PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo.com : Bronco Team Report 6/12

Bronco Rob
06-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Inside Slant

Casey Wiegmann still hasn’t received the contract extension he asked for earlier this offseason.

The Broncos’ Pro Bowl center is in the last year of his contract. He signed a two-year deal last year, and the final year is for $1.145 million. When Wiegmann signed the deal last year it was as a backup, but Tom Nalen(notes) suffered a knee injury and didn’t play all last season. Wiegmann started every game, extending his consecutive starts streak to 127, tops among NFL centers. He made his first Pro Bowl.

He considered retirement but decided to play another season. He came to the offseason workouts and practices, hoping that the Broncos’ brass would reward him with the extension he wants.

“I just know I’ve done my job here, I showed up the entire offseason program,” Wiegmann said. “I missed one OTA (organized team activity) because we celebrated my dad’s 60th birthday party. For a guy going into his 14th year, he shouldn’t be doing all the stuff our weight coach is doing, and I’ve done everything. I’m just doing my part. Now I’m going to see what they’re going to do.”

Wiegmann admitted the contract talks were “not really going anywhere,” which frustrated him.

“It’s kind of frustrating, especially when they want reliability,” Wiegmann said. “I’m probably one of the more reliable players. We’ll see. They have another month and a half to get something done.”

Wiegmann wouldn’t specifically state he would stay away from training camp or retire if he didn’t get an extension. But he said it was possible. He was asked if he would come to training camp without an extension.

“It would be tough. It would be really tough,” Wiegmann said. “A lot of things you have to discuss with your family, and my wife. There’s also stuff that weighs in the back of your mind and what’s going on, and if you can leave healthy in this game, it’s always a good thing.”

One of the strengths of Denver’s team coming into this season is the offensive line, which will have all five members back if Wiegmann plays. The Broncos’ backup center is Kory Lichtensteiger, who didn’t play a snap at center last year as a rookie.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said he wasn’t going to worry yet about the possibility of Wiegmann not showing up to training camp.

“It is where it is,” McDaniels said. “There’s nothing much more to talk about. He is under contract, and if we can get something done we will.”

Notes, Quotes

• Knowshon Moreno will make an impact for the Denver Broncos this season. The team didn’t draft Moreno with the 12th overall pick to sit on the bench all season.

He hasn’t been instantly installed as a starting tailback, however. LaMont Jordan and Correll Buckhalter are working ahead of him in offseason practices, but that doesn’t bother Moreno.

“Not at all,” Moreno said. “I’m just learning, they’ve been in the league eight or nine years. Coming behind them and learning from them and maybe one day making my way up there is awesome.”

Moreno was drafted as an every-down prospect. His running ability is clear, and Broncos coach Josh McDaniels raved about the way he did little things in college like pick up blitzes and catch the ball.

That makes Moreno a candidate to play a lot as a rookie, but his role is still rather unclear. Jordan knows the offense well, having been with McDaniels in New England last year. Buckhalter is an effective veteran, and he also wasn’t signed to sit the bench all year.

Moreno understands the Broncos have a lot of tailback depth, but he also feels like he has the talent to be a good NFL player.

“I’m definitely confident,” Moreno said. “I think a lot of guys in the backfield in that room can get the job done, any snap, anyone in that room. I’m trying to find my place and keep on learning.”

Even though McDaniels liked that Moreno is pretty polished for a rookie, he said he still has a lot of work to do.

“There’s always room for improvement, especially with pass protection and catching the ball and routes and running and reading the defenses,” Moreno said. “It’s a lot to learn and it’s a lot to work on so I’m going to work on all of those things.”

• After the Broncos’ mandatory minicamp on June 12-14, they have no other organized team activities until training camp. The Broncos’ training camp, held at their team headquarters, will begin the last week of July.

• Broncos safety Vernon Fox played with cornerback Andre Goodman, who signed with Denver this offseason, years ago in Detroit. During offseason practices Fox said he noticed a completely different Goodman than he remembered, and even asked him what happened.

“He’s nothing like the player he was in Detroit,” Fox said.

Fox said Goodman told him he is confident and healthy, which has helped a lot. Fox said Goodman will be a key addition to the Broncos’ secondary.

“You’re not going to get an easy win on him,” Fox said.

• Broncos safety Brian Dawkins missed a day of the team’s passing camp because his family was moving into their new Denver house. Moving from Philadelphia after so many years with the Eagles wasn’t easy, but he and his family are getting used to it.

“I’ve been told it takes a year or two to really, really, really settle in, as far as a family is concerned,” Dawkins said. “But we’re settling in as a family.”

Quote To Note: “I want to be here, but everything has to be the right situation, too.”—Broncos center Casey Wiegmann, who is frustrated he hasn’t received a contract extension.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A9G_byHPwTJKCQcBsgGE2bYF?slug=teamreport s-2009-nfl-den&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report

:thumbs:

ward63
06-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Does anybody know what they top 5 centers are getting paid. Ala the center franchise tag number? If it's like 2.5 mil, why not give it to Casey? We did just give a RB 100,000 to not do a thing, so throw Casey a bone to hold down the line for at least one more year.

kamakazi_kal
06-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Casey has violated the "Patriot Way" The press is a big NO NO.

