PDA

View Full Version : KOA & Adam Schefter reporting that Marshall asked to be traded

Pages : [1] 2

lostknight
06-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Pat Bowlen apparently asked Marshall to reconsider, and apparently dangled a new contract in front of him. Rather then accept Marshall's request, he asked the receiver to think about it a while.

The fact that Marshall took boxes out when he left is a bad bad sign.

Look, I have been as much a critic of Marshall as anyone the last few years, but I also believe that he has been turning things around.

Is there anyone who still thinks that Josh as GM, or Pat as GM is not a unqualified disaster at this point?

SonOfLe-loLang
06-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Jesus ****ing Christ

supermanhr9
so is this for sure that he asked to be traded? I was out of it all weekend.

SouthStndJunkie
One big giant cluster**** of an offseason.

I hope McDaniels proves me wrong.

Kaylore
06-15-2009, 10:16 AM
The front office needs to hold the line here. I would fine him until he comes in and not move him. Letting Cutler go helped create the feeling that the FO is soft and if you whine and moan you can force the issue. They need to make an example of Marshall here.

backup qb
06-15-2009, 10:17 AM
OMG! What else can go wrong? Maybe Elway will denounce that he ever played for the Broncos and that he always wanted to be a raider.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-15-2009, 10:17 AM
The front office needs to hold the line here. I would fine him until he comes in and not move him. Letting Cutler go helped create the feeling that the FO is soft and if you whine and moan you can force the issue. They need to make an example of Marshall here.

100 percent agreed.

lostknight
06-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Per Adam, yes.

The Broncos apparently are fine giving him a new contract, even with his history, but it sounds like Cutler leaving plus the medical issues are having repercussions.

Brandon wants (and could be) the top receiver in the league. That's extremely unlikely unless he has a quarterback to throw to him. Right now that's a iffy proposition.

SouthStndJunkie

They should have done that with Cutler in the first place.

lostknight

That's how they got into this ****ing mess in the first place. That and firing all the grownups (The Goodmans) who had ever done GM duties before.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Per Adam, yes.

The Broncos apparently are fine giving him a new contract, even with his history, but it sounds like Cutler leaving plus the medical issues are having repercussions.

Brandon wants (and could be) the top receiver in the league. That's extremely unlikely unless he has a quarterback to throw to him. Right now that's a iffy proposition.

The QB thing is BS. Its not like I'm the starting QB of the broncos and he's playing in a very very pass freindly offense. Not to mention, Brandon has established himself in the denver community. Not sure what's goin on here exactly, but its more than meets the eye.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-15-2009, 10:20 AM

They kinda did until he pissed Bowlen off. I was always on board with threatening to sit cutler for 2 seasons

no-pseudo-fan
06-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Do we have a link to confirm this story?

Kaylore
06-15-2009, 10:21 AM

That remains to be seen but I won't deny this fallout is a direct result of Bowlen losing his patience with Marshall. Had we kept Cutler there would have repercussions the other way. We would have had to deal with him pissing and moaning and missing camp. We would have gone into camp with no alternative.

Hotrod
06-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Maybe we can recover the 1st we gave up next year for another db

**** me

TonyR
06-15-2009, 10:23 AM
100 percent agreed.

Seconded. Giving in to him would be the worst possible move they could make. I'm disappointed to even hear they caved and offered him a contract.

lostknight
06-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Do we have a link to confirm this story?

There is this thing called a radio. It works using electromagnic waves, and it does not use HTTP.

Los Broncos
06-15-2009, 10:24 AM
God ****ing damit.

SureShot
06-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Best....offseason...eva!

Bigdawg26
06-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Man so let me get this straight... We lose a hall of fame two time winning head coach..... Grab a young coach with a Napoleon complex.... Trade away our 25 yr old pro bowl QB.... Trade away a very likely top 10 draft pick for a nickelback..... Have our pro bowl and captain of the o-line center threaten to retire..... and now our 25 yr old pro bowl WR asked to be traded... MAN WE ARE SO SCREWED!!!!

Beantown Bronco
06-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Not sure what's goin on here exactly, but its more than meets the eye.

Only 9 more days. I can't freakin wait.....

Hotrod
06-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Man so let me get this straight... We lose a hall of fame two time winning head coach..... Grab a young coach with a Napoleon complex.... Trade away our 25 yr old pro bowl QB.... Trade away a very likely top 10 draft pick for a nickelback..... Have our pro bowl and captain of the o-line center threaten to retire..... and now our 25 yr old pro bowl WR asked to be traded... MAN WE ARE SO SCREWED!!!!

We did trade away one of the best long snappers so we could sign his equal to a bigger contract..............so that is something Ha!

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 10:29 AM
That's how they got into this ****ing mess in the first place. That and firing all the grownups (The Goodmans) who had ever done GM duties before.Brandon has established himself in the denver community. Not sure what's goin on here exactly, but its more than meets the eye.

I agree ... this is starting to sound like Cutler all over again.

Somebody tell me why our best player is suddenly angry and walking out the door?! I didn't see anything leading up to this, in fact when he was cleared last week I thought everything was cool.

I'm thinking this has gotta be Josh again ... and the pattern might be that Josh is a pr!ck to star players. He's a coach's son, a small college guy, that's the profile for a star-hater ... and we saw his dismissive words toward Weigmann.

It's definitely not the Cutler thing, too much time has passsed ... and if Pat offered a deal and B-Marsh said no ... it's gotta be a Josh thing,

Popps
06-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Seconded. Giving in to him would be the worst possible move they could make. I'm disappointed to even hear they caved and offered him a contract.

I don't believe that's been confirmed, has it?

no-pseudo-fan
There is this thing called a radio. It works using electromagnic waves, and it does not use HTTP.

Radio?

I would like to see a link confirming this. Schefter is with ESPN now, and with Basketball and Hockey done for the year, I would think something would be online about this.

Beantown Bronco
I'm on hold with directv now......need to find out what the last possible day to cancel the Sunday Ticket and Superfan packages is. If anyone else has already gotten this answer, please let me know ASAP so I don't have to listen to Michael Bolton's version of When a Man Loves a Woman for the 16 time in a row while on hold.

vancejohnson82
I agree ... this is starting to sound like Cutler all over again.

Somebody tell me why our best player is suddenly angry and walking out the door?! I didn't see anything leading up to this, in fact when he was cleared last week I thought everything was cool.

I'm thinking this has gotta be Josh again ... and the pattern might be that Josh is a pr!ck to star players. He's a coach's son, a small college guy, that's the profile for a star-hater ... and we saw his dismissive words toward Weigmann.

It's definitely not the Cutler thing, too much time has passsed ... and if Pat offered a deal and B-Marsh said no ... it's gotta be a Josh thing,

I disagree....I think once Marshall found out that he wasnt going to be suspended he had his mind made up about what he was goign to do next....

the timing of this all makes a lot of sense in that regard....I would help him pack and get his **** out of Denver if it came down to it....i dont like having guys like this on the team

TonyR
06-15-2009, 10:32 AM

Or it could be an agent driven ploy to get a better deal, either in Denver or somewhere else. Never underestimate the greed of agents and their willingness to use naive, young players and ego driven NFL FO's to get what they want.

Popps
06-15-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm thinking this has gotta be Josh again ... and the pattern might be that Josh is a pr!ck to star players. He's a coach's son, a small college guy, g,

There you have it, folks. BrocoMuff weighs in with his keen, laser-sighted football takes for us once again.

Great job!

People apparently do their job based on height.

Hey, I'm 6'2". I'd probably be a pretty good coach!

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 10:33 AM
I would help him pack and get his **** out of Denver if it came down to it....i dont like having guys like this on the team

Okay, I get your point ... and it's a good point. But first Cutler, then Weigmann, now Marshall?

THOSE WERE OUR THREE PRO-BOWLERS!!!!

There is a limit to "not likeing" those kinds of guys.

meangene
06-15-2009, 10:34 AM
So ****ing what - he asked to be traded. So have Ocho Cinco and Boldin and look where that got them. He can do one of two things - sit out, get fined and not make jack or grow up, get into camp, prove he can clean up his act and get paid.

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 10:34 AM
There you have it, folks. BrocoMuff weighs in with his keen, laser-sighted football takes for us once again.

Great job!

People apparently do their job based on height.

Hey, I'm 6'2". I'd probably be a pretty good coach!

No no ... a small COLLEGE, not a small person numnutz.

Beantown Bronco
06-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Has he put his basement level "apartment" in Jay's house up for sale yet?

TailgateNut
06-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Okay, I get your point ... and it's a good point. But first Cutler, then Weigmann, now Marshall?

For the record: I never like BM (Bowel Movement).:thanku:

Popps
06-15-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm on hold with directv now......need to find out what the last possible day to cancel the Sunday Ticket and Superfan packages is. If anyone else has already gotten this answer, please let me know ASAP so I don't have to listen to Michael Bolton's version of When a Man Loves a Woman for the 16 time in a row while on hold.

Wow. Not a Superfan anymore?

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Or it could be an agent driven ploy to get a better deal, either in Denver or somewhere else.

That could be, it could be .... but remember all the rumors about Bus Cook manipulating the whole Jay thing for a new deal? It did sound plausible based on all the Favre crap ... but then he went to Chicago, and *poof* ... they didn't even ask for a new deal, and he doesn't have one now.

SonOfLe-loLang

Why would you stop watching the team?

vancejohnson82

Out of those three, I don't see how any of them can legitimately gripe...Weigmann was going to retire, then was upset that he didnt get a new contract from the team....Cutler's fiasco is well documented...and now Marshall gets cleared from the league and two days later we can't even get him on teh field...he was sitting around waiting to get the answer on the suspension and now that he has no strings attached he thinks he is in a great position to bitch about a contract

what they probably offered him was an incentive laden contract and his resposne was that he might not reach those numbers because of the QB situation...to me, all I'm hearing from B Marsh are excuses...its the training staff, it was my hip, its the QB situation, its a misunderstanding between me and my girlfriend...another guy who won't man up and take responsibility for hsi own actions on and off the field.

BMarsh615

Yep and McDaniels is the best coach/GM in NFL history/Popps

Popps
No no ... a small COLLEGE, not a small person numnutz.

Oh, so people from small colleges can't amount to anything?

http://s2nblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/coachratfink.jpg

cutthemdown
06-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Marshall only doing this because he knows his hip is screwed for this yr. He needs a payday now or he may not get it.

Man-Goblin
06-15-2009, 10:40 AM
So ****ing what - he asked to be traded. So have Ocho Cinco and Boldin and look where that got them. He can do one of two things - sit out, get fined and not make jack or grow up, get into camp, prove he can clean up his act and get paid.

I was trying to think of similar situations to this as well, but the differnce between Marshall and Ocho Cinco and Boldin is that they have always showed up for the mandatory stuff.

DenverBrit
06-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Or it could be an agent driven ploy to get a better deal, either in Denver or somewhere else. Never underestimate the greed of agents and their willingness to use naive, young players and ego driven NFL FO's to get what they want.

The same agent that Javon Walker had when he was pi$$ing and moaning in GreenBay......and a trade was forced to Denver.

