PDA

View Full Version : The end of road traffic lights?

BABronco
06-14-2009, 05:31 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1533248/Is-this-the-end-of-the-road-for-traffic-lights.html<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k_Qiq4442zY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Is this the end of the road for traffic lights?

Most traffic lights should be torn up as they make roads less safe, one of Europe's leading road engineers said yesterday.

Hans Monderman, a traffic planner involved in a Brussels-backed project known as Shared Space, said that taking lights away helped motorists, cyclists and pedestrians to co-exist more happily and safely.

Residents of the northern Dutch town of Drachten have already been used as guinea-pigs in an experiment which has seen nearly all the traffic lights stripped from their streets.

Only three of the 15 sets in the town of 50,000 remain and they will be gone within a couple of years.

The project is the brainchild of Mr Monderman, and the town has seen some remarkable results. There used to be a road death every three years but there have been none since the traffic light removal started seven years ago.

Rohirrim
06-14-2009, 08:31 PM
We should get rid of all our intersections and replace them with traffic circles.

footstepsfrom#27
06-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Do away with that pesky little double yellow line too...I prefer driving on the left.

Bronx33
06-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Those stupid red octogon thingies only slow things down! get rid of em!

BABronco
06-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Hey, you cant argue with the drop in accidents. It's just interesting.

OrangeRising
06-14-2009, 10:52 PM
You'd never have to shop for food. The road kill selection must be amazing.

ZONA
06-14-2009, 10:54 PM
It's not the lights that are the problem here, it's the millions of idiots who need to text or call somebody on a cell phone, or put on makeup, or eat foot or a dozen other popular things that distract people from concentrating. And we're are always in a hurry over here. Leave a little early and take it easy.

BABronco
06-14-2009, 10:54 PM

Read the article then talk.

BABronco
06-14-2009, 10:56 PM
It's not the lights that are the problem here, it's the millions of idiots who need to text or call somebody on a cell phone, or put on makeup, or eat foot or a dozen other popular things that distract people from concentrating. And we're are always in a hurry over here. Leave a little early and take it easy.

Agreed, although I am guilty of the texting as well as eating. Good thing is don't look at my phone tho. Have the t9 down that well that I can text without looking and almost never get it wrong.

I'm sure they have most of that stuff over there as well tho.

OrangeRising
06-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Read the article then talk.

OK, I read it.

BABronco
06-14-2009, 11:08 PM
OK, I read it.

lol.

here ya go

The project is the brainchild of Mr Monderman, and the town has seen some remarkable results. There used to be a road death every three years but there have been none since the traffic light removal started seven years ago.

TheChamp24
06-15-2009, 12:44 AM
I can create a claim that removing speed bumps reduce accidents as well in something similar.
The fact of the matter is, 7 years is of data is minimal and it could be an outlier. Heck, they could suffer an accident every year for the next 3 years to offset the first 7 years.

I don't think going away with traffic lights would be helpful here in the USA. Lights exist to keep the flow of traffic going at a steady pace. Take those away, and it would be brutal for traffic.

fdf
06-15-2009, 09:59 AM
We should get rid of all our intersections and replace them with traffic circles.

Or, be really hip and Euro and replace them with very large cubist sculptures . . . or a space for performance art. It'll make getting around tough. But we'll be cool.

cutthemdown
06-15-2009, 10:05 AM
lol.

here ya go

LOL one every 3 yrs is already like nothing so the results dubious. I mean one bad crash and they could get 2 or 3 in one night.