PDA

View Full Version : D day

Spider
06-06-2009, 09:06 AM
The longest day ..............http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&vid=4d1edbe5-d903-4d7d-9898-b303764714f0&playlist=videoByUuids:uuids:e548b260-fda5-45e8-9cd7-971b9af89ad0%2Cb17d8eea-afc2-43c2-8bbe-6e614a0710ff%2Ccb18eee8-046f-48da-a39b-84548c4d83d7&from=MSNHP&tab=m1244212142585&GT1=42007Plenty of good video ............

Spider
06-06-2009, 09:13 AM
even better link http://www.army.mil/d-day/

STBumpkin
06-06-2009, 09:28 AM
The Battle of Midway was also happening on this day (4-7 June, 1942). Both pivotal battle in WWII

Spider
06-06-2009, 09:34 AM
The Battle of Midway was also happening on this day (4-7 June, 1942). Both pivotal battle in WWII

yep ..........I think D day get more remembrance cause of the odds those guys faced ,and the task they had to preform

lex
06-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Does anyone get the military channel? They had a really good rundown of Midway. Last night I watched them feature the Battle of the Bulge. Good stuff.

Spider
06-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Does anyone get the military channel? They had a really good rundown of Midway. Last night I watched them feature the Battle of the Bulge. Good stuff.

I get that channel ,but I dont watch it much .........

Broncojef
06-06-2009, 09:40 AM
The longest day ..............http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&vid=4d1edbe5-d903-4d7d-9898-b303764714f0&playlist=videoByUuids:uuids:e548b260-fda5-45e8-9cd7-971b9af89ad0%2Cb17d8eea-afc2-43c2-8bbe-6e614a0710ff%2Ccb18eee8-046f-48da-a39b-84548c4d83d7&from=MSNHP&tab=m1244212142585&GT1=42007Plenty of good video ............

I don't know if you ever watched it Spider but Band of Brothers was one of my favorite DVD collections ever and of course Saving Private Ryan with the aftermath of airborne guys with units spread all over France was one of my favorite movies as well. I'm sure alot of us have relatives that we're involved in alot of stuff during that time, must have been incredible.

Spider
06-06-2009, 09:49 AM
I don't know if you ever watched it Spider but Band of Brothers was one of my favorite DVD collections ever and of course Saving Private Ryan with the aftermath of airborne guys with units spread all over France was one of my favorite movies as well. I'm sure alot of us have relatives that we're involved in alot of stuff during that time, must have been incredible.

I also enjoyed Boys of Company C .....My grandpa was in WW1 and my uncles in WW2 , ,Dad in Nam

Spider
06-06-2009, 09:55 AM
A friend of mine growing up , his Dad was in the Navy during WW2 , talking about pill boxes , My Friends dad always wanted to go to Midway , and go underwater diving to see the wreckage

Broncojef
06-06-2009, 11:14 AM
A friend of mine growing up , his Dad was in the Navy during WW2 , talking about pill boxes , My Friends dad always wanted to go to Midway , and go underwater diving to see the wreckage

My grandfather sometimes spoke of a secret meeting at a crossroads in the middle of nowhere in France where Eisenhower, Bradley and Patton all met one day in separate jeeps...if the Germans had only known. My grandfather was a Staff Sergeant Supply/Quartermaster type during the great war, he somehow witnessed this meeting in person, must have been pretty cool.

Broncojef
06-06-2009, 11:18 AM
I also enjoyed Boys of Company C .....My grandpa was in WW1 and my uncles in WW2 , ,Dad in Nam

Classic movie!!! My grandpa was in WWII, I served during the first gulf war and have pictures of way old relatives fighting for a Pennslyvania regiment during the civil war.

Spider
06-06-2009, 11:30 AM
My grandfather sometimes spoke of a secret meeting at a crossroads in the middle of nowhere in France where Eisenhower, Bradley and Patton all met one day in separate jeeps...if the Germans had only known. My grandfather was a Staff Sergeant Supply/Quartermaster type during the great war, he somehow witnessed this meeting in person, must have been pretty cool.

;D I didnt know of this ........Bradley and Patton were a couple of bad asses....

Classic movie!!! My grandpa was in WWII, I served during the first gulf war and have pictures of way old relatives fighting for a Pennslyvania regiment during the civil war. I tried to serve but way before Gulf war 1 , I made it to MEPS in Denver there , and was greeted by Denvers finest , I was wanted for attempted murder , thought the military was a good place to hide ( I never claimed to be a genius ;D ) Back then the military was damn picky about who came in .........

