PDA

View Full Version : So my dad's girlfriend has passed away...

FADERPROOF
06-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Havent been online in a few days, so figured I'd share this to go along with all the other great news of people dying and other things...anyway, my dad's girlfriend of 6 years has(most likely) only a few days left. She has been battling with diabetes for the past couple years and last saturday she suffered a stroke and diabetic coma(blood sugar dipped down to 24). After all tests were ran, the neurologist had a meeting with my dad and her mom to explain the results and she has suffered significant amounts of brain damage due to the stroke and, barring a miracle, will never be able to live without machines. He gave my Dad until Sunday to decide what to do, either take her off the respirator and let her go, or have them install a feeding tube through her throat and she will live as a vegetable from then on. Pretty much sucks either way and they are leaning towards just taking her off the machines come Sunday, but he is holding off making that call until the last minute just incase that miracle does happen. I'll keep updating...

Spider
06-10-2009, 05:38 PM
man .........I wouldnt want that choice

Florida_Bronco
06-10-2009, 05:55 PM
I went through that with my dad, except he had a heart attack. That decision to pull the plug is very tough. I wouldn't even wish that on Bob.

Spider
06-10-2009, 06:42 PM
I went through that with my dad, except he had a heart attack. That decision to pull the plug is very tough. I wouldn't even wish that on Bob.

i know what you mean , up in ICU , I kept pulling my Dads eyes open , thinking if I kept his eyes open he wouldnt die , then when we finally said ok stop, My Brother still has nightmares of my Dad rollling over and asking him why ........

Northman
06-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Sorry to hear that man.

JCMElway
06-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Fade, my thoughts and energies go out to you and yours. May the God and Goddess help your Father to the best decision for your family.

Meck77
06-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Oh man..... Please tell your father I said hello and am sending my prayers. From the time I spent with you guys I could tell you two are tight as a son and father can be. You guys are lucky to have one another. Just thinking back to Canton reminded me of ole DenFan.

Florida_Bronco
06-10-2009, 07:10 PM
i know what you mean , up in ICU , I kept pulling my Dads eyes open , thinking if I kept his eyes open he wouldnt die , then when we finally said ok stop, My Brother still has nightmares of my Dad rollling over and asking him why ........

It sucks man. Just really, really sucks.

dreasher54
06-10-2009, 07:14 PM
My prayers are with yall that is one of the hardest decisions ever there is just no way you can feel totally comfortable with either one you make.

broncosteven
06-10-2009, 07:33 PM
I wish your dad peace with whatever decision he makes.

Best wishes.

Ray Finkle
06-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Sorry to hear of your news...best wishes

Taco John
06-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news Pat. I'm sure you'll be a stong source of comfort for your Dad.

Sassy
06-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Thoughts and prayers to your dad and you...and her family. God Bless.

cutthemdown
06-10-2009, 09:27 PM
First Spiders dads passing made me think a lot about my dad's passing. Now this reminds me of my dad again because we as a family also had to make a decision on turning off the machines. It was really hard until we all realized how much he would hate being a machine for months and months with us all hoping his brain would come back. Sometimes you feel selfish because you don't want to let go.

How can any decision be more ****ed up to have to make? Having to decide that about a loved one is really tough.

My thoughts and prayers to your dad and the mom of his G/F. Sometimes life just sucks, but then it makes you realize how precious life really is.

Miss I.
06-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Really sorry to hear that. Thoughts and prayers to you and your dad and all involved with this.

oubronco
06-11-2009, 11:25 AM
May the Good God almighty rain praises down upon her your father and her family as well as you my friend !! Put it in God's hands

Los Broncos
06-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Always sorry to hear someone on this board with sick loved ones, my thoughts out to your family.

bronclvr
06-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Faider,

I'm really sorry to hear of this-stay close to your Dad, he needs the support.

