SonOfLe-loLang
06-12-2009, 10:08 AM
OH COME ****ING ON

Marshall a no-show at Broncos mini-camp
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/12/2009 10:00:34 AM MDT
Updated: 06/12/2009 10:04:37 AM MDT

Brandon Marshall (Post file)Broncos star receiver Brandon Marshall did not show up for the team's mandatory mini-camp as of this morning.

Marshall is in the final year of a four-year contract that will pay him $2.198 million this year.

Marshall, who is recovering from hip surgery, would not have been able to participate in the three practices this weekend, but was required to show up for rehab treatments.

Besides not being happy with his contract, Marshall has cited a lack of confidence in the Broncos medical team, saying the severity of his hip injury was misdiagnosed last season. The team could fine him because of his absence.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is expected to address the matter following the workout today.

tsiguy96
06-12-2009, 10:09 AM
he better have a damn good reason...

Garcia Bronco
06-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Good for him, I wouldn't let that idiot at Dove Valley touch me either.

bronclvr
06-12-2009, 10:12 AM
I guess Royal is now #1-

meangene
06-12-2009, 10:13 AM
What a stupid move on his part. With his trial postponed until August, we don't even know if he is going to be suspended. I would fine him and not negotiate with him at all. I say we take a serious look at Bolden now. If we are going to spend big money on a receiver, I want one with no off-field baggage who is completely healthy.

BroncoInSkinland
06-12-2009, 10:14 AM
This should be fun, McDaniels supporters on the right side, Marshall on the left. We all remember the words from Cutler/Mcdaniels, second verse, same as the first.

Beantown Bronco
06-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Good for him, I wouldn't let that idiot at Dove Valley touch me either.

Rumor has it, he's a Hokie.

Florida_Bronco
06-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Besides not being happy with his contract, Marshall has cited a lack of confidence in the Broncos medical team, saying the severity of his hip injury was misdiagnosed last season. The team could fine him because of his absence. Well, I can't say I blame him there.

DarkHorse
06-12-2009, 10:18 AM
.....and so it begins

BMarsh615
06-12-2009, 10:19 AM
None of our players have any respect for McDaniels Ha!

SonOfLe-loLang
06-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Well, I can't say I blame him there.

Oh, i can't blame him at all. Its just annoying that its coming to this. Regardless of Marshall's off the field issues, the man deserves a raise. You can actually probably get him now at a discount considering his off the field issues.

And the broncos really need new doctors. I think i could have diagnosed Cutler's Diabetes using WebMD.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-12-2009, 10:21 AM

Yeah, because he's the first player in the history of the NFL ever to hold out.

TailgateNut
Maybe he "fell" through another entertainment center.

Could be.

What a ****ing dickwad.

Garcia Bronco
Rumor has it, he's a Hokie.

Lies...all of them lies.

TonyR
06-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Maybe he "fell" through another entertainment center.

I was thinking the same thing. There could be a McDonald's bag between Brandon and Dove Valley.

broncofan2438
06-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Oh this is perfect....more freakn crap drama from Denver. Get it together!!!
You better be on the ****n field Marshall

bronco militia
06-12-2009, 10:24 AM
with the way things have gone this offseson, I'd be more surprised if BM plays another down for the Broncos

DenverBrit
06-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Oh, i can't blame him at all. Its just annoying that its coming to this. Regardless of Marshall's off the field issues, the man deserves a raise. You can actually probably get him now at a discount considering his off the field issues.

And the broncos really need new doctors. I think i could have diagnosed Cutler's Diabetes using WebMD.

No kidding.
Fatigue, weight loss?......an average GP would have checked blood sugar levels.

bronco militia
No kidding.

hey morons......cutler kept blowing off his blood tests

SonOfLe-loLang
No kidding.

and freqent urination...arent those three like the most telling signs>?

theAPAOps5
06-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Is he really this dumb. I can understand the fear of the medical staff but this is also about money.

He is in no position to want a new contract not when he is teetering on the edge of a lenghty suspension if he ****s up again. I am pretty sure he is just a dumb human being now.

vancejohnson82
06-12-2009, 10:27 AM
why would we give this guy an extension right now?

he is coming off an injury
he hasnt been cleared of his "latest" legal dispute
he's not showing up

come one...if you show up and get cleared maybe we can do what the Giants did last year and give you one at the end of training camp

TonyR
06-12-2009, 10:27 AM

Is this true or are you kidding?

TailgateNut
06-12-2009, 10:28 AM
I was thinking the same thing. There could be a McDonald's bag between Brandon and Dove Valley.

There IS a MCdees on Arapahoe Rd. He probably stopped in on the way to Dove Valley.

Gcver2ver3
06-12-2009, 10:28 AM
sheez, i can't breathe easy for even 1 minute dealing with these Broncos this year...

elsid13
06-12-2009, 10:29 AM

During the off season, the medical staff didn't do one during the season when he was dropping the weight.

DenverBrit
Marshall needs to get back to Denver and show that he's worth the a raise, and not just another problem child.

However, I'm sure that plenty will point out that McPoopyPants is the cause of his off-field incidents and hip injury and BM is justified holding out until he's handsomely rewarded.

bronco militia
During the off season, the medical staff didn't do one during the season when he was dropping the weight.

they scheduled them, but cutler blew them off.....

Popps
06-12-2009, 10:30 AM
This should be fun, McDaniels supporters on the right side, Marshall on the left. We all remember the words from Cutler/Mcdaniels, second verse, same as the first.

Really?

I'm missing what this has to do with McDaniels?

Sounds like a direct power-play on Marshall's part, to me. Only problem is, it's a very stupid one.

But, given Brandon's history... does anything stupid from him surprise anyone?

BMarsh615
06-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Yeah, because he's the first player in the history of the NFL ever to hold out.

I don't remember to many people pulling this crap when Shanahan was around. Portis and Lelie tried similar stuff and they were gone. Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, and Weigman have all tested McDaniels and he has only been here 6 months Ha!.

meangene
06-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Is he really this dumb. I can understand the fear of the medical staff but this is also about money.

He is in no position to want a new contract not when he is teetering on the edge of a lenghty suspension if he ****s up again. I am pretty sure he is just a dumb human being now.

Yep. You want to attribute all his off-the-field issues to his prior screwed up relationship but then you have the new charges (yes, I know they were dropped) and then this. He is a freakin idiot.

DenverBrit
06-12-2009, 10:32 AM

First I've heard of it. Link??

Beantown Bronco
06-12-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't remember to many people pulling this crap when Shanahan was around. Portis and Lelie tried similar stuff and they were gone. Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, and Weigman have all tested McDaniels and he has only been here 6 months Ha!.

Schef? Schef has actually done nothing but kiss McDaniels' @ss.

Traveler
06-12-2009, 10:33 AM
If there's one thing that McDaniels has firmly established is he doesn't tolerate this type of stuff. Don't be shocked if Marshall isn't with us this season.

I agree he might have legitmate issues with the medical staff. Rod Smith basically endured a season with the same type injury. They failed to diagnose the possible reason of our former QB's weight loss.

That said, Marshall is still under contract and no promises were made to re-negotiate as is the case with Wiegmann.

BMarsh615
06-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Schef? Schef has actually done nothing but kiss McDaniels' @ss.

Back when the Cutler vs McDaniels feud first started Scheffler didn't show to the first set of OTA's.

yerner
06-12-2009, 10:35 AM
who cares.

Br0nc0Buster
06-12-2009, 10:36 AM

I heard that a while back, Jay admitted he kept blowing off doctor appointments because he "hates doctors"

I dont have the link, I am just vouching for that guy I remember hearing this a while back

DenverBrit
06-12-2009, 10:36 AM

Cutler threw a hissy fit.

Scheffler tested him how??

Marshal and Weigman are unhappy with the contracts Shanny gave them.

Anytime a new boss arrives, there are always some who will try an justify more money......in any business.

TailgateNut
06-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Just set him up on a blind date with an outspoken woman at a McDonalds which has an a TV. He'll be suspended in a nanosecond.

BroncoInSkinland
06-12-2009, 10:37 AM

Agreed, if he really had oncerns about the medical staff, keep it quiet. go to McDaniels tell him you want to rehab outside the facility with your own doctors. As for the money, I think he deserves it, but is in no position to demand it. I hope McDaniels finds a quiet way to resolve this, maybe a one year heavily performance based contract with an additional contract provisional upon him staying out of legal trouble. Unfortunately, as little as I trust B-Marsh to stay out of trouble, I trust McDaniels to handle it discreetly even less. Gonna get ugly is my bet.

chawknz
06-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Another wasted jersey. First #6, now this. I will refrain from buying a Royal jersey in fear I'll jinx him off the team as well.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-12-2009, 10:38 AM

But Portis and Lelie did pull it, regardless of the outcome. Did Pryce hold out too? I cant remember if he did or just squabbled about his contract alot. I still don't think Marshall is "testing" McDaniels. He wants a ****in new contract and since football contracts aren't guarenteed and its a possibility your career can be over in one play, i dont BLAME him for tryingt o get paid now. timing is a bit curious, but i dont blame him. his on the field numbers suggest he should get a raise.

