PDA

View Full Version : Wiegmann gets new contract

titan
06-17-2009, 11:38 AM
See:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12608207

At least one of the Broncos' Pro Bowl players will be in training camp next month.
Veteran center Casey Wiegmann (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Casey%20Wiegmann&searchTerm=Casey%20Wiegmann) agreed on Wednesday to a new two-year contract.

TonyR
06-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Oh, no! One less thing for the McD haters to hand their hats on and complain about! This of course assumes they don't find away to complain about this signing...

SonOfLe-loLang
06-17-2009, 11:39 AM
But...but......mcdoucheface hates him and wants him to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hercules Rockefeller
06-17-2009, 11:40 AM
**** you McDaniels!! Bastard.

Br0nc0Buster
See Brandon, stop acting like a douche and you will get your coin

oh but I forgot, no one wants to play for McDaniels....

BroncoBuff
GREAT NEWS!

I feel better already ... :clown:

mr007
06-17-2009, 11:41 AM
This is good news.

TonyR
Wait, I thought the plan was to run all the Pro Bowlers out of town?

montrose
Very good news. Do what your supposed to do and Papa McD will take care of you.

Br0nc0Buster
06-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Very good news. Do what your supposed to do and Papa McD will take care of you.

I heard he makes the players address him that way as well

BroncoSojia
Nice, hopefully they will take care of the other pro-bowl player on the team.

TonyR
...oh but I forgot, no one wants to play for McDaniels....

Yes, they offered him 3 years but he took 2 because he said he could only stand playing for McD for so long...

bronco_boi_5280
06-17-2009, 11:44 AM
We give this douche a contract, but not Marshall? For shame...

mr007
06-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Good god, every time something good happens to this team I can see the 45,234 messages about WOW I THOUGHT MCDOUCHE FACE wanted to destroy the team.

uplink
06-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Great.

Letting this guy go would have been one of the worst moves by
McD et al. In my opinion, so far the only really bad move is replacing M. Leach, a very effective snapper, with another guy who makes more money.

Lolad
06-17-2009, 11:47 AM
The thing about it... Why are they telling Brandon to play with his current contract? I know the off the field issues has a lot to do with it... But that can all be included in his contract.

broncofan2438
06-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Not bad...its about time something good to hear about

s0phr0syne
06-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Nice one McD! work some magic on the Marshall situation please!

kamakazi_kal
06-17-2009, 11:51 AM
See:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12608207

At least one of the Broncos' Pro Bowl players will be in training camp next month.
Veteran center Casey Wiegmann (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Casey%20Wiegmann&searchTerm=Casey%20Wiegmann) agreed on Wednesday to a new two-year contract.

Yes, we signed the guy who plans to play for one more year and let the guys with 10 years ahead of them go......

this screams of ....."pay no attention to the man behind the curtin, look at this contract..."

outdoor_miner
Great news!!! I can't wait for the haters to come in and spin this as "damage control" after the Marshall situation....

Just to preempt that line of thought... After Wiegmann initially complained on June 8, his agent came out on June 10 and said that he was working with the Broncos, and that they "felt good" about dealing with Xanders and McDaniels:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2310/Agent--Wiegmann-and-Broncos-won-t-fight.html

"No, that will not happen," agent Joe Linta said Wednesday. "We've had a very good experience with the Broncos and that will continue."

Linta said it is a tribute to both parties that they said they want to do it "the right way." Wiegmann has participated in all of Denver's offseason activities.

"This has all been above board," Linta said. "Casey is doing it the right way. He is not staying away. He is showing up and doing it the right way. I'm certain the Broncos will, in turn, do the right thing. Both Josh McDaniels (Denver's coach) and Brian Xanders (Denver's general manager) are professionals. We feel good about dealing with them."

UberBroncoMan
Wait, I thought the plan was to run all the Pro Bowlers out of town?

Only the young pro bowlers with years left in their careers.

On another note, I'm happy with this move :D!

Beantown Bronco
06-17-2009, 11:52 AM
I love all the article comments about how "Casey handled this right...why doesn't Marshall, etc..."

They conveniently ignore the fact that (aside from the obvious differences in the situations) Casey threatened to retire if he didn't get paid. He wasn't exactly silent in all this.

Spider
06-17-2009, 11:53 AM
you anti Union people should be pissed .......... Lazy ass getting that kind of coin ;D

TonyR
06-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Yes, we signed the guy who plans to play for one more year and let the guys with 10 years ahead of them go......

this screams of ....."pay no attention to the man behind the curtin, look at this contract..."

