PDA

View Full Version : Orton making strides/Ayers tidbit...

Popps
06-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Maybe a repost, but it's slow.

Mostly stuff we've read, but worth a look:

http://www.indenvertimes.com/2009/06/14/orton-making-strides-marshall-stepping-back/

My favorite tidbits...

Orton was much crisper than Simms during the team’s previous practices and was obviously excited about the opportunity. Simms quelled all concerns about a looming controversy by calling Orton “underrated,” and “smart . . . with a lot of plusses.”

Classy move by Simms. Again, following a theme. I think we're very lucky to have this guy, and I think he'll end up the best back-up QB we've had in Denver in a very long time.

Two interceptions were returned for scores after his coronation, although it’s promising that one of them was picked by rookie Robert Ayers. Ayers is reportedly learning to play along the line at defensive end on first and second down, then moving to linebacker on third down.

Again, crushing the notion that we've done "nothing to address the D-line."
We went almost a decade without selecting the best DE prospect in a draft. Nolan and Co. took exactly one draft to do so.

Ayers taking snaps on the D-line almost ensures that we'll see three completely new starters on the D-line, and potentially every single position in the front seven being manned by someone new, or someone moving to a new position.

So much for the "not shaking up the front seven" theory, huh?

Judging by the last personal meeting among Bowlen, McDaniels and a high-profile member of the team, there’s a good chance Marshall could end up skipping practices in another city, although it’s nearly impossible. Losing Marshall at this point would be a huge blow to the projected success of Orton, who has to be ecstatic over the chance to throw to actual receivers.

Marshall’s absence is particularly puzzling considering he recently learned he wouldn’t be disciplined by the NFL for his recent legal troubles.

I can't figure out what the writer meant by that line, considering how the next line read.

Agree with the last comment, though. Brandon had a chance to put things behind him and go make a statement on the field and likely earn a quick extension. Yet, in Brandon-fashion, seems to want to **** it up.

I really believe the staff likes this guy, but I also believe that everyone has their breaking point. It's just one side-show after another with this ****-brain. Shanahan didn't extend him, either... and it's pretty obvious why.

BigPlayShay
06-15-2009, 12:00 AM
[I]Judging by the last personal meeting among Bowlen, McDaniels and a high-profile member of the team, there’s a good chance Marshall could end up skipping practices in another city, although it’s nearly impossible. Losing Marshall at this point would be a huge blow to the projected success of Orton, who has to be ecstatic over the chance to throw to actual receivers.

I think the writer is trying to say that based on what happened with Cuter that there is a good chance Marshall could be traded. The writer is then implying Marshall would holdout in whatever city he ends up in. Certainly not well written.

ZONA
06-15-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm getting pumped for some actual games. I still think this transition year will provide many stiff bumps in the road but I think we are going to see a more balanced team and I for one can't wait to see how not only our new QB does but how this 3-4 defense shapes up.

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Nobody ever had that theory, knucklehead ...

Good news is, I think you would really blossom and thrive in a totalitarian state :thumbs:

Popps
06-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Nobody ever had that theory, knucklehead ...

Not surprisingly, you haven't done your homework.

Better read around a bit, you old hag.

Popps
06-15-2009, 12:37 AM
I'm getting pumped for some actual games. I still think this transition year will provide many stiff bumps in the road but I think we are going to see a more balanced team and I for one can't wait to see how not only our new QB does but how this 3-4 defense shapes up.

I can't even wait to see scrimmage footage. This is as exciting of an off-season as we've had in a long time. Not without bumps in the road, as you said... but very exciting.

I've seen 30 Broncos off-seasons and few have had me as pumped up for the future as this one has. These are wholesale franchise changes that were desperately needed.

BroncoInSkinland
06-15-2009, 04:43 AM
Two interceptions were returned for scores after his coronation, although it’s promising that one of them was picked by rookie Robert Ayers. Ayers is reportedly learning to play along the line at defensive end on first and second down, then moving to linebacker on third down.

I agree, thats encouraging, any word on what scheme they are in on 1st and 2nd? 3-4 or 4-3? Oh, and as far as shaking up the front 7 goes, I think you infered some there, incorrectly. I can't speak for everyone, but my concerns are the lack of quality personel we got. Ayers was a throw me a bone type move, and when they had him at OLB it wasn't even that really. This is some progress though, good to see it.

Hulamau
06-15-2009, 05:37 AM
Do we even have a starting date for Training camp yet?? ... need to mark it on the calendar and stock up on enough heroin to tide me over till then 8')

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 05:56 AM
Not surprisingly, you haven't done your homework.

Better read around a bit, you old hag.

