and a 2nd round pick will be fine with me,I agree on paying Marshall with more money and a longer contract but i don't see it happening....

fdf
06-20-2009, 11:16 AM
My take is, if Brandon stays firm and continues to hold out -- he may be holding back regarding the health of that hip. I could be wrong but it seems obvious that he has no leverage and holding out to the point of losing $$ would be a bad idea.

Interesting thought. It may be the reason he is trying to force a new contract NOW is that he knows something about the hip that the team doesn't. In that case, it would be worth holding out and taking the penalties if you thought it would get you more money. But he would probably have to take a physical before the contract became effective. So I don't know.

ZONA
06-20-2009, 11:17 AM
OMG - an article that says absolutely nothing new. Imagine that. But hey, thanks for the post dude. NOT. You should lose a rep point for posting this. Hilarious!

bronco_boi_5280
06-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Wow. A "not" joke.

1995 called, it wants its joke back.

You're a tool.

TonyR
06-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Justin Tuck and a 2nd round pick will be fine with me...

Although I don't think there's much chance something like this happens, interesting that the Giants have both a need for a #1 WR and a surplus of D-Linemen (they signed Chris Canty and Rocky Bernard to an already stacked D-Line). That and Rocky Bernard (and their other front 7 FA signing, LB Michael Boley) has something in common with Brandon Marshall...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2009/03/03/2009-03-03_rocky_bernard_michael_boley_are_giant_ri.html

Popps
06-20-2009, 11:51 AM
has a history of off-field legal issues, which resulted in him being suspended for the first game of last season, and is demanding a lucrative long-term contract

Again, until we find out exactly what that means, it's hard to take sides on what he "deserves." We're all just guessing.

But I think most of us agree he's gone about this wrong.... and it's probably not going to work.

Popps
06-20-2009, 11:52 AM
I think as soon as Brandon eats crow and shows up at Dove Valley... proves he is healthy and has a good attitude they will cave and give him a contract.

I am pleased to see all the press coming out saying that Brandon has no leverage in this situation. Hopefully it will entice him to get in camp and earn that payday.

Nice post. This makes the most sense overall, imo...

The Joker
06-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Wow. A "not" joke.

This post may be the finest display of irony ever seen on the internet.

Baba Booey
06-20-2009, 12:06 PM

Yeah, he has to realize that he's not hurting anyone but himself financially by pulling this malarkey.

Baba Booey
06-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Although I don't think there's much chance something like this happens, interesting that the Giants have both a need for a #1 WR and a surplus of D-Linemen (they signed Chris Canty and Rocky Bernard to an already stacked D-Line). That and Rocky Bernard (and their other front 7 FA signing, LB Michael Boley) has something in common with Brandon Marshall...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2009/03/03/2009-03-03_rocky_bernard_michael_boley_are_giant_ri.html

If we're going to make a deal I'd say the Giants for a d-lineman would definitely be our best bet. Although with the way douchebag is acting combined with his past I can't see the Giants doing anything but laughing at us if we ask for Tuck.

BearMan18
06-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Yeah, he has to realize that he's not hurting anyone but himself financially by pulling this malarkey.

Strong username! Welcome.

Baba Booey
06-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Strong username! Welcome.

Thanks. Been reading the mane since last season, figured I'd join the madness.

BearMan18
06-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks. Been reading the mane since last season, figured I'd join the madness.

Then I'm newer than you!

Any tips?

Baba Booey
06-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Then I'm newer than you!

Any tips?

-No babe threads, under any circumstances, are to be started without pictures included.

That's pretty much it.

DHallblows
06-20-2009, 12:30 PM
-No babe threads, under any circumstances, are to be started without pictures included.

That's pretty much it.

Well ****, new guy did learn fast :thumbsup:

BearMan18
06-20-2009, 12:33 PM

That's pretty much it.

Well... I'm in my 30s, and my wife has 4 years on me and is a plus sized woman... so..........

Incoming pics? :)

ZONA
06-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Wow. A "not" joke.

You're a tool.

You bark at me for using an older "not" joke and then you turn around and use something (tool) even older. Your a D-BAG. How's that for something more current................lol.

BroncoMan4ever
06-20-2009, 03:42 PM

i truly think that was the plan all along. as soon as his TC started and his hip looked healed, they would have probably sat down and given him a new deal. same thing will probably happen but it might take a little while longer.

NFLBRONCO
06-20-2009, 04:20 PM
I think we have all seen different views of this dispute.

Saying goodbye to fans etc says to me he'd prefer out of here. I would like to hear him say I like it here and would love to stay if things can be worked out.

I don't buy the regime sitting him they won't want the distraction he'll be traded.

maher_tyler
06-20-2009, 05:59 PM
You bark at me for using an older "not" joke and then you turn around and use something (tool) even older. Your a D-BAG. How's that for something more current................lol.

I like bag of douche myself or heaping pile of douche :rofl:

BabyTO
06-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Profootballweekly...guessing, once again. No clue what they're talking about. No sources. It's like reading the blog of a random NFL fan. That might be the worst website on the internet.

rastaman
06-20-2009, 06:22 PM

Sure he's hurting himself financially......but he also hurts the Broncos offensively wise should he decide not to play at his 07 and 08 levels performance. Merely going down with arm tackles or steping out of bounds instead of fighting for extra yards or no longer allowing two or three tacklers to bring him down, will effect the offense.......but this change of play also saves Brando's body from risky injuries. Brandon needs to be healthy and pass the team(s) physical that may be interested in his services in 2010 or 2011!! 2009 maybe Denver's best chance to demand a high draft pick for BMarsh.

Both sides loose in my opinion. Both sides must come to some even compromise and put their egoes aside. Once you force BMarsh into camp, he will show up but the chances of him becoming a cancer in the locker room during training camp, the pre-season, and the regular season only magnifies.

You fans are sorely mistaken if you believe by management forcing Brandon into camp equals a return of the Brandon Marshall from 2007 and 2008.

Bronx33
06-20-2009, 06:36 PM
God marshalls agent is stupid.

DenverBrit
06-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Brandon, before it's too late.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/funny-pictues-cat-has-a-plan-for-your-fridge.jpg

Premier-Ace55
06-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Sure he's hurting himself financially......but he also hurts the Broncos offensively wise should he decide not to play at his 07 and 08 levels performance. Merely going down with arm tackles or steping out of bounds instead of fighting for extra yards or no longer allowing two or three tacklers to bring him down, will effect the offense.......but this change of play also saves Brando's body from risky injuries. Brandon needs to be healthy and pass the team(s) physical that may be interested in his services in 2010 or 2011!! 2009 maybe Denver's best chance to demand a high draft pick for BMarsh.

Both sides loose in my opinion. Both sides must come to some even compromise and put their egoes aside. Once you force BMarsh into camp, he will show up but the chances of him becoming a cancer in the locker room during training camp, the pre-season, and the regular season only magnifies.

You fans are sorely mistaken if you believe by management forcing Brandon into camp equals a return of the Brandon Marshall from 2007 and 2008.

Yeah that may be true but it is what it is he will still draw a double team it is my experience that if you play that way you can it injured anyways. What my hope is though is that Denver and Marshall can come to an agreements gives him a contract that protects the broncos and pays him what he is worth.

cutthemdown
06-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Wr just not worth trading for. Teams saw how it didn't do much for Dallas. We will see how Roy Williams does this yr but I doubt he ever makes people think it was worth the high pick.

I'm thinking no teams will make good offers, Marshalls agent will tell him no team really wants you enough to give us leverage.

Marshall will show up, say it was more about the misdiagnosed hip then money, try to have a good yr and save face.

Without the big no health issue type yr Marshall is in a bit of a bind. He would be a restricted FA also. If Marshall can't go into next yrs FA without needing any rehab etc he could get a pretty good offer broncos would have to match or let him walk.

BroncoBuff
06-20-2009, 07:39 PM
God marshalls agent is stupid.

Well, maybe ... but remember an agent's first duty is to his client. He might have (probably did) advise Brandon against leaving the team ... but once he hit the parking lot with an armload of boxes, the agent's job was to make the best of that situation for Brandon. At that point, he really has to use the media to his best adavantage, to get the right message out he thinks is most likely to get Brandon what he wants.

cutthemdown
06-20-2009, 07:40 PM

Let's say he does do that. How does that help him get money in restricted FA next yr? Will being a malcontent, locker room cancer, dogging it on the field get him a huge offer? I would say if Brandon does the things you say he will, then Broncos have him figured out and they are smart to not give him 10 mil a yr.

_Oro_
06-20-2009, 08:06 PM

I call BS. People get hurt when they play soft. Look at Reggie Bush.

OTOH Dawkins never took a down off and he's still truckin.

tsiguy96
06-20-2009, 08:16 PM
it seems like marshall is softening his stance a lot. his recent interview never mentioned being unhappy with the team or wanting to be traded, it was just about moving on and controlling what you can control.

im assuming it will morph its way into a contract for denver soon.

rastaman
06-20-2009, 09:22 PM
I call BS. People get hurt when they play soft. Look at Reggie Bush.

OTOH Dawkins never took a down off and he's still truckin.

People also get hurt and shorten their careers by allowing 2 or 3 guys to tackle them as well! Thats a lot of wear-n-tear on your body allowing 2 or 3 guys taking shots at you. Simply put.......you reduce your chances of injuries and wear and tear by going down on first contact, then you go back to the huddle for the next play. Thats not dogging it, thats playing smart.

In fact, now that Brandon knows the attitude of management and his contract, no sense rushing back from his hip rehab. Brandon needs to think about Brandon and make sure he's healthy. No health & injuries means NFL (NOT FOR LONG) in this league. Its time Brandon realizes this.

maher_tyler
06-20-2009, 09:45 PM
it seems like marshall is softening his stance a lot. his recent interview never mentioned being unhappy with the team or wanting to be traded, it was just about moving on and controlling what you can control.

im assuming it will morph its way into a contract for denver soon.

I hope so...i don't want to have to burn another jersey.

rastaman
06-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Let's say he does do that. How does that help him get money in restricted FA next yr? Will being a malcontent, locker room cancer, dogging it on the field get him a huge offer? I would say if Brandon does the things you say he will, then Broncos have him figured out and they are smart to not give him 10 mil a yr.

You make a good point, however, kep in mind its a fine line when it comes to dogging it. You can't say BMarsh is dogging it if he chooses to play smarter and not allow 2 or 3 guys to take shots at him to bring him down after receptions. Catching the ball and going down on first contact isn't dogging it! BMarsh is protecting his body, staying healthy, and extending his career.

Forcing BMarsh into camp and a no trade in 2009 doesn't guarantee BMarsh will want to continue his career as a Bronco. We have yet to see if Orton and Marshall click and get in sync. Learning a new system, a rebuilding period, having a new Qb, and posssible hip rehab, probably means BMrash won't put up Pro bowl numbers in 09 as well.

As fans, we have got to realize this. Brandon's leverage at this point is staying healthy btwn now and his next big day thats either coming from the Broncos or from another team.

The Brandon Denver Bronco saga just has too many twist and turns.

bap454
06-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Restricted free agent?? Please enlighten me. What does that mean?

Dr. Broncenstein
06-20-2009, 10:50 PM
leverage my ass.... all brandon has to do is fail to return bowlen's phone calls. See the Cutler fiasco. There was a player who had NO leverage... yet bowlen folded like a cheap suit when his BFF huwrt his widdle feewings.

rastaman
06-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Restricted free agent?? Please enlighten me. What does that mean?

A RESTRICTED FREE AGENT (RFA) is "any Veteran player with three or more accrued seasons, but less than five accrued seasons (or less than four accrued seasons in any capped year)... At the expiration of his last Player Contract during such period... [the player] shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any club, and any club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any such player, subject to... certain restrictions." The restrictions are the fun part.

The player's original team maintains the First Refusal Right if the team tenders a contract offer of one year at $1.01 M.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at the Player’s Original Draft Round (from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at the same amount(s) listed above OR at least 110% of the player’s prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and Second Round Draft Selection (from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at $$1.545 million OR at least 110% of the player’s prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and First Round Draft Selection (from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at $2.198 million OR at least 110% of the player’s prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and First Round Draft Selection and Third Round Draft Selection (both from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at $2.792 million OR at least 110% of the player's prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.

In the event a Prior Club withdraws its Qualifying Offer, the RFA immediately becomes an UFA.