Seriously? I knew it was only a matter of time before one of you haters came up with a negative spin but I didn't expect it to be this early or this stupid. Well done!

bronco militia
06-17-2009, 11:54 AM
this is might be the only good news of this offseason

kamakazi_kal
Oh, no! One less thing for the McD haters to hand their hats on and complain about! This of course assumes they don't find away to complain about this signing...

wait .... is McD deciding who stays and who goes? cause in the Marshall thread everyone is trying to protect McD and blame Bowlen.
So he gets credit for good signings but a pass for bad/non-signings?

gyldenlove
How much did he get?

Man-Goblin
06-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Wow, people actually found a way to complain about this.

Excellent news.

barryr
06-17-2009, 11:55 AM
The McDaniel haters fell silent on this issue real quickly didn't they? Some only happy when have something to bitch about.

BroncoBuff
06-17-2009, 11:58 AM
The McDaniel haters fell silent on this issue real quickly didn't they? Some only happy when have something to b**** about.

No no ... Pat took over these sensitive player issues (thank the lord) after Josh "made rookie mistakes." (Pat's words).

JOSH's response to Casey was, "It is what it is. We'll see him at camp."

outdoor_miner
06-17-2009, 12:03 PM
No no ... Pat took over these sensitive player issues (thank the lord) after Josh "made rookie mistakes." (Pat's words).

Stretching the truth much? Read the article that I linked to on Page 1 of this thread. From Wiegmann's agent:

"This has all been above board," Linta said. "Casey is doing it the right way. He is not staying away. He is showing up and doing it the right way. I'm certain the Broncos will, in turn, do the right thing. Both Josh McDaniels (Denver's coach) and Brian Xanders (Denver's general manager) are professionals. We feel good about dealing with them."

Or is his agent lying about who he's working with?

Or maybe this from the Denver Post article linked in the first post:

"We were working to try to prevent that," coach Josh McDaniels said. "They had patience, we had patience. We tried to make sure we did this the right way. We tried to do what is in the best interest of Casey and the Denver Broncos."

Can you find a way to spin those direct quotes?

SoDak Bronco
06-17-2009, 12:04 PM
kory lichetnwhatever is not happy..damn mcdouche

OBF1
06-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Waffles

TonyR
06-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Stretching the truth much?

It is unbelievable. This good news is sure ruining some of their days.

cutthemdown
06-17-2009, 12:11 PM
good

TonyR
06-17-2009, 12:17 PM
They conveniently ignore the fact that (aside from the obvious differences in the situations) Casey threatened to retire if he didn't get paid. He wasn't exactly silent in all this.

He showed up and participated, and didn't take all his belongings home in boxes.

worm
06-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Too funny. This entire thread is littered with people instantly b****ing about the fact that 'McD haters' are going to do this or say that. Who are the whiners again?

These idiots seem more happy about the fact that they get to make a post using their canned 'jokes' rather than happy for the news itself.

Bad news will always generate comments on all sides. That is the nature of bad news. However, will there ever be a piece of good news without the thread erupting into a chorus of asinine comments from the same cast of morons, saying the same idiotic one liners?

Hope everybody enjoys the high value that they add to this forum...because they will thread crap with the same tired response over and over and over again all year as the Broncos meet with any success. The threads that should be awesome, such as this one, are even worse than the bad news ones.

People want to know how the Mane has gone downhill? Just look at this group of posters. Pathetic.

Beantown Bronco
06-17-2009, 12:24 PM
He showed up and participated, and didn't take all his belongings home in boxes.

True. Just pointing out that some are completely ignoring a big part of what did happen there.

And re: "participating". It's not like Brandon could even participate if he did show up anyway. He'd only be showing up to be poked and prodded by the same guys that very well might have cost him his future. I can certainly understand his feelings there. Better to go with the guys he trusts to do that. Tom Brady can certainly agree with that line of thinking.

BroncoBuff
06-17-2009, 12:25 PM
It is unbelievable. This good news is sure ruining some of their days.

Nonsense dude ... I'm extremely happy.

And it's Pat himself who said he'd be hands on now ... he didn't mean "hands on" the 3-4 transition.

Tombstone RJ
06-17-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm glad this deal got done it's good for both CW and the Broncos.

