PDA

View Full Version : The New Marshall Plan: Trade Him

Bob's your Information Minister
06-14-2009, 05:38 PM
The New Marshall Plan: Trade Him

http://profootball.scout.com/2/872248.html

Ed Thompson says that Broncos owner Pat Bowlen needs a new Marshall plan and should ship the team's star receiver elsewhere while he still has some trade value.

For the good of the team, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen should jettison his star wide receiver, Brandon Marshall, while he still has some market value.

After skipping the team's mandatory workouts this past week, Marshall was reportedly spotted carrying boxes out to his car following a meeting with Bowlen. Rumors have been circulating for some time that the fourth-year receiver, who is still rehabbing from off-season hip surgery, would like a new contract.

Bowlen recently told ESPN that he and Marshall are on good terms, saying, "I'm very keen on having Brandon play for the Broncos."

While I respect Pat Bowlen and what he's accomplished through his franchise, that simply doesn't make sense to me. He should be putting the irresponsible fourth-year player on the trading block to avoid any more damage to the team's public image and brand.

If it's true that Marshall wants a new deal that would pay him as well as the league's other top receivers, that's simply ridiculous and really bad timing.

By entering into a new contract with Marshall now, Denver would be gambling big bucks on a player who, in just three short years:

* Has been ordered to get anger management counseling in exchange for having false imprisonment and domestic violence charges dropped.

* Has been sentenced to a year of probation after avoiding a likely DUI conviction by entering a guilty plea to driving while ability-impaired (after being pulled over with a reported blood-alcohol level of 0.116 in a state where the legal limit is 0.08).

* Still has two counts of simple battery charges pending due to alleged violence against former-girlfriend Rasheedah Watley

* Was suspended by the league for three games in 2008 (which was later reduced to one game after he complied with league requirements that included more counseling).

* Was arrested in March along with Michi Nogami-Campbell -- just weeks after they were engaged -- by an off-duty police officer who reportedly saw the pair hitting and kicking each other in public.

Here's what the Pro Bowl receiver had to say about his latest brush with the law.

"The judge, the next day, he had the police report, he had all the facts in front of him." Marshall said during a recently televised ESPN interview. "He looked at it and saw that there was no wrong-doing, it was simply an argument, and they got it wrong."

Simply an argument? So the officer didn't see them hitting and kicking each other or Marshall pinning the woman up against a wall? Well, either the officer needs to get glasses and apologize to the Broncos receiver, or Marshall needs to understand that an argument is a verbal exchange, not a physical one.

By other accounts, the charges of disorderly conduct were dropped after both Marshall and Michi Nogami-Campbell refused to press charges against each other, not because the police "got it wrong" as Marshall suggested.

But maybe that's just the lens through which he sees the world, constantly putting his spin on incidents when his life spins out of control. After all, over the past few years he's had to talk with police officers following run-ins with two different women, his father, an off-duty police officer in a restaurant, and during his arrest as a DUI suspect. Yet through it all, Marshall seems to miss the point that the common denominator in all of his problems has been him.

During his interview with ESPN, Marshall repeatedly shuffled through a stack of papers as though he was seeking a prepared answer to some of the questions being posed. That hit me as odd since he was involved in every single incident. If he wanted to be on camera to simply tell the truth, why did he need to keep referring to those papers?

While I'd be surprised if his former girlfriend has been completely honest about what has transpired between the pair, Marshall brought his honesty further into doubt when he was asked about one specific incident where he allegedly blocked the taxi cab of his former girlfriend with his own vehicle and then pounded on the windows angrily, prompting her to call 911 for help. Her version of the story was reportedly backed up by the cab driver.

Marshall hesitated a few seconds before replying to the question about whether or not he had pounded on the windows. Then he looked into the camera and claimed that he had "tapped" on the window to get the cab driver's attention because the woman had his cell phone and he wanted it back.

Right. And that's why he agreed to go to anger management counseling after the incident in exchange for having the false imprisonment and domestic violence charges dropped. That tapping on windows can be pretty scary stuff.

While the league office opted not to suspend Marshall for his most recent arrest, you may want to jot down his reaction to that decision. I have a feeling these words will be coming back to haunt him, especially if he and his bride-to-be can't find a more civil way to "argue" than they did in Atlanta.

"Getting straight to the point, I understand that there can't be any more hiccups from me. With that said, I guarantee, repeat, I guarantee there won't be any more from this day forward," Marshall reportedly told Denver radio station KDVR. "I'm thankful to the league and their findings today, but this is also a continuance of me looking into the mirror and growing into the man I know I should be."

Former Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler realized that Marshall's immaturity was a big problem for the team last year, sharing his candid thoughts with the media after the receiver sustained a very serious cut that severed tendons in his arm. Marshall claimed that he had fallen into a television set while fooling around with his brother, an incident that he referenced as a wake-up call.

"He's had many wakeup calls," Cutler said last April. "I mean, he's been in [head coach Mike] Shanahan's office many times. I've been up there with him. He said the same thing, 'this is a wakeup call, this is the last thing that's going to happen. Blah blah blah.' I mean, until he goes out and proves it, we'll see what happens."

