PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Say again no Tradey-or FU-BM

rugbythug
06-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Broncos Don’t Plan To Trade Marshall
Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2009, 12:42 p.m.

We’ve continued to hear, from well-placed sources (as opposed to our usual “dude who replaces the toilet paper”), that the Denver Broncos will not be trading receiver Brandon Marshall.

It could be puffing. We understand that. But the point is that there apparently won’t be a “get what we can and move on” approach in this specific case.

If someone offered a first-round pick and a second-round pick, it would be very difficult for Denver to decline. Still, who in the hell would offer that much for a guy who in turn will want at least $9 million per year, and who remains one renegade McDonalds’ bag away from another suspension, or worse?

So the Broncos get it. They realize no one is sufficiently desperate to take that kind of a risk.

(Except maybe the Jets.)

Meanwhile, we’re detecting a bit of a sense that the organization would prefer that owner Pat Bowlen not get personally involved in these situations. Bowlen’s role in the Jay Cutler situation served only to grease the skids for a divorce, given that Bowlen was offended (as he should have been) by Cutler’s alleged refusal to return calls or texts from the guy who signs the checks.

And coupled with Bowlen’s admission that he is suffering from short-term memory loss, any one-on-one meeting with an unhappy player can result in the player claiming that Bowlen said things that he flat-out didn’t say.

So that’s the problems the Broncos now have. Marshall thinks Bowlen said a trade will be pursued. It doesn’t matter whether the team disagrees; the mere fact that Marshall believes it will make it even harder for the coaching staff and the front office to manage the situation.

Still, there’s a fundamental difference between having an unhappy receiver and an unhappy franchise quarterback. With Cutler, the Broncos had no choice but to move on. With Marshall, they can say things like “see you in camp.”

And that’s basically what they’re doing.

In other words, long after T.O. is gone, there will be pass-catchers who give us reasons to get our popcorn ready.

Smiling Assassin27
06-18-2009, 02:16 PM
I do agree that Bowlen should probably stay out of these situations, in general. With Cutler, it was pretty much unavoidable.

broncofan2438
06-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Stay away Bowlen

DomCasual
06-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Good! That's exactly the approach they should take.

BroncoLifer
06-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Bowlen was obviously joking about memory loss yet people run with it like he was serious.

Florida_Bronco
06-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Bowlen was obviously joking about memory loss yet people run with it like he was serious.

Agreed. Seriously.

Popps
06-18-2009, 02:25 PM
You all remember the big "Bowlen Should Have Been More Inovolved-gate" around here when Jay was making poo-poo in his shorts about all of this?

Even some of the media said he "should have done more."

Now, it seems people are realizing that owners rarely get too deep in these things, nor do they need to. (As many of us told you at the time.)

Bowlen isn't Jerry Jones. Marshall went right to him because they have a relationship. But, Bowlen hasn't said much, publicly. The only thing he said publicly about Cutler was that he wasn't returning calls... and that was a last-ditch effort.

Again, looking for conspiracies where they don't exist only drives you crazy. None of this stuff is that difficult.

-Jay is a bitch and forced his way out of town.

-Brandon wants more money because he knows he's in danger of losing millions if he messes up again.

Very, very simple. We don't need to complicate it.

Hotrod
http://broncosbanter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/throwback.jpg

Popcorn Sutton

Agreed. I'd also prefer if Bowlen stay out of it. He seemed to get personal with the Cutler situation and that's no way to run an NFL team.

Smiling Assassin27
06-18-2009, 02:26 PM

For me, it's not about that at all. He's got people in place to navigate these situations, so he probably should let them do their job. Being a Yankee fan, I've seen an owner completely muck up the works.

BroncoBuff
06-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Thank heavens ... great news.

They'll work out some kind of temporary deal until the hip and
trial are resolved, then he'll get paid and we'll have our world-
class WR for many years to come :thumbs:

DBroncos4life
06-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Its not like we don't all know how to get traded from the Broncos.

