PDA

View Full Version : mcdaniels/scheffler comments...

tsiguy96
05-28-2009, 07:32 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/46415232.html

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - Tony Scheffler has no beef with Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and insists he's on board even after the team traded his good buddy, Jay Cutler.

Any friction that might have existed dissipated after a recent chat with his head coach.

Scheffler and McDaniels sat down to discuss the tight end's role with the team. The conversation was cathartic.

"Everything's fine," Scheffler said Thursday after the third day of passing camp. "It's not about me. It's not about any individual on this team right now. We're really focused on the team and moving forward. I think we're doing a lot of good things."

There were rumors swirling in the offseason that Denver was shopping Scheffler, not sure how he would fit into the new, intricate offense McDaniels was implementing. The meeting with McDaniels staunched those.

As for frayed feelings, there are none.

"Water off a duck's back move forward and move to the next day," said Scheffler, who caught 40 passes for 645 yards and three touchdowns last season. "You can't really have hurt feelings in this league or else you'll get left behind in a hurry."

These days, McDaniels is envisioning a big role for his reliable receiving tight end, who's looks slimmer and sleeker.

"Tony's a very, very highly skilled player," McDaniels said. "He can do a lot of things. He can run, he can catch, he can block. We're going to take advantage of every skill that he has. He's made a good impression on our team here."

McDaniels admits he's never coached a tight end quite like Scheffler, one with the ability to stretch the field with a combination of speed and athleticism.

"Tony is probably the most skilled pass-receiving tight end that I've had an opportunity to be around," McDaniels said. "That's a weapon for us that we can move around on the field. We're going to try to feature him in that role."

If Scheffler can just stay healthy. That's been the knock on Scheffler, who missed three games with a groin injury last season and was bothered by a broken foot before the 2007 season.

"The whole hurt label is kind of overrated with me," he said. "I've only missed four games in three years, if you really look at it. It's frustrating, don't get me wrong, but at the same time it's something you've got to battle through and learn from. I think I've done that. It makes you really appreciate being on the field and being out there with the guys."

Scheffler and Cutler formed quite the connection after the two were taken in the same draft class. Scheffler was a frequent target for the strong-armed quarterback when Cutler found himself in a jam.

However, that came to a halt when Cutler was traded to the Bears in the offseason after deciding he didn't want to play for McDaniels.

Scheffler and Cutler remain close, frequently texting and talking.

"I'm sure Jay is going to have a lot of success, a ton of success, in Chicago," Scheffler said.

McDaniels understands the loyalty.

"I'm sure there were quite a few players that had relationships with Jay," McDaniels said. "But they've done a great job of saying, 'You know what? This is our team now, these are our quarterbacks.'"

Those quarterbacks would be Chris Simms and Kyle Orton, who are in a hotly contested tussle to land Cutler's spot. McDaniels prefers to wait and see who gains the upper hand through minicamps.

"I think the (players) have embraced both Chris and I," said Orton, who was acquired as part of the Cutler deal. "We've come in here, worked hard and pretty much kept our mouths shut and tried to improve every day."

So far, Scheffler likes what he sees from both of them.

"We've got two pretty darn good quarterbacks," he said.

Scheffler's unsure what his precise role will be, only that he's hoping to find himself locked up in coverage by a linebacker.

"Those are the matchups I've got to win," Scheffler said. "There's a lot of weapons on the field, so when your number is called you've got to step up and make a play or else you don't know when the next one's going to come."

TonyR
05-28-2009, 07:43 PM
"You can't really have hurt feelings in this league or else you'll get left behind in a hurry."

He should Twitter that to his buddy Jay...

Gcver2ver3
05-28-2009, 08:27 PM
good read...

thanks...

GreatBronco16
05-28-2009, 08:41 PM
McDummy will end up trading him for a 5th and then turn around and trade our 1st for another long snapper.

STFU!!

And this stuff about raw hide and feeding pigs. Man I need a new tractor.

bpc
05-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Awesome. Good luck Tony, Josh and Jay. I hope they all have success.

HAT
05-28-2009, 08:59 PM
A sure sign that Hillis & Scheff will be gone by August.....I heard on the light rail McD tilted his head the wrong way when he was quoted....And he may have cut his eyes to the left also. OH NOES!!!!

GreatBronco16
05-28-2009, 09:00 PM
OMG, tell me he didn't cut his eyes to the left. NOT THE Fing LEFT!!!

footstepsfrom#27
05-28-2009, 09:06 PM
These days, McDaniels is envisioning a big role for his reliable receiving tight end, who's looks slimmer and sleeker.
McDaniels admits he's never coached a tight end quite like Scheffler, one with the ability to stretch the field with a combination of speed and athleticism.

"Tony is probably the most skilled pass-receiving tight end that I've had an opportunity to be around," McDaniels said. "That's a weapon for us that we can move around on the field. We're going to try to feature him in that role."
I have a feeling he's going to wind up at WR by the end of the year, or at least playing there about half the time. I don't see any other way to get 3 TE's playing time, and he's the only one who can swing out wide.

A red zone offense with 6'5" and 6'4" receivers and Royal in the slot is interesting to say the least.

lex
05-28-2009, 09:45 PM
"You can't really have hurt feelings in this league or else you'll get left behind in a hurry."

He should Twitter that to his buddy Jay...

Actually, Jay can. In case you werent aware, Chicago was one of the two teams he wanted to go to.

Kaylore
05-28-2009, 10:14 PM
A sure sign that Hillis & Scheff will be gone by August.....I heard on the light rail McD tilted his head the wrong way when he was quoted....And he may have cut his eyes to the left also. OH NOES!!!!

Hilarious!

BroncoMan4ever
05-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I have a feeling he's going to wind up at WR by the end of the year, or at least playing there about half the time. I don't see any other way to get 3 TE's playing time, and he's the only one who can swing out wide.

A red zone offense with 6'5" and 6'4" receivers and Royal in the slot is interesting to say the least.

i'd love that offense.

we have so many weapons it almost isn't fair. we may be fielding an offense with as many as 9 legit receiving options(WRs, TEs and RBs) with as many as 5 of them on the field at once.

we could very well field an offense that has too many weapons to be stopped.

Hulamau
05-28-2009, 10:25 PM

And a red zone line up with Marshall, Scheff, Moreno. Hillis and Royal ....

or Marshall, Scheff, Moreno, Royal & Stokley/Gaffney ...

or the power formation of Graham, Quinn, Scheff/Marshall, Moreno & Hillis

Lots of fun weapons this