PDA

View Full Version : Question for gym rats: What gloves do you use?

Kaylore
06-18-2009, 08:52 PM
I had some pretty nice gloves that have lasted me almost seven years but they've finally become so disgusting even I can't use them anymore. Anyone know a good brand to buy? It must have the following criteria: Long lasting, comfortable, breathable and will not bleed on my hands.

I don't want a wrist strap. If you have a good brand to recommend, please do so and please explain why you like it beyond "its the one I wear so you should too."

Thanks!:thumbs:

theAPAOps5
06-18-2009, 08:54 PM
I never used them, never liked them. Once I built up the callouses it never was an issue. But if you have been using them for 7 years I can't imagine going bare. Have you thought about asking the regulars at your gym? That is if you go to a public gym.

Los Broncos
06-18-2009, 08:55 PM
I starting using these same gloves, really nice pair.

http://www.bigfitness.com/powerseries1.html

watermock
06-18-2009, 09:00 PM
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107064/MyImages/dove-boys.jpg

I'm not qualified. Ask these men.

My dad used to have scabs where his callouses ripped off.

Spider
06-18-2009, 09:08 PM
I first saw this I was thinking boxing gloves ........ build up Callouses

theAPAOps5
06-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Wow Mock that just totally ruined this thread!

Karenin
06-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Real gym rats don't use gloves or straps or any of that crap.

Spider
06-18-2009, 09:17 PM
How many here work out for Power ?

Spider
06-18-2009, 09:18 PM
by power I mean hitting a guy in the jaw and putting a quarter inch separation in the break

Meck77
06-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Kaylore dude you had a hot wife! Did you switch teams or something?

Ray Finkle
06-18-2009, 09:22 PM
I use Harbinger's....they last, their good, and rather cheap (under 30 bucks).

Flex Gunmetal
06-18-2009, 09:27 PM

Yep. Unless you are a monster and need straps.

Broncoman13
06-18-2009, 10:00 PM
I have to use straps. My wrists will not support pushups let alone weights. Makes working out very difficult... so gloves with built in straps work great for me.

theAPAOps5
06-18-2009, 10:03 PM
I have to use straps. My wrists will not support pushups let alone weights. Makes working out very difficult... so gloves with built in straps work great for me.

I always took you for a limp wrister!

tsiguy96
06-18-2009, 10:11 PM
dont use gloves, in addition to not allowing your hands to build necessary callouses (use a body pad thing to grind them down in the shower so they dont break and your hands stay good), they increase the size of the bar which you are trying to grip, which can make it even harder to hold and more dangerous for stuff like benching.

Kaylore
06-18-2009, 10:14 PM
I starting using these same gloves, really nice pair.

http://www.bigfitness.com/powerseries1.html

That's funny because I was going to buy some harbingers and a guy at the gym said not to because they bled onto his hands. I don't really sweat on my hands, but have you experienced this.

And can we try and make this somewhat productive? Comments like "real gym rats don't use gloves" and pictures of Germans in diapers aren't helpful. I don't like callouses on my hands and that's why I use gloves and I've been working out for several years. If using gloves makes me "fake" then fine, but I want some gloves and they don't make my brand anymore.

Kaylore
06-18-2009, 10:15 PM
dont use gloves
I'm going to use gloves. I have for years. I use free weights mostly and I've never had a problem with slippage.

Ambiguous
06-18-2009, 10:21 PM
That's funny because I was going to buy some harbingers and a guy at the gym said not to because they bled onto his hands. I don't really sweat on my hands, but have you experienced this.

And can we try and make this somewhat productive? Comments like "real gym rats don't use gloves" and pictures of Germans in diapers aren't helpful. I don't like callouses on my hands and that's why I use gloves and I've been working out for several years. If using gloves makes me "fake" then fine, but I want some gloves and they don't make my brand anymore.

I don't wear any, but Harbingers are what I see about 90% of other people wearing, so they must be doing something right.

Actually Harbinger is the only brand name I've seen enough to commit to memory, so I say give them a try.

summerdenver
06-18-2009, 10:21 PM
I use Harbingers (same as those in Clady's post). I bought them mainly for the wrist strap and also because they were cheap.

I like them and they are also durable - lasted 5 years for me.

TheReverend
06-18-2009, 10:23 PM

False...