Ring, ring
Damn that Pat be tripping calling me all the time....
Ignore

SoDak Bronco
06-18-2009, 02:31 PM
give the dude the money

tsiguy96
06-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Agreed. I'd also prefer if Bowlen stay out of it. He seemed to get personal with the Cutler situation and that's no way to run an NFL team.

that is the exact reason cutler is not a bronco. mcdaniels was gonna hold out and make him show up, there was not a single sign that mcdaniels was going to trade him. as a lot of people have been saying for months, bowlen forced the cutler trade, not mcdaniels, he wanted to keep cutler.

bronclvr
06-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Thank heavens ... great news.

They'll work out some kind of temporary deal until the hip and
trial are resolved, then he'll get paid and we'll have our world-
class WR for many years to come :thumbs:

Buff,

Slowly step away from the Kool Aid-this ain't over yet by a long shot-

SoDak Bronco
06-18-2009, 02:46 PM
10 dollars says bmarsh gets a new deal this year

NFLBRONCO
06-18-2009, 02:48 PM
If he's here in 3 weeks I'll buy this but, not now.

tsiguy96
06-18-2009, 02:49 PM

yep.

Irish Stout
06-18-2009, 02:52 PM
that is the exact reason cutler is not a bronco. mcdaniels was gonna hold out and make him show up, there was not a single sign that mcdaniels was going to trade him. as a lot of people have been saying for months, bowlen forced the cutler trade, not mcdaniels, he wanted to keep cutler.

BING - fing - O!

This may be the first post by tsi since the Cutler fiasco that hasn't been whining about whiners and bitching about bitchers and I appreciate that too. Good work!

bronclvr
06-18-2009, 02:55 PM

I really hope you and Buff are right, I don't want him to leave either, however we haven't heard from BM (Bowel Movement) yet-he seems a little headstrong and naive-

55CrushEm
06-18-2009, 03:11 PM
bowlen forced the cutler trade, not mcdaniels, he wanted to keep cutler.

Wrong.....CUTLER forced the Cutler trade. Bowlen and McDaniels did not.....Bowlen merely pulled the trigger.

tsiguy96
06-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Wrong.....CUTLER forced the Cutler trade. Bowlen and McDaniels did not.....Bowlen merely pulled the trigger.

you know what i meant. cutler WANTED the trade, bowlen FORCED it to happen, if it was up to mcdaniels he would still be here, but i think mcdaniels knows better than to seriously question his employer. hows that....

Hercules Rockefeller
06-18-2009, 03:45 PM

Since it sounds like they've already told him they have no problem with giving him a new deal, you're not really going out on a limb.

broncosteven
06-18-2009, 04:08 PM

after he made an example of him and "Took care of it"

Bowlen probably didn't like McStalin coming out and saying "I'll take care of it" and instead took care of it himself.

BroncoBuff
06-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Buff,

Slowly step away from the Kool Aid-this ain't over yet by a long shot-

That's your post #666 ... I'll accept it as such.

bronclvr
06-18-2009, 04:23 PM
That's your post #666 ... I'll accept it as such.

Wow, 666-that's a lot for me, thanks for noticing Ha!

Now, I hope my Head doesn't do a 360 and spew pea Soup-

BabyTO
06-18-2009, 04:24 PM
I can't find a single quote in there. It's just Mike Florio that dumbass telling us his opinion.

BroncoBuff
06-18-2009, 04:25 PM

Looks like it. Maybe not the monster deal right away, but something to make him
settle down and start learning the system. Once the hip and the trial are behind
him, maybe then he gets the big one.

Bronx33
06-18-2009, 04:38 PM

Yep brandon and his agent have painted themselves into a corner 3 years into 4 year contract and he cannot become a UFA until he completes his rookie contract so he a RA. Remember the locklock is still looming for 2011 if we deside to make him sit in 2010 ( he cannot get his 4th year ( he has to play) iam going to bet he shows up in august dressed up as a bronco.

