PDA

View Full Version : PFT RUMOR: Brandon Marshall to the Browns?

Gcver2ver3
06-16-2009, 07:23 PM
This is from PFT so take it for what it's worth...it's a long month and a half to TC anyway, so i may as well post this...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Mike Florio on June 16, 2009, 10:09 p.m. EDT

The rumor mill continues to churn regarding potential destinations for Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall.

Last night, we heard that the Ravens might be interested. Tonight, we’re hearing rumblings of Brandon possibly being traded to the Browns.

The package would include, per the rumor, Browns kick returner/receiver Josh Cribbs and one or more draft picks.

Such a move also would likely put Braylon Edwards in play for a trade elsewhere.

Maybe, in the end, to Baltimore?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/16/brandon-to-the-browns/

McDman
06-16-2009, 07:30 PM
I'd rather have Braylon, at least we'd have #1 receiver talent, that is if he can learn to catch.

I'd be happy to give up Marshall for Edwards and a fourth?

Ratboy
06-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Well, if we're giving up Brandon Marshall, we might as well go for Braylon Edwards and a draft pick.

Gcver2ver3
06-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Well, if we're giving up Brandon Marshall, we might as well go for Braylon Edwards and a draft pick.

i'd prefer Cribbs and a 1st rounder...

i'm not interested in trading malcontents...

although last i heard, Cribbs wanted a new contract...

HILife
06-16-2009, 07:33 PM
I'd rather have Braylon, at least we'd have #1 receiver talent, that is if he can learn to catch.

Not really. I'd rather have Marshall. He has a shorter career with better numbers.

Ray Finkle
06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
If it was Cribbs and a 1st, I would do it....

Edwards is Marshall without the play making ability....

SoDak Bronco
06-16-2009, 07:37 PM
so we get another WR that wants a new contract? Great!! (Cribs)

HEAV
06-16-2009, 07:39 PM
If he does get moved it will be best to move him to the NFC. Giants,Eagles,Rams...maybe Cards.

Br0nc0Buster
06-16-2009, 07:40 PM
no way he gets traded

unlike Cutler, we would not get adequate compensation

SoDak Bronco
06-16-2009, 07:41 PM
We won't trade #15, take it to the bank...

Gcver2ver3
06-16-2009, 07:48 PM

i hope you're right...

McDman
06-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Not really. I'd rather have Marshall. He has a shorter career with better numbers.

I was just talking about the trade.

I'd definitely rather have Marshall.

NFLBRONCO
06-16-2009, 08:10 PM
no way he gets traded

unlike Cutler, we would not get adequate compensation

I agree about return but, the NO WAY he gets traded is really a reach.

Lolad
06-16-2009, 08:30 PM
I thought Cutler was here to stay even after he asked to be traded. It's up in the air.

Rabb
06-16-2009, 08:31 PM
I thought Cutler was here to stay even after he asked to be traded. It's up in the air.

exactly, I don't have a doubt Brandon is gone

telluride
06-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Fascinating stat from Big Bill Williamson's latest blog post:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2345/Denver-has-relied-on-Marshall.html

Basically, Brandon gets fat against weak competition. Put him in a big game, against a good opponent, and he folds. I'd prefer he remain on the team, but if he does not I think this suggest that no one should panic.

tsiguy96
06-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Fascinating stat from Big Bill Williamson's latest blog post:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2345/Denver-has-relied-on-Marshall.html

Basically, Brandon gets fat against weak competition. Put him in a big game, against a good opponent, and he folds. I'd prefer he remain on the team, but if he does not I think this suggest that no one should panic.

you know, this is the 2nd year in a row weve seen this stat. however even against good opponents, 50 yards a game = 800 yps. not bad. besides i think you would find similar stats for many receivers.

BroncoMan4ever
06-16-2009, 08:53 PM

i'd rather see something like Marshall and a 5th for Edwards and Rodgers

gives us a return on a talented receiver, and addresses a need at the NT position

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Am I the only one that develops stomach ulcers from reading the comments on ESPN.com? Who are these morons?

ColoradoDarin
06-16-2009, 09:23 PM
you know, this is the 2nd year in a row weve seen this stat. however even against good opponents, 50 yards a game = 800 yps. not bad. besides i think you would find similar stats for many receivers.

50 ypg? heck, I'd pay 2.2 million per season for that kind of production....

ColoradoDarin
06-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Am I the only one that develops stomach ulcers from reading the comments on ESPN.com? Who are these morons?

