PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Brandon Marshall:

Doggcow
06-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Why did you sign the contract in the first place? If you were just going to go back on it, why bother?

Why do you need more than 2.2 million dollars? (if that TV gets any bigger you might lose your arm and not just get cut when you fall through it!)

Why isn't your word worth anything to you?

Why can't you make it through an off season without pissing off the police?

Why can't you hold onto the ball?

OBF1
06-16-2009, 10:45 PM
rep'd for truth

Taco John
06-16-2009, 10:50 PM
NFL contracts are just negotiating points. Any one of us would treat them as such if we were in these situations too. When in Rome...

SoCalBronco
06-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Why did you sign the contract in the first place? If you were just going to go back on it, why bother?

This is kind of a tired argument thats used all the time. It's kind of hypocritical. Players are routinely cut before their contracts are up. This is a business first and foremost and that goes both ways. The contract also does not mandate that you MUST play. It simply provides for limited remedies if you don't. If Brandon feels the limited remedy is something he is willing to pay, there's no problem.

Why do you need more than 2.2 million dollars? (if that TV gets any bigger you might lose your arm and not just get cut when you fall through it!)

Because the market can bear it and will pay it. This is a violent sport and its a business. The goal is maximize earnings. This isn't communism. Don't tell anyone that "this is enough". They should get WHATEVER they can get and whatever they are worth. Why don't you ask Bowlen why he needs more than X amount in revenue on a yearly basis? Whatever X is, its alot more than what Marshall wants. Just as it would be wrong to ask Bowlen not to maximize his profit, it would be also wrong to ask Marshall to forego the same. Don't romanticize this. This is a business. The fair result comes from each side protecting their interest.

There's a HUGE estoppel problem here. It is hard to do anything but laugh when the Broncos are pointing their finger at ANYONE ELSE and saying "why isnt your word worth anything to you?". It's kind of like Bob giving dating advise, except worse.

A very excellent point and Brandon REMAINS a very immature person.

Another very good point. It's a weakness in his game to be sure.

Doggcow
06-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Brandon wouldn't be taking a pay cut if he was performing like Ashlie Lelie, so why should he get a bonus? Cutting a player is not the same at all as holding out. Cutting relinquishes all rights, holding out allows the player to get the money he wants from whoever will pay it, it's not like they want to stay if they're holding out.

TheReverend
06-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Why did he sign it in the first place?

Think he could've told Mike and Ted (at the time) that he would catch 100+ balls in 2 consecutive 1250+yard seasons and go to a pro-bowl after being drafted in the 4th round to play TE/H-back?

Maybe he should've held out as a rookie to avoid signing the contract to the team that drafted his rights? That would've made things better for anyone?

TheReverend
06-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Brandon wouldn't be taking a pay cut if he was performing like Ashlie Lelie, so why should he get a bonus? Cutting a player is not the same at all as holding out. Cutting relinquishes all rights, holding out allows the player to get the money he wants from whoever will pay it, it's not like they want to stay if they're holding out.

The funny part is Ashley was on a first round rookie deal, while Brandon is on a 4th.

Financially, taking a "pay cut" to Ashley's contract would be a huge raise.

Doggcow
06-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Why did he sign it in the first place?

Think he could've told Mike and Ted (at the time) that he would catch 100+ balls in 2 consecutive 1250+yard seasons and go to a pro-bowl after being drafted in the 4th round to play TE/H-back?

Maybe he should've held out as a rookie to avoid signing the contract to the team that drafted his rights? That would've made things better for anyone?

So I should go back to BestBuy and say "No, I don't want to pay you for this TV, because I can get a better TV now! Things have changed, this isn't worth the $3000 I agreed to pay for it! The bigger better TV is!"?

I wonder how that would go over.

TheReverend
06-16-2009, 11:02 PM
So I should go back to BestBuy and say "No, I don't want to pay you for this TV, because I can get a better TV now! Things have changed, this isn't worth the $3000 I agreed to pay for it! The bigger better TV is!"?

That's the single worst analogy I've ever heard and in no way does that apply to outperforming your contract.

Seriously... I re-read it like 15 times to make sure you were serious.

Doggcow
06-16-2009, 11:04 PM
That's the single worst analogy I've ever heard and in no way does that apply to outperforming your contract.

It's still a contract. Why should you be able to go back on your contract because your a Wide Receiver in the NFL? Same reason you can run over a dude and only get 30 days!

summerdenver
06-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Brandon wouldn't be taking a pay cut if he was performing like Ashlie Lelie, so why should he get a bonus?
He is already being paid like a Ashley level receiver. If he were paid like top caliber receiver and is not producing, broncos would nt oconinue to pay him the contract money just because they agreed to the contract. They will either renogiate (Gerard Warren) or cut the player(Price).

Cutting a player is not the same at all as holding out. Cutting relinquishes all rights, holding out allows the player to get the money he wants from whoever will pay it, it's not like they want to stay if they're holding out.

Think about the case where a player gets hurt like Al. Teams don't fullfil their contract just because they agreed to it, they just cut you and your career is over. If Torrain does not recover in time, do you think Broncos will fullfill his contract? they will simply cut him. Every player has to look after himself and it is silly to grudge it.

TheReverend
06-16-2009, 11:08 PM
It's still a contract. Why should you be able to go back on your contract because your a Wide Receiver in the NFL? Same reason you can run over a dude and only get 30 days!

Did your TV outperform your expectations and now Best Buy wants more money from?

Because, then we can start applying that to this situation.

Personally, what I'm getting from this thread is you're upset about over-paying for a TV and are upset at Brandon for breaking a nicer one than yours?

summerdenver

I think you should go back read Socal's reply above - because in case of nfl, the contract is not binding on both parties.

bronco_boi_5280
Doggcow is pure silliness.

footstepsfrom#27
06-16-2009, 11:10 PM

You really don't understand how pro sports contracts work, and why it's not "the real world".

NFL players get paid millions and amazing perks because they 1) make their teams money and 2) may not be able to walk at 45

BTW...his contract pays him $500K...he's only making $2.2 million because he made the pro bowl incentives...still about 1/4 of his market value this season...around 10% of his value the last two seasons.

watermock
06-16-2009, 11:11 PM

I'd laugh. Only a moron would pay 3,000 for a TV.

Doggcow
06-16-2009, 11:12 PM
You really don't understand how pro sports contracts work, and why it's not "the real world".

NFL players get paid millions and amazing perks because they 1) make their teams money and 2) may not be able to walk at 45

BTW...his contract pays him $500K...he's only making $2.2 million because he made the pro bowl incentives...still about 1/4 of his market value this season...around 10% of his value the last two seasons.

So why didn't he just sign a 1 year contract? He still put his name, his word, his reputation on that dotted line, no one put a gun to his head to do it.

SoCalBronco
06-16-2009, 11:14 PM

Believe it or not, Best Buy is not like the NFL. At all.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs102.snc1/4559_91534794267_705494267_1783831_4176070_n.jpg

GreatBronco16
06-16-2009, 11:14 PM
True, but if the team cuts the player before his contract is up, 'most' of the time there is still the guaranteed money that the team has to pay if it hasn't been paid already.

footstepsfrom#27
06-16-2009, 11:15 PM
So why didn't he just sign a 1 year contract? He still put his name, his word, his reputation on that dotted line, no one put a gun to his head to do it.
Like I said, you don't understand how pro sports contracts work.

footstepsfrom#27
06-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Believe it or not, Best Buy is not like the NFL. At all.
Do tell! But...he bought a TV! :spit:

SoCalBronco
06-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Do tell! But...he bought a TV! :spit:

;D

Doggcow
06-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Why the **** would I buy a TV from best buy? And why is that such a big deal, it was an analogy.

yerner
06-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Maybe the guy just doesn't feel like living in Denver anymore? It doesn't make him a horrible person.

Bigdawg26
06-17-2009, 12:02 AM
It was a fourth round rookie contract. I'm sure he would not ask for 3 mil a year being a fourth round pick. There is no way a long snapper should be making more than a Pro Bowl receiver.

This is a business, and I'm sure and you can mark my word on this he will not have as good of a season with Orton (a B- back-up QB) throwing him the ball and in 4 WR set with a new offensive scheme than he would with Culter (gun slanging who has talent) throwing him the ball. Which means a lower contract next season and the Broncos front office knows that.

For the same reason Mcdummy word is mud. This is a business and things change.

That's a good point. I can't defend that. He just needs to sit down somewhere, take some anger management, and stop hitting women. Dude your 6-4 230 your a huge guy. There is no reason you should be hitting a women.
Because he a big WR that tries to extend the play and not go down easy like a Reggie Wayne. Part of the reason he was one of the top wide outs in yards after the catch. You gotta take the good with the bad.

<!-- / message -->

Los Broncos
06-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Because he a big WR that tries to extend the play and not go down easy like a Reggie Wayne. Part of the reason he was one of the top wide outs in yards after the catch. You gotta take the good with the bad.

This is what I've been saying all along, he risks injury just about every time he catches the ball and doesn't go down when he should.

Killericon
06-17-2009, 02:44 AM
I would've given him a new contract, but whatever. This would've made me really upset usually, but losing Shanahan AND Cutler...This seems simply fitting.

Maybe we can get someone like Tommie Harris for him.

watermock
06-17-2009, 03:11 AM
I would've given him a new contract, but whatever. This would've made me really upset usually, but losing Shanahan AND Cutler...This seems simply fitting.

Maybe we can get someone like Tommie Harris for him.

We might get a conditional second.

WR's vastly overrate their value.

Harris? Maybe if we still had our #1 in '10.

Killericon
06-17-2009, 03:33 AM
What about Julius Peppers? I'd do that trade if I were the Panthers.

SleepingTiger
06-17-2009, 03:47 AM
We might get a conditional second.

WR's vastly overrate their value.

Harris? Maybe if we still had our #1 in '10.

if the lions can get a 1st and a 3rd for Roy. We should get a minimum 1st with BM. Bowlen is an idiot if he only gets a 2nd for BM.

SleepingTiger
06-17-2009, 03:49 AM
What about Julius Peppers? I'd do that trade if I were the Panthers.

you're kiddin right? a worn down DE for a top 3 WR in the league? Maybe Julius and a 1st sounds more like it.

ghwk
06-17-2009, 09:36 AM

Oh surely there must be worse somewhere, googling however has failed to find anything.

ghwk
06-17-2009, 09:38 AM
He is already being paid like a Ashley level receiver. If he were paid like top caliber receiver and is not producing, broncos would nt oconinue to pay him the contract money just because they agreed to the contract. They will either renogiate (Gerard Warren) or cut the player(Price).

Think about the case where a player gets hurt like Al. Teams don't fullfil their contract just because they agreed to it, they just cut you and your career is over. If Torrain does not recover in time, do you think Broncos will fullfill his contract? they will simply cut him. Every player has to look after himself and it is silly to grudge it.

They cut him but what did they pay him?

BroncoBuff
06-17-2009, 10:26 AM

Can't see a single one of those questions to be reasonable.

Why does he need more that $2.2 million? When it comes to money, too much is never enough, lus there's the pride that goes with being paid what you're worth, being paid fair market value.

He kept his mouth shut while he spectacularly outplayed his rookie contract, and now going into the final year he wants a long-term deal at fair market value. That's standard operating procedure in the NFL ... can't fault him. With the hip injury, he's probably feeling a cold shot of potential NFL mortality, and he realizes a real deal would set him up for life after football.

Martshall's demand for a new deal is very reasonable, as long as the team is protected against the hip, the trial in August, and future legal issues.

TailgateNut
06-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Can't see a single one of those questions to be reasonable.

HUH?

How about: How do you feel for starting the argument which led to DWill's death?
Who the **** are you to call out the fans?
Why do you lie when opening your mouth?
Do you think we believe your BS stories/ accounts /excuses?
Is your mangina bruised?
Would you accept a contract with clauses which negate the contract if you have hip problems, legal problems, and/or face league suspension for any of your antics?

Broncoman13
06-17-2009, 10:56 AM

Why did Pat Bowlen agree to sign the paychecks for Boss Bailey and the allow the team to cut him in the middle of his contract?

Good question! Why do any of the players need more than $2m? I think they should all be capped at $2m with the bottom feeders making $250k. $250k is more than 98% of Americans make. $2m more than 99.5% of Americans. That would allow tickets to go back down to a reasonable price. I could take the entire family to watch a game for $100 (which is a chunk of change for me still) rather than the $500 it would cost right now... and that's not including any type of merchandise the kids may want! You've got a great point here!!!

Can you ask this same question to McD. "We will not trade Jay Cutler, Jay Cutler is our QB...", yadayadayada.

Another good question!!! In fact the first one that you've asked that actually deserves a real answer from BMarsh. I think our buddy Mediator12 is right on with BMarsh, he's always going to be that way. 'Fred touched on it yesterday as well, sometimes it takes a few years to realize that playing in Professional Sports is a blessing. He said that when he was with the Bengals he didn't deserve to be an NFL Player, but he made a lot of changes in his life and went about his business the right way when he came to Denver. Hopefully BMarsh can do the same thing and that may be why he is seeking a change of scenery. I think he can do it here still, but there are obviously some behind the scenes things we aren't aware of.

The ball hates him of course. ;D Actually, I think his style of play has a lot to do with it. Last year when he fumbled against the Chiefs in the first game it became pretty obvious that Shanny had a discussion with him that resulted in BMarsh changing his game quite a bit. Less fumbles, but less challenging for yards after the catch as well.

Some good questions...

DBroncos4life
06-17-2009, 11:31 AM
how did this butt****ing dump of a thread get to two pages. :spit:

gyldenlove
06-17-2009, 11:33 AM
HUH?

How about: How do you feel for starting the argument which led to DWill's death?
Who the **** are you to call out the fans?
Why do you lie when opening your mouth?
Do you think we believe your BS stories/ accounts /excuses?
Is your mangina bruised?
Would you accept a contract with clauses which negate the contract if you have hip problems, legal problems, and/or face league suspension for any of your antics?

It is a good thing you are staying so rational and not letting your feelings affect your ability to think clearly...

WABronco
06-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Why are you kids so pist...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-17-2009, 11:49 AM
"What the **** is wrong with you?"

"What the **** is your problem?"

Those are my questions.