PDA

View Full Version : My Dad

Houshyamama
06-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Not that any of you know him but I found out this morning my dad has colon cancer. He has 5 season tickets and he's not even a football fan... he just has them so we all have a reason to come back to Colorado and get together. He's always seemed indestructible so it's quite a wake up call for this to happen, not even a history of cancer in my family. Don't forget to cherish the people who are closest to you because you NEVER know when something like this will happen. Carry on with your Wednesdays :thumbsup:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Sorry to hear that man. I lost my father when I was 20, so I know all too well the shock of learning he's mortal.

Good luck to him.

Spider
06-03-2009, 04:13 PM
sorry .........

HooptyHoops
06-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Sorry man, spend as much time with him as you can. I just lost my Dad about two weeks ago(he had post-polio).

loborugger
06-03-2009, 04:38 PM
All the best. Let us know how it goes.

Hogan11
06-03-2009, 04:43 PM
So sorry to hear this, My thoughts go out to you and yours.

Broncos123
06-03-2009, 04:43 PM
So sorry. Hopefully they caught it in time. Just lost a brother to cancer. It can be rough but there are success stories out there. Pray for the best.

Houshyamama
06-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks guys, just wanted to remind everyone to not take their loved ones for granted. Thanks again

lookin' glass
06-03-2009, 05:08 PM
We're pulling for him here. Good luck.

Majik
06-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Sorry to hear that man. My dad's turning 50 this year and it sucks to think he's probably lived over half his life already. Really hits home.

bronco610
06-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Prayers and Best Wishes to him and your family.

Los Broncos
06-03-2009, 07:04 PM
My grandfather had the same, it was a real tough thing.

He had season tickets to the Rams and the Chargers, those were some good times.

FantomForce
06-03-2009, 07:47 PM
May God bless

garandman
06-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Prayers are with you man

ol number 7
06-03-2009, 09:00 PM
My grandfather had the same, it was a real tough thing.

He had season tickets to the Rams and the Chargers, those were some good times.

My dad had the same fifteen years ago. He helped me work on my car last week. Tough old bird my pop. Don't give up hope.:strong:

DeusExManning
06-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Not that any of you know him but I found out this morning my dad has colon cancer. He has 5 season tickets and he's not even a football fan... he just has them so we all have a reason to come back to Colorado and get together. He's always seemed indestructible so it's quite a wake up call for this to happen, not even a history of cancer in my family. Don't forget to cherish the people who are closest to you because you NEVER know when something like this will happen. Carry on with your Wednesdays :thumbsup:

My mother died of colon cancer. If you get to it early enough it is easy to fix. My prayers are with your father and your family.

BABronco
06-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Sry to hear that news.

Also, sorry for your loss hooptyhoops.

Houshyamama
06-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it

SouthStndJunkie
06-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Best of luck....enjoy every second you have with your parents.

BFDD
06-04-2009, 12:08 AM
I just lost my Dad a couple of months ago to prostate cancer.

If you haven't told your old man that you love him this week. Give him a ring. If you haven't had a beer with your dad this year. Go buy a 6 pack. If you haven't gone golfing with your pops. Book a T-time. If you haven't seen a ball game with your father. For the love of god, buy some Broncos tickets and enjoy him while he is still around.

Thanks Dad!
http://www.phoeniciandrunks.com/Jpeg/Randomstuff/dad%20and%20i.jpg

SoCalBronco
06-04-2009, 12:42 AM
This is really terrible news. My prayers are with you and your dad. Very sorry to hear this.

:(

TailgateNut
06-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks guys, just wanted to remind everyone to not take their loved ones for granted. Thanks again

My heartfelt wishes go out to you and your family.

Los Broncos
06-04-2009, 09:31 AM
My dad had the same fifteen years ago. He helped me work on my car last week. Tough old bird my pop. Don't give up hope.:strong:

Good to hear, I never knew my father really.

My grandfather raised me even after he raised his own kids.

It was hard for him me being so young.

I owe everything to him...

Sassy
06-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Thoughts and prayers...

Cutler4Life
06-04-2009, 11:01 AM
All good thoughts your way to you and your family.

bronclvr
06-04-2009, 11:14 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your Dad's problem. In researching it a bit, it looks like (if caught at Stage 1) that the five Year survival rate is approaching 65% (pretty good, depending on where it is)-hope that's the group your Dad falls-

Here's a little info (and I'm sure you've looked yourself, but I hope this helps)-

http://coloncancer.about.com/od/stagesandsurvivalrate1/a/ColonCancerSurv.htm

I don't know your Dad's physical state, but here's something to consider:

http://coloncancer.about.com/od/stagesandsurvivalrate1/a/Exercise.htm

and here:

http://coloncancer.about.com/od/coloncancer/u/Coping.htm

Good luck, spend as much time as you can with him, and keep your chin up!

DenverBrit
06-04-2009, 12:14 PM
So sorry to hear your news. Here's hoping for a good prognosis.

Requiem
06-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Saddened to hear this. Prayers comin' your way bro.

watermock
06-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Cancer.

Colon Cancer.

That's a tough draw.

God be with You.

eddie mac
06-05-2009, 05:42 AM
Really sorry Housh. My thoughts are with you and your family.

broncobum6162
06-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Enjoy EVERY moment w/ your Dad. Mine lived until 91 yrs old and he really went downhill the last 6 months of his life. He basically died of old age as everything wore out. He died in his bed and in his sleep, something we all hope to do. I even got to say goodbye to him and that I loved him as I was leaving for vacation while he died. I have no regrets in that I spent as much time as possible the last 10-15 years of his life with him. The last few months I was with him constantly. I miss him greatly and I can't write this without getting emotional myself. Losing my Dad made me realize how mortal we really are. Cherish every moment and take plenty of videos and pics of you and him together. It will get you through the tough times.

No1BroncoFan
06-10-2009, 12:52 AM
I'm very lucky that I have always been close with my parents (except for the typical teenage BS every kid goes through). I lost mom to cancer three years ago this August. I'll second your call to cherish those close to you, no matter how much they can piss you off sometimes. You never know when this time will be the last time you get to see them and there's nothing worse than regrets you can never resolve. Ben

chaz
06-13-2009, 11:21 AM
best of luck housh, I hope they caught it eary. Colon cancer runs in my family but has been survived by my mom, and two grandparents. It's beatable so keep the faith.

Houshyamama
06-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the prayers and good wishes all. I flew up here to CO to be with him for the surgery (Wednesday). They took out about a foot of colon where he had a signet ring cell carcinoma. We should get the pathology report back today from the surgery which will tell us if it has started to spread through the lymph system. Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it.