PDA

View Full Version : OT: Disturbing Tasing Story

DomCasual
06-09-2009, 03:57 PM
So, I get a call today from an employee, saying that one of her family members was tased on his way home from a family wedding, and that he had somehow been hurt. She didn't know how badly he was hurt.

I hear "tased," and I automatically think of the "Don't tase me, bro!" clown. So, I don't think it's all that big of a deal.

Well, the kid died. Anyone want to speculate how someone could die from being tased? I hope they have a video of what happened. Something isn't right.

What a sad, horrible story - his poor wife and children!

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6764721

Son of KSL editorial director dies after tased by police

June 9th, 2009 @ 4:35pm
By John Hollenhorst

WASHINGTON COUNTY -- A 32-year-old man died Tuesday afternoon after he was tased by a Hurricane police officer.

Brian Cardall, son of KSL's Editorial Director Duane Cardall and his wife, who is six months pregnant, were traveling south on State Road 59 just outside of Hurricane after visiting his family in Salt Lake City.

According to his wife, Cardall, who has a recent history of mental illness, was having an episode prompting them to pull over to medicate.

Once stopped, Cardall got out of the vehicle and began to run down the road.

His wife called 911.

Not long after, she found out he had been tased and was unresponsive.

CPR was administered on scene. Cardall was taken to the Dixie Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

The Washington County Sheriff's Office is investigating.

In a press release on its website, the Sheriff's office writes:

Police and medical personnel responded to a call for assistance with an agitated subject on State Route 59 this afternoon in Washington County. During the incident, a Hurricane City Police Officer deployed a taser and the subject lost consciousness. The subject was treated within moments by EMS personnel, but was pronounced dead after being transported to the hospital.

Cardall was a doctoral candidate in biology at Northern Arizona University.

oubronco
06-09-2009, 04:00 PM
very sad hope the best for his family

BABronco
06-09-2009, 04:59 PM
This does not surprise me. I heard since 2000 roughly 200 people have died by being tasered. They aren't as harmless as people think.

Sadly, Canada has taken half their tasers off the force. When i read the story I was pretty happy thinking "well atleast someone gets it". Then I read the reason they were taking them off and it was because they "were not strong enough".

Orange_Beard
06-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Wow, that is terrible.

Garcia Bronco
06-09-2009, 06:22 PM
They, law enforcement, as a whole do not care.

Spider
06-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Wow ......there is nothing no one can say , except I hope Justice gets served ....... If the cop isnt at fault , I hope the clearing of his name helps him cope with what happened

footstepsfrom#27
06-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Police accross the country have been fighting public perception of tasers as dangerous, but the fact is they are, and they should be banned from police forces IMO. Deadly force should not happen by accident.

Spider
06-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Police accross the country have been fighting public perception of tasers as dangerous, but the fact is they are, and they should be banned from police forces IMO. Deadly force should not happen by accident.

I am the same guy that compared Cops to terrorist , so I am far from a cop sympathizer , in fact when things go bad , first I blame is a cop , but man we cant completely disarm them .........

maher_tyler
06-09-2009, 06:48 PM
I don't understand why he was tased in the first place..am i missing something?!

GreatBronco16
06-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't understand why he was tased in the first place..am i missing something?!

Well they were responding to an agitated person running down the road/highway. I'm sure the guy running didn't stop when told to by the police, and he probably ignored them all together. So instead of letting this guy continue to run off posibly causing harm to himself or others, they tased him to contain him. I would like to think that the officer had no intention of killing the guy.

Cops can't win for nothing. First they can't shoot their guns unless it is just absolutly unavoidable, so they give them taser guns and now they are looked down apon for using them. Seriously, it must just suck to be a law enforcement officer these days.

footstepsfrom#27
06-09-2009, 07:03 PM
I am the same guy that compared Cops to terrorist , so I am far from a cop sympathizer , in fact when things go bad , first I blame is a cop , but man we cant completely disarm them .........
I agree, but here's the thing; the use of a gun has predictable results, and most cops know what they can do with a night stick. The problem with tasers is, you really have no idea what will happen if you use it. Cops did without them before they were invented, so I don't see removing them as a problem for them. I have an ex-girlfriend who teaches police departments in Illinois how to handle mentally ill people, and part of her training invovles getting police to recognize signs of mental illness as opposed to aggression. This is probably a great idea on a wider scale.

maher_tyler
06-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Well they were responding to an agitated person running down the road/highway. I'm sure the guy running didn't stop when told to by the police, and he probably ignored them all together. So instead of letting this guy continue to run off posibly causing harm to himself or others, they tased him to contain him. I would like to think that the officer had no intention of killing the guy.

Cops can't win for nothing. First they can't shoot their guns unless it is just absolutly unavoidable, so they give them taser guns and now they are looked down apon for using them. Seriously, it must just suck to be a law enforcement officer these days.

Why couldn't they chase him down on foot and tackle him or something...why use the taser gun..unless he was being agressive towards the officers it makes no sense and an obvious over use of power!!

GreatBronco16
06-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Why couldn't they chase him down on foot and tackle him or something...why use the taser gun..unless he was being agressive towards the officers it makes no sense and an obvious over use of power!!

Ok, so they chase him down and tackle him. During the fight, this guy pulls out a gun and shoots one of the officers eventually killng him. It is much easier for an officer to subdue a person after being hit with a taser than taking a risk on tackling them in the unknown.

Law enforcement people do not have it easy on their jobs. It's damn if they do and damn if they don't.

Spider
06-09-2009, 09:01 PM
I agree, but here's the thing; the use of a gun has predictable results, and most cops know what they can do with a night stick. The problem with tasers is, you really have no idea what will happen if you use it. Cops did without them before they were invented, so I don't see removing them as a problem for them. I have an ex-girlfriend who teaches police departments in Illinois how to handle mentally ill people, and part of her training invovles getting police to recognize signs of mental illness as opposed to aggression. This is probably a great idea on a wider scale.

I agree 100%

Spider
06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Ok, so they chase him down and tackle him. During the fight, this guy pulls out a gun and shoots one of the officers eventually killng him. It is much easier for an officer to subdue a person after being hit with a taser than taking a risk on tackling them in the unknown.

Law enforcement people do not have it easy on their jobs. It's damn if they do and damn if they don't.

what happens if the cop chases this guy down and sprains an ankle in the process ? or worse yet , gets turf toe ?
WTF is that ? seriously , you take on certain jobs , you know the risk , I have to leave out for Texas in the morning , I could get killed in wreck ........ Damn dude grow up

maher_tyler
06-09-2009, 09:14 PM

It was an over use of power...this guy must be Batman if he can some how bust out a gun while in the process of being tackled...a taser gun was a little much IMO!!

GreatBronco16
06-09-2009, 09:17 PM
what happens if the cop chases this guy down and sprains an ankle in the process ? or worse yet , gets turf toe ?
WTF is that ? seriously , you take on certain jobs , you know the risk , I have to leave out for Texas in the morning , I could get killed in wreck ........ Damn dude grow up

Yeah that made absolutly no sense whatsoever. Yes everyone knows the risks involved in their jobs. But using your logic, you shouldn't take every step possible to make it as safe as possible. Law enforcement officer, or truck driver. Yeah, your job is way more life threatening and is somewhere along the same lines. So grow up? Yeah, maybe you should.

