PDA

View Full Version : Cutler on Marshall

TonyR
06-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Cutler On Marshall: “He’s A Great Player”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on June 17, 2009, 7:39 p.m. EDT

Peppered with multiple questions about wide receivers Brandon Marshall and Plaxico Burress, Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler stuck with the company line about the team’s need for an upgrade at wide receiver.

Cutler claimed that wide receiver Devin Hester is a true No. 1 wide receiver.

And he didn’t delve much into rumors surrounding the Bears’ potential interest in Marshall, who has asked to be traded, and Burress, a free agent with a pending felony gun case, according to David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune.

“We have everything we need out there,” Cutler said. “We’re going to be more than fine out there. I’m 100 percent comfortable. I think we have more than enough to compete.”

The Bears have been repeatedly linked to Marshall, whom Cutler said he hasn’t spoken with recently after their successful collaboration in Denver prior to Cutler being traded.

“He’s a great player, I played with him for three years and put up some big numbers with him,” Cutler said. “Wherever he ends up, I’m sure he’s going to be successful. Whether or not it’s here, it’s up to the guys upstairs. As of right now, I’m 100 percent happy with what we have.”

Cutler wasn’t surprised about Marshall going public with his unhappiness, recently skipping a mandatory minicamp and asking Broncos owner Pat Bowlen for a trade.

“I knew he wasn’t going to be happy if he didn’t get a new contract,” Cutler said. “I think that’s what the basis of his whole issue with him is getting a new contract. If you look at it from his perspective, I can see where he’s coming from.”

Cutler said that he hasn’t recently sent text messages to Burress after communicating with him earlier this offseason.

Cutler didn’t seem to be counting on Burress coming to Chicago, which has been rumored as a potential destination for the former New York Giants star along with the New York Jets and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Bears coach Lovie Smith made it clear that nothing is imminent as far as possibly acquiring Burress.

“Plaxico Burress is a good football player, we all know that,” Smith said. “We keep all of our options open, but I feel good about the team we have right now and I feel good about our receivers we have right now.

“The door is never closed on anyone available. We’ve said that every time. It’s not like we’re aggressively going after him but we evaluate everyone we think can make our team better.”

So, don’t rule out the Bears as a potential interested party in both wide receivers.

Despite his legal problems, Burress would be simpler to acquire from the standpoint that he’s a free agent.

The Bears don’t have a lot of ammunition left over for a trade for Marshall following the Cutler acquisition.

Both players would be expensive, but Marshall is expected to have an even higher price tag.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/17/cutler-on-marshall-hes-a-great-player/

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Yeah, right. Like the Broncos would trade Marshall to Denver. They'd have to get raped in a deal for Denver to even consider it. How about 2 #1s, a 3rd, Brian Urlacher and Tommie Harris for Marshall? No? Then **** off.

Popps
06-17-2009, 08:53 PM
“I knew he wasn’t going to be happy if he didn’t get a new contract,” Cutler said. “I think that’s what the basis of his whole issue with him is getting a new contract. If you look at it from his perspective, I can see where he’s coming from.”

Yep, and if you look at it from the team's perspective, any rational human being can see where they're coming from.

GreatBronco16
06-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Cutler claimed that wide receiver Devin Hester is a true No. 1 wide receiver.

Hilarious!

Broncosfreak_56
06-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Who is this cutlet guy?

TheDave
06-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Heard something on the FAN today... that according to "sources" Cutler is absolutely miserable in chicagos offense.

Kinda warmed my heart to hear that. ;D

tsiguy96
06-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Heard something on the FAN today... that according to "sources" Cutler is absolutely miserable in chicagos offense.

really? thats awesome. i hope he forces his way out of chicago in 2 years, abslutely kill his reputation and make broncos look like geniuses in retrospect.

TheDave
06-17-2009, 10:05 PM
really? thats awesome. i hope he forces his way out of chicago in 2 years, abslutely kill his reputation and make broncos look like geniuses in retrospect.

Though I was and still am 100% against trading Cutler, I have a funny suspicion this Chicago thing is going to end badly for him. His offensive line, recievers and coaching talent are a fraction of what he is used too.

Remember how he used to go off on our recievers when they dropped a pass... He could end up blowing a gasket before the bye-week.

NFLBRONCO
06-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Though I was and still am 100% against trading Cutler, I have a funny suspicion this Chicago thing is going to end badly for him. His offensive line, recievers and coaching talent are a fraction of what he is used too.

Remember how he used to go off on our recievers when they dropped a pass... He could end up blowing a gasket before the bye-week.

I think fans will turn on him faster then fans did here. Chicago is a bigger market faster pace and more pressure on him to succeed see how he deals with that pressure. I think he'll find out Denver was a breeze vs the expectations Bears fans will have for him no more excuses.

tsiguy96
06-17-2009, 10:32 PM
I think fans will turn on him faster then fans did here. Chicago is a bigger market faster pace and more pressure on him to succeed see how he deals with that pressure. I think he'll find out Denver was a breeze vs the expectations Bears fans will have for him no more excuses.

not is he only being looked at as their savior, they gave up a lot to get him.

extralife
06-17-2009, 10:35 PM
There is NOT more pressure for him to succeed in Chicago. That's bunk. By simply showing up he's the best thing they've fielded at that position in 50 years. Here, every mistake is something John Elway wouldn't have done.

GreatBronco16
06-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Here, every mistake is something John Elway wouldn't have done.

Can't argue against that.

ZONA
06-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I don't buy into that a player has more pressure to succeed on a different team. This is the NFL. If you don't produce, you will be gone. Even on crappy teams. And what the hell do you mean Chicago fans expect more? F THAT crap. I expect a superbowl every year and I don't root for the Bears.

TheReverend
06-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Let it go man, he's gone. :)

TheReverend
06-17-2009, 11:05 PM

Pears, Foster, Myers, Kuper as a rookie, and naturally Nalen in his twilight, Glen Martinez, rarely un-injured in Cut's tenure Javon Walker...

Nope, sorry, don't buy it.

ward63
06-18-2009, 12:28 AM
I thought this said "Culter going to Marshall"....D@#n!!! I thought I figured out where I was going to go to grad school

Dale Snorts Blow
06-18-2009, 12:34 AM
There is NOT more pressure for him to succeed in Chicago. That's bunk. By simply showing up he's the best thing they've fielded at that position in 50 years. Here, every mistake is something John Elway wouldn't have done.

Well said. I agree with that completely.

Anaximines
06-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Yeah, right. Like the Broncos would trade Marshall to Denver. They'd have to get raped in a deal for Denver to even consider it.

hmmm...

DBroncos4life
06-18-2009, 12:41 AM

I think the Bears can build a team around him faster then we can build one around Orton. Right now the Bears can make a good play at a WR that is 31 years old that has over 500 catches 7800 yards and 55 career tds. The best we can do is Kyle Orton. Laugh all you want but at the end of the day **** is ****ed up in Bronco land and the Bears are out of the news.

BroncoBuff
06-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Pears, Foster, Myers, Kuper as a rookie, and naturally Nalen in his twilight, Glen Martinez, rarely un-injured in Cut's tenure Javon Walker...

Those are very good points ... that '07 team was only an average supporting cast. Remember Clady, Harris and Royal were brand new last year ... and we vaulted to what, the 2nd most yards in the league?

I can see TheDave's point, but I seriously doubt Jay melts down. Anybody would learn/mature some from what happened here, and Jay knows all eyes will be focused on his maturity or lack thereof. My guess is he'll live long and prosper in Chicago.

FireFly
06-18-2009, 01:17 AM
Those are very good points ... that '07 team was only an average supporting cast. Remember Clady, Harris and Royal were brand new last year ... and we vaulted to what, the 2nd most yards in the league?

I can see TheDave's point, but I seriously doubt Jay melts down. Anybody would learn/mature some from what happened here, and Jay knows all eyes will be focused on his maturity or lack thereof. My guess is he'll live long and prosper in Chicago.

I agree. I actually think he'll be a more mature player and person there than he would have developed into had he have stayed here. Simply because of what he must have learnt this offseason, and because of the attention he no doubt knows he is going to get on and off the field. Granted, he would have got attention here as well, I just think that in his mind, he's going to be more aware of it now.

BroncoMan4ever
06-18-2009, 01:25 AM
with Cutler calling Hester a true number 1 receiver, i am convinced he has no ****ing clue what he is talking about and i am glad his stupidity is gone.

NFLBRONCO
06-18-2009, 01:30 AM

I agree with your point. I wasn't making it a Jay vs John thing though.

Later on I'll explain my view.

NFLBRONCO
06-18-2009, 01:34 AM

He might mature in time but, overnight I have my doubts he's too aloof.

DBroncos4life
06-18-2009, 01:34 AM
with Cutler calling Hester a true number 1 receiver, i am convinced he has no ****ing clue what he is talking about and i am glad his stupidity is gone.

Yeah I think he should have came right and said he isn't worthy to look that the guy that looked at the guy that guy that heard about the guy that knew the guy that once made him pizza.

**** a guy that is a team player right?

BroncoMan4ever
06-18-2009, 01:44 AM
Yeah I think he should have came right and said he isn't worthy to look that the guy that looked at the guy that guy that heard about the guy that knew the guy that once made him pizza.