Premier-Ace55
06-18-2009, 07:43 PM

Yeah I heard one time when he said something like to the effect that he is still suffering from short term memory loss and that some of his memories of the championship years are fading. See I thought he was meaning that he wants to win another title because it's been along time. I thought it was a clever joke but maybe i'm thinking about my short term memory loss.

Malcontent
06-18-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm in the "pay the man" camp...Just make it incentive laden.

Popcorn Sutton
06-18-2009, 08:08 PM

Even if it's incentive laden there will still be a boat load of signing money which is a big risk given the injury and legal concerns.

~Crash~
06-18-2009, 08:17 PM
I do agree that Bowlen should probably stay out of these situations, in general. With Cutler, it was pretty much unavoidable.

Define that ? LOL this should be really good . as I recall Cutler said he would do all the mandatory stuff but there would be no need that the Broncos would trade him and strangely enough he was right .... could that mean the Goodman's told him that the new coach wanted to trade cutler and was soon to do that makes to much sense ...rattle on .....

cutthemdown
06-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Force the dude to play. He will have to play because you gain nothing by not playing. Without a CBA even if he sat yr and came week 10 to get credit for yr, he would be a restricted FA.

He will have to show up and play great. If he does play great we can match an offer he gets as a restricted FA or just give him a huge deal, or sign and trade whatever.

The thing is by doing it this way it puts the risk on Marshall to kick ass or not get paid. I like that idea.

fdf
06-18-2009, 08:50 PM
"And coupled with Bowlen’s admission that he is suffering from short-term memory loss, any one-on-one meeting with an unhappy player can result in the player claiming that Bowlen said things that he flat-out didn’t say."

The author is either a moron or is being deliberately obtuse if he actually believes Bowlen was not joking about the superbowl when he said that.

"So that’s the problems the Broncos now have. Marshall thinks Bowlen said a trade will be pursued. It doesn’t matter whether the team disagrees; the mere fact that Marshall believes it will make it even harder for the coaching staff and the front office to manage the situation."

That Marshall SAYS he's going to be traded does not mean that he BELIEVES that's what Bowlen said. I interpret Marshall's statement as either a lie or a gross exaggeration intended to force the trade ball to start rolling downhill.

watermock
06-18-2009, 09:20 PM
BM will "report" with his "doctors slip", playing sparingly, enough to become a FA and manage to beat up his Newlywed.

Heard it here first.

watermock
06-18-2009, 09:28 PM
The thing about violent behavior, is that it becomes easier and easier to cross the "line" of previous behavior.

Putting to an extreme, the first kill in combat is the hardest.

So it is in most DM violence. That's why it's usually best to just part ways, because, once that theshold is passed, the "statement" must be stronger.

Simply put, it's an "escallation" out of control.

cutthemdown
06-18-2009, 10:31 PM
BM will "report" with his "doctors slip", playing sparingly, enough to become a FA and manage to beat up his Newlywed.

Heard it here first.

yeah but he would only be restricted FA unless they get a new CBA which I don't think owners want just yet. The uncapped yr with more players being restricted FA, with no minimum payroll levels, allows them to do alot of things.

So if he played sparingly what type of offers would he get? I think to get what he wants he needs 70-80 balls and 1000 yrds even with Orton.

LongDongJohnson
06-18-2009, 11:36 PM
you know what i meant. cutler WANTED the trade, bowlen FORCED it to happen, if it was up to mcdaniels he would still be here, but i think mcdaniels knows better than to seriously question his employer. hows that....

WRONG..... my long dong johnson forced the trade

broncocalijohn
06-19-2009, 12:19 AM
give the dude the money

not that simple Einstein. We have injury issues and court issues. Let us wait on that before give him the money. If we happen to give him a new contract for this year and beyond, how will he feel when it is laden with conditions based on behavior?