I don't bring my personal life on here much, however my Brother lost his Wife last week due to complications of Diabetes, so I understand your pain-it is tough to watch someone go when there is a lot of life ahead of them-my condolences.

I cannot think of a tougher choice to have to make, and I watched a close friend stay on a Machine after a Car Accident, it is not pretty-good luck, keep you chin up-

38yrsfan
06-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Havent been online in a few days, so figured I'd share this to go along with all the other great news of people dying and other things...anyway, my dad's girlfriend of 6 years has(most likely) only a few days left. She has been battling with diabetes for the past couple years and last saturday she suffered a stroke and diabetic coma(blood sugar dipped down to 24). After all tests were ran, the neurologist had a meeting with my dad and her mom to explain the results and she has suffered significant amounts of brain damage due to the stroke and, barring a miracle, will never be able to live without machines. He gave my Dad until Sunday to decide what to do, either take her off the respirator and let her go, or have them install a feeding tube through her throat and she will live as a vegetable from then on. Pretty much sucks either way and they are leaning towards just taking her off the machines come Sunday, but he is holding off making that call until the last minute just incase that miracle does happen. I'll keep updating...

Sorry for your situation .... the same thing happened with my father at Thanksgiving, he passed away the day after.

It is a very painful decision either way you go.

FADERPROOF
06-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Update: Called my dad after I got off of work and got even worse news. She is now suffering seizures and has even more brain damage now, due to the rapid decline of her health the neurologist has bumped the decision up from Sunday to tomorrow at 9 am. My dad has not told me what they have planned to do with her, but I've picked up hints that tomorrow they will tell the doctor to take her off the machines, say their goodbyes, and let her go in peace.

bronclvr
06-11-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of this-

Hogan11
06-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Very sorry to hear about this Pat..my thoughts go out to you both :(

FADERPROOF
06-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Update: Before that decision had to be made, she slightly responded to a pain stimulus and was able to stay off the respirator for about an hour before struggling to breathe, so decision is now on hold to see if there is any more signs of improvement.

80smith
06-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Good news! Hope the best for you all.

BABronco
06-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Sorry man. Prayers with you and your dad.

SoCalBronco
06-14-2009, 12:03 PM
My prayers are with you, Pat. Very sad to hear. Hopefully she shows more signs of improvement.

:(

FADERPROOF
06-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Update: That response to the pain stimulant was a one time thing more or less, and now she has developed an infection as well that has the doctors talking spinal now on top of the traichiatomy to place the feeding tube and still needing the respirator in order to stay alive.

sutoazul
06-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Anymore updates Faderproof??

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

FADERPROOF
06-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Update: yesterday around 5:30 pm she passed away. The respirator was taken out on Tuesday and she made it a couple days on her own, put up quite the fight and she went peacefully. I'm not sure how to change the thread title, but if a mod could update it that would be appreciated. 55 years old is too young to go, she is a cancer survivor that we all thought that her rough times were over with and then this happens.

GreatBronco16
06-20-2009, 08:09 AM
I am truly sorry for your families lost. Thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Blueflame
06-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Update: yesterday around 5:30 pm she passed away. The respirator was taken out on Tuesday and she made it a couple days on her own, put up quite the fight and she went peacefully. I'm not sure how to change the thread title, but if a mod could update it that would be appreciated. 55 years old is too young to go, she is a cancer survivor that we all thought that her rough times were over with and then this happens.

Sorry to hear the sad news... prayers and condolences for you and your family.

Sassy
06-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Thoughts and prayers for her family and yours, Pat.

Baba Booey
06-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Sorry to hear about this man. Just had two deaths in the family myself...Grandma and Aunt. Tough times.

Hogan11
06-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Very sorry to learn of this, my thoughts are with you and your Dad.

SoCalBronco
06-20-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that, Pat. :(

Spider
06-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Sorry , there is nothing easy about this

Popps
07-01-2009, 09:17 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family, Faderproof. Very sorry.