PDA

View Full Version : Rod Smith owns Brandon Marshall at mini-camp

UberBroncoMan
06-14-2009, 03:47 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php

Watch the interview with Rod Smith at mini-camp in the Video & Audio tab.

I still can't believe what a diva dumb **** Marshall is after all the chances we've given him.

BroncoDoug
06-14-2009, 03:57 PM
I can't get the video to work on this computer... What does he say?

UberBroncoMan
06-14-2009, 04:01 PM
I can't get the video to work on this computer... What does he say?

In short he's basically telling Marshall he needs to get his ass to camp because he's being a detriment to both himself and the team. That he signed a contract and he needs to honor it.

Essentially, "Brandon, stop being diva and earn a raise through your play this season."

theAPAOps5
06-14-2009, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't say he owns him. He said its not good when you aren't here both for the individual or the team. They asked if he has spoken to Marhsall he said no. They asked if he will reach out to Marshall he said I think Marshall should call me because I have information he should want.

He also said he is under contract he should honor it. Never been a guy to hold out.

cutthemdown
06-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Let's face it we all saw the warning signs that pointed to Marshall being nothing like Rod Smith. They both play wr, both got in trouble for comestic violence, but that is about it. Rod Smith always put team first. Brandon Marshall had to be retrained to avoid a costly penalty when he was about to do something stupid after a TD.

TonyR
06-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Essentially, "Brandon, stop being diva and earn a raise through your play this season."

I think he should get a raise as soon as possible, but only after he has a clean bill of health and his current legal troubles are behind him. I think he's already proven it on the field, so I don't completely agree with Rod in that respect.

UberBroncoMan
06-14-2009, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't say he owns him. He said its not good when you aren't here both for the individual or the team. They asked if he has spoken to Marhsall he said no. They asked if he will reach out to Marshall he said I think Marshall should call me because I have information he should want.

He also said he is under contract he should honor it. Never been a guy to hold out.

In my book when a diva gets told his antics are wrong by a legend, that's being owned.

I think he should get a raise as soon as possible, but only after he has a clean bill of health and his current legal troubles are behind him. I think he's already proved it on the field, so I don't completely agree with Rod in that respect.

He earned his $2.2 million paycheck this year with his work last year. If he goes through the entire season with continued production and without off the field incidents then he will deserve his fat contract from the Broncos.

theAPAOps5
06-14-2009, 04:09 PM
I think he should get a raise as soon as possible, but only after he has a clean bill of health and his current legal troubles are behind him.

Agree 100%

elsid13
06-14-2009, 04:13 PM
In my book when a diva gets told his antics are wrong by a legend, that's being owned.

I think you are over reacting. Smith said himself that he didn't know what Marshall was thinking or any particular information about "situation" (Smith used that word about 5 times). What if they talk and Smith finds out that Marshall was told that the team would be redoing this deal before mini camp and now they decide to wait til the end of season.

footstepsfrom#27
06-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Rod makes some good points, but he was also a UDFA who says he considered himself fortunate to be on the team, so obviously Rod wasn't thinking about holding out 3 years into his first contract.

I do think Marshall would be better served in camp, but given both the seemingly laise faire attitude of the current negotiations and the problems of injury diagnosis he alleges, I can understand why he's staying out.

This story is no big deal...NFL players, esepcially stars...skip minicamp pretty often. It's not deserving of the meltdown this board is having over it.

WABronco
06-14-2009, 04:21 PM
This story is no big deal...NFL players, esepcially stars...skip minicamp pretty often. It's not deserving of the meltdown this board is having over it.

Amen.

It's all "DIVA BITCH" and "LEARN SOME MORALITY" now, buuttttt when he comes back it'll be "It's a business". Should tape off a special forum for all the PMS'ing by the resident PMS'ers.

telluride
06-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Even if BM can't participate because of his hip, he really needs to be in camp learning the new system. Brandon is no rocket scientist to begin with, and new terminology, new timing, and new techniques aren't things he's going to quickly grasp. If he is on the team and active this year, his numbers will certainly go down. He's just digging a deeper hole for himself.

elsid13
06-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Amen.

It's all "DIVA b****" and "LEARN SOME MORALITY" now, buuttttt when he comes back it'll be "It's a business". Should tape off a special forum for all the PMS'ing by the resident PMS'ers.

