PDA

View Full Version : How much would you give up for Marshall as a Bengal?

Popps
06-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Let's say we never had him. We drafted only Royal, plus had Stoke, Gaffney, Jackson, Lloyd, new draft picks.

Marshall is a Bengal. Given his history, he'd fit in well. But, it's contract time and he wants a fat payday.

He's talented, but has 13 legal incidents in the past few years, one suspension and likely one incident of any kind away from a major suspension.

Rumors pop up that our staff is interested in making a play for him, despite his troubles.

So, given his troubles, desire for a big pay-day... how much would you give up for him?

OBF1
06-16-2009, 11:35 PM
The same amount I would give for Chad Johnson..... Not a damn thing.

Popps
06-16-2009, 11:36 PM
The same amount I would give for Chad Johnson..... Not a damn thing.

But, let's assume we had to pull the trigger. Choose an option...

OBF1
06-16-2009, 11:44 PM
I do not want to play along... If I do not like someone... there is no trade that will change my mind. A flava clown is a flava clown, Just say no.

Popps
06-16-2009, 11:48 PM
I do not want to play along... If I do not like someone... there is no trade that will change my mind. A flava clown is a flava clown, Just say no.

Did you notice the I love Poops option?

ZONA
06-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Trading for BMarsh is not the same since we already have him and can do several things, such as franchise tag him, etc...

You forgot to add coming off hip surgery. That will be on every teams mind that is thinking of making a play for him.

Popps
06-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Trading for BMarsh is not the same since we already have him and can do several things, such as franchise tag him, etc...

You forgot to add coming off hip surgery. That will be on every teams mind that is thinking of making a play for him.

That's what I said, though. The scenario here is that we never drafted him.

So, our WR corps is pretty good, but no large target like Marshall. There would probably be a lot of similarly talented squads in the league.

What would you pay for him?

FireFly
06-16-2009, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't want to trade for him.

Guy has too much baggage. Wants a big pay day and could miss playing time for any one of a half dozen reasons.

Why would we trade for him?

OBF1
06-16-2009, 11:58 PM
I wouldn't want to trade for him.

Guy has too much baggage. Wants a big pay day and could miss playing time for any one of a half dozen reasons.

Why would we trade for him?
Quoted and rep'd for truth :thumbsup:

Popps
06-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Just trying to get a read on his value.

The only objective way to judge is to know what WE would pay for him if the tables were turned.

TDmvp
06-17-2009, 12:35 AM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa68/boourns_/suckythread.jpg

TDmvp
06-17-2009, 12:36 AM
deserves 2 ...

http://webpages.charter.net/dexerion/ThisThreadSucks.gif

boltaneer
06-17-2009, 12:43 AM
It's interesting to see all the flat out NO responses in this thread but in the other threads, people want at least a 1st and a 3rd for him.

Great thread BTW, trying to see it from a non-Bronco POV.

Popps
06-17-2009, 12:45 AM
[QUOTE=TDmvp;2447659]deserves 2 ...

TD,

Why, though? Why does it suck? Just a simple question. There has been a lot of talk about what we should demand for him.

You don't think it's interesting to flip the tables and ask? It's a simple question. What sucks about it?

Popps
06-17-2009, 12:47 AM

That's all it is.

He shouldn't be worth anything more or less than what we should give up for him if the tables were turned.

I'm not even making a statement, either way. Just curious of the sentiment....

broncocalijohn
06-17-2009, 12:53 AM
But, let's assume we had to pull the trigger. Choose an option...

why would i want to pick an option if I am the owner and i dont like what the Bengals are offering. He is a risk to offer so much. Was there a 3rd round option with a possible conditional pick? That would be mine. He is a risk if he isnt already on our team.

watermock
06-17-2009, 12:59 AM
We might as well trade him for Quinn and a 5th.

Then the destruction will be complete.

Popps
06-17-2009, 01:09 AM
It's interesting to see all the flat out NO responses .

Wow, 115 views and only a few responses.

