PDA

View Full Version : Dear Broncos: Just pay Brandon Marshall already

boppool
06-15-2009, 12:13 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Dear-Broncos-Just-pay-Brandon-Marshall-already?urn=nfl,170297

Dear Broncos: Just pay Brandon Marshall already
By MJD

At first glance, Brandon Marshall(notes) doesn't seem like a guy in a great position to stage a contract holdout. He's had offseason surgery on his hip and has had so many legal run-ins that he should be thankful the league hasn't suspended him and that he has a chance to play at all.

You wouldn't think Marshall was a guy with a lot of leverage. And he might not be, if he played for any team but the Denver Broncos.

They're in worse shape than Marshall. It's June, and they just named Kyle Orton(notes) their starting quarterback. No disrespect intended to Orton, but if he's going to be your quarterback, you'd at least hope that it was a last-minute decision made out of desperation two or three hours before kickoff of the first regular season game. When the calendar says June, and Kyle Orton is already far and away your best hope, that's not good.

It only gets worse for the Broncos if Marshall walks out the door. He met with Broncos owner Pat Bolen on Friday, missed all the weekend's mandatory workouts, and left with all his stuff packed in boxes. That doesn't sound like a guy who plans to be back anytime soon.

If you put Marshall's off-the-field stuff to the side for a moment, he can make a damn compelling case for a raise. He caught 102 balls in 2007 for over 1,300 yards, and he caught 104 balls last year for over 1,250 yards. He's scheduled to make just over $2 million this season.

By NFL standards, that is criminal underpayment. Wide receivers who made in the $2 million range last year include Dante Hall(notes), Dennis Northcutt(notes), Bobby Wade(notes), and Ronald Curry(notes) If someone hosted a Brandon Marshall telethon, I'd be tempted to call and donate.

The Broncos also took his favorite toy, Jay Cutler(notes), away from him, so you'd think they might want to throw him a bone and keep him happy.

I don't know what the Broncos intend to do, other than fine Marshall as much as they can for missing mandatory workouts. It's too early in the proceedings to talk about trading him, but you look at what Denver's already done in the offseason, and it doesn't seem out of the question. The organization seems hellbent on getting into a rebuilding mode.

My advice to the Broncos would be to pay the man, pay him quickly, and pay him well. He's as talented a receiver as exists in the NFL. He's young. He is the one proven offensive weapon on the roster. Kyle Orton needs him. Getting Marshall happy and onto the field might be the last chance the organization has to say to the other players, "Yes, we have some intention of winning in 2009."

If not, the message they send -- and have been sending all offseason long -- is, "Guys, thanks for being here. We hope to make the playoffs in, oh, I don't know ... 2011 or so. You'll probably be gone by then. Help yourself to a complimentary refrigerator magnet schedule."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I completely agree. Sure, he can be a headache, but he definately earned it.
He's going into a unknown territory. (new coach/new scheme/new qb)
If we reward him now (with some conditions), I think this will motivate him to perform.

Rabb
06-15-2009, 12:16 PM
god damnit I hate this offseason

Rohirrim
06-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Wow! They're giving out complimentary refrigerator magnets?

Gcver2ver3
06-15-2009, 12:34 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Dear-Broncos-Just-pay-Brandon-Marshall-already?urn=nfl,170297

It's June, and they just named Kyle Orton(notes) their starting quarterback. No disrespect intended to Orton, but if he's going to be your quarterback, you'd at least hope that it was a last-minute decision made out of desperation two or three hours before kickoff of the first regular season game. When the calendar says June, and Kyle Orton is already far and away your best hope, that's not good.

i completely disagree...

it shows that Orton has grasped things well...

its a good thing not a bad thing that Orton is the starter already...

Popps
06-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Who wrote this trash?

Good god, that's horrible.

Horrible concept based on imaginary reasoning.

TonyR
06-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Yep, let's give a huge contract to a guy who may not be able to play either because of injury or suspension (or both). GREAT idea!

The only move is to ride it out and reward him when his health and legal issues are resolved. No reason to give in or panic. When the fines start to get substantial Brandon will blink and show up.

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-15-2009, 12:38 PM
What a dumb ****ing column.

Traveler
06-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Fcuk Marshall!

gyldenlove
06-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Yep, let's give a huge contract to a guy who may not be able to play either because of injury or suspension (or both). GREAT idea!

The only move is to ride it out and reward him when his health and legal issues are resolved. No reason to give in or panic. When the fines start to get substantial Brandon will blink and show up.

Having a disgruntled WR is always a good idea... I definitely think we should piss him off as much as possible and then wait until he has to show up. At least we are getting a lot of press this offseason.

boppool
06-15-2009, 12:43 PM
i completely disagree...

it shows that Orton has grasped things well...

its a good thing not a bad thing that Orton is the starter already...

True. I think it was right decision to announce the starting qb as early as possible.
My problem is He beat out Chris Simms, which is not saying much.

I think we all agree that Cutler >>> Orton

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Lotta truth in that article ....

But then again, there might be much about Brandon we don't know ???

Popps
06-15-2009, 12:50 PM
I think we all agree that Cutler >>> Orton

As long as you don't factor in attitude or winning games.

If you like pouty ****ers with losing records, he's great, though.

boppool
06-15-2009, 12:51 PM

The only problem is that by the time we are ready to reward him, he may be in another uniform.

If Cutler fiasco showed anything, B-Marsh figures he just needs to cause enough headache until he gets his wish.

boppool
06-15-2009, 12:55 PM
As long as you don't factor in attitude or winning games.

If you like pouty ****ers with losing records, he's great, though.

Marshall had a great chemistry with Cutler. He hasn't played a single snap with Orton.

Atlas
06-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Fcuk Marshall!

EXACTLY, FCKU Marshall, FCKU Cutler, FCKU Sheffler. Hell, FCKU them all!!!!! Denver doesn't need any good players to win. The have McDaniels as coach!!

Tombstone RJ
06-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Note to self: Sky Is Falling!

runs and hides under desk...

Popps
06-15-2009, 12:59 PM
EXACTLY, FCKU Marshall, FCKU Cutler, FCKU Sheffler. Hell, FCKU them all!!!!! Denver doesn't need any good players to win. The have McDaniels as coach!!

Dude, McDaniels has nothing to do with this.

As Mediatior said, this was on the wall for a while, now.

In fact, McDaniels/Marshall have seemed rather chummy up to this point and we've heard nothing different.

This is pure football business.

TonyR
06-15-2009, 01:06 PM
The only problem is that by the time we are ready to reward him, he may be in another uniform.

He can't go anywhere unless the FO lets him.

TonyR
06-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Having a disgruntled WR is always a good idea...

Nobody said it was. But an even worse idea is to give in and give him a huge contract before his health and legal issues are resolved. This is big $ business, it's not for the meek and mild.

boppool
06-15-2009, 01:09 PM
He can't go anywhere unless the FO lets him.

If McDaniels has shown anything this off-season, it's his way or highway. If Marshall continues to distance himself from the organization, they will trade him.

listopencil
06-15-2009, 01:12 PM
"If someone hosted a Brandon Marshall telethon, I'd be tempted to call and donate."

This guy is an idiot.

TonyR
06-15-2009, 01:15 PM
If McDaniels has shown anything this off-season, it's his way or highway. If Marshall continues to distance himself from the organization, they will trade him.

It has been reported that Bowlen made the call to trade Cutler. All indications were that McD had every intention of keeping him. Cutler wouldn't cooperate and Bowlen had enough and cut the cord.

As for Brandon, I've seen nothing to indicate that either McD or Bowlen don't want him around. In fact quite the opposite if the story of the contract offer is true.

But I agree that this is currently headed in the "wrong" direction.

Popps
06-15-2009, 01:16 PM
"If someone hosted a Brandon Marshall telethon, I'd be tempted to call and donate."

This guy is an idiot.

Hilarious!

BABronco
06-15-2009, 01:18 PM

ROFL!

Pick Six
06-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Just like with Cutler, Marshall isn't bigger than the organization. He needs to make sure his health and offseason troubles are resolved before getting a big contract...

watermock
06-15-2009, 01:29 PM
The circus never ends at Dove Valley.

Atlas
06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Dude, McDaniels has nothing to do with this.

As Mediatior said, this was on the wall for a while, now.

In fact, McDaniels/Marshall have seemed rather chummy up to this point and we've heard nothing different.

This is pure football business.

Oh, I know. I was just claiming how good of a coach McDaniels is going to be. Bowlen can really go on the cheap now that he has such a great coach.

broncofan2438
06-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Pay the man his money Bowlen....you moron.

chanesaw
06-15-2009, 03:07 PM
We are the laughing stock of the NFL.

Tombstone RJ
06-15-2009, 03:15 PM

Not with a poster like you around!

BA-ZING!!

McDman
06-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Have people not read that we have offered him a contract? He refused it.

chaz
06-15-2009, 03:19 PM

spot on. the broncos franchise has fallen hard.

lex
06-15-2009, 03:22 PM

You dont think Pat low-balled him just to be able to say, "hey, I offered him a contract"?

TheReverend
06-15-2009, 03:26 PM

BUT... I thought our owner was so good every player wanted to play here?!?!?!?

rastaman
06-15-2009, 03:28 PM

Hopefully the DA BEARS are paying attention!!! Hell two years from now "Hillis" may want out of Denver as well.

The Ebola Virus McDaniels won't be satified until Shanny's 2006 draft class are all gone.

Tombstone RJ
06-15-2009, 03:28 PM

Really? I could have sworn the faiders won that category, or maybe the Lions. Hey, the Broncos gotta be best at something, right!

rastaman
06-15-2009, 03:31 PM

Makes you think, could the Broncos become the 2nd coming of the Detroit Lions!!!!!!!!!

TheReverend
06-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Really? I could have sworn the faiders won that category, or maybe the Lions. Hey, the Broncos gotta be best at something, right!

Both look better at the QB position... Ha! I only laugh so I won't cry.

Tombstone RJ
06-15-2009, 03:36 PM

Agreed. I mean, forget the fact this team has not played one snap. Why even pretend to like this pathetic franchise?

1978 Bucs have nothing on this team.
2008 Lions would woop up on this disaster waiting to happen.

Thank God all teams win and lose based solely on their off-season moves. I mean, forgot about the Broncos actually being an NFL caliber team.

Hey Pat, move the team to Canada and play in the CFL, you freaking took wearing lush!! For the past 25 years you proven you don't know what the hell your doing and now it's all culminated into this one crappy off-season!

I hate the fact that I'm a Broncos fan now becuase of this!!

runs off wetting pants and crying...

rastaman
06-15-2009, 03:57 PM

It will be Disney on Parade at Dove Valley.

rastaman
06-15-2009, 04:00 PM
I may need to find out what Bowlen drinks! That way I can be numb during Napoleon McDaniel's re-building process.

JUST WIN BABY....OR ELSE!

Atlas
06-15-2009, 06:22 PM
When this team trades all the most valuable high priced players on the team. You'll reallize how great of a coah McDaniels is when he collects that Superbowl Trophy Wins and losses isn't about the players...waht blaze' thinking. Football is about coaching. And will all know that we have the greatest coach in the NFL...RIGHT NOW!!!!