PDA

View Full Version : Adios, Clint Hurdle!

DomCasual
05-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Ding dong the witch is dead.

Nice guy. But it was long past time.

I hope Jim Tracy is a temporary solution, to get them through the rest of the season.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12477955

Clint Hurdle's seven-year run as the Rockies' manager will end today, according to a major-league source. With an off day to discuss the situation, the Rockies are poised to make a change given that their poor start has begun to affect attendance and fan interest.

The team has scheduled a 2:30 p.m. news conference to announce the change. Bench coach Jim Tracy will be promoted to interim manager.

The Dodgers broomed the Rockies at Coors Field Wednesday, outscoring them 31-13 in the series and sending them a season-high 10 games under .500. The ugly losses every game featured a big inning from the Dodgers intensified speculation that Hurdle might be let go. While blaming themselves for the poor performance, multiple players said they expected a move. That talk was based on the team's home (7-13) and overall record (18-28).

Hurdle has been the Rockies' manager since 2002, when he took over for Buddy Bell three weeks into the season.

Tracy was named the bench coach this past offseason after two seasons in Pittsburgh as the manager and five seasons in Los Angeles.

Hotrod
05-29-2009, 12:49 PM
damn it

Hotrod
05-29-2009, 12:51 PM
I liked the man but he managed a pitching staff about as well as McD manages Pro-bowl QB's

Look how fast I got a shot in at McD Ha!

TheManeMan
05-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Bring in Shanny

theAPAOps5
05-29-2009, 12:52 PM
When can the Monforts get fired. They are the real problem. But Clint sucked ass too.

BroncoLifer
05-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Please, please, please let O'Dowd be next.

DHallblows
05-29-2009, 12:57 PM
When can the Monforts get fired. They are the real problem. But Clint sucked ass too.

SERIOUSLY.

DomCasual
05-29-2009, 12:57 PM

Yep. They can't afford to play the game, so they should do the city a favor and sell to someone who can.

WABronco
05-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Hahaha Jim Tracy will bring the fire.

Fedaykin
05-29-2009, 01:10 PM

Rohirrim
05-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Like everybody in this town knows, until the Monforts go, the Rockies are going nowhere.

DomCasual
05-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Hahaha Jim Tracy will bring the fire.

This season is lost, anyway. I would be pretty unhappy if he was anything but a temporary solution.

Hurdle had overstayed his welcome. He was trying things this season that showed desperation, and the players didn't respect him. From that perspective, Jim Tracy serves the purpose as well as anyone.

Hotrod
05-29-2009, 01:37 PM
This season is lost, anyway. I would be pretty unhappy if he was anything but a temporary solution.

Hurdle had overstayed his welcome. He was trying things this season that showed desperation, and the players didn't respect him. From that perspective, Jim Tracy serves the purpose as well as anyone.

Agree but now is a great time to get some kids some ABs and time in the field. Write off the season and get a real look at what we have to work with going forward.

Hercules Rockefeller
05-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Yep. They can't afford to play the game, so they should do the city a favor and sell to someone who can.

Kroenke, who has tried to buy a controlling stake from them in the past.

DomCasual
05-29-2009, 01:55 PM

Yeah, but the Monforts said a couple years ago that they think the Rockies can be a great legacy - one that they can pass on to their kids.

So, as a die hard Rox fan, I can at least take some solace in the fact that my pain is contributing to the Monfort family hobby.

Hotrod
05-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah, but the Monforts said a couple years ago that they think the Rockies can be a great legacy - one that they can pass on to their kids.

So, as a die hard Rox fan, I can at least take some solace in the fact that my pain is contributing to the Monfort family hobby.

LMMFAO

Tombstone RJ
05-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Clint seemed like an intelligent guy and he did get the team to the WS, so kudos for that. But, the team has been miserable since their WS appearance, and what ever magic the team had to get them to the WS has evaporated quickly...

Wonder who's gonna be next?

Hogan11
05-29-2009, 03:04 PM

Give it a month or two and they won't respect Tracy either.....one of the most disengaged and disinterested managers I've ever seen in my life :nono:

Jens1893
05-29-2009, 03:07 PM

I think Silent stan prefers spending his money in London nowadays.