"no soup for you!!""

cutthemdown
06-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Does Casey only want a one yr deal for some more jack? Or is he trying to parlay a really good yr into some situation where he gets money after he is gone. He may be trying to get that last payday on Broncos.

Broncos have some options at center I don't think they will overpay for an older player like Weigman. Especially when Mcdaniels plan is to get younger, bigger, more versatile players.

I like the way he played and Broncos should try and keep him around, but I would like to know what Casey is asking for.

cutthemdown
06-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Does anybody know what they top 5 centers are getting paid. Ala the center franchise tag number? If it's like 2.5 mil, why not give it to Casey? We did just give a RB 100,000 to not do a thing, so throw Casey a bone to hold down the line for at least one more year.

your kidding right? You want to pay him franchise number for centers? That's crazy talk. I don't know what it is but some decent numbers have went out to centers here and there. I'm willing to bet it's more then Casey would be worth.

By the way if all he wanted was another 100 grand Broncos wouldn't care.

ward63
06-12-2009, 04:13 PM
your kidding right? You want to pay him franchise number for centers? That's crazy talk. I don't know what it is but some decent numbers have went out to centers here and there. I'm willing to bet it's more then Casey would be worth.

By the way if all he wanted was another 100 grand Broncos wouldn't care.

He's already making what? 1.5? I'm just saying that if you just throw him an extra million, I am almost certain he will take it. He is a huge part of this offense having success.

Tombstone RJ
06-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Casey has a ligitimate grip. He was paid to be a back up and he ended up starting, plus he was told by Shanny that he'd get a new deal.

Regardless of the fact that Shanny is gone, he still deserves more money simply because he has outplayed his contract. In essence, he deserves more money for last season's performance.

I don't know why McX are dragging their feet on this, it's not like it's a multi-million dollar deal involving a multi-year contract. The guy just wants fair compensation for his performance, and some security for the immediate future. Pay the man.

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Those quotes are not good...

This off-season really seems like a bad dream.

Hotrod
06-12-2009, 04:49 PM
“It is where it is,” McDaniels said. “There’s nothing much more to talk about. He is under contract, and if we can get something done we will.”

**** me

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't know why McX are dragging their feet on this...
Think through the various possibilities and come back with your conclusions.

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 04:53 PM

**** me

Now, I may be off base here, but I'm personally not a fan that every time he's quoted it seems like a dick measuring contest...

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 04:54 PM

**** me
Who else is up for a contract review soon?

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Now, I may be off base here, but I'm personally not a fan that every time he's quoted it seems like a dick measuring contest...
I wonder if Casey and B-Marsh are comparing notes with Jay?

Hotrod
06-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Who else is up for a contract review soon?

Doesnt matter

Who is getting a warm fuzzy feeling thinking of Orton or Simms taking snaps from a center starting his first games in the NFL?

My liver is so ****ed this seasons :nono:

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 05:03 PM
I wonder if Casey and B-Marsh are comparing notes with Jay?

I doubt Casey feels up for another rebuilding experience after his time in KC.

As for Brandon, I think he wants his money locked in before/if his numbers slip.

Doesnt matter

Who is getting a warm fuzzy feeling thinking of Orton or Simms taking snaps from a center starting his first games in the NFL?

My liver is so ****ed this seasons :nono:

2 words: Milk Thistle

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 05:07 PM
<table class="tborder" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1"><tbody id="collapseobj_usercp_reputation" style=""><tr><td class="thead" colspan="2"> Thread</td> <td class="thead">Date</td> <td class="thead" nowrap="nowrap">Posted By</td> <td class="thead">Comment</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2">http://www.orangemane.com/BB/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif</td> <td class="alt1Active" id="p2442762" width="50%">Yahoo.com : Bronco Team... (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2442762#post2442762)</td> <td class="alt2" nowrap="nowrap">06-12-2009 04:05 PM</td> <td class="alt1" nowrap="nowrap">Cap'n Snuggie (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=1503)</td> <td class="alt2" width="50%">what the hell is milk thistle ???</td></tr></tbody></table>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_thistle

PRBronco
06-12-2009, 05:14 PM
You know I was ok with the idea of extending Casey, I was very happy with him last season, but the way he's going about this is really rubbing me the wrong way.

Hogan11
06-12-2009, 05:26 PM
I get the feelin' that he's not gonna get what he wants.....Prediction: Casey says hello to retirement in 2010.