GreatBronco16
06-09-2009, 09:19 PM
It was an over use of power...this guy must be Batman if he can some how bust out a gun while in the process of being tackled...a taser gun was a little much IMO!!

It may have been. But then again, I'm not a cop doing this job and I wasn't there on that call. It's easy to sit back and call over use of power from the safty of your chair.

Spider
06-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah that made absolutly no sense whatsoever. Yes everyone knows the risks involved in their jobs. But using your logic, you shouldn't take every step possible to make it as safe as possible. Law enforcement officer, or truck driver. Yeah, your job is way more life threatening and is somewhere along the same lines. So grow up? Yeah, maybe you should.
making it safe ? if this guy was armed goof , he would have shown his weapon, long before any chase begins , ......... and yes my Job is very dangerous , a king pin , a tierod , blown tire ,Changing lanes to fast , someone not paying attention etc ....... you just stay your your cubical ..............

Spider
06-09-2009, 10:15 PM

Great Bronco been watching too much TV

DomCasual
06-09-2009, 10:25 PM
This was in the same general area as the incident below, about a year ago. Watch this one, and tell me the police officer was within his rights.

I don't doubt that a cop's job is hard. And I really don't doubt that the vast majority of them are honorable, decent people. But the ones that aren't really reflect poorly on the profession.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U8LwQUz61HY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U8LwQUz61HY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LonghornBronco
06-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Check it out, the guy was a doctoral candidate. The last thing he is, is irrational. Some cops get drunk with power and are worse than the criminals that terrorize us. These guys need to be eucated on evaluating a situation and taking appropriate action. To many times it seems they are faciast robots that think the most harmless old lady needs to be blinded with lights, while they have their hand on their gun itching for her to "break protocol" so they can have a reason pump her full of lead.

GreatBronco16
06-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Check it out, the guy was a doctoral candidate.

According to his wife, Cardall, who has a recent history of mental illness, was having an episode prompting them to pull over to medicate.

And he also has a history of mental illness. Regardless, I haven't seen a video of it, and I can't view the other one posted here either so I can't comment on that. But like I said, it's very easy to just sit in the comfort of your home or at work and screem 'abuse of power'. I mean it very well might have been. But some of you make it out that law enforcement officers shouldn't be able to do anything.

watermock
06-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Wait till obama unleashes his 1 million man security force.

THAT was a campaign promise.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGDY-D5DjF0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gGDY-D5DjF0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

GreatBronco16
06-09-2009, 10:41 PM
making it safe ? if this guy was armed goof , he would have shown his weapon, long before any chase begins , ......... and yes my Job is very dangerous , a king pin , a tierod , blown tire ,Changing lanes to fast , someone not paying attention etc ....... you just stay your your cubical ..............

Sounds like maybe you just need to learn how to drive. And I don't work in a cubical, but thanks for showing your ignorance once again.

footstepsfrom#27
06-09-2009, 10:48 PM
What makes this suspicious IMO, is that the cops have no reasonable explanation for what the guy was doing that justified the taser. Simply noting that he was "an agitated subject" doesn't cut it when a guy is dead. They'd better have a FAR better explanation than that. The video of that traffic stop is remimicient of some sinilar things I've seen from cops. There are good ones and bad ones, but the fact that we now have dash cam videos showing these kinds of things on a regular basis makes you wonder how much goes on outside the lense of the camera, and how anyone stupid enough to behave like that knowing full well he's being taped could possibly be trusted to legally intervene with people while carrying a loaded gun.

GreatBronco16
06-09-2009, 10:51 PM
What makes this suspicious IMO, is that the cops have no reasonable explanation for what the guy was doing that justified the taser. Simply noting that he was "an agitated subject" doesn't cut it when a guy is dead. They'd better have a FAR better explanation than that. The video of that traffic stop is remimicient of some sinilar things I've seen from cops. There are good ones and bad ones, but the fact that we now have dash cam videos showing these kinds of things on a regular basis makes you wonder how much goes on outside the lense of the camera, and how anyone stupid enough to behave like that knowing full well he's being taped could possibly be trusted to legally intervene with people while carrying a loaded gun.

Very true. It is disturbing to say the least.

Spider
06-10-2009, 06:54 AM
Sounds like maybe you just need to learn how to drive. And I don't work in a cubical, but thanks for showing your ignorance once again.

LOL you twit I have over a million logged miles and 2 accidents in 23 years ................. :rofl: an Idiot like you telling me i need to learn how to drive ........

Hotrod
06-10-2009, 07:08 AM
I would want much more info before passing judgement either way.

vancejohnson82
06-10-2009, 07:27 AM

yeah, it must suck to make $80,000 right out of junior college and then be set up for life....that mut be the worst...I can't even imagine all of the pressures of being a cop: verbally degrading people, judging right from wrong, having carte blanche to do whatever, using excessive force if I want, being able to break the law with no reprecussions. It must be awful.

Then again I am talking about small town cops...I have much respect for the NYPD and whatnot

pokenation
06-10-2009, 07:46 AM
Absolutely and unaquivocally you have no idea about all the circumstances surrounding this incident. Until you do, and until you put the uniform and the badge on you will NEVER understand how difficult of a job law enforcement IS.

officers don't come to your job and tell you how much you suck, how you are racists. they dont come to you and tell you that they are going to kill you and your whole family. they don't yell and scream at you for breaking the copy machine.....these are just a few things officers deal with on a daily bases.

I know, I know.....we signed up for the job and its all part of it. BULLSCHIT!!!!!!!! how some of the public treat law inforcement, when they are the ones that fUQ up is absolute BULLSCHITTTT.

There is a reason why MOST officers act the way they do, and until you walk one mile in my shoes or any other officer's shoes.....maybe you should withhold judgement. I don't tell you how to do your job.......

1. first and foremost - I make sure I come home to my wife and kids at the end of the day.
2. I do MY best to make sure the general public is safe.
3. If I piss someone off with a ticket or an arrest, i really don't care. I did not write the laws, i just inforce them. if you don't like the laws contact your elected official or move to your own island.
4. IF FOR ANY REASON I FEEL THE SITUATION COULD BECOME DANGEROUS FOR THE PERSON OR PUBLIC, I WILL USE "USE OF FORCE" UNDER STRICT GUIDELINES!
5. Remember the officer OWNS the situation, period end of story. IF he/she does not, it will get out of control and things will go bad in a hurry.

To everyone out there that has had incounters with law enforcement......if you would just act like a responsible adult, you would never had that encounter.

If you have had a bad encounter for something other than you breaking the law or us trying to save your ass, then for that I apologize for the rudeness of other people.

you can now go about bashing the people who put their butts in the line of fire so you can sleep at night. You may not like the police, but without them you would not be able to enjoy your carefree day you are injoying today. :wave:

pokenation
06-10-2009, 07:48 AM
yeah, it must suck to make $80,000 right out of junior college and then be set up for life....that mut be the worst...I can't even imagine all of the pressures of being a cop: verbally degrading people, judging right from wrong, having carte blanche to do whatever, using excessive force if I want, being able to break the law with no reprecussions. It must be awful.
Then again I am talking about small town cops...I have much respect for the NYPD and whatnot

Once again, have you ever been a cop? if you really think this is what happens, i suggest you go to your local law enforcement agency and sign up for a ride along. i think you might change your mind.

do one thing for me.....all day long i really want you to try to figure out which person you talk is thinking about killing you. then figure out the person who doesn't really want to kill you, but has a gun on them and may snap at any moment. then figure out which person that YOU stopped to talk to is going to yell and scream at you when you ask them to do something. Then go to help someone who just lost a loved one and try to get them to settle down enought to help you. Then answer to your boss because he is getting calls that all the people in town drive to fast and why you have not written more tickets. then explain to the person that you are writing a ticket to that you just got your ass chewed for not writing enough tickets.......blah blah blah.

for every person we make happy by helping them, there are two people we pissed off because they hate what we just did.

Then tell me where they are making 80,000.00 a year, my chief only makes 89,000.00 a year. i need to move. then you said they were set for life?? Oh please tell me what you mean by this..........:peace:

vancejohnson82
06-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Once again, have you ever been a cop? if you really think this is what happens, i suggest you go to your local law enforcement agency and sign up for a ride along. i think you might change your mind.

I'm allowed to have my opinion and I'm not trying to degrade your profession in any way.....juts like people talk about lawyers, there are some good but mostly bad.

About 50% of my friends are cops, so I have a lot of knowledge on the "small town" cop and it mostly negative....they are good people but as a majority they all get off on the power trip and the authority they have.

For example, I have a Ford Mustang and during a snowstorm last year i got caught about a half a block from house and couldnt make it up the hill to get home (terrible rear wheel drive)....cop pulls up and tells me I need to get the car in the driveway because there is no parkign on the street...I explain to him my problem (the car couldnt move) and he tells me, "well, thats not for me to figure out, maybe you should get a more reliable car"....i ask is there anything I can do? he says, "get it in the driveway or we ticket you every time the plow comes by".....

no help...no suggestions...no "loooking out for the public"...he was just getting off on me being stuck there and not being able to do anything...I had to shovel two tire tracks all the way up my block to get the car in...the whole time the cop would come by and tell me that it needed to move, as if I was shoveling the street for my own good..

the plow guy comes by and asks me what im doing...I tell him and he says, "why? I can get right around the car and clear both sides, no big deal"

just one example of the many I've had...

vancejohnson82
06-10-2009, 08:02 AM

do one thing for me.....all day long i really want you to try to figure out which person you talk is thinking about killing you. then figure out the person who doesn't really want to kill you, but has a gun on them and may snap at any moment. then figure out which person that YOU stopped to talk to is going to yell and scream at you when you ask them to do something. Then go to help someone who just lost a loved one and try to get them to settle down enought to help you. Then answer to your boss because he is getting calls that all the people in town drive to fast and why you have not written more tickets. then explain to the person that you are writing a ticket to that you just got your ass chewed for not writing enough tickets.......blah blah blah.

for every person we make happy by helping them, there are two people we pissed off because they hate what we just did.

Then tell me where they are making 80,000.00 a year, my chief only makes 89,000.00 a year. i need to move. then you said they were set for life?? Oh please tell me what you mean by this..........:peace:

Hasbrouck Heights NJ....in Bergen County NJ

guys just out of the police force pull in about 80K...thats with the mandatory overtime they put in and whatnot...the cops basically have their own side of town with the new houses they build and whatnot....and the crime rate? jeez, non-existent...not to mention there is one main road and one highway so we arent dealing with a lot of traffic either

skpac1001
06-10-2009, 08:08 AM
I would have to give the benefit of the doubt to the cops in this one until evidence shows up that says otherwise. It sucks he died, but unexpected things happen in life, even if we make the cops wear barney outfits and get aggressive people to comply with hugs. Bad things can happen when you are forcing compliance no matter what you use. Part of being a cop is getting control of situations as quickly as possible to maximize safety for everyone, and part of the risk of that is unexpected things can happen.

pokenation
06-10-2009, 08:08 AM
I know that there are a lot of cops that are not good at there jobs, just like any job.

Im really sorry to hear about your car incident. I can tell you that i live in a town of 25,000 peolple......small town as you call it. that would not have happened here! maybe it is just a regional thing. I can tell you that in the town i live in we have more important things to deal with than cars parked on the side of the street.

i understand that people have had very bad experiences with cops, but i just want everyone to know that not all cops are bad people and that NO ONE knows exactly what happened with the guy that died AFTER he was tazed. it will come out and it will be investigated by another angecy and the truth will come out. He will get his IF the use of force was not justified, but remember there is a Use Of Force scale and if this incident fell inside that scale he will be found "justified" as to the level of force he used.

vancejohnson82
06-10-2009, 08:14 AM
I know that there are a lot of cops that are not good at there jobs, just like any job.

Im really sorry to hear about your car incident. I can tell you that i live in a town of 25,000 peolple......small town as you call it. that would not have happened here! maybe it is just a regional thing. I can tell you that in the town i live in we have more important things to deal with than cars parked on the side of the street.

i understand that people have had very bad experiences with cops, but i just want everyone to know that not all cops are bad people and that NO ONE knows exactly what happened with the guy that died AFTER he was tazed. it will come out and it will be investigated by another angecy and the truth will come out. He will get his IF the use of force was not justified, but remember there is a Use Of Force scale and if this incident fell inside that scale he will be found "justified" as to the level of force he used.

Yea...you live in a town about two times the size of mine....so your job is completely different and you probably have a different set of priorities than the cops in my town. Its also different in my town because all of the cops know ALL of the people...so it becomes a little bit of a "who do you know" game and there are little backstories that go on with each cop... I can tell you from my experiences that the larger the town and the more the cops have to worry about the more they are concerned about the general public.

Also, I want to make it clear that I have tremendous respect for all public service positions....I've just had some bad experiences

Spider
06-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Absolutely and unaquivocally you have no idea about all the circumstances surrounding this incident. Until you do, and until you put the uniform and the badge on you will NEVER understand how difficult of a job law enforcement IS. you guys make alot of your own troubles .......

officers don't come to your job and tell you how much you suck, how you are racists. they dont come to you and tell you that they are going to kill you and your whole family. they don't yell and scream at you for breaking the copy machine.....these are just a few things officers deal with on a daily bases. Bull**** ......... they even come into your house , piss one off , you get harassed non stop

I know, I know.....we signed up for the job and its all part of it. BULLSCHIT!!!!!!!! how some of the public treat law inforcement, when they are the ones that fUQ up is absolute BULLSCHITTTT. LOL this is classic , you guys treat people like **** , then bitch when you get it back ....