BabyTO
06-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Let's wait and see what coach and Marshall say about this. Too early to get crazy about this when you basically have no information. He's not even healthy, so he can't participate anyhow. Maybe he wants to continue to rehab where he is right now.

outdoor_miner
06-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Well - this is just great. Ugh. Not a smart move, and not good for the Broncos.

I really don't understand what the guy is thinking. How can you have this laundry list of problems, and expect the team to renegotiate your contract? Or - how can you pull a power-play to try and do it? Doesn't make sense to me... Probably another agent whispering sweet nothings....

"Listen B-Marsh. The Broncos had a PR nightmare with Cutler. The last thing they want is one with another star player. We can use this to our advantage. A little hold out, and they'll cave! It's Gold, B-Marsh, Gold!!!"

:cuss:

Beantown Bronco
Back when the Cutler vs McDaniels feud first started Scheffler didn't show to the first set of OTA's.

It's my understanding he missed one optional meeting in early March....and has had perfect attendance since. He has hardly "tested" McDaniels. If so, he'd be gone, plain and simple. He has absolutely no leverage to test anyone.

Beantown Bronco
"He's not my favorite person right now"

"It's always something with him."

TailgateNut
But Portis and Lelie did pull it, regardless of the outcome. Did Pryce hold out too? I cant remember if he did or just squabbled about his contract alot. I still don't think Marshall is "testing" McDaniels. He wants a ****in new contract and since football contracts aren't guarenteed and its a possibility your career can be over in one play, i dont BLAME him for tryingt o get paid now. timing is a bit curious, but i dont blame him. his on the field numbers suggest he should get a raise.

You are kidding.

This ProblemChild has been on the front page more often than Elway. He needs to grow up, man up, and then reap the reward for his talents. This assbackwards way of "negotiations" will backfire. I guarantee.

Popps
06-12-2009, 10:42 AM

... Sheffler has no new contract, Weigman has no new contract (and has wanted one up to this point) and Cutler is gone.

Oh, and Marshall has no new contract.

So, seems like business as usual, to me.

BroncoBuff
06-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Marshall has cited a lack of confidence in the Broncos medical team, saying the severity of his hip injury was misdiagnosed last season.

Can't argue with this ... we've heard and seen evidence of this time and time again.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-12-2009, 10:43 AM
You are kidding.

This ProblemChild has been on the front page more often than Elway. He needs to grow up, man up, and then reap the reward for his talents. This assbackwards way of "negotiations" will backfire. I guarantee.

Im not claiming its a smart move at all...im saying i understand why he wants to get paid now. Holding out certainly isnt a new tactic and it doesnt always end badly. Ask Emmitt Smith

NFLBRONCO
06-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Trade him to Seattle and get our #1 back.

BMarsh615
06-12-2009, 10:44 AM

I don't think Pryce held out, I think Shanahan decided not to resign him when his contract expired.

None of this stuff would have happened on Shanahan's watch. It rarely happened in his 14 years here.

Popps
You are kidding.

I think his point is that others have tried the same thing, regardless of the coach. Someone tried to blame this on the staff, and he was correctly pointing out that this isn't about the staff. This has happened many times in the past.

In fact, it happens every off-season with a good portion of the teams in the league.

Problem is, Marshall has no bargaining leverage. He's an idiot, and you're 100% correct that this is ass-backwards.

TailgateNut
Can't argue with this ... we've heard and seen evidence of this time and time again.

But that does not excuse his absence from mandetory camp.

tsiguy96
06-12-2009, 10:45 AM
marshall is my favorite bronco, but this would be stupid if he doesnt show up tomorrow....

SonOfLe-loLang
06-12-2009, 10:46 AM
I don't think Pryce held out, I think Shanahan decided not to resign him when his contract expired.

None of this stuff would have happened on Shanahan's watch. It rarely happened in his 14 years here.

Actually, if i recall, they cut him, but were always arguing with him abouthis contract. And Shanahan certainlyhad his problems with players, lets not forget that. But youre an authoritative figure dealing with big children, its gonna happen regardless

kamakazi_kal
Marshall needs to get back to Denver and show that he's worth the a raise, and not just another problem child.

Yeah dude has issues but his last 2 seasons have been stellar. It all stems from the CBA. It's also likley his stats will dip this season while Royals go up, he would lose some of his leverage.

I wonder how Mcd/Bowlen will handle this one. If we were to lose Cutler and Marshall that would be a PR nightmare for them.

Beantown Bronco

Weigmann hasn't held out, so you have to be consistent here. You have to either include only the "holdouts" or you have to include anyone who's unhappy with their contracts. But you can't mix and match to support your side of the argument.

And, BTW, you are forgetting Tatum Bell. He held out his rookie year and Shanny didn't do a damn thing about it except vent to the media.

TailgateNut
06-12-2009, 10:47 AM
marshall is my favorite bronco, but this would be stupid if he doesnt show up tomorrow....

Tomorrow?

Everytime I schedule meetings, I give the attendees a one day window. Hilarious!

How about a quick e-mail to BM (Bowel movement): "You are currently on the payroll and are a no-show. This is in violation of your contract. Carry your worthless childish ass to camp immediately, or face the concequences!"

BroncoInSkinland
06-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Really?

Sounds like a direct power-play on Marshall's part, to me. Only problem is, it's a very stupid one.

Lot of other people on here seem to see it as having something to do with McDaniels. I was commenting more on the board than the situation. It'll be ok, smile some wouldya? ;)

DenverBrit
06-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah dude has issues but his last 2 seasons have been stellar. It all stems from the CBA. It's also likley his stats will dip this season while Royals go up, he would lose some of his leverage.

I wonder how Mcd/Bowlen will handle this one. If we were to lose Cutler and Marshall that would be a PR nightmare for them.

It would, indeed.

It's the product of trying to create a 'team' first attitude when some young players think it's all about them.

The fur will fly.

kamakazi_kal
06-12-2009, 10:54 AM
If you think about it signing marshall with all his issues could be a smart move (kind of) you could put so many outs in the guys contract.

You give him a decent deal with a bunch of outs and if he f's up you can cut him and recoup all the cash.

Orton would struggle allot without Marsh and Royal on the field at the 1 and 2 spot IMO.

Rohirrim
As the Dove Valley Turns: Let the drama continue! :pity:

theAPAOps5
Just got a text from CBS. Marshall is a no show but is in town and scheduled to meet with Bowlen later today. Nothing good will come of this.

DenverBrit
06-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Just got a text from CBS. Marshall is a no show but is in town and scheduled to meet with Bowlen later today. Nothing good will come of this.

If he makes the meeting, he's handling the situation with more maturity than Cutler and his agent.

Taco John
06-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Not that it matters, but I don't believe Marshall would have pulled this with Shanahan...

elsid13
06-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Why do I get the feeling that Shanahan promised a number of the guys new contracts and McDaniels/Xanders haven't made those promises from the past regime come to fruition

elsid13
06-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Not that it matters, but I don't believe Marshall would have pulled this with Shanahan...

He wouldn't because Shanahan would have paid him. The last year of the contract is when Shanahan took care of those that performed well above their rookie contracts.

bronco militia
06-12-2009, 11:00 AM

the link is dead, but I have the quote:

"We wish we would have caught it towards the end of the season, and that's probably my fault, because we were trying to schedule a blood test but I had a lot of things going on. And once the season ended, everybody kind of scatters around here," Cutler said. "But I think we caught it relatively soon. And talking to the doctors, if I get this under control, there shouldn't be any long-term damage."

Mr Chatterboodamn
06-12-2009, 11:02 AM
no, marshall, don't re-sign with the Broncos...most everyone there thinks you're a "flavor clown" and your QB will likely not have the accuracy & velocity of jay so your relative lack of speed will be exposed

bronco militia
06-12-2009, 11:02 AM
oh here it is

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/may/02/cutler-says-diabetes-wont-affect-him-on-field/

Punisher
06-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh man this Off Season never stops! LOL

kamakazi_kal
06-12-2009, 11:04 AM
He wouldn't because Shanahan would have paid him. The last year of the contract is when Shanahan took care of those that performed well above their rookie contracts.

Well it's not a cap issue, I know that much.

elsid13
06-12-2009, 11:05 AM
just remember off season drama usually means a poor regular season.

vancejohnson82
06-12-2009, 11:08 AM

I disagree...the fact that Marshall will take time out of his busy schedule to meet with a minion like Bowlen shows a least some respect towards the organization

jbiel
06-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Maybe our overpaid long snapper can borrow Brandon some money...

BroncoBuff
Yup, and B-Marsh did far more than just "perform well," he elevated his game to an elite level.