Old hag? ROFL!

Yet again, your anger outreaches your knowledge. Everybody and their dog knows we "shook up" the front seven, don't kid yourself. The concerns raised are that we haven't IMPROVED the front seven sufficiently to make our defense even mediocre.

There's a difference of course between "shake up" and "improve." You old geezer.

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 06:04 AM
Oh, and as far as shaking up the front 7 goes, I think you infered some there, incorrectly. I can't speak for everyone, but my concerns are the lack of quality personel we got. Ayers was a throw me a bone type move, and when they had him at OLB it wasn't even that really. This is some progress though, good to see it.

Trying to fit these guys into pre-defined slots has been frustrating ... Josh said on draft day that Ayers "plays bigger than his size." So if he plays bigger than his 275, you gotta figure DE. And Darrell Reid ... a 288 pound linebacker? That doesn't seem right. My take is that Nolan has widely varying sets, such that normal labels don't apply.

Two names consistently missing in these recent stories: Marcus Thomas and Jarvis Moss.

Br0nc0Buster
06-15-2009, 06:19 AM
Do we even have a starting date for Training camp yet?? ... need to mark it on the calendar and stock up on enough heroin to tide me over till then 8')

July 30th

Br0nc0Buster
06-15-2009, 06:20 AM
Trying to fit these guys into pre-defined slots has been frustrating ... Josh said on draft day that Ayers "plays bigger than his size." So if he plays bigger than his 275, you gotta figure DE. And Darrell Reid ... a 288 pound linebacker? That doesn't seem right. My take is that Nolan has widely varying sets, such that normal labels don't apply.

Two names consistently missing in these recent stories: Marcus Thomas and Jarvis Moss.

Well Thomas is the backup NT, and Moss sucks

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 06:39 AM
Well Thomas is the backup NT, and Moss sucks

I hear you there ... but there's not much of a track record for any of these new guys.

Broncoman13
06-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Maybe a repost, but it's slow.

Mostly stuff we've read, but worth a look:

http://www.indenvertimes.com/2009/06/14/orton-making-strides-marshall-stepping-back/

My favorite tidbits...

Orton was much crisper than Simms during the team’s previous practices and was obviously excited about the opportunity. Simms quelled all concerns about a looming controversy by calling Orton “underrated,” and “smart . . . with a lot of plusses.”

Classy move by Simms. Again, following a theme. I think we're very lucky to have this guy, and I think he'll end up the best back-up QB we've had in Denver in a very long time.

Again, crushing the notion that we've done "nothing to address the D-line."
We went almost a decade without selecting the best DE prospect in a draft. Nolan and Co. took exactly one draft to do so.

Ayers taking snaps on the D-line almost ensures that we'll see three completely new starters on the D-line, and potentially every single position in the front seven being manned by someone new, or someone moving to a new position.

Judging by the last personal meeting among Bowlen, McDaniels and a high-profile member of the team, there’s a good chance Marshall could end up skipping practices in another city, although it’s nearly impossible. Losing Marshall at this point would be a huge blow to the projected success of Orton, who has to be ecstatic over the chance to throw to actual receivers.

Marshall’s absence is particularly puzzling considering he recently learned he wouldn’t be disciplined by the NFL for his recent legal troubles.

I can't figure out what the writer meant by that line, considering how the next line read.

Agree with the last comment, though. Brandon had a chance to put things behind him and go make a statement on the field and likely earn a quick extension. Yet, in Brandon-fashion, seems to want to **** it up.

I really believe the staff likes this guy, but I also believe that everyone has their breaking point. It's just one side-show after another with this ****-brain. Shanahan didn't extend him, either... and it's pretty obvious why.

Agree, Classy move by Simms. We would have had the best backup in Denver in a long time either way... Simms or Orton. Problem is, both of them are back up material when compared to most NFL QBs... even Rex Grossman and Brian Griese.

Ayers the best DE prospect in the draft huh... I think Tyson Jackson is laughing his way to the bank at that notion. Orakpo is clearly superior as well. In truth, we were hoping for Jackson or Raji to fall to us, didn't happen. We passed on Orakpo and clearly favored Ayers, so I do take some comfort in that.

That last line could mean a number of things. I think it's probably meant as he could certainly be traded and his next team will have to worry about his contract situation. Or, it could mean that BMarsh will return to Florida and continue his holdout from the Denver Broncos in a city away from Denver.

As for the staff liking Marshall... yep, they do. But this is just one of the guys that Cutler was talking about when he said there would be future issues with how the staff was treating players. You're seeing it in other cities as well. Mangini is having similar problems. I think of it as a purging process. Too bad we have to purge our best players.