Straps are almost a necessity for heavy weight deadlifts. Problem for me, at least.

theAPAOps5
06-18-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm going to use gloves. I have for years. I use free weights mostly and I've never had a problem with slippage.

No you are a sissy and we will make you aware of it and you will like it! :~ohyah!:

tsiguy96
06-18-2009, 10:24 PM

id be interested to see your routine :~ohyah!:

tsiguy96
06-18-2009, 10:25 PM
False...

Straps are almost a necessity for heavy weight deadlifts. Problem for me, at least.

well, kinda false. if you use a mixed grip (one overhand, one underhand) most people have no issue gripping the amount of weight their body will get off the ground.

TheReverend
06-18-2009, 10:26 PM
If your goal is just avoiding callouses and something comfortable, why not try on a couple cheap ones at Dick's or something until you find what you like, and then wash them a couple times to make sure they won't bleed?

Popps
06-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Kaylore,

I've worn out several pairs of Harbingers in the past couple of years, alone. They're solid. I usually leave them unstrapped so my wrists have to work harder, unless I'm nursing any sort of wrist injury, which I have a bit lately from hoops.

But, they're pretty damned durable for the price. I'm sure you could spend more, but I wouldn't bother.

Los Broncos

When I first starting working out some months back, which is about 10 years to late by the way.

Jacked my hands up, I mean I've done hardcore manual labor before, but gloves for me are a must.

And you get what you pay for, want something nicer just spend a little more.

Ambiguous

Sure they do. It's always amusing when you see out of shape people who just bought everything they could before going to gym the first time, but plenty of people use gloves. It prevents callouses and (I guess) helps with free weights but it's just a preference.

The guy wants gloves, relax. You seem like the appointed doucheknozzle present at every gym acting like he owns the place.

Kaylore
I use Harbingers (same as those in Clady's post). I bought them mainly for the wrist strap and also because they were cheap.

I like them and they are also durable - lasted 5 years for me.

Is the wrist support good? Squats, etc.

TheReverend
06-18-2009, 10:28 PM
well, kinda false. if you use a mixed grip (one overhand, one underhand) most people have no issue gripping the amount of weight their body will get off the ground.

Yes, I mix grip. No, I'm not doing absurd weight with them. 315 without straps will slide in my hands.

Los Broncos
06-18-2009, 10:29 PM

Good support, good freedom in the wrist.

TheReverend
06-18-2009, 10:35 PM

Wrist support for squats?

mr007
06-18-2009, 10:59 PM

Mixed grip is actually bad for your body while lifting weights. I use straps and they are a necessity for squats (I use dumbbells), lunges, and my back day.

mr007
06-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Also Kaylore, I would move away from gloves and go to straps even though you don't want to. You honestly don't need gloves for bench, bis, shoulders, and the straps will not only help your grip, but also prevent major callouses.

I go through a pair of straps about every month or 2... 3 bucks well spent.

summerdenver
06-18-2009, 11:09 PM

I have carple tunnel syndrome and i used to feel the pain in my wrists when i did bicep curls (with a bar). The trainer at the colorado Athletic club advised me to use gloves. I usually tighten the strap tight and it stabilizes my wrist.

I usedthe same ones in the Cladys post above so you can see there is no additional wrist support but tightening the strap seems to work fine for me.

Edit - Meant to say no additional wrist support.

tsiguy96
06-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Mixed grip is actually bad for your body while lifting weights. I use straps and they are a necessity for squats (I use dumbbells), lunges, and my back day.

the ONLY time mixed grip is bad is if you only use it one way (i.e right hand overhand all the time) and not switching, you can create light muscle imbalances. you could make the argument that mixed grip places uses the opposite sides of the body "differently" throughout the lift, but its closer to negligible than something to worry about, especially if you are only doing it on max effort sets.

that said, i use straps for non max days (days im doing 1RM, i do not use straps), simply because im trying to avoid said imbalances. moral of the story: develop your overhand (or hook) grip strength and dont worry about it :)

Broncoman13
06-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Kaylore,

I've worn out several pairs of Harbingers in the past couple of years, alone. They're solid. I usually leave them unstrapped so my wrists have to work harder, unless I'm nursing any sort of wrist injury, which I have a bit lately from hoops.

But, they're pretty damned durable for the price. I'm sure you could spend more, but I wouldn't bother.