But that has nothing to do with this holdout, it has to be all McPoopyPants, or Bowlen is drunk again.... how else could it be explained?? hmmm...

Beantown Bronco
06-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Why would you stop watching the team?

At this point, I'm just exaggerating.....but much more of this and I'm sure my doctor will be ordering me not to watch them anymore.

PRBronco
06-15-2009, 10:43 AM
**** it, I say strike up trade talks with the Cards for Boldin, someone who's actually earned a pay day.

Brandon's not my favourite person right now.

TonyR
06-15-2009, 10:44 AM
...but then he went to Chicago, and *poof* ... they didn't even ask for a new deal, and he doesn't have one now.

That's a fair point. Perhaps they got some type of promise in Chicago, and/or maybe the primary goal was just getting out of Denver. Jay apparently was mad because of the trade issue, Brandon apparently is mad because of the medical issue. I'm not sure how anyone can blame McD for the latter.

Smiling Assassin27
06-15-2009, 10:44 AM
The Broncos would be fools not to gauge the trade market for this guy and seriously consider moving him. I find it hard to believe that an extension would satisfy Marshall, at this point. Give him an inch and he's the kind of personality who will take a mile.

He hasn't shown that he's willing to embrace the team philosophy that McD is cultivating here, and so this will likely end with Marshall elsewhere. To me, that's not a bad thing. Talent will be gone, but character and dedication will be gained just by shipping him out. Nobody's counting on a super bowl season this year or the next anyway. Sow character now, reap character in upcoming years.

cutthemdown
06-15-2009, 10:45 AM
right now it costs Brandon nothing to do this. But once T/C starts we can get even more of the Bonus, like 75 grand, and fine him up to 17 grand a day for missed practices in T/C.

Since he has never made much that could be a pretty big chunk for him.

rugbythug
Not sure how we can stick this to McD. Marshall Raved about the guy. Then he doesn't show and is holding out and now wants traded.

Natedogg
Marshall only doing this because he knows his hip is screwed for this yr. He needs a payday now or he may not get it.

Might be true. Hip injuries can be career enders. Ask Rod or Bo.

cutthemdown
**** it, I say strike up trade talks with the Cards for Boldin, someone who's actually earned a pay day.

Boldin and Marshall both have had injuries so it could be a fair trade I guess. I feel Marshall has more value, we should get a low pick also, like a 5ht or something at least.

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Oh, so people from small colleges can't amount to anything?

http://s2nblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/coachratfink.jpg
LOL

No, I just meant that at small colleges, nobody is a star ... and the coaches have very few challenges to their authority, because all the players are actually STUDENTS, as hard as that might be to comprehend in the college football milieu.

So when you grow up and play and coach in that kind of environment, and watch your Dad coach in that environment, (and then coach in the similar anti-star Patriot environment), it's only natural to dislike "stars."

If Shanahan were still here, all three would have got paid by now. BUt themn again if Shanahan were still here, Slowick would be too, and we'd all be screwed.

brncobrett
06-15-2009, 10:46 AM

Absolutley!!!

OrangeRising
06-15-2009, 10:48 AM
The is just swell. Of course, these are just first reports, but if they're coming from Schefter and KOA radio there has to be some solid truth to it, link or no link.

I was watching ESPN over the lunch hour here and don't see anything, but I expect it to blow up just like the Cutler fiasco, and I absolutely expect McDaniels to completely mishandle it resulting in Marshalls' departure in another loud explosion of bad pub for Denver and some draft choices that the Boy Blunder will fritter away on the Richard Quinns of future drafts.

These next two years prior to the firing of this idiot are going to be difficult.

cutthemdown
Not sure how we can stick this to McD. Marshall Raved about the guy. Then he doesn't show and is holding out and now wants traded.

Yeah Marshall basically lied and talked a good game hoping he would get a good new deal, now he is trying a different approach.

Just like he lied to us about how he hurt his arm. LOL anyone who believes the TV story is pretty naive IMO considering his track record of violent behavior. More then likely he got pissed and punched the tv etc.

Also Marshall referring to pinning a women against a wall as a simple argument says a lot to me.

Just like I said before he's a talented bad apple and Broncos should play hardball with him.

yerner
hopefully this is just a negotiation tactic although I think his concerns with the medical staff are legit. trading marshall can't help the broncos on the field.

SonOfLe-loLang

Dude, rod was like 600 years old when he had his and Bo needed Hip replacement surgery...i dont think they are quite the same.

PRBronco
Boldin and Marshall both have had injuries so it could be a fair trade I guess. I feel Marshall has more value, we should get a low pick also, like a 5ht or something at least.

Actually I was thinking it was the other way around, I figured we'd have to throw something else in.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-15-2009, 10:50 AM
I dunno, all i see is a whole lot of retarded speculation coming from this board rightnow

Popps
06-15-2009, 10:51 AM
LOL

h in that kind of environment, and watch your Dad coach in that environment, (and then coach in the similar anti-star Patriot environment), it's only natural to dislike "stars." .

Bull****.

Marshall isn't a "star." He's a talented receiver that is a ****ing head-case. He's been in the news more for beating women than he has football-related achievement. He's a publicized player, but calling him a "star" is a real stretch.

Champ Bailey is a star. Brian Dawkins is a star. Eddie Royal is more of a star than Marshall, in my book.

Haven't heard of any of them complaining. Haven't heard about McDaniels "hating" them.

Never heard about McDaniels "hating" Tom Brady or Randy Moss. In fact, he just helped them along to their best seasons ever.

Sorry Muff. McDaniels doesn't hate stars. You keep reaching at straws. Maybe it's because he's white? Have you tried that yet?

TonyR
06-15-2009, 10:51 AM
right now it costs Brandon nothing to do this. But once T/C starts we can get even more of the Bonus, like 75 grand, and fine him up to 17 grand a day for missed practices in T/C.

Since he has never made much that could be a pretty big chunk for him.

Yes, and this is why the FO should take a deep breath and ride this out. When Brandon starts getting fined he'll eventually blink. No reason to make a rash move and give him a big contract or trade him. Patience.

Rabb
06-15-2009, 10:52 AM
I can't believe even the biggest McDaniels haters are trying to pin this on him. This would have happened with or without Jay being here and Marshall liked McDaniels. This is Marshall showing his ass. See what you can fetch for him now because I guarantee once we hear Brandon tell us next year how he knows he has to grow up again, his value is not even close to what it is now.

BroncoBuff
I dunno, all i see is a whole lot of retarded speculation coming from this board rightnow

I dunno ... he was seen leaving Dove Valley with full boxes.

This thing is a Josh's personality thing, I just know it. That might be more "retarded specultaion," but it just seems like the natural explanation...

Hogan11

I betcha it is true.

I hope they go hard line on him, caving to malcontents and prima donnas set a very bad precedent. They have to make an example out of Marshall if this is indeed what he's doing.

TonyR
06-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Never heard about McDaniels "hating" Tom Brady or Randy Moss. In fact, he just helped them along to their best seasons ever.

Another good point. This hating on McD and bending over backwards to blame him for everything is getting older and sillier by the minute.

Hotrod
Has anyone else heard this **** yet???

Natedogg
Dude, rod was like 600 years old when he had his and Bo needed Hip replacement surgery...i dont think they are quite the same.

Yeah, well, its probably worse than B Marsh and his agent say it is.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-15-2009, 10:55 AM

This thing is a Josh's personality thing, I just know it. That might be more "retarded specultaion," but it just seems like the natural explanation...

He didnt even meet with josh!

TailgateNut

Yep, it's a Josh personality thing. He expects character and dedication. Damn him.ROFL!

BM has a history in his short history with the Broncos. Aside from his on the field performance all of that history is NEGATIVE! He's a problem child.

SonOfLe-loLang
Yeah, well, its probably worse than B Marsh and his agent say it is.

I dunno, its not like they wouldnt put him through a physcial before signing him to a larger contract. its not like they can pull a fast one here.

BroncoBuff
I can't believe even the biggest McDaniels haters are trying to pin this on him.

Well now there's three, and that might be a pattern. Plus his dismissive comments about Weigmann the other day sounded a bit off to me.

Plus, if the stories that Pat offered him a deal are true, then what else? He hadn't been griping before this minicamp, not that I heard.

TonyR
06-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Pat Bowlen apparently asked Marshall to reconsider, and apparently dangled a new contract in front of him. Rather then accept Marshall's request, he asked the receiver to think about it a while.

Is there anyone who still thinks that Josh as GM, or Pat as GM is not a unqualified disaster at this point?

Going back to the OP, the bolded part is what bothers me the most.

And why does this make Josh or Pat a disaster? What did, or didn't, they do?

broncofan7
06-15-2009, 10:56 AM
OMG! What else can go wrong? Maybe Elway will denounce that he ever played for the Broncos and that he always wanted to be a raider.

HA! He actually did make the statement that he wanted to play for the Raiders before the draft..........and I think greasy Al may have made a bid for the Colt's #1 back in 1983--but we won out.

OrangeRising
06-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah Marshall basically lied and talked a good game hoping he would get a good new deal, now he is trying a different approach.

Just like he lied to us about how he hurt his arm. LOL anyone who believes the TV story is pretty naive IMO considering his track record of violent behavior. More then likely he got pissed and punched the tv etc.

Also Marshall referring to pinning a women against a wall as a simple argument says a lot to me.

Just like I said before he's a talented bad apple and Broncos should play hardball with him.

Oh great. Now, in the spirit of the Cutler debacle, the effort has started to tear this guy down, so when he leaves, we can put together a 'real team'.

I'm no fan of Marshall off the field, but this team really needs his presence now that the lynchpin has been yanked.

Br0nc0Buster
06-15-2009, 10:58 AM

Jay was a crybaby and is incredibly immature.
Didnt call back the owner, didnt call back his teammates.

Brandon has been arrested like 8 times the past 2 years

But you think McDaniels' personality is the problem?

I can see where some could argue McDaniels played a role in Jay's departure, a pathetic argument, but still one

This Marshall incident cannot be pinned on McDaniels, he had nothing to do with it.

barryr
06-15-2009, 10:58 AM
As expected, the McDaniel haters are blaming him for this. Yeah, it's all his fault that Marshall can't stay out of trouble of the field, even when Shanahan was the coach. It's still McDaniels' fault. Stupidity rises again.

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 11:00 AM
BM has a history in his short history with the Broncos. Aside from his on the field performance all of that history is NEGATIVE! He's a problem child.

"Aside from his on-field performance"? What?!

COME ON! That's just ridiculous ... "aside" from his onfield performance?!

He's a Top 10 WR in the league ... 100/1000 two years running ... you wanna cut him loose this quick, get a draft pick for him, fine. But that's just bad football and bad business, same as it was with Jay.

Hotrod
06-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Ok so only one person heard this KOA report???

TonyR
06-15-2009, 11:02 AM

Yep. I want him to stay and hope this all gets worked out, but...

...a player who, in just three short years:

* Has been ordered to get anger management counseling in exchange for having false imprisonment and domestic violence charges dropped.

* Has been sentenced to a year of probation after avoiding a likely DUI conviction by entering a guilty plea to driving while ability-impaired (after being pulled over with a reported blood-alcohol level of 0.116 in a state where the legal limit is 0.08).

* Still has two counts of simple battery charges pending due to alleged violence against former-girlfriend Rasheedah Watley

* Was suspended by the league for three games in 2008 (which was later reduced to one game after he complied with league requirements that included more counseling).

* Was arrested in March along with Michi Nogami-Campbell -- just weeks after they were engaged -- by an off-duty police officer who reportedly saw the pair hitting and kicking each other in public.

Paladin
06-15-2009, 11:02 AM

Agreed.

Seems to me that the "in your face" confrontation method is being used by Marshall, and no boss or administrator is going to react too well to that sort of crap. Even if you give his the "star" status, I would not bend to that crap, particularly since he may not recover from his injury so as to do well this year. I am not convinced that he "Medial" stuff is that much of a big deal. We do not know exactly what the "surgery" was for, and we do not know if he had the injury for some time or not. I am highly skeptical about Marshall's motives and tactics. Seems more of a "TO" method than a Quitler method. This is one of the instances where we can only sit and watch the drama play out. Bowlin is involved, and that changes the dynamics considerably.

Bolden for Marshall is looking somewhat okay to me.................

Broncoman13
06-15-2009, 11:03 AM
I think Brandon has had this plan from the beginning. But it's all kind of sketchy in my mind. He said some things that made me believe that he wasn't too fond of Cutler. But when Cutler was leaving he was certain other players would have this type of reaction. The Broncos offering a new contract and telling him that he wants to stay and him still wanting out says a lot. This is a lot like Ocho Stinko. It's not about the money and contract at this point. He knows he can get paid anywhere with his ability, it's about the fact that he doesn't like the path or team motto. He wants out of Denver, that's pretty much the nuts and bolts of it.

Hotrod
06-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Im calling BS

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Im calling BS

I hope so ... it's just the boxes thing the other day makes it seem real ???

Hotrod
If dude made this **** up he needs to be banned.

Rabb
Well now there's three, and that might be a pattern. Plus his dismissive comments about Weigmann the other day sounded a bit off to me.

Plus, if the stories that Pat offered him a deal are true, then what else? He hadn't been griping before this minicamp, not that I heard.

Tell me when you get to the part where this is on McDaniels

it is a contract year...this is what players try and do and he and his agent (agent mainly I bet) are smart enough to know that Denver is in a major state of "up in the air" and they may bite on trying to keep their top receiver in town

this is nothing but a $$$ play in my mind

and listen I WANT Marshall to stay here, I love the guy...I just think that with the antics he pulls he doesn't have the leverage he thinks he does

Tombstone RJ
06-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Before I get all bent out of shape, I need some kind of confirmation on this report. A link perhaps or another well known poster saying he/she heard the same report on KOA.

no-pseudo-fan
06-15-2009, 11:09 AM

He seemed quite defensive when I asked for a link. I just want to understand why no online sports outlet has picked this up, or no one else has confirmed anything.

bronco militia
06-15-2009, 11:09 AM

duude...it's on the internet. ;D

no-pseudo-fan
06-15-2009, 11:11 AM
duude...it's on the internet. ;D

Where?

Broncoman13
06-15-2009, 11:12 AM
There is nothing on the net confirming this... pretty big news you would think!

broncofan7
06-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Bull****.

Marshall isn't a "star." He's a talented receiver that is a ****ing head-case. He's been in the news more for beating women than he has football-related achievement. He's a publicized player, but calling him a "star" is a real stretch.

Champ Bailey is a star. Brian Dawkins is a star. Eddie Royal is more of a star than Marshall, in my book.

Haven't heard of any of them complaining. Haven't heard about McDaniels "hating" them.

Sorry Muff. McDaniels doesn't hate stars. You keep reaching at straws. Maybe it's because he's white? Have you tried that yet?

What a moronic statement. :clown:

no-pseudo-fan
06-15-2009, 11:13 AM
I can not find anything

lex
06-15-2009, 11:14 AM
I like how the sheep are convinced that you dont need talent to win in the NFL...you only need a cuddly coach from NE.

TonyR
06-15-2009, 11:16 AM
...I just think that with the antics he pulls he doesn't have the leverage he thinks he does

I agree, he has very little leverage. Unless, of course, the Broncos FO blinks and gives it to him. Which the alleged radio report stating that Bowlen "dangled" a contract offer suggest they may have. No reason to give in at this point! Ride it out!

broncofan7
06-15-2009, 11:16 AM
I can not find anything

Me either--I am starting to think that we've been 'had'..........

TonyR
06-15-2009, 11:17 AM
I like how the sheep are convinced that you dont need talent to win in the NFL...you only need a cuddly coach from NE.

Who stating any such thing?

PRBronco
Also, this is more support for my "vote for your least favourite teams' players for the Pro Bowl" method! The Pro Bowl is the devil!

tsiguy96
like i said before, i think mcdaniels is taking a too hard line stance on people being unhappy with their contracts. as if hes taking it personally that these guys want more money, that they are insulting him some way and he wont have it. wonder if its something like that? i dont see marshall being traded as we wont get much in return, but still...

bronco militia
06-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Where?

www.orangemane.com ya big dummy Ha!

no-pseudo-fan
06-15-2009, 11:20 AM
www.orangemane.com ya big dummy Ha!

:wiggle:

TailgateNut
06-15-2009, 11:20 AM
"Aside from his on-field performance"? What?!

COME ON! That's just ridiculous ... "aside" from his onfield performance?!

He's a Top 10 WR in the league ... 100/1000 two years running ... you wanna cut him loose this quick, get a draft pick for him, fine. But that's just bad football and bad business, same as it was with Jay.

Yes "ASIDE FROM". He's a ****ing boil with serious issues.

lex
06-15-2009, 11:21 AM
like i said before, i think mcdaniels is taking a too hard line stance on people being unhappy with their contracts. as if hes taking it personally that these guys want more money, that they are insulting him some way and he wont have it. wonder if its something like that? i dont see marshall being traded as we wont get much in return, but still...

"Its a business" only applies when he wants to trade Cutler. Perhaps he doesnt like it when it cuts both ways.

broncofan2438
06-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Un****ing Believable......f This

rugbythug
06-15-2009, 11:22 AM
My Co-Worker came in and told me he heard schefter on KOA say the same thing. So double second hand confirmation

Paladin
06-15-2009, 11:23 AM
One thing is certain: If this was a false report, we now know that here is a significant number of "fans" here who will toss McD under the bus at the slightest provocation, whether it is deserved or not.

Right Buff?

s0phr0syne

I'm not even a huge McDaniels homer (like you have been throughout this offseason) and I don't think that's the case at all--watch McDaniels interview from Friday (click June 14th wrap-up, around the 4:30 mark: http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609) if you get the chance and you'll see that he seems to understand where Marshall is coming from and even somewhat agree that Marshall deserves more money.

Tombstone RJ
Yes "ASIDE FROM". He's a ****ing boil with serious issues.

You mean he's got serious relationship issues. Dude, we all got that...:wiggle:

BroncoBuff

Yeah, B-Marsh is definitely a star, maybe one of the Top 5 recievers in the league.

And ok Paladin, maybe I am jumping the gun on making this about Josh just yet ... but it seems strange. B-Marsh had been saying the right things just a few weeks ago.

broncofan2438
06-15-2009, 11:24 AM
What a joke this year is so far

Hotrod
06-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Hey OP did he say anything about Peppers signing soon?

Lev Vyvanse
06-15-2009, 11:25 AM
http://www.850koa.com/pages/cmn.html

TheReverend
06-15-2009, 11:25 AM
I can't believe how many people are shocked over the actions of Cutler and Marshall.

Newsflash: Professional star athletes have inflated egos! OMG!

tsiguy96
06-15-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm not even a huge McDaniels homer (like you have been throughout this offseason) and I don't think that's the case at all--watch McDaniels interview from Saturday if you get the chance and you'll see that he seems to understand where Marshall is coming from and even somewhat agree that Marshall deserves more money.

ive never been a mcdaniels homer jackass, i have not however completely written off the season like most of the morons here, im willing to see the product he puts on the field before crying doom and gloom.

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 11:27 AM
I can't believe how many people are shocked over the actions of Cutler and Marshall.

Newsflash: Professional star athletes have inflated egos! OMG!

I'm only shocked because I can't remember when two of our best three players had such big issues with management in the same offseason.

Hell, I can't remember it EVER!

Tombstone RJ
Yeah, B-Marsh is definitely a star, maybe one of the Top 5 recievers in the league.

And ok Paladin, maybe I am jumping the gun on making this about Josh just yet ... but it seems strange. B-Marsh had been saying the right things just a few weeks ago.

Yah, but now he's engaged and needs a lot more money. It's all about HER now (or didn't you get the Chris Rock memo?).

rugbythug
How is this even Josh's Fault?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12591026

OBF1
I heard 2 people talking about it on the metrolink

lex
ive never been a mcdaniels homer jackass, i have not however completely written off the season like most of the morons here, im willing to see the product he puts on the field before crying doom and gloom.

STFU. If they were to make a Josh McDaniels Teddy Bear, youd be the first to buy one.

rugbythug
06-15-2009, 11:29 AM
To emphasize his point, Marshall skipped all three sessions of the Broncos' mandatory minicamp this weekend, although roughly an hour after the first practice Friday, the receiver met personally with owner Pat Bowlen at the team's headquarters. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels

spoke with Marshall (http://www.denverpost.com/topics?topic=Marshall&searchTerm=Marshall)'s agent, Kennard McGuire, again Saturday. "They expressed their side, and we expressed our views," McGuire said. "I have spent a tremendous amount of time speaking with Josh and the organization. We have decided to continue our dialogue in hopes of finding common ground."

lex

It may not but its what McDaniels represents being from NE. This whole offseason is actually at Pats feet.

tsiguy96
STFU. If they were to make a Josh McDaniels Teddy Bear, youd be the first to buy one.

i cant decide whos a worse person, you or bob.

either one of you can drown in the atlantic for all i care. world will prolly be a much better place.

telluride
Call me an optimist, but I just hope that all this drama will somehow result in the letting-go of Greek and Tuten.

rugbythug
I'm only shocked because I can't remember when two of our best three players had such big issues with management in the same offseason.

THings you can't remember would fill this website.

TheReverend
06-15-2009, 11:30 AM

I've mentioned this elsewhere in a conv with some people, but:

Mediator says: "I can not even speculate, because it is another me first player holdout trying to get a contract before an uncapped season. This is absolutely STUPID! You can not give a player with an open injury (especially one who has had 3 major offseason injuries in 3 years), An open Criminal Complaint in the courts, a questionable off field work ethic, and one year remaining on his contract a new Deal even if he is a potential perennial pro-bowler.

This kid has never learned how to just do the right thing, even when it is hard and does not benefit him directly right now. He has no ability to think long term and its definitely about him right now. They just need to let him dig his own grave and get fined the little money his is getting this year until he can demonstrate any serious signs of maturity or team loyalty."

My reply: "The one problem with this post is the closing statement claiming for team loyalty.

