PDA

View Full Version : From PFT: Rumors swirling of BMarsh to Baltimore

bpc
06-15-2009, 03:54 PM
RUMORS FLY OF BRANDON MARSHALL TO BALTIMORE
Posted by Mike Florio on June 15, 2009, 6:47 p.m.
As storm clouds gather (again) in Denver between the Broncos and a high profile offensive player, rumors are flying in some circles that Marshall could land in Baltimore.

Though the obvious destination would be Chicago, where Marshall’s former quarterback now resides, the Ravens have at least explored the possibility of adding a high-impact wideout during the offseason. The Bears have yet to do so. (Then again, maybe Cutler gave them a head’s up about Marshall.).

Adam Schefter reported earlier today that Marshall has asked to be traded.

Marshall likely would command at least a first-round and a third-round draft pick, due to the trade that sent Roy Williams from the Lions to the Cowboys last year.

The move also would require a contract worth $9 million or more per year.

So it would be a huge deal for anyone to do a deal for Marshall, especially in light of his past legal troubles.

bpc
06-15-2009, 03:55 PM
PFT doesn't know what the hell they are talking about HOWEVER, if we can get a 1st and 3rd for the domestic abuser, I would be on board with this. In fact, I think it would be the first thing McNugget/Zanders and Bowlen have done right with the previous regimes personnel.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-15-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm still not on board with trading him.

Ratboy
06-15-2009, 03:59 PM
McDaniels and Bowlen are gutless drunks.

Rohirrim
06-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Do we really need another first round pick? I mean, how many midget CBs are out there?

tsiguy96
06-15-2009, 04:06 PM
good luck replacing marshall wiht a first round pick...dont do it!

TonyR
06-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Just heard Doug Gottlieb comment on the situation and then John Clayton came on the show later.

Gottlieb said the Bronco FO's response to Brandon should simply be: NO. Denver doesn't need to trade him and shouldn't. Brandon has little leverage and will be forced to cooperate and play when the fines start hitting. Many players have wanted out, not gotten their way, and then things have worked out fine. He then made an analogy to Kobe, who wanted out of L.A. a few years ago. Things worked out pretty well there.

John Clayton mentioned Marshall's two beefs: first with the medical/training staff, second his contract. He commented that Denver had one of the best training staffs in the league, and said with his legal and injury troubles Marshall isn't in a good position to demand a big contract. He also said in his current situation that nobody would likely give up a first round pick for him. He said the Broncos will not, and have no intention to, trade Marshall.

Gcver2ver3
06-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Do we really need another first round pick? I mean, how many midget CBs are out there?

i have to admit....

that was a good one...

Gcver2ver3
06-15-2009, 04:10 PM
i really hope we don't trade Marshall...

but for a 1st and a 3rd?...

hmmm...

watermock
06-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Just heard Doug Gottlieb comment on the situation and then John Clayton came on the show later.

Gottlieb said the Bronco FO's response to Brandon should simply be: NO. Denver doesn't need to trade him and shouldn't. Brandon has little leverage and will be forced to cooperate and play when the fines start hitting. Many players have wanted out, not gotten their way, and then things have worked out fine. He then made an analogy to Kobe, who wanted out of L.A. a few years ago. Things worked out pretty well there.

John Clayton mentioned Marshall's two beefs: first with the medical/training staff, second his contract. He commented that Denver had one of the best training staffs in the league, and said with his legal and injury troubles Marshall isn't in a good position to demand a big contract. He also said in his current situation that nobody would likely give up a first round pick for him. He said the Broncos will not, and have no intention to, trade Marshall.

I thought you said Clayton was an idiot.

OBF1
06-15-2009, 04:23 PM
We are all gutless drunks, now someone hand me a beer please

The Joker
06-15-2009, 04:24 PM
If we do trade him to Baltimore there better be some damn good players coming the other way.

We should get Foxworth, guy is a beast!

watermock
06-15-2009, 04:37 PM
The circus never ends at Dove Valley.

broncofan2438
06-15-2009, 04:41 PM
We are all gutless drunks, now someone hand me a beer please

Lets meet at Big Wangs and drink the season away

Blueflame
06-15-2009, 04:48 PM
If the Front Office has said they won't trade him, then he's already gone.

Popps
06-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Our front office scored well in the Cutler trade. But, Marshall isn't just a head-case like Cutler... he's got major, major risks attached.

Some team could trade a 1st rounder for him, and the dude could be in a slap-fight with some woman the week later, and out for the season.

TonyR
06-15-2009, 04:51 PM

It's possible, although I'm generally not the type to hate on "journalists" and "analysts" just because I don't agree with them. Regardless, I don't think he said anything here that doesn't echo what most media wouldn't agree with. The Broncos are in the driver's seat here unless they're stupid enough to relinquish it.

oubronco
06-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Our front office scored well in the Cutler trade. But, Marshall isn't just a head-case like Cutler... he's got major, major risks attached.

Some team could trade a 1st rounder for him, and the dude could be in a slap-fight with some woman the week later, and out for the season.

and what exactly do you mean by well?

Popps
06-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Marshall likely would command at least a first-round and a third-round draft pick, due to the trade that sent Roy Williams from the Lions to the Cowboys last year.[/I]

That's insane.

I'd love it, don't get me wrong... but there's no team out there that stupid.

Is there?

Popps
06-15-2009, 04:54 PM
and what exactly do you mean by well?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/well

oubronco
06-15-2009, 04:55 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/well

funny you know what I mean here

Br0nc0Buster
06-15-2009, 04:57 PM
That's insane.

Is there?

Does Al Davis still own the Raiders?

Br0nc0Buster
06-15-2009, 04:59 PM
There is no reason to give him an insane contract at the moment.

He is not gonna sit out the whole season, he will show up when he starts losing his $, and he will play.

If he wants to leave after the season is over, or if Denver has no intentions of giving him a big contract, then just put a 1st and 3rd round tender on him.

Im not worried about this, this stuff happens all the time

At least he isnt mad at the coaches

JCMElway
06-15-2009, 05:12 PM
That's insane.

Is there?

Gcver2ver3
06-15-2009, 05:13 PM
If we do trade him to Baltimore there better be some damn good players coming the other way.

We should get Foxworth, guy is a beast!

and that Trevor Pryce guy too...

i hear he's a monster!...

Broncoman13
06-15-2009, 05:38 PM
I'd take Suggs, Ngata, Gregg, Reed, Flacco, or Birk from the Ravens. Other than those guys, just send me picks.

Another thing people should consider is Brandon will not know this offense if he isn't in camp. He will line up in the wrong place. He will miss blocking assignments. And, he will run incorrect routes if he has a long hold out. If this were Shanny's offense, it would be a different story. We would only have to worry about his conditioning and he would likely be full-up by week 4. A long holdout into this season and we might as well trade him now.

yerner
06-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Sure, trade him, talent doesn't win games in the nfl.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-15-2009, 05:41 PM
RUMORS FLY OF BRANDON MARSHALL TO BALTIMORE
Posted by Mike Florio on June 15, 2009, 6:47 p.m.
As storm clouds gather (again) in Denver between the Broncos and a high profile offensive player, rumors are flying in some circles that Marshall could land in Baltimore.

Though the obvious destination would be Chicago, where Marshall’s former quarterback now resides, the Ravens have at least explored the possibility of adding a high-impact wideout during the offseason. The Bears have yet to do so. (Then again, maybe Cutler gave them a head’s up about Marshall.).

Adam Schefter reported earlier today that Marshall has asked to be traded.

Marshall likely would command at least a first-round and a third-round draft pick, due to the trade that sent Roy Williams from the Lions to the Cowboys last year.

The move also would require a contract worth $9 million or more per year.

So it would be a huge deal for anyone to do a deal for Marshall, especially in light of his past legal troubles.

You must not have posted where Florio actually backs up his claim that there are rumors flying of Marshall to Baltimore. All I see in there is that Marshall wants a trade and that Baltimore has explored the possibility of adding a "high-impact wide receiver" this offseason. That doesn't link Marshall to Baltimore like Florio wished it did. Once again, another hack piece by Florio.

Los Broncos
06-15-2009, 05:45 PM
****, seems like my team is crumbling right before my eyes.

Ship that bitch beater to the NFC.

Tombstone RJ
06-15-2009, 05:54 PM
The only way I trade Bmarsh is for a starting NT that is not just a lump of crap taking up space. I'm talking about a game changing NT that immediately makes the defense better.

Otherwise, I tell teams to stuff it.

Broncoman13
06-15-2009, 06:28 PM
The only way I trade Bmarsh is for a starting NT that is not just a lump of crap taking up space. I'm talking about a game changing NT that immediately makes the defense better.

Otherwise, I tell teams to stuff it.

Say hello Mr. Haloti Ngata.

richpjr
06-15-2009, 06:50 PM
A first and a third for a guy with a bad hip, huge off the field issues and in the last year of his contract? If someone really was stupid enough to offer that much, the Broncos should jump all over it.

ZachKC
06-15-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm still not on board with trading him.

I kind of miss the days when you were saying this Cutler thing wasn't a big deal...nothing would come from it...and then when you were talking about how baseless this Marshall stuff was yesterday.

You are fun.

TheReverend
06-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Say hello Mr. Haloti Ngata.

They wouldn't do it.

Baltimore isn't McD/Xanders stupid.

Hamrob
06-15-2009, 07:04 PM

Scored well...my Ass! There is no way that they got equal compensation for a guy who is going to be top 5 at the most important position on the field...for years to come.

Do you think that maybe...Marshall got a whiff of Orton and said...get me out of here???

Beantown Bronco
06-15-2009, 07:04 PM
A first and a third has to be the starting point for negotiations IMO. Why? Two reasons:

1. The Roy Williams trade

2. A first and a third is what they are guaranteed at the end of the season anyway if they give Marshall the "high" tender of $2.5 or so million for 2010 and someone offers him a contract the Broncos don't match. Why settle for less now, when he's younger and the acquiring team would get him one season earlier?

SoCalBronco
06-15-2009, 07:23 PM
He commented that Denver had one of the best training staffs in the league,.

I stopped reading right here.

Greek is an embarassment.

Anaximines
06-15-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm really tired of all of this, I don't know if I have the emotional strength to follow this team much longer

extralife
06-15-2009, 07:34 PM
No team is going to give fair value for Marshall. He's probably worth less now than at any other point in his career. If we trade him...I just don't know anymore.

Kaylore
06-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Dump the wife beater. I'm tired of his antics and this holdout is the last straw. I'm sick of seeing him get arrested and hearing everyone make apologies for him. I'm especially tired of hearing everyone explain that "every young guy" gets thrown in jail multiple times for driving the wrong way down the road, beating up women and slice their arm open "falling on a wrapper".

Bronco Boy
06-15-2009, 07:44 PM
No team is going to give fair value for Marshall. He's probably worth less now than at any other point in his career. If we trade him...I just don't know anymore.

One could argue that he's most desirable he will ever be right now. Once he gets in some more trouble or his poor route running catches up with him, his value will plummet.

Popps
06-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Dump the wife beater. I'm tired of his antics and this holdout is the last straw. I'm sick of seeing him get arrested and hearing everyone make apologies for him. I'm especially tired of hearing everyone explain that "every young guy" gets thrown in jail multiple times for driving the wrong way down the road, beating up women and slice their arm open "falling on a wrapper".

He only beat his women because he eventually knew he'd be coached by McHitler.

bpc
06-15-2009, 08:01 PM
You must not have posted where Florio actually backs up his claim that there are rumors flying of Marshall to Baltimore. All I see in there is that Marshall wants a trade and that Baltimore has explored the possibility of adding a "high-impact wide receiver" this offseason. That doesn't link Marshall to Baltimore like Florio wished it did. Once again, another hack piece by Florio.

There was no link, hence why I said PFT (= Florio) is full of ish.

But it's always fun to speculate because hell, that's all we do round' this joint.

TonyR
06-15-2009, 08:21 PM
A first and a third for a guy with a bad hip, huge off the field issues and in the last year of his contract? If someone really was stupid enough to offer that much, the Broncos should jump all over it.

Exactly right. And the Broncos would be just as stupid to give him a huge deal before he has a clean bill of health and his legal issues in the rear view mirror. And yet people here still can't see this or figure it out. I'm pulling clumps of hair out of my head trying to fathom the stupidity.

rastaman
06-15-2009, 08:26 PM

So true. Besides, first round picks don't come cheap....they're awfully expensive.

Its better to get 2 second round picks and a 3rd and 4th. Thats where the sleepers are found anyway.

rastaman
06-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Exactly right. And the Broncos would be just as stupid to give him a huge deal before he has a clean bill of health and his legal issues in the rear view mirror. And yet people here still can't see this or figure it out. I'm pulling clumps of hair out of my head trying to fathom the stupidity.

The Broncos are also just as stupid not met BMarsh half-way and compromise a new deal.

broncswin
06-15-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm really tired of all of this, I don't know if I have the emotional strength to follow this team much longer

See ya!!:wave:

uplink
06-15-2009, 09:21 PM

Javier Arenas 5'9" might be there in the mid 1st round if luck has it.

uplink
06-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Is BMarsh a team 1st guy? Doesn't look like it. Wonder if he is learning this new offense?

If he is not a team 1st guy then trade him per Bowlen. Once the rules are set down you should try and follow them. We are all hoodies now.

colonelbeef
06-15-2009, 09:53 PM

What shade of rose are your glasses exactly?

Hulamau
06-15-2009, 10:15 PM

He is, but every dog finds a bone every now and then.

Popps
06-15-2009, 10:24 PM
What shade of rose are your glasses exactly?

Sorry dude, you're right. Marshall is a model citizen.

My bad.

Popps
06-15-2009, 10:27 PM
The Broncos are also just as stupid not met BMarsh half-way and compromise a new deal.

Do you know what half-way would be?

Unless you know for a fact what half-way is, there's no point in that comment.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-16-2009, 01:55 AM
If the Front Office has said they won't trade him, then he's already gone.

The Broncos announced today that they are not -- repeat, NOT -- trading Blueflame to another fanbase.

BabyTO
06-16-2009, 02:05 AM
Give the damn guy his money already, this is ridiculous. He hasn't complained once the past few years when he made those all pro teams. The guy wants some security, he's an all pro. I think 90% of the punters made more money than Brandon did the past 3 years. Pay the damn guy and then let's play football.

cutthemdown
06-16-2009, 02:11 AM
Broncos should trade him if any team dumb enough to offer a first and 3rd round pick.

IMO he won't get an offer for more then a 2nd with his troubles.

Giving up firsts for Cutler one thing, but Marshall with his injury and off field problems would be crazy.

cutthemdown
06-16-2009, 02:13 AM
Give the damn guy his money already, this is ridiculous. He hasn't complained once the past few years when he made those all pro teams. The guy wants some security, he's an all pro. I think 90% of the punters made more money than Brandon did the past 3 years. Pay the damn guy and then let's play football.

I wish we knew what Bowlen offered. So you you are saying give him 10 million a yr, over 5 yrs, 12 million or so upfront, Like Fitz money just to get it done right?

cutthemdown
06-16-2009, 02:14 AM

B-Marsh just not as good as the top 5 WR in football. With his injuries and off field problems I just don't see how you can commit to him for 5 yrs.

It sucks for the fans but I can see why Broncos are leery of a long term deal before seeing him run on that hip and not blame forearm for a bunch of drops.

Bad times for Broncos it's going to be a tough tough yr.

BabyTO
06-16-2009, 02:43 AM
I wish we knew what Bowlen offered. So you you are saying give him 10 million a yr, over 5 yrs, 12 million or so upfront, Like Fitz money just to get it done right?
I think if they offered him a contract it was probably incentive-laden (a.k.a. "prove me") and thats really not fair to him, kind of insulting actually. Or they just low balled him. He's got off the field issues and thats why he can't make Fitzgerald type money. Like 5-6 mil. per year or something like that. Either way they didn't offer him what a young pro bowl WR who hasn't even reached his prime yet should be making.

**** off season. :/

BabyTO
06-16-2009, 02:53 AM
B-Marsh just not as good as the top 5 WR in football.
I'm pretty sure everyone around the league is gonna disagree with you there. The top 3 receivers right now are Andre Johnson, Marshall and Fitzgerald.

If you just look at the past two years Marshall was the best WR in football. Fitz was ridiculous during the playoffs but thats not what he looked like the past 2 years. He was a top 5 receiver but nobody had him at the top. Not even close. Right now he's at the top though because of his playoff performance.

Pat Bowlen
06-16-2009, 03:58 AM
Like 5-6 mil. per year or something like that.
All things considered this is about all I would open my wallet for in this instance, though incentives are always as much a part of the game as clauses concerning off-field incidents.

Also, your screen name belies your attempts at rational thinking on this subject.

DBroncos4life
06-16-2009, 04:04 AM
I'm getting a kick out of reading how Marshall runs poor routes and how he is over-rated. The Broncos fan base is amazing. We pride ourselves on being one of the best fan base in the NFL but we turn on every player that wants to get paid.

cutthemdown
06-16-2009, 04:25 AM
I think if they offered him a contract it was probably incentive-laden (a.k.a. "prove me") and thats really not fair to him, kind of insulting actually. Or they just low balled him. He's got off the field issues and thats why he can't make Fitzgerald type money. Like 5-6 mil. per year or something like that. Either way they didn't offer him what a young pro bowl WR who hasn't even reached his prime yet should be making.

**** off season. :/

I bet you are at least 3-4 mil a yr off what Marshall in demanding.

I bet you broncos did offer something like 5 mil a yr with not a ton garaunteed and he balked.

His injuries and off fields problems have put both Broncos and Marshall in a tough spot. Yes he is dominant, but has dropped balls, been injured, coming off another surgery, admitted his forearm bothered him last yr(could still be a factor, has been suspended, could still be again, has some judgement issues.

But Marshall at that point where you need to get your first big pay day. Basically his agent is telling him you may never get 100 balls in a yr again for Broncos. You are coming off a surgery you may not play that well early, you may be suspended at some point, you need money now for what you have done.

Broncos though have to wonder if Marshall isn't confident enough to play this yr and go into an uncapped yr as a FA what is the reason.

BabyTO
06-16-2009, 04:37 AM
All things considered this is about all I would open my wallet for in this instance, though incentives are always as much a part of the game as clauses concerning off-field incidents.

Also, your screen name belies your attempts at rational thinking on this subject.

I apologize, Pat Bowlen. Unlike you i'm very biased. :sickortir

In my opinion the only thing thats fair is paying him what the top flight receivers make (9-10 mil. per year). But at the same time we have to have some security as well. Like spreading his signing bonus or the guaranteed money over 5 years so that when he screws up again he's not gonna see all that money. That would make him stay out of trouble and that would also make sure we don't waste 50 mil. on a guy if he gets suspended or banned or whatever at some point after a year or two.

Yet he would still be compensated as a top 3 or top 5 receiver as far as the salary goes.

Miss I.
06-16-2009, 04:40 AM

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage.
Bart Starr

Just saying, this drama over players comes and goes, sometimes it's highly crazy and sometimes not, but it's always an element. I recognize and understand the frustration, but it is what it is...the Broncos will always be my team with or without Marshall. It's unfortunate, but as with most things in life nobody is indespensible.

BabyTO
06-16-2009, 04:46 AM
I bet you are at least 3-4 mil a yr off what Marshall in demanding.

I bet you broncos did offer something like 5 mil a yr with not a ton garaunteed and he balked.

His injuries and off fields problems have put both Broncos and Marshall in a tough spot. Yes he is dominant, but has dropped balls, been injured, coming off another surgery, admitted his forearm bothered him last yr(could still be a factor, has been suspended, could still be again, has some judgement issues.

But Marshall at that point where you need to get your first big pay day. Basically his agent is telling him you may never get 100 balls in a yr again for Broncos. You are coming off a surgery you may not play that well early, you may be suspended at some point, you need money now for what you have done.

Broncos though have to wonder if Marshall isn't confident enough to play this yr and go into an uncapped yr as a FA what is the reason.

Yeah the immature part still bothers me. What happens to this guy if tomorrow we write him a check over 50 mil? Can he deal with that situation? Does he have his head on straight? Is that money going to bother him? Will he lose focus and turn into Pac Man Jones? The guy has a messed up family and the people he hangs with are also messed up it seems for the most part.

Bronco Boy
06-16-2009, 05:58 AM
I'm pretty sure everyone around the league is gonna disagree with you there. The top 3 receivers right now are Andre Johnson, Marshall and Fitzgerald.

If you just look at the past two years Marshall was the best WR in football. Fitz was ridiculous during the playoffs but thats not what he looked like the past 2 years. He was a top 5 receiver but nobody had him at the top. Not even close. Right now he's at the top though because of his playoff performance.

WTF are you talking about? Marshall isn't even the best WR on the Broncos. How exactly are you judging him?

Spider
06-16-2009, 06:01 AM
WTF are you talking about? Marshall isn't even the best WR on the Broncos. How exactly are you judging him?

Royal ........ real impressive rookie season , lets see if he can keep it up , if he can then yeah you are right ......Now if you are talking about Hillis ;D then yeah

Spider
06-16-2009, 06:04 AM

you Pussy ...........Try being a fan back in the 70's ........... we was a bad ass fan base back then ......... Nothing would rattle us .......

rastaman
06-16-2009, 06:04 AM

Sure, you make BMarsh one of the highest paid WR's, but you put behavioral off the field conditions in the contract based on his off-field history.

Brandon know's he's screwed up off the field......but he's given his all ON THE FIELD! his mode of play makes him more susceptible to injuries, and he must get paid while he's still young and at his peak. I'm sure the roamanistic fans just "Loves" it when Brandon runs with reckless abandon after a reception to make something happen....but it takes a toll on his body. Brandon wants to continue to entertain the Bronco-adult children fans in the stands with his KamaKazie style of play.....but the BROTHA WANTS TO GET PAID!!!

BabyTO
06-16-2009, 06:07 AM
Go play madden or something, it's obvious you don't understand the game of football.

Beantown Bronco
06-16-2009, 06:20 AM
Is BMarsh a team 1st guy? Doesn't look like it. Wonder if he is learning this new offense?

If he is not a team 1st guy then trade him per Bowlen. Once the rules are set down you should try and follow them. We are all hoodies now.

The only "true" team 1st guys in the NFL are the ones that have already made their money and can afford to be. Marshall has yet to do that, so I don't blame him. It's a tough league. You have to look out for yourself and your family first and foremost. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying or has messed up priorities.

Beantown Bronco
06-16-2009, 06:22 AM
I'm getting a kick out of reading how Marshall runs poor routes and how he is over-rated. The Broncos fan base is amazing. We pride ourselves on being one of the best fan base in the NFL but we turn on every player that wants to get paid.

I'm absolutely convinced that at least a few here would even bad-mouth Clady if he threatened to hold out when he had a year or two left on his rookie contract, even if he continued playing just as well as he's playing now.

DBroncos4life
06-16-2009, 07:02 AM
I'm absolutely convinced that at least a few here would even bad-mouth Clady if he threatened to hold out when he had a year or two left on his rookie contract, even if he continued playing just as well as he's playing now.

I agree. I love reading about how his injuries will stop him from getting a big payday from us. You know the injuries that the team missed cause him to play hurt. That sends a great message to football players, well you know our training staff can't find anything wrong so you have to play but if there is a chance that we miss it you're F'd

cmhargrove
06-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Hey, if the opening offer was a first and third, i'd start talking...

Give me a rotational NT, and a second rounder - SOLD!

I love Brandon the player, but Brandon the person is starting to make me sick. Anyone who thinks that Brandon will honestly change his ways is deluded. It won't get any better, he has already declared several times in his short career that "this is his last chance."

I want to love Brandon, but facts are facts. He's bad news.

If we are really changing the culture around here, let's trade him while his value is high - but only for a really steep price. Get me a decent NT + a second rounder and i'm selling...

DBroncos4life
06-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Hey, if the opening offer was a first and third, i'd start talking...

Give me a rotational NT, and a second rounder - SOLD!

I love Brandon the player, but Brandon the person is starting to make me sick. Anyone who thinks that Brandon will honestly change his ways is deluded. It won't get any better, he has already declared several times in his short career that "this is his last chance."

I want to love Brandon, but facts are facts. He's bad news.

If we are really changing the culture around here, let's trade him while his value is high - but only for a really steep price. Get me a decent NT + a second rounder and i'm selling...

Great and if the owners do this we are going ****ing no where. You know why the Royals suck so much? Because everytime they get talented players they let them walk instead of paying to keep them.

cmhargrove
06-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Great and if the owners do this we are going ****ing no where. You know why the Royals suck so much? Because everytime they get talented players they let them walk instead of paying to keep them.