C130Herkload
06-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Im in Normandy right now. Staying near Cherbourg. Big party at Ste. Mere Eglise tonight with the airbourne-so far a great time. Crappy weather today, hopefully better tomorrow for our drops. Ill post pix when I get home Tues.

loadclear.

cutthemdown
06-06-2009, 03:49 PM
yep ..........I think D day get more remembrance cause of the odds those guys faced ,and the task they had to preform

But had the last of our carriers gotten sunk at Midway, I doubt d-day would have ever even happened. Japan would have rolled up all the way to the west coast of USA.

Spider
06-06-2009, 03:55 PM
But had the last of our carriers gotten sunk at Midway, I doubt d-day would have ever even happened. Japan would have rolled up all the way to the west coast of USA.

you dont know that for sure .........Japan hitting the coast of Cali would have been suicide ..... way to many places to launch planes from ........

Hogan11
06-06-2009, 04:05 PM

My Father (USN) and two Uncles (USMC) fought in WWII, but all were sent to the Pacific, all involved in Iwo Jima and Peleliu.

The weird thing is I never heard any of them express any desire to go back to any of the places they fought at.

Spider
06-06-2009, 04:22 PM
My Father (USN) and two Uncles (USMC) fought in WWII, but all were sent to the Pacific, all involved in Iwo Jima and Peleliu.

The weird thing is I never heard any of them express any desire to go back to any of the places they fought at.

My Uncle died at Iwo Jima as well , I thought it was odd ..... He never did give a reason , I just know he wanted to go ........

Broncojef
06-06-2009, 04:37 PM

My grandpa wouldn't talk too much about it at all let alone ever want to go back. He had cool stories if you could ever get him talking.

Hogan11
06-06-2009, 04:42 PM
My grandpa wouldn't talk too much about it at all let alone ever want to go back. He had cool stories if you could ever get him talking.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Whenever I asked about it, they'd be fast to change the subject...never got a first hand account from any of them. Understandable really because it was pretty horrific stuff from what I've read anyways. I respected that and never pushed the issue.

Spider
06-06-2009, 04:43 PM

My Friends dad talked all the time about it , showed us his Uniform , medals , pictures ...... I want to say he served on USS VIRRO , mine sweeper , but I could be wrong , it has been along time

PaintballCLE
06-06-2009, 04:48 PM
;D I didnt know of this ........Bradley and Patton were a couple of bad asses....
I tried to serve but way before Gulf war 1 , I made it to MEPS in Denver there , and was greeted by Denvers finest , I was wanted for attempted murder , thought the military was a good place to hide ( I never claimed to be a genius ;D ) Back then the military was damn picky about who came in .........

attempted murder huh????

And if they knew then what the know now........they woul dhave surely taken you. WW3 would be fought with our top secret weapon..........the throatpunch 3000

loborugger
06-06-2009, 04:50 PM

Is your grandpa still around? For me, WW I is much more interesting and relevant to this day and age. Probably some good stories there.

Spider
06-06-2009, 04:52 PM
attempted murder huh????

And if they knew then what the know now........they woul dhave surely taken you. WW3 would be fought with our top secret weapon..........the throatpunch 3000

well there was more to it then that, I made it worse trying to run , got reduced down to Bodily assault with intent to do harm 3 rd degree ........Still a felony

Spider
06-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Is your grandpa still around? For me, WW I is much more interesting and relevant to this day and age. Probably some good stories there.
No My Grandpa died back in the early 80's

Archer81
06-06-2009, 04:59 PM

Midway had a more direct impact on our operations for the entire war then DDay did. Not knocking the invasion of Normandy, but losing Midway leaves Hawaii completely unprotected and pushes the US navy back to the North American coastline, and a loss like that might have entirely scrapped our "europe" first strategy, prolonging the war. I am happy we won both, world would be very different if we lose one or both of those.

:Broncos:

Spider
06-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Midway had a more direct impact on our operations for the entire war then DDay did. Not knocking the invasion of Normandy, but losing Midway leaves Hawaii completely unprotected and pushes the US navy back to the North American coastline, and a loss like that might have entirely scrapped our "europe" first strategy, prolonging the war. I am happy we won both, world would be very different if we lose one or both of those.

:Broncos:you cant say that , best you can say is , it might have delayed D -Day ........ But you dont know for sure .......

Spider
06-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Just like the German Panzer , we had to find away to defeat them , we did ...... you guys sell Americans way to ****ing short........ We was on the short end on bothsides , found away to over come ......

Archer81
06-06-2009, 05:14 PM
you cant say that , best you can say is , it might have delayed D -Day ........ But you dont know for sure .......

It would have delayed DDay, no doubts about that.

:Broncos: