PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the receivers in the AFC West

Bronco Rob
06-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

We will continue to look at some AFC West rankings as we fight through the sometimes slow days of June.

Let's take a look at the top receivers (being last on this list is not a bad thing) in the division:

1. Brandon Marshall, Denver: Marshall is a special talent. He has surpassed the 100-catch plateau in his second and third NFL seasons. If he can stay healthy and stay out of trouble off the field, he should continue to be one of the best players in the league.

2. Vincent Jackson, San Diego: Jackson is a big, strong, fast player who comes up big in big games. He is a matchup nightmare. Expect him to continue to improve.

3. Dwayne "hands of stone" Bowe, Kansas City: This is a very top-heavy group and Bowe begins in it. He is going to be Matt Cassel's best friend in Kansas City. This is an outstanding player.

4. Eddie Royal, Denver: Royal was one of the best rookies in the NFL last season. He is a big-league playmaker and he will make Kyle Orton's life much easier in Denver. Don't be surprised if he plays a Wes Welker-type slot position in Josh McDaniels' system.

5. Chris Chambers, San Diego: Chambers' career has slowed a bit but he still can be helpful. The key is he has to stay healthy. In San Diego's multifaceted offense, he can still be a big weapon.

6. Darrius Heyward-Bey-Bey-Kids, Oakland: Heyward-Bey may have been drafted too early, but the rookie has some decent skills. Expect him to make some big plays this year while he learns the NFL game.

7. Brandon Stokley, Denver: Stokley's career is waning, but he is still an effective No. 3 receiver. Some league observers think he's one of the best third receivers of all time.

8. Chaz Schilens, Oakland: If both Heyward-Bey and Schilens develop quickly, Oakland should be in good shape. Schilens, like Heyward-Bey, has a lot of potential. He is big, strong and fast. He'll get a chance to make plays this season.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest

ward63
06-04-2009, 02:53 PM
First off, id take Chambers over Jackson and I would go Marshall, Bowe, Royal, Chambers and Jackson w/my top 5

PRBronco
06-04-2009, 02:56 PM
8. Chaz Schilens, Oakland:

Who????

Also they forgot BUSTer Davis. He's a first round pick you know.

lololol

orange crusher
06-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Saying Heyward-Bey is a better receiver than Stokely is a reach, considering Heyward-Bey has yet to play a down in the NFL.

Pontius Pirate
06-04-2009, 04:03 PM
TJ Houshyourmomma is easily in the top 5

maher_tyler
06-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Saying Heyward-Bey is a better receiver than Stokely is a reach, considering Heyward-Bey has yet to play a down in the NFL.

I agree!!

BigPlayShay
06-04-2009, 04:10 PM
TJ Houshyourmomma is easily in the top 5

I must have missed that they moved Seattle back into the AFC West.

boltaneer
06-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Actually it's not a bad list except for 6-8. I'd put Stokley at 6 and Malcom Floyd at 7.

No #8. Everyone else in the division is unproven or not deserving of this list.

Hamrob
06-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Jackson may actually be the best WR on that list. I'm a BMarsh fan...but he does drop alot of balls...has a hard time getting deep and is still very immature.

Jackson is a beast!

SonOfLe-loLang
06-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Id put gaffney at 8 over that raider

The Joker
06-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Actually it's not a bad list except for 6-8. I'd put Stokley at 6 and Malcom Floyd at 7.

No #8. Everyone else in the division is unproven or not deserving of this list.

Floyd could develop into a very good receiver one day from what I've seen. I doubt he'll ever be a superstar in the league, but he'll make a very solid target opposite Jackson in years to come.

Jackson may actually be the best WR on that list. I'm a BMarsh fan...but he does drop alot of balls...has a hard time getting deep and is still very immature.

Jackson is a beast!

Dont' be ridiculous.

I like Jackson, but Marshall is on another level to him right now.

Gcver2ver3
06-04-2009, 05:55 PM
i think Marsh and Royal are the two best WRs in the AFC West...

thats my homer pick of the day...

Bowe 3rd and VJ 4th...

KipCorrington25
06-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Vincent Jackson, the guy Shannahan wouldn't draft because he couldn't make the team in his opinion, a team with Chris Cole on it I might add.

Sacked by Croel
06-04-2009, 06:31 PM

Jackson is a beast!

Where was Jackson in year two and three? Jackson didn't have a breakout year until year four. Marshall hasn't even played year four and he already has two 100 reception seasons.

Sacked by Croel
06-04-2009, 06:36 PM
I also wanted to add Jackson is an immature guy, too. He's been busted twice for DUIs. He's a showboat that taunts opponents and does silly stunts like spin the ball on the ground when he's not down.

elsid13
06-04-2009, 06:43 PM
8. Chaz Schilens, Oakland:

Who????