Maybe you can be Marshall's "cover man" who erases his problems. Every time he beats a woman, or gets arrested, you can be the guy that makes it disappear.

Really, listen to yourself.

My kids really wanted a Marshall jersey last year, and I told them to wait. Now i'm glad. If you want to root for a low-life girl beater that catches 100 passes, go ahead. I coach youth football. I don't let kids on the field when they act against the team - and guess what? We still win games.

Listen to yourself. There are things more worthy that paying millions of dollars to a woman beater. I'm all about forgiveness and redemption, but Brandon has already claimed that too many times. Trade him if he can't be a team player.

DBroncos4life
06-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Maybe you can be Marshall's "cover man" who erases his problems. Every time he beats a woman, or gets arrested, you can be the guy that makes it disappear.

My kids really wanted a Marshall jersey last year, and I told them to wait. Now i'm glad. If you want to root for a low-life girl beater that catches 100 passes, go ahead. I coach youth football. I don't let kids on the field when they act against the team - and guess what? We still win games.

Listen to yourself. There are things more worthy that paying millions of dollars to a woman beater. I'm all about forgiveness and redemption, but Brandon has already claimed that too many times. Trade him if he can't be a team player.

If you're not a good enough parent to teach your kids right from wrong then I'm sorry. I can't really think of any sport figure I would want my kid looking up to period. As far as you being a coach thats great, teach your kids to do the right thing. Thats awesome but the NFL is a different kind of game. They don't play for the love of the game like kids they play for greed and if you can't see that then again I'm sorry.

This team loved Rod Smith. When that TE got hurt everyone was praying for him over looking the fact that he was a puke that hit a girl too. Its one thing to like people that do that its another to like them only when they want to be a Bronco.

vancejohnson82
06-16-2009, 07:34 AM
If you're not a good enough parent to teach your kids right from wrong then I'm sorry. I can't really think of any sport figure I would want my kid looking up to period. As far as you being a coach thats great, teach your kids to do the right thing. Thats awesome but the NFL is a different kind of game. They don't play for the love of the game like kids they play for greed and if you can't see that then again I'm sorry.

This team loved Rod Smith. When that TE got hurt everyone was praying for him over looking the fact that he was a puke that hit a girl too. Its one thing to like people that do that its another to like them only when they want to be a Bronco.

there is absolutely no doubt that if Brandon Marshall wasnt in so much trouble all the time, he would have a new contract from the Broncos

there is no doubt that if Brandon Marshall wasn't in so much trouble all the time we would be fielding GREAT offers for him right now

there is no doubt that if Brandon Marshall wasnt in so much trouble all the time his position in this whole thing woudl be much improved and he would have great leverage

Brandon Marshall is realizing that sometimes actions have reprecussions.....maybe at some point, you will begin to realize the same...he has nobody to blame but himself for the lack of a market for him

Same goes for Vick and Burress

Three completely different situations, but situations that nonetheless effect career paths

cmhargrove
06-16-2009, 07:39 AM

Rod made mistakes, asked for forgiveness, then proved his worth. I have no problems with people making mistakes. However, when individual decisions constantly cost the team, something has to be done. After a while, there are more negatives than positives.

Your a dork for the parenting comment. Ad hominem attacks against someone's family are generally uncalled for here. I think i'll just refrain from comment, and ask you to consider your comments more wisely.

bronco_boi_5280
06-16-2009, 07:39 AM

ROFL, yes, because your youth football team is exactly like the Denver Broncos. What's next, are you going to tell us about your "stellar" high school football career?

cmhargrove
06-16-2009, 07:42 AM
ROFL, yes, because your youth football team is exactly like the Denver Broncos. What's next, are you going to tell us about your "stellar" high school football career?

Nope. Actually, they were the "Raiders." I know, it was really hard to take, but I inherited the team.

But back to the point, you feel good about how Marshall is developing as a Bronco?

Or, would you rather see a guy like Royal take his place?

bronco_boi_5280
06-16-2009, 07:45 AM
Nope. Actually, they were the "Raiders." I know, it was really hard to take, but I inherited the team.

But back to the point, you feel good about how Marshall is developing as a Bronco?

Royal's a really nice guy, I've even had an opportunity to meet him.

But as a fan, I want wins, not nice guys. And considering his size, I have doubts about his being able to be a #1 WR.

vancejohnson82
06-16-2009, 07:49 AM

But as a fan, I want wins, not nice guys. And considering his size, I have doubts about his being able to be a #1 WR.

Why are guys like Cutler and Marshall constantly being associated with our win count? No doubt they are talented but how much did this explosive talent do for us in the past? Ok, ok, the defense sucked...but Marshall hasnt shown that he is part of a winning formula. Guys that are "winners" dont get injured wrestling with their cousins, they arent suspended and they arent dropping balls

lets not forget that if Brandon Stokely isnt there to tell this idiot to put that black glove away during his Browns' TD celebration, we probably lose that game too...(15 yard celebration penalty sets them up at about the 40 with over a minute left)

cmhargrove
06-16-2009, 07:57 AM

I'm with you. I really, really want wins. I am even ready to deal with a scumball or two to get that done. However, when those players break the rules, then make demands - decisions have to be made.

I like Brandon, and want him to be a Bronco. However - if he doesn't want to earn his spot this year - i'm good with Royal.

I may be wrong about this, but wasn't Royal top 10 in both receptions, and receiving yards in 2008 (like Marshall)? And, with his kick return yardage, I thought he had about 1,800 total combined yards last year? That's the type of production that can help win games.

I think we may have more weapons than you think right now, especially if Stokely is healthy. That means more one on one matchups for Royal.

bronco_boi_5280
06-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Why are guys like Cutler and Marshall constantly being associated with our win count? No doubt they are talented but how much did this explosive talent do for us in the past? Ok, ok, the defense sucked...but Marshall hasnt shown that he is part of a winning formula. Guys that are "winners" dont get injured wrestling with their cousins, they arent suspended and they arent dropping balls

lets not forget that if Brandon Stokely isnt there to tell this idiot to put that black glove away during his Browns' TD celebration, we probably lose that game too...(15 yard celebration penalty sets them up at about the 40 with over a minute left)

Over the past 2 seasons, Marshall has the second most receptions in the league. As a WR, his job is to catch passes. How can that not be associated with our win count?

These guys are Pro Bowlers. Now I know that the Pro Bowl is kind of a sham, but still, these guys are among the best at their positions. Good players = wins.

I'm with you. I really, really want wins. I am even ready to deal with a scumball or two to get that done. However, when those players break the rules, then make demands - decisions have to be made.

I like Brandon, and want him to be a Bronco. However - if he doesn't want to earn his spot this year - i'm good with Royal.

I may be wrong about this, but wasn't Royal top 10 in both receptions, and receiving yards in 2008 (like Marshall)? And, with his kick return yardage, I thought he had about 1,800 total combined yards last year? That's the type of production that can help win games.

I think we may have more weapons than you think right now, especially if Stokely is healthy. That means more one on one matchups for Royal.

See I just don't see the situation like you. Royal had a great year last year, no doubt. But he was also facing #2 CBs with defenses gearing up for Marshall. Stokely, we know for a fact, is aging and is a slot specialist. Having him as the #2 would be pretty weak for us.

I would love Royal to become a Steve Smith type. Undersized but fast. But I wouldn't bank on that happening.

PRBronco
06-16-2009, 08:10 AM

I'm glad someone brought this up. I know on paper his numbers were good last year, but I thought he took a step back. He was shut down by the Chiefs once they learned that all you had to do was yap at him (same goes for Jay), don't think everyone else didn't notice that. He started dropping balls, and every team in the league has noticed that the first thing he does after catching a ball is take a step back towards our endzone and try to move across the field rather than down it. That's how he became so awesome in his second year, but now it doesn't catch anyone by surprise. They're waiting for it, and they're forcing fumbles. He's good, and if he had half a brain I'd always wish for him to be on the Broncos, but he's not the super star some people (himself included) make him out to be.

Also he signs off on his blogs as "The Beast". That drives me insane.

Karenin
06-16-2009, 08:12 AM
The only "true" team 1st guys in the NFL are the ones that have already made their money and can afford to be. Marshall has yet to do that, so I don't blame him. It's a tough league. You have to look out for yourself and your family first and foremost. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying or has messed up priorities.

Yea, I mean how could he ever provide for his family with a measly 2.2 million this year?

Beantown Bronco
06-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Yea, I mean how could he ever provide for his family with a measly 2.2 million this year?

If he gets hurt tomorrow (or is as hurt today as some suspect), none of that is guaranteed. And, even if he collects it, after taxes, agent fees and attorney fees, league fees, etc. that all players are subject to, it's probably $1 million at best. Good luck living on that for the rest of your life.

vancejohnson82
06-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Over the past 2 seasons, Marshall has the second most receptions in the league. As a WR, his job is to catch passes. How can that not be associated with our win count?

These guys are Pro Bowlers. Now I know that the Pro Bowl is kind of a sham, but still, these guys are among the best at their positions. Good players = wins..

This is where I have a little issue with Marshall...I think his numbers are a bit inflated because of the way the offense was built last year...Not to say those numbers arent real, but we didnt run the ball at ALL....

Also, he disappears during certain games if we dont get him going right away...for every 18 catch game he has, he throws up a 3 catch game (Tampa Bay, Miami)

My worry is that if the offense becomes more balanced this year and he THE focal point of the offense we go from "I want a new contract" to "Throw me the damn ball"

Karenin
06-16-2009, 08:22 AM
If he gets hurt tomorrow (or is as hurt today as some suspect), none of that is guaranteed. And, even if he collects it, after taxes, agent fees and attorney fees, league fees, etc. that all players are subject to, it's probably $1 million at best. Good luck living on that for the rest of your life.

Yea, he might have to get a real job, god forbid. And considering about 99.999% of the people on this planet will not make $1 million in their lifetimes, I'm guessing he could find a way to make it work.

Beantown Bronco
06-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Yea, he might have to get a real job, god forbid. And considering about 99.999% of the people on this planet will not make $1 million in their lifetimes, I'm guessing he could find a way to make it work.

If you personally could live on a $25,000 salary....but the market level salary for someone doing what you do was $50,000.....and the person down the hall from you was doing the same job as you, but not as well, and was collecting that $50,000.....would you accept a $25,000 salary for the upcoming year if your boss said it was "in the best interest of the company?" Take into account that you received an offer from the company down the street doing the same thing for $50,000 a year.

Answer honestly.

Karenin
06-16-2009, 08:30 AM
lol @ comparing NFL football to your crappy office job or whatever. Worst analogy ever. And I'm pretty sure Marshall hasn't received any offers from the company down the street, seeing as how he's still under contract.

Beantown Bronco
06-16-2009, 08:30 AM
And considering about 99.999% of the people on this planet will not make $1 million in their lifetimes

Oh, and what planet do you live on? The average person works for 40 or so years during their lifetime (that's being generously low). They'd only have to average $25,000 each year to make $1 million in their life. It's not as much as you think.

Ask any financial advisor, $1,000,000 in savings is not enough to sustain the average person in their retirement years alone. No way is it enough to sustain a 25 year old and their family for 50 or so years. That's insane.

Beantown Bronco
06-16-2009, 08:33 AM
lol @ comparing NFL football to your crappy office job or whatever. Worst analogy ever.

That's what I thought. You can't get your head around the concept of market value.

And I'm pretty sure Marshall hasn't received any offers from the company down the street, seeing as how he's still under contract.

Yup. Minnesota never talked to Favre last year either. Ignore my previous question about what planet you live on. I now know it's La La Land.

Marshall's agent KNOWS beyond a doubt he can get more money elsewhere. To think he hasn't tested the waters is extremely naive.

Karenin
06-16-2009, 08:35 AM
lol, "average person." you do realize that 2/3 of the people on this planet don't have access to running water, right? The average person is not your average fatass American who lives way outside their means and is consequently in debt their whole life. Many people have found ways to be perfectly happy without a huge house, nice car, 2.5 kids and a wife that they can't afford. Although I'm guessing you're not one of them.

vancejohnson82
06-16-2009, 08:36 AM
That's what I thought. You can't get your head around the concept of market value.

Yup. Minnesota never talked to Favre last year either. Ignore my previous question about what planet you live on. I now know it's La La Land.

Marshall's agent KNOWS beyond a doubt he can get more money elsewhere. To think he hasn't tested the waters is extremely naive.

you really can't compare NFL players with our jobs...

Im making what I consider too little for my production....but if I decide to leave the office and not come back until I get a new offer....well, i better start packing some things up

Beantown Bronco
06-16-2009, 08:43 AM
lol, "average person." you do realize that 2/3 of the people on this planet don't have access to running water, right?

Great. You've accounted for 2/3 (a number which I highly doubt BTW). You still have to get to 99.999%.

Good luck.

Beantown Bronco
06-16-2009, 08:46 AM
you really can't compare NFL players with our jobs...

Sure I can. If I'm discussing the simple concept of "market value", it applies all the same.

Now if we're discussing contract workers vs employees at will, I certainly would concede that that is a completely different discussion. But I am not addressing that here.

Im making what I consider too little for my production....but if I decide to leave the office and not come back until I get a new offer....well, i better start packing some things up

That's not my scenario. And it's not Marshall's either. Supposedly, he was offered more by Bowlen during the meeting.

kamakazi_kal
06-16-2009, 08:53 AM

When you consider that he could get injured on any given play and his career would be over ..... I understand how he has to get what he can while he can.

vancejohnson82
06-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Sure I can. If I'm discussing the simple concept of "market value", it applies all the same.

Now if we're discussing contract workers vs employees at will, I certainly would concede that that is a completely different discussion. But I am not addressing that here.

That's not my scenario. And it's not Marshall's either. Supposedly, he was offered more by Bowlen during the meeting.

Ehhh.....its a very loose comparison...one that we go through all the time on this board....your concept of market value is correct.....but the fact taht written contracts are signed for X amount of time really throws a wrench into the whole thing

For example, if Marshall is unhappy he cant exactly check out Monster.com and score another job.....

bronco_boi_5280
06-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Ehhh.....its a very loose comparison...one that we go through all the time on this board....your concept of market value is correct.....but the fact taht written contracts are signed for X amount of time really throws a wrench into the whole thing

For example, if Marshall is unhappy he cant exactly check out Monster.com and score another job.....

He just asks his agent to do the NFL equivalent of that.

Dudeskey
06-16-2009, 09:39 AM
I'd take Suggs, Ngata, Gregg, Reed, Flacco, or Birk from the Ravens. Other than those guys, just send me picks.

Another thing people should consider is Brandon will not know this offense if he isn't in camp. He will line up in the wrong place. He will miss blocking assignments. And, he will run incorrect routes if he has a long hold out. If this were Shanny's offense, it would be a different story. We would only have to worry about his conditioning and he would likely be full-up by week 4. A long holdout into this season and we might as well trade him now.

Suggs & Ngata...™