While Cutler didn't particularly think that Marshall was a bad person, "It's just something about him. He's always into something," he said.

With all the distraction and negative publicity that Marshall has brought to the Broncos organization in just three short years, Bowlen should tell the team's general manager, Brian Xanders, to make a few phone calls this week and find the most advantageous way to banish the receiver from Denver. The damage that Marshall has done to the team through choices he's made have tarnished an otherwise highly-respected organization. Continuing to ignore his repeated off-the-field problems sends a message that the team's public image is worth less than the allure of another 100-catch season.

And that's a shame.

Marshall isn't likely to catch 100 passes with Kyle Orton at quarterback anyway. And having him run routes along with squeaky-clean types like Eddie Royal and Brandon Stokley magnifies the difference between Marshall and the kind of people and players the Broncos organization usually tries to showcase.

Bowlen should raise his team's conduct standard to reflect the league's personal conduct policy that states: "It is not enough simply to avoid being found guilty of a crime. Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the league is based, and is lawful. Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime."

That statement is pretty clear. I don't see an asterisk or waiver for a player like Marshall just because he has caught 226 passes for 2,899 yards and 15 touchdowns during his three-year career. And rather than waiting to see if the league will slap Marshall with more penalties after his pending assault trial, Bowlen should make a statement to everyone associated with the organization that they have no room on their roster for players who are magnets for trouble. The distractions to the team and the damage to the team's brand isn't worth it.

Bowlen could also send a message to Marshall that might help him turn his life around, much like the Vikings did when they traded malcontent Randy Moss to the hapless Oakland Raiders a few years ago. Moss withered into anonymity in Oakland, leaving him pining for a better opportunity. And when he finally got it through a trade to New England, Moss became a better person and player. He had obviously learned a valuable life lesson during his exile.

Xanders' first phone calls for potential trade partners should be Detroit and St. Louis, a pair of rebuilding teams that won a combined total of two games last year. If Marshall does believe that he's worth more than the nearly $2.2 million he's scheduled to earn this year -- despite all of his baggage -- let him prove it with one of those teams.

Some of the other teams who might be willing put an attractive offer on the table for Marshall are the New York Jets, the Cleveland Browns, the Baltimore Ravens and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Earlier this year, Jay Cutler was traded after showing his disdain and lack of trust in the Broncos' new head coach, Josh McDaniels. Rumors indicated that McDaniels was willing to swap Cutler in a multi-team deal that would have brought Matt Cassel to Denver, and Cutler took exception to the notion in a very public forum. Bowlen responded appropriately and boldly as the team worked out a trade with the Chicago Bears, eliminating a huge distraction for his club this year.

And that's what makes his hesitance to part ways with Marshall even more puzzling.

Bowlen would be wise to move Marshall now while he still has some perceived trade value. Because after Marshall's next screw-up, Denver's pool of potential trade partners will shrink even further.

Los Broncos
06-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Seems like the writing is on the wall.

Orange Blood
06-14-2009, 05:44 PM
This is what I think of Ed Thompson's story :chefstink

Broncoman13
06-14-2009, 05:44 PM
BMarsh for Braylon Edwards???

Gcver2ver3
06-14-2009, 05:45 PM
i was just reading this on chiefs planet...

the article has some good points...

Cmac821
06-14-2009, 05:45 PM
but...but...I have an autograph drawing of him, with a certificate and a picture of him signing it.

ZachKC
06-14-2009, 05:52 PM
http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/nelson-muntz.gif

Orange Blood
06-14-2009, 05:56 PM

you

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2889/313006613smayvfph.jpg (http://img37.imageshack.us/i/313006613smayvfph.jpg/)

elsid13
06-14-2009, 06:01 PM
"During his interview with ESPN, Marshall repeatedly shuffled through a stack of papers as though he was seeking a prepared answer to some of the questions being posed. That hit me as odd since he was involved in every single incident. If he wanted to be on camera to simply tell the truth, why did he need to keep referring to those papers?"

If I remember correct Marshall was actually trying to pull the papers from the pile that showed the ex-girlfriend wrote to the NFL stating that she wasn't abused by Marshall, but ESPN refused to show.

Bob's your Information Minister
06-14-2009, 06:04 PM

Schadenfreude.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Just sign him. I can be on board with shipping cutler out from his behavior, but im very wary of trading 2 of my 3 best players in the off season. Brandon Marshall is a beast. I want him on my team

Lolad
06-14-2009, 06:06 PM
The writer is obvisouly an idiot. We should look for model citizens on the denver broncos, they've proven to win teams championships.

broncogary
06-14-2009, 06:21 PM

Edwards can't catch. 8')

Popps
06-14-2009, 06:22 PM

They'd never do it, but I'd LOVE that deal. Hell yea. Edwards is a big-time talent. He's just got issues with drops. He still creates big problems for defenses and if he could regain his confidence, he's a top 10 WR, easily.