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 05:28 PM
You know I was ok with the idea of extending Casey, I was very happy with him last season, but the way he's going about this is really rubbing me the wrong way.
Seems to be a growing theme huh?

worm
06-12-2009, 05:31 PM

How is he going about it? You are upset that he missed an OTA due to his dad's 60th? Other than that he seems to have shown up and done his job.

outdoor_miner
06-12-2009, 05:37 PM

These aren't new quotes. He basically had one "venting session" to the media on June 8... The above article just basically rehashed those quotes into a new "story":

http://www.gazette.com/sports/wiegmann-56036-camp-contract.html

After which, his agent came back and downplayed things, saying he was talking to McDaniels and Xanders:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2310/Agent--Wiegmann-and-Broncos-won-t-fight.html

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 05:39 PM
These aren't new quotes. He basically had one "venting session" to the media on June 8... The above article just basically rehashed those quotes into a new "story":

http://www.gazette.com/sports/wiegmann-56036-camp-contract.html

After which, his agent came back and downplayed things, saying he was talking to McDaniels and Xanders:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2310/Agent--Wiegmann-and-Broncos-won-t-fight.html

Repped. Thanks. Hopefully this IS getting worked out.

PRBronco
06-12-2009, 06:40 PM
How is he going about it? You are upset that he missed an OTA due to his dad's 60th? Other than that he seems to have shown up and done his job.

Yapping about it to reporters, we're not the damn Bengals, keep that **** in house.

listopencil
06-12-2009, 07:30 PM

Not good. Don't **** with the line when it's working well. I understand that our D-Line was crap when he got here...does he want a ****ed up O-Line too?

baja
06-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Pay him..... Geez!

tsiguy96
06-12-2009, 08:50 PM
the thing that does bother me with mcdaniels, like therev says, is he doesnt seem excited or publicly motivated about keeping ANYONE. like hes taking these guys wanting more money personal, especially when the guy is on his final contract and clearly outplayed his original one.

watermock
06-12-2009, 09:28 PM
God, if this kid, or x-man can't handle an old pro that just got his first probowl without it becoming a spectacle, imagine what's in store for Marshall or Scheff.

Give him a 1m roster bonus and be done with it. Jesus.

oubronco
06-12-2009, 09:33 PM
God, if this kid, or x-man can't handle an old pro that just got his first probowl without it becoming a spectacle, imagine what's in store for Marshall or Scheff.

McDipshyt can't that would mean he gave in and he don't hold all the power

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 09:52 PM
the thing that does bother me with mcdaniels, like therev says, is he doesnt seem excited or publicly motivated about keeping ANYONE. like hes taking these guys wanting more money personal, especially when the guy is on his final contract and clearly outplayed his original one.

Absolutely. Casey's on a contract that was meant for depth, as an insurance policy for Nalen. It's not on par for a starter in the NFL, let alone a pro-bowler.

Premier-Ace55
06-13-2009, 07:28 AM
We need someone to step in an end this maddness. I wish we would have hired a GM that dealt more with these issues instead of McDaniels

Cito Pelon
06-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Some of you people fly off into conniptions over every little thing. Relax, it's not a big deal.

BroncoBuff
06-13-2009, 09:24 AM

This is a mistake ... by saying "if we can do it we will," was the wrong thing to say. He shouldda referred the question to Xanders. Xanders should be in charge of all that stuff.

TonyR
06-13-2009, 09:39 AM
I want Casey back, and I think he "deserves" more $, but I don't think bitching to the press is the right way to go about your business. It's certainly fair to criticize the Broncos' FO here, but if you're going to do so you also have to criticize Wiegmann. Casey has the right to complain publicly, and the Broncos have the right to show their displeasure with this course of action. Let's hope they work this out.

BroncoBuff
06-13-2009, 10:03 AM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2009/0303/20090303_122310_marshall2_200.jpg
Brandon Marshall (Post file)

Marshall is in the final year of a four-year contract that will pay him $2.198 million this season. Marshall believes he's worth more after recording 100-plus catches in each of the past two seasons, and 58 receivers made more than $2.2 million in salary and bonuses last season. Marshall has also cited a lack of trust in the Broncos' medical care as a reason for not wanting to rehab at the team's headquarters.

Actually you gotta admit, it looks like Brandon has a point. He should show up now, though, not hold out until camp. He has HUGE leverage in that we already lost Cutler, and Weigmann is upset and might retire. That's all three of our Pro Bowlers. I SERIOUSLY doubt Pat wants to see any more stars leave ... he'll probably be very generous if this goes much further.

Cito Pelon
06-13-2009, 10:10 AM
This is a mistake ... by saying "if we can do it we will," was the wrong thing to say. He shouldda referred the question to Xanders. Xanders should be in charge of all that stuff.

Yah, I have to agree that came off as arrogant and an unnecessary statement.

FireFly
06-13-2009, 10:02 PM
I think a team first mentality is great.

But if you want the players to buy into that, they have to have the confidence that the team is going to look after them!

I think that's really what's at stake here.

Casey and Brandon aren't crying like little Jay did. They're being fairly professional. How these situations are dealt with is going to go a long way towards establishing a precedent for other players when their time comes to start thinking about contract negotiations.

fdf
06-13-2009, 10:12 PM

I strongly suspect it's going to take WAY more than a 1 m roster bonus to keep Marshall.