PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment? Recession? Bank failures? I know, let's stop Texas Hold 'em

Popps
06-10-2009, 03:03 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/more/06/09/poker.winnings.ap/index.html?eref=si_mostpopular

Looks like despite the law being very specific that on-line poker is not illegal in the U.S., the Feds have seized $30M of players' money.

Very shocking and mind-boggling move considering not only the petty nature of the alleged charges, but the national move TOWARDS regulating the game instead of prohibiting it. (As the lawyer states.)

Listen to the guy claiming it's "illegal," too. He can't remotely make his case, and then (slips?) proceeds to say that it will hurt "state revenue."

Really? So, it's O.K. for us to be addicted to Lotto and not poker?

Nice that they're so concerned about our "addictions," huh? I assume we'll be outlawing liquor at any moment now.

I don't play on-line for money. I have a few times, but have just as much fun playing for play money. That said, I'd probably consider playing if the proposed bill in California made it state-run and state-moderated. That way, at worst... the money I lose goes to state taxes, which we desperately need.

Anyway, I figured you'd all sleep more safely knowing that the real problems are being addressed out there.

Popps
06-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Can't get the vid to link. ****ing Yahoo. Should be here....

http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?p=poker&ei=UTF-8&c=av

Irish Stout
06-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Damn Communists! I want my poker now!

Hotrod
06-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Mother ****ers

Popps
06-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Damn Communists! I want my poker now!

I love living in a state on the brink of bankruptcy that probably dumps a few hundred million a year overseas to foreign online poker companies.

It's just absolute insanity.

Even better, we're spending our tax-payer money to fund the seizure of poker players' holdings on friggin' internet sites.

I can't think of anything more important we could be doing with that money, could you?

Irish Stout
06-10-2009, 03:32 PM
I love living in a state on the brink of bankruptcy that probably dumps a few hundred million a year overseas to foreign online poker companies.

It's just absolute insanity.

Even better, we're spending our tax-payer money to fund the seizure of poker players' holdings on friggin' internet sites.

I can't think of anything more important we could be doing with that money, could you?

Nope... I really can't. Its government intelligence at work.

The problem is, in my humble and probably incorrect opinion, is that we live in a puritanical society where we allocate large amounts of money and government resources to stopping or halting things that really don't matter and in some cases would actually better society. Gambling may be evil, but if you believe that, don't gamble. The rest of us think its fine if I want to get online and lose my savings. We'd be 100% better off if the states taxed those dollars won than if they spent the time and effort trying to stop it.

Popps
06-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Nope... I really can't. Its government intelligence at work.

The problem is, in my humble and probably incorrect opinion, is that we live in a puritanical society where we allocate large amounts of money and government resources to stopping or halting things that really don't matter and in some cases would actually better society. Gambling may be evil, but if you believe that, don't gamble. The rest of us think its fine if I want to get online and lose my savings. We'd be 100% better off if the states taxed those dollars won than if they spent the time and effort trying to stop it.

This is such a gray area. Some people apply the same logic to dangerous drugs, etc. But, I agree with you. Laws require subjectivity and public involvement, and to my knowledge... the public was never allowed to vote on people playing poker from the safety of their own homes.

It might not be so bad if we didn't have these ****-brains telling us that they're trying to "protect" us from our addictions, while they allow millions of Americans to consume addictive alcohol and cigarettes and gamble by buying their lotto tickets.

I just can't believe the public has no voice in this. This is all spurred by a bull**** technicality hidden in a port security bill. PORT SECURITY. Help keep our shores safe from Texas Hold 'em players!!!

Hopefully Californians will get the chance to speak up on this and can lead the way for more rational policies.

ak1971
06-10-2009, 03:50 PM
I hope this is one last stab at things before they repeal the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act. The only thing I will ever side with Barney Frank on is getting rid of that thing...oh btw Texas Hold em is for morons. :)

Hotrod
06-10-2009, 03:52 PM
I'd like to repeat myself

Mother ****ers

ak1971
06-10-2009, 03:55 PM
The funny thing is that the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act has actually saved me a ****load of money

OBF1
06-10-2009, 03:56 PM
I think we need a new poll

Killericon
06-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Weak.

Spider
06-10-2009, 04:58 PM
I am pretty much anti gambling , it goes against what I believe , Hard work is the only road to travel , but if it isnt illegal , then the State and the Feds need to back off ........... Nothing short of stealing

Popps
06-10-2009, 05:31 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-7552-DC-Poker-Examiner~y2009m6d10-Poker-roundup-good-Ivey-bad-cops-and-a-striped-bikini

General Poker tidbits

George Bush is gone, but his right-wing anti-poker law is still screwing with your personal rightsDidn't we vote for Change? The New York Times, Associated Press, and PocketFives report that "the federal government has frozen more than $30 million in the accounts of payment processors that handle the winnings of thousands of online poker players." Just when we thought the UIGEA was almost dead, it comes back screeching like Glenn Close at the end of Fatal Attraction. Hopefully Barney Frank and the Democratic Congress can finally undo this ridiculous piece of George Bush's legacy.

More anti-poker idiocy. Wait, it gets worse. Last week, police in Buxton, Maine raided a charity poker tournament for a community food co-op and seized the money being raised to help the needy:
State police seized cards, poker chips and $500 in cash -- money the food co-op desperately needed.
A member of the co-op, Joann Groder, said she is very, very sad about what happened.
"We've had a lot of people who come here -- people who are out of work, people who have cancer. We have a lot of people," said Groder.
Yeah, Ms. Groder, but your rogue, sinister organization was running a poker game without a permit! Anarchy would ripple across New England if people were allowed to enjoy themselves and play cards without government approval...
Just to be clear: it's legal to purchase a bunch of semi-automatic rifles in Maine without a permit, but you need a special government license to put together a friendly poker tournament to raise money for the poor? Can someone, anyone, please explain this to me?

Popps
06-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Talking about it on CNBC right now if you're interested.

Some ****-brain is blaming alcoholism on poker.

LOL

These people just have a bankrupt argument.