Man you are confused. Worn out several pairs... followed by they're solid. I've had my gloves for two years now and they still have the new leather smell. Think I should take them out of the package?

Broncoman13
06-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Yes, I mix grip. No, I'm not doing absurd weight with them. 315 without straps will slide in my hands.

Have you tried a "thumb-in" grip?

mr007
06-18-2009, 11:45 PM
the ONLY time mixed grip is bad is if you only use it one way (i.e right hand overhand all the time) and not switching, you can create light muscle imbalances. you could make the argument that mixed grip places uses the opposite sides of the body "differently" throughout the lift, but its closer to negligible than something to worry about, especially if you are only doing it on max effort sets.

that said, i use straps for non max days (days im doing 1RM, i do not use straps), simply because im trying to avoid said imbalances. moral of the story: develop your overhand (or hook) grip strength and dont worry about it :)

Agree to disagree =). Your body is not symmetrical and in my opinion, mixed grip can actually make your body become more asymmetrical over the years regardless of switching your grips up. Just my thoughts though, everyone has their own style.

Broncoman13
06-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Wrist support for squats?

Khan is like 6'15... He probably needs all kind of support to even attempt a squat. ;D

mr007
06-18-2009, 11:47 PM
I have carple tunnel syndrome and i used to feel the pain in my wrists when i did bicep curls (with a bar). The trainer at the colorado Athletic club advised me to use gloves. I usually tighten the strap tight and it stabilizes my wrist.

I usedthe same ones in the Cladys post above so you can see there is no additional wrist support but tightening the strap seems to work fine for me.

Edit - Meant to say no additional wrist support.

Do you curl your hands inward (towards your wrists) while you're doing curls? Your hand should always be at least slightly curled in while working biceps to prevent wrist pain and ligament damage.

Popps
06-18-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm not a big straps guy. I've used them, but figure if you can't hold it... you probably aren't ready to lift it. Sort of like guys I see doing the swinging curls at the gym with 60 LB weights. Cut out the friggin' dance-moves, stand up straight and use your ARMS to curl 40 lbs dumb-bells, not inertia. Once you can do that, worry about moving up in weight.

I did use straps for a bit for shurgs when the weights got too heavy. I became worried about them just slipping and landing on my foot, at a certain point.

Broncos4tw
06-19-2009, 12:00 AM
I use a simple pair with a strap.. I love the strap. My wrists were starting to hurt the more weight I used, and they completely removed that pain. They help support your joints and tendons... I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them.

My lower back can go out easily now. Why? Because when I was in the Army, I had massive legs, and used to lift some 750 pounds with them. With no lower back support. I pay for it now. And I had no idea at the time, there was no indication. So use support if you have the chance. Stylish ain't worth your health. : )

And Popps.. you will reach a point where you will need them. Even lower weight, it helps. My wrists were hurting curling 40 pounds, benching under 200. Now curling 65, benching 240+, my wrists never hurt, ever. Saying no straps is a good idea is bad advice, sorry.

tsiguy96
06-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Agree to disagree =). Your body is not symmetrical and in my opinion, mixed grip can actually make your body become more asymmetrical over the years regardless of switching your grips up. Just my thoughts though, everyone has their own style.

theres really no evidence to support that...especially if you switch the mixed grip constantly like you should be.

and like i said, using straps isnt necessarily bad but it will stop you from gaining grip strength.

or you can be a real man and try a hook grip, that **** hurts

Popps
06-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Man you are confused. Worn out several pairs... followed by they're solid. I've had my gloves for two years now and they still have the new leather smell. Think I should take them out of the package?

Well, I'm there 5 days a week, on average... and mostly free weights. So, I tear them up. But, for $18 or whatever they cost, I'd say they're pretty solid to stand up to that.

Actually, I've probably gone through more than that, but I'm not counting the ones I've lost. :)

Kaylore
06-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Thank you all for answering my questions. It took two pages but we finally got around to it. I'll look into harbinger.

And for TheRev, I do front squats. Sorry for the confusion.

Popps
06-19-2009, 12:09 AM
I
And Popps.. you will reach a point where you will need them. Even lower weight, it helps. My wrists were hurting curling 40 pounds, benching under 200. Now curling 65, benching 240+, my wrists never hurt, ever. Saying no straps is a good idea is bad advice, sorry.