Also they forgot BUSTer Davis. He's a first round pick you know.

lololol

He was rookie last year that played pretty well. If they had QB he might be nice number #2 target some day.

BroncoBuff
06-04-2009, 07:54 PM
nice ....

400HZ
06-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Floyd could develop into a very good receiver one day from what I've seen. I doubt he'll ever be a superstar in the league, but he'll make a very solid target opposite Jackson in years to come.

Dont' be ridiculous.

I like Jackson, but Marshall is on another level to him right now.

Jackson doesn't have the skills as a possession receiver that Marshall does. That sort of prevents him from being a true #1 receiver right now, in my opinion, although he is fabulous on deeper routes. He's a perfect fit for a Norv offense since it doesn't ask him to catch many balls in the short game.

Floyd wows every year for a stretch but something always prevents him from breaking out. Either injuries or getting on Norv's **** list or something. I doubt he will ever pull it all together, but he has size and hands that cannot be taught. The 1000 yard potential is there. Good things almost always happen when the ball is thrown his way.

If I was building for the future I would take Royal, Bowe, and Jackson in that order. Marshall is too much of an off field jackass. I know Jackson has the DUI's, but we're talking about two arrests versus ten or whatever Marshall has.

I agree with the top 5 of Williamson's list if we're talking about current ability.

GoHAM
06-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Malcom Floyd - The only Charger I don't wish death upon on a daily basis. (Figuratively speaking)

Although a couple more big/clutch catches against the Broncos and that will change.

GoHAM
06-04-2009, 08:36 PM
For my money Marshall/Royal is easily a better combo than Chambers/Jackson.

maher_tyler
06-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Jackson doesn't have the skills as a possession receiver that Marshall does. That sort of prevents him from being a true #1 receiver right now, in my opinion, although he is fabulous on deeper routes. He's a perfect fit for a Norv offense since it doesn't ask him to catch many balls in the short game.

Floyd wows every year for a stretch but something always prevents him from breaking out. Either injuries or getting on Norv's **** list or something. I doubt he will ever pull it all together, but he has size and hands that cannot be taught. The 1000 yard potential is there. Good things almost always happen when the ball is thrown his way.

If I was building for the future I would take Royal, Bowe, and Jackson in that order. Marshall is too much of an off field jackass. I know Jackson has the DUI's, but we're talking about two arrests versus ten or whatever Marshall has.

I agree with the top 5 of Williamson's list if we're talking about current ability.

:rofl: at the avvy

Vegas_Bronco
06-05-2009, 12:32 AM
:rofl: at the avvy

That is pretty damn funny LOL

Ray Finkle
06-05-2009, 05:05 AM
Vincent Jackson, the guy Shannahan wouldn't draft because he couldn't make the team in his opinion, a team with Chris Cole on it I might add.

??? Jackson was the next option if D-Will was taken....

cmhargrove
06-05-2009, 06:46 AM

Great analysis.

The difficult catches (short and long) seem to go to Gates, but Jackson really is tremendous down the field. For such a big guy, he really knows how to accelerate deep, and he definitely wins the fight for the ball.

Jackson is a very solid receiver - possibly because they have such a great run game. I think it sets him up for the right coverages and deep routes to be successful.

Anyone that says Jackson isn't a solid receiver is a dork. He's a real weapon, he just can't "take over a game" on his own.

footstepsfrom#27
06-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Marshall is very good, but I actually think Eddie Royal may emerge as the better receiver this year if he's used in the slot like NE used Gaffney. IF, and only IF...Orton proves he can get the ball downfield, not just hit the 8-15 yard patterns, Eddie could have a huge year. He was amazing as a rookie, rare for NFL receivers.

Here's something to consider...if Quinn is going to see the field more than just goal line situations, and if Graham is the starter...why not move Scheffler to WR? A 3 receiver set with he and Marshall wide and Eddie in the slot would be produce devestating matchup problems for any secondary.

cmhargrove
06-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Marshall is very good, but I actually think Eddie Royal may emerge as the better receiver this year if he's used in the slot like NE used Gaffney. IF, and only IF...Orton proves he can get the ball downfield, not just hit the 8-15 yard patterns, Eddie could have a huge year. He was amazing as a rookie, rare for NFL receivers.

Here's something to consider...if Quinn is going to see the field more than just goal line situations, and if Graham is the starter...why not move Scheffler to WR? A 3 receiver set with he and Marshall wide and Eddie in the slot would be produce devestating matchup problems for any secondary.

It's not a bad idea, but it isn't the best matchup either.

Tony's strength comes from the TE position where he will always "burn" the LB's assigned to cover him. If he is constantly covered by safeties and corners, he won't quiter get the same separation (I think).

However, I think we can count on McD trying anything and everything that works, and probably spreading some disinformation like his previous HC.

In general, it's about the mismatch. But, Tony is a good enough receiver to make a catch against most D-backs - it just may not be the best use of talent.

400HZ
Great analysis.

The difficult catches (short and long) seem to go to Gates, but Jackson really is tremendous down the field. For such a big guy, he really knows how to accelerate deep, and he definitely wins the fight for the ball.

Jackson is a very solid receiver - possibly because they have such a great run game. I think it sets him up for the right coverages and deep routes to be successful.

Anyone that says Jackson isn't a solid receiver is a dork. He's a real weapon, he just can't "take over a game" on his own.

It's mainly just old fashion max protection five or seven step drop with only two or three receivers running routes and either a runningback or tight end leaving late as the checkdown option. San Diego's run game was ineffective last year and there were a lot of 3rd and longs which prevented much variety.

no-pseudo-fan
B-Marsh is better at 80%(on a bum hiP) than Jackson is at full strength.

Cito Pelon
06-05-2009, 07:28 AM

Nah. . . not really a matchup problem against a CB. Tony they want matched up against LB's and S's.

footstepsfrom#27
06-05-2009, 07:39 AM
It's not a bad idea, but it isn't the best matchup either.

Tony's strength comes from the TE position where he will always "burn" the LB's assigned to cover him. If he is constantly covered by safeties and corners, he won't quiter get the same separation (I think).

However, I think we can count on McD trying anything and everything that works, and probably spreading some disinformation like his previous HC.

In general, it's about the mismatch. But, Tony is a good enough receiver to make a catch against most D-backs - it just may not be the best use of talent.
How many CB's can consistently cover a 6'5" 255 pound receiver? Even without separation, it presents a 5-8 inch height advantage against most corners. As I understand what McDaniels has said, he's already considering moving him around, so I would think that also means he'll be split out wide at times. I'm not suggesting he start...that would mean only one RB on the field and I don't want to remove Hillis. But I do think there are a lot of situations where he presents major problems as a WR. How else can you get him on the field if we employ 2 TE formations?

vancejohnson82
06-05-2009, 07:44 AM
how does Jackson get the nod over Bowe?

and Chambers?

The AFC West isnt really too deep with reciever talent

vancejohnson82
06-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Hixon would have made this list......nevermind

Cito Pelon
06-05-2009, 09:12 AM
How many CB's can consistently cover a 6'5" 255 pound receiver? Even without separation, it presents a 5-8 inch height advantage against most corners. As I understand what McDaniels has said, he's already considering moving him around, so I would think that also means he'll be split out wide at times. I'm not suggesting he start...that would mean only one RB on the field and I don't want to remove Hillis. But I do think there are a lot of situations where he presents major problems as a WR. How else can you get him on the field if we employ 2 TE formations?

It's possible to use him split wide, but his patterns will be limited. He's not gonna be running outs or fly's, stop and go's, curls. He could run those patterns, but they wouldn't be successful at all. Even a slant the CB would outquick him to the ball 9 times out of 10, or the pass would have to be so low and inside Tony probly couldn't catch it.

The only pattern I can see being successful split wide would be him cutting across the field behind the LB's, and even with that pattern a real WR would have more success, would get to the open spot faster.

They could use him for pick plays when split wide, they'll probably try that sometimes.

The guy is a TE, he has to work close to the OT. He has no WR skills.

Garcia Bronco
06-05-2009, 09:18 AM
I'd say that's about the same for the entire NFL last year.

The Joker
06-05-2009, 09:34 AM

Nexy year's offense should be fun to watch for the sheer variation players and formations we see from play to play.

We'll have our 5 O-Linemen and QB in on every play, obviously.

After that, we have Royal, Marshall, Moreno and Graham as guys who will be on the field a good percentage of the time.

We then have two very versatile weapons in Hillis and Scheffler that we can bring in and move around and create matchup problems for the defense. With Marshall and Royal on the field, these two guys are going to get some very favourable matchups in coverage and should see a lot of snaps.

After that, we have guys like Quinn, Stokely and Gaffney who I expect will be role players. Buckhalter will probably spell Moreno, and if McKinley can show something in camp then maybe he'll get some reps too.

Point is, there's so much we can do with this group of skill position players.

We can line up with 4 WR's and run Knowshon out of the spread if we want, or put Graham, Quinn, Scheffler and Marshall in tight and try and pound the ball with Hillis. That's a pretty scary group of guys to be running routes out of play-action from a tight formation too.

If Orton or Simms can catch on to the offense and perform above expectations, the Offense could become very good very quickly.

It really all rests on the QB, and I'm excited to see how things go in September.

Bigdawg26
06-05-2009, 11:26 AM

Actually that was one of the guys Shanny REALLY liked in the draft and the Chargers took him in the second to prevent denver from taking him in the early 3rd round.
<!-- / message -->

JJJ
06-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Where was Jackson in year two and three? Jackson didn't have a breakout year until year four. Marshall hasn't even played year four and he already has two 100 reception seasons.