**** a guy that is a team player right?

ok, first off, don;t drink and post. makes your **** sound stranger than usual.

secondly, there is a difference between being naive about what is around you and being a team player. being a good team player is saying i feel these guys around me are good and we will be fine. being a moron is calling Hester a true number 1 receiver, or saying you have a stronger arm than Elway, or acting like god's gift to the NFL when you have a losing record as a starter, or ignoring your owner.

GreatBronco16
06-18-2009, 02:18 AM

secondly, there is a difference between being naive about what is around you and being a team player. being a good team player is saying i feel these guys around me are good and we will be fine. being a moron is calling Hester a true number 1 receiver, or saying you have a stronger arm than Elway, or acting like god's gift to the NFL when you have a losing record as a starter, or ignoring your owner.

QFFT!!!

DBroncos4life
06-18-2009, 02:20 AM

So he changed the subject from a former player and a guy they are thinking about signing right to a player on his roster thats what leaders should do. Even if we don't think that Hester is a number one WR, that doesn't change the fact the guy wins games and is a game changer if you need something to remind you then all you have to do is pop in the game tape of 2007 game where he skull ****ed us. As for him thinking his arm is stronger then Elways..... there is no Elway in Chitown there no QB ever. If he goes there and says he is better the the 86 Bears D then I will admit the dude is a crazy dumb ****.

DBroncos4life
06-18-2009, 02:39 AM
hell I bet even Russel would call one of the Oakland Wrs a number one WR and not laugh.

elsid13
06-18-2009, 03:07 AM

The correct, because Cutler wasn't compared to the Elway the player, he compared against Elway the legend, the QB that never failed.

TheDave
06-18-2009, 08:49 AM

He played 6 games with foster and got a concussion to show for it... The addition of Daniel Grahm in 2007 made a significant difference and made both lepsis and pears much better, and helped keep the preassure off of him. As for the recievers, an often injured Javon Walker, Brandon Marshall, and Stokely is a HOF group of compared to what he has now. Add in Royal and the difference becomes even more glarring.

and none of this touches on the difference between Shanahan and the bears current staff. Don't kid yourself, Cutler has nothing compared to what he is used to.

TheDave
06-18-2009, 08:56 AM
I think the Bears can build a team around him faster then we can build one around Orton. Right now the Bears can make a good play at a WR that is 31 years old that has over 500 catches 7800 yards and 55 career tds. The best we can do is Kyle Orton. Laugh all you want but at the end of the day **** is ****ed up in Bronco land and the Bears are out of the news.

I'm not sure I understand your point... We already have a VERY good group of talent around Orton. If we keep Marshall we have 4 excellent recievers, 2 very good TE's one of the best O lines in the game and in my opinion a real difference maker at RB in Knowshon.

If Orton can't make that work then we won't be building anything around him... We'll be shopping for a new QB again.

TheReverend
06-18-2009, 11:00 AM
He played 6 games with foster and got a concussion to show for it... The addition of Daniel Grahm in 2007 made a significant difference and made both lepsis and pears much better, and helped keep the preassure off of him. As for the recievers, an often injured Javon Walker, Brandon Marshall, and Stokely is a HOF group of compared to what he has now. Add in Royal and the difference becomes even more glarring.

and none of this touches on the difference between Shanahan and the bears current staff. Don't kid yourself, Cutler has nothing compared to what he is used to.

Though I've been down on Chris Williams since he declared eligible for the draft, someone like Orlando Pace is the PERFECT mentor. And that signing allows him to cut his teeth on the right side, for at least a season (barring Pace injury).

As far receivers go, they've drafted two more, and we have no idea how solid the others can be with a legitimate NFL quarterback. Outside of that, there's still a very real possibility they try to trade for Brandon or sign Plax.

Also, their TE is awesome, and for the first time in his career (outside of a few games with Hillis), Cutler has a solid RB with great hands, that can make plays after the catch in the backfield.

Are his receivers Marshall, Royal and Stokely? No. Is his line Clady and Harris? No.

But they're going to be way better than they look on paper.

TheDave
06-18-2009, 01:52 PM
With the exception of their tight end being "awesome"... Do you realize that everything in your post is a big "IF".

If Chris Williams pans out...
If Orlando Pace can play...
If their rookie receivers develop...
If the sign Plaxico...

Like I've said 1,000 times, I wouldn't have traded cutler under any circumstances... But don't kid yourself, Chicago has no where near the offensive talent we do. The biggest difference just might be in the coaching staff. Going from the Shanahan/Bates system to that stone age crap they run is going to be a major culture shock... And according to what the guys on the radio have said, he's already starting to see just how good he had it.

fdf
06-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Can't argue against that.

Elway made a bunch of mistakes. Just not in the 4th quarter when the game was on the line.

Smiling Assassin27
06-18-2009, 02:02 PM

Chicago is a smashmouth team. They will run Matt Forte into the ground, it's just how Chicago does things. Historically, the Bears qb isn't asked to fling it around, but manage a run-based scheme. Jay will not be happy after throwing on darn near every down last year. Couple that with the leaky O-Line and marginal WR's and it could be a long season for Cutler.

BroncoMan4ever
06-18-2009, 02:11 PM
So he changed the subject from a former player and a guy they are thinking about signing right to a player on his roster thats what leaders should do. Even if we don't think that Hester is a number one WR, that doesn't change the fact the guy wins games and is a game changer if you need something to remind you then all you have to do is pop in the game tape of 2007 game where he skull ****ed us. As for him thinking his arm is stronger then Elways..... there is no Elway in Chitown there no QB ever. If he goes there and says he is better the the 86 Bears D then I will admit the dude is a crazy dumb ****.

I am not arguing that Hester isn't a game changer as a RETURN MAN, but to call him a true number 1 receiver is like calling John Engleberger a great starting DE. it is just ignorant, and makes you sound stupid.

Smiling Assassin27
06-18-2009, 02:14 PM
I am not arguing that Hester isn't a game changer as a RETURN MAN, but to call him a true number 1 receiver is like calling John Engleberger a great starting DE. it is just ignorant, and makes you sound stupid.

If Hester's a #1, then so are Ted Ginn, Patrick Crayton, and Hank Baskett.

bronco militia
06-18-2009, 02:16 PM
IMO, Cutler could give a rats ass about BM.

reading between the lines here, It sounds like the last thing Cutler would want to see is BM in chicago

DBroncos4life
06-18-2009, 02:49 PM

Is he or isn't he their number one WR? Would you want the QB of your team down playing the ability of his team mates? I mean really what doesn't make him a number one receiver for the Bears? Is it his size? You got guys like Santan Moss who is 5'10", Steve Smith who is 5'9", Ted Ginn 5'11", and DeSean Jackson 5'10" who all are number one WRs for their respected teams. All three playoff teams as well. There is no reason to think that Hester is anything other then the number one WR for the Bears system.

Atlas
06-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Though I've been down on Chris Williams since he declared eligible for the draft, someone like Orlando Pace is the PERFECT mentor. And that signing allows him to cut his teeth on the right side, for at least a season (barring Pace injury).

As far receivers go, they've drafted two more, and we have no idea how solid the others can be with a legitimate NFL quarterback. Outside of that, there's still a very real possibility they try to trade for Brandon or sign Plax.

Also, their TE is awesome, and for the first time in his career (outside of a few games with Hillis), Cutler has a solid RB with great hands, that can make plays after the catch in the backfield.

Are his receivers Marshall, Royal and Stokely? No. Is his line Clady and Harris? No.

But they're going to be way better than they look on paper.

There is still Harrison, Burris, maybe Marshall out there. The Bears will acquire another WR before training camp.

colonelbeef
06-18-2009, 03:38 PM

qft.

Captain 'Dre
06-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Yeah, right. Like the Broncos would trade Marshall to Denver. They'd have to get raped in a deal for Denver to even consider it. How about 2 #1s, a 3rd, Brian Urlacher and Tommie Harris for Marshall? No? Then **** off.

You lost me at trading Mashall to Denver...

Captain 'Dre
06-18-2009, 03:58 PM

If true, The Golden Cutlet totally deserves it. :~ohyah!:

HILife
06-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Who is this cutlet guy?

?

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/4921943/2/istockphoto_4921943-tbone-steak.jpg

rastaman
06-18-2009, 04:05 PM

Thats alright, next year when the Bears hire Shanny! that Bears offense will be much better. :flower:

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-18-2009, 04:09 PM
You lost me at trading Mashall to Denver...

Obviously, it's a typo, ****o. Was it that difficult to figure out?

rastaman
06-18-2009, 04:11 PM

Hey can't throw your WR's under the bus.....gotta get off to the best start possible. Surely you didn't Cutler to take a two faced plastic McDaniels persona....did you!

rastaman
06-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Chicago is a smashmouth team. They will run Matt Forte into the ground, it's just how Chicago does things. Historically, the Bears qb isn't asked to fling it around, but manage a run-based scheme. Jay will not be happy after throwing on darn near every down last year. Couple that with the leaky O-Line and marginal WR's and it could be a long season for Cutler.

Should Lovee Smith choose to grind out and he suffers his 4th consecutive loosing season.....this could just open the door for the Bears to seek the services of the Man from Illinois.....Mike Shanahan. That would change the offensive culture of the Bears in a hurry.

TheReverend
06-18-2009, 04:26 PM
With the exception of their tight end being "awesome"... Do you realize that everything in your post is a big "IF".