I had no idea the question was that difficult for people.

broncocalijohn
06-17-2009, 01:19 AM
put on there what i suggested and I would vote for that one. We dont like the choices or we dont like you poops. Maybe that should be the poll. :)

watermock
06-17-2009, 01:21 AM
Maybe because the poll is slanted?

Dumbass.

Popps
06-17-2009, 01:24 AM
Maybe because the poll is slanted?

Dumbass.

Mock,

Again, when you continually can't get even the most basic details of our organization correct, perhaps the "wise guy" routine isn't the right road for you.

Know what I mean? You don't even know how we acquired Javon Walker and you're calling me a dumb-ass?

It's just embarrassing to watch, dude.

As for the poll, how can a poll that pretty much allows all options be slanted?

Think he's worth a lot... there's an option. Think he's worth a little, or not much, there are options.

What's so scary?

Popps
06-17-2009, 01:26 AM
put on there what i suggested and I would vote for that one.

put on there what i suggested and I would vote for that one.

You said a 3rd and a conditional.

Wouldn't this option about cover that?

A couple of middle round picks. Maybe one this year, one next.

But, for the record, people can always "write in" their answer here. Just seems like most realistic options are covered, to me. But, I don't know. That's why I posted the poll.

We dont like the choices or we dont like you poops. Maybe that should be the poll. :)

Now... don't be silly.

No one would choose that.

OBF1
06-17-2009, 01:34 AM
The fact is... Brandon Marshall is Chad Johnson with off field issues. Chad Johnson is the essence of an idiot, why would we want to give anything for a Chad Johnson that could be getting an 8 game unpaid vacation??? Add to that Marshall has show zero personal growth with everything he has been through.

This is a real easy choice Popps, He is a guy that I would NOT want on our team comming from somewhere else. Now on the other hand I would like to get a #1 WR and a draft pick in exchange for him.... but I just do not see it happening. I hope I am wrong and we trade him to the Skins for another rape job.

watermock
06-17-2009, 01:43 AM
My bad, I guess we gave up a second?

Since we could'nt draft a WR, it seemed like a fair deal till he blew out his knee.

It ws 5 years ago. It just goes to show that WR head cases are a dime a dozen.

watermock
06-17-2009, 01:46 AM
The fact is... Brandon Marshall is Chad Johnson with off field issues. Chad Johnson is the essence of an idiot, why would we want to give anything for a Chad Johnson that could be getting an 8 game unpaid vacation??? Add to that Marshall has show zero personal growth with everything he has been through.

This is a real easy choice Popps, He is a guy that I would NOT want on our team comming from somewhere else. Now on the other hand I would like to get a #1 WR and a draft pick in exchange for him.... but I just do not see it happening. I hope I am wrong and we trade him to the Skins for another rape job.

Thank god we held onto our 2 firsts to get those QB and #1 WR's.

Ratboy
06-17-2009, 01:46 AM
It all depends. I wouldn't give up a first round pick if we were rebuilding. I wouldn't even go after him. If I was a team who needed a receiver with his playmaking ability, then yes, I would give a first round pick and maybe toss in a 3rd or a player.

It's simple. Brandon Marshall DOES not believe in his Quarterback. Kyle Orton is a scrub QB who will not be able to get Brandon Marshall 100 + catches and 1300 yards.

Killericon
06-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Hey Popps, since when is Scheffler a "marginal" player?

Broncoman13
06-17-2009, 05:21 AM
Let's say we never had him. We drafted only Royal, plus had Stoke, Gaffney, Jackson, Lloyd, new draft picks.

Marshall is a Bengal. Given his history, he'd fit in well. But, it's contract time and he wants a fat payday.

He's talented, but has 13 legal incidents in the past few years, one suspension and likely one incident of any kind away from a major suspension.

Rumors pop up that our staff is interested in making a play for him, despite his troubles.

So, given his troubles, desire for a big pay-day... how much would you give up for him?