It not like he held out four games into a season.

Atwater His Ass
06-14-2009, 04:30 PM
This is a non-issue.

elsid13
06-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Even if BM can't participate because of his hip, he really needs to be in camp learning the new system. Brandon is no rocket scientist to begin with, and new terminology, new timing, and new techniques aren't things he's going to quickly grasp. If he is on the team and active this year, his numbers will certainly go down. He's just digging a deeper hole for himself.

It is 3 day football passing camp, and not like he hasn't been sending time there learning the offense before this. This isn't as big a deal as some make it out to be.

BroncoDoug
06-14-2009, 05:08 PM
I agree that its not a big deal that he is missing these three days.. He has a point to prove (right or wrong) and he did that. If he starts missing training camp, then i'll start to worry..

BroncoMan4ever
06-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Rod makes some good points, but he was also a UDFA who says he considered himself fortunate to be on the team, so obviously Rod wasn't thinking about holding out 3 years into his first contract.

I do think Marshall would be better served in camp, but given both the seemingly laise faire attitude of the current negotiations and the problems of injury diagnosis he alleges, I can understand why he's staying out.

thank you, finally someone else sees this. until TC starts and if he then decides to Lelie the situation, then the board can go nuts, but jesus christ it is a 3 day mini camp, and he doesn't want to get treatment by the same jackasses who misdiagnosed him for a full season. i see no reason to get pissed off considering he wouldn't be on the field anyway because of the hip

Gcver2ver3
06-14-2009, 05:09 PM
i love Rod Smith's attitude...but Rod is 1 in a million...

i don't expect Marsh to be half the character guy Smith was as our WR...

personally i don't 100 agree that just because a player is under contract, they should honor ir, because teams don't honor contracts...

with that said, Marshall is a different case to me...he's not in a position to hold out IMO...he doesn't have as much leverage as perhaps he seems to think...

i truly believe the Broncos will not budge on this and i support that decision...

BroncoMan4ever
06-14-2009, 05:12 PM
i love Rod Smith's attitude...but Rod is 1 in a million...

i don't expect Marsh to be half the character guy Smith was as our WR...

personally i don't 100 agree that just because a player is under contract, they should honor ir, because teams don't honor contracts...

with that said, Marshall is a different case to me...he's not in a position to hold out IMO...he doesn't have as much leverage as perhaps he seems to think...

i truly believe the Broncos will not budge on this and i support that decision...

he has a lot of leverage. take him off the field and Royal isn't going to hit 91 catches and nearly 1000 receiving yards. the entire offense's numbers will drop, and not even a dominant running game is going to make up for the 100+ receptions and 1300+ receiving yards he will give the team.

the team should give him a new deal, but place clauses in it about his off field bull****, that gives them an out and a way to recoup bonuses if he slips up again.

Broncoman13
06-14-2009, 05:14 PM

He earned his $2.2 million paycheck this year with his work last year. If he goes through the entire season with continued production and without off the field incidents then he will deserve his fat contract from the Broncos.

That is a good way of looking at it... can we cut Champ Bailey's pay in half since last year wasn't so good. How about his brother's pay? It is funny how people will quickly point out that a player should "honor" his contract, but when the team asks players to restructure, they should also do that for the good of the team... otherwise they aren't team players. Whatever. BMarsh has earned a new pay day. He's also earned a few clauses be put into his contract to protect the team. Not sure who said it, but the Broncos should give him a contract loaded with reachable incentives. He catches 100 balls, $2m bonus. He plays in 15 games, $1m. He catches 1200 yards worth, $1m. He catches 10 TDs, $2m. He goes to the Pro-bowl or is named all-pro, $2m. Base Salary. $1m. That means he can reach $9m a season with incentives that he has reached or can reasonably reach every season. That would make him the 2nd highest WR in the league... and it would protect the Broncos. If he were to get suspended he would likely not reach several of the incentives. The problem is he will want guaranteed money. Not sure what you can do about that? The biggest sticking point with guaranteed money is the players want it b/c it is injury protection. Maybe they work out some sort of deal to where a % of his contract becomes guaranteed if he's injured PLAYING FOOTBALL. I would think a contract with those protections would be good for the Broncos, doubt BMarsh would go for it though.

