PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler Alert! Why eight division expectations won’t pan out

BroncoInSkinland
06-08-2009, 05:03 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhyUntJm.ru3cG2uex5fbDtDubYF?slug=cnnsi-2009_damon_hack_06_05_spoiler-alerts&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

AFC West

Expectation: The Denver Broncos will carry their offseason baggage into the season, ruining any postseason chances.

Spoiler alert: While the Josh McDaniels-Jay Cutler(notes) soap opera was playing out—and serving as a huge distraction—the Broncos were quietly addressing their biggest need: fixing their defense. They hired Mike Nolan, the former Niners coach who has found more success as a defensive coordinator. They signed strong safety Brian Dawkins(notes), the former Eagle who will add passion and toughness to a team soft against the run. They used four of their first six draft picks on defensive players. While McDaniels absolutely bungled the Cutler affair, Kyle Orton(notes) and Chris Simms(notes), though not big-armed Pro Bowl quarterbacks, are smart and accurate at short range. The Broncos open the season against three rebuilding teams: Cincinnati, Cleveland and Oakland. If they start quickly, the soap opera will begin to fade away.

TheReverend
06-08-2009, 05:13 AM
"The soap opera will fade away"

No. Sadly, it will be around for a decade for better or for worse.

BroncoInSkinland
06-08-2009, 05:32 AM

I would say it depends. if Jay tanks and the Broncos come out with a better record than the Bears, and Orton or Simms look good while we do it, end of story. If any of those three things don't happen, the drama continues. Of course you will always have a few around that will play the what if game, and it has no possibility of ending after three games, even if we do beat the questionable competition in all three of them it will take at least a full season.

I also seriously disagree with his assessment that we fixed the defense. We made some strides, but not where it matters most.

missingnumber7
06-08-2009, 08:30 AM
I didn't think it was possible but we have found someone more immature than Marshall....TO COACH THE FRIGGIN TEAM.

SoDak Bronco
06-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Gawd I'd love to see the bears tank and us pull a top 10-12 pick

footstepsfrom#27
06-08-2009, 08:56 AM
I would say it depends. if Jay tanks and the Broncos come out with a better record than the Bears, and Orton or Simms look good while we do it, end of story.
End of story? Hardly. This mess will last as long as Cutler plays in the league. I don't even factor this year into it. The real questions will come when Chicago gets a couple more offensive weapons.

Unless Orton pulls a Brady this will never go away.

SoDak Bronco
06-08-2009, 09:11 AM
The big factor in the short term is where we draft and where the bears draft....That and what we do with the pick...

missingnumber7
06-08-2009, 09:14 AM
I'd rather just bank on having a good season.

Pick Six
06-08-2009, 09:14 AM
I didn't think it was possible but we have found someone more immature than Marshall....TO COACH THE FRIGGIN TEAM.

More immature than a so-called "franchise quarterback" who whines about a perceived lack of respect and demands to be traded? I don't think so...

SportinOne
06-08-2009, 09:21 AM
End of story? Hardly. This mess will last as long as Cutler plays in the league. I don't even factor this year into it. The real questions will come when Chicago gets a couple more offensive weapons.

I agree with this. The Bears didn't go into the offseason thinking they were about to land a franchise qb. Give them a year or two to get some more weapons.. They already have Forte, they already have Olsen. Those two will help more than most people believe. It's just going to take solid O-line play and a good receiver or two. The former will take some work while the latter is about as easy or as hard as the Bears want to make it.

If the Bears win a super bowl with Cutler, even a big interview with McDaniels having him explain that he 'always thought Cutler was a great QB and that it is unfortunate that he chose to be traded' will not change the way Denver fans will feel about it: PISSED OFF. And when that happens, I hope people here will be willing to admit that the whole "Jay isn't a winner" mantra was about as stupid as Jared Allen.

Now, if we also win a super bowl in the next four to five years and McDaniels is still here I don't think anyone will care about Cutler quite as much. However, you can say that we have improved all you want.. but look around the league. Off the top of my head I could list 20 teams that are definitely better than us. That is interesting considering the fact that we almost made the playoffs last year.

6 wins - Lucky
4-5 wins - Probable
3 or less - Not surprising

This is reality

SonOfLe-loLang
06-08-2009, 09:29 AM
More immature than a so-called "franchise quarterback" who whines about a perceived lack of respect and demands to be traded? I don't think so...

Agreed. I still don't know how McDaniels is blamed for any of this. As ive stated many times, when this whole thing started Cutler 1) Lost no money, 2) lost zero playing time, and 3) was still the focal point of the offense. All over something thats incredibly commonplace in professional sports. Condoning such behavior is ridiculous. Suck a dick, Jay. A big veiny one.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-08-2009, 09:31 AM

Actually, how is McDaniels immature at all? I think he's pretty much said the right thing at every turn. You may not agree with some of his decisions, but unless im forgetting something, he's only handled himself with class since being here.

broncofan7
06-08-2009, 09:39 AM
"All of you are whiners! and Pussies! Why don't you go become BEAR's FANS!" -Signed POPPS.

Just figured I beat him to it.

bronco militia
06-08-2009, 09:46 AM
I expect the broncos to be 3-0,after the first three games.

But I'll be surprised if the broncos are anywhere near .500 after the following 8 weeks.

fdf
06-08-2009, 10:10 AM

Stop that. You are never allowed to compare fantasies to the actual alternative. Only to the acceptable fantasy--in reality, Cutler was actually John Elway in disguise and would have revealed himself as such on the first game of next season. He would have been the league MVP for 25 years and lead us to 25 consecutive superbowls. Of course trading him to Chicago was a bad decision.

telluride
06-08-2009, 11:33 AM

First, Reverend, you really just need to let it go. All this whining and moaning about Cutler being gone really doesn't accomplish anything.

That said, here's the reality: there is no way on earth that Cutler will still be in the league a decade from now. His health and personal issues will see to that. The health/stamina/durability of people with Type 1 diabetes does not improve with age -- it rapidly worsens. Even if he took immaculate care of himself and stopped drinking, Cutler would get progressively worse over the next several years. More mood swings; more fugue states; more lingering injuries. Factor in Cutler's drinking, his baseline moodiness, his stubborness, and his ego, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

He's going to be out of the league in 5 years.

broncofan7
06-08-2009, 12:05 PM
First, Reverend, you really just need to let it go. All this whining and moaning about Cutler being gone really doesn't accomplish anything.

That said, here's the reality: there is no way on earth that Cutler will still be in the league a decade from now. His health and personal issues will see to that. The health/stamina/durability of people with Type 1 diabetes does not improve with age -- it rapidly worsens. Even if he took immaculate care of himself and stopped drinking, Cutler would get progressively worse over the next several years. More mood swings; more fugue states; more lingering injuries. Factor in Cutler's drinking, his baseline moodiness, his stubborness, and his ego, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

He's going to be out of the league in 5 years.

Good one. :rofl:

BroncoMan4ever
06-08-2009, 12:34 PM

sadly i agree. honestly i feel it will come down to who wins a super bowl 1st. if McDaniels can guide Denver through a rebuild and get to and win a super bowl before Jay can lead the Bears to a super bowl, it will go down as an ok move by McDaniels, but if Cutler goes out and wins a super bowl in CHicago before Denver, or if McDaniels gets fired within the next 4 years, it will be seen as a stupid move.

basically the best thing McDaniels can do, is win right away.

TheReverend
06-08-2009, 12:39 PM
sadly i agree. honestly i feel it will come down to who wins a super bowl 1st. if McDaniels can guide Denver through a rebuild and get to and win a super bowl before Jay can lead the Bears to a super bowl, it will go down as an ok move by McDaniels, but if Cutler goes out and wins a super bowl in CHicago before Denver, or if McDaniels gets fired within the next 4 years, it will be seen as a stupid move.

basically the best thing McDaniels can do, is win right away.

Which is why he popped what's realistically a top 5-10 draft pick on a 5'9 CB in the 2nd round of a weak draft...

If we tank this season, Alphonso better be the best goddamn CB in the league 2 years down the line.

Rock Chalk
06-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Which is why he popped what's realistically a top 5-10 draft pick on a 5'9 CB in the 2nd round of a weak draft...

If we tank this season, Alphonso better be the best goddamn CB in the league 2 years down the line.

Why is it "realistically" a top 5-10 draft pick?

We had 12 last year and have improved every single position except QB.

We went 8-8 last year and would have made the playoffs but for that idiot QB in the Buffalo game blowing chunks in the red zone.

I dont see why you people are so dead set on thinking we are going to suck suck suck this year.

worm
06-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Agreed. I still don't know how McDaniels is blamed for any of this.

And yet the majority of the sports world outside of Colorado doesn't see it this way. Most RATIONAL people see culpability on both sides.

When you see pink skies while the rest of the world sees blue....maybe it is time to get back in touch with reality.

TheReverend
06-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Why is it "realistically" a top 5-10 draft pick?

We had 12 last year and have improved every single position except QB.

We went 8-8 last year and would have made the playoffs but for that idiot QB in the Buffalo game blowing chunks in the red zone.

I dont see why you people are so dead set on thinking we are going to suck suck suck this year.

Because we have a brutal schedule, a new system on both sides of the ball, still a dearth of talent on the defensive side, and 2 QBs that belong more on a Fruit Loops cereal box than Wheaties.

Will it be awesome if Denver is a play off team again?

Absolutely. I don't expect it this season one bit though and am expecting a very rough year.