To each his own. I'm 40 and haven't had any trouble despite normal lifting. (That wasn't caused by other sports injuries.)

I'm not saying to NEVER use them, I'm just saying that to me, people become dependent on them... and/or they're using them to lift more weight than they should be in lieu of using proper weight/technique.

If you're injured, or nursing injuries... of course. I use a knee brace, so I'm down with the concept. But, Kaylore hadn't spoke of any injuries, and he's a young guy.

Kaylore
06-19-2009, 12:14 AM
I have a mild case of runners knee and use a very simple knee brace and I think I tore my calcaneofibular ligament playing football some years ago, because my lower ankle still hurts and swells. But other than that I'm fine.

Popps
06-19-2009, 12:17 AM
I have a mild case of runners knee and use a very simple knee brace and I think I tore my calcaneofibular ligament playing football some years ago, because my lower ankle still hurts and swells. But other than that I'm fine.

Strong core/legs are keys to longevity, but MAN do you have to be careful training legs. Talk about way to **** yourself up good, and permanently.

Train legs with great caution/care... imo.

TheReverend
06-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Thank you all for answering my questions. It took two pages but we finally got around to it. I'll look into harbinger.

And for TheRev, I do front squats. Sorry for the confusion.

Back problems? Trying to nail your quads? Or somehow find it more comfortable?

Kaylore
06-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Back problems? Trying to nail your quads? Or somehow find it more comfortable?

It's much lamer than all of those. I have this fear of putting weight behind my neck and back. I've heard stories of people messing up their spine. I realize they probably are urban legends but I don't have problems doing them the way I do.

Doggcow
06-19-2009, 12:43 AM
I would use these gloves if I were you

http://orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=2681&dateline=1244009150

TheReverend
06-19-2009, 12:46 AM
It's much lamer than all of those. I have this fear of putting weight behind my neck and back. I've heard stories of people messing up their spine. I realize they probably are urban legends but I don't have problems doing them the way I do.

No lame points will be awarded for being in there and performing the exercise.

You're putting less load on your spine and doing front squats pretty much cancels out the possibility of having bad form. That's two benefits for your back.

Kaylore
06-19-2009, 12:47 AM
I would use these gloves if I were you

http://orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=2681&dateline=1244009150

:~ohyah!:

theAPAOps5
06-19-2009, 03:47 AM
Khan is like 6'15... He probably needs all kind of support to even attempt a squat. ;D

So true! Takes him an hour to perform one rep. Thats a long way to travel from rest to squeat to rest again.

zdoor
06-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Don't use gloves, never liked them. Straps are a neccessity for deads and shrugs if your going to do heavy weight though...

rugbythug
06-19-2009, 07:24 AM
I use these. They are the Best by far

http://www.prowriststraps.com/lifting_straps_weight_wrist_exercise_powerlifting_ pre_built

Everything else is just pretend. They won't ever wear out.

55CrushEm
06-19-2009, 07:39 AM

Seconded.......gloves are for ladies.

521 1N5
06-19-2009, 07:52 AM
My dad used to have scabs where his callouses ripped off.

Wow..... Your DADDY did???? That is so impressive.

loborugger
06-19-2009, 07:58 AM
False...

Ya, anyone who comments that "real" folks dont use gloves is either 1. ignorant, or 2. being a smart a$$.

I tried wrist straps back 10 years or so ago. They never really helped me. They assisted a little; however, when the weights rolling outta your hand, its rolling outta your hand and the strap just unravels with it.

The solution I have found is simple. Reverse your grip. One palm facing you, one palm facing away from you. Its that simple. I do pull ups that way, too.

Khan - regarding squats... front squats are good. Back squats are good. I would encourage you to try the back squats. Go to the gym on a Sat when no one is around, put on a ridiculious light weight, and go for it. Get comfortable, and then go heavier.

A couple of things. Push your sternum to the sky, and keep your head level. This will keep your spine in the correct position throughout the lift (this is true for the front squat, too and good for running, walking, etc).

As for the gloves... I get whatever is on sale at the sporting goods store that has a leather palm. I guess if you are world class lifter, you might have a specific need, but otherwise I think 20 bucks should cover you just fine.

rugbythug
06-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Ya, anyone who comments that "real" folks dont use gloves is either 1. ignorant, or 2. being a smart a$$.