Jackson finally learned how to catch the ball with his hands and not with his body. Now he can actually use his size. Now he catches the ball like Gates. From now on he will only get better and better.

I would have to agree Marshall is all around a better receiver still.

The dig on Buster Davis above was painful but very funny and accurate. The is an LW at this point. This will be his last year to prove himself.

JJJ
06-05-2009, 01:35 PM
how does Jackson get the nod over Bowe?

and Chambers?

The AFC West isnt really too deep with reciever talent

Jackson doesn't fumble on-side kicks.

They both had the same amount of yards around 1050 give or take 30 and TDs with 7 but Jackson did it with about 30 less catches. Led the league in yards per catch. Definitely more of a big play threat.

Gcver2ver3
06-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Jackson doesn't fumble on-side kicks.

They both had the same amount of yards around 1050 give or take 30 and TDs with 7 but Jackson did it with about 30 less catches. Led the league in yards per catch. Definitely more of a big play threat.

aside from the onside kick...Bowe is better...

VJ was NEVER the focal point of the offense and greatly benefitted in match-up scnearios due to the opposing defenses focusing on LT, Sproles, and Gates...

Tony G was the only other noteworthy player for Bowe...and Bowe had Tyler Thigpen throwing to him versus the top passer in the NFL last year in Rivers...

Jackson is the better deep threat...but he's more of an Alvin Harper (#2 guy) than a Michael Irvin (#1 guy)...

Bob's your Information Minister
06-05-2009, 02:53 PM
I think Jackson is a little overrated. A lot of receivers would look good with Rivers throwing to them. I wonder if Jackson would get 1K with Thigpen and Huard?

cmhargrove
06-05-2009, 04:23 PM

Hey footsteps, I agree with you that Tony is very capable. Over the past couple years, Tony has lined up or motioned out to WR many times. Also, the quick WR/TE screen was something that was occasionally successful.

As an offensive coach, I would rather put Marshall and Gaffney on the outside, with Royal in the slot, and 2 TE's with Graham and Scheff. So many toys. That means Tony is matched up with a LB - it's almost always a mismatch. Tony can do lots of things, I agree.

cmhargrove
06-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I think Jackson is a little overrated. A lot of receivers would look good with Rivers throwing to them. I wonder if Jackson would get 1K with Thigpen and Huard?

Bob,
I thought that if KC was a little more committed to the spread, and their O-line jelled, and they got a true #2 receiver, that Thigpen was going to win some games for the Chiefs. Maybe that was just my imagination.

And, the got rid of Tony G.. Any new quarterback's best friend.

It will be a very interesting division to watch next year.

extralife
06-05-2009, 05:55 PM
i think Marsh and Royal are the two best WRs in the AFC West...

thats my homer pick of the day...

Bowe 3rd and VJ 4th...

This is the correct ranking, yes.

tsiguy96
06-05-2009, 05:56 PM
1. marshall
2. bowe
3/4. jackson/royal
5/6. stokely/chambers

06-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Bob,
I thought that if KC was a little more committed to the spread, and their O-line jelled, and they got a true #2 receiver, that Thigpen was going to win some games for the Chiefs. Maybe that was just my imagination.

And, the got rid of Tony G.. Any new quarterback's best friend.

It will be a very interesting division to watch next year.

Thigpen can't make NFL throws. Not consistently.

Mediator12
06-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Thigpen can't make NFL throws. Not consistently.

Better than Brodie Croyle though :thanku:

boltaneer
06-05-2009, 09:59 PM
So now receivers look better because Rivers is the quarterback? Funny how people's opinions change so fast. Or do opinions change only when it supports your argument?

I can't wait until Chief fans are throwing their savior, Cassel, under the bus by the end of the year.

06-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Better than Brodie Croyle though :thanku:

Only because Croyle can't stay healthy.

But we're talking about a has-been and a never-was so I'm not going to continue.

06-05-2009, 10:43 PM
So now receivers look better because Rivers is the quarterback? Funny how people's opinions change so fast. Or do opinions change only when it supports your argument?

You know my opinion of Rivers changed this year.

Mediator12
06-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Only because Croyle can't stay healthy.

But we're talking about a has-been and a never-was so I'm not going to continue.

Yeah, you are right for once about a has been and never was, but THAT is precisely the reason for the jab. Brodie was your boy, but Cassel will be your man :welcome:

06-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Yeah, you are right for once about a has been and never was, but THAT is precisely the reason for the jab. Brodie was your boy, but Cassel will be your man :welcome:

It was just a fling. I deleted Brodie from my phone. Matty is going to take care of me FOREVER!

Odysseus
06-16-2009, 02:27 PM
When does Royal start packing?