He's spent the entire off-season learning that that's a one way street this year. The coaching staff and FO members that drafted him, and gave him the opportunities on the field, all gone. The QB who inflated his numbers and gave him a place to stay during his suspension, gone. Loyalty for the other guys on the team? Absolutely, but other than that, it's just some strange sense of loyalty towards laundry that's a lot more conducive to fan-ship than people in their careers.

The writing has been on the wall for a Marshall hold-out since January, and now that he's staring at a situation that will probably deflate his numbers at least for a season, his POV is understandable.

In fact, I defy you to find a player on late round rookie contract, that dominates at a Marshall level for TWO CONSECUTIVE YEARS, and doesn't get an extension or hold out.

The off-the-field issues and injury complicate things, but it might actually bring a decent opportunity to get the deal done relatively cheap.

Frankly, the thing that surprises me most is that Kuper isn't holding out too (and he's only got 1 season of stellar play).

Finally, at this point, who ****ing cares? I'm too exhausted by the goings of this off-season. Ship him to Chicago for Tommie Harris."

Meck77
06-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Not sure who said it...

"Orangemane....Soap opera for Men"

Here is what I do know.

When the season starts we'll put the best men on the field who want to play for the Denver Broncos.

Natedogg
http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/6/15/909959/stepping-away-from-the-ledge

good read from mhr.

Tombstone RJ

Hey, both sides are talking, that's a good thing!!

worm

I know. When Brandon offered up his opinions about Jay and moving on without him a month ago....the McDaniels ball-washers loved him. Now that he wants more money he suddenly sucks and isn't a 'star'. Same with Jay....one second he is awesome between the lines, then he whines and cry and all of a sudden to some mindless posters he sucks on the field.

I really don't get some of these 'opinions' because these aren't opinions...they are gross homeristic takes. Anything they perceive as being against the new world order of Orange and Blue they are ready to condemn and discount. It makes it nice and convenient for them because they don't have to think for themselves. They can just rah, rah anything the FO serves up.

In the ton of controversial moves this team has made this off season....there is a core group of posters here who have sided each and every time with the F\O. No questioning of ANY of the moves...just gushing with pride and admiration over the brilliance that is the 2009 Broncos FO. Those posters aren't capable of analytical thought...those posters are sheep. They would have excelled in Party meetings in Communist Russia.

broncofan7
06-15-2009, 11:32 AM

Thank you, sir.

Hotrod
06-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Thank you, sir.

My speakers are broke what was said???

meangene
06-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Thing is I figured all along it's just a matter of time before Marshall faces some serious suspension time for what he has already done in regard to the upcoming trial or what he is going to do. I had hoped this would be brought to a head in regard to the pending charges with the trial scheduled in late June. Then it go continued to August - don't know who requested the continuance. I don't think we are going to be able to agree on contract terms with him. With all his baggage I don't see us giving him the kind of money he wants without protections built in to protect us and I don't see him trusting himself enough to agree to those. I really hoped he was cleaning up his act by getting rid of the ex but since then he has already had an issue with his fiance and, now, this ridiculous bull****. He has not grown up and probably never will - at least not until it's too late. If we can get fair value for him then great. If not, let him sit out for the next two years and fine the hell out of him.

We do need to address the wide receiver position now, however. I really like Boldin and have no problem giving him the money. I like him better than Marshall as a player in every way. If we can't make that happen, we need to seriously start to explore who else may be out there that is capable of being at least a no. 2 receiver. Royal is fine as a no. 1.

broncofan7
06-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Not sure who said it...

"Orangemane....Soap opera for Men"

Here is what I do know.

When the season starts we'll put the best men on the field who want to play for the Denver Broncos.

And we'll be lucky to be 5-11. such low expectations are for chiefs and raiders fans.....well they used to be.......

Dukes
06-15-2009, 11:35 AM
They would have excelled in Party meetings in Communist Russia.

Is Bowlen Stalin or Lenin?

Lev Vyvanse
06-15-2009, 11:36 AM

Marshall wants out. A new contract will not change his mind.

lex
06-15-2009, 11:37 AM
I've mentioned this elsewhere in a conv with some people, but:

Mediator says: "I can not even speculate, because it is another me first player holdout trying to get a contract before an uncapped season. This is absolutely STUPID! You can not give a player with an open injury (especially one who has had 3 major offseason injuries in 3 years), An open Criminal Complaint in the courts, a questionable off field work ethic, and one year remaining on his contract a new Deal even if he is a potential perennial pro-bowler.

This kid has never learned how to just do the right thing, even when it is hard and does not benefit him directly right now. He has no ability to think long term and its definitely about him right now. They just need to let him dig his own grave and get fined the little money his is getting this year until he can demonstrate any serious signs of maturity or team loyalty."

My reply: "The one problem with this post is the closing statement claiming for team loyalty.

He's spent the entire off-season learning that that's a one way street this year. The coaching staff and FO members that drafted him, and gave him the opportunities on the field, all gone. The QB who inflated his numbers and gave him a place to stay during his suspension, gone. Loyalty for the other guys on the team? Absolutely, but other than that, it's just some strange sense of loyalty towards laundry that's a lot more conducive to fan-ship than people in their careers.

The writing has been on the wall for a Marshall hold-out since January, and now that he's staring at a situation that will probably deflate his numbers at least for a season, his POV is understandable.

In fact, I defy you to find a player on late round rookie contract, that dominates at a Marshall level for TWO CONSECUTIVE YEARS, and doesn't get an extension or hold out.

The off-the-field issues and injury complicate things, but it might actually bring a decent opportunity to get the deal done relatively cheap.

Frankly, the thing that surprises me most is that Kuper isn't holding out too (and he's only got 1 season of stellar play).

Finally, at this point, who ****ing cares? I'm too exhausted by the goings of this off-season. Ship him to Chicago for Tommie Harris."

Its not all about catches. Its also about yards. And what Marshall may lose in catches, he might get back in yards, assuming they throw the WR screen to Royal 15 times a game like NE did with Welker.

Marshall has been a top 5 WR based on performence and talent. No one knows how effective that Welker screen would have been without Moss to defend. Does anyone really want to see the offense without someone to take the heat off the WR screen for Royal?

vancejohnson82
06-15-2009, 11:38 AM
I know. When Brandon offered up his opinions about Jay and moving on without him a month ago....the McDaniels ball-washers loved him. Now that he wants more money he suddenly sucks and isn't a 'star'. Same with Jay....one second he is awesome between the lines, then he whines and cry and all of a sudden to some mindless posters he sucks on the field.

I really don't get some of these 'opinions' because these aren't opinions...they are gross homeristic takes. Anything they perceive as being against the new world order of Orange and Blue they are ready to condemn and discount. It makes it nice and convenient for them because they don't have to think for themselves. They can just rah, rah anything the FO serves up.

In the ton of controversial moves this team has made this off season....there is a core group of posters here who have sided each and every time with the F\O. No questioning of ANY of the moves...just gushing with pride and admiration over the brilliance that is the 2009 Broncos FO. Those posters aren't capable of analytical thought...those posters are sheep. They would have excelled in Party meetings in Communist Russia.

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

epicSocialism4tw
06-15-2009, 11:40 AM

The sheep can buy all the McD era merch and wear it with pride. I'll hold off on the Orton jersey and the "Youngest Napoleon Complex-Afflicted Power-Mad Dictator With Zero Experience of a Coach" fan club card until the dude can prove that he can do something besides get rid of what little talent this club already has and replace it with has-beens and nobodies. All the while expecting to win.

This dude has alot to learn, and unfortunately he's learning at the expense of the Denver Broncos. How many more mistakes can he make?

Tombstone RJ
06-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Let's face the facts. Brandon Marshall was not going to practice this weekend, anyway, and Marshall knows the the off-field cloud is not going to leave him any time soon. The only real way for Brandon Marshall to get what he wants, paid, is to come in to Camp healthy and ready to go. The Broncos will fine Marshall $35K, chump change for a player that will make $2.2 mill and move on. This won't become a circus like the Cutler deal, and Marshall will report for camp and play football, because it is the only way he can get what he wants.

Hmm...

broncofan7
06-15-2009, 11:41 AM

Good post.

Hotrod
06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Marshall wants out. A new contract will not change his mind.

Thank You sir

brncobrett
06-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

LOL!!!!!

TailgateNut
06-15-2009, 11:42 AM
You mean he's got serious relationship issues. Dude, we all got that...:wiggle:

DUI's are not considered relationship issues.

Rohirrim
06-15-2009, 11:44 AM

They said dortoH is a douche. ;D

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 11:46 AM

Archives too?

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 11:49 AM

Wow, what a great post.

lex
06-15-2009, 11:50 AM

There you go again with your frontier gibberish, Gabby Johnson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5Mr5eCF2U

vancejohnson82
06-15-2009, 11:52 AM
There you go again with your frontier gibberish, Gabby Johnson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5Mr5eCF2U

good response....

awesome movie/scene

gyldenlove
06-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Is Bowlen Stalin or Lenin?

Clearly he is Yeltzin, the only other man who could down ethanol at that rate.

gyldenlove
06-15-2009, 11:53 AM

Depends if you are drinking to forget your relationship...

bpc
06-15-2009, 11:57 AM
This is just confirming what we all knew after Shanahan was fired. Nobody really has faith in Bowlen to lead this organization in the right direction. We had a great young offense and a defense that could only get better with some additions. After that we could be staring directly at the Patriots and Steelers as competition for the AFC in a few years.

Instead Bowlen wacks Shanny shocking all of the great young player Denver has accumulated and then installed another offensive coach to take his place. When speaking about the next HC, Bowlen said he would take Jay's thoughts into consideration because "he's the man around here now". He then goes in a opposite direction, hires a blowhard 2 year OC from NE who has never been a head coach or won anything on any level.

Cutler is unhappy w/ Shanahan going but hopeful that the FO and new HC McDaniels will keep the offense rolling in the same direction and keep Bates on to oversee the project. McDaniels says he'll try, never does and eventually moves him out the door.

Cutler is disappointed, but unphased. He plays in the pro bowl and then reports back to Denver to start going over the new offensive playbook.

Decided that not only Bates needs to go, McNugget considers trading Cutler which is the second/third offense by Bowlen against his QB. At this point if things are being said and then the "men in charge" keep going against you, what are you going to do? If you don't trust them, how can you put your 100% out on the field?

Cutler says he'll show up for mandatory functions but isn't ready to come to Denver. McDaniels says they'll wait and then a week later says he can't work like this and cries to Bowlen that something needs to be done. Cutler is eventually traded.

On to current events, I'm not surprised by Brandon Marshall's stance even though i'm a lot less tied to him than I was with Jay. The front office is in disarray and the players in the organization that were here under Shanny are losing faith. The only one's putting up the front are the older vet players that were handed millions of dollars to relocate to Denver so their career could die with money hanging out of their pockets.

Rumors are leaking out of Denver that Orton has less than desirable qualities as the starting QB on the football field. He can move fairly well but most are saying he has the worst arm out of the 3 QB's at the mini-camp. For those that missed it, Chris Simms and Tom Branstater aren't exactly close to being great QB's at this point and time but they have better QB skils vs. Orton?

If i'm Brandon i'm asking to push on as well. How will his value increase over the next year with a limp armed QB shot putting the ball to him? He won't catch as many balls and the offense is heading downward as we speak. The defense is still lacking much punch and its not proven that they'll be much improved over last year.

Looking down the line, what is there really to get excited about? Even if we suck this year (which we are going to), we don't won't get to reap the benefits of landing a franchise type player with the draft pick because the super smart McDaniels decided to hand that pick over for a nickel CB. (Maybe he proves us wrong but he'll have to have a career similar to Champ's to make it look like a worth while investment.)

This organization is trending way down. It's easy to see why Brandon wants out now.

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Good post bpc .....

And GLORY COLORADO!

crowebomber
06-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Brandon's contract deal year was last year with the numbers he put up. He knows it's not going to be this year with Orton throwing him the ball and Royal taking the next step. Let's be serious. From a business standpoint he would be stupid not to try and be traded. You can bash him for not having loyalty to his team, yada, yada, but loyalty to what? Nothing is left.

HILife
06-15-2009, 12:03 PM

The fact that Marshall took boxes out when he left is a bad bad sign.

Look, I have been as much a critic of Marshall as anyone the last few years, but I also believe that he has been turning things around.

.........With all the things that went on this off season, we should've seen this coming.

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 12:06 PM
At this point, I'm just exaggerating.....but much more of this and I'm sure my doctor will be ordering me not to watch them anymore.

Exaggerating? Okay.

The Michael Bolton line was funny though.

broncofan2438
06-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Let's face the facts. Brandon Marshall was not going to practice this weekend, anyway, and Marshall knows the the off-field cloud is not going to leave him any time soon. The only real way for Brandon Marshall to get what he wants, paid, is to come in to Camp healthy and ready to go. The Broncos will fine Marshall $35K, chump change for a player that will make $2.2 mill and move on. This won't become a circus like the Cutler deal, and Marshall will report for camp and play football, because it is the only way he can get what he wants.

Hmm...

So, what does this mean??? Is he staying or going?? Do we have another Boldin issue

Los Broncos
06-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Next Champ will want to be traded.

broncofan2438
06-15-2009, 12:13 PM
So, I have a Cutler jersey that sits int he drawer...what now the Bmarsh one as well?

vancejohnson82
06-15-2009, 12:16 PM
So, I have a Cutler jersey that sits int he drawer...what now the Bmarsh one as well?

I still don't know what to do with my Mustard jersey

lostknight
06-15-2009, 12:19 PM

**** off asshole.I gave the source. You want to question me to discredit my post on how this new coach and GM have screwed things up.

Per the interview exactly, Brandon said he wanted to be traded.

The way the Broncos handled cutler provided a formula to everyone how to get out of Denver.

Brandon is not willing to budge from his stance that he wants to be traded.

Adam thinks they might work it out, but the situation might work it out.

Apologies are welcome at any point.

Man-Goblin
06-15-2009, 12:20 PM

Got the Marshall jersey before the season last year. Got the Cutler jersey during the season for my birthday.

But I got you beat with my D.J. Williams '52' jersey that I got after his rookie year. That thing taunts me.

Hotrod
06-15-2009, 12:20 PM
**** off a-hole.I gave the source. You want to question me to discredit my post on how this new coach and GM have screwed things up.

The way the Broncos handled cutler provided a formula to everyone how to get out of Denver.

LOL wow settle down sally you'll be ok

Pseudofool
06-15-2009, 12:21 PM
This organization is trending way down. It's easy to see why Brandon wants out now.You can't really be trying to claim that Brandon is being prescient here. Really? Why not elucidate how a fumble during minicamp also demonstrates the downward trend? Or the water boy quiting? This is about ego and money; it has nothing to do with having some insight into the direction of the organization. Give me a break.

To give context, the organization has been trending downward since AFC Championship game.

The notion that Marshall wants to leave to play with a better QB is also asinine. He could be traded to Detroit or Tampa or any number of other places that are run-first. He's leaving behind the opportunity to work with a coach who orchestrated of the most prolific scoring offense in the history of the NFL (funny how everyone forgets this).

I think how Marshall's injuries have been handled play a far larger role than any speculative notion about where the organization is going with a new coach. Anyone who claims to see a trend w/o a single game played is both foolhardy and arrogant. Really.

Hotrod
06-15-2009, 12:21 PM
**** off a-hole.I gave the source. You want to question me to discredit my post on how this new coach and GM have screwed things up.

Any yes I do owe you a "I'm sorry"

can we have a group hug now???

bronco militia
06-15-2009, 12:22 PM
hug it out, bitches

lostknight
06-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Any yes I do owe you a "I'm sorry"

can we have a group hug now???

Apology accepted. Thank you.

Hotrod
06-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Apology accepted. Thank you.

Sir, I may be an asshole but I'm a fair asshole Ha!

TheReverend
06-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Generally: A breakout player's biggest pay-day is his second contract.

He can get it here or elsewhere.

Los Broncos
06-15-2009, 12:26 PM

Quit wasting money and get a custom already.

lex
06-15-2009, 12:26 PM
You can't really be trying to claim that Brandon is being prescient here. Really? Why not elucidate how fumble during minicamp also demonstrates the downward trend? Or the water boy quiting? This is about ego and money; it has nothing to do with having some insight into the direction of the organization. Give me a break.

To give context, the organization has been trending downward since AFC Championship game.

The notion that Marshall wants to leave to play with a better QB is also asinine. He could be traded to Detroit or Tampa or any number of other places that are run-first. He's leaving behind the opportunity to work with a orchestrated of the most prolific scoring offense in the history of the NFL (funny how everyone forgets this).

I think how Marshall's injuries have been handled play a far larger role than any speculative notion about where the organization is going with a new coach. Anyone who claims to see a trend w/o a single game played is both foolhardy and arrogant. Really.

Thats not true. The foremost draftnik, Mike Mayock, has doted on our 06 and 08 draft classes big time. With that kind of an inflow of talent, its hard to make the case that the team was trending downward after 05. They had significant roster turnover and went from 7-9 to 8-8. Its hard to sell Slowik as a coordinator but when you have someone who can pick talent like we had, its a bogus argument to assume there wasnt going to be some upside with the old regime.

oubronco
06-15-2009, 12:31 PM
It's All Fuggin McDipshyt's Fault

Dukes
06-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Quit wasting money and get a custom already.

Never been a fan of customs, you'd be much better off with a classic Atwater, Smith, Elway or Davis. Those will always be safe.

Pseudofool
06-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Thats not true. The foremost draftnik, Mike Mayock, has doted on our 06 and 08 draft classes big time. With that kind of an inflow of talent, its hard to make the case that the team was trending downward after 05. They had significant roster turnover and went from 7-9 to 8-8. Its hard to sell Slowik as a coordinator but when you have someone who can pick talent like we had, its a bogus argument to assume there wasnt going to be some upside with the old regime.Lex, you're pretty defiant in your viewpoint to the point of dismissal. But I'll go ahead and address it. What made those drafts particular good is that they paid dividends almost immediately; while we could expect Royal/Clady/Hillis/Marshall/Cutler/Sheff etc. to continue to grow (though one might argue that such growth might be minimal given the great play already) that doesn't change the trend on the other side of the ball, nor does it fix the redzone issues. Rallying behind a few good drafts does not excuse the Broncos from missing the playoffs three consecutive years, nor our bungled FA acquisitions, nor to mention the 07 draft.

Dukes
06-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Clearly he is Yeltzin, the only other man who could down ethanol at that rate.

Damn I forgot about Boris, bravo.

Traveler
06-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Still haven't seen any confirmation on Marshall. That said, if he doesn't want ot be here any longer, F him. And for those trying to blame this on McDaniels, get F'n real. He's had no hand in this supposed trade requst.

Marshall has a contract. Make him honor it. If Bowlen did offer a new contract and Marshall turned it down, then fine his ass till he comes in.

I'm tired of this **** from these me first players and those that support them.

Dukes
06-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Still haven't seen any confirmation on Marshall. That said, if he doesn't want ot be here any longer, F him. And for those trying to blame this on McDaniels, get F'n real. He's had no hand in this supposed trade requst.

Marshall has a contract. Make him honor it. If Bowlen did offer a new contract and Marshall turned it down, then fine his ass till he comes in.

+1

HILife
06-15-2009, 12:40 PM

Raider fans are having a field day right now.

c_lazy_r
06-15-2009, 12:44 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gyldenlove
06-15-2009, 12:46 PM

If a player should honor his contract, then how do you feel about the team when they fire about 30% of the players in about 2 months? Loyalty only goes one way right?

Popps
06-15-2009, 12:47 PM

Hilarious!

His girlfriend made him do it.

C'mon, dude. Get with it.

chrisp
06-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Thing is, with Cutler you could see it coming becuase he'd already said he didn't want Bates to go, so it wasn't a total shock when he started to pout (although it was still disappointing), but what is Marshall's beef exactly?

You can maybe blame Josh for the jay saga (although I think it was more on jay himself, personally) but there's no evidence that Josh said or did anything to upset Brandon, bar shipping his buddy out of town.....but that didn't seem to bother Sheffler...frankly I'm confused!

If its all about money (and if we offered him a contract it still didn't say how it was structured) then fair enough, but you would think that the two sides would still be talking, and you would also think that Marshall didn't have the leverage given his personal situation so he would eventually hammer out a deal.

On the one hand, I think that not letting him follow Cutler out the door is more important at this point than getting trade value for him. I am tempted to suggest that letting him sit for a year would send a message...

On the other hand, however, if people don't want to be here, then screw them, really! That was how I felt about Jay - I'd rather have 11 average players who all want to play here and are all on the same page than 11 stars who are only out for themselves.. this is a team game, individual talent will not get you to the big dance....

no-pseudo-fan
06-15-2009, 12:52 PM
I wish there was more than just a KOA report to go on. I know Adam is the man when it comes to Bronco insider info, but no one else is picking this thing up.

bpc
06-15-2009, 12:55 PM
I was about to say, this franchise took a step back after the AFC Championship game in 2005 to take more steps forward. Obviously with the way that Plummer played in 2006 with the threat of any kind of competition for his job, he never would have had the gumption to lead this franchise to a championship game when the pressure was on. In the process we could have never imagine that Al Wilson would suffer a career ending injury, D-Will would get killed which set the defense back tremendously.

Cutler was the proper move for this franchise and Jake proved it. There is nothing that Cutler showed starting his first 41 games that he wasn't destined to achieve great things in Denver. He got better each season and finished last year with a pro bowl to his credit in just his 2nd full season as starter. All of this while the offense struggled to put together any kind of healthy, consistent, running game and despite one of the biggest defensive liabilities in the league.

This franchise was moving in the right direction even if only for the potent offense that we featured. Being that our defense was one of the worst in the league, albeit with some players injured (DJ/Champ), we had no other way to go but up in that category.

I love those that lament the fact that Denver needed a change. Well, now we've got it. Is everybody ready for what that will bring? Losing two young franchise type players at QB and WR is just the beginning. It can and probably will get worse. I hope i'm wrong.

TonyR
06-15-2009, 12:58 PM
If we can get fair value for him then great. If not, let him sit out for the next two years and fine the hell out of him.

That's where I am, although I really hope things work out and we keep him. I don't think we can get "fair value" because they market won't be great for an injured WR with legal issues.

TonyR
06-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Instead Bowlen wacks Shanny shocking all of the great young player Denver has accumulated and then installed another offensive coach to take his place.

Pretty funny that people are naive enough to think that most players care all that much about Shanny, or any coach, getting fired. It's a business and the players are looking to get paid. Coaches come and go on a very regular basis in all sports at all levels. It's not ideal but it's certainly not something out of the ordinary.

TonyR
06-15-2009, 01:04 PM
You can't really be trying to claim that Brandon is being prescient here. Really? Why not elucidate how a fumble during minicamp also demonstrates the downward trend? Or the water boy quiting? This is about ego and money; it has nothing to do with having some insight into the direction of the organization. Give me a break.

The notion that Marshall wants to leave to play with a better QB is also asinine. He could be traded to Detroit or Tampa or any number of other places that are run-first. He's leaving behind the opportunity to work with a coach who orchestrated of the most prolific scoring offense in the history of the NFL (funny how everyone forgets this).

One of the better posts I've read in the last couple of days. Well said.

Popps
06-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Cutler was the proper move for this franchise

From the time we signed Cutler, we proceeded to miss the playoffs for the first 3 year block since the 70s, became the worst defense in the league and our coach lost his job.

The proper move?

The proper move would have been building a proper football team.

Shanahan opted not to, and now he's gone. Hopefully our new staff will deliver on their attempts of a complete team.

Broncoman13
06-15-2009, 01:08 PM

Hmm...

Sorry but that report doesn't account for the fact that Brandon doesn't want a long term deal with the Broncos. Pat Bowlen has asked him to think it over and a contract IS a part of this, the Broncos are willing to offer it... but Brandon doesn't want to be a Bronco.

Find a trade partner that will send a receiver and a pick. Braylon Edwards is on top of my wish list. Same with Boldin. I'd also start looking over the Jets, Skins, Bears, and Dolphins rosters for a player to add to our mix.

This isn't going to end well. This is the same thing we saw with Cutler, a player that no longer wants to be a part of a once proud franchise. When is the last time you had this situation in Denver? When or who is the last player that didn't want to play in Denver after being here for a few years?

TonyR
06-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Perhaps I missed it but I hadn't seen this part mentioned before:

Schefter also said that there are other teams in the league (the Bears?) that are ready make a play for Marshall.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/15/schefter-brandon-marshall-asked-to-be-traded/

So maybe there is a market.

Broncoman13
06-15-2009, 01:24 PM
I think Brandon is playing the odds that the Broncos are sweating bullets about putting butts in the seats. If they lose another pro-bowler that happens to be pretty popular amongst the fan base despite his off-field discretions, the fan base will not react favorably... again. The Broncos have been drug through the mud by the national media over losing Cutler. They were again drug through the mud for their draft day deal to acquire Alphonso Smith. IF they lose Marshall now, they will be drug through the mud yet again. I think Bowlen is getting tired of that. I think you'll see BMarsh become the highest paid receiver in the league before long... and he'll be happy to be a Bronco again. That's the only thing I can think of is going on here. Yeah, he wants to catch 140 balls a year and he probably does have some legit concerns about the path forward for this football team. But it ultimately comes down to what it may do to his earning potential. As Rev said earlier, this 2nd contract is his big pay day. If the Broncos are willing to make him the big offer he is looking for, he'll stay in town and deal with the results on the field.

HEAV
06-15-2009, 01:26 PM
F him.

Hotrod
06-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Perhaps I missed it but I hadn't seen this part mentioned before:

Schefter also said that there are other teams in the league (the Bears?) that are ready make a play for Marshall.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/15/schefter-brandon-marshall-asked-to-be-traded/

So maybe there is a market.

Exactly I say we trade him and Orton for Cutler

Broncoman13
06-15-2009, 01:32 PM
It was only a matter of time. Jay Cutler is now the quarterback of the Chicago Bears. The Bears lack a proven number one receiver. Brandon Marshall was Cutler's favorite target last season for the Denver Broncos. Marshall is unhappy about his current contract situation in Denver. Add those four sentences together and what comes out? A "rumor" about Marshall being traded to the Bears -- who do have the cap space to take on Marshall and give him a raise.

Now, let us take this all with a grain of salt at this point. The Broncos still insist Marshall is not going to be traded, and the linked discussion of Marshall-to-the-Bears was kick-started by a fan email. Still, the idea makes too much sense from the Bears' perspective to completely ignore.

We've covered several times how the Bears receiving corps isn't nearly as bad as advertised, but they would greatly benefit in a one-person depth chart slide. Meaning, if Marshall was added, Devin Hester would be the WR2 while Earl Bennett and Juaquin Iglesias would be the WR3 and WR4, respectively; Rashied Davis would simply offer depth and special teams play. Throw in Matt Forte from the backfield and tight end Greg Olsen, and it's actually a pretty scary bunch comprising Cutler's weaponry.

Still, some hurdles would have to be cleared. First of all, the Broncos would actually have to decide to trade Marshall -- and they are reportedly far from doing so. It's not likely Pat Bowlen or Josh McDaniels could survive the public relations fiasco that would surely follow dealing both Cutler and Marshall in the same offseason.

If they did decide to take this leap, though, could the Bears muster up enough to outbid teams like the Jets, Buccaneers and Eagles? The Bears aren't in the position to offer a proven receiver back, considering they won't deal Hester. They already gave the Broncos their 2010 first-round draft pick for Cutler. Would a second-round pick be enough, and, if so, would Bears general manager Jerry Angelo want to go through another Day 1 of the draft without a single pick? I'm inclined to say the Cutler and Marshall tandem is worth it, but some other holes could arise during the season, and it's hard to build a complete team with a lack of early round draft picks.

Any team interested in Marshall would need to do their due diligence regarding the health of the star receiver. He had hip surgery on April 1. It's possible this could cripple his trade value for Denver, or merely be an excuse for him to sit out training camp while pressing the team for more money -- or a trade.

Another layer to the so-far-unsubstantiated-rumor is the off-field issues possessed by Marshall. The Bears cut ties with both Tank Johnson and Cedric Benson due to legal troubles, and Marshall has had plenty of his own. When discussing possible interest in Plaxico Burress, though, Angelo indicated they would weigh possible on-field production with off-field issues and decide whether or not the reward is worth the risk. If they did so with Marshall, it's likely they'd find it's worth the risk.

The 25-year-old Marshall stands 6-foot-4, and is as explosive deep as anyone in the league. In 2007, he caught 102 passes for 1,325 yards and 7 touchdowns. In 2008, he grabbed 104 passes for 1,265 yards and 6 touchdowns. The added bonus for the Bears would be that he accrued the overwhelming majority of these stats with Cutler as his quarterback.

Marshall, for his part, seems very serious in his stance for a contract extension and may force the Broncos hand like Cutler did. He's already given up more than $35,000 by skipping minicamp this past weekend. People don't forfeit a teacher's salary on a whim. He's dead serious with this holdout and is saying it might bleed into the regular season if need be.

In time, the Broncos might have to get serious about fielding offers. If that happens, they can expect to hear a bevy of phone calls, including one from a familiar voice -- Mr. Jerry Angelo.

Tom A Hawk
06-15-2009, 01:34 PM

correct you are Mr. Kaylore....Chiefs are having to do the same with Waters

Broncoman13
06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
David Haugh teased it last week and ESPN is rumoring it today but the Bears do seem logical entrants into the Brandon Marshall sweepstakes come the end of the 2009 season. Marshall - according to the Denver Post - was unhappy with the Broncos' treatment of a nagging hip injury he dealt with throughout the 2008 season and, of course, doesn't like what his contract has in store:

[His agent Kennard] McGuire acknowledged concern about Marshall's long-term security. Marshall is in the final season of a four-year contract that will pay him $2.2 million this year. But instead of having unrestricted free agency waiting for him at the end of this season, NFL owners reopened the new collective bargaining agreement -- a labor strategy that would make fourth-year players such as Marshall a restricted free agent after this season.

A restricted free agent tops out at one year and $2.792 million. The NFL top receivers make from $7 million to $10 million a year

It should be noted that Brandon Marshall is worse than Ochocinco, Plax and T.O.combined. Those guys may be locker room cancers and self-inflicted gunshot wounds waiting to happen but Brandon actually beats women (or specifically one woman) on a regular basis. This is the very reason that Denver has been unwilling to sign one of the best receiving talents in the game long-term.

Why bring this up now? Because the Denver Broncos should be a pretty terrible football team in the 2009 season. John Clayton believes they have been "acting like the equivalent of an expansion team. They made 14 unrestricted free-agent signings and already have cut two." If things get ugly quickly for the Broncos in 2009, unloading a problem-child wide receiver for draft picks might become an October priority. And Marshall should be eager to re-join Cutler after a couple months with Chris Simms and Kyle Orton, specifically because Jay has proven to be one of the only folks around capable of getting through to him.

Tom A Hawk
06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Exactly I say we trade him and Orton for Cutler

ROFL! LOL

lex
06-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Lex, you're pretty defiant in your viewpoint to the point of dismissal. But I'll go ahead and address it. What made those drafts particular good is that they paid dividends almost immediately; while we could expect Royal/Clady/Hillis/Marshall/Cutler/Sheff etc. to continue to grow (though one might argue that such growth might be minimal given the great play already) that doesn't change the trend on the other side of the ball, nor does it fix the redzone issues. Rallying behind a few good drafts does not excuse the Broncos from missing the playoffs three consecutive years, nor our bungled FA acquisitions, nor to mention the 07 draft.

Red zone issues? You dont think theyre tied to injured running backs in anyway? Ive often been critical of the teams approach to RB. And last year when Pittman and Hillis were in the fold, scoring inside the 10 wasnt such an issue. I dont make that observation without acknowledment of some criticism. But youre looking at it in an extremely myopic way if you dont see the talent that was brought in over the past 3 years. We got more out of Larsen and Woodyard last year than any of us had any right to expect. Also, arguing for Goodman isnt necessarily and argument for Slowik or even Shanahan. But Goodmans departure was directly cause and effect of bringing in a new regime. But at the end of the day, if you have talent, you have reason for optimism. Goodmans gave us that.

bronco militia
06-15-2009, 01:41 PM
[His agent Kennard]

It should be noted that Brandon Marshall is worse than Ochocinco, Plax and T.O.combined. Those guys may be locker room cancers and self-inflicted gunshot wounds waiting to happen but Brandon actually beats women (or specifically one woman) on a regular basis. This is the very reason that Denver has been unwilling to sign one of the best receiving talents in the game long-term.

wow...really? Ha! Ha! Ha!

