PDA

View Full Version : OT: wanting to buy a revolver

goldengopher1976
06-14-2009, 04:35 PM
My wife and I have been looking for a hobby to share for a while and just recently went to a friend's house to shoot. She loved it, and I think we have probably found our hobby. The next step is finding the right gun(s). We don't own any right now.

I am wanting to buy a good revolver but don't have a lot of money (can only afford around $600 max). I've done some research and found two I really like:

1. The Ruger Super Redhawk (probably the .44)
2. The Ruger Vaquero

I'm leaning toward the second one but wanted some thoughts from those of you who own and shoot guns regularly. Again, I'm wanting a revolver, not a pistol--I like their simplicity and the classic appeal.

Any thoughts?

Los Broncos
06-14-2009, 04:37 PM
I had a Ruger 357, I loved that gun.

Had to sell it once I moved to the city.

cutthemdown
06-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Nothing like taking the lil lady out to blast off some rounds. Maybe if you guys feel really romantic you can break out the shotguns.

All kidding aside sounds like fun.

Bronx33
06-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Mmmmmmm nothing says hobby like the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

I say snag a Vaquero.

hambone13
06-14-2009, 06:12 PM
My wife and I have been looking for a hobby to share for a while and just recently went to a friend's house to shoot. She loved it, and I think we have probably found our hobby. The next step is finding the right gun(s). We don't own any right now.

I am wanting to buy a good revolver but don't have a lot of money (can only afford around $600 max). I've done some research and found two I really like:

2. The Ruger Vaquero

I'm leaning toward the second one but wanted some thoughts from those of you who own and shoot guns regularly. Again, I'm wanting a revolver, not a pistol--I like their simplicity and the classic appeal.

Any thoughts?

The Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum in multiple models is a classic revolver that is known to be a battle tested, reliable, accurate and versatile revolver for almost a hundred years. The thing about going with a .357 Magnum rather than a .44 Mag is the amo is considerably cheaper for "hobby shooting" and you can also run .38 special rounds through the same weapon even cheaper for "volume" target plinking. The .44 magnum is a penis extension IMHO for Dirty Harry fanatics and collectors. The S & W .357 is one of the best all around weapons for self defense, target, hunting, etc. You'll find that most people who know anything about hand guns will have to agree with me.

Bronx33
06-14-2009, 06:30 PM
The Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum in multiple models is a classic revolver that is known to be a battle tested, reliable, accurate and versatile revolver for almost a hundred years. The thing about going with a .357 Magnum rather than a .44 Mag is the amo is considerably cheaper for "hobby shooting" and you can also run .38 special rounds through the same weapon even cheaper for "volume" target plinking. The .44 magnum is a penis extension IMHO for Dirty Harry fanatics and collectors. The S & W .357 is one of the best all around weapons for self defense, target, hunting, etc. You'll find that most people who know anything about hand guns will have to agree with me.

A penis extension that leaves huge holes in whatever it hits. :clown: also my rule of thumb is when it come to self defense it all depends on how much you want to steamclean blood, one big stain where the douchbag is laying dead or a bunch of little ones leading out the front door as he ran away.

hambone13
06-14-2009, 06:38 PM
A penis extension that leaves huge holes in whatever it hits. :clown: also my rule of thumb is when it come to self defense it all depends on how much you want to steamclean blood, one big stain where the douchbag is laying dead or a bunch of little ones leading out the front door as he ran away.

LOL, if a .357 Mag isn't enough to stop someone center mass, there's a bigger problem! Also, I would hope my wife could hoist the .357 with a certain amount of accuracy for the second shot.

Bronx33
06-14-2009, 06:41 PM
LOL, if a .357 Mag isn't enough to stop someone center mass, there's a bigger problem! Also, I would hope my wife could hoist the .357 with a certain amount of accuracy for the second shot.

I didn't say the .357 wasn't big enough it more than meets my criteria/steamclean test.

Rohirrim
06-14-2009, 07:26 PM
I swear by Ruger. They make excellent pieces. Fine balance. Great trigger feel.

Florida_Bronco
06-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Taurus makes pretty solid revolvers for much less than the Smith and Wessons. That's about the best advice I can give you regarding revolvers. If you want to talk semi-autos, then I can offer more. :)

cutthemdown
06-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Also though having a 22 revolver is fun also because the ammo so easy to get and cheap.

It's cool to have the high caliber stuff but a .22 rifle and .22 pistol also sort of cool because they are cheap to shoot.

cutthemdown
06-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Taurus makes pretty solid revolvers for much less than the Smith and Wessons. That's about the best advice I can give you regarding revolvers. If you want to talk semi-autos, then I can offer more. :)

What do you think of Para-Ordinance?