Popps
06-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Earlier this year, Jay Cutler was traded after showing his disdain and lack of trust in the Broncos' new head coach, Josh McDaniels. Rumors indicated that McDaniels was willing to swap Cutler in a multi-team deal that would have brought Matt Cassel to Denver, and Cutler took exception to the notion in a very public forum. Bowlen responded appropriately and boldly as the team worked out a trade with the Chicago Bears, eliminating a huge distraction for his club this year

:thumbs:

Popps
06-14-2009, 06:27 PM
This is a really tough situation.

So tough, I find it hard to really pick a side, here. I've spoken out against the guy as a person, so I'm not a fan on that level. But, as a player, he's obviously important to this offense.

This is just such an utterly stupid move on Marshall's part. The guy could have gotten paid without doing this, and maybe he will.

I just hope for our sake, the contract gives us protection.

Anyone here (Eddie Mac?) know what kind of provisions can be written in to safe-guard clubs against suspensions, etc?

BroncoMan4ever
06-14-2009, 06:41 PM
This is a really tough situation.

So tough, I find it hard to really pick a side, here. I've spoken out against the guy as a person, so I'm not a fan on that level. But, as a player, he's obviously important to this offense.

This is just such an utterly stupid move on Marshall's part. The guy could have gotten paid without doing this, and maybe he will.

I just hope for our sake, the contract gives us protection.

Anyone here (Eddie Mac?) know what kind of provisions can be written in to safe-guard clubs against suspensions, etc?

the Cowboys did something like that when they brought in TO. not for off field problems, but for situations where he becomes detrimental to the team, that they would have been allowed to release him without any penalty or further money owed to him.

i seem to remember it being a 3 year contract, with club options after each season, that basically made it 3 separate 1 year deals which safeguarded the franchise against his actions.

footstepsfrom#27
06-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Bowlen recently told ESPN that he and Marshall are on good terms, saying, "I'm very keen on having Brandon play for the Broncos."
So long Brandon...good luck.

boltaneer
06-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Once again, whether he writes it himself or not, Bob posts garbage.

Like I said in another thread, why do the Broncos have to rush to get Marshall signed? They can tag him next year or he'll be restricted if a new CBA deal isn't reached.

The Broncos don't have to worry about a long term deal for two years so they have time to evaluate how the dumb ass matures by then.

If they trade him or give him a new contract before the season starts, then McDaniels and company are bigger idiots than people already perceive him to be around here.

oubronco
06-14-2009, 07:38 PM

:TJnPopps:

DenverBrit
06-14-2009, 07:40 PM
The Broncos will have to pay big money for any #1 receiver, so at least wait until he can pass a physical and then talk about a contract.

I seriously doubt anything will happen until then, unless they can agree on a contract that is incentive laden, and has medical/suspension caveats......which have probably already been discussed with BM and his agent.

Popps
06-14-2009, 07:42 PM
the Cowboys did something like that when they brought in TO. not for off field problems, but for situations where he becomes detrimental to the team, that they would have been allowed to release him without any penalty or further money owed to him.

i seem to remember it being a 3 year contract, with club options after each season, that basically made it 3 separate 1 year deals which safeguarded the franchise against his actions.

If we could set something like this up, with a reasonable signing bonus, it would seem like the right thing to do.

A big part of the problem right now is... we don't know what he's demanding. (Or his agent.)

I also think that even IF the front office is ready to open up the checkbook, I doubt they want to do it under holdout circumstances.

Bronco Rob
06-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Jared Allen 14.5 sacks 2009 season

The entire kansas city cheefs defense 10.

;)

Popps
06-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Once again, whether he writes it himself or not, Bob posts garbage.

Like I said in another thread, why do the Broncos have to rush to get Marshall signed? They can tag him next year or he'll be restricted if a new CBA deal isn't reached.

The Broncos don't have to worry about a long term deal for two years so they have time to evaluate how the dumb ass matures by then.

If they trade him or give him a new contract before the season starts, then McDaniels and company are bigger idiots than people already perceive him to be around here.

The flip-side is, keep him around... he could potentially hold out and you have a stalemate. Add to that potential legal troubles and a continued sideshow that he's been for the last couple of years.

Your scenario would be fine if he was trouble-free and not holding out.

It's a trickier than you make it out to be.

DenverBrit
06-14-2009, 07:48 PM
i was just reading this on chiefs planet...

the article has some good points...

It does, and goes a long way to explaining why Bowlen isn't tripping over himself to shell out the 10 mill a year and a fat signing bonus.

footstepsfrom#27
A big part of the problem right now is... we don't know what he's demanding. (Or his agent.)
WE don't...but maybe PAT does know. Besides...what's the excuse on Wiegmann?

ZachKC
Jared Allen 14.5 sacks 2009 season

The entire kansas city cheefs defense 10.

;)

As terrible as that team was...all you could muster is a split season. From there one team has worked to improve the other has had a disastrous offseason. I will let you guess who is who.

robbieopperude
06-14-2009, 07:52 PM
I would only trade B.Marshall for two first round picks. If that is the value of Roy Williams to the Cowboys then that should be at least the value of B.Marshall to the Giants.