You don't have an option for a 2nd round pick. Good way to put some perspective on this though. He is worth a 2nd round pick at best b/c of all his troubles. Bummer.

watermock
06-17-2009, 05:40 AM
No, he will be a conditional 2nd.

cutthemdown
06-17-2009, 06:54 AM
I wouldn't give up much because these prmadonna WR always do the same thing in the next city. IMO drafting WR is the way to go because once they succeed a little they turn into divas.

I would not give up a first round pick for Marshal coming off a hip surgery. It sounds very Shanny like to me and fraught with danger.

A team could trade a first for Marshal, then have him limp around all yr, or hit his women and get suspended.

I have very little love for men who hit women anyways and some people even say it was Marshalls big mouth that may have sparked the unrest that got Darrent killed.

Maybe its better we just let the apple walk before he spoils the barral.

cutthemdown
06-17-2009, 06:55 AM

He certainly is not NFL elite or someone who is among the top TE in football.

Scheffler IMO a little over rated by the Orangeman but he is a pretty darn good TE.

DenverBrit
06-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Wow, 115 views and only a few responses.

I had no idea the question was that difficult for people.

It is if you don't have a "No thanks, I'll pass" option. ;D

dbfan21
06-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Good poll/thread Popps.

I'd give up two 3rd's for him due to the legal and injury risks. If we got two 3rd's for him from a team that will likely end up drafting in the top 5, I wouldn't cry.

We could always package extra picks to climb higher and get a solid 2nd round WR, which is where we found Royal.

Beantown Bronco
06-17-2009, 07:54 AM
Just trying to get a read on his value.

The only objective way to judge is to know what WE would pay for him if the tables were turned.

Actually, this is probably the LEAST objective way to judge his worth. We are all extremely biased one way or the other here. The most objective way is to read the polls on nfl.com or espn.com or listen to the "unbiased third parties" that appear on NFL Total Access and shows like that. These guys have access to info we do not.

I've done this the past two days and what have I noticed? Both in "average joe" polls and polls among the NFL Total Access staff, Marshall is the unanimous favorite WR option when put in polls against the other available WRs like Plaxico Burress. And all seem to agree that there's a SERIOUS market for Marshall right now.

Beantown Bronco
06-17-2009, 07:55 AM
I wouldn't give up much because these prmadonna WR always do the same thing in the next city.

Tom Brady disagrees.

Popps
06-17-2009, 10:31 AM

I'm sorry, is he worth 9 first round picks or something?

The dude can't stay healthy. He's a pass-catching TE with some skills but comes with risk. To me, he's a marginal player. Just the kind of player you want to dish out in a trade if you can get something you want.

Popps
06-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Actually, this is probably the LEAST objective way to judge his worth. We are all extremely biased one way or the other here. The most objective way is to read the polls on nfl.com or espn.com.

I agree. But, it's still interesting. I think people are afraid to vote because it's public, but it already appears that a good portion of voters feel he's worth two high draft picks, including a #1.

BroncoBuff
06-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Good question ... same as Javon if Brandon's medical prognosis was for a full recovery.

broncswin
06-17-2009, 12:35 PM
It's interesting to see all the flat out NO responses in this thread but in the other threads, people want at least a 1st and a 3rd for him.

Well hell in that case I would give up two 1st and Clady:strong:

Popps
06-17-2009, 12:52 PM
You don't have an option for a 2nd round pick.

Yea, I thought about that after, but... a couple of 3rds is probably about the same value. I should have offered a single 2nd as a choice, though.

listopencil
06-17-2009, 12:54 PM
IDK- how good has Royal been w/o Marshall?

Beantown Bronco
06-17-2009, 12:59 PM

We'll find out.

To date, there's only one game to go on. It was a great one, but it was also his first game as a pro, he was being covered by a real stiff, and nobody had any film on him at that point.

listopencil
06-17-2009, 01:00 PM
We'll find out.

To date, there's only one game to go on. It was a great one, but it was also his first game as a pro, he was being covered by a real stiff, and nobody had any film on him at that point.