TheReverend
06-14-2009, 05:23 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php

Watch the interview with Rod Smith at mini-camp in the Video & Audio tab.

I still can't believe what a diva dumb **** Marshall is after all the chances we've given him.

Who's still there that's given him those chances? ???

theAPAOps5
06-14-2009, 05:28 PM
That is a good way of looking at it... can we cut Champ Bailey's pay in half since last year wasn't so good. How about his brother's pay? It is funny how people will quickly point out that a player should "honor" his contract, but when the team asks players to restructure, they should also do that for the good of the team... otherwise they aren't team players. Whatever. BMarsh has earned a new pay day. He's also earned a few clauses be put into his contract to protect the team. Not sure who said it, but the Broncos should give him a contract loaded with reachable incentives. He catches 100 balls, $2m bonus. He plays in 15 games, $1m. He catches 1200 yards worth, $1m. He catches 10 TDs, $2m. He goes to the Pro-bowl or is named all-pro, $2m. Base Salary. $1m. That means he can reach $9m a season with incentives that he has reached or can reasonably reach every season. That would make him the 2nd highest WR in the league... and it would protect the Broncos. If he were to get suspended he would likely not reach several of the incentives. The problem is he will want guaranteed money. Not sure what you can do about that? The biggest sticking point with guaranteed money is the players want it b/c it is injury protection. Maybe they work out some sort of deal to where a % of his contract becomes guaranteed if he's injured PLAYING FOOTBALL. I would think a contract with those protections would be good for the Broncos, doubt BMarsh would go for it though.

People talk like restructuring is so bad. But most often than not a restructure gets more money upfront to the player and in the NFL that is the most important aspect. What I don't understand is why now all of a sudden should the team change policy? Shanny never restructured rookie contracts but no one was complaining then. So you give Shanny a pass but not McD and Bowlen?

OBF1
06-14-2009, 05:28 PM
I think you are over reacting. Smith said himself that he didn't know what Marshall was thinking or any particular information about "situation" (Smith used that word about 5 times). What if they talk and Smith finds out that Marshall was told that the team would be redoing this deal before mini camp and now they decide to wait til the end of season.

Who gives a ****.... Dude is under contract period and continues to flirt with suspension from the NFL. If that is the kind of player you want on your team, then be prepared to have the same results they have had the past few seasons.

Football is a team sport, if you are not with the team, just play out your contract then walk away. I think it is called MANNING UP

Gcver2ver3
06-14-2009, 05:32 PM
he has a lot of leverage. take him off the field and Royal isn't going to hit 91 catches and nearly 1000 receiving yards. the entire offense's numbers will drop, and not even a dominant running game is going to make up for the 100+ receptions and 1300+ receiving yards he will give the team.

the team should give him a new deal, but place clauses in it about his off field bull****, that gives them an out and a way to recoup bonuses if he slips up again.

you're looking at it the wrong way...he has next to no leverage...

he's under contract and in an uncapped year he's a restricted agent and if a new agreement is made he'll be franchised...if he holds out long enough, he'll be fined and if he holds out into the season he threatens to not be paid at all...

throw in the fact that he's still dealing with legal issues, and it's pretty apparent that the leverage is not on his side...

and also...we don't know for sure that the offense won't produce without him...Royal is a talent regardless of Marshall's presence...in case you forgot, Royals best game as a pro came in the 1 game Marshall didn't play...

OBF1
06-14-2009, 05:33 PM
It not like he held out four games into a season.

Damarcus Russell did not hold out 4 games into the season and look how far behind he still is.

It is so damn funny how some of you idiots continue to support this a-hole who clearly cares about nothing but himself.

What do you think made MacCaffrey and Rod Smith so damn special??? Hard work and wanting to be the best they could ever be.... Neither one of them had the skill set BM has, but both of them had more TD's in a single season than the great Marshall has.

Orange Blood
06-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Damarcus Russell did not hold out 4 games into the season and look how far behind he still is.

It is so damn funny how some of you idiots continue to support this a-hole who clearly cares about nothing but himself.

What do you think made MacCaffrey and Rod Smith so damn special??? Hard work and wanting to be the best they could ever be.... Neither one of them had the skill set BM has, but both of them had more TD's in a single season than the great Marshall has.