Br0nc0Buster
06-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Nonsense dude ... I'm extremely happy.

And it's Pat himself who said he'd be hands on now ... he didn't mean "hands on" the 3-4 transition.

I hear he gets "handsy" when he drinks

Br0nc0Buster
06-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Too funny. This entire thread is littered with people instantly b****ing about the fact that 'McD haters' are going to do this or say that. Who are the whiners again?

These idiots seem more happy about the fact that they get to make a post using their canned 'jokes' rather than happy for the news itself.

Bad news will always generate comments on all sides. That is the nature of bad news. However, will there ever be a piece of good news without the thread erupting into a chorus of asinine comments from the same cast of morons, saying the same idiotic one liners?

Hope everybody enjoys the high value that they add to this forum...because they will thread crap with the same tired response over and over and over again all year as the Broncos meet with any success. The threads that should be awesome, such as this one, are even worse than the bad news ones.

People want to know how the Mane has gone downhill? Just look at this group of posters. Pathetic.

and you are complaining in a thread supposedly "littered" with people complaining about complainers

awesome :thumbsup:

Kaylore
06-17-2009, 12:38 PM
this is might be the only good news of this offseason

Bob Slowick was fired. Even if you hate everything else, no one in their right mind can disagree that that wasn't good news.

I'm still waiting to see the McDaniels haters second guess this move too.

....Ok never mind. I just saw Kamakazi's post. I swear, if McDaniels saved a baby from a well you people would complain that he was holding it wrong when he pulled it to safety and did so out of ego.

bronco militia
06-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Bob Slowick was fired. Even if you hate everything else, no one in their right mind can disagree that that wasn't good news.

....Ok never mind. I just saw Kamakazi's post. I swear, if McDaniels saved a baby from a well you people would complain that he was holding it wrong when he pulled it to safety and did so out of ego.

I said 'might be'.... ;D

**** this offseason

Popcorn Sutton
06-17-2009, 12:42 PM

I just pictured McDaniels saving a baby from a well and it made me laugh. LOL

Hey look, he's not supporting the baby's head!!! WTF!

Popps
06-17-2009, 12:44 PM
and you are complaining in a thread supposedly "littered" with people complaining about complainers

ROFL!

listopencil
06-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Glad to see it get done.

Now trade Marshall for a real NT.

illbroncsfn
06-17-2009, 12:47 PM
good news and well deserved new contract by Casey. Wiegman has made the loss of Tom Nalen very palpable which is a tremendous credit to him and his high level of play.

worm
06-17-2009, 12:48 PM

yep...i am a ray of light in a senseless world. ;D

mr007
06-17-2009, 12:50 PM

LOL couldn't agree more.

broncofan7
06-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Smart move...Now let him trade Marshall for a 6th rounder in 2011 so he can get back on track........

HEAV
06-17-2009, 01:00 PM
"We were working to try to prevent that," coach Josh McDaniels said. "They had patience, we had patience. We tried to make sure we did this the right way. We tried to do what is in the best interest of Casey and the Denver Broncos."

"I can't say enough about the way he went through this process," McDaniels said. "We're very grateful."

Hint hint to the kids out there...

broncofan7
06-17-2009, 01:20 PM

"I can't say enough about the way he went through this process," McDaniels said. "We're very grateful."

Good point--your avatar makes me sick though........just wait until my Flyers get a goalie.......

gyldenlove
06-17-2009, 01:21 PM

Lots of patience, he didn't threaten to retire at all and clearly stated that he would have reasons not to be at training camp at all.

Smiling Assassin27
06-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Now shut up and play, Casey.

ohiobronco2
06-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Glad this is done with.

Pseudofool
06-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Funny how not holding out got him his contract.

Beantown Bronco
06-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Lots of patience, he didn't threaten to retire at all and clearly stated that he would have reasons not to be at training camp at all.

Because they didn't wait until training camp. I think it's pretty clear that he was definitely going to sit out if he didn't have a contract by then.

"It's not really going anywhere," Wiegmann said after a passing camp practice Monday. "It's kind of frustrating, especially when they want reliability. I'm probably one of the more reliable players. We'll see. They have another month and a half to get something done."

Training camp begins in a little more than a month and a half, in late July. When asked if he would consider coming to training camp without a contract extension, Wiegmann said he didn't know.

"It would be tough. It would be really tough," Wiegmann said. "A lot of things you have to discuss with your family, and my wife. There's also stuff that weighs in the back of your mind and what's going on, and if you can leave healthy in this game, it's always a good thing."