I mean in this hypothetical scenario.

But yeah, I was having visions of that game...

Popps
06-17-2009, 01:02 PM

I only remember the Raider game without Marshall, where Royal obviously tore it up.

Our WR corps wouldn't be bad without Marshall.

-Royal
-Stokely
-Gaffney
-Lloyd
-Jackson
-Draft picks? Etc.

But, clearly.. we're better with him. (On the field, anyway.)

We have a playmaker in Royal. But, Marshall gives us the physical WR that can create mismatches.

Then again, the Patriots have never really had a big, power receiver. Moss is more of a deep ball, finesse receiver. My guess is that Lloyd was brought in to be a poor man's Randy Moss.

So, there's no question that we're better WITH him. But, I suppose it's time we start wondering what the options would be without him. Do we go get one more physical, possession type?

Personally, if Marshall bailed... I'd love to see us make a play for Driver.
I think he's got a couple of good years left. (Price being right, of course.)

listopencil
06-17-2009, 01:14 PM
I just don't know Popps. I mean, obviously if you can get a WR like Marshall on your team you do it. The guy is a huge + on the field. The questions though is "What would you give up for him?" We just used our first overall pick on a RB. We have a very good O-Line (glad to see Casey W. under contract) in place. We have a very strong group of TE's as well. Given how crappy our D has been lately....I wouldn't want them to do it. In fact I'd love to see us trade Marshall for an impact NT.

Popps
06-17-2009, 02:59 PM
I just don't know Popps. I mean, obviously if you can get a WR like Marshall on your team you do it. The guy is a huge + on the field. .

I agree... but as you said, it's just tough to gauge at what cost.

Unlike Terrell Owens, I don't think he's a major behavior case with regards to actually playing and practicing.

But, LIKE Terrell Owens, he carries risk... perhaps even more. Owens isn't an incident away from suspension.

No question he's a major boost when he's out there. You just wonder at what point the risk/side show hurts his value.

DHallblows
06-17-2009, 05:25 PM
We have a playmaker in Royal. But, Marshall gives us the physical WR that can create mismatches.

Then again, the Patriots have never really had a big, power receiver. Moss is more of a deep ball, finesse receiver. My guess is that Lloyd was brought in to be a poor man's Randy Moss.

So, there's no question that we're better WITH him. But, I suppose it's time we start wondering what the options would be without him. Do we go get one more physical, possession type?

Personally, if Marshall bailed... I'd love to see us make a play for Driver.
I think he's got a couple of good years left. (Price being right, of course.)

The Pats never did, but they've had Brady who does more then make up for a poor WR corps.

I'm fine trading him, but as you said, we need to find another possession receiver (liked your idea actually). But if we head into this season with a few #2 WRs and some slot guys, we DAMN well better plan on turning into a running team again. Otherwise our passing attack is screwed.

Northman
06-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Right now? Probably 2 middles, one this year and one next.

Tombstone RJ
06-17-2009, 05:31 PM

Talent wise, I'd give up a first round pick for him, esp. if I was a team that is one player away from going to the SB.

But, if I was not at team poised for a ligit SB run, I dunno what I'd be willing to give up for Bmarsh.

broncogary
06-17-2009, 05:46 PM
I voted "I heart Poops."

In the last few months, he's become the most reasonable poster on the Mane.

Weird how that happens.

elsid13
06-17-2009, 06:14 PM
We'll find out.

Of the all the player that going to suffer if we trade Marshall it going to be Royal that feels the most impact. Right now Marshall see the #1 CB, the zone coverage usually rolls to Marshall side of the field and in red zone Marshall is the one that bracketed coverage. Plus he is factor in the running game. Once he is gone Royal to going to see that and more.

And Marshall isn't possession WR like some on this thread claim. Stokely is possession receiver, Marshall is player maker in mode of Andre Johnson and TO. A big receiver that punishes defenders after he catches the ball and able to make hard yards.

For this poll, Marshall is worth a late 1st and mid tier pick.