Take it from lard ass, 280 lb Dmitri. He wrote the book about hard work.

OBF1
06-14-2009, 05:36 PM

In the real world.... No matter how good you perform at the job, if you continue to get into trouble and stop showing up at the office, your ass will be canned.

Oskie, try pulling a Marshall at work and tell us how it works out for you.

OBF1
06-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Take it from lard ass, 280 lb Dmitri. He wrote the book about hard work.

Another big man on the internet... Keep it up and I will have your mommy ground you from the computer. Now get ready for summer school, you do not want to stay in the 5th grade for a 3rd year do you?

UberBroncoMan
06-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Not sure who said it, but the Broncos should give him a contract loaded with reachable incentives. He catches 100 balls, $2m bonus. He plays in 15 games, $1m. He catches 1200 yards worth, $1m. He catches 10 TDs, $2m. He goes to the Pro-bowl or is named all-pro, $2m. Base Salary. $1m. That means he can reach $9m a season with incentives that he has reached or can reasonably reach every season.

Big problem with almost all of that buddy. It will turn him into a complete ball hog and stat whore (as if he wasn't already a stat whore, if you listened to his press conferences last season). When making all your money is derived on statistics, it turns most people into a person who cares more about statistics than winning. Imagine he gets just short of 1200 yards and 10 TD's... imagine the QB threw a pass to Royal to win game 16, but Marshall was also open and thus ended the season with 9 TD's. You're just asking for a mess imo.

The clauses should be related to games played and off the field incidents, the end.

TheReverend
06-14-2009, 05:42 PM
**** just got real, son.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertainment/movies/images/badboys2.JPG

Lolad
06-14-2009, 05:45 PM

This wouldn't work. His production will drop for sure with Orton at the helm. It's inevitible. Thats why he's trying to restructure now, because if he waits till the end of the season. It'll be "Oh look at your numbers you did this year, they werent as good.. we are going to pay you less"

The story about what happened to Walker when he came back also leads me to believe that he will not come back without a new contract. Pay him the money! What should be written in his contract is that if he gets suspensed for any off the field issues he forfiets all of his money.

Oh and it's also been said that if Marshall is not given a new contract before the end of the year. Going into an uncapped year Marshall wouldn't get paid as much.

Gcver2ver3
06-14-2009, 05:48 PM
This wouldn't work. His production will drop for sure with Orton at the helm. It's inevitible. Thats why he's trying to restructure now, because if he waits till the end of the season. It'll be "Oh look at your numbers you did this year, they werent as good.. we are going to pay you less"

if you're a great player it'll be recognized regardless of numbers...

the raiders have a corner who doesn't get many picks...but you can rest assured he's enjoying the big cash...

if Marsh comes in and does what he's supposed to do, he'll hit his payday...

elsid13
06-14-2009, 05:52 PM

But Emmit Smith did and his team won the Superbowl. You shouldn't compare a rookie just coming into a league missing most training camp to a 4 year vet passing three day passing camp it poor argument. There is no indication that Marshall isn't working his ass off getting healthy or doesn't put in the time to be a better receiver.

elsid13
06-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Who gives a ****.... Dude is under contract period and continues to flirt with suspension from the NFL. If that is the kind of player you want on your team, then be prepared to have the same results they have had the past few seasons.

Football is a team sport, if you are not with the team, just play out your contract then walk away. I think it is called MANNING UP

Actually NFL is professional sport and about as earning as much as you before your body doesn't allow you to earn anymore. Everyone in that locker room understand why Marshall is trying to get more money, I don't think fans of the profession understand that it is business first and foremost.

Lolad
06-14-2009, 05:57 PM
if you're a great player it'll be recognized regardless of numbers...

the raiders have a corner who doesn't get many picks...but you can rest assured he's enjoying the big cash...

if Marsh comes in and does what he's supposed to do, he'll hit his payday...

His position is scaled completely different... when no balls are being thrown at you. He's another Champ Bailey. A WR is paid to get yards and TD's, you can NOT compare the two.

Mr Chatterboodamn
06-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Rod coulda taught him techniques for beating women in a manner that neither creates a media firestorm nor inflames the selective sensitivities of 'maners.

TheReverend
06-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Rod coulda taught him techniques for beating women in a manner that neither creates a media firestorm nor inflames the selective sensitivities of 'maners.