If Chris Williams pans out...
If Orlando Pace can play...
If their rookie receivers develop...
If the sign Plaxico...

Like I've said 1,000 times, I wouldn't have traded cutler under any circumstances... But don't kid yourself, Chicago has no where near the offensive talent we do. The biggest difference just might be in the coaching staff. Going from the Shanahan/Bates system to that stone age crap they run is going to be a major culture shock... And according to what the guys on the radio have said, he's already starting to see just how good he had it.

Sorry for the delay.

Will this make you happier?

IF Chris Williams and Pace both fail miserably, then his offensive line will be on the same level as his 2006 Broncos experience.

IF their rookies are horrid and they make no signings, then Cutler still has Hester and Bennett to work with. That's not THAT bad, especially considering Olsen and Forte.

I'll re-state AGAIN that this is not approaching the talent level of offensive players we fielded last season, but from reading your take on it, they'll surprise you for sure.

Br0nc0Buster
06-18-2009, 04:28 PM
There is still Harrison, Burris, maybe Marshall out there. The Bears will acquire another WR before training camp.

Harrison is done, his knee is ****ed
Plax is going to jail
Marshall isnt getting traded

DBroncos4life
06-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Plax is going to jail

Plax will not nor should he go to jail. The dude shot himself and it wasn't on purpose.

rastaman
06-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Plax is going to jail

BMarsh isn't getting traded in 09.....but 2010 is a whole new story. Low stats from Brandon in 09, lowers his trade value and although he's still talented, the Broncos will be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for him in 2010, more likely a 3rd. Forcing BMarsh to stay a Bronco is courting disaster.

TonyR
06-18-2009, 07:07 PM
BMarsh isn't getting traded in 09.....but 2010 is a whole new story. Low stats from Brandon in 09, lowers his trade value and although he's still talented, the Broncos will be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for him in 2010, more likely a 3rd. Forcing BMarsh to stay a Bronco is courting disaster.

Why wouldn't they just keep him again in 2010 in your scenario?

Br0nc0Buster
06-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Plax will not nor should he go to jail. The dude shot himself and it wasn't on purpose.

Well aside from the crime of being incredibly stupid, I think he owned a gun that he didnt have a license for

I didnt think it was a matter of opinion, I thought it was pretty much established he will serve some jail time

Dont forget regardless of his verdict, Goodell will suspend him

Br0nc0Buster
06-18-2009, 07:08 PM

no crap, makes no sense to trade him after lowering his value

But his value to us is worth more than he would get in the market, hes not going anywhere

DBroncos4life
06-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Well aside from the crime of being incredibly stupid, I think he owned a gun that he didnt have a license for

I didnt think it was a matter of opinion, I thought it was pretty much established he will serve some jail time

Dont forget regardless of his verdict, Goodell will suspend him

He will get off or get a much lesser charge with no jail time and even if Goodell gives him a time out it shouldn't be more then 4 games and thats a big if.

BroncoMan4ever
06-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Is he or isn't he their number one WR? Would you want the QB of your team down playing the ability of his team mates? I mean really what doesn't make him a number one receiver for the Bears? Is it his size? You got guys like Santan Moss who is 5'10", Steve Smith who is 5'9", Ted Ginn 5'11", and DeSean Jackson 5'10" who all are number one WRs for their respected teams. All three playoff teams as well. There is no reason to think that Hester is anything other then the number one WR for the Bears system.

he may be a number 1 receiver in Chicago by default, but on a good offensive team he is at best a number 3 slot receiver and return man. Size has nothing to do with it, it comes down to talent, and his talent is as a receiver. Ginn is another example of a guy who is a better return man than number 1 receiver.

and with your size argument, if hypothetically we were to trade Eddie Royal to the Bears, he would instantly take the number 1 receiver spot from Hester.

BroncoMan4ever
06-18-2009, 07:47 PM

if i were in charge of the Bears i would bring in Harrison. he is a perfect signing based on experience alone. if he is healthy he is a solid possession receiver who can teach ins and outs to the younger guys on the team and help make Jay into a man.

BroncoMan4ever
06-18-2009, 07:51 PM

not surprising. the Bears offense consists of running the ball and dumpoff passes to Forte and underneath passes to Olsen. it isn't designed for the QB to take charge and fling it all over the field, it is a very controlled reeled in offense.

DBroncos4life
06-18-2009, 08:57 PM
he may be a number 1 receiver in Chicago by default, but on a good offensive team he is at best a number 3 slot receiver and return man. Size has nothing to do with it, it comes down to talent, and his talent is as a receiver. Ginn is another example of a guy who is a better return man than number 1 receiver.

and with your size argument, if hypothetically we were to trade Eddie Royal to the Bears, he would instantly take the number 1 receiver spot from Hester.