Wiegmann did not explicitly say he would retire or stay away from training camp without a contract extension, but admitted it was possible.

"There's certain things that should happen, the way I played last year," said Wiegmann, who played in his first Pro Bowl.

Pseudofool
06-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Because they didn't wait until training camp. I think it's pretty clear that he was definitely going to sit out if he didn't have a contract by then.

"It's not really going anywhere," Wiegmann said after a passing camp practice Monday. "It's kind of frustrating, especially when they want reliability. I'm probably one of the more reliable players. We'll see. They have another month and a half to get something done."

Training camp begins in a little more than a month and a half, in late July. When asked if he would consider coming to training camp without a contract extension, Wiegmann said he didn't know.

"It would be tough. It would be really tough," Wiegmann said. "A lot of things you have to discuss with your family, and my wife. There's also stuff that weighs in the back of your mind and what's going on, and if you can leave healthy in this game, it's always a good thing."

Wiegmann did not explicitly say he would retire or stay away from training camp without a contract extension, but admitted it was possible.

"There's certain things that should happen, the way I played last year," said Wiegmann, who played in his first Pro Bowl.Positioning oneself for a potential holdout and actually holding out should be distinguished, don't you think?

Popps
06-17-2009, 01:41 PM
This is a fantastic move.

Rewarding a great player who just came in and did his job like a professional.

Props to CW for showing up to camp like a man, and handling the situation like a man.

Proud to have him as a Bronco.

Beantown Bronco
06-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Positioning oneself for a potential holdout and actually holding out should be distinguished, don't you think?

Perhaps. In this case, though, I personally don't distinguish much because it's clear to me what Casey was going to do if nothing was done with his contract by the time camp came around. We'll obviously never see it play out because it didn't get that far, but I'm as sure as one can be.....

TonyR
06-17-2009, 02:18 PM
If we're comparing the Wiegmann and Marshall situations, let's keep in mind that the former is healthy and doesn't have legal issues. Otherwise the latter would very possibly have a nice, shiny new contract as well.

uplink
06-17-2009, 02:22 PM

Don't think it mattered really, they would have been nuts not to sign him
even if he held out.

Beantown Bronco
06-17-2009, 02:24 PM
If we're comparing the Wiegmann and Marshall situations, let's keep in mind that the former is healthy and doesn't have legal issues. Otherwise the latter would very possibly have a nice, shiny new contract as well.

Doesn't hurt that Casey was only looking for a 2 year deal with probably 2 or 3 million guaranteed. Had Marshall only been looking for that, regardless of the injury or legal issues, he'd have it by now as well.

Let's be clear. It was MUCH easier for the FO to deal with Casey's demands than Marshall's. If they couldn't get that chump change deal done with Casey, even the most ardent FO supporters would have to seriously question everything they accepted without question to this point.

The two situations really can't be compared like that IMO.

fdf
06-17-2009, 03:21 PM

Don't worry, it'll be for too much. Or too little. Or it took too long. Or McDaniels signature on the contract was done in a condescending manner. Or, "Weigmann is over the hill, for heaven's sake, why did we sign him?" Or we are preventing the development of the young guys. Or sure we signed him, but the way it was handled made Weigmann dispirited and he won't play well. Or, this is just McDaniels showing his ego. Or . . .

fdf
06-17-2009, 03:24 PM
The thing about it... Why are they telling Brandon to play with his current contract? I know the off the field issues has a lot to do with it... But that can all be included in his contract.

Only if Brandon is willing to include them. My strong hunch is he is not. He wants big guaranteed money. That's why there's a problem. If he didn't, reupping his contract would be easy and we wouldn't be getting all that drama from Brandon's camp.

fdf
06-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Positioning oneself for a potential holdout and actually holding out should be distinguished, don't you think?

Well, it's even a little more different than that. Weigmann would retire if he doesn't get a new contract. So he's not really positioning himself for a holdout. Retirement is not a contract violation. OTOH, BM doesn't want to retire. He wants to play somewhere else and get lots of money if he doesn't get a new contract. Holding out is a contract violation.

DBroncos4life
06-17-2009, 03:37 PM
BM should say he will just retire if he isn't given a new contract so fans won't be so upset with him. Its clear that both players didn't want to play for the Denver Broncos but only one of them went about it the right way to get more money. Go ****ing figure.

outdoor_miner
06-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Its clear that both players didn't want to play for the Denver Broncos...

