PDA

View Full Version : Is now the time to purchase a 2009 vehicle

robbieopperude
06-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Yay or Nay?

Car makers are in trouble. Will vehicle values tumble on 2009 or 2010 even more? Let me know what you think because I am thinking of purchasing a SUV soon.

Thanks.

telluride
06-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Yep. The incentives on all cars are pretty great right now. I sent this link around before, but I used this to shop for my new car:

http://motormouths.com/

Here are the best-reviewed SUVs:

http://motormouths.com/styles/6-suv-truck

That Hyundai is supposed to be great -- and inexpensive.

SJ Bronco
06-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Incentives are great cause they want to unload inventory, but I think if you wait till the 2011's roll out, you might get a better car with better emissions standards and MUCH better mileage. even if it's the same line your considering now. The 2011 GM's look promising.

Ratboy
06-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Get a used car. I don't think I will ever by a new car anymore, it's a waste of money.

Archer81
06-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Incentives are great cause they want to unload inventory, but I think if you wait till the 2011's roll out, you might get a better car with better emissions standards and MUCH better mileage. even if it's the same line your considering now. The 2011 GM's look promising.

With those great new standards comes lighter cars and a higher pricetag.

:Broncos:

SouthStndJunkie
06-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Brand new vehicles are a rip off.

Ratboy
06-01-2009, 10:56 PM
I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla, I wish I never bought it. I cannot drive it (I am in Japan, car is in Florida) and I'm stuck paying the payments/insurance. I owe a hefty amount still, but I am just going to pay it off before the year is over with.

I plan on selling it after I pay it off, but who knows, I may keep it and start my savings fund from scratch again.

Ratboy
06-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Brand new vehicles are a rip off.

:thumbs:

They are. I learned from my mistake, I don't think I will EVER buy a new car again, It's just a bad investment.

Get a used car and call it a day.

I am becoming less materialistic, there is just no need for a overpriced car.

Meck77
06-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Get a used car. I don't think I will ever by a new car anymore, it's a waste of money.

This recession is already paying dividends.

SouthStndJunkie
06-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Let someone else pay for the first few years and break it in....and then swoop in and get a great deal when they can't afford it.

SouthStndJunkie
06-01-2009, 11:03 PM
I am still driving my 1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5.

It stickered at about $40,000 new....I bought it used for $17,000 several years back when it had 65,000 miles on it....and now in 2009 it has almost 150,000 miles on it, no rust at all, looks and runs great....and it has been paid off for a few years.

You take good care of a vehicle and it will take care of you.

TDmvp
06-01-2009, 11:11 PM
/agree with all the "Buy Used" talk ....

Just been through this ... New Vette 55+k , one year old Vette with 12k miles on it and looks like new ... even still smells new ... 34k cash ...

Trust me you don't even notice it's a year old when you drive it with that extra 20k in your pocket...

Meck77
06-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Everybody loves to blame someone else for the economy but this thread is a perfect example of what happened. Rtribbey you are certainly not alone. Tens of millions of people bought things they couldn't afford. Our economy simply wasn't sustainable and this recession as painful as it is will be healthy in the long run. Several generations have been humbled at once. Hopefully it lasts.

Cut those credit cards up, fix that used car, refinance those mortgages while you still can. Rates won't stay this low for long.

Spider
06-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Is now the time? I would wait until morning , but thats just me

Ratboy
06-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Everybody loves to blame someone else for the economy but this thread is a perfect example of what happened. Rtribbey you are certainly not alone. Tens of millions of people bought things they couldn't afford. Our economy simply wasn't sustainable and this recession as painful as it is will be healthy in the long run. Several generations have been humbled at once. Hopefully it lasts.

Cut those credit cards up, fix that used car, refinance those mortgages while you still can. Rates won't stay this low for long.

Meck, I can afford the car, I probably could afford another car and still have spending money. However, I am paying for a car I do not drive, thus making the financial side of it, ****ty.

I will pay it off with my savings account in a few months, and then try to sell. I've tried selling it in the past, but buyers are weary about trying to buy a car when the finance company won't release the title till it is paid off.

I am in Japan for 2 more years, and who knows where I will be after that.

Meck77
06-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Meck, I can afford the car, I probably could afford another car and still have spending money. However, I am paying for a car I do not drive, thus making the financial side of it, ****ty.

I will pay it off with my savings account in a few months, and then try to sell. I've tried selling it in the past, but buyers are weary about trying to buy a car when the finance company won't release the title till it is paid off.

I am in Japan for 2 more years, and who knows where I will be after that.

I hear you dude. I certainly wasn't trying to single you out. I was trying to make a broader point.

Every purchase and every dollar spent has an opportunity cost. That dollar can either go to fighting interest on a car payment or that dollar can go towards a mortgage, an education, some tools for a business etc. It could even go towards the ability to "afford" season tickets. :thumbsup:

Like I said earlier I really believe there is a huge benefit to this recession that is unrealized. Each and everyone of us has learned something from it that will make this country stronger.

cutthemdown
06-02-2009, 12:02 AM
:thumbs:

They are. I learned from my mistake, I don't think I will EVER buy a new car again, It's just a bad investment.

Get a used car and call it a day.

I am becoming less materialistic, there is just no need for a overpriced car.

I do like buying my cars used, but with less then 20 thousand miles. Like a yr old etc. It avoids that first big depreciation and you still get a good car and a warranty. Then I like use car for 10 yrs. By doing that, using cars for 10 yrs, you can save a lot of money for other things.

Anaximines
06-02-2009, 12:56 AM

2015 is the perfect time to buy a 2009 vehicle

Dudeskey
06-02-2009, 01:05 AM

Agreed...