Florida_Bronco
06-14-2009, 07:41 PM
What do you think of Para-Ordinance? How can you not love a high capacity 1911 ??? :P

I've heard people say the quality is spotty, but I know 3 people who own PO 1911s and have had absolutely no problem with them. IMO they are much better guns then the extremely over priced Kimbers.

footstepsfrom#27
06-14-2009, 07:42 PM
My wife and I have been looking for a hobby to share for a while and just recently went to a friend's house to shoot. She loved it, and I think we have probably found our hobby.

Any thoughts?
Don't get her mad.

Centella Cajon
06-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Again, I'm wanting a revolver, not a pistol--I like their simplicity and the classic appeal.

Any thoughts?

I recommend the Ruger GP-100 series, specifically the model GPG-141, stainless four inch barrel .357. Built like a tank, accurate and dependable. I love mine and would not trade for any other normal revolver. Check it out, you will find it highly reviewed.

For reasons addressed earlier in the thread I would go for the .357, but to be truthful a little .22 is a nice way to learn to shoot, trigger control and such on the the cheap. Ammunition costs a fortune these days.

SouthStndJunkie
06-14-2009, 08:38 PM
What do you think of Para-Ordinance?

I have the Para Warthog.

It is an ultra compact .45 ACP with a 10+1 round capacity.

Great carry conceal/self defense weapon.

cutthemdown
06-14-2009, 09:58 PM
I have the Para Warthog.

It is an ultra compact .45 ACP with a 10+1 round capacity.

Great carry conceal/self defense weapon.

Someone had recommended there high capacity .45 to me. I think the one that holds 14+1.

hambone13
06-14-2009, 09:59 PM
I didn't say the .357 wasn't big enough it more than meets my criteria/steamclean test.

Roger that Ghost Rider and I get your point. We have the .44 Magnum in our family arsenal and I agree w/ your point on the size of the holes...however I would prefer to have my H&K Tactical .45 as if I'm chasing someone around my house, I wanna be able to connect on the 2nd and 3rd tap should I only wing him while he's running ;-)

The .44 Mag is a classic "collectors" weapon IMO, I wouldn't call it "versatile". It do love hoisting it up firing a few down range, it's definitely an experience that I chose to repeat when we take the arsenal out to get the carb out.

hambone13
06-14-2009, 10:05 PM

If you're going to make a hobby out of shooting, meaning you're going to be putting a lot of rounds through it because ya dig it, it's worth it to go w/ a bit more quality IMO. All of the Taurus' I've fired are serviceable but they just don't have the weight, balance and quality that the S&W's and Rugers have. I will never bad mouth a Ruger, they're solid but I am a bit of a bigot when it comes to revolvers ;-) I've found the S&W to have a better 2nd, 3rd...6th round accuracy. They just seem to find the target again w/ their excellent balance and weight distribution. However, everyone has their opinions and like many hobbies, people like what works for them so I would recommend firing your top 3-5 if possible. It really is a "feel" thing.

azbroncfan
06-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Can't go wrong with S&W, COLT or Ruger revolvers. If you feel like breaking the bank go with a Freedom Arms. You might want to buy a reloader if you plan on shooting a lot since pistol ammo is way overpriced. I was looking at an S&W 41 Remington mag recently and could get one in the 600 dollar range. Good luck getting any S&W or COLT .44 that is under 800. I haven't priced the Rugers SA or DA recently so I don't know their prices. The .357 is the way to go if you plan to shoot a lot. I really only shoot .44 specials out of my COLT anaconda unless I'm hunting then I use my .300 grain handloads.

fdf
06-15-2009, 09:07 AM

2. The Ruger Vaquero

Any thoughts?

I agree with the .357 recommendations above. It's plenty powerful enough with jacketed hollow points in it to handle home defense. You really would need to go to a shotgun to get much significantly more stopping power than you get with a .357.

I shoot a ported, Taurus .357. Less expensive than the Rugers but a really nice gun. Has a 7 round cylinder. My only complaint is the trigger pull is hard. But if it really bothered me enough, I could have it adjusted some.

The porting on the Taurus is especially nice because it keeps the gun level after it is fired--it doesn't jump at all. So second shots are much faster and more accurate than with an unported .357.

Also, the ability to plink with 38 rounds saves a lot of money.

bronclvr
06-15-2009, 10:51 AM
I own both of what you are discussing, a S&W Model 27 .357 and a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt-if I am just plinking, I will shoot the .357-I'm more accurate with it.

If I'm up in the Mountains Fishing or Hunting, I'll take the Vaquero (it's Stainless)-I know that if I run into a Bear that the .357 it will just piss him off, but the Vaquero will give me a fighting chance-you can load the Ruger with insane loads and it will take it-not as much with the S&W.

I think they are both built very well, but the Ruger is a Tank-it's pretty too-sometimes I'll just get it out of it's Case to look at it. It feels right in my hand, and it's a Howitzer-I'm getting an S&W 500 to go along with it.

As for a 1911, I like that they carry multiple shots, but for what I'm doing they just don't fit, although I have a Colt .45 ACP (Model XSE, Gov.) thats a great Gun-it just doesn't move me-

Pretty hard to go wrong with either one, but I'd stay away from the S&W 600 Series-I like the old stuff-

Garcia Bronco
06-15-2009, 11:16 AM
The Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum

It's what my Dad carried outside of his "Saturday Night Special" he carried in the 70's and 80's working as a police officer.

Meck77
06-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Also though having a 22 revolver is fun also because the ammo so easy to get and cheap.

It's cool to have the high caliber stuff but a .22 rifle and .22 pistol also sort of cool because they are cheap to shoot.

I'm with you here. If you don't own any guns this is a great place to start IMO.

It just depends on what the needs are I suppose. You just can't have enough guns but with a $600 budget you could certainly get started with a couple of nice .22s.

gyldenlove
06-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Why a revolver?

When I used to shoot I had a Sig sauer P226, for accuracy and reliability it doesn't better. It is very well balanced and has a quality feel, easy to maintain as well.

Tombstone RJ
06-15-2009, 12:09 PM
My philosophy is that if you can't drop someone with a .38, you shouldn't be allowed to fire a handgun.

I'd go with a nice .357, it just has too much flexibility to pass up. A lot of bang for the buck.

PS. all Freedom Arms pistols are single action.

Bronx33
06-15-2009, 12:13 PM
I got a ruger .223 for sale if anybody is interested.

goldengopher1976
06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies, it is tremendously helpful.

I think there is general consensus about getting the .357 rather than the .44. I don't have any particular need to buy a big gun, and the cost of ammunition is certainly a factor.

There also seems to be a lot of momentum around the S&W .357 so I will expand my research in that direction.

As for .22s, I was looking at a couple .22 rifles and am certainly willing to start with a couple .22s before moving on. Do any of you have thoughts on the following rifles (I'm particularly interested in a rifle I can take backpacking and hunting for small game):

1. Henry U.S. Survival (breaks down and fits into the stock)

2. Springfield Armory M6 Scout (folds down as well and can handle .410)

3. Kel-Tec SU-16 Rifle

More thoughts?

MOCRUSH
06-15-2009, 03:12 PM
.357 Ruger, S&W K frame or Colt if you are willing to bust the budget some. Pass on the Eurotrash semi's, 1911 all the way.

bpc
06-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Are you sure this thread is really off topic or are you just a panicked Broncos fan? ha ha.

goldengopher1976
06-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Are you sure this thread is really off topic or are you just a panicked Broncos fan? ha ha.

does it have to be an either/or?

Orange Blood
06-15-2009, 04:58 PM

LOL

azbroncfan
06-15-2009, 07:17 PM
PS. all Freedom Arms pistols are single action.

Who said they weren't?

Jason in LA
06-15-2009, 08:34 PM
You should pick up a second hobby too. Take the wife down to the local bookstore, and go down the sex aisle. Pick up a couple books and try some new stuff. That should go great after shooting off a few rounds. ;D

goldengopher1976
06-16-2009, 12:29 PM
You should pick up a second hobby too. Take the wife down to the local bookstore, and go down the sex aisle. Pick up a couple books and try some new stuff. That should go great after shooting off a few rounds. ;D

Truthfully, I scored in that department, she has yet to balk at a suggestion--the guns are the missing ingredient in your equation, not the other. :thumbsup:

Tombstone RJ
06-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Who said they weren't?

Just an fyi

rugbythug
06-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Taurus. 357 Trapper. I own one great gun. More Gun for the Money than any other listed here. SW is for show. With the 357 your can plink about with your 38 ammo and kill people with the 357 ammo.

rugbythug
06-16-2009, 01:31 PM
http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/attachments/taurus/5506d1174958624-my-new-taurus-66-357-66b4.jpg

c_lazy_r
06-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Truthfully, I scored in that department, she has yet to balk at a suggestion--the guns are the missing ingredient in your equation, not the other. :thumbsup:

lucky ****er...

kamakazi_kal
06-16-2009, 02:12 PM

2. The Ruger Vaquero

Any thoughts?

I have a ruger .357 blackhawk and it's a very nice gun. You can easily switch out to shoot .38 too for practice ...... nice and cheap like a .22

Then when you have it at home put the .357 mags back in for stopping power.

kamakazi_kal
06-16-2009, 02:14 PM
.357 Ruger, S&W K frame or Colt if you are willing to bust the budget some. Pass on the Eurotrash semi's, 1911 all the way.

hey .... I have a styer GB80 9mm and it's a wonderfull gun.