Bronco Rob
06-14-2009, 07:53 PM
As terrible as that team was...all you could muster is a split season. From there one team has worked to improve the other has had a disastrous offseason. I will let you guess who is who.

Did I mention the cheefs traded away their only offensive weapon Tony Gonzalez....

“What's past is prologue"

:-*

SoCalBronco
06-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Instead of getting angry....again....I'm going to try to just appreciate the comedic value of all of this.

Dedhed
06-14-2009, 07:58 PM

I was thinking Anquan Boldin.

ZachKC
06-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Instead of getting angry....again....I'm going to try to just appreciate the comedic value of all of this.

:thanku:

theAPAOps5
06-14-2009, 08:00 PM

Only person to be angry at this time is Marshall himself.

SoCalBronco
06-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Just sign him. I can be on board with shipping cutler out from his behavior, but im very wary of trading 2 of my 3 best players in the off season. Brandon Marshall is a beast. I want him on my team

Your logic doesn't make a whole lot of sense...but to each his own, I guess.

ZachKC
06-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Did I mention the cheefs traded away their only offensive weapon Tony Gonzalez....

“What's past is prologue"

:-*

Really? As bad as our team was last year when we beat you Tony had a few catches for 47 yards.

LJ however went for 198 yds and Bowe had a pretty good day at the office.

I have no idea how that could have happened since Tony was our only offensive weapon. The world may never know.

SoCalBronco
06-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Only person to be angry at this time is Marshall himself.

That might very well be true, and he certainly has had repeated issues...but I'm not angry, anyway. The Penguins just won the Cup and I am now at peace with the reality that our team is FUBAR, so I'm good.

Hogan11
06-14-2009, 08:04 PM
If he goes.....he goes.

Bronx33
06-14-2009, 08:07 PM
If he goes.....he goes.

But not cheap...

theAPAOps5
06-14-2009, 08:08 PM
That might very well be true, and he certainly has had repeated issues...but I'm not angry, anyway. The Penguins just won the Cup and I am now at peace with the reality that our team is FUBAR, so I'm good.

I meant to give you a shout. Everyone gave Detroit the Cup and the Penguins changed that. Awesome to see!

SoCalBronco
06-14-2009, 08:10 PM
I meant to give you a shout. Everyone gave Detroit the Cup and the Penguins changed that. Awesome to see!

I didn't think we could pull it off after we went down 3-2 to be honest, but obviously I'm really stoked we found a way to do it.

I look forward to seeing you in a few months. I'll be there from Aug 1 to Aug 8.

Hogan11
06-14-2009, 08:13 PM
But not cheap...

Of course get what we can...I'm just sick of him and his bullshat to the point that I don't care if he stays or goes anymore.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Your logic doesn't make a whole lot of sense...but to each his own, I guess.

The two situations aren't similar. Marshall is holding out for a bigger contract, which is hardly unique. When the owner asks to see him, he shows up. Cutler cried like a baby when he thought he was trying to get traded, and then continued to act like one for the entire month. Trust me, i wanted Cutler to stay, but he acted like a total ahole where i just didnt care anymore.

boltaneer
06-14-2009, 10:58 PM
The flip-side is, keep him around... he could potentially hold out and you have a stalemate. Add to that potential legal troubles and a continued sideshow that he's been for the last couple of years.

Your scenario would be fine if he was trouble-free and not holding out.

It's a trickier than you make it out to be.

If he were trouble-free, it would be a no-brainer. The Broncos would have happily given him a new contract already. That's why ownership cannot give in on this. It would set a bad precedent.

Well, the way I see it, no team is going to give up a lot for him because of the issues you bring up. If they want to dump him just to get rid of the distraction and drama, I can understand that point of view. The more talented you are, the longer leash you usually get though.

It's not exactly the same but this situation reminds me a bit of the Ocho Cinco situation. While Ocho doesn't get into trouble off the field, he's a total diva and distraction to that team and has been begging to be traded. I can't imagine that he was a good influence in that locker room for the past year or two. But ownership took a stand and Ocho has finally given up his trade requests though he still doesn't seem to fully get it, missing the voluntary workouts recently. But he seems to be saying the right things now and seems to be headed back in the right direction.

(That's my objective view. The homer in me is dying for him to get a fat contract extension tomorrow and gets in more off the field trouble and continues the Bronco off season circus.)

broncsyanks
06-14-2009, 11:21 PM
we trade him then we have very little chance. lol

Atlas
06-14-2009, 11:31 PM

You are the one that likes getting all the draft picks right? Here is a chance to get a 2nd rounder.

TheReverend
06-14-2009, 11:32 PM
we trade him then we have very little chance. lol

As opposed to the staggering juggernaut we'll be fielding in orange and blue every Sunday right now...

Broncos_OTM
06-15-2009, 12:28 AM
As terrible as that team was...all you could muster is a split season. From there one team has worked to improve the other has had a disastrous offseason. I will let you guess who is who. You have NO clue how this will turn out in Denver. I am on board with McD until he proves he cant. We could sy taking cassel was a HUGE risk almost as big of a risk as taking a 3/4 DE with the third over all pick ...Oh btw Good luck with glen dorsey as a 3-4 de

BroncoMan4ever
06-15-2009, 01:37 AM
You are the one that likes getting all the draft picks right? Here is a chance to get a 2nd rounder.

if all we can get is a 2nd for him, don;t even bother trading him.

we more than likely will have this season and next season to decide to give him a new deal. he is under contract this year, and depending on the CBA might be a restricted FA next season, that we can just give the maximum tender

make him play out his current deal, and if he gets his **** together and is healthy give him a new deal.

Killericon
06-15-2009, 02:32 AM
Tommie Harris and a 3rd for Brandon Marshall(HAH!). Sign Drew Bennett, call it a day.

OBF1
06-15-2009, 02:38 AM
Call me crazy, but didn't Marshall lead the NFL in dropped passes last season with like 19 or 20 of them???

FireFly
06-15-2009, 02:59 AM

In a heart beat.

Like Popps said, he needs to regain his confidence, but this is a system in which I believe he could and if he did he is a huge talent.

Plus, he doesn't have all baggage that comes with Marshall.

They'll never do it though. Browns would have to be stupid.

Mark my words, Brandon will get a new contract here; and it will be more than most of us think it should be.

FireFly
06-15-2009, 03:03 AM
Tommie Harris and a 3rd for Brandon Marshall(HAH!). Sign Drew Bennett, call it a day.

/signed.

Never going to happen in a million years, but hey :thumbsup:

Killericon
06-15-2009, 04:34 AM
/signed.

Never going to happen in a million years, but hey :thumbsup:

Somehow, I think the Bears might do it if that 3rd were on the other side of the deal.

Hulamau
06-15-2009, 05:21 AM
If we could set something like this up, with a reasonable signing bonus, it would seem like the right thing to do.

I also think that even IF the front office is ready to open up the checkbook, I doubt they want to do it under holdout circumstances.

That's what pisses me off. If his agent and Marshall had half a brain they would have waited until he is back on the field running routs and being a 'team player' .. then he would get paid before the season started ... really bad timing for holding out.

Now he's just another talented prima-donna with a me first attitude and not enough smarts to play his cards in a classy way and STILL get what he wants and deserves for his skills on the field.

Plus, this is a brand new coach, a brand new system and a brand new QB ... that's not at all like holding out in your 4th year where you have locked in chemistry with the QB and know the coach and system like the back of your hand....

He's being a real shortsighted idiot. Wish he would call Rod .. and actually listen for a change.

Cosmo
06-15-2009, 05:41 AM
While I agree that Marshall has his issues, this is a business.

-Marshall was misdiagnosed by Greek (I swear I don't know why he still has a job)
-Marshall made sure his past was behind him (No suspension).
-He has had 2 great years in a row.
-If you think he'll still get a suspension from the pending case that the commish already knew about, you're fooling yourself. He is out of the clear unless he does something new.
-Hold-outs are part of the game (much better than Cry-baby Cutler)
-Its only a freaking mini-camp and he can't run yet.
- I'd ask for more money too, who knows what kind of numbers he puts up under McD, again, this is a business and he is well underpaid.

Opinion shared, don't bother replying to my comments, I doubt I'd read what you think of my opinion.

BroncoInSkinland
06-15-2009, 05:59 AM

-Marshall was misdiagnosed by Greek (I swear I don't know why he still has a job)
-If you think he'll still get a suspension from the pending case that the commish already knew about, you're fooling yourself. He is out of the clear unless he does something new.
- I'd ask for more money too, who knows what kind of numbers he puts up under McD, again, this is a business and he is well underpaid.

Opinion shared, don't bother replying to my comments, I doubt I'd read what you think of my opinion.

Don't forget the uncapped year coming up. With the state of Bowlens finances, the uncapped year might mean some very low dollars. I disagree with Marshall for doing this how he has done it, and question the timing. I think it should have been done quietly, behind closed doors, without missing any mandatory activities (or with excused absences, he could have gone to McDaniels/Bowlen and indicated he had concerns about the medical staff and they probably would have let him seek other treatment options). Brandon risks an awful lot playing this season under his old contract with all the changes though. I can't blame the guy for looking out for his wallet, especially considering the production he has already given compared to the small amount we have paid him.

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 06:34 AM

Yes, on all counts. Two 100/1000 years in a row ... yeah, I'd be asking for a raise going into that last year of my deal. Bad time to lose another star player.

cousinal11
06-15-2009, 06:44 AM
I can certainly empathize with both sides here.

Brandon is coming off a pro bowl season, 2 years in a row with 100+ rec and 1000+ yards, and I think I read where he gets paid less than like 60 or so other wideouts. That's alot.

But, his track record off the field is well documented. Not only that, but he's had a case of the drops and comes with some injury concerns.

Bottom line - I know McDaniels is a system guy and probably feels like he can plug just about anybody in some positions, but wide reciever should not be one of them. See Moss, Randy and Welker, Wes.

If there is a way we can give this guy an extension, but not leave ourselves on the hook for a bunch of money if he does get in trouble again, we need to do it.

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 07:40 AM
But, his track record off the field is well documented. Not only that, but he's had a case of the drops and comes with some injury concerns.
Yes, but you can contract around those concerns.

He does deserves a big bump, and an incentive-filled couple seasons so he'll oush himself to learn the offense and maximize his touches. No way Pat lets this guy get away .... I can't believe how some guys are ready to cut ties with Marshall ... just like this article, it's a bad idea.

BroncoInSkinland
06-15-2009, 08:23 AM
No way Pat lets this guy get away .... I can't believe how some guys are ready to cut ties with Marshall ... just like this article, it's a bad idea.

I'm not sure on that just yet, a lot depends on what Marshall is asking for. If Marshall is trying to get a little compensation, and a little security in the event he has an off season in the coming (final year) of his contract, thats one thing. On the other hand if he is looking to be one of the top 5 paid WR's with his off the field track record, and his recent bout of drops it's a whole new game. If Marshall is using the teams current rocky off season as leverage to get a contract he hasn't earned, then I am 100% behind showing him the door. With the way this FO has handle things so far, I doubt that is the case though. Way to early to start throwing blame here, and it may turn into a nothing episode anyway, lets wait and see what happens...

tsiguy96
06-15-2009, 08:28 AM
everyone keeps whining about his drops, he had like 4 of them in one game, and he still has more receptions than damn near everyone else in the league (barring ~5-6 other guys)

quit whining about his performance, it has been nothing short of awesome. players going into the final year of their rookie contract often look for extensions, thats what hes doing, and hes earned every penny on the field. he just picked a bad time to ask.

Beantown Bronco
06-15-2009, 09:12 AM

Huh?

There's a chance he could be found guilty of these events that "the commish already knew about." If so, do you really think he'll just ignore it and not give him at least an 8 game suspension on top of whatever the courts dish out?

If that's what you think, it's you who is fooling yourself.

BroncoInSkinland
06-15-2009, 09:15 AM
everyone keeps whining about his drops, he had like 4 of them in one game, and he still has more receptions than damn near everyone else in the league (barring ~5-6 other guys)

quit whining about his performance, it has been nothing short of awesome. players going into the final year of their rookie contract often look for extensions, thats what hes doing, and hes earned every penny on the field. he just picked a bad time to ask.

Thanks for the insight into my thought process and character. I will work on that whole whining thing. Let's move on to your football takes and away from the personal attacks, even though they have been quite useful and productive.

I agree his performance has been awesome, and have said multiple other times that he deserves the money. I was giving reasons as to why the timing on this issue was questionable, and the drop statistics are one factor that contributes to that. Further, in the post directly above yours (which I assume you were responding to) I state that unless he is specifically using the Broncos current state of chaos as leverage to pad his contract beyond what he deserves, that the front office should pay him.

Are you arguing that he should be paid even if he is blackmailing the organization with more negative press during this off season? That was the only reason I said he should be shown the door, and it appears you disagree.

brncobrett
06-15-2009, 09:34 AM
I was thinking Anquan Boldin.

That is where it's at right there..Swap both players pay Boldin its a safer investment anyway. I'd rather give Boldin a big contract right now than Marshall..

tsiguy96
06-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the insight into my thought process and character. I will work on that whole whining thing. Let's move on to your football takes and away from the personal attacks, even though they have been quite useful and productive.

I agree his performance has been awesome, and have said multiple other times that he deserves the money. I was giving reasons as to why the timing on this issue was questionable, and the drop statistics are one factor that contributes to that. Further, in the post directly above yours (which I assume you were responding to) I state that unless he is specifically using the Broncos current state of chaos as leverage to pad his contract beyond what he deserves, that the front office should pay him.

Are you arguing that he should be paid even if he is blackmailing the organization with more negative press during this off season? That was the only reason I said he should be shown the door, and it appears you disagree.

he has not gone to the press a single time, hes holding out like tons of other players have this season, the denver press is not used to it and with an offseason already filled with drama, of course they are gonna blow it up.

he has outplayed his contract, unquestionably, and i really doubt he said give me money or ill go to the press like so many others, he just wants to get paid for the contract hes earned. just picked a really bad time to do it.

gyldenlove
06-15-2009, 09:48 AM
That is where it's at right there..Swap both players pay Boldin its a safer investment anyway. I'd rather give Boldin a big contract right now than Marshall..

Why would the Cardinals take a player who wants a new contract when they already have one? why not just give Boldin a new deal?

TonyR
06-15-2009, 09:48 AM
There's a chance he could be found guilty of these events that "the commish already knew about." If so, do you really think he'll just ignore it and not give him at least an 8 game suspension on top of whatever the courts dish out?

Exactly. And this, along with the health issues, is why you don't give him a new deal right now. When the legal troubles are behind him and he's received a clean bill of health then you do the deal and give the guy a much deserved raise. What more is there to discuss? Why are people having such a hard time figuring this out?