SureShot
05-29-2009, 03:09 PM

Everyone needs to quit giving the Rockies their money.

Punisher
05-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Bring in Shanny

LMAO!

Jori
05-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Apocrapa is still here...

spdirty
05-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Everyone needs to quit giving the Rockies their money.

ding ding ding. Once they traded Holiday, the boycott was back on for me. Wish the die hards would quit going to games. Once they realize they are part of the problem, hopefully the problem will sell soon and we can get a real owner who puts winning a championship at the top of his goals for this team.

Dudeskey
05-29-2009, 10:08 PM

Agreed...

Jori
05-30-2009, 12:06 AM
ding ding ding. Once they traded Holiday, the boycott was back on for me. Wish the die hards would quit going to games. Once they realize they are part of the problem, hopefully the problem will sell soon and we can get a real owner who puts winning a championship at the top of his goals for this team.

I'm on a boycott since 2003.

slyinky
06-10-2009, 08:48 PM
The Rockies have now won 7 in a row, all on the road. They are actually +11 in runs scored differential and are only 5 games back of the wild card with a long way to go.

Karenin
06-11-2009, 07:30 AM
Agreed...

You can't fire the owners of a team. Why can't people understand that, it's not that difficult.

slyinky
06-11-2009, 10:11 AM
You can't fire the owners of a team. Why can't people understand that, it's not that difficult.
Yeah, riiiight? I mean c'mon guys. If you're saying something like that you better say it in jest, you know? Oh, wait. Maybe you didn't mean it literally. Perhaps you were being facetious? Hmmm.

Sacked by Croel
06-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Give the Monforts credit this week though. The Rockies drafted Tyler Matzek, arguably the best prep pitcher in the draft who was passed over by many teams because of rumblings that he wanted a signing bonus in excess of $7 million.

Matzek has made strong indications he wants to attend Oregon (to play both first base and pitch) and it didn't scare off the Rockies.

If they seal the deal, this is a sign the Rockies may be changing their tune a little bit. Three years ago, the Rockies drafted some scrub college pitcher with no projection (Greg Reynolds) over Evan Longoria and Tim Lincecum because they were being cheap.

DomCasual
06-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Give the Monforts credit this week though. The Rockies drafted Tyler Matzek, arguably the best prep pitcher in the draft who was passed over by many teams because of rumblings that he wanted a signing bonus in excess of $7 million.

Matzek has made strong indications he wants to attend Oregon (to play both first base and pitch) and it didn't scare off the Rockies.

If they seal the deal, this is a sign the Rockies may be changing their tune a little bit. Three years ago, the Rockies drafted some scrub college pitcher with no projection (Greg Reynolds) over Evan Longoria and Tim Lincecum because they were being cheap.

Yeah. That was a shocking pick. I am still kind of expecting them to blow it, though. It would be totally like them to say, "We made him a fair offer, and he didn't take it" - after the kid, his agent, and his family made it pretty clear before the draft what they were looking for ($7 million signing bonus). Their demands are too high, IMO. But the most the Rockies have ever given to a 1st Round pick was less than $3 million. They're going to have to be over $5 million with this one. They did offer Harrington almost $5 million, but there were lots of conditions to it.

But I liked the top of their draft a lot. If they get most of them signed - including the top three picks - then I think it could be a home run.

I am going back to avoiding Rockies threads now. Karma.

TheChamp24
06-11-2009, 05:28 PM
I never liked the Holliday trade, but understand why it was made. Holliday is a good hitter, but not worth the contract he would demand on the open market IMO.
The value received for Holliday was piss poor in my standards. Oh well though.

And I still remember that horrible selection of Reynolds. #2 pick in the draft for some guy in college who didn't have much potential, passing on Longoria, Lincecum, Scherzer, Morrow, Miller, Kershaw. Geez.

WABronco
06-11-2009, 06:14 PM
I told you guys Jim Tracy would bring the fire!

Karenin
06-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Yeah, riiiight? I mean c'mon guys. If you're saying something like that you better say it in jest, you know? Oh, wait. Maybe you didn't mean it literally. Perhaps you were being facetious? Hmmm.

You need to look up the meanings of the following words:

jest
literally
facetious

Go ahead, take your time.