Bronx33
06-15-2009, 01:43 PM
DeBitching the team is almost complete.

dbfan21
06-15-2009, 01:44 PM
This is just confirming what we all knew after Shanahan was fired. Nobody really has faith in Bowlen to lead this organization in the right direction. We had a great, young offense and a defense that could only get better with some additions staring directly at the Patriots and Steelers as competition for the AFC in a few years.

Instead Bowlen wacks Shanny shocking all of the great young player Denver has accumulated and then installed another offensive coach to take his place. When speaking about the next HC, Bowlen said he would take Jay's thoughts into consideration because "he's the man around here now". He then goes in a opposite direction, hires a blowhard 2 year OC from NE who has never been a head coach or won anything to consider himself worthy of this job on any level.

Cutler is unhappy w/ Shanahan going but hopeful that the FO and new HC McDaniels will keep the offense rolling in the same direction and keep Bates on to oversee the project. McDaniels says he'll try, never does and eventually moves him out the door.

Cutler is disappointed, but unphased. He plays in the pro bowl and then reports back to Denver to start going over the new offensive playbook.

Decided that not only Bates needs to go, McNugget considers trading Cutler which is the second/third offense by Bowlen against his QB. At this point if things are being said and then the "men in charge" keep going against you, what are you going to do? If you don't trust them, how can you put your 100% out on the field?

Cutler says he'll show up for mandatory functions but isn't ready to come to Denver. McDaniels says they'll wait and then a week later says he can't work like this and cries to Bowlen that something needs to be done. Cutler is eventually traded.

On to current events, I'm not surprised by Brandon Marshall's stance even though i'm a lot less tied to him than I was with Jay. The front office is in disarray and the players in the organization that were here under Shanny are losing faith. The only one's putting up the front are the older vet players that were handed millions of dollars to relocate to Denver so their career could die with money hanging out of their pockets.

Rumors are leaking out of Denver that Orton has less than desirable qualities as the starting QB on the football field. He can move fairly well but most are saying he has the worst arm out of the 3 QB's at the mini-camp. For those that missed it, Chris Simms and Tom Branstater aren't exactly close to being great QB's at this point and time but they have better QB skils vs. Orton?

If i'm Brandon i'm asking to push on as well. How will his value increase over the next year with a limp armed QB shot putting the ball to him? He won't catch as many balls and the offense is heading downward as we speak. The defense is still lacking much punch and its not proven that they'll be much improved over last year.

Looking down the line, what is there really to get excited about? Even if we suck this year (which we are going to), we don't won't get to reap the benefits of landing a franchise type player with the draft pick because the super smart McDaniels decided to hand that pick over for a nickel CB. (Maybe he proves us wrong but he'll have to have a career similar to Champ's to make it look like a worth while investment.)

This organization is trending way down. It's easy to see why Brandon wants out now.

While reading your post, this song popped into my head...ROFL!

<div><object width="480" height="380"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x7rcm0_monty-python-always-look-on-the-bri_shortfilms&related=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x7rcm0_monty-python-always-look-on-the-bri_shortfilms&related=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="380" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7rcm0_monty-python-always-look-on-the-bri_shortfilms">Monty Python - Always Look On the Bright Side of Life</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/goldrausch">goldrausch</a>. - <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/shortfilms">Watch feature films and entire TV shows.</a></i></div>

OBF1
06-15-2009, 01:45 PM
It all started when Andrew Mason was shown the door.

Traveler
06-15-2009, 01:46 PM
If a player should honor his contract, then how do you feel about the team when they fire about 30% of the players in about 2 months? Loyalty only goes one way right?

If he puts his name on the dotted line and it has verbiage that says he can renegotiate if his performance exceeds the specified clauses, then yes, he can do what he's trying to do now.

As for the team, that's an entirely different conversation.

Pseudofool
06-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Red zone issues? You dont think theyre tied to injured running backs in anyway? Ive often been critical of the teams approach to RB. And last year when Pittman and Hillis were in the fold, scoring inside the 10 wasnt such an issue. I dont make that observation without acknowledment of some criticism. But youre looking at it in an extremely myopic way if you dont see the talent that was brought in over the past 3 years. We got more out of Larsen and Woodyard last year than any of us had any right to expect. Also, arguing for Goodman isnt necessarily and argument for Slowik or even Shanahan. But Goodmans departure was directly cause and effect of bringing in a new regime. But at the end of the day, if you have talent, you have reason for optimism. Goodmans gave us that.This is why it's difficult to have a discussion with you. You take one minor point (redzone in this case) and argue against that, rather than address the broader argument that I was making in my post. Myopia my ass.

Ignoring that we've drafted horribly defensively (esp. in the higher rounds) over the past half dozen years is myopic. To ignore the mediocre trend since AFC Championship game is myopic. To ignore (or excuse) our mediocre redzone rate (if Pittman's the answer, I'm not sure I like the question) is myopic. To ignore the continual failure to address special team play for a half dozen years is myopic. To ignore our failure to bring in quality FA for how many number of years is myopic. And worst, pointing to two offensive loaded drafts as the singular point of hope for the direction of our franchise, when our offense isn't necessarily the problem is bat-**** blind.

Broncoman13
06-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Eddie Royal
Jabar Gaffney
Brandon Stokley

Your 2009 Boncos Starting WRs.

TheReverend
06-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Pretty funny that people are naive enough to think that most players care all that much about Shanny, or any coach, getting fired. It's a business and the players are looking to get paid. Coaches come and go on a very regular basis in all sports at all levels. It's not ideal but it's certainly not something out of the ordinary.

Absolutely correct.

However, players usually have a good deal of loyalty to the guys who brought them into the league, groomed them, and gave them opportunities.

That's why you see guys give "Hometown Discounts", and why Rod Smith thanks Wade Phillips every chance he gets, etc.

yerner
06-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Eddie Royal
Jabar Gaffney
Brandon Stokley

Your 2009 Boncos Starting WRs.

geez.

watermock
06-15-2009, 01:54 PM
For anyone with a vowel, the clue is h_ld_ut..

Broncoman13
06-15-2009, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't mind it if the Broncos sent BMarsh to Minn for Bernard Berrian and a later pick, maybe a 3rd or 4th.

broncofan2438
06-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Why does this have to happen on a Monday???? Its not like Mondays suck enough

SonOfLe-loLang
06-15-2009, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't mind it if the Broncos sent BMarsh to Minn for Bernard Berrian and a later pick, maybe a 3rd or 4th.

I would

TheReverend
06-15-2009, 02:00 PM

I said this in an off-handed way, but as it sinks in, I'm fond of the idea for all parties involved.

Send Brandon to Chicago for Tommie Harris.

Harris would probably be able to handle the transition to nose very well like Shaun and Kris have done in recent history, and Chicago doesn't particularly need him... they need receivers and edge rushers.

TonyR
06-15-2009, 02:01 PM
It was only a matter of time...

Source:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/06/15/cue-brandon-marshall-to-bears-rumors/

LittleFloyd
06-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey BMarsh, pull up your panties and get to work.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-15-2009, 02:02 PM
I said this in an off-handed way, but as it sinks in, I'm fond of the idea for all parties involved.

Send Brandon to Chicago for Tommie Harris.

Harris would probably be able to handle the transition to nose very well like Shaun and Kris have done in recent history, and Chicago doesn't particularly need him... they need receivers and edge rushers.

Harris isnt an NT and would be a waste of his talents. And i'd rather kill myself than see Cutler and Marshall together again Horrible idea. JUST SIGN BRANDON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SonOfLe-loLang
06-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Source:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/06/15/cue-brandon-marshall-to-bears-rumors/

Marshall for a second rounder? WHat kind of ****ing joke is that?

TonyR
06-15-2009, 02:05 PM
David Haugh teased it last week and ESPN is rumoring it today...

Source:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/da-bears-blog/2009/06/the-marshall-plan.html

bpc
06-15-2009, 02:05 PM
From the time we signed Cutler, we proceeded to miss the playoffs for the first 3 year block since the 70s, became the worst defense in the league and our coach lost his job.

The proper move?

The proper move would have been building a proper football team.

Shanahan opted not to, and now he's gone. Hopefully our new staff will deliver on their attempts of a complete team.

How do you suppose that? He landed a franchise QB. To me that is how you start building a franchise. 32 GM's would probably agree with that. Next, you try to add a franchise LT tackle to keep people off his back. Not only did he do that, he also found a franchise RT in the process. Lock down CB? He found the best in the game and acquired him.

Along came quality weapons like Brandon Marshall (back to back 100 catch season), Eddie Royal, Tony Scheffler, Chris Kuper, among others on offense.

On defense there were numerous attempts to fix what ailed us including drafts and trades since 2004. We traded Clinton Portis for Bailey and a 2nd round pick, eventually Tatum Bell. Anybody care to speculate on Bailey's status over that period? Bar-none the best CB in the game. We developed Al Wilson and drafted DJ Williams to complement him. We took numerous shots at the DL along in the process with attempting to sign FA's.

Shanahan wasn't perfect but it wasn't from a lack of effort. He tried every route to fill this roster with talent. Overall his past 6 drafts broken down by position:

QB's:3 (1st round on Jay Cutler)
HB's: 5 (Including Tatum Bell in the 2nd round, Clarett in the 3rd)
WR's: 4 (Including 2 second rounders, Watts and Royal)
OL: 9 (1st round picks George Foster/Ryan Clady, 3rd round pick Ryan Harris)
DL: 8 (1st round pick Jarvis Moss, 2nd round picks Tim Crowder, 4th round picks Elvis Dumervil/Marcus Thomas)
LB: 3 (1st round pick DJ Williams, 2nd round pick Terry Peirce)
DB: 7 (2nd round picks Darent Williams, 3rd round picks D. Foxworth, K Paymah)

I'm sort of at a loss for how Shanahan failed to try and construct a proper team. Seems to me his sources were spread evenly in the breakdown just listed. He devoted 1st round picks to every position outside of HB, WR, and DB over his final 6 drafts... hardly our problem areas. If anything he was more or less a victim of bad luck (Wilson breaking his neck, DWill getting kileld) and a propensity to give people 2nd chances probably when they didn't deserve it.... (TRAVIS HENRY/DARYL GARDENER/MAURICE CLARETT)

Now one can complain that he was a poor talent evaluator but two the last three drafts have been spectacular and they were trending up in that regard.

IF allowed, they probably could had another great draft this past April, trying to fix a defense that had fallen on tough times and a lack of TO's. Let us not forget that our two best defenders, Champ Bailey and DJ Williams missed a bunch of games last year.

With the cash we had this offseason we probably still make some of the same moves in free agency. I wouldn't doubt that Dawkins would be in our secondary right now. I could see us attempting to sign Hill, possibly Goodman if we would have moved Bly. Hell, we probably try harder to sign an impact front 7 player like Bart Scott. We had 30 million under the cap to play with.

Armed with the 12th overall selection we probably still dip into the deep pool of defensive linemen. Chances are we probably still take a guy like Ayers, a versatile pass rushing physical style defender. Brian Cushing would have also been a possibility giving our LB's better depth. He could have manned the Sam, DJ at the Mike and Wesley Woodyard at the Will.