I tried wrist straps back 10 years or so ago. They never really helped me. They assisted a little; however, when the weights rolling outta your hand, its rolling outta your hand and the strap just unravels with it.

The solution I have found is simple. Reverse your grip. One palm facing you, one palm facing away from you. Its that simple. I do pull ups that way, too.

Khan - regarding squats... front squats are good. Back squats are good. I would encourage you to try the back squats. Go to the gym on a Sat when no one is around, put on a ridiculious light weight, and go for it. Get comfortable, and then go heavier.

A couple of things. Push your sternum to the sky, and keep your head level. This will keep your spine in the correct position throughout the lift (this is true for the front squat, too and good for running, walking, etc).

As for the gloves... I get whatever is on sale at the sporting goods store that has a leather palm. I guess if you are world class lifter, you might have a specific need, but otherwise I think 20 bucks should cover you just fine.

Your doing it wrong

loborugger
06-19-2009, 08:02 AM
Your doing it wrong

Nonetheless... the reverse grip is even better. Last time I watched olympic guys throwing around the really heavy stuff, they were using the reverse grip and not straps.

But to each his own.

Smiling Assassin27
06-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Harbinger wrist wrap gloves work for me. Like you, I've had my pair 5 years or so. Good value and easy on the hands..

Sincerely,

A Hand Model

Spider
06-19-2009, 09:40 AM
I got to say I am impressed , so far not 1 person has told Kaylor , make sure what ever gloves you get match your man purse .......

tsiguy96
06-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Nonetheless... the reverse grip is even better. Last time I watched olympic guys throwing around the really heavy stuff, they were using the reverse grip and not straps.

But to each his own.

no, olympic guys use a hook grip. tuck your thumb under your fingers with a double overhand grip.

SureShot
06-19-2009, 10:09 AM
I have used straps before but never gloves, but I have never had a problem with callouses so I never needed them.

kamakazi_kal
06-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Gloves suck. You shouldn't even be using straps unless you got the form down ..... that's how you hurt yourself.

Arnold Shwartsenwhaters weight bible is awesome if your looking to some new exercises to try.

the arnold shoulder presses are money.

loborugger
06-19-2009, 11:00 AM
no, olympic guys use a hook grip. tuck your thumb under your fingers with a double overhand grip.

Yes, I know the hook grip. Look at this guys hands. One palm in, one palm out...

Oh, and this bad ass doesnt even wear gloves.

http://www.criticalbench.com/images/finnish-deadlifting.jpg

rugbythug
06-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Yes, I know the hook grip. Look at this guys hands. One palm in, one palm out...

Not to be a Dick but I don't think you can (use Straps) in Olympic Comps.

Average Joe- Hands gone before his Back. I pull up to 315 with no straps and then strap it up. For Lat Pull Downs you have to have straps.

OCBronco
06-19-2009, 12:04 PM
I used to think that gloves were a waste of time. Then I started working out with kettlebells about six months ago. I was doing snatches with 45 lbs this week and tore a large callus off on my right hand. So now I'm re-thinking the gloves a bit.

The problem with most workout gloves, though, is the large pad they put on the palm. Anyone know of a good, inexpensive pair that has a simple leather palm (no pad)? A friend of mine recommended belay gloves, but I'm not sure that I want to shell out a lot of money for them (at least, not yet).

Beantown Bronco
06-19-2009, 12:08 PM
The problem with most workout gloves, though, is the large pad they put on the palm. Anyone know of a good, inexpensive pair that has a simple leather palm (no pad)? A friend of mine recommended belay gloves, but I'm not sure that I want to shell out a lot of money for them (at least, not yet).

Sounds like you'd prefer a simple baseball batting glove. I'd give that a shot.

summerdenver
06-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Do you curl your hands inward (towards your wrists) while you're doing curls? Your hand should always be at least slightly curled in while working biceps to prevent wrist pain and ligament damage.

I actually never paid attention to it but now that I think about it I was probably doing the other way. I have wrist pain generally due to carpel tunnel and I felt pain doing other excercises too and tightenning the glove strap works fine for me.

elsid13
06-19-2009, 01:53 PM
I used to think that gloves were a waste of time. Then I started working out with kettlebells about six months ago. I was doing snatches with 45 lbs this week and tore a large callus off on my right hand. So now I'm re-thinking the gloves a bit.