Sadly, that had more to do with Tagliabue being lenient than anyone of the graceful beatings Rod laid down on his wife.

BroncosinDC
06-14-2009, 06:54 PM
And the obligatory....

McD "will handle it"

Orange Blood
06-14-2009, 06:56 PM

Hilarious!

outdoor_miner
06-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Who's still there that's given him those chances? ???

Pat Mutha-bleepin' Bowlen. The d00d who be writin those big checks.

footstepsfrom#27
06-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Whatever that hideous thing is in your avatar...get rid of it PLEASE.

TheReverend
06-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Pat Mutha-bleepin' Bowlen. The d00d who be writin those big checks.

:nono:

Mr Chatterboodamn
06-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Whatever that hideous thing is in your avatar...get rid of it PLEASE.

done....sorry bout that man.

footstepsfrom#27
06-14-2009, 08:29 PM
done....sorry bout that man.
MUCH better!

HEAV
06-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Rod say's Brandon should call him. Problem is many of today's younger players don't respect the old players.

Cutler wanted nothing to do with Elway, Brandon doesn't want to talk to Rod.

It's just how it is with the new school kids in pro sports. They only listen to one person the guy in the mirror and if by chance their agent when it comes to playing politics about contracts and holding out.

Brandon feels that he is due more than the 2.2 million he is scheduled to get this year. Wrong or right about him deverving more he still should be in camp and working with the Broncos staff.

bronco_boi_5280
06-14-2009, 08:33 PM
In the real world.... No matter how good you perform at the job, if you continue to get into trouble and stop showing up at the office, your ass will be canned.

Oskie, try pulling a Marshall at work and tell us how it works out for you.

The NFL =/= normal people jobs. I really wish people would stop trying to make this weak argument.

footstepsfrom#27
06-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Rod say's Brandon should call him. Problem is many of today's younger players don't respect the old players.

You do know Marshall was mentored by Chris Carter right?

SoCalBronco
06-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Actually NFL is profession sport and about as earning as much as you before your body doesn't allow you to earn anymore.

This

HEAV
06-14-2009, 08:39 PM
You do know Marshall was mentored by Chris Carter right?

Working out with a player is metoring?

Sydney Crosby lives with Mario Lemieux that's a mentor and that's why the Kid held a trophy the other night.

footstepsfrom#27
06-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Working out with a player is metoring.
Carter took a personal interest in Marshall and spent a lot of time with him before he arrived here. Marshall's said he looks up to him, and I'm pretty sure he's said the same about Rod.

Simply because Rod stated BM should call him...does that mean they haven't talked in the past? We don't know that.

cutthemdown
06-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Carter took a personal interest in Marshall and spent a lot of time with him before he arrived here. Marshall's said he looks up to him, and I'm pretty sure he's said the same about Rod.

Simply because Rod stated BM should call him...does that mean they haven't talked in the past? We don't know that.

I'm sure they have talked before. Obviously he means I'm the elder and Marshal is still the apprentice. Marshall should be smart and get in camp. That is unless the hip is really bad and he knows it. Marshall may feel no way he gets it going in time for a big year. It would be hard to give him a ton of money after Royal out does him this yr. If Marshall not healthy that could happen.

In any even if some team was willing to give a first for Marshall I would take it and keep the theme of team players going.

yerner
06-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Lets just see what happens before the guy gets trashed here for missing some practise in june. Besides, every player has to cut his own deal when he can even if he has to force the issue.

telluride
06-14-2009, 09:14 PM

It's just how it is with the new school kids in pro sports. They only listen to one person the guy in the mirror and if by chance their agent when it comes to playing politics about contracts and holding out.

Brandon feels that he is due more than the 2.2 million he is scheduled to get this year. Wrong or right about him deverving more he still should be in camp and working with the Broncos staff.

That was actually one of the several red flags for me on Cutler. I was willing to overlook his iPod-on-the-bench manner. And his trash talking and subsequent whining about Rivers. And his blaming of his teammates for losses. But when he started comparing himself -- arm strength and all -- to Elway, it was bit much. His ego, his hubris, and his failure to produce in big games all sorta soured me on Cutler the last two seasons. Anyone who says they didn't feel a tinge of embarrassment with some of Cutler's antics isn't being honest.