SonOfLe-loLang
06-15-2009, 09:50 AM

exactly. sign him. And sign him before he has another great year and then demands more

boppool
06-15-2009, 09:54 AM
This may sound crazy, but I think losing B-Marsh will be tougher than losing Cutler. At lease that's what McDaniels is thinking.

In his system, he doesn't need a top QB (see Cassel), but a top WR.

Welker is a fine player, but he thrives because of Moss on the other side, and Eddie Royal is our Welker.

I expect McDaniels to either sign him or at lease trade for a similar type guy, which would not be easy.

brncobrett
06-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Because Boldin has stated "he does not want to play for the Cardinals anymore". I'm not writing Brandon off but we have to look at what happens if it comes to this. The hypothetical discussion is always intriguing..

gyldenlove
06-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Don't forget the uncapped year coming up. With the state of Bowlens finances, the uncapped year might mean some very low dollars. I disagree with Marshall for doing this how he has done it, and question the timing. I think it should have been done quietly, behind closed doors, without missing any mandatory activities (or with excused absences, he could have gone to McDaniels/Bowlen and indicated he had concerns about the medical staff and they probably would have let him seek other treatment options). Brandon risks an awful lot playing this season under his old contract with all the changes though. I can't blame the guy for looking out for his wallet, especially considering the production he has already given compared to the small amount we have paid him.

The biggest risk Brandon is running aside from injury of course, is that he is going into a year with a QB who is not as good as the one he used to have, so there is a very real chance that he could see his numbers drop through no doing of his own.

He has a good point for negotiation right now, he has the 2nd most catches of any one over the last 2 years, a pro bowl appearance, 1000 yard seasons, if his numbers drop to 75 catches and 800 yards next year he is not going to be in line for nearly as big a contract.

With the uncertainty of the CBA coming into play as well, if the CBA is not extended he will be RFA in 2010, which means he will get a pretty small salary, we have seen that many teams are reluctant to give their RFAs long term deals. That means he would play 2 seasons under very low salaries and be in a worse position to negotiate when he is in line to become unrestricted. If a new CBA is negotiated there is a chance that the players will have to give up some cents to the dollar which would lead to smaller contracts, so his best chance of getting a big windfall is to cash in now.

I understand where he is coming from on this, plus the cost to him of sitting out the mandatory minicamp is minimal. He now has a month and a half before the beginning of camp to put pressure on before he has to decide how much money he is willing to cough up by sitting out during camp.

Lolad
06-15-2009, 09:58 AM

I dont understand your logic. Boldin would be asking for more money then Marshall he wants 9 million a year. Andre Johnson is getting paid 7.45 I see Brandon @ the 7 mark.

The fact that Boldin is older and is a locker room and on the field cancer. How people forget the game vs the eagles when he chewed out the coaches for not throwing him the damn ball. He's another TO

TheReverend
06-15-2009, 09:59 AM

It doesn't make that trade any less impossible.

TheReverend
06-15-2009, 10:01 AM
The fact that Boldin is older and is a locker room and on the field cancer. How people forget the game vs the eagles when he chewed out the coaches for not throwing him the damn ball. He's another TO

This is bar-none the dumbest statement I've ever read on the Orangemane.

brncobrett
06-15-2009, 10:04 AM

I agree how many times have you seen Brandon pout on the field cause he didn't get thown too? They all want the ball..So he yelled at the coach I can deal with that, better then beating girls left and right during the off season. Then putting your hand through an entertainment center? Who's worse?

Beantown Bronco
06-15-2009, 10:04 AM
This may sound crazy, but I think losing B-Marsh will be tougher than losing Cutler. At lease that's what McDaniels is thinking.

In his system, he doesn't need a top QB (see Cassel), but a top WR.

Welker is a fine player, but he thrives because of Moss on the other side, and Eddie Royal is our Welker.

Couldn't be more wrong here. They won their SBs pre-Moss and Welker. They won them with relative no-name WRs in fact. Were they good? Sure. Were there any superstar WRs? Nope.

Troy Brown, Deion Branch and David Givens and Co. were hardly striking fear in the hearts of DBs around the league.

vancejohnson82
06-15-2009, 10:05 AM

Anquan Boldin could not be any more polar opposite of TO

this is a guy that would basically run his route through rings of fire if he had to....he would probably blindside block one of his own children if it could get the RB an extra three yards...

Broncoman13
06-15-2009, 10:07 AM
he has not gone to the press a single time, hes holding out like tons of other players have this season, the denver press is not used to it and with an offseason already filled with drama, of course they are gonna blow it up.

he has outplayed his contract, unquestionably, and i really doubt he said give me money or ill go to the press like so many others, he just wants to get paid for the contract hes earned. just picked a really bad time to do it.

This. I like the way BMarsh is handling this. The timing, yeah, it is questionable no doubt. But how would you feel if your level of confidence in a team's ability to diagnose injuries was questionable at best. He shows up and plays now and gets injured (badly) in 2009 and he won't get a new contract. The Broncos would be smart to give him an incentive laden contract short on signing bonuses and guranteed money, but with protections for injuries and incentives that BMarsh can reach fairly easily.