Nike makes dri-fit weight lifting glove that has no padding for about 15 bucks. I use then when the I am afraid my callouses might tear or when sweat get to bad. No straps or anything special.

tsiguy96
06-19-2009, 01:54 PM

there is nothing olympic about a deadlift. like i said earlier in this thread, tahts a mixed grip. you cannot do that for olympic lifts.

tsiguy96
06-19-2009, 01:55 PM

thats because you do not file down your callouses! i havent had one rip open in over a year, but i got this pummus stone or whatever the **** its called from some bath store and just grind down the really hard dry part of the callous.

Bob's your Information Minister
06-19-2009, 01:56 PM
I don't. My grip is better without. I've got some calluses on my hands but you get used to it.

TheReverend
06-19-2009, 02:07 PM
there is nothing olympic about a deadlift. like i said earlier in this thread, tahts a mixed grip. you cannot do that for olympic lifts.

Are you high?

Deadlifts and wrestling are synonymous with the term "Olympic" since it began nearly 3000 years ago...

OCBronco
06-19-2009, 02:09 PM
thats because you do not file down your callouses! i havent had one rip open in over a year, but i got this pummus stone or whatever the **** its called from some bath store and just grind down the really hard dry part of the callous.

You're right about that. Although, I should mention, I had been filing my calluses down. I just hadn't been filing them down *enough*.

The other issue is that up until this week I had been doing high rep kettlebell snatches with 35lbs with no trouble. That, and I hadn't sanded down the 45 pounder. Anyway, you live and you learn.

Beantown Bronco
06-19-2009, 02:20 PM
but i got this pummus stone or whatever the **** its called from some bath store

You know how I know you're gay?

tsiguy96
06-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Are you high?

Deadlifts and wrestling are synonymous with the term "Olympic" since it began nearly 3000 years ago...

what would i know, ive only been training olympic lifting for the last year and about to graduate with a degree in exercise science. "nearly 3000 years ago" they picked stones up overhead. not a bar loaded with weight to hip height. deadlift is a powerlifting movement, not olympic. olympic lifts are two, and only two, lifts: clean and jerk, and snatch. not deadlift, or squat, or bench press, or bicep curl.

you USE deadlifts and squats and presses as an accessory to the actual olympic lift, but deadlifting is NOT an olympic lift.

TheReverend
06-19-2009, 02:50 PM
what would i know, ive only been training olympic lifting for the last year and about to graduate with a degree in exercise science. "nearly 3000 years ago" they picked stones up overhead. not a bar loaded with weight to hip height. deadlift is a powerlifting movement, not olympic. olympic lifts are two, and only two, lifts: clean and jerk, and snatch. not deadlift, or squat, or bench press, or bicep curl.

you USE deadlifts and squats and presses as an accessory to the actual olympic lift, but deadlifting is NOT an olympic lift.

If you're talking about flat-out technical, utility definition, sure. Any other interpretation and no.

Also: Nice to see you lying about your bolded statement.

Contradicts what you said here 4 months ago:

i think im gonna continue with powerlifting with a bit of olympic lifting to keep form. getting big comes with getting strong - not so much the other way around.

my 1rm is about 295, bw 215. i suck at bench, went about 3 months without much of it because of only olympic lifting. trying to get up to 335 before the end of the year.

mr007
06-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Straps are the best, your hands don't callous, you can grip anything and get support for heavy weights, and you don't have any unnecessary padding.

BearMan18
06-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Wow. This many people "work out"? Why?

My advice: Avoid working out. As long as you can manage wrapping your hand around your penis and tugging for 45 vigorous seconds, you're in perfect shape.

tsiguy96
06-19-2009, 03:16 PM
If you're talking about flat-out technical, utility definition, sure. Any other interpretation and no.

Also: Nice to see you lying about your bolded statement.

Contradicts what you said here 4 months ago:

thats the best youre gonna do? just say "well if you interpret it this way im right"

a deadlift is NOT an olympic lift by any stretch of the word. olympic lifting is called weightliting in the rest of the world, and it has an emphasis on speed of movement, not single maximum effort. deadlifts are anything but fast, and even the fastest of deadlifts creates at most 1/3 the power (watts) of a correctly performed olympic lift. = accessory movement TO performing actual olympic lifts.

mr007
06-19-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm not saying to NEVER use them, I'm just saying that to me, people become dependent on them... and/or they're using them to lift more weight than they should be in lieu of using proper weight/technique.

Yeah, it's called people who don't know what they're doing....

Hogan11
06-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Harbingers, no wrist straps

Seamus
06-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Callouses are cool, no gloves. I have been working out / lifting for years and never liked gloves, probably since they would collect a bunch of sweat. I find them more useful for bicycle riding or doing aircraft sheet metal work where there could be a "jarring" or sharp / quick shock to the hands. If you are lifting properly, you won't have this.

I can see if you go to a gym that spends money on equipment and they actually have new weight bars or free weights where the knurled non friction parts are still sharp, and your hands are sensitive to this, a thinner baseball type swing glove would be better that is built up.
My gym has old stuff and this isn't a problem!

Willynowei
06-19-2009, 08:25 PM

I'm not sure the reason for using gloves with free weights, free weights don't even build callouses.. much neways..

wandlc
06-19-2009, 11:25 PM
thats the best youre gonna do? just say "well if you interpret it this way im right"

a deadlift is NOT an olympic lift by any stretch of the word. olympic lifting is called weightliting in the rest of the world, and it has an emphasis on speed of movement, not single maximum effort. deadlifts are anything but fast, and even the fastest of deadlifts creates at most 1/3 the power (watts) of a correctly performed olympic lift. = accessory movement TO performing actual olympic lifts.

You are mostly correct, the clean and press used to be used in Olympic competition, but was dropped due to the difficulty in enforcing the rules, the judging was too subjective. As to gloves don't use them and as to grip when dead lifting I hook grip and only use straps if I am doing multiple sets for reps at anything over 455, I even use a hook grip in competition. That's 606 lbs at 220 lbs bodyweight.

loborugger
06-20-2009, 09:07 AM
You are mostly correct, the clean and press used to be used in Olympic competition, but was dropped due to the difficulty in enforcing the rules, the judging was too subjective. As to gloves don't use them and as to grip when dead lifting I hook grip and only use straps if I am doing multiple sets for reps at anything over 455, I even use a hook grip in competition. That's 606 lbs at 220 lbs bodyweight.

Impressive.

Kaylore
06-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Lobo, I went to that site you sent me and it was very impressive. It looked more like real training than just "working out." Is it as hardcore as it appears?

Ambiguous
06-20-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm not sure the reason for using gloves with free weights, free weights don't even build callouses.. much neways..

My hands beg to differ...

And for the love of god, it's time to update your avatar. ;)

Mr. Trout
06-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Personally, I do not use gloves...I wrap barbed wire around my hands and hoss that s#$@ up.

tsiguy96
06-20-2009, 07:54 PM

no, the clean and jerk is still an olympic competition. you are talking about an entirely different lift, just a press (no knee movement like a jerk or push), that was dropped sometime in like the 40s or 50s, it almost looked like a standing bench press by the time they got rid of it. the clean+jerk and snatch are the two olympic movements that are still done.

edit:
http://www.chidlovski.net/liftup/web_external_modules.asp?s_module=mod_press_techni ques
1972 olympics it was cancelled (and there was a clean involved before the press)

wandlc
06-21-2009, 04:35 PM
no, the clean and jerk is still an olympic competition. you are talking about an entirely different lift, just a press (no knee movement like a jerk or push), that was dropped sometime in like the 40s or 50s, it almost looked like a standing bench press by the time they got rid of it. the clean+jerk and snatch are the two olympic movements that are still done.

edit:
http://www.chidlovski.net/liftup/web_external_modules.asp?s_module=mod_press_techni ques
1972 olympics it was cancelled (and there was a clean involved before the press)

We are saying the same thing, I was not talking about the clean and jerk just the clean and press as I stated. I should have worded it thusly "used to also be used" . And if you want to go back far enough the one -handed snatch used to also be a part of weight lifting competitions.

TheReverend
06-24-2009, 01:42 AM

Forgive the delay. I got traded temporarily.

If you want to claim Romanian deadlifts aren't absolutely ESSENTIAL in any "olympic lifting" then, yes, I'd like to call your entire degree bull**** right now.