PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo! does a Cutler-Orton fantasy comparision

Sacked by Croel
06-04-2009, 12:26 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_arcade/post/Spin-Doctors-Cutler-vs-Orton?urn=fantasy,167596

Devil's Advocate approach. One guy argues for Orton, the other for Cutler.

The fans vote 73-27 in favor of Cutler.

Los Broncos
06-04-2009, 12:27 PM
I'd take Orton as my back up, that's it.

Man-Goblin
06-04-2009, 12:34 PM
I have a fantasy where Cutler continues to binge drink and alienate the Bears' fan base, and the Bears go 1-15 next year.

Rock Chalk
06-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Id take Cutler in fantasy sure however the guy that wrote Orton gave much better reasons.

And I disagree with the guy that wrote for Cutler that Cutler has better field vision and accuracy and pocket awareness.

We will see how good his pocket awareness is when he is running for his life in Chicago. They did NOT upgrade their o-line. Pace is ancient and has nothing left in the tank.

Still, Id take Cutler for the first few games of the season. Id probably go pick up someone else other than Cutler or Orton after that since Cutler isnt very good after the beginning of the season.

broncofan7
06-04-2009, 12:39 PM
I have serious reservations if Orton can even beat out Simms............And I have reservations as to whether or not Simms or Orton is going tp be the bonafide #1 QB for us--so based on my hunch that we will wind up starting both Qb's at some point this upcoming season--I would take Cutler........

gyldenlove
06-04-2009, 12:42 PM
In fantasy football I would have Cutler as a low ranked starter right now, in a 12 man league I would take him in the 5th round.

Orton is a solid backup guy who can put up good fantasy numbers in the right matchups. I would have him in the 8th-10th round. He will be one of the top backups this year because his level is pretty consistent, so if you have a starter who isn't an every game guy, you can turn to Orton in some weeks.

Liquid Courage
06-04-2009, 01:17 PM
In fantasy football I would have Cutler as a low ranked starter right now, in a 12 man league I would take him in the 5th round.

Orton is a solid backup guy who can put up good fantasy numbers in the right matchups. I would have him in the 8th-10th round. He will be one of the top backups this year because his level is pretty consistent, so if you have a starter who isn't an every game guy, you can turn to Orton in some weeks.

Agreed. Given the tools around them, historical efficiency and gameplan capabilities, the above scenario makes Orton a better value pick IMO.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-04-2009, 01:25 PM
There are some really bad QBs in this league and i believe Orton is a starter. I watched at least 7 or 8 bears games last year and he's really not bad at all...and really had zero offense around him.

Sacked by Croel
06-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Agreed. Given the tools around them, historical efficiency and gameplan capabilities, the above scenario makes Orton a better value pick IMO.

Historical efficiency?

I'm not sure 55.3 career completion percentage and 5.8 yards/attempt qualifies as efficient.

BroncoMan4ever
06-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Id take Cutler in fantasy sure however the guy that wrote Orton gave much better reasons.

And I disagree with the guy that wrote for Cutler that Cutler has better field vision and accuracy and pocket awareness.

We will see how good his pocket awareness is when he is running for his life in Chicago. They did NOT upgrade their o-line. Pace is ancient and has nothing left in the tank.

Still, Id take Cutler for the first few games of the season. Id probably go pick up someone else other than Cutler or Orton after that since Cutler isnt very good after the beginning of the season.

honestly, if i take either Cutler or Orton, i am taking Orton ahead of Cutler. I don't like the lack of weapons, and protection that Jay has in Chicago. he is going to be even more mistake prone. he tossed 18 INTs in Denver last season, that number will increase when he doesn't have adequate receivers bailing him out on bad throws, and mistakes will go up from him not wanting to take sacks or throw the ball away when protection breaks down.

Cutler is going to have a down year in comparison to last season.

Orton on the other hand, was capable of putting up ok numbers and wins in CHicago. McDaniels is going 1 on 1 with him like he did with Cassel. Orton is going to throw for more yards, TDs and less INTs than Jay will this season.

he put up ok numbers wth Chicago's bad line and lack of weapons, now he is behind one of the best lines in the league and has so many weapons at his disposal that it will be hard for him to fail.

Liquid Courage
06-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Historical efficiency?

I'm not sure 55.3 career completion percentage and 5.8 yards/attempt qualifies as efficient.

Sorry, I was referencing the effectiveness in the red zone. I'd generally prefer a QB (Orton) who has performed well inside the 20 versus the less than stellar performance of Cutler. Perhaps my Fantasy Football league places too much emphasis on enabling a team to capitalize on yards gained.

In other words, from a Fantasy perspective, I prefer higher efficiency in getting TD points+Yardage points verus Yardage points (unless I have the kicker) versus Yardage points-INT points.

I believe the dialogue on Red Zone efficiency between these two has been quite thoroughly discussed at this point on the Mane.

telluride
06-04-2009, 01:50 PM
I have a fantasy where Cutler continues to binge drink and alienate the Bears' fan base, and the Bears go 1-15 next year.

I too have that fantasy. In mine he also tosses his teammates under a bus, sulks on the sidelines with his ipod headphones on, and then slips into a diabetic fugue state, awakening only when Bus Cook slips a doublestuff rum-soaked Oreo into his mouth.

But that's just me.

Hogan11
06-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Watch Orton go to the Pro Bowl this season whilst Cutler sits at home.

Sacked by Croel
06-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Sorry, I was referencing the effectiveness in the red zone. I'd generally prefer a QB (Orton) who has performed well inside the 20 versus the less than stellar performance of Cutler. Perhaps my Fantasy Football league places too much emphasis on enabling a team to capitalize on yards gained.

In other words, from a Fantasy perspective, I prefer higher efficiency in getting TD points+Yardage points verus Yardage points (unless I have the kicker) versus Yardage points-INT points.

I believe the dialogue on Red Zone efficiency between these two has been quite thoroughly discussed at this point on the Mane.

Bottom line, Orton has the same career INT percentage as Cutler with far fewer TD passes and yards gained. Fantasy football doesn't distinguish between red zone TD/INTs and TDs/INts between the 20s.

ward63
06-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Fantasy football=Cutler.....Real football=Orton

Just based on everything said. Orton is solid in the the red zone and cutler is trying to throw bullets to everybody

Pseudofool
06-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Orton will be a good sleeper; he won't get tons of yard, but I expect lots of tds and not so many ints.

mr007
06-04-2009, 02:41 PM

I haven't watched Orton play enough to judge his field vision or accuracy. Jay had uncanny accuracy at times, other times he was pretty bad. Of the Quarterbacks I watched last season I would say that Cutler had amazing pocket presence, we'll definitely see how it goes for him in Chi town.

broncofan2438
06-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Watch Orton go to the Pro Bowl this season whilst Cutler sits at home.

Very likely. People are comparing the old Orton, lets see how he does in the new system.

Liquid Courage
06-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Bottom line, Orton has the same career INT percentage as Cutler with far fewer TD passes and yards gained. Fantasy football doesn't distinguish between red zone TD/INTs and TDs/INts between the 20s.

And you are assuming that the all surrounding variables are equal?

Lines are equal. Talent is equal. Time in pocket is equal. Gameplan capability is equal. Scheme is equal. and so on.

Is Cutler more talented? I wounldn't disagree. Is Cutler a better play given the round/upside than Orton in Fantasy Football? I don't think so but will be damn impressed if he proves me wrong.