PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshall's "Injury Prone" Career

footstepsfrom#27
06-16-2009, 07:17 AM
I keep seeing this repeated everywhere in here...it's amazing to me how little people pay attention to what actually happens...continuous references to Marshall being injury prone. So let's set the record straight once for all;

Marshall has missed ZERO NFL starts due to injury and ONE GAME before he became a starter in his rookie year. He's proven one of the most durable receivers in the league the last three years, even while being one of the most physical.

Kaylore
06-16-2009, 07:20 AM
His injury to his MCL his rookie year kept him off the field because he missed the second half of training camp and it took him several games to get up to speed and even see the field again. He probably would have been the number 2 receiver were it not so.

cmhargrove
06-16-2009, 07:31 AM
I don't know who would really call Brandon "injury prone."

He has been dinged up like any physical player (offense or defense) in the league.

However, his injuries may have hampered his development during TCs. I always wondered who "messed up" so many routes when he and Cutler would give each other "the look." You could tell they were occasionally on the wrong page, and I could never tell if it was Marshall or Cutler.

The knock on Brandon shouldn't be injury.

DenverBrit
06-16-2009, 08:02 AM
I don't know who would really call Brandon "injury prone."

He has been dinged up like any physical player (offense or defense) in the league.

However, his injuries may have hampered his development during TCs. I always wondered who "messed up" so many routes when he and Cutler would give each other "the look." You could tell they were occasionally on the wrong page, and I could never tell if it was Marshall or Cutler.

The knock on Brandon shouldn't be injury.

It should be what's going on between his ears.
BM is no Einstein, which is another reason he should be in camp....new system, terminology etc.

vancejohnson82
06-16-2009, 08:06 AM
who has been saying he's injury prone?

his girlfriends are injury prone.....

misturanderson
06-16-2009, 08:19 AM
I keep seeing this repeated everywhere in here...it's amazing to me how little people pay attention to what actually happens...continuous references to Marshall being injury prone. So let's set the record straight once for all;

Marshall has missed ZERO NFL starts due to injury and ONE GAME before he became a starter in his rookie year. He's proven one of the most durable receivers in the league the last three years, even while being one of the most physical.

Nobody has been saying that he's injury prone. They've been saying that he has an injury concern, as in, he's currently injured and may not be able to return to 100% in the near future. Not sure if that's even a concern since I have no idea how truly serious his injury was, but hips have been known to end careers.

Edit: I did just see a person say that he had an extensive injury history, so someone did say it, but that one person didn't warrant a whole thread about it.
I also think that the numbness that he said he still has in his hand might have been something people were refering to, especially in regards to all of his drops and fumbles last year.

I think he deserves a new contract, but there is no way that he's going to get payed what he wants without proving that he can come back from his hip injury.

broncofan2438
06-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Just a different reason for people to be pissed about the situation

TonyR
06-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Nobody has been saying that he's injury prone. They've been saying that he has an injury concern, as in, he's currently injured and may not be able to return to 100% in the near future.

Exactly right, and I'm not sure I understand why footy and many others are being so obtuse on this whole thing and twisting themselves up into pretzels. The injuries and the legal issues are concerns and risks that need to be resolved before a new contract is done. Very simple. footy is usually a little smarter than this.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-16-2009, 09:11 AM

ZING! :rofl:

tsiguy96
06-16-2009, 09:12 AM
why is it that all the mcd haters congregate together on the same issues all the time, and they are typically the opposite of how the FO feels, every single time?

DenverBrit
06-16-2009, 10:26 AM
why is it that all the mcd haters congregate together on the same issues all the time, and they are typically the opposite of how the FO feels, every single time?

They are drama queens who not only act like they have insider information and know what is best, but can also read minds and are experts at interpreting body language.

All without the benefit of any NFL experience, let alone success.

ghwk
06-16-2009, 10:48 AM
He's not injury prone unless there is a McDonald's wrapper around.

Atlas
06-16-2009, 05:12 PM

THat is funny. He has only caught 225 passes the last two years!! LOL

DBroncos4life
06-16-2009, 05:15 PM
I wonder if anyone has stopped and asked themselves why he doesn't want to be in Denver anymore.

elsid13
06-16-2009, 05:19 PM
I wonder if anyone has stopped and asked themselves why he doesn't want to be in Denver anymore.

I have strange feeling that McDaniels doesn't understand what it means to manage the Generation Y workforce and rest of FO is to old to understand the generation difference.

cmhargrove
06-16-2009, 05:19 PM

Holy ****! Did you really say that?LOL

TonyR
06-16-2009, 05:23 PM
I have strange feeling that McDaniels doesn't understand what it means to manage the Generation Y workforce and rest of FO is to old to understand the generation difference.

Now THERE'S a brilliant theory! Does everyone see this? This must be it! The young coach can't manage a Gen Y "workforce", and the too old FO can't either! So you have to be medium age to deal with Gen Y. That's the takeaway here. (sorry, sid, just giving you a hard time...)

Popps
06-16-2009, 05:26 PM
I think it's Brandon's girlfriends that are injury prone.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it.

LOL

elsid13
06-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Now THERE'S a brilliant theory! Does everyone see this? This must be it! The young coach can't manage a Gen Y "workforce", and the too old FO can't either! So you have to be medium age to deal with Gen Y. That's the takeaway here. (sorry, sid, just giving you a hard time...)

I'm not joking about that. There is significant difference how you manage Generation Y employees and how manage baby boomers and Gen Xers. That is documented occurrence that is effecting America now. You have to treat them all like winners and gotta be worse with star professional athletes

McDaniels by all account act like old school high school coach when comes to dealing with players. Which is exactly how Wiess acted at ND. Recently I had conversion with someone that really close to the ND program, where he shared how Wiess realized that his coaching style wasn't working and he had to adopt to how the kids wanted him to "coach. McDaniels comes from the same school and culture.

footstepsfrom#27
06-16-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm not joking about that. There is significant difference how you manage Generation Y employees and how manage baby boomers and Gen Xers. That is documented occurrence that is effecting America now. You have to treat them all like winners and gotta be worse with star professional athletes

McDaniels by all account act like old school high school coach when comes to dealing with players. Which is exactly how Wiess acted at ND. Recently I had conversion with someone that really close to the ND program, where he shared how Wiess realized that his coaching style wasn't working and he had to adopt to how the kids wanted him to "coach. McDaniels comes from the same school and culture.
McD has publicly stated he patterns his coaching style after his dad, who IS an old high school coach.

elsid13
06-16-2009, 06:46 PM
McD has publicly stated he patterns his coaching style after his dad, who IS an old high school coach.

I know, and Belicheck his mentor also act that way. It style that works with older veterans, but I don't think it works younger players.

TonyR
06-16-2009, 07:46 PM
I know, and Belicheck his mentor also act that way. It style that works with older veterans, but I don't think it works younger players.

There could be a little something to this but I don't think Brandon has been around McD enough for this to have been the issue with him. Hard to hate a coach you haven't been coached by. That and the fact that these guys are professionals getting paid good money to do a job. Within reason you work with the coach and do your job.

DarkHorse30
06-16-2009, 08:01 PM

"works" younger players.....like Parcells (Bellycheck's "mentor) did.....or works "with" younger players?

2KBack
06-16-2009, 08:10 PM
THat is funny. He has only caught 225 passes the last two years!! LOL

102 + 104 = 225?

elsid13
06-17-2009, 02:39 AM
There could be a little something to this but I don't think Brandon has been around McD enough for this to have been the issue with him. Hard to hate a coach you haven't been coached by. That and the fact that these guys are professionals getting paid good money to do a job. Within reason you work with the coach and do your job.

Why do you think Marshall hasn't spent time with McDaniels? He returned right after the pro-bowl (along with Cutler) to sit down with coaches to start learning the offense. Marshall spent time in the facility til his April surgery and was there until the last couple of weeks. It not like Marshall just was introduced to him this last week.

Killericon
06-17-2009, 02:48 AM
I keep seeing this repeated everywhere in here...it's amazing to me how little people pay attention to what actually happens...continuous references to Marshall being injury prone.

These are the same people who say Cutler had a drinking problem. It's nice to think we're rejecting Marshall and Cutler instead of facing the truth. Cutler had leadership issues, he lacked grit, Marshall dropped passes, he was injury prone, etc...

http://www.firstaidwarehouse.co.uk/pic/280x280/17/30/4_x_cherry_soothers.jpg

Face facts. The firing of Mike Shanahan started a chain of events that has led to the Quarterback and the Wide Receiver we were madly in love with(despite their problems) rejecting the team(Poor Grammar, FTW!). People shouldn't try to edit things to make it seem like we really wanted this...As if this is a blessing of some kind. We're getting ****ed up the ass. There is no silver lining, people.

****. I feel so numb as a fan.

footstepsfrom#27
06-17-2009, 03:00 AM
I think it's Brandon's girlfriends that are injury prone.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it.

LOL
I asked you this on another thread, but I don't think you responded; were you opposed to Marshall being in Denver due to his character issues prior to him skipping minicamp and saying he wanted a raise?

If you were...I respect that position since I've got a big problem with domestic violence guys, but I'd like to know if you arrived at your current position on him being a dirtbag before the contract issues come up. If not...wouldn't you say that's pretty hypocrtical?

cutthemdown
06-17-2009, 05:51 AM
Marshal is a stud but has his baggage and risk. Hip surgery is no little thing and he already admitted his gashed forearm cost him receptions and tds last yr.

The thing is if he doesn't want to be in Denver what can you do? Broncos are is turmoil and all the me type players or vets who think Broncos are too far from winning will want out this yr and next.

Make no bones next yr Bailey will ask to be let go or traded so he can try and win a Superbowl etc.

We will just have to wade through it and hope things work out for Broncos. It's giong to be a tough yr without Cutler and Marshal but both are men and live in a free country. if they want out they can push there way out through holding out and being a bad teamamte.

In the end all we can hope is the draft picks we get for them become good players who like playing for the Broncos.

chrisp
06-17-2009, 06:11 AM
Face facts. The firing of Mike Shanahan started a chain of events that has led to the Quarterback and the Wide Receiver we were madly in love with(despite their problems) rejecting the team(Poor Grammar, FTW!). People shouldn't try to edit things to make it seem like we really wanted this...As if this is a blessing of some kind. We're getting ****ed up the ass. There is no silver lining, people.

****. I feel so numb as a fan.

Its absolutely true that we were all pretty much unanimous in our adoration of Cutler before this started, HOWEVER the same is not quite so true of Marshall. There's no question he's a good (perhaps even great) player but he's always had problems that have tested the patience of the Broncos faithful, and I don't think that any of us were quite ready to anoint him untill he's stayed out of trouble and/or injury for a full season and offseason.

Its like his buddy Cutler said; "there' always something..."

But the big question is: do the new coaching staff know what they're doing? If they do, we will survive the loss of these great players, if they do not, then we are screwed....

I know some people have already made their minds up on this, but I personally think it could go either way and only time will tell. Lets see where we are in January before we start saying that the sky is falling....

Killericon
06-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Its absolutely true that we were all pretty much unanimous in our adoration of Cutler before this started, HOWEVER the same is not quite so true of Marshall. There's no question he's a good (perhaps even great) player but he's always had problems that have tested the patience of the Broncos faithful, and I don't think that any of us were quite ready to anoint him untill he's stayed out of trouble and/or injury for a full season and offseason.

Its like his buddy Cutler said; "there' always something..."

But the big question is: do the new coaching staff know what they're doing? If they do, we will survive the loss of these great players, if they do not, then we are screwed....

I know some people have already made their minds up on this, but I personally think it could go either way and only time will tell. Lets see where we are in January before we start saying that the sky is falling....

With Marshall there was always issues with the law that people were getting sick of, but noone was actually sick of his on field performance. Some people complained about the drops, but I'm convinced that most of those people are the one who were complaining about his legal issues. The drops were like complaining about the lack of cupholders on a Ferrari. I don't know. I was getting sick of his antics too, doesn't mean I wanted this.

Of course, Cutler's thing was public, and we got quite the haul for him. Maybe we'll get lucky.