In round 2 or 3 we could have answered our HB/safety problems. LeSean McCoy and Shawn Greene were two guys I had on my radar that made a lot of sense. McBath and William Moore were both available in round 2. I projected McCoy similarly to Clinton Portis coming out and he would have been a great fit in our ZBS. He was also great catching the ball. We would have also had Torain and Hillis coming back from injury as well.

Bottom line is this draft was deep and the FO which was steadily improving could have layered the front 7/safety/HB with more selections that would have at least help us get to a respectable level in a few seasons. I stand by my comparison that we could have been playing similar to Indianapolis in a few seasons. We could have had a dominant passing attack featuring Marshall, Royal, Scheffler and Graham while our ZBS with healthy HB's could have led our team back into the top 10 of rushing. I hate Slowik but it must be argued that while his defense sucks, his overall lack of talent and injuries killed any chance for him to have success. Continued development by Marcus Thomas, Elvis Dumervil, Tim Crowder, Moss(?) along with Carlton Powell could have seen the defensive line get better and better.

Instead Bowlen f'd up the situation, ditched Shanahan, scrapped Cutler and now we're starting at ground zero. Our most explosive offensive skill player wants out and the defense is a mosh posh of mismatched parts which probably won't perform any better than it did last year. In the process he doubly screwed our future by letting the idiot, underage HC trade away our future number one pick which will eventually prolong the ****tyness we're about to engage upon.

Bright future ahead for our franchise.

Mr.Meanie
06-15-2009, 02:06 PM

you're kidding, right? horrible idea.

TonyR
06-15-2009, 02:06 PM
I would

Me too. Horrible deal for the Broncos. No way and no thanks.

TheReverend
06-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Harris isnt an NT and would be a waste of his talents. And i'd rather kill myself than see Cutler and Marshall together again Horrible idea. JUST SIGN BRANDON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And he weighs too little.

But I could give 2 ****s. Have you seen the leverage the guy plays with? He can do it, np.

bpc
06-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Marshall for a second rounder? WHat kind of ****ing joke is that?

I'd take a 2nd rounder and be happy about it. This rebuilding process was set in affect when McDaniels decided he wanted Cassel to run the show. Now we might as well buy into it and start developing for the future. We won't be winning anything any time soon.

vancejohnson82
06-15-2009, 02:13 PM
And he weighs too little.

But I could give 2 ****s. Have you seen the leverage the guy plays with? He can do it, np.

I agree Rev..

He's not your typical 3-4 NT (like Kris Jenkins) but with the motor (uggh, i hate using that term) Harris has and the way he plays the game he could pull it off

but, if we get rid of Marshall, we better get a defense on the field that can hold opponents under 20 ppg because we arent scoring

Popcorn Sutton
06-15-2009, 02:13 PM

Wow, that would be awful.

watermock
06-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Another good point. This hating on McD and bending over backwards to blame him for everything is getting older and sillier by the minute.

Hardly bening over backwards.Even I didn't see the extent of his incompetence.

He's mangaged so many things utterly idiotic it's sad.

HE'S supposed to be the bright one.

lostknight
06-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Bottom line is that the front office needs to fix this. They are letting players have far too much control, and for that matter, letting the coach have far too much control.

It makes sense to keep the offense as intact as possible. They fubbered that already, but let's not make it any worse.

TheReverend
06-15-2009, 02:18 PM
I agree Rev..

He's not your typical 3-4 NT (like Kris Jenkins) but with the motor (uggh, i hate using that term) Harris has and the way he plays the game he could pull it off

but, if we get rid of Marshall, we better get a defense on the field that can hold opponents under 20 ppg because we arent scoring

Not until we decide to explore some real linebackers...

PS. We aren't scoring anyways, dude.

lex
06-15-2009, 02:24 PM
This is why it's difficult to have a discussion with you. You take one minor point (redzone in this case) and argue against that, rather than address the broader argument that I was making in my post. Myopia my ass.

Ignoring that we've drafted horribly defensively (esp. in the higher rounds) over the past half dozen years is myopic. To ignore the mediocre trend since AFC Championship game is myopic. To ignore (or excuse) our mediocre redzone rate (if Pittman's the answer, I'm not sure I like the question) is myopic. To ignore the continual failure to address special team play for a half dozen years is myopic. To ignore our failure to bring in quality FA for how many number of years is myopic. And worst, pointing to two offensive loaded drafts as the singular point of hope for the direction of our franchise, when our offense isn't necessarily the problem is bat-**** blind.

Im touched. But to be fair, I dont think your reply perfectly dovetailed with my post either.

cousinal11
06-15-2009, 02:26 PM
I don't see Arizona or Cleveland trading one headache for another, especially when our headache has serious off-the-field issues and a bad hip.

I don't want any part of trading Marshall unless we get a top-10 caliber wideout in return.

Bronx33
Woodworking smack talk?

gyldenlove
If he puts his name on the dotted line and it has verbiage that says he can renegotiate if his performance exceeds the specified clauses, then yes, he can do what he's trying to do now.

As for the team, that's an entirely different conversation.

Why? the team signs the bottom line just like the player.

TheReverend
I don't see Arizona or Cleveland trading one headache for another, especially when our headache has serious off-the-field issues and a bad hip.

I don't want any part of trading Marshall unless we get a top-10 caliber wideout in return.

AZ doesn't have a headache.

TheReverend
06-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Woodworking smack talk?

I'll bevel your edges if you sand down my hardwood.

cutthemdown
06-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Just ask Marshal what he thinks he is worth, then say get another team to ay you that and give us a first round pick, and send him on his way.

TheReverend
06-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Just ask Marshal what he thinks he is worth, then say get another team to ay you that and give us a first round pick, and send him on his way.

I can't wait till this hits the NFL Top 10s on NFLN when they do a "Worst Off-season Ever". I think we crack #1 if we trade Brandon too.

lex
06-15-2009, 02:31 PM

Just ask Pat what the Denver Broncos are worth and then point out the fact that the fanbase doesnt exist as a source of Pat Bowlen welfare. The Broncos didnt increase in value because Pat has Bob Kraft envy.

lex
06-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Woodworking smack talk?

I can traverse a variety of topics when carving up the smack talk. Any topic, any milieu.

cousinal11
06-15-2009, 02:35 PM
AZ doesn't have a headache.

I'm a huge Boldin fan. Fast, strong as an ox, goes over the middle, blocks, teammates love him,..the complete package for a WR if you ask me.

But, he's been demanding a new deal for what...almost 2 years now? Isn;t that a headache, albeit a small one?

Broncoman13
06-15-2009, 02:36 PM
you're kidding, right? horrible idea.

I guess you'd be happy with Eddie Royal, Jabbar Gaffney, and Brandon Stokley?

Berrian isn't ideal I agree. I'd much prefer a Braylon Edwards or Anquan Boldin. But that isn't going to happen. People are overvaluing BMarsh.

Berrian has avg'd 900 yards, 6 TDs and 15 ypc over the past three years. That is pretty good production and in a horrific passing offense the entire time!

Again, not ideal but it's not like a team is going to be willing to give up Andre Johnson or Steve Smith for Brandon Marshall.

We're in the running for guys like Berrian b/c Marshall has two strikes against him and is injured on top of that!

Bronx33
I can traverse a variety of topics when carving up the smack talk. Any topic, any milieu.

Do you drink tea with your pinky sticking up?

lex
I'm a huge Boldin fan. Fast, strong as an ox, goes over the middle, blocks, teammates love him,..the complete package for a WR if you ask me.

But, he's been demanding a new deal for what...almost 2 years now? Isn;t that a headache, albeit a small one?

Admit it. You think he's cute, dont you?

cousinal11
06-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Admit it. You think he's cute, dont you?

I think it may have moved.

Jason in LA
06-15-2009, 02:39 PM
So when was the last good story to come out of Denver in regards to the Broncos? This offseason has been one bad story after another. This is just crazy.

(Anyone else notice that all the bad things happened when the boob tread was moved? Three game losing streak to miss the playoffs, coach gets fired, star QB gets traded, a bunch of other bad stories, and now star WR wants out too. So I thought this new direction was supposed to be better. I'm just saying ;D)

lex
06-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Do you drink tea with your pinky sticking up?

Usually with my left hand, unless Im in Turkey.

rbackfactory80
06-15-2009, 02:40 PM
This has to do with one thing only. Jay Cutler made him locking on to him option after option. He knows he will get half the looks at most decreasing his payday next year when he is up for it. He won't have a higher value then he has now. This is pathetic and it shows how much this chump believes in himself. He knows he is one arrest away and needs to collect. He is a joke and this has been said by many here for years now. This doesn't shock me or most on this board at all.

TheReverend
06-15-2009, 02:40 PM

He's been demanding it for good reason. There was a mutual understanding when his last deal got done that it would be redone when Fitz got his extension.

The headache hasn't been Anquan, it's been a lack of money.

Broncoman13
06-15-2009, 02:41 PM

I would be okay sending both Marshall and Scheffler for Boldin... but why would the Cards do that? They don't want to pay big money to Boldin, why would they want to pay big money to Marshall?

They are one of the few teams that make sense. Sadly, the Bengals make sense too. If they would give up Ocho Stinko and an early pick, I would probably be okay with it.

I really don't like the idea of Royal, Gaffney, and Stokley.

lex
06-15-2009, 02:41 PM
This has to do with one thing only. Jay Cutler made him locking on to him option after option. He knows he will get half the looks at most decreasing his payday next year when he is up for it. He won't have a higher value then he has now. This is pathetic and it shows how much this chump believes in himself. He knows he is one arrest away and needs to collect. He is a joke and this has been said by many here for years now. This doesn't shock me or most on this board at all.

No. Fewer catches doesnt necessarily mean fewer yards, if they run that Welker screen to Royal 20 times a game like NE did with Welker.

bronco militia
06-15-2009, 02:43 PM
He's been demanding it for good reason. There was a mutual understanding when his last deal got done that it would be redone when Fitz got his extension.

The headache hasn't been Anquan, it's been a lack of money.

yeah..the Cardinals are the Cheapest Bastards in the NFL

cousinal11
06-15-2009, 02:43 PM
I would be okay sending both Marshall and Scheffler for Boldin... but why would the Cards do that? They don't want to pay big money to Boldin, why would they want to pay big money to Marshall?

They are one of the few teams that make sense. Sadly, the Bengals make sense too. If they would give up Ocho Stinko and an early pick, I would probably be okay with it.

I really don't like the idea of Royal, Gaffney, and Stokley.

I agree. That's the point I was trying to make in my op.

broncofan2438
06-15-2009, 02:44 PM
So when was the last good story to come out of Denver in regards to the Broncos? This offseason has been one bad story after another. This is just crazy.

(Anyone else notice that all the bad things happened when the boob tread was moved? Three game losing streak to miss the playoffs, coach gets fired, star QB gets traded, a bunch of other bad stories, and now star WR wants out too. So I thought this new direction was supposed to be better. I'm just saying ;D)

No kidding....kinda depressing to be a Bronco fan these days. Whats to get excited for? Another trade? Wooohooo

I'm just saying to, I know people are going to jump down my throat

Bronx33
06-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Usually with my left hand, unless Im in Turkey.

Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer?