PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Denver Need Advice

DeusExManning
06-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Hey I am going to be moving to Denver in August, looking for a house to rent. I just wanted to get the best advice of those on the Mane. Where is the best place to live? Where is the best schools. I have been paying 3400 a month rent here in California so I think I will be able to afford it. My friends say Douglas County is better. I really like what I see in Parker. But I have not lived in Denver for a long time. Suggestions?

Borks147
06-19-2009, 03:16 PM
try the city data forums, just google city data denver forum

scttgrd
06-19-2009, 03:16 PM
I would say to try and find something in the Cherry Creek school district. Parker is nice, just don't get too far north into Aurora.

DeusExManning
06-19-2009, 03:21 PM
I would say to try and find something in the Cherry Creek school district. Parker is nice, just don't get too far north into Aurora.

Thanks, maybe a better question is what should I avoid?

bronclvr
06-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Do you work? If so, do you already have a job here? Where is it?

BroncoMan4ever
06-19-2009, 03:28 PM
personally i would go to Lakewood or Cherry Creek.

Meck77
06-19-2009, 03:43 PM
I have a 4 bedroom/3bath/2car excellent condition for rent for $1,450. It's in centennial Jackson Farm subdivision. Vacant. Ready to go and just put it on the market this morning. Willing to paint the house orange if you move in. Oh wait the damn HOA nazis won't go for that.

Parker is nice. Bit of commute into town but it all depends on where you work I suppose. Lakewood has some nice pockets as mentioned earlier.Quick commute downtown. Rocky Mountains at your back door. I like the hills of Arvada as well.

Bottom line is you have all the options and it's dirt cheap compared to what you were paying. Holy cow.

DeusExManning
06-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Do you work? If so, do you already have a job here? Where is it?

I am self employed and work out of my home so no worries there.

DeusExManning
06-19-2009, 03:49 PM
I have a 4 bedroom/3bath/2car excellent condition for rent for $1,450. It's in centennial Jackson Farm subdivision. Vacant. Ready to go and just put it on the market this morning. Willing to paint the house orange if you move in. Oh wait the damn HOA nazis won't go for that.

Parker is nice. Bit of commute into town but it all depends on where you work I suppose. Lakewood has some nice pockets as mentioned earlier.Quick commute downtown. Rocky Mountains at your back door. I like the hills of Arvada as well.

Bottom line is you have all the options and it's dirt cheap compared to what you were paying. Holy cow.

Meck I am very interested

DeusExManning
06-19-2009, 03:52 PM

I just sent you a message Meck, thanks. No worries about work since I work at home.

Tombstone RJ
06-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Hey I am going to be moving to Denver in August, looking for a house to rent. I just wanted to get the best advice of those on the Mane. Where is the best place to live? Where is the best schools. I have been paying 3400 a month rent here in California so I think I will be able to afford it. My friends say Douglas County is better. I really like what I see in Parker. But I have not lived in Denver for a long time. Suggestions?

5 Points, it just keeps getting better...

mhgaffney
06-19-2009, 08:39 PM
If I were you I would live in south Denver. Avoid the northern suburbs because they are down wind of Rocky Flats --

The old nuclear trigger factory spewed a plume of plutonium for many years -- and dusted the northern suburbs with the most toxic substance known to man.

You heard it here on the OM!

Tombstone RJ
06-19-2009, 08:42 PM
If I were you I would live in south Denver. Avoid the northern suburbs because they are down wind of Rocky Flats --

The old nuclear trigger factory spewed a plume of plutonium for many years -- and dusted the northern suburbs with the most toxic substance known to man.

You heard it here on the OM!

Hilarious! ^5

Stay Away!

IHaveALight
06-19-2009, 09:12 PM
If you have that kind of money to throw around, why not buy something? You could buy a really nice house and pay about half of that.
But it probably would be a good idea to rent for a little while get to know the different areas and decided what's best for you. My favorite areas are SE Denver, Capitol Hill and Englewood. If you prefer the city life, I donít recommend Parker.

Spider
06-19-2009, 09:18 PM
If you have that kind of money to throw around, why not buy something? You could buy a really nice house and pay about half of that.
But it probably would be a good idea to rent for a little while get to know the different areas and decided what's best for you. My favorite areas are SE Denver, Capitol Hill and Englewood. If you prefer the city life, I donít recommend Parker.

Think long and hard about buying , I own my house outright , no payments , so far I have replaced a sewer line , furnace , water heater , several plumbing repairs , now I need to do the roof ...............renting all of that becomes someone elses headache ........... I dont know if it is cheaper to own

GreatBronco16
06-19-2009, 09:19 PM

Holy crap, 3400 a month for rent? What in the hell kind of work from home work do you do?

GreatBronco16
06-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Think long and hard about buying , I own my house outright , no payments , so far I have replaced a sewer line , furnace , water heater , several plumbing repairs , now I need to do the roof ...............renting all of that becomes someone elses headache ........... I dont know if it is cheaper to own

Spider, wait for a bad storm to come through and let the insurance pay for it. My roof was on year 30 when we had a nasty hail storm a few months back. Insurance paid for all of it.

Spider
06-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Spider, wait for a bad storm to come through and let the insurance pay for it. My roof was on year 30 when we had a nasty hail storm a few months back. Insurance paid for all of it.
;D good advice

montrose
06-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Obviously I've only lived in Denver for a year now but I really like where I live in SE Denver (with the exception of some kids breaking into my car, but that's life I suppose). I don't have kids so I can't really speak much to the schools but I always hear about Cherry Creek Schools as being strong. Since you work from home as I have, I suppose it's not as imperative to live close to downtown. If that's the case, I'd suggest looking into places near the DTC, Park Meadows Mall and farther south. Send a PM to Kaylore because his area is really nice and seems to fit the things you're looking for.

OABB
06-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Holy crap, 3400 a month for rent? What in the hell kind of work from home work do you do?

****...that's cheap out here....

GreatBronco16
06-19-2009, 10:45 PM

Out here, that's what Doctors and Lawyers pay for their 6-8 bedroom 5 bath homes.

I have a 5 bedroom, 3 and 1/2 bath house built back in the 60s and my mortgage is 525 a month. And this is in a nice community.

Orange_Beard
06-19-2009, 10:52 PM

That was my though. I moved from Denver out here, paying over twice as much to live out here.

I am jealous, would love to move back to Denver. I would say move into the city. Wash Park, Cheeseman, Park Hill. I loved being able to walk to downtown and walk to Bronco games.

There are plenty of suburbs that look like OC. take your pick.

Denver is a easy and safe city.

KipCorrington25
06-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Unless you like crack avoid Aurora.

SouthStndJunkie
06-20-2009, 12:01 AM
For $3400 a month you could literally live like a king in Ohio.

DeusExManning
06-20-2009, 12:07 AM

I am not going to buy anything for 3 to 5 years, I think prices are still going down, and I would want to live in Denver awhile to kind of figure out where to buy.

DeusExManning
06-20-2009, 12:08 AM
That was my though. I moved from Denver out here, paying over twice as much to live out here.

I am jealous, would love to move back to Denver. I would say move into the city. Wash Park, Cheeseman, Park Hill. I loved being able to walk to downtown and walk to Bronco games.

There are plenty of suburbs that look like OC. take your pick.

Denver is a easy and safe city.

I am tempted to live in walking distance especially having season tickets.

DeusExManning
06-20-2009, 12:09 AM

It is cheap.

DeusExManning
06-20-2009, 12:36 AM

I run an online sales busines, it is complicated and quite boring.

ak1971
06-20-2009, 12:59 AM
I run an online sales busines, it is complicated and quite boring.

Coming from OC ( I am assuming Irvine or Newport?) Probably Lone Tree or certain parts of Parker will be your best bet.

Rivers Delivers
06-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Brandon Marshall's house is really nice.

And very available.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7384/rimshotsw5.gif