There is a reason why MOST officers act the way they do, and until you walk one mile in my shoes or any other officer's shoes.....maybe you should withhold judgement. I don't tell you how to do your job....... LOL , lets all have a pitty party for a bunch of assholes that happen to be armed

1. first and foremost - I make sure I come home to my wife and kids at the end of the day. and this makes you different from everyone else how ?
2. I do MY best to make sure the general public is safe. LOL yeah some guy is parked illegally ............call swat this guy is a menace to society , or lets bust this guy for paying 20.00 for a blow job from some hooker
3. If I piss someone off with a ticket or an arrest, i really don't care. I did not write the laws, i just inforce them. if you don't like the laws contact your elected official or move to your own island. LOL except for one of your own , you guys enforce the law where you see fit ........
4. IF FOR ANY REASON I FEEL THE SITUATION COULD BECOME DANGEROUS FOR THE PERSON OR PUBLIC, I WILL USE "USE OF FORCE" UNDER STRICT GUIDELINES! ala Rodney king
5. Remember the officer OWENS the situation, period end of story. IF he/she does not, it will get out of control and things will go bad in a hurry. yikes huh , but chances are if yo uare already there ,things have already gone bad ........

To everyone out there that has had incounters with law enforcement......if you would just act like a responsible adult, you would never had that encounter. Bull**** , I was in Columbia Missouri snowing , I got pulled over cause the cop couldnt see the license plate on my trailer .......

If you have had a bad encounter for something other than you breaking the law or us trying to save your ass, then for that I apologize for the rudeness of other people. well hell thats makes it all better ...... whew thanks

you can now go about bashing the people who put their butts in the line of fire so you can sleep at night. You may not like the police, but without them you would not be able to enjoy your carefree day you are injoying today. :wave:

you are my hero ......... P.S. the guy down the block has a headlight out .....it could kill someone

rugbythug
06-10-2009, 08:18 AM
you guys make alot of your own troubles .......

Bull**** ......... they even come into your house , piss one off , you get harassed non stop

LOL this is classic , you guys treat people like **** , then b**** when you get it back ....

LOL , lets all have a pitty party for a bunch of a-holes that happen to be armed

and this makes you different from everyone else how ?
LOL yeah some guy is parked illegally ............call swat this guy is a menace to society , or lets bust this guy for paying 20.00 for a blow job from some hooker
LOL except for one of your own , you guys enforce the law where you see fit ........
ala Rodney king
yikes huh , but chances are if yo uare already there ,things have already gone bad ........

Bull**** , I was in Columbia Missouri snowing , I got pulled over cause the cop couldnt see the license plate on my trailer .......

well hell thats makes it all better ...... whew thanks

you are my hero ......... P.S. the guy down the block has a headlight out .....it could kill someone

Spider it's not them it is you.

Spider
06-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Spider it's not them it is you.

Yeah you are right , I should have pulled over every 5 minutes and wipe my licenses plate off ........... Alot of good the cops did for me when my truck got hit , still havent found the guy ........I should have taken that Melton driver up on his offer and chase that SOB down myself ........ I cant tell you how many cars i see broke down and a cop just drives by .........

Spider
06-10-2009, 08:27 AM
;D but if you notice I didnt call him Dude .........
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iErDW9Co17o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iErDW9Co17o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MplsBronco
06-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Just read an article in the Minneapolis Trib about a 72 year old woman in Austin, TX being tased. Cops are hiding behing these things and are becoming unwilling to to do the dirty work required of their job.

Beantown Bronco
06-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Just read an article in the Minneapolis Trib about a 72 year old woman in Austin, TX being tased. Cops are hiding behing these things and are becoming unwilling to to do the dirty work required of their job.

Here's the video:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EQljBMJ2q8o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EQljBMJ2q8o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If you can't control a 72 year old woman without resorting to a taser, you probably should find a new line of work.

vancejohnson82
06-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Here's the video:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EQljBMJ2q8o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EQljBMJ2q8o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If you can't control a 72 year old woman without resorting to a taser, you probably should find a new line of work.

hey, Im at work and cant listen....one question:

Why was she even out of hte car?

Spider
06-10-2009, 08:50 AM
hey, Im at work and cant listen....one question:

Why was she even out of hte car?She refused to sign the ticket , then she said she would but it was to late , Inspector Callahan had to teach her a lesson ............ this is a 44 mag taser , most powerful taser in the world , one shot from this taser will make a 300 pound man piss his pants do you feel lucky punk , well do ya ? .........

Beantown Bronco
06-10-2009, 08:51 AM
He literally pulled her out of the car.

BTW, that's one hot reporter.

vancejohnson82
06-10-2009, 08:53 AM
He literally pulled her out of the car.

ok....thats what it looked like...wow...thats dangerous..pulling someone out of a car on a busy road like that...

i thought maybe she was closing the window on him or something

Spider
06-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Just to set the record strait , if this woman had been on Raider gear or Cowboy gear , I would be 100% supportive of this tasering

Hotrod
06-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Dortohs prediction of the day. This thread will end badly Ha!

pokenation
06-10-2009, 09:23 AM
ok spider, i had your back on a lot of issues on this board just becuase we are both from a great state......but come on. i can absolutely promise several things.

1. coming home safe IS different for law inforcement because (lets use you as an example) we are targets. people are not out there breaking the law and packing guns thinking.....the next truck driver through the door Im going to **** his **** up! yeah you need to keep your truck on the road and keep people from wrecking you....we do too.

2. really??? you have people come up to you and start yelling at you, or want to fight you just because you are loading a piece of equipment, really?? happen on a daily bases???

3. spider, you have no ****ing clue to what people, (like you) will b**** and moan about. like i said if you don't like the laws MOVE!!! if you do like the laws then don't b**** if your ass gets a ticket or gets arrested. And absolutely dont think you are going to get special treatment just because you have been arrested. Dont' **** up and you wont have to b**** or worry about it!!! PERIOD end of story!!!!!!!!

4. I don't want a pitty party from you or anyone else, just worry about your self and not what others are doing. if you want to worry about the cops then become one and see for yourself.

5. when was the last time SWAT was ever called on an illigally parked vehicle??? unless something else was going on as well!!!!

6. I enforce the laws where i see fit. Welp your right, absolutely! its called officer discretion. you don't like it call your elected official, or join the force and you can make the decisions.

7. Rodney king..... right again, your one smart bastard! i have been an officer for 5 years. not very long but i can tell you that i have used my taser once and my stick and pepper spray never. IF any of you don't want to believe me, come to Rock Springs Wyoming and I will personally let you look into my use of force file.

8. you got pulled over because they could not see your plate....ok its against the law to have your plate covered. was it cool he pulled you over, i don't know what he was thinking...but again if you don't like it call someone and b****. he was doing his job, no more than you doing yours.

9. spider, the last thing on the earth i want to be is YOUR hero!!!!!!! i really don't care about you, your family or anyone else you know. All i want to do is go to work and do my job, is that too much to ask, that people restpect me for doing what i was hired to do? And i really don't care if you can twist and turn every single event to make it look like the cop was a dick.

YOU BROKE THE LAW plain and simple. Hey spider you b****ed about him pulling you over for the covered plate, but i did not hear you say thank you for NOT giving you a ticket.....because he could have!

Spider
06-10-2009, 09:44 AM
ok spider, i had your back on a lot of issues on this board just becuase we are both from a great state......but come on. i can absolutely promise several things. ;D Wyoming is great .....