OrangeRising
06-19-2009, 12:30 AM
If Marshall were to sit, how many games would he HAVE to play to assure the 2009 season counts as a contract year?

I thought it was six, but i read somewhere he could conceivably sit out 8 weeks, report, and still get credit for the 2009 season .

I don't care, really. Sit or play, but no trade.

rastaman
06-19-2009, 03:56 AM
Yep Brandon and his agent have painted themselves into a corner 3 years into 4 year contract and he cannot become a UFA until he completes his rookie contract so he a RA. Remember the locklock is still looming for 2011 if we deside to make him sit in 2010 ( he cannot get his 4th year ( he has to play) iam going to bet he shows up in august dressed up as a bronco.

If Brandon is smart he will show up and collect his 2.2 Mil contract. However, this isn't to say it will be business as usual. For the fans who believe that BMarsh will give in and make the fans happy, buy into McD's offensive philosophy, and adjust to the lower caliber of the QB talents of Orton could all be in for a rude surprise.

Of course by management standing fast and not giving in to Brandon's trade demands-----management must then commit to a contract extinction or a new contract for BMarsh before the season starts or run the risk of him playing just well enough to not get injured. This will only compound the likelihood of BMarsh stats declining and no Pro bowl appearance for 09. Should McD get pissed at BMarsh and bench him, then defenses will key in on Royal and Royal stats and effectiveness suffers and he has a sophomore slump. Now the drama will really comes full circle.

Should this scenario happen, Denver can't demand a 1st and 3rd draft picks in 2010 if trade demands are demanded by Brandon and the animosity and hate will really fester between Brandon and Denver. So to head all this off, if Bowlen will not trade Marshall and force him into camp......Bowlen had better be willing to sign Brandon long term or nothing has been solved! Its back to square one.

Management and the fans had better be careful what they wish for by forcing BMarsh to remain a Bronco in 2009....this could turn into a disaster of epic proportions.

watermock
06-19-2009, 04:29 AM
The circus never ends at Dove Valley.

rastaman
06-19-2009, 04:36 AM
If Marshall were to sit, how many games would he HAVE to play to assure the 2009 season counts as a contract year?

I thought it was six, but i read somewhere he could conceivably sit out 8 weeks, report, and still get credit for the 2009 season .

I don't care, really. Sit or play, but no trade.

So what's gained? In the end BMarsh comes out on top if he doesn't suffer any major injuries btwn 09, 2010, or 2011, b/c he still has pro bowl talent and the animosity will be so great btwn Brandon and Denver, the Broncos loose BMarsh to another team, thus looking foolish in the process and getting no compensation at the level of Marshall's talents. Leverage goes to Brandon b/c he's young and talented.

55CrushEm
06-19-2009, 07:13 AM

There always has to be a good balance in the contract between how much is incentive laden, and how much is guaranteed or base salary.

For guys like BM and TO....if it's TOO incentive laden, then they start bitching about not getting enough balls thrown to them (cause they're thinking about money they could lose if they don't catch enough balls)....and now you have a bigger malcontent on the team.

oubronco
06-19-2009, 07:18 AM
You all remember the big "Bowlen Should Have Been More Inovolved-gate" around here when Jay was making poo-poo in his shorts about all of this?

Even some of the media said he "should have done more."

Now, it seems people are realizing that owners rarely get too deep in these things, nor do they need to. (As many of us told you at the time.)

Bowlen isn't Jerry Jones. Marshall went right to him because they have a relationship. But, Bowlen hasn't said much, publicly. The only thing he said publicly about Cutler was that he wasn't returning calls... and that was a last-ditch effort.

Again, looking for conspiracies where they don't exist only drives you crazy. None of this stuff is that difficult.

-Jay is a b**** and forced his way out of town.

-Brandon wants more money because he knows he's in danger of losing millions if he messes up again.

Very, very simple. We don't need to complicate it.

not to mention the likes of Kerry Colbert makes more than him