I can barely stand reading the articles on E!spn nevermind the comments.

PRBronco
06-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Cribbs and someone over 300 lbs and we'll talk :)

Apparently Cribbs is a super good lockerroom guy too.

footstepsfrom#27
06-16-2009, 09:36 PM
The package would include, per the rumor, Browns kick returner/receiver Josh Cribbs and one or more draft picks.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/16/brandon-to-the-browns/
Eh...that would be the same Josh Cribbs that is:

1) seeking a new congtract
2) skipped the teams May minicamp in a holdout dispute
3) was publicly accused of lying by Browns owner Randy Lerner
3) had his agent cite cell phone records that Lerner is lying.
4) Doesn't like Belicheat seed Eric Mangini

So obviously this is a match made in heaven. :rofl:

NFLBRONCO
06-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Where do babies sleep in a cribb aren't we trying to rid our team of crybabies.

Gcver2ver3
06-16-2009, 09:48 PM

gives us a return on a talented receiver, and addresses a need at the NT position

yeah that aint gonna happen...

TheReverend
06-16-2009, 10:01 PM

Was point #3 not strong enough so you had to bring in a second #3?

boltaneer
06-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Trading Marshall for a kick returner would make my off season!

Don't let me down, McDaniels!

Popps
06-16-2009, 10:08 PM

WOW, dude... that would be incredible, but I can't imagine we get anything near that.

BroncoMan4ever
06-16-2009, 10:15 PM
yeah that aint gonna happen...

exactly, that's why i think we should just keep him. we aren't going to get fair compensation for his talents.

BroncoMan4ever
06-16-2009, 10:18 PM
WOW, dude... that would be incredible, but I can't imagine we get anything near that.

don't be so sure. Marshall alone is worth Edwards and a mid round pick in terms of talent, and add in that Rodgers does not like the current coaches and would like to play elsewhere, so we toss in a mid round draft pick to get us Rodgers. rids both teams of possible headaches.

but the likelihood of a deal like that happening is all but impossible, so because of that, i say just keep Marshall.

BroncoBuff
06-16-2009, 10:23 PM

Dare to dream ....

I love Brandon and I hope we keep him, but this deal would be too much to pass up.

BroncoBuff
06-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Edwards and a 3rd-round pick.

Cribbs is amazing, but we're loaded with return guys now.

SureShot
06-16-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm not sold on Edwards. Sure he had a great season two years ago but I would much rather trade for Dline.

ZONA
06-16-2009, 10:27 PM
If the Broncos were smart, they would not take anything less then a 1st round pick and a player. If we can't get that, do the same things the Cards did, just keep him. Offer him more money in a short term contract so he's getting paid a decent salary for somebody with his talent and productivity, he's owed at least that. If we can't trade him and offer him like 12M guaranteed over 2 years, he won't sit out. He'll take that 12M to the bank. Watch.

For real, it's a 1st rounder or we keep him. You don't come across big talented WR's like that very often. Sure he has off the field issues and I'm sick of them also, but I would not just gift wrap him up for beans in return.

boltaneer
06-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Doesn't Edwards want $10 mil/season?

I haven't heard Marshall's wants but I imagine he feels like he's an elite receiver as well and wants something similar to that kind of jack.

Edwards isn't a diva and Marshall is a head case and more. Why would the Browns make that trade?

But I still say the Broncos would be smart not to trade him unless some team is stupid enough to pony up a deal they can't turn down. But with all these reports leaking out about a possible trade, it just points to how weak the Bronco's ownership/management has become.

Bigdawg26
06-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Don't let me down, McDaniels!

He hasn't let me down yet. Man this offseason is one sh!t show. There hasn't been an offseason I can remember that was this messed up.

ZONA
06-16-2009, 11:16 PM

I haven't heard Marshall's wants but I imagine he feels like he's an elite receiver as well and wants something similar to that kind of jack.

Edwards isn't a diva and Marshall is a head case and more. Why would the Browns make that trade?

But I still say the Broncos would be smart not to trade him unless some team is stupid enough to pony up a deal they can't turn down. But with all these reports leaking out about a possible trade, it just points to how weak the Bronco's ownership/management has become.

You can't stop rumors. Anybody can make stuff up. That's not on the Broncos front office. You should know that.

boltaneer
06-16-2009, 11:28 PM
You can't stop rumors. Anybody can make stuff up. That's not on the Broncos front office. You should know that.

This is true.

But it just seems coincidental that Marshall and his agent are going about this similar to what Cutler and Bus Cook did. It seems like they think this tactic will work again.

Your owner better stand firm on this one.

NFLBRONCO
06-16-2009, 11:39 PM
This is true.

But it just seems coincidental that Marshall and his agent are going about this similar to what Cutler and Bus Cook did. It seems like they think this tactic will work again.

Your owner better stand firm on this one.

I respectfully disagree until it happens with a non diva emo player that this will be a common tactic with many of our players.

Drek
06-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Trade him for a 1st and whatever else we can get and then flip that #1 for Boldin. He's been unhappy with his contract yet he still shows up and crushes against elite competition. Plus he's a monster after the catch, which plays in very well with the offense we'll be going to.

cousinal11
06-17-2009, 05:02 AM
Pro bowlers Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall for Kyle Orton, a kick returner and draft picks which we in turn trade for lower draft picks.

Makes sense.

Popcorn Sutton
06-17-2009, 05:53 AM

Not sure where you come up with something like this but that trade would NEVER happen. Although Rogers was traded for Leigh Bodden and a Draft Pick last season he is now worth far more to the Browns. Edwards is one year removed from a sick pro bowl season where he scored 16 times. He had a bad year last year but so did the entire Browns offense. Edwards would be a stud in the right offense. Marshall hasn't even sniffed a season like Edwards had the year before last. Even last year during a completely dismal year Edwards only had 300 yards less receiving and 3 TD's less than Marshall. If you consider the state of the two offenses (especially the offensive lines) then Edwards was playing with a HUGE handicap. The problem with including him in any trade is the contract issues. He like most wide receivers in this league wants a new contract. Go figure.

Popcorn Sutton
06-17-2009, 05:57 AM

I think you are getting ahead of yourself. There are reports that say two completely different things. Do we believe the "See you in camp" reports or "The Broncos will try to accomodate your request" report?

On the flip side, I think it's more a sign of the Broncos ownership/management standing firm on not signing Marshall to a big time contract until he proves he can stay out of trouble and keep his arm out of a TV set.

chrisp
06-17-2009, 05:57 AM

Absolutley - you woudl expect ALL players to have inferior stats against the stronger teams - that's what makes them the stronger teams....

50 yards recieving against the Pittsbugh defense is probably the equivalent to 150 against ours last year...(sob..)

meangene
06-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Trade him for a 1st and whatever else we can get and then flip that #1 for Boldin. He's been unhappy with his contract yet he still shows up and crushes against elite competition. Plus he's a monster after the catch, which plays in very well with the offense we'll be going to.

Agreed. We need to turn the Marshall trade into a quality wide receiver somehow. If we could could do that and get Cribbs, I would be ecstatic.

Beantown Bronco
06-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Seeing as how any team trying to sign him away in 2010 would have to give the Broncos a first and a third rounder, I see no reason to give him up for any less than that now, considering the new team would reap the benefits of his services one season earlier.

gyldenlove
06-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Why do people want to replace one WR who wants 10 million with another? it doesn't make sense.

If you want to give a WR 10 million, why not make it a guy who already plays here?

DenverBrit
06-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Why do people want to replace one WR who wants 10 million with another? it doesn't make sense.

If you want to give a WR 10 million, why not make it a guy who already plays here?

Injuries.
Arrests
Suspensions

MileHighMagic
06-17-2009, 06:52 AM
I absolutely love Josh Cribbs! The guy is one of the most underrated players in this league. A lot of people don't realize that he makes a ton of tackles and forces fumbles on ST's, on top of the Hester-like, game changing kick/punt returns. He is an excellent football player.

Go watch the tape of our game last year - he was killing us when he touched the ball. For some odd reason they stopped calling his number, which was the reason I felt we were able to comeback.

Drek brought up the scenario of flipping a 1st rounder to get Boldin... If we got both of those guys, this miserable offseason would be a lot more bearable.

Cito Pelon
06-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Seeing as how any team trying to sign him away in 2010 would have to give the Broncos a first and a third rounder, I see no reason to give him up for any less than that now, considering the new team would reap the benefits of his services one season earlier.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but Marshall is only a RFA in 2010 if there is not a new CBA, ie, it is an uncapped year.

If a new CBA is brought in on the same terms as the expiring one - a cap is in place again, then Marshall is possibly a UFA.

It's all very complicated, then factor in the guy had a chronic bad hip, something he had since college then worsened to the point he needed surgery.

So it's gonna be a tough decision for the FO to make. Cribbs and a 3rd would work ok with me. Cribbs is one of the elite returners in the league.

Edwards I'm not so hot on. Inconsistent.

Marshall is a good WR, but now might be a good time to trade him.

MOCRUSH
06-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Edwards and a 3rd-round pick.

Cribbs is amazing, but we're loaded with return guys now.

Yeah, but just think if we had more return guys, more running backs and....MORE COWBELL!

ohiobronco2
06-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Cribbs is a great player and person. People who compare him to Marshall have no idea what they are talking about. He would really help us in the return game. Marshall, while a top notch WR talent, is a headcase. Cribbs was promised a new contract by the previous staff and didn't deliver. Now Mangina is trying to play hardball with a player who has done just about everything for that franchise. Cribbs and a first would be a solid deal.

Beantown Bronco
06-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but Marshall is only a RFA in 2010 if there is not a new CBA, ie, it is an uncapped year.

If a new CBA is brought in on the same terms as the expiring one - a cap is in place again, then Marshall is possibly a UFA.

You are correct on both counts. I'm assuming scenario #2 won't come into play. Right now, all the pundits are conceding that there's only about a 1% chance a new CBA will be reached in time.

It's all very complicated, then factor in the guy had a chronic bad hip, something he had since college then worsened to the point he needed surgery.

So it's gonna be a tough decision for the FO to make. Cribbs and a 3rd would work ok with me. Cribbs is one of the elite returners in the league.

Edwards I'm not so hot on. Inconsistent.

Marshall is a good WR, but now might be a good time to trade him.

Obviously, the injury will have to heal and he'll have to be able to pass a physical in the next month or so, otherwise nobody will trade for him. But if he does pass that physical, I see no reason for settling for anything less than what I mentioned above. The Broncos would be giving up a very talented WR that would be motivated by the infamous "contract year" the players seem to love and thrive under so much (I don't believe for a second that he'd tank this season out of anger - $ obviously motivates this guy and no better way to do it than to showcase your talents in a contract year). Some team would have to dazzle me to get me to pull the trigger on a move this offseason.

DarkHorse
06-17-2009, 07:23 AM

Believe it or not - this is all Browns rhetoric.

Cribbs is a good guy, just looking to get paid after being told that he would only to have another Belicheck asshole step in and deny him.

Cribbs has been productive, is deserving, no off field issues, great locker room guy and is a genuine threat as a returner.

Great find on what the Browns claim. Now, either move here and know what is going on or search a forum that caters to the Browns and see how the actual fans are reacting to Cribbs' treatment.

BroncoBen
06-17-2009, 07:26 AM
On the flip side, I think it's more a sign of the Broncos ownership/management standing firm on not signing Marshall to a big time contract until he proves he can stay out of trouble and keep his arm out of a TV set.

Don’t forget Brandon also had hip surgery that he is rehabbing. And any contract extensions would require that hip being checked out by the Bronco doctors. These being the same doctors that Brandon says ‘mis-diagnosed’ him to begin with. Thus he had to have the surgery.

Ramathorn
06-17-2009, 08:51 AM
if we must, Cribbs and a 1st would be good. I really would just rather keep brandon. pay the man dammit!!

boltaneer
06-17-2009, 09:22 AM
I think you are getting ahead of yourself. There are reports that say two completely different things. Do we believe the "See you in camp" reports or "The Broncos will try to accomodate your request" report?

I've said all along that from a Bronco POV, they should not trade him nor give him a new contract so I agree with you.

The rumors floating around are probably just rumors but it's fun to see everyone here get all worked up over it. ;)

goldengopher1976
06-17-2009, 09:30 AM

You know...there are a lot of banks that aren't doing that well right now. :~ohyah!:

goldengopher1976
06-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Believe it or not - this is all Browns rhetoric.

Cribbs is a good guy, just looking to get paid after being told that he would only to have another Belicheck a-hole step in and deny him.

Cribbs has been productive, is deserving, no off field issues, great locker room guy and is a genuine threat as a returner.

Great find on what the Browns claim. Now, either move here and know what is going on or search a forum that caters to the Browns and see how the actual fans are reacting to Cribbs' treatment.

What I've read confirms this:

Cribbs is a great guy and a great locker-room presence. He is loved by teammates and this situation is causing the Brown's FO to lose face. I suppose there's always two sides to every story, but we could do a lot worse than to bring Cribbs in here.