1. coming home safe IS different for law inforcement because (lets use you as an example) we are targets. people are not out there breaking the law and packing guns thinking.....the next truck driver through the door Im going to **** his **** up! yeah you need to keep your truck on the road and keep people from wrecking you....we do too. Truck Drivers are killed alot in robberies , saddest one was when CFI driver pulled into a rest area outside of Tulsa Oklahoma and got blasted with a 12 gauge for 40.00 and some lose change .....

2. really??? you have people come up to you and start yelling at you, or want to fight you just because you are loading a piece of equipment, really?? happen on a daily bases??? not on a daily basis , but yeah it happens more then you think , Dead horse point in Moab , i got into it with a guy cause he wouldnt sign my Bills of lading so I wouldnt let him unload the stuff , he called his rig hands to help him , but yeah there are several confrontations , I got a ticket in Houston texas for an unsecured load , cause the guy at Delta Pipe to me told me to be there by Friday ( the load was loaded on thursday here in Casper at Tube Alloy ) I drove all that way got to Houston @ 1:37 in the after noon , he wasnt there , told me I had to wait until Monday to unload , I told him his pipe would be sitting in the ditch , I wasnt kidding ..........

3. spider, you have no ****ing clue to what people, (like you) will b**** and moan about. like i said if you don't like the laws MOVE!!! Ah so now if I dont like the way I am treated by law enforcement I have to move ? Better yet how about the state hire competent people to enforce the law ? if you do like the laws then don't b**** if your ass gets a ticket or gets arrested. So is there a reeducation camp I can attend so I can stay here ? And absolutely dont think you are going to get special treatment just because you have been arrested. Dont' **** up and you wont have to b**** or worry about it!!! PERIOD end of story!!!!!!!! LOL special treatment ? no how bout being treat like a person instead of a suspect .......

4. I don't want a pitty party from you or anyone else, just worry about your self and not what others are doing. if you want to worry about the cops then become one and see for yourself. is this a threat ? where you at ?

5. when was the last time SWAT was ever called on an illigally parked vehicle??? unless something else was going on as well!!!! When was the last time someone was killed cause someone had a head light out ?

6. I enforce the laws where i see fit. Welp your right, absolutely! its called officer discretion. you don't like it call your elected official, or join the force and you can make the decisions. LOL of course yo udo , all cops do , so spare us the I enforce the laws speech

7. Rodney king..... right again, your one smart bastard! i have been an officer for 5 years. not very long but i can tell you that i have used my taser once and my stick and pepper spray never. IF any of you don't want to believe me, come to Rock Springs Wyoming and I will personally let you look into my use of force file. :rofl: Rock Springs ? Best thing there is John Bunning

8. you got pulled over because they could not see your plate....ok its against the law to have your plate covered. was it cool he pulled you over, i don't know what he was thinking...but again if you don't like it call someone and b****. he was doing his job, no more than you doing yours. LOL come on quit lying , you know damn well what he was thinking , it was Harassment ........

9. spider, the last thing on the earth i want to be is YOUR hero!!!!!!! i really don't care about you, your family or anyone else you know. All i want to do is go to work and do my job, is that too much to ask, that people restpect me for doing what i was hired to do? And i really don't care if you can twist and turn every single event to make it look like the cop was a dick. well I am crushed ............give me a minute here

YOU BROKE THE LAW plain and simple. Hey spider you b****ed about him pulling you over for the covered plate, but i did not hear you say thank you for NOT giving you a ticket.....because he could have!

LOL Truckers legal service ......... they take care of things .......

DomCasual
06-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Dortohs prediction of the day. This thread will end badly Ha!

Who is Dortoh? ???

This is the way I see it. They're both in Wyoming. They're getting irritated and personal. One has a taser, pepper spray, and a beat-down stick; the other one has a wicked throat punch.

I don't see how it could end badly.

Hotrod
06-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Who is Dortoh? ???

This is the way I see it. They're both in Wyoming. They're getting irritated and personal. One has a taser, pepper spray, and a beat-down stick; the other one has a wicked throat punch.

I don't see how it could end badly.

Are you thinking Pay per view here???

DomCasual
06-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Are you thinking Pay per view here???

I don't think they have that kind of technology in Wyoming. But I at least would like a faxed run-down of the event - sent from one of those thermal-paper fax machines, of course.

Spider
06-10-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't think they have that kind of technology in Wyoming. But I at least would like a faxed run-down of the event - sent from one of those thermal-paper fax machines, of course.
your funny ..........you would change your mind once you see we have flashing red lights at our 4 way stops ........;D

DomCasual
06-10-2009, 12:50 PM
your funny ..........you would change your mind once you see we have flashing red lights at our 4 way stops ........;D

Seriously? I guess I haven't been there in awhile! :)

Spider
06-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Seriously? I guess I haven't been there in awhile! :)

Ok you got me , not all of the 4 way stops have them , but some do

Kid A
06-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Crazy, singing guy gets tazed and escapes cops. Really gets going at 1:15 mark. My guess is he's so hyped up on drugs that the tazer barely hurts him.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u-MqBxwbeWg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u-MqBxwbeWg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DBroncos4life
06-10-2009, 01:30 PM

How is the cop going to know that using his taser this time will be any different then the other times he has used it. I bet its way over 90% of the time someone fires a taser gun the person hit doesn't die. If the guy is having a mental issue at the time I'm willing to bet he isn't all there and not going to stop for anything.

Spider
06-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Crazy, singing guy gets tazed and escapes cops. Really gets going at 1:15 mark. My guess is he's so hyped up on drugs that the tazer barely hurts him.

Watching that taser go off reminds me of the cattle prods we used on live stock ..... We used to go around sale barns zapping each other with them ..... @ the time we thought it was pretty funny .And Yes it hurt like hell

DomCasual
06-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Ok you got me , not all of the 4 way stops have them , but some do

And so the truth starts to slip out.

DomCasual
06-10-2009, 01:41 PM

I think that went quite well for them. Sure, maybe it isn't textbook. But still.

Spider
06-10-2009, 01:47 PM
And so the truth starts to slip out.

But on the + side we have a menards

maher_tyler
06-10-2009, 07:04 PM
How is the cop going to know that using his taser this time will be any different then the other times he has used it. I bet its way over 90% of the time someone fires a taser gun the person hit doesn't die. If the guy is having a mental issue at the time I'm willing to bet he isn't all there and not going to stop for anything.

What is so hard about running a guy down and wrestling him to the ground and handcuffing him?? You use stuff like this as a last resort...i doubt this guy did!! I'll bet he didn't just tase him for a few seconds either!!

DomCasual
06-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Updated story about this.

So, he'd taken off his clothes? The guy looks like he's pretty thin. He's naked, or nearly naked? What possible physical threat could he have posed?

I'm imagining less and less possible justification as to why he needed to be tasered. I almost always side with the police in situations like this. This sounds pretty bad from their perspective, though.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6777013

Witness says Cardall's behavior indicated illness, not threat
June 10th, 2009 @ 10:02pm

SALT LAKE CITY -- The investigation continues into the death of Brian Cardall, who died after an officer deployed a Taser against him in southern Utah Tuesday afternoon.

Investigators are still not releasing many details about the incident, but a witness told KSL 5 News the behavior she saw indicated mental illness but not a threat to the public.

Cardall, 32, was traveling with his wife when they stopped so he could take some medication for what his family has described as needed for mental illness. His wife called 911 for help after he started running down the road.

A Washington County woman, who asked us to conceal her identity, saw two officers there with Cardall Tuesday afternoon. "You could tell something was wrong with him," she said.

The woman says Cardall was calm; he'd taken off his clothes and was waving his hands as if he were directing traffic next to the officers on the side of the road.

"As I looked back, he was still standing there. The kids looked back. He was still standing there. He was not running at all the whole time I was driving," the woman said.

She was able to view the scene for about a minute and didn't see Cardall behaving aggressively toward police. She was horrified to learn he was later tased and died.

"I don't think he should have been tasered. It was obvious he had no weapon, no weapon was in his hand," the woman said.

The Hurricane Police Department is referring all questions to Salt Lake lawyer Peter Stirba, but he won't comment on why the officer fired his Taser.

The department did release its Taser use policy Wednesday. It states an officer must base his decision on the same criteria as if they're using a chemical spray or a baton. Officers also must consider the actions of the subject and the threat facing them.

An investigation is being conducted by the Washington County Critical Task Force, which is composed of law enforcement from around the county, excluding Hurricane Police in this instance.

"We're making progress. We're identifying the people who have information about it," said Washington County Undersheriff Jake Adams.

They've also obtained an audio recording of those critical moments that will help in the investigation.

"Apparently he (a responding officer) turned on a digital recorder before he arrived at the scene, and I think that will shed some light," Adams said.

The recording is not yet being released to the public, but investigators say it captured the sound of several passing cars. They'd like to speak to those drivers.

That's one reason the task force isn't commenting yet on Cardall's actions that afternoon.

"One thing we don't want to do is speculate about what he was doing, as we are still trying to get those motorists to call in. We don't want to taint their recollections," Adams said.

"We feel for the family. We feel for the officer, because no one wants to see something like this happen," said Chief Deputy Rob Tersigni, of the Washington County Sheriff's Office.

KSL contacted the Utah Medical Examiner's Office Wednesday and was told that no information on autopsy results is being released right now.

It could be weeks until the investigation is over and we learn the exact circumstances that led the Hurricane officer to discharge his Taser.

fontaine
06-11-2009, 05:38 AM
This was in the same general area as the incident below, about a year ago. Watch this one, and tell me the police officer was within his rights.

I don't doubt that a cop's job is hard. And I really don't doubt that the vast majority of them are honorable, decent people. But the ones that aren't really reflect poorly on the profession.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U8LwQUz61HY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U8LwQUz61HY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Officer John Gardener is a scumbag who's no better than the convict trash he's supposed to arrest.

Tasing a guy because he refused to sign a traffic ticket and doesn't turn around on command like a trained dog?

fontaine
06-11-2009, 05:51 AM
Absolutely and unaquivocally you have no idea about all the circumstances surrounding this incident. Until you do, and until you put the uniform and the badge on you will NEVER understand how difficult of a job law enforcement IS.

Don't you mean some parts of the job are difficult? In the previous video how hard/difficult is it for the trooper to turn around and give back the traffic ticket with "refused to sign" on it like the regulations state? It was much simpler doing that then having to taser a guy in front of his wife and kid and then get into an investigation over it. This was purely about ego and control.

officers don't come to your job and tell you how much you suck, how you are racists. they dont come to you and tell you that they are going to kill you and your whole family. they don't yell and scream at you for breaking the copy machine.....these are just a few things officers deal with on a daily bases.

I know, I know.....we signed up for the job and its all part of it. BULLSCHIT!!!!!!!! how some of the public treat law inforcement, when they are the ones that fUQ up is absolute BULLSCHITTTT.

As do social workers, nurses, teachers, etc etc but funnily enough I don't see them tasing/shooting down people that don't follow their orders like puppets.

There is a reason why MOST officers act the way they do, and until you walk one mile in my shoes or any other officer's shoes.....maybe you should withhold judgement. I don't tell you how to do your job.......

5. Remember the officer OWNS the situation, period end of story. IF he/she does not, it will get out of control and things will go bad in a hurry.

So non cops can't judge cops but cops own the situation and get to hand out judgement at all times?

:giggle:

Must be so hard playing god all day.

cutthemdown
06-11-2009, 05:56 AM
I would not call 911 unless I really had no other option. I've heard to many stories of them showing up and shooting someone.

Cops don't care who called them, they roll to every call with the same mindset, use more force then is rational to make sure you never lose even a little control of any situation.

cutthemdown
06-11-2009, 05:58 AM
we have all said it before, at some point we have to reform the law enforcement agencies, give them outside oversight, get rid of internal affairs, reform the prisons, break the backs of the prison gangs, reform drug laws and reduce the prison population somehow over the next 20 yrs. We simply can't afford to house people for yrs and yrs unless they are killers, rapists, habitual violent criminals.

fontaine
06-11-2009, 06:15 AM
I would not call 911 unless I really had no other option. I've heard to many stories of them showing up and shooting someone.

Cops don't care who called them, they roll to every call with the same mindset, use more force then is rational to make sure you never lose even a little control of any situation.

I wouldn't say all cops. I've had several interactions with cops and all of them have been great, helpful and professional.

But I absolutely hate the fact that cops feel like they have to protect other cops even when it's pretty clear that there is use of excessive and unecessary force. Next to Muslims, cops tend to be the most hard headed in terms of self reformation.

pokenation
06-11-2009, 07:28 AM
I wouldn't say all cops. I've had several interactions with cops and all of them have been great, helpful and professional.

But I absolutely hate the fact that cops feel like they have to protect other cops even when it's pretty clear that there is use of excessive and unecessary force. Next to Muslims, cops tend to be the most hard headed in terms of self reformation.

listen.... i was not protecting him, for all i know it MAY have been unjustified! All i said was that without knowing ALL the FACTS the general public and other officers, who were not on scene, will not know why he fired his taser or if he was justified.

Until you and others on this board are able to read the reports and ACTUALLY hear the testimony of the other witnesses, all you are doing is trashing on a guy for doing something you don't like. That something that you don't like, may actuall have been one of several options. Maybe it wasn't, but you all act like you know what happened and that he was not justified in his level of force.

All im saying is I get tired of people who have NO IDEA of what exactly happened, making up their own mind and telling everybody else what happened.

You don't like tasers? fine! you don't like cops? fine! but at the least let the system work like it was intended, because when it comes down to the nuts and bolts....thats all we (as americans) have to lean back on. Like it or not.

A lot of crimianls get away with murder because the system is set up to protect people, and a lot of power hungery cops get away with being ***** because they think they have the power. which one is better? The cop being a dick or the meth head selling strawberry flavored meth to your kids at the local high school? I hear very little on the board about getting rid of the scum of the earth, but we all have an opinion when it LOOKS LIKE a cop did wrong.

Im not here to change your mind or make you like the police. I would just like for everyone to realize that until it all comes out we will really never know exactly happened.

pokenation
06-11-2009, 07:39 AM
[QUOTE=fontaine;2441080]Don't you mean some parts of the job are difficult? In the previous video how hard/difficult is it for the trooper to turn around and give back the traffic ticket with "refused to sign" on it like the regulations state? It was much simpler doing that then having to taser a guy in front of his wife and kid and then get into an investigation over it. This was purely about ego and control.

Fontaine, not sure about Utah, but in Wyoming you will be arrested for not signing a ticket. Signing a ticket is NOT an admission of guilt, it is just a signiture to prove that you WILL (at the least) appear in court to see the Judge. if you do not sign the ticket, it is saying to the court that you will not (at the least) appear in court. So in turn, you will be arrest and see the Judge in the morning.

like i said, not sure about Utah, but just guess it may be the same.

Spider
06-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Fontaine, not sure about Utah, but in Wyoming you will be arrested for not signing a ticket. Signing a ticket is NOT an admission of guilt, it is just a signiture to prove that you WILL (at the least) appear in court to see the Judge. if you do not sign the ticket, it is saying to the court that you will not (at the least) appear in court. So in turn, you will be arrest and see the Judge in the morning.

like i said, not sure about Utah, but just guess it may be the same.

Thats pretty much anywhere , that doesnt require a cash bond ........

footstepsfrom#27
06-11-2009, 07:45 AM
...which one is better? The cop being a dick or the meth head selling strawberry flavored meth to your kids at the local high school?
That depends. I (and my kids) can avoid the methhead. Frequently one cannot avoid the cops, even if you've done nothing wrong.
I hear very little on the board about getting rid of the scum of the earth, but we all have an opinion when it LOOKS LIKE a cop did wrong.
I read stuff in here all the time about getting rid of the "scum of the earth". Posters on this board supported executing an unarmed, unconscious 16 year old kid in cold blood without benefit of a trial because he tried unsuccessfully to rob a store, and some advocated giving Michael Vick the death penalty for killing dogs.

I've met some excellent police officers. I've met some who are the biggest ****heads breathing God's air.

fontaine
06-12-2009, 03:21 AM
listen.... i was not protecting him, for all i know it MAY have been unjustified! All i said was that without knowing ALL the FACTS the general public and other officers, who were not on scene, will not know why he fired his taser or if he was justified.

Until you and others on this board are able to read the reports and ACTUALLY hear the testimony of the other witnesses, all you are doing is trashing on a guy for doing something you don't like. That something that you don't like, may actuall have been one of several options. Maybe it wasn't, but you all act like you know what happened and that he was not justified in his level of force.

All im saying is I get tired of people who have NO IDEA of what exactly happened, making up their own mind and telling everybody else what happened.

You don't like tasers? fine! you don't like cops? fine! but at the least let the system work like it was intended, because when it comes down to the nuts and bolts....thats all we (as americans) have to lean back on. Like it or not.

A lot of crimianls get away with murder because the system is set up to protect people, and a lot of power hungery cops get away with being ***** because they think they have the power. which one is better? The cop being a dick or the meth head selling strawberry flavored meth to your kids at the local high school? I hear very little on the board about getting rid of the scum of the earth, but we all have an opinion when it LOOKS LIKE a cop did wrong.

Im not here to change your mind or make you like the police. I would just like for everyone to realize that until it all comes out we will really never know exactly happened.

Right, so we should wait till all the facts come out before making up our minds, unless it's the other way around and it happens to be a suspect being arrested, or kids being suspended by a teacher for fighting, etc etc.

You just don't like the fact that people don't like seeing the use of unecessary, excessive force no matter who's using it!!

When it's a cop in question then please, you want everybody to lay off and let the facts come out.

When it's a suspect or in these cases someone who's committing the unholy crime of speeding then harass, tase, and arrest the person, ask questions and wait for the facts to come out later.

:rofl:

Yeah I'd love to see cops use the kind of thought process that you're asking here when they go to arrest a suspect and the suspect yells, "Don't arrest me! Don't tase me or shoot me, you have to realize that until all the facts come out you will really never know exactly happened!"

Why don't you float that by your fellow officers when they're about to arrest a dangerous suspect? "Hey fellows, let's go easy on the guy even though he's intimidating and pushing other people physically, after all we don't know all the facts so let's not make up our minds before they all come out?"

Yeah right, you'd be laughed off the force.

:rofl: :rofl:

That's why it's a lame, tired excuse. There are tough jobs (nurses, teachers, social workers, to name a few) everywhere but just because you may not be able to cope with the stress/strain of your work you want everyone to lay off when a cop may have made a serious mistake?

Yeah, I wonder why that kind of thinking doesn't apply to other lines of work when a doctor, or a teacher messes up and causes serious harm to others.

chadta
06-12-2009, 04:00 AM
if that 72 year old woman was an 18 year old black kid we wouldnt be having this conversation.

sorry but age is no excuse, remember we arent allowed to discriminate by age color sex or creed, you cant have it both ways, either your treated equally or your not.

gyldenlove
06-12-2009, 04:59 AM
if that 72 year old woman was an 18 year old black kid we wouldnt be having this conversation.

sorry but age is no excuse, remember we arent allowed to discriminate by age color sex or creed, you cant have it both ways, either your treated equally or your not.

About that old woman, it was the choice between tasering her and restraining her the manual way, she was clearly being aggressive and non-compliant with the arresting officer, he could have put her in an armlock and cuffed her instead of tasering. But it really does underscore the bigger problem, that police officers have now started tasing people as a means of control.

The taser is meant as a last resort and should replace the use of the baton and gun. It is not meant to be used to control non-dangerous individuals, clearly that 72 year old grandma wasn't going to be able to cause serious harm to that fairly big cop, and I doubt that guy running down the road posed any real or percieved danger to the officer, but instead of calming things down or trying to get control of people without using significant force, the cops go straight for the stun gun.

It is eerily similar to that polish immigrant who died in Vancouver airport from getting tased, he was clearly irate, but at no point did he pose a danger to any of the 4 large policemen on the scene, but to make him compliant they tased him.

chadta
06-12-2009, 04:38 PM
About that old woman, it was the choice between tasering her and restraining her the manual way, she was clearly being aggressive and non-compliant with the arresting officer, he could have put her in an armlock and cuffed her instead of tasering.

yeah and if while trying to control her he breaks her arm, or she bolts out infront of an 18 wheeler, then what ?

he told her what he was gonna do, she told him to do it, and now is complaining that he did.

once again nothing is ever anybody fault, nobody can take responsibility for there own actions.

Bronx33
06-12-2009, 04:43 PM

when in doubt ( tase ) ask questions and pay law suites later.

The motto of the story is some cops are not that smart and when givin a new control toy (will use it)

bombay
06-12-2009, 04:49 PM

I like to discriminate against fat people and old people.

And old fat people.