Now it's awkward for the team, in that Marshall was cleared of his latest problem, that gives the team less justification to ignore the contract issue. Marshall is foolish to be a no-show, he'd put more pressure on them if he took the high road.

UberBroncoMan
Honestly this **** doesn't even phase me anymore. The days of stability are over. With everything that's gone on this year so far I honestly don't give a rats ass about what's going on. If Marshall is going to be a bitch about stuff, **** him. I don't care if it makes us worse, as we've already done moves like that this off season. If he's gona pull this **** trade his ass w/e.

kamakazi_kal
06-12-2009, 11:11 AM
I disagree...the fact that Marshall will take time out of his busy schedule to meet with a minion like Bowlen shows a least some respect towards the organization

ha ha ...... just wait.

They haven't gotten face to face just yet.

Punisher
06-12-2009, 11:11 AM

I know this doesn't look good but I'm all for trading him for a 2nd round pick.

And if some crazy reason the Ravens want to trade Ngata For him I will start doing a Happy Dance

DenverBrit
06-12-2009, 11:14 AM
oh here it is

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/may/02/cutler-says-diabetes-wont-affect-him-on-field/

Thanks.

This is what I remember from the story in the link:

He and the team's medical staff chalked up his declining physical condition last year to the rigors of his first full NFL season as a starter.

fdf
06-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Really?

Just wait. Someone will blame it on McDaniels.

But I think Marshall may have more bargaining power now than you think. McDaniels is still smarting from the "YOU LOST JAY MF CUTLER!!!!%%#$%" stuff. He'll probably be a little gun shy of playing the hardball with Marshall that Marshall probably deserves after this stunt.

Too bad it happened. But I have figured for a couple of years now that Marshall was eventually a holdout and that he would end up elsewhere. He's one of those guys that lugs a lot of big drama around with him.

What really sucks about it happening now is his trade value is nil, given his personal and physical problems and that he is in the last year of his contract. So we're likely to lose a darn good receiver and get nothing for him. OTOH, we may as well get this next, and maybe final, installment of the BIG MARSHALL DRAMA out of the way this offseason. It'll be a fairly small distraction compared to everything else that has been going on. It would be lousy if the team starts to gel at the end of next season and had to confront it then.

And, it'll give folks on the Mane something to scream about and blame on McDaniels before training camp.

oubronco
06-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Just wait. I blame it on McDaniels

fixed it for ya

HEAV
06-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Great football player, but again, between the ears he's empty.

BroncoBuff
06-12-2009, 11:21 AM
But that does not excuse his absence from mandetory camp.

Exactly ... he should show up at minicamp regardless of whatever issues exist might exist with the medical team. It's not like they could damage him with whirlpools and massages :nono:

He should definitely be there ... he'd have more leverage from the high ground than from home. And he should understand that because he's an elite player now, the contract will be enormous ... that's not the kind of thing a team would throw together in a week or two to satisfy a childish holdout. It takes time.

BroncoBuff
06-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Just wait. Someone will blame it on McDaniels.

This has nothing to do with Josh.

meangene
06-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Yup, and B-Marsh did far more than just "perform well," he elevated his game to an elite level.

Now it's awkward for the team, in that Marshall was cleared of his latest problem, that gives the team less justification to ignore the contract issue. Marshall is foolish to be a no-show, he'd put more pressure on them if he took the high road.

He goes to trial in August for the charges with his ex and the league has said it will re-evaluate his situation after that. The league was very clear that it only cleared him of the latest charges with his fiance. His only "high road" is to come to camp, be healthy, play well, not get suspended and make it through one year with no off-field issues. Even if he becomes a restricted free agent after this year, he would get a nice contract if he did all those things.

vancejohnson82
06-12-2009, 11:34 AM
He goes to trial in August for the charges with his ex and the league has said it will re-evaluate his situation after that. The league was very clear that it only cleared him of the latest charges with his fiance. His only "high road" is to come to camp, be healthy, play well, not get suspended and make it through one year with no off-field issues. Even if he becomes a restricted free agent after this year, he would get a nice contract if he did all those things.

yes....

but undoubtedly someone is in his ear saying, "what if you get suspended for 3 games, come back and tear your ACL? you won't make anywhere near the money you want"

Beantown Bronco
06-12-2009, 11:36 AM
yes....

but undoubtedly someone is in his ear saying, "what if you get suspended for 3 games, come back and tear your ACL? you won't make anywhere near the money you want"

Someone should whisper in the other ear, "the less you make, the less you'll have to pay your future wife in alimony when you're divorced in a year or so."

outdoor_miner
06-12-2009, 11:37 AM

This is what I don't get... He still has the trial (and possible suspension) looming over his head. What position is he in to hold out? I suppose I could understand his thinking (without necessarily agreeing with it) if everything was 100% behind him. But there are still some serious questions about whether or not he will be suspended for a lengthy time.

theAPAOps5
06-12-2009, 11:39 AM

Good points raised about actually meeting with Bowlen. Cutler should take notes for when his mangina gets hurt in Chicago.

bronco militia
06-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Someone should whisper in the other ear, "the less you make, the less you'll have to pay your future wife in alimony when you're divorced in a year or so."

LOL...

vancejohnson82

would you really want to be the one to have to explain fractions to Brandon?

tsiguy96
lets wait to find out the real reason for the hold out before freaking out i thinks...

footstepsfrom#27

Actually he IS in the position to not only want, but receive a new contract since it's not based on what we think is appropriate, but what the market will bear. Look at TO...after all his problems even now he still has a team to play for. The Cowboys paid him big money knowing full well the potential for disruption. I don't know what Buffalo is paying but if you think some team (Bears?) won't jump at the chance to sign this guy if we don't want to pay him then you've got way to much confidence in the ability of NFL owners to make wise decisions.

He'll get his money, whether it's here or not.

I don't buy the medical thing. I think that's a ploy. So maybe he's actually smarter than people are giving him credit for. Or perhaps his agent Kennard McGuire is.

Besides all this...does anyone seriously think he's not worth more than Bowlen's paying him now?

SureShot
06-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Smart move on Marshalls part. His numbers next year are definitely going down .

meangene
06-12-2009, 11:43 AM
This is what I don't get... He still has the trial (and possible suspension) looming over his head. What position is he in to hold out? I suppose I could understand his thinking (without necessarily agreeing with it) if everything was 100% behind him. But there are still some serious questions about whether or not he will be suspended for a lengthy time.

Not to mention he is not healthy. :kiddingme

Rohirrim
06-12-2009, 11:46 AM
How much leverage have the WRs had in the Belichick system? I'm not sayin. I'm just sayin.

TailgateNut
06-12-2009, 11:47 AM

..and someone should wisper into that hole he has in his head "Get your **** together ya flava clown".

Punisher
06-12-2009, 11:47 AM
How much leverage have the WRs had in the Belichick system? I'm not sayin. I'm just sayin.

Randy Moss

meangene
06-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Actually he IS in the position to not only want, but receive a new contract since it's not based on what we think is appropriate, but what the market will bear. Look at TO...after all his problems even now he still has a team to play for. The Cowboys paid him big money knowing full well the potential for disruption. I don't know what Buffalo is paying but if you think some team (Bears?) won't jump at the chance to sign this guy if we don't want to pay him then you've got way to much confidence in the ability of NFL owners to make wise decisions.

He'll get his money, whether it's here or not.

I don't buy the medical thing. I think that's a ploy. So maybe he's actually smarter than people are giving him credit for. Or perhaps his agent Kennard McGuire is.

Besides all this...does anyone seriously think he's not worth more than Bowlen's paying him now?

I hope you are right. Then we might actually get some value for him in a trade. Because if we don't, and he holds out, I can see him rotting for the next year.

theAPAOps5
06-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Smart move on Marshalls part. His numbers next year are definitely going down .

What is he going to drop the ball more? Or just showing your ignorance by insinuating that Orton sucks and won't get the ball to him because he has no arm for deep balls? Even though the McD system relies on shorter routes and YAC? Which will actually benefit Marshall?

Just curious is all?

:wiggle:

Popps
06-12-2009, 11:56 AM

Dude, you're ****ing wrong. Drop it.

Trevor Pryce HELD OUT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/07/29/sports/nfl-roundup-pryce-s-holdout-may-be-long.html

This kind of bull**** (and other) happened CONSTANTLY during Shanahan's tenure.

-iHop
-Dale Carter
-Mo Clarett
-Lie DetectorGate
-Travis Henry

... and on and on.

Shanahan is the guy who brought Marshall's dumb ass to Denver in the first place.

So, you made an ill-advised point and you were wrong. Shanahan's team has been a ****ing circus for a decade. The notion that this is some unique situation brought about by new management is idiotic.

Holdouts are part of football. It's nothing to do with what a coach will "put up with."

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 11:56 AM
What is he going to drop the ball more? Or just showing your ignorance by insinuating that Orton sucks and won't get the ball to him because he has no arm for deep balls? Even though the McD system relies on shorter routes and YAC? Which will actually benefit Marshall?

Just curious is all?

Don't you think it's obvious that we'll be much more of a running team this year? If for no other reason than the fact we drafted Moreno and to keep the defense rested Marshall will not catch 100 balls this year. Nor should he if we want to remain competitive.

theAPAOps5
06-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Don't you think it's obvious that we'll be much more of a running team this year? If for no other reason than the fact we drafted Moreno and to keep the defense rested Marshall will not catch 100 balls this year. Nor should he if we want to remain competitive.

Thats not the point. I know where sureshot is going with that and just busting his balls!

SureShot
06-12-2009, 11:57 AM

Just curious is all?

Buy or sell: Brandon's numbers will be better than last years 104 catches for 1265 yards and 6 TDs

Remember he will be sharing the ball with I assume an improved Royal next year.

SureShot
06-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Thats not the point. I know where sureshot is going with that and just busting his balls!

Thats it we are meeting at the Fairplay truckstop biatch!

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Marshall's making a little over $2 million a year, which is way underpaid for what he's doing on the field. It would be smart to sign him now, not wait till next year when he's unrestricted. Even if he does get suspended for a few games, he's going to command probably 3 times that money next year.

Drek
06-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Buy or sell: Brandon's numbers will be better than last years 104 catches for 1265 yards and 6 TDs

Randy Moss had arguably the greatest single season by a WR ever in McDaniels' system, while the slot WR on the same team had a 100 catch, 1K yardage season.

If Marshall is healthy, shows up, learns the offense, and gets over his case of the dropsies from last year he could easily match or eclipse his '08 numbers, especially when it comes to touchdowns.

theAPAOps5
06-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Thats it we are meeting at the Fairplay truckstop biatch!

Leaving now I suggest you take Cottonwood Pass and enjoy the scenery while you can!

Beantown Bronco
06-12-2009, 12:02 PM
lets wait to find out the real reason for the hold out before freaking out i thinks...

Why? Wait for what? What reason would make missing mandatory team events acceptable in your opinion (other than a family death or something along those lines, which isn't the case here if he's taking the time for a meeting with Bowlen in Denver)?

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Randy Moss had arguably the greatest single season by a WR ever in McDaniels' system, while the slot WR on the same team had a 100 catch, 1K yardage season.

If Marshall is healthy, shows up, learns the offense, and gets over his case of the dropsies from last year he could easily match or eclipse his '08 numbers, especially when it comes to touchdowns.
But NE also had a defense. If we're not focusing more on the running game, why draft Moreno?

vancejohnson82
06-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Why? Wait for what? What reason would make missing mandatory team events acceptable in your opinion (other than a family death or something along those lines, which isn't the case here if he's taking the time for a meeting with Bowlen in Denver)?

Well, Plaxico had to drive his kids to school last year....that was a good excuse

Florida_Bronco
06-12-2009, 12:04 PM

Catches and yards go down, TDs go up. :thumbsup:

SureShot
06-12-2009, 12:04 PM

Come on now Drek. I will concede that Orton is somewhat of an unknown, but to say he has a chance to match maybe the greatest statistcal season by a QB is laughable.

Orton=/= Brady

BroncoBuff
06-12-2009, 12:05 PM

Definitely. The opportunity for B-Marsh to move into that Moss role in this offense should thrill him beyond any selfish incentive to hold out. Holding out here is counter-productive to Brandon in every concievable way.

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Maybe Marshall wants to force a trade now, and this medical thing is his way of getting his version of the story out there before Pat Bowlen writes the fans a letter explaining why he's gone. ;D

SureShot
06-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Leaving now I suggest you take Cottonwood Pass and enjoy the scenery while you can!

I am replying to this post in my truck. Say good bye to the Mrs.

theAPAOps5
06-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Out the door myself. Got my throat punching gloves. My prediction...... PAIN!

Popps
06-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Definitely. The opportunity for B-Marsh to move into that Moss role in this offense should thrill him beyond any selfish incentive to hold out. Holding out here is counter-productive to Brandon in every concievable way.

Wow. What a management suck-up!

!Booya!

worm
06-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Snuggie fight. Awesome. Call Dortoh so he can get in on the action.

Taco John
06-12-2009, 12:10 PM
What the hell was lie-detector gate?

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 12:12 PM

The two have a very different game.

Moss is an athletic freak and an insane leaper with the greatest body control I've ever seen.

Brandon is a mauler that takes pride and enjoys beating up and embarassing little guys trying to tackle him.

McDaniels seem very offensively smart, and I expect him to take full of advantage of this situation.

However, my expectations don't make it a reality. I expect bump fronts on him, with an OLB shading to bracket AND S help over the top. It's EXTREMELY realistic that Orton cannot deliver the ball in that situation, and hopefully he makes the smart decision and hits Eddie in a zone opening or Moreno/Hillis out of the backfield.

Regardless, SureShot's point is valid, imo.

meangene
06-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Marshall's making a little over $2 million a year, which is way underpaid for what he's doing on the field. It would be smart to sign him now, not wait till next year when he's unrestricted. Even if he does get suspended for a few games, he's going to command probably 3 times that money next year.

Um, he could well miss a lot more than a few games, he is already a one time offender under the league conduct policy and could be a two time offender, he has not demonstrated for one season that he can stay out of trouble, and he is injured. And, now he is holding out? Smart to sign him now? I don't think so. I'd rather pay more money later if he gets his act together or pay the money to someone who I know is healthy and not facing league suspension.

footstepsfrom#27
What the hell was lie-detector gate?
Shanny supposedly gave that stiff receiver we had a lie detector test after he got into a fight at a party and got arrested for assault...can't remember his name even. ??? Someone?

Beantown Bronco
It would be smart to sign him now, not wait till next year when he's unrestricted. Even if he does get suspended for a few games, he's going to command probably 3 times that money next year.

Nope. He'll be restricted next year and, if the Broncos wanted to play hardball with their tender, could be under contract for basically the same $ he's playing for this year. And no team would match it because they'd have to give up too many picks.

He has very little leverage here.

TheReverend
Shanny supposedly gave that stiff receiver we had a lie detector test after he got into a fight at a party and got arrested for assault...can't remember his name even. ??? Someone?

Are you kidding?!?!?

David "You have no idea what I'm capable of" Kircus!

SureShot
06-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Out the door myself. Got my throat punching gloves. My prediction...... PAIN!

I recommend picking up one of these on the way.

http://www.medgadget.com/archives/img/bmw-neck-brace.jpg

Maybe I will swing by and pick up Hotrod so he can give an eye witness account of your demise.

Beantown Bronco

Kircus aka Subway

TheReverend
Eat fresh:

http://archive.profootballtalk.com/KircusJared.jpg

Rock Chalk
06-12-2009, 12:15 PM
There seems to be two legitimate sides to this.

1) Marshall has performed well above his paygrade, and is deserving of a raise based on his performance on the field. He is in the final year of his contract. He knows his off the field antics wont garner as much money from many teams as he may get with the BNroncos, couple that with his injury any reasonable person can see WHY he is doing it.

2) The Broncos are nervous about Marshall's off the field antics and his hip injury. They are concerned about giving him a big payday only to see their star WR get suspended for a lengthy period of time and/or reaggravate an injury that could seriously hamper his natural talents.

Looking at it from both sides, I understand both view points and, oddly enough, agree with both view points. Personally, I think Marshall is worth the risk right now. Restructure his contract and get him paid while he is cheap. The risk is certainly high with the off-field issues and the possible injury issue, but the payoff is much higher and he can be had cheaper now than later.

Taco John
06-12-2009, 12:18 PM

Huh... I don't remember a thing about this, and here it has it's own "gate."

theAPAOps5
06-12-2009, 12:19 PM

Oh man it was all the rage when it happened. It was all over the news and there were tons of jokes. He used it again on Travis Henry.

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Um, he could well miss a lot more than a few games, he is already a one time offender under the league conduct policy and could be a two time offender, he has not demonstrated for one season that he can stay out of trouble, and he is injured. And, now he is holding out? Smart to sign him now? I don't think so. I'd rather pay more money later if he gets his act together or pay the money to someone who I know is healthy and not facing league suspension.
He was injured last year also and people thought he was going to struggle, then he snags 18 passes his first game. If the hip surgery were anything that was going to keep him out we would have heard more about it by now. He's been cleared of most of the charges and the league at most would probably give him 4 games. The larger point is this...just because you WANT to sign him next year, means nothing. He can bolt for free if he chooses to do so and right now...Bowlen & Co. haven't exactly shown themselves smart savvy handlers of disgrunteld players of late. If he thinks he's getting dissed, true or not...say goodbye to that 100 catches/1300 yards.

Orton needs all the help he can get. It would be a PR abortion to let him go on the heels of the Cutler fiasco, and it would send a message to other guys that a long snapper with McD's name on speed dial gets $5 million but an all pro reciever from the Shanny regime gets shown the door.

Bowlen/McD need to avoid like the plague any more controversy for the forseable future.

BroncoBuff
David Kircus, remember? "You have no idea what I'm capable of!"

bronco militia

pft made a big deal about it....May 2007

Taco John
There seems to be two legitimate sides to this.

1) Marshall has performed well above his paygrade, and is deserving of a raise based on his performance on the field. He is in the final year of his contract. He knows his off the field antics wont garner as much money from many teams as he may get with the BNroncos, couple that with his injury any reasonable person can see WHY he is doing it.

2) The Broncos are nervous about Marshall's off the field antics and his hip injury. They are concerned about giving him a big payday only to see their star WR get suspended for a lengthy period of time and/or reaggravate an injury that could seriously hamper his natural talents.

Looking at it from both sides, I understand both view points and, oddly enough, agree with both view points. Personally, I think Marshall is worth the risk right now. Restructure his contract and get him paid while he is cheap. The risk is certainly high with the off-field issues and the possible injury issue, but the payoff is much higher and he can be had cheaper now than later.

I basically see it the same way, except that I'm not convinced that Marshall is everything that people think he is. The guy is afraid to go over the middle. That bugs me for a guy his size, because that's where his bread should be buttered.

Garcia Bronco
06-12-2009, 12:21 PM

Actually The WR in question asked for the LD test.

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Are you kidding?!?!?

David "You have no idea what I'm capable of" Kircus!
Right...sorry, the memory is the first thing to go at 50...well maybe 2nd...knees hit the skids a few years ago. ;D

Popps
06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Oh man it was all the rage when it happened. It was all over the news and there were tons of jokes. He used it again on Travis Henry.

I couldn't figure out whether to laugh or just be embarrassed for the franchise.

So, I just laughed. That was friggin' classic.

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Right...sorry, the memory is the first thing to go at 50...well maybe 2nd...knees hit the skids a few years ago. ;D

50?

Your penis went a long time ago.

(Applause or did I whiff?)

Taco John
06-12-2009, 12:23 PM
pft made a big deal about it....May 2007

Ah, no wonder... I pretty much avoid threads that say PFT in them.

Rock Chalk
06-12-2009, 12:24 PM
I basically see it the same way, except that I'm not convinced that Marshall is everything that people think he is. The guy is afraid to go over the middle. That bugs me for a guy his size, because that's where his bread should be buttered.

WTF are you talking about Isaac?

Ive seen Brandon wreck havoc over the middle. He is one of the few that does.

theAPAOps5
06-12-2009, 12:24 PM
It was a hot topic regardless of PFT tainting it with their Bob. I have decided to substitute all negative words with Bob by the way :)

vancejohnson82
06-12-2009, 12:25 PM
50?

I give it an applause...unless its true

in which case i give it a standing O

I'm all for classless, deragatory humor

Taco John
06-12-2009, 12:25 PM
WTF are you talking about Isaac?

Ive seen Brandon wreck havoc over the middle. He is one of the few that does.

With what team? He hasn't been wreacking much havoc with the Broncos over the middle. That's where he drops most of his balls.

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 12:26 PM
50?

Oddly enough, it's working just fine. !Booya!

Beantown Bronco
06-12-2009, 12:26 PM
The larger point is this...just because you WANT to sign him next year, means nothing. He can bolt for free if he chooses to do so

No he can't.

SureShot
06-12-2009, 12:27 PM

Your pills must be as blue as your avatar.

kamakazi_kal
06-12-2009, 12:28 PM

brady>orton

We run the Sh*t out of the ball this year if we want to win..... protect that still not very improved D

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Your pills must be as blue as your avatar.
No...but I have a hot wife. ;D

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 12:29 PM

Well it had 50 years of rest!

http://instantrimshot.com/

Taco John
06-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I thought having a hot wife/girlfriend was a requirement for posting on the Internet...

Rock Chalk
06-12-2009, 12:30 PM
With what team? He hasn't been wreacking much havoc with the Broncos over the middle. That's where he drops most of his balls.

Really? You got a chart to back that up? I see most of his dropped balls on the sidelines when he has press-man coverage on him.

Los Broncos
06-12-2009, 12:31 PM
oh man what is next.

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Well it had 50 years of rest!

http://instantrimshot.com/
Hilarious! Then where'd all these kids come from? :strong:

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 12:32 PM
I thought having a hot wife/girlfriend was a requirement for posting on the Internet...
Yet you allow Bob to stay. ;D

That deserves a rimshot...no?

SureShot
06-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Hilarious! Then where'd all these kids come from? :strong:

http://www.vermario.com/home/files/milkman.jpg

Taco John
06-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Really? You got a chart to back that up? I see most of his dropped balls on the sidelines when he has press-man coverage on him.

No chart. I'd like to see/make one. I was cussing him out all season because of this. There were some routes where the inside was open, and he would break the route deep instead, into coverage.

I think the guy is mentally weak.

HILife
06-12-2009, 12:34 PM
sheez, i can't breathe easy for even 1 minute dealing with these Broncos this year...

I know it's been one drama after another.

LittleFloyd
06-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Hey BMarsh, you have proved once again, once a dumba$$, always a dumba$$.

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 12:36 PM
http://www.vermario.com/home/files/milkman.jpg
:redpunch:

elsid13
06-12-2009, 12:36 PM

It not the press coverage, those drops come when he doesn't have chance to watch the ball leave the QB's hands. Marshall had hard time picking up the ball when his back his turned to the release. That one of the reasons the coaches last year started to position to square up to QB in the short screens and crosses. Royal is much better on relocating the ball when it is in flight then Marshall does.

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 12:37 PM
:redpunch:

Until this discussion ships into appropriate shape, I have decided to "Footsteps is impotent" jack it for my own amusement.

Apologies sir, but its something youll need to cope with.

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 12:41 PM
It not the press coverage, those drops come when he doesn't have chance to watch the ball level the QB's hands. Marshall had hard time picking up the ball when his back his turned to the release. That one of the reasons the coaches last year started to position to square up to QB in the short screens and crosses. Royal is much better on relocating the ball when it is in flight then Marshall does.
Whatever his deficiencies, he commands respect from the defense and removing him from this offense would put a huge amount of pressure on Eddie Royal. I don't think I want a 190 pound receiver taking that kind of abuse all season. And since our lone pass catching threat at TE is also injury prone, it would make ZERO sense to let Marshall go right now. If nothing else sign him for two years and see how he does, but letting him go over something as stupid as refusing to up his paultry $2 million when we just paid a freaking long snapper a ridiculous contract would be the height of sheer lunacy.

SureShot
06-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Until this discussion ships into appropriate shape, I have decided to "Footsteps is impotent" jack it for my own amusement.

Can you imagine your crank not working for fifty years? The US post office is more productive.

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 12:42 PM

I've seen worse in here. :rofl:

meangene
06-12-2009, 12:43 PM
He was injured last year also and people thought he was going to struggle, then he snags 18 passes his first game. If the hip surgery were anything that was going to keep him out we would have heard more about it by now. He's been cleared of most of the charges and the league at most would probably give him 4 games. The larger point is this...just because you WANT to sign him next year, means nothing. He can bolt for free if he chooses to do so and right now...Bowlen & Co. haven't exactly shown themselves smart savvy handlers of disgrunteld players of late. If he thinks he's getting dissed, true or not...say goodbye to that 100 catches/1300 yards.

Orton needs all the help he can get. It would be a PR abortion to let him go on the heels of the Cutler fiasco, and it would send a message to other guys that a long snapper with McD's name on speed dial gets $5 million but an all pro reciever from the Shanny regime gets shown the door.

Bowlen/McD need to avoid like the plague any more controversy for the forseable future.

Fact is, he has yet to perform on the field following the hip surgery and the hip clearly hampered him later in the season last year. Until he does, it's an unknown. Don't know where you get the "at most" four games suspension from but, I suspect if he is found guilty in court, he will get at least 8 games and likely more. He is not in position to bolt for free agency for at least two years and would be stuck next year with basically the same contract he has now.

I agree we need a receiver of his talents on the field but you have to look at the bigger picture. What kind of message does caving in to his holdout send? The guy has done nothing to show he is the type of person we can trust to invest a big contract in or build a team around. If he is willing to come in and perform this season and demonstrate he can be that guy, then pay him. Otherwise, I don't think the PR will be as much in Marshall's favor as you may think. And, I don't think McD cares about the PR anyway - he is going to build this team with the type of players that fit his system of high character guys who think team first. In the long run, that means more success on the field which is the best PR around.

There is nothing to say we could not look elsewhere to improve our receiving corps if it looks like this is going to be a prolonged situation. Personally, I would take Boldin over Marshall any day.

outdoor_miner
06-12-2009, 12:45 PM
If nothing else sign him for two years and see how he does, but letting him go over something as stupid as refusing to up his paultry $2 million when we just paid a freaking long snapper a ridiculous contract would be the height of sheer lunacy.

Here we go again... How do you have any idea what he is demanding and what the Broncos are offering? Is it not possible that Brandon and his agent are asking for a big pay increase? Should the Broncos just cave in and give that to him?

You automatically assign blame when you have no idea what the details are.

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Can you imagine your crank not working for fifty years? The US post office is more productive.

No wonder he turns everything into a race issue!

I'd be mad the world if I couldn't get it up either. :)

fdf
06-12-2009, 12:51 PM
fixed it for ya

Cool. Didn't want to look foolish :)

BMarsh615
06-12-2009, 12:52 PM
I wonder why Marshall is going to meet with Bowlen???

Marshall Doesn't Show At Camp, To Meet With Bowlen

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/nfl.brandon.marshall.2.1042216.html
Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall did not show for mandatory minicamp on Friday.

The Pro Bowler is in the Denver area and was set to meet with team owner Pat Bowlen later on Friday, the CBS4 Broncos Insiders report.

Marshall learned earlier this month that he won't face disciplinary action from the NFL over his latest arrest in a domestic dispute.

New head coach Josh McDaniels had said he expected Marshall to be at camp. He missed recent voluntary practices because he was rehabbing a surgically repaired hip at his home in Orlando.

He caught 104 passes for 1,265 yards and six TDs last season. In three NFL seasons, Marshall has caught 226 passes for 2,899 yards and 15 touchdowns, although he's fumbled eight times, losing four.

SureShot
06-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I wonder why Marshall is going to meet with Bowlen???

Marshall Doesn't Show At Camp, To Meet With Bowlen

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/nfl.brandon.marshall.2.1042216.html
Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall did not show for mandatory minicamp on Friday.

The Pro Bowler is in the Denver area and was set to meet with team owner Pat Bowlen later on Friday, the CBS4 Broncos Insiders report.

Marshall learned earlier this month that he won't face disciplinary action from the NFL over his latest arrest in a domestic dispute.

New head coach Josh McDaniels had said he expected Marshall to be at camp. He missed recent voluntary practices because he was rehabbing a surgically repaired hip at his home in Orlando.

He caught 104 passes for 1,265 yards and six TDs last season. In three NFL seasons, Marshall has caught 226 passes for 2,899 yards and 15 touchdowns, although he's fumbled eight times, losing four.

Maybe whiskey is part of his rehab.

Popps
06-12-2009, 12:56 PM
So, trade him to Arizona for Boldin?

SureShot
06-12-2009, 12:57 PM
So, trade him to Arizona for Boldin?

I would be down for that, but you still have to pay him.

Cito Pelon
06-12-2009, 12:58 PM

Don't you mean McDoodooface?

So you're expecting the entire roster to hold out, not show up for camp after today, show up but refuse to leave the lockerroom?

You are one stupid punk, BMarsh.

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Fact is, he has yet to perform on the field following the hip surgery and the hip clearly hampered him later in the season last year. Until he does, it's an unknown.
That's the point...he was playing hurt last year. From what I've read so far on this, the hip surgery was what he needed but didn't get. He has demonstrated the ability and the willingness to play hurt and he was very productive coming off the cut in his arm. He appears durable even if he's had injuries to play though.
Don't know where you get the "at most" four games suspension from but, I suspect if he is found guilty in court, he will get at least 8 games and likely more. He is not in position to bolt for free agency for at least two years and would be stuck next year with basically the same contract he has now.
What are the chances he's even convicted? He's seemingly in a position where the charges look doubtful as evidence by prior results. Eight games would be a major suspension...I doubt he gets that unless something more pops up. One would think/hope he's at least able to walk the straight and narrow while his contract year is coming up. And it's not two years...he's a FA after next year. If he holds out now and Bowlen decides to sit him down, not only will it hurt this team drastically on offense but it hurts the current image of this new regime with the players. They found a way, legit or not...to justify Cutler leaving. But two pro bowl players in one year? Fans might justify it since it seems we're ready to believe anything now but will the players think he doesn't deserve a raise after back to back 100 catch years? No way...they'll wonder what the hell is going on in the front office and you'll start seeing other players doubting if they should be here.
I agree we need a receiver of his talents on the field but you have to look at the bigger picture. What kind of message does caving in to his holdout send?
I think it says he's got a legitimate gripe over his contract. He's performed way better than expected. If he were already making first round money it would be one thing, but the guy's playing for the NFL equivilent of $10 an hour right now.
The guy has done nothing to show he is the type of person we can trust to invest a big contract in or build a team around. If he is willing to come in and perform this season and demonstrate he can be that guy, then pay him.
I disagree...and I'm not a Marshall fan because of his domestic violence issues, but you can't say he's "done nothing" to sow a team can be built around him. Michael Irvine had huge off the field issues that dwarf Marshall's but on the field he was stellar and the players thought of him as a warrior. Marshall's performed on the field, whatever else we want to say about him.
Otherwise, I don't think the PR will be as much in Marshall's favor as you may think. And, I don't think McD cares about the PR anyway - he is going to build this team with the type of players that fit his system of high character guys who think team first. In the long run, that means more success on the field which is the best PR around.
Then Kyle Orton should prepare for a very long year watching Eddie Royal get doubled every game. And McD should prepare for a major backlash once again. What was the point that Silver made? Arrogance? No NFL cocach can afford to simply piss off every player he chooses to any time he wishes. This isn't college and it's not like these guys don't talk in the locker room. If he wants the seemingly harmonious team attitude they're saing exists now to continue, they need to be smart about picking their battles, and this is the wrong battle to fight at this time.
There is nothing to say we could not look elsewhere to improve our receiving corps if it looks like this is going to be a prolonged situation. Personally, I would take Boldin over Marshall any day.
You don't think Bolden wants to get paid? What would we give up for him? Our only remaining #1 next year? Then how do we continue to fix the defense?

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Here we go again... How do you have any idea what he is demanding and what the Broncos are offering? Is it not possible that Brandon and his agent are asking for a big pay increase? Should the Broncos just cave in and give that to him?

You automatically assign blame when you have no idea what the details are.
I'm not assigning blame...nothing's happened yet to assign blame FOR...but I am saying they better find a way to work this out somehow. This is the NFL not pop warner...these guys are professionals, and they're being paid to perform...I'm talking about our front office now...contract disputes are a fact of life in the NFL and they had better find a way to resolve them without just getting frustrated and letting stars go out the door.

Beantown Bronco
06-12-2009, 01:04 PM
And it's not two years...he's a FA after next year.

In reality, he's under contract for two years because of the whole "uncapped 2010" situation.

Worst case scenario, they give him the high tender next year which would equal about $2.8 million for 2010 and they'd have the right of first refusal on any other contract he was offered. If any team decided to offer him a ridiculous contract that the Broncos didn't choose to match, they'd get a first and a third rounder back. I don't see anyone doing that unless he REALLY lights it up this year.

Cito Pelon
06-12-2009, 01:06 PM
He'll probably show up when he's healthy. No reason to get all hysterical right now.

No doubt he wants a new contract because he'll be a RFA in 2010 (unless there's a new CBA) as opposed to he should have been a UFA.

kamakazi_kal
06-12-2009, 01:07 PM
In reality, he's under contract for two years because of the whole "uncapped 2010" situation.

Worst case scenario, they give him the high tender next year which would equal about $2.8 million for 2010 and they'd have the right of first refusal on any other contract he was offered. If any team decided to offer him a ridiculous contract that the Broncos didn't choose to match, they'd get a first and a third rounder back. I don't see anyone doing that unless he REALLY lights it up this year.

lights it up this year ..... what you mean like the last 2 100+ reception years?

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 01:09 PM
I wonder how big Peyton Manning's boner is over this situation after the pro bowl

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 01:09 PM
^^^Can't wait to see how you clever folks twist that one....

Hotrod
06-12-2009, 01:13 PM
So wait what?

Hotrod
06-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Does anyone know what the exact refund policy/procedures are for over/under Bronco wins bets placed in Vegas already for the next season???

El Guapo
06-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Got the text earlier today and just rolled my eyes...

vancejohnson82
06-12-2009, 01:21 PM
this thread has a common repeating theme...

Marshall should get a contract post
Marshall is an idiot post
McDaniels sucks post
Rev remark about a flacid penis
Marshall should get a contract post
Marshall is an idiot post
McDaniels sucks post
Rev remark about a stiff penis

Repeat

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 01:23 PM

Worst case scenario, they give him the high tender next year which would equal about $2.8 million for 2010 and they'd have the right of first refusal on any other contract he was offered.
How would that help if they're not willing to pay him?
If any team decided to offer him a ridiculous contract that the Broncos didn't choose to match, they'd get a first and a third rounder back. I don't see anyone doing that unless he REALLY lights it up this year.
I'm not sure I'd take that offer IF his head is in the game. But even if they did, that's a couple years of waiting to see players develop. I thought the whole idea was to win NOW.

Beantown Bronco
06-12-2009, 01:27 PM
How would that help if they're not willing to pay him?

A first and a third.....as opposed to nothing. Which is what they'd get if he were truly unrestricted as you kept claiming.

Hotrod
Things just seem to be wrong at dove valley these days

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/wtf_pics-fireman.jpg

PaintballCLE
So wait what?

Per CBS4 text:

Marshall met with Bowlen to discuss having the Snuggie as the official locker room attire.

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 01:30 PM
A first and a third.....as opposed to nothing. Which is what they'd get if he were truly unrestricted as you kept claiming.
And as I'm saying...how long before you get a return on that? Meanwhile the offense loses it's main weapon and Royal gets turned into a giant bruise.

If for no other reason than the need to show they can handle adversity, this FO needs to find a way to work this out.

epicSocialism4tw
06-12-2009, 01:32 PM

Thats because this franchise is run by a bunch of clowns who cant quit stumbling over their clown shoes.

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Per CBS4 text:

Marshall met with Bowlen to discuss having the Snuggie as the official locker room attire.

Per CBS4 text:

Bowlen can't remember if he actually met with Brandon or not. Then commented that he has the utmost faith that the Goodmans will be able to handle the situation appropriately and effectively.

bronco militia
06-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Per CBS4 text:

Bowlen can't remember if he actually met with Brandon or not. Then commented that he has the utmost faith that the Goodmans will be able to handle the situation appropriately and effectively.

LOL LOL LOL

theAPAOps5
06-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Per CBS4 text:

Post off the offseason!

SureShot
06-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Per CBS4 text:

BigPlayShay
06-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Lindsay Jones is a happy girl again!

<object width="440" height="361"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player.swf?mediaId=4254429"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><embed src="http://espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=4254429" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="440" height="361" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

Sacked by Croel
06-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Knowing this organization, I wouldn't be surprised if Marshall was led to believe he was excused from this particular practice and the Broncos turned around and sabotaged him.

Ellis/McDaniels are looking for an excuse to dump him and void his contract. It will be easy to cut Marshall now and there will be hardly any backlash from the public.

Beantown Bronco
06-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Ellis/McDaniels are looking for an excuse to dump him and void his contract. It will be easy to cut Marshall now and there will be hardly any backlash from the public.

Huh?

His contract right now is a rounding error.....it's chump change. They don't want to void anything.

Sacked by Croel
06-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Lindsay Jones is a happy girl again!

Anybody got nudes of Lindsay?

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Knowing this organization, I wouldn't be surprised if Marshall was led to believe he was excused from this particular practice and the Broncos turned around and sabotaged him.

No way.

Too much has happened this off-season. It's been rough for everyone. Doing that, and doing it the way you describe would be the height of stupidity and publicly transparent.

Denver fans on the fence about this new regime would start to rage.

Hopefully all this posturing gets worked out in short order.

Biggest fans of a Marshall hold out: Seattle

Beantown Bronco
06-12-2009, 01:50 PM
And as I'm saying...how long before you get a return on that? Meanwhile the offense loses it's main weapon and Royal gets turned into a giant bruise.

If for no other reason than the need to show they can handle adversity, this FO needs to find a way to work this out.

Don't get me wrong. This is not the road I want to see them go down. It never was.

I completely agree that they should work out a longer deal with him, one which protects them from both injury and off-field "stuff". My only reason for bringing up the RFA/2010 stuff was to rebut two things I've seen in this thread and make the following clear:

1. He's not in fact an unrestricted FA after this year.
2. He really doesn't have as much leverage as he or his agent think.

broncswin
06-12-2009, 01:52 PM

Hopefully this is sarcasim on your part, which I would respond to as LOLHilarious! . If you are actually serious, then WTF?!

epicSocialism4tw
06-12-2009, 01:52 PM

I saw an interview with McD on denverbroncos.com that included some of his commentary on Marshall missing this camp because of injury concerns, and McD looked like he was right there with Brandon on the issue.

TonyR
06-12-2009, 01:54 PM
1. He's not in fact an unrestricted FA after this year.
2. He really doesn't have as much leverage as he or his agent think.

Yep, at his salary they can basically make him rot for two years.

Sacked by Croel
06-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Huh?

His contract right now is a rounding error.....it's chump change. They don't want to void anything.

$2 million used to be a drop in the bucket for Bowlen, it's not anymore.

My original statement is just a sarcastic exaggeration ripping our once proud organization that has lost all their credibility and good will during a period of six months.

meangene
06-12-2009, 01:57 PM
That's the point...he was playing hurt last year. From what I've read so far on this, the hip surgery was what he needed but didn't get. He has demonstrated the ability and the willingness to play hurt and he was very productive coming off the cut in his arm. He appears durable even if he's had injuries to play though.

Playing through the arm injury/surgery has nothing to do with his hip surgery. While he should make a full recovery, we really don't know yet. And, the hand injury clearly affected his performance in regard to the drops.

What are the chances he's even convicted? He's seemingly in a position where the charges look doubtful as evidence by prior results. Eight games would be a major suspension...I doubt he gets that unless something more pops up. One would think/hope he's at least able to walk the straight and narrow while his contract year is coming up. And it's not two years...he's a FA after next year.

What prior results? He has never gone to trial on any of these charges. We have no idea how this trial will play out. Given he has already been suspended once by the league with no convictions, what makes you think they won't come down on him hard if he is convicted? Prior history is not on his side here. Based on the current CBA situation, he will be a restricted free agent next year in an uncapped year.

I think it says he's got a legitimate gripe over his contract. He's performed way better than expected. If he were already making first round money it would be one thing, but the guy's playing for the NFL equivilent of $10 an hour right now.

If he were not facing discipline from the league for a second time and coming off an injury I would agree with you. I am only asking him to keep himself clean for one year. I don't dispute his on-field performance.

I disagree...and I'm not a Marshall fan because of his domestic violence issues, but you can't say he's "done nothing" to sow a team can be built around him. Michael Irvine had huge off the field issues that dwarf Marshall's but on the field he was stellar and the players thought of him as a warrior. Marshall's performed on the field, whatever else we want to say about him.

He has performed on the field but it takes more than that to be a player you invest big money in and build a team around. There are salary cap issues and personal conduct issues today that did not exist before. We need to know that we can count on Marshall to be on the field and until he cleans up his act we don't know that.

You don't think Bolden wants to get paid? What would we give up for him? Our only remaining #1 next year? Then how do we continue to fix the defense?

I don't think the asking price for Boldin was a #1 but a #2 - I would give that up for him in a second. And, yes, I would show him the money. I believe his asking price has come down some given he has been unable to get out of Arizona. I have much more faith in him to conduct himself appropriately off the field to make sure he can perform on it than I do Marshall. And, I prefer him as a player.

supermanhr9
06-12-2009, 01:58 PM

this is pure biased opinion on your part, say what you really mean, "I have no confidence in him" the players do. Every player interview that comes out says the opposite and explain how they are really excited. Marshall is a punk get rid of him

vancejohnson82
06-12-2009, 01:58 PM
$2 million used to be a drop in the bucket for Bowlen, it's not anymore.

My original statement is just a sarcastic exaggeration ripping our once proud organization that has lost all their credibility and good will during a period of six months.

and you've lost yours in less than 80 posts

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 01:59 PM

And who wins in that situation? This is the same retarded argument as the "Cutler has no leverage, bench him!" people were throwing out.

What product do they put on the field while he "rots"?

Let me guess, McD is so good that Orton to Gaffney has been a better option all along?

_Oro_
06-12-2009, 01:59 PM

Apparently all those guys thought they did something special last year and the defense let them down. Granted the defense did let them down quite a few times, the offense also fked the defense a few times. The point is they didn't do anything special and they don't deserve raises.

HEAV
06-12-2009, 02:00 PM

You are a ****ing tard.

El Guapo
06-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Man, Marshal had a great year and to think that his hip was bugging him since last years camp. I'm sure he'll be back and hopefully he can do some magic.

bronco militia
06-12-2009, 02:01 PM

looking back at this past offseason let alone the last 10years, the last thing this organization is worried about is public backlash

Sacked by Croel
06-12-2009, 02:03 PM
and you've lost yours in less than 80 posts

Edit: family smack is off limits. See ya after awhile...

bronco militia
06-12-2009, 02:04 PM
I hope your entire nuclear family gets blindsided by a semi in an intersection this weekend, their automobile ignites in a raging fire and they all burn to death. Closed casket funerals for all of them.

see ya

BabyTO
On whether he expects Marshall on Saturday or Sunday…
“He’ll be here today. We’re having a meeting later this afternoon, and again it’s something that we’re going to take care of and handle in house. He’ll be here later this afternoon but he was not here this morning.”

There you have it. Stop whining now. I said earlier that at least wait for McDaniels to comment on this. Everythings fine...

Taco John
Let me guess, McD is so good that Orton to Gaffney has been a better option all along?

I think you're on to something here...

TheReverend
I hope your entire nuclear family gets blindsided by a semi in an intersection this weekend, their automobile ignites in a raging fire and they all burn to death. Closed casket funerals for all of them.

Enjoy your perma-ban...

Sacked by Croel
06-12-2009, 02:05 PM
You are a ****ing tard.

Post 216. Ditto for your family.

Tombstone RJ
06-12-2009, 02:05 PM

Pretty much below the belt here...

vancejohnson82
06-12-2009, 02:06 PM

all class too huh?

you're obviously a kid with a keyboard because nobody with half a brain and a little bit of sense would spew this type of trash about someone's family

but as an immature response....i hope your boyfriend forgets to pull out and you spend the weekend constipated

Sacked by Croel
06-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Enjoy your perma-ban...

Thank you. Keep writing those books. You are an awesome individual, Marine.

TonyR
06-12-2009, 02:09 PM
And who wins in that situation? This is the same retarded argument as the "Cutler has no leverage, bench him!" people were throwing out.

What product do they put on the field while he "rots"?

Nobody "wins". And nobody wants this to happen. The point is that the Broncos have more leverage than Marshall does. I realize the situations are different in many ways but remember what happened to Lito, and is now happening to Sheldon, in Philly?

SureShot

Now thats how you go on tilt!

TheReverend
Thank you. Keep writing those books. You are an awesome individual, Marine.

I know.

Rules here are very loose... just avoid the family stuff and it's generally all good.

Advice: Quickly throw a "Oops! TJ, I didn't know. I'd never intentionally disrespect someone so intelligent and handsome's policies"

Taco John
06-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Enjoy your perma-ban...

I don't like to do perma-ban. I figure 95% of folks are willing to make amends and come back and follow the rules. The 5% eventually wash out one way or another...

HEAV
06-12-2009, 02:12 PM
As far as the middle and drops. He has 13 carreer receptions over the middle. The offense was based on attacking the corners. Getting him the ball on slants and quick screens and let his skill get yardage.

As a team the TE worked the middle more than the Broncos wideouts.

ludo21
06-12-2009, 02:12 PM
BM deserves an extension, get him signed.

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Nobody "wins". And nobody wants this to happen. The point is that the Broncos have more leverage than Marshall does. I realize the situations are different in many ways but remember what happened to Lito, and is now happening to Sheldon, in Philly?

Diff situation imo.

There they had extended their #4 CB to decent money and signed Asante.

The depth ALLOWED a hard line stance with Lito and when the offer they wanted came in, they gave him what he wanted, albeit a season too late.

If Marshall sits like McKenzie did in GB, our depth does NOT provide us the same lenience. Imo, at least.

kamakazi_kal
06-12-2009, 02:13 PM

This team won't sniff 8-8 this season without marshall. So, sacrafice the season to prove a point? They'd be better off trading him.

HEAV
06-12-2009, 02:14 PM
I don't like to do perma-ban. I figure 95% of folks are willing to make amends and come back and follow the rules. The 5% eventually wash out one way or another...

He will be in the 5%.:yayaya:

Taco John
06-12-2009, 02:14 PM
As far as the middle and drops. He has 13 carreer receptions over the middle. The offense was based on attacking the corners. Getting him the ball on slants and quick screens and let his skill get yardage.

As a team the TE worked the middle more than the Broncos wideouts.

Where did you get the stats on his over the middle receptions? I'd like to do some research on that. I don't believe that 13 is a great number over 3 seasons.

TheReverend
06-12-2009, 02:15 PM

I talked it over with my fellow mod Hotrod, and we think it was an honest mistake and that vance truly had it coming. Vance is despicable... I mean did you see how he lashed out at me and Apa in survivor?!?!?

BigPlayShay
06-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Edit: family smack is off limits. See ya after awhile...

SackedByTaco

eddie mac
06-12-2009, 02:17 PM

And like our players really warrant respect the way they bent over at the end of last season.

kamakazi_kal
06-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Apparently all those guys thought they did something special last year and the defense let them down. Granted the defense did let them down quite a few times, the offense also fked the defense a few times. The point is they didn't do anything special and they don't deserve raises.

Yeah, ok ..... let me guess their are no teams out there that could use a young reciever with back to back 100 rec. years......

sure.

TonyR
06-12-2009, 02:18 PM
This team won't sniff 8-8 this season without marshall. So, sacrafice the season to prove a point? They'd be better off trading him.

I agree that we both want and need Brandon Marshall on field. But if it comes down to hardball the Broncos will go without him for a while before Brandon goes without a paycheck.

cutthemdown
06-12-2009, 02:19 PM
This is gonna be ugly.

eddie mac
06-12-2009, 02:20 PM
BM deserves an extension, get him signed.

He may well do, but IMHO he's a ****ing idiot. Has he not paid attention to anything at Dove Valley over the past 2-3 months.

Player power is finished in Denver regardless of how good the player is.

kamakazi_kal
06-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Edit: family smack is off limits. See ya after awhile...last edited by taco john

ooooo headshot oooooo

Taco John
I talked it over with my fellow mod Hotrod, and we think it was an honest mistake and that vance truly had it coming. Vance is despicable... I mean did you see how he lashed out at me and Apa in survivor?!?!?

Vance is a true douchebag. I happen to like him. :thumbs:

He definitely had it coming. I personally hope that his boyfriend forgets to pull out too.

But rules is rules...

TheReverend
He will be in the 5%.:yayaya:

We're still all so hopeful that one day you will too.

HEAV
06-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Where did you get the stats on his over the middle receptions? I'd like to do some research on that. I don't believe that 13 is a great number over 3 seasons.

I just used yahoo for a quick look see at his and other players situational stats.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7868/situational

It just show catches, not drops or pass attemps.

But according to Jay sit-stats he attempted only 63 passes in the middle.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7760/situational;_ylt=AnKw5yXEg9jBgAAaDvYlpUT.uLYF

Now you could call right and left inner middle while wide left and right are outside. But it's the best I could do in a quick search.

TonyR
06-12-2009, 02:23 PM
There you have it. Stop whining now. I said earlier that at least wait for McDaniels to comment on this. Everythings fine...

Further to this... (apologies if already posted, didn't see it)

Coach McDaniels on Marshall
June 12th, 2009 - 1:18pm by Gray Caldwell
Head Coach Josh McDaniels addressed the media concerning Brandon Marshall’s absence from today’s first practice of a mandatory mini-camp. Here is a brief look at some of his comments.

On Marshall’s absence…
“That’s a personal decision that Brandon’s made, and we’ll do what the league rules allow us to do for a player that misses a mandatory activity. The rest of that is really internal. I’ve spoken to him and his agent, and that’s the decision that he’s making.”

On if Marshall will be fined…
“We’ll do what we think is the right thing to do.”

On if he knows the reason for Marshall’s absence…
“Sure, and we’re not going to go into detail. I’m not going to talk about that. That’s between the Broncos and Brandon and his agent, and when that’s resolved we’ll look forward to having him on the field.”

On whether he expects Marshall on Saturday or Sunday…
“He’ll be here today. We’re having a meeting later this afternoon, and again it’s something that we’re going to take care of and handle in house. He’ll be here later this afternoon but he was not here this morning.”

On whether Marshall is falling behind…
“Well there’s 40 practices before our first game starting in August, he’s a smart player and I’m sure he’ll be able to learn whatever he needs to learn to be able to play successfully if he’s here at training camp, so I’m not concerned about that.”

Zach Eisendrath will post the normal practice blog soon.

-Gray Caldwell, DenverBroncos.com

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/coach-mcdaniels-on-marshall/

SureShot
06-12-2009, 02:24 PM
We're still all so hopeful that one day you will too.

That will be the best day on the Mane ever.

kamakazi_kal

Difference is Philly has a player to replace him with ..... we don't.

Taco John
I just used yahoo for a quick look see at his and other players situational stats.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7868/situational

It just show catches, not drops or pass attemps.

But according to Jay sit-stats he attempted only 63 passes in the middle.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7760/situational;_ylt=AnKw5yXEg9jBgAAaDvYlpUT.uLYF

Now you could call right and left inner middle while wide left and right are outside. But it's the best I could do in a quick search.

Interesting stuff Heav. So all things considered, what is your thoughts about Brandon Marshall and the middle? Do you think my observation here is out to lunch?

eddie mac
06-12-2009, 02:25 PM
To be honest I'm getting totally sick of these players. From next season I couldn't give a **** who's wearing our jerseys as long as they give 100% win or lose.