Looks something like this:

Base Salary. $1,000,000 in 2009 and 2010. $3,000,000 in 2011 and 2012. $5,000,000 per in 2013 and 2014.

Annual incentives of $1,000,000 each for:
-Playing in 15 games (17 if we go to an 18 game schedule),
-90 catches (easily attainable based on his last two years),
-1200 yards (again easily attainable avg just 13 ypc)
-10 TDs (something he has never accomplished, but he is certainly capable),
-Pro-bowl or All-pro selection
-MVP type selections (Superbowl, Offensive, League, etc)

Broncos to guarantee 40% ($21,600,000) of total contract value if career ending injury occurrs PLAYING FOOTBALL.

That wold make it possible for him to earn $7m per in 09 and 10, $9m per in '11 and '12, and $11m per in '13 and '14. For him to reach those #'s he would be achieving the following:

90 Catches for 1200 yards and 10TDs. Not having off-field problems resulting in suspensions that would prevent him from earning bonuses based on games played on production. AND, he would be in the Pro-bowl or an All-Pro selection (meaning one of the best in the league!!!). So, the big contract would be completely justified and it would give him injury protection (in a big way!). What it doesn't do is cover that upfront money that he will surely want. Anybody have some thoughts on how to get creative with that?

SureShot
06-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't see how a trade straight for Edwards makes sense, isn't he a FA next year? Remember he is already making the salary of a top 5 pick so if he came in here and succeeded you can bet he will want to get paid big time.

brncobrett
06-15-2009, 10:10 AM
This. I like the way BMarsh is handling this. The timing, yeah, it is questionable no doubt. But how would you feel if your level of confidence in a team's ability to diagnose injuries was questionable at best. He shows up and plays now and gets injured (badly) in 2009 and he won't get a new contract. The Broncos would be smart to give him an incentive laden contract short on signing bonuses and guranteed money, but with protections for injuries and incentives that BMarsh can reach fairly easily.

Looks something like this:

Base Salary. $1,000,000 in 2009 and 2010. $3,000,000 in 2011 and 2012. $5,000,000 per in 2013 and 2014.

Annual incentives of $1,000,000 each for:
-Playing in 15 games (17 if we go to an 18 game schedule),
-90 catches (easily attainable based on his last two years),
-1200 yards (again easily attainable avg just 13 ypc)
-10 TDs (something he has never accomplished, but he is certainly capable),
-Pro-bowl or All-pro selection
-MVP type selections (Superbowl, Offensive, League, etc)

Broncos to guarantee 40% ($21,600,000) of total contract value if career ending injury occurrs PLAYING FOOTBALL.

That wold make it possible for him to earn $7m per in 09 and 10, $9m per in '11 and '12, and $11m per in '13 and '14. For him to reach those #'s he would be achieving the following:

90 Catches for 1200 yards and 10TDs. Not having off-field problems resulting in suspensions that would prevent him from earning bonuses based on games played on production. AND, he would be in the Pro-bowl or an All-Pro selection (meaning one of the best in the league!!!). So, the big contract would be completely justified and it would give him injury protection (in a big way!). What it doesn't do is cover that upfront money that he will surely want. Anybody have some thoughts on how to get creative with that?

Thats the kicker can they protect themselves and still sign him?

lostknight
06-15-2009, 10:12 AM
KOA just reported that Brandon asked to be traded, even though Denver waived a new contract with him.

Guess Brandon might be worried about who is going to throw to him?

SonOfLe-loLang
06-15-2009, 10:16 AM
KOA just reported that Brandon asked to be traded, even though Denver waived a new contract with him.

Guess Brandon might be worried about who is going to throw to him?

How would he know, he hasnt even caught a ball from anyone yet

BroncoBuff
06-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Braylon Edwards is an excellent person and an excellent receiver ... but he's one rung below B-Marsh on the WR ladder.

No to that trade ... in fact, no way let B-Marsh go at all. Give him a good bump he can get excited about, and load it with incentives re: injury and off-field stuff, even incentivize the monster Top 5 deal Skinland mentioned he wanted tro avoid ...... IF .... he gets his ass in and learns the system, plays and keeps outta trouble.

gyldenlove
06-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Thats the kicker can they protect themselves and still sign him?

The easiest way for them to protect themselves is to give him a small signing bonus but give him an annual roster bonus due in March that is guaranteed for skill and injury.

Essentially a deal like this:

Signing bonus: 4 years, 8 million signing bonus, salaries of 2 million in year 1, 3 million in year 2 and 3 and 3.5 million in year 4. Roster bonus of 6.5 million due in year 2, 3 and 4 in march guaranteed for injury and skill, as well as a 1 million dollar incentive every year he gets if he either goes to the pro-bowl, all-pro team or the Broncos reach the playoffs with him playing at least 14 games.

The total value would be 39 million over 4 years with up to 4 million in incentives. Since he gets a years bonus even he gets injured he will have decent coverage, we can cut him with a minimum loss if he gets in off-field trouble.