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 04:53 PM
yeah and if while trying to control her he breaks her arm, or she bolts out infront of an 18 wheeler, then what ?

he told her what he was gonna do, she told him to do it, and now is complaining that he did.

once again nothing is ever anybody fault, nobody can take responsibility for there own actions.
That cuts both ways. But lately when cops do something out of the norm that's abusive I usually here someone talking about the guy that got killed/abused being the one who needs to take responsibility for their own actions. If you use a taser in a way it wasm't meant for...then YOU are the one who needs to take some responsibility.

chadta
06-12-2009, 05:18 PM
root cause

one action caused the other action, the cop didnt randomly grab somebody off the street and harass them

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 05:23 PM
root cause

one action caused the other action, the cop didnt randomly grab somebody off the street and harass them
Cops are specially trained to handle situations appropriately, so when they don't, their actions in response to those they encounter, certainly in situations such as these where no threat to life exists, are justifiably exposed to public scrutiny and yes...their behavior should be scrutinized and when called for, punished if they get out of line.

chadta
06-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Cops are specially trained to handle situations appropriately, so when they don't, their actions in response to those they encounter, certainly in situations such as these where no threat to life exists, are justifiably exposed to public scrutiny and yes...their behavior should be scrutinized and when called for, punished if they get out of line.

and then you end up with cops dead cuz they are afraid to do anything cuz theyre worried about whats going to happen to them.

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 05:43 PM
and then you end up with cops dead cuz they are afraid to do anything cuz theyre worried about whats going to happen to them.
So basically what you're saying is, cops should be able to randomly taser anyone they want to whether or not the situation fits that response or not.

Thanks for making that clear.

chadta
06-12-2009, 05:44 PM
and yes i realize it was an old lady, and she really wasnt a threat, BUT we arent allowed to treat old people differently, its against the law, you cant have it both ways, you cant be treated equal except when it works out to your benefit to get special treatment.

chadta
06-12-2009, 05:46 PM
So basically what you're saying is, cops should be able to randomly taser anyone they want to whether or not the situation fits that response or not.

Thanks for making that clear.

The cop didnt randomly taser anybody, he had somebody who was resisting arrest.

quit cherry picking the parts that suit your warped argument

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 05:50 PM
The cop didnt randomly taser anybody, he had somebody who was resisting arrest.

quit cherry picking the parts that suit your warped argument
My argument is that cops should comply with the guidelines that police officers are supposed to follow in the use of the taser, which as someone already mentioned, is not to control behavior unless it's in lieu of using a gun or night stick. Yours consists of saying that cops are breaking the law if they use common sense in recognizing when not to use the weapon.

Suppose the one resisitng was 95 years old, blind and in a wheel chair...should they get tasered also?

ScottXray
06-12-2009, 06:59 PM
The cop in Utah that tased the guy for refusing to sign the ticket
was wrong....pure and simple. The state patrol office even said that he could have just put "refused to sign" on the ticket and handed it back to him. So Utah does NOT require a signature.

At that point , instead he orders the guy out of the car, and then wants to arrest him. When it verbally escalates a bit, and the guy tries to walk back to his car (with his right hand in his pocket saying" what is Wrong with you?' the cop tases him. Then yells at the wife when she sees her hubby go down screaming and tries to get out of the car. Totally unnescessary. I don't care HOW bad a day the cop had ...he was wrong, and HE caused the situation to go out of control.

Sorry, but that is exactly the kind of cop I don't want out there protecting me or enforcing laws....because he is probably mainly into LE because of a power kick. In my opinion he deserves suspension for six months, without pay, at the least. That guy will only understand if his pocketbook is affected in a major way. Unfortunately he might get a week , maybe two. His department is going pay a lot more to that guy after the lawyers are done.

As to the other cases....no real details on the mental guy, so I'll withold judgement. As others have said cops pull out their tasers too much and too fast anymore.

The Gramma was no threat, and the tasing was probably a bit excessive, but she was LOOKING for a fight, and something was gonna go down no matter what. I guess its required to sign there. Not sure why she was so argumentative to begin with, maybe just a bitch, maybe the ticket was ticky-tack enforcement. Like when cops give tickets for 3 -5 MPH over the limit. Supposedly she was 15 over, but maybe the flow of traffic was near that and it got her going. Id like to know what the beginning of that stop shows on video.

BABronco
06-12-2009, 07:11 PM
The Gramma was no threat, and the tasing was probably a bit excessive, but she was LOOKING for a fight, and something was gonna go down no matter what. I guess its required to sign there. Not sure why she was so argumentative to begin with, maybe just a b****, maybe the ticket was ticky-tack enforcement. Like when cops give tickets for 3 -5 MPH over the limit. Supposedly she was 15 over, but maybe the flow of traffic was near that and it got her going. Id like to know what the beginning of that stop shows on video.

My first ticket was 1 mile over the speed limit. I was livid, but my aunt who is a cop in denver told me a story about a guy who gave her a monopoly get out of jail free card when he was going 18 over. She said she laughed so hard she couldnt give the guy a ticket. So i kept one in my wallet. I get pulled over officer says "Yes, I am going to give you a ticket. It will be 89 dollars". So I whipped out my handy dandy card and he just looked at me like I was retarded. I got my ticket called him and ass and drove off.

Funny thing is I am a lifeguard and I teach swim lessons. He came in a week later for lessons for his 2 kids. I worked there asses off. Made them miserable. And then failed them. Karma is a bitch.

footstepsfrom#27
06-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Funny thing is I am a lifeguard and I teach swim lessons. He came in a week later for lessons for his 2 kids. I worked there asses off. Made them miserable. And then failed them. Karma is a b****.
Awesome stuff.

gunns
06-12-2009, 09:16 PM

Bill Maher was just on his show talking about this one. Saying "what, had a hard time getting her under control". And then about the cops complaining about her language..."what'd she do, call you a pussy? Because that's what you are if you have to taser a 72 year old woman".

The guy tasered in Utah, some witnesses are saying the cops antagonized the situation. One witness said the guy was calmly standing on the side of the road as the cops drove up. I don't know what happened but I do wonder when we are going to stop saying "well, I can understand the stress they are under" after they shoot an unarmed man 41 times. This didn't sound like a situation where this guy should have ended up dead.

cutthemdown
06-12-2009, 09:34 PM
My first ticket was 1 mile over the speed limit. I was livid, but my aunt who is a cop in denver told me a story about a guy who gave her a monopoly get out of jail free card when he was going 18 over. She said she laughed so hard she couldnt give the guy a ticket. So i kept one in my wallet. I get pulled over officer says "Yes, I am going to give you a ticket. It will be 89 dollars". So I whipped out my handy dandy card and he just looked at me like I was retarded. I got my ticket called him and ass and drove off.

Funny thing is I am a lifeguard and I teach swim lessons. He came in a week later for lessons for his 2 kids. I worked there asses off. Made them miserable. And then failed them. Karma is a b****.

Wow taking it out on some innocent kids. Way to be a man there buddy.

BABronco
06-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Wow taking it out on some innocent kids. Way to be a man there buddy.

Chill man, they were like 5 years younger than me at the time. And again... karma is a bitch. You wanna give someone a hard time for going 1 mile over (it got dropped but still pissed me off) you are gonna get it back.