PDA

View Full Version : Stallworth Gets 30 Days for Killing a Dude

rugbythug
06-16-2009, 09:51 AM
In His car. I wish I was Rich.

"Finally Big Earn Is above the Law!"

In 1973 a Drunk Driver killed my Grandma. Second person he had killed. He did no time.

tsiguy96
06-16-2009, 10:19 AM
and vick got 19 months for killing dogs. what a joke.

Orange Blood
06-16-2009, 10:21 AM
99% of the people in this forum (Pat Bowlen would have gotten off) would have gotten several years. It's nice to be reminded everyday that we live in a world with them (The Club) and us (peasants).

BroncoMan4ever
06-16-2009, 10:26 AM

and OJ sliced and diced 2 people and did no time.

justice system in this country is ****ed.

bronco610
06-16-2009, 10:37 AM
I live in texas, bob lives in texas. I drink, maybe I could run over bob!!! Would you guy's bail me out? Do you think I could get off with just 30 days?
HMMMMM, I wonder.

Raidersbane
06-16-2009, 10:40 AM
I live in texas, bob lives in texas. I drink, maybe I could run over bob!!! Would you guy's bail me out? Do you think I could get off with just 30 days?
HMMMMM, I wonder.

You probably would have had you not posted this.......

bronco610
06-16-2009, 11:11 AM
You probably would have had you not posted this.......

Doh !!!

supermanhr9
06-16-2009, 11:13 AM
wow,,,, that's all I can say.

Rohirrim
06-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Should have posted a link. The story is that Stallworth came to a financial settlement with the family first, and they signed off on the punishment. Since they are the injured party...

Garcia Bronco
06-16-2009, 11:17 AM

He got 19 months for violating interstate commerce law. Not for killing dogs. But your point still stands.

Garcia Bronco
06-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Should have posted a link. The story is that Stallworth came to a financial settlement with the family first, and they signed off on the punishment. Since they are the injured party...

Wouldn't happen in a Commonwealth.

vancejohnson82
06-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Stallworth, a 2nd round pick and Rogers for Marshall

Jason in LA
06-16-2009, 11:46 AM
I was interested in this case, and I'm not surprised by this agreement. It looked like Stallworth had a good case. His lawyers were going to claim that the guy was j walking, so in theory, even if Stallworth wasn't drinking, he could have still hit the guy. They were going to claim that the guy was at fault, or at least partially at fault, and that may have gotten him off. So it seems like the prosecutors gave him that deal to avoid a potential loss, and Stallworth took it to avoid a potential 4-14 year prison sentence. So it's not hard to see him getting only 30 days. If he had went forward with the case he had a chance to get off and not do any jail time.

Garcia Bronco
06-16-2009, 11:52 AM
I was interested in this case, and I'm not surprised by this agreement. It looked like Stallworth had a good case. His lawyers were going to claim that the guy was j walking, so in theory, even if Stallworth wasn't drinking, he could have still hit the guy. They were going to claim that the guy was at fault, or at least partially at fault, and that may have gotten him off. So it seems like the prosecutors gave him that deal to avoid a potential loss, and Stallworth took it to avoid a potential 4-14 year prison sentence. So it's not hard to see him getting only 30 days. If he had went forward with the case he had a chance to get off and not do any jail time.

Except Stalworth clearly saw him and said he flashed his lights at the guy he killed. He should be in jail chipping rocks with other rocks.

rugbythug
06-16-2009, 11:58 AM

Sorry But Drunk guys are not the most credible witnesses.

That said I sat on a Murder Jury. People are pretty stupid and loath to actually make decisions.

GoHAM
06-16-2009, 12:06 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&prov=ap&type=lgns

His sentence isn't actually as weak as it sounds. He also has 2 years of house arrest and a lifetime driver's license suspension.

It's still pretty pathetic. If Stallworth had been hit and killed by the Crane Operator, I guarantee the Crane Operator would have got 10+ yrs.

no-pseudo-fan
06-16-2009, 12:15 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&prov=ap&type=lgns

His sentence isn't actually as weak as it sounds. He also has 2 years of house arrest and a lifetime driver's license suspension.

It's still pretty pathetic. If Stallworth had been hit and killed by the Crane Operator, I guarantee the Crane Operator would have got 10+ yrs.

I disagree. If Stallworth would have been hit and killed by a drunk immigrant Crane Operater he would have gotten the electric chair.

cutthemdown
06-16-2009, 12:22 PM

It has to do with intent. Vick was intentionally killing dogs for profit over a long period. Willfully realizing what his actions caused.

In the other case it negligent actions on a given night leading to a DUI that kills someone.

I see your point but also see how the law looks at intentional and negligent a little different.

Still if some DUI killed someone I loved and got 30 days, he would probably be seeing me at some point. Not sure I could live with that, so I totally see where you are coming from.

cutthemdown
06-16-2009, 12:23 PM

yeah but the house arrest is really long. What is up with that? did I read that right?

does that mean he can't leave house for that long?

broncsyanks
06-16-2009, 12:24 PM
agree vick got 19 months for killing animals 4 months home arrest bankrupt and might not get his career back. stallworth gets 30 days for killing a human BEING!! freakin retarded.

no-pseudo-fan
06-16-2009, 12:26 PM
It has to do with intent. Vick was intentionally killing dogs for profit over a long period. Willfully realizing what his actions caused.

In the other case it negligent actions on a given night leading to a DUI that kills someone.

I see your point but also see how the law looks at intentional and negligent a little different.

Still if some DUI killed someone I loved and got 30 days, he would probably be seeing me at some point. Not sure I could live with that, so I totally see where you are coming from.

PETA intentionally kills thousands of dogs. The issue with Vick is that he gave a face to an offense that usually gets little more than a slap on the wrist. Stallworth would be dead if he killed someone I love.

Mountain Bronco
06-16-2009, 12:35 PM
First you are all correct that the penalty for Stallworth was weak. However, it isn't that uncommon even for the non-wealthy. There was a recent article in the Denver Post about a drunk driver killing his second person, while out on probation for killing his first. I think he only served 6 months on the first sentence. Now he is in for life.

It is sad that we allow anyone to ever drive again after their second DUI (I am all about two chances, but no more).

broncosteven
I heard he got a Plea agreement and insisted on doing the 30 days in jail. In addition to a 10 year probation.

From what I understood part of the plea (I am no lawyer) was that he came to a Settlement with the family to prevent a Civil suit being filed by the family later.

ESPN had Lester Munson on and he said it was really a good deal for the family and Stallworth. Apparently Stallworth had a lot of remorse and wanted to wrap this all up quickly for all parties.

He could have dragged it out and spent the $ on a good trial lawyer team and may have ended up getting off or really screwing the family by forcing them to spend $ on their own legal council.

I think this was our system at it's best.

I am more interested in what the league does to him now.

gyldenlove
Just to clear up, Vick was nailed for illegal gambling on dog fights, not killing dogs. It had nothing to do with killing dogs, that just makes him a bad person.

30 days for killing someone due to gross negligence. If Plaxico gets 4 years for shooting himself, it will show just completely f'ed the justice system is.

Jason in LA
06-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Except Stalworth clearly saw him and said he flashed his lights at the guy he killed. He should be in jail chipping rocks with other rocks.

First let me say that I am not of the opinion that he should have gotten off.

I'd say that his lawyers could use that as him being aware enough to see the guy. If he was pissy drunk, he would not have seen the guy and just plowed into him. But he saw the guy and tried to warn him that he was coming. So he was aware of the situation.

Now people will go on and on about him only flashing his lights. I still haven't read that he did not apply his brakes. I'd like to know if he did or didn't, or if he had time to avoid hitting the guy.

Jason in LA
06-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Sorry But Drunk guys are not the most credible witnesses.

That said I sat on a Murder Jury. People are pretty stupid and loath to actually make decisions.

I didn't read anywhere that it was in dispute whether the guy was jay walking or not. I thought that it was clear that he was. If there is no question that he was, then Stallworth's lawyers had a lot of wiggle room.

Jason in LA
06-16-2009, 01:14 PM
yeah but the house arrest is really long. What is up with that? did I read that right?

does that mean he can't leave house for that long?

I was wondering that too. There are probably conditions to that which will allow him to resume his playing career. Like he can leave the house to go to practice and games, but that's about it. I don't think he'd take a deal that would end his career, unless his lawyers felt that he really didn't have a good chance with the trial.

And a lifetime suspended DL? Damn.

ColoradoDarin
06-16-2009, 01:35 PM
"Rock stars don't go to jail... Vince Neil only got 30 days and he killed somebody" - Airheads

BroncoMan4ever
06-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Stallworth, a 2nd round pick and Rogers for Marshall

deal, on the provision that Stallworth isn't suspended for the year.

Northman
06-16-2009, 01:39 PM

Ha!

Money solves everything i guess even those who were affected with the loss.

LittleFloyd
06-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Dudes a large hunk of crap.

broncocalijohn
06-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Big deal. It is tougher in Beverly Hills. I know a black guy ,around 1984, for getting arrested for Disturbing the peace by getting thrown out of a window! Do you know what the charge is for getting pushed out of a moving car? Jaywalking!

Northman
06-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Big deal. It is tougher in Beverly Hills. I know a black guy ,around 1984, for getting arrested for Disturbing the peace by getting thrown out of a window! Do you know what the charge is for getting pushed out of a moving car? Jaywalking!

Yea, Ackmel Foley was a good man but jumping through windows was a big offense back then.

broncocalijohn
06-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Yea, Ackmel Foley was a good man but jumping through windows was a big offense back then.

I think it was Ackschmel Foley.

NOLA Bronco
06-17-2009, 06:51 AM
deal, on the provision that Stallworth isn't suspended for the year.

If that actually happens, I will have to go against my nature and not root for the Broncos. I could never root for someone or a team that employs some who killed someone while drinking and driving. Same goes for Little on the Rams.

It sickens me that the owners of these teams dont have a decent bone in their body and would say no to someone like this.

UberBroncoMan
06-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Cleveland Browns' Donte Stallworth suspended indefinitely by NFL

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/06/cleveland_browns_donte_stallwo_2.html

That's some good news I suppose.

XXXII
06-20-2009, 08:50 AM
I suppose, but I can't figure that verdict, if you have money and fame you get out of stuff, that doesn't really happen does it? oh wait, yes it does..

peacepipe
06-20-2009, 09:39 AM

Under FL law The j walker is almost always at fault. usually if you hit a j walker the j walker gets the ticket. The pedestrian only has the right of way at a crosswalk.

Los Broncos
06-20-2009, 10:04 AM

Hilarious!