What? Please elaborate...

DBroncos4life
06-17-2009, 03:58 PM
What? Please elaborate...

for the amount of money that we would have paid them.

outdoor_miner
06-17-2009, 04:05 PM
for the amount of money that we would have paid them.

Gotcha! Carry on... :)

footstepsfrom#27
06-17-2009, 04:33 PM
I love all the article comments about how "Casey handled this right...why doesn't Marshall, etc..."

True enough. Maybe Uncle Pat's listening to the fan base griping...maybe we can force him to sign Marshall now. ;D

ZONA
06-17-2009, 04:35 PM
What's up with that? I thought all the good players wanted to leave town ROFL!

footstepsfrom#27
06-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Let's be clear. It was MUCH easier for the FO to deal with Casey's demands than Marshall's. If they couldn't get that chump change deal done with Casey, even the most ardent FO supporters would have to seriously question everything they accepted without question to this point.
They probably took Boss's money.

TheReverend
06-17-2009, 05:13 PM
This is a refreshing site to see, especially amongst other current issues.

Glad to see Casey will continue to be a bronco.

GreatBronco16
06-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Too funny. Who are the whiners again?

Well from the looks of your post, it appears to be you.ROFL! Or was that just your lame attempt at a joke?LOL

GreatBronco16
06-17-2009, 05:45 PM
BM should say he will just retire if he isn't given a new contract so fans won't be so upset with him. Its clear that both players didn't want to play for the Denver Broncos but only one of them went about it the right way to get more money. Go ****ing figure.

Actually the guy that was showing up to all the meetings and OTAs etc is the guy that was wanting to play for the Denver Broncos. The very fact that he would rather retire from the Broncos than go try to get another deal with another team should tell you that he wants to be a Denver Bronco.

DBroncos4life
06-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Actually the guy that was showing up to all the meetings and OTAs etc is the guy that was wanting to play for the Denver Broncos. The very fact that he would rather retire from the Broncos than go try to get another deal with another team should tell you that he wants to be a Denver Bronco.

Only because he was going to get more money. He said himself that he didn't need to play in the NFL but if he was going to do it he needed to be paid more to do just that. All that tells me is that football doen't really matter one way or another too him. I don't blame him at all for even thinking like that. I think he would have done that or said that to any of the other NFL team.

gyldenlove
06-17-2009, 06:37 PM

How would he get a deal with another team? he was under contract. His options were not playing or playing for the Broncos. He made it quite clear that he didn't want to play for the Broncos under his current contract.

Playing for another team was never an option since he was still under contract and was not going to get cut.

cmhargrove
06-17-2009, 08:23 PM

Are you on your period?

Peace...:peace:

Anaximines
06-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Great news, although my gut says Casey doesn't have another full season in him despite his play last year

GreatBronco16
06-17-2009, 08:40 PM
How would he get a deal with another team? he was under contract. His options were not playing or playing for the Broncos. He made it quite clear that he didn't want to play for the Broncos under his current contract.

Playing for another team was never an option since he was still under contract and was not going to get cut.

That is true, but Denver could have just released him too which would have left that option open to him. Regardless, he did things the right way to get what he was asking for.

FireFly
06-18-2009, 01:10 AM
Can't help but be happy with this. 2 year deal or not though, I'd expect this to be Casey's last season.

Killericon
06-18-2009, 04:18 AM

Easily the craziest thing I've ever heard.

Beantown Bronco
06-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Retirement is not a contract violation.

Sure it is.

Cito Pelon
06-18-2009, 07:55 AM

Here comes this BS again. Woody didn't have that in quotes in the article. If those were actually Bowlen's words, then it would have been in quotes. Bowlen may have said something similar, but "made rookie mistakes" I'm positive were not Bowlen's exact words.

I hate it when people are inaccurate and try to make up a myth, something you do often, Buff. You thrive on drama, and in fact try to facilitate it constantly.

Cito Pelon
06-18-2009, 07:56 AM
How much did he get?

Something like 4.5 mil for the two years. How much was bonus I don't know.

Muddled
06-18-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm pretty sure Wiegmann can thank BM for paving the way for that deal. Good news none the less, but this reeks of needing to send a message on how to deal with contract disputes to other players

Cito Pelon
06-18-2009, 09:33 AM

Amen.