Same goes if we trade BM Royal becomes our number one go to guy. Do you think he can do it?

Captain 'Dre
06-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Obviously, it's a typo, ****o. Was it that difficult to figure out?

I dunno. Would it have been that tough to just say what you actually meant, instead of saying the opposite?!?

At least I was paying attention, and evidently you weren't! Ha!

TheDave
06-18-2009, 10:37 PM
not surprising. the Bears offense consists of running the ball and dumpoff passes to Forte and underneath passes to Olsen. it isn't designed for the QB to take charge and fling it all over the field, it is a very controlled reeled in offense.

If this report is true, I think that is going to be his biggest source of frustration. Having watched 8 of the bears games to scout Orton I was shocked at how painfully conservative they are.

Add the drop off in talent and I think our former golden boy is in for a rough time this year.

BroncoMan4ever
06-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Same goes if we trade BM Royal becomes our number one go to guy. Do you think he can do it?

yes. i think Royal has the talent to be a damn good number 1 receiver. he reminds me of Rod Smith, he runs great routes, gives everything he's got, works harder than almost every player on the field. he has the skill and determination to be a number 1 receiver without Marshall.

Rod Smith did it on his own for quite a few years after Eddie Mac hung up the cleats, and Eddie can do it too if he had to. and unlike Hester in Chicago, Royal would be good at the job, and not called a number 1 receiver simply by default, but because he is a number 1 receiver.

Atlas
06-19-2009, 01:26 AM
if i were in charge of the Bears i would bring in Harrison. he is a perfect signing based on experience alone. if he is healthy he is a solid possession receiver who can teach ins and outs to the younger guys on the team and help make Jay into a man.

I thought they should have jumped on Tory Holt as soon as they signed Cutler. They also should have requested the Broncos throw in Scheffler in the trade. They probably could have gotten him for that 4th rounder Denver gave to them.

watermock
06-19-2009, 01:47 AM
I thought they should have jumped on Tory Holt as soon as they signed Cutler. They also should have requested the Broncos throw in Scheffler in the trade. They probably could have gotten him for that 4th rounder Denver gave to them.

That would of made sense, except to McDummy. He allready has 4 TE's, Graham, Quinn, Putz and Scheff, plus Hillis.

The stone cold fact is he doesn't want to look a bigger fool than allready exists.

Holt and Harison are done.

Honestly, I'm not sure why we signed Putz and kept Scheff while trading up to the second for Quinn while paying Graham 10 million..

Pure genius I guess.

BroncoMan4ever
06-19-2009, 03:22 AM

Scheff would not have been an upgrade for them. Olsen has proven to be very reliable, catches around 60 balls a year. Scheff would just be a backup and occasional sub or used in 2-TE sets, but he wouldn't be an upgrade to what they have in Olsen. Olsen is one of the most underrated players in the league.

BroncoMan4ever
06-19-2009, 03:37 AM
That would of made sense, except to McDummy. He allready has 4 TE's, Graham, Quinn, Putz and Scheff, plus Hillis.

The stone cold fact is he doesn't want to look a bigger fool than allready exists.

Holt and Harison are done.

Honestly, I'm not sure why we signed Putz and kept Scheff while trading up to the second for Quinn while paying Graham 10 million..

Pure genius I guess.

Quinn is going to take over for Graham in the next couple years. and while Graham is here, he is going to provide extra size in jumbo packages and as an extra blocker in goalline and red zone situations.

in 2 seasons when Graham's contract is up, he isn't going to be re-signed, and Quinn will take over his position after having learned how to play like him for a couple seasons.

what is wrong with signing Putz? it gives depth and with the unknown of Scheff usually suffering some sort of injury, it is smart to have depth from a guy known to be a solid receiving TE. and worst case scenario, he is cut before the season.

too many people are bitching about McDaniels bringing in guys for depth.

it would be the same situation with Shanahan only instead of Putz it would again be Nate Jackson taking up a roster space.

why are so many down on McDaniels bringing in a bunch of guys to compete? he is doing the same thing every coach in the league does. too many are just hating on every move he can make. he addresses the RB position and people bitch we brought in scrubs, he drafts the best back in the draft and the same people bitch that he had already brought in 3 other guys. people are forgetting we went through 9 different RBs last season and in NE where he came from they were down to their 4th or 5th string back.

He addresses the secondary, a unit amongst the worst of all time in the NFL and people bitch that he ignored the front 7.

he brings in high quality guys who will make the team better and contribute, and people bitch that he didn't get the right guy(or in other words the guy that particular fan wanted)

too many are forgetting that Mike was constantly drafting bad character guys, and terrible players simply because they played positions of need, and that is why we were mediocre for almost a decade with the exception of the 2005 season.

people need to relax, drink a beer, smoke some weed, get laid or whatever, and just calm the hell down until the guy has coached a few games that are meaningful or at least coached a few practices in full pads.

this is June and we are at or near the 80 player max for the TC roster and there are going to be more signings and releases coming in the next couple months, while the roster is being worked around to be set in a way as to make the team the best it can be for this season.

watermock
06-19-2009, 04:19 AM
OK.

Best as we can be?

That means all of or 1 card draftees should be in camp right?

I still can't believe we fired the Goodmans right after the Senior Bowl.

We got who we wanted tho. All on 1 index card.

rastaman
06-19-2009, 04:54 AM

Here's the entire scenario. If Brandon is smart he will show up and collect his 2.2 Mil contract. However, this isn't to say it will be business as usual. For the fans who believe that BMarsh will give in and make the fans happy, buy into McD's offensive philosophy, and adjust to the lower caliber of the QB talents of Orton could all be in for a rude surprise.

Of course by management standing fast and not giving in to Brandon's trade demands-----management must then commit to a contract extinction or a new contract for BMarsh before the season starts or run the risk of him playing just well enough to not get injured. This will only compound the likelihood of BMarsh stats declining and no Pro bowl appearance for 09. Should McD get pissed at BMarsh and bench him, then defenses will key in on Royal and Royal stats and effectiveness suffers and he has a sophomore slump. Now the drama will really comes full circle.

Should this scenario happen, Denver can't demand a 1st and 3rd draft picks in 2010 if trade demands are demanded by Brandon and the animosity and hate will really fester between Brandon and Denver. So to head all this off, if Bowlen will not trade Marshall and force him into camp......Bowlen had better be willing to sign Brandon long term or nothing has been solved! Its back to square one.

Management and the fans had better be careful what they wish for by forcing BMarsh to remain a Bronco in 2009, 2010 or 2011....this could turn into a disaster of epic proportions.

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-19-2009, 06:03 AM
I dunno. Would it have been that tough to just say what you actually meant, instead of saying the opposite?!?

At least I was paying attention, and evidently you weren't! Ha!

Good one.

TonyR
06-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Should this scenario happen, Denver can't demand a 1st and 3rd draft picks in 2010 if trade demands are demanded by Brandon and the animosity and hate will really fester between Brandon and Denver. So to head all this off, if Bowlen will not trade Marshall and force him into camp......Bowlen had better be willing to sign Brandon long term or nothing has been solved! Its back to square one.

Management and the fans had better be careful what they wish for by forcing BMarsh to remain a Bronco in 2009, 2010 or 2011....this could turn into a disaster of epic proportions.

Meh. It is in BM's best interest to go out and perform at a high level. If he does he'll increase his value to the Broncos as either a player or a trade commodity, making himself more money in both cases. Remember also that Denver can tender him after this season.

oubronco
06-19-2009, 07:15 AM

what expectations they haven't had much to cheer about except their Defense and now they finally have a QB I think they will embrace him

Captain 'Dre
06-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Good one.

It's all good, man.

Cito Pelon
06-19-2009, 09:55 AM
I agree. I actually think he'll be a more mature player and person there than he would have developed into had he have stayed here. Simply because of what he must have learnt this offseason, and because of the attention he no doubt knows he is going to get on and off the field. Granted, he would have got attention here as well, I just think that in his mind, he's going to be more aware of it now.

Well, we'll see. I guess it's a possibility. The pressure was too much for him here.

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-19-2009, 09:57 AM
It's all good, man.

True.

kamakazi_kal
06-19-2009, 10:05 AM

You never know that could change this year.

Cito Pelon
06-19-2009, 10:14 AM
The correct, because Cutler wasn't compared to the Elway the player, he compared against Elway the legend, the QB that never failed.

Ya know, I think Cutler brought on his own problems vs. Elway. You're gonna have dork media guys bring Elway up all the time, but the smart QB laughs and says 'I'm not in Elway's class, and it's hard to believe any QB will be again.' And keeps repeating it over, and over, and over to the nerds from the media that keep asking.

Cito Pelon
06-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Quinn is going to take over for Graham in the next couple years. and while Graham is here, he is going to provide extra size in jumbo packages and as an extra blocker in goalline and red zone situations.

in 2 seasons when Graham's contract is up, he isn't going to be re-signed, and Quinn will take over his position after having learned how to play like him for a couple seasons.

what is wrong with signing Putz? it gives depth and with the unknown of Scheff usually suffering some sort of injury, it is smart to have depth from a guy known to be a solid receiving TE. and worst case scenario, he is cut before the season.

too many people are b****ing about McDaniels bringing in guys for depth.

it would be the same situation with Shanahan only instead of Putz it would again be Nate Jackson taking up a roster space.

why are so many down on McDaniels bringing in a bunch of guys to compete? he is doing the same thing every coach in the league does. too many are just hating on every move he can make. he addresses the RB position and people b**** we brought in scrubs, he drafts the best back in the draft and the same people b**** that he had already brought in 3 other guys. people are forgetting we went through 9 different RBs last season and in NE where he came from they were down to their 4th or 5th string back.

He addresses the secondary, a unit amongst the worst of all time in the NFL and people b**** that he ignored the front 7.

he brings in high quality guys who will make the team better and contribute, and people b**** that he didn't get the right guy(or in other words the guy that particular fan wanted)

too many are forgetting that Mike was constantly drafting bad character guys, and terrible players simply because they played positions of need, and that is why we were mediocre for almost a decade with the exception of the 2005 season.

people need to relax, drink a beer, smoke some weed, get laid or whatever, and just calm the hell down until the guy has coached a few games that are meaningful or at least coached a few practices in full pads.

this is June and we are at or near the 80 player max for the TC roster and there are going to be more signings and releases coming in the next couple months, while the roster is being worked around to be set in a way as to make the team the best it can be for this season.

I wish you the best of luck trying to teach some of these people here NFL 101.

fdf
06-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Here's the entire scenario. If Brandon is smart he will show up and collect his 2.2 Mil contract. However, this isn't to say it will be business as usual. For the fans who believe that BMarsh will give in and make the fans happy, buy into McD's offensive philosophy, and adjust to the lower caliber of the QB talents of Orton could all be in for a rude surprise.

Of course by management standing fast and not giving in to Brandon's trade demands-----management must then commit to a contract extinction or a new contract for BMarsh before the season starts or run the risk of him playing just well enough to not get injured. This will only compound the likelihood of BMarsh stats declining and no Pro bowl appearance for 09. Should McD get pissed at BMarsh and bench him, then defenses will key in on Royal and Royal stats and effectiveness suffers and he has a sophomore slump. Now the drama will really comes full circle.

I don't really think this will be a problem if Marshall behaves rationally. Your sceneario would make this next season a contract year for him. It is in his best interest to put up big numbers and to declare a one year moratorium on breaking womens' faces.

Of course, Marshall is Marshall. Reasonable behavior isn't his strong suit. So he is perfectly capable of pouting or abusing his way to a crappy year. Or, putting his hand thru another TV in an excess of youthful exuberance--yeah, that's the ticket. In which case, I'll be delighted we did not redo his contract with lots of guaranteed money.

If he can't control his playing or behavior in a contract year, he's not worth a long term contract. Let some other team blow their money.

If he mans up this next year for the Broncos and keeps his nose clean, he ought to have a nice boatful of money floating his way.

Bronx33
06-19-2009, 01:12 PM

I beg to differ ( cutler will be crapping his pants) within 5 games and so will the bears fans and you gave the reasoning in the next set of words ( he's the best thing they've fielded at that position in 50 years).

Punisher
06-19-2009, 02:37 PM
**** him and his ****ing interview i hope he dies

BearMan18
06-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Trade him and get what you can. Kyle likes to work the middle of the field with TE's and RB's.

Or can Marshall play TE, too?

BroncoMan4ever
06-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Trade him and get what you can. Kyle likes to work the middle of the field with TE's and RB's.

Or can Marshall play TE, too?

do you truly think that Orton prefers to work the middle of the field with his RB and TE because those are the routes he is comfortable with, or is it the fact that in Chicago, his RB and TE were the only reliable receiving targets?

look at him at Purdue, he ran a spread offense and had no trouble spreading the ball around to more than just his RB and TE.

point i am making, a smart QB will look to put the ball into the hands of the players he knows will catch the ball, and in Chicago that is Olsen and Forte.

BearMan18
06-19-2009, 10:56 PM
do you truly think that Orton prefers to work the middle of the field with his RB and TE because those are the routes he is comfortable with, or is it the fact that in Chicago, his RB and TE were the only reliable receiving targets?

look at him at Purdue, he ran a spread offense and had no trouble spreading the ball around to more than just his RB and TE.

point i am making, a smart QB will look to put the ball into the hands of the players he knows will catch the ball, and in Chicago that is Olsen and Forte.

That's my point...

http://sports.iwon.com/nfl/stats/league/passesdropped.html

BroncoMan4ever
06-20-2009, 01:30 AM
That's my point...

http://sports.iwon.com/nfl/stats/league/passesdropped.html

Marshall had 104 receptions, and was one of the most looked at receivers in the league. Cutler looked to him all the time, and constantly tried to unload the ball somewhere near Marshall. For as many time Cutler looked his way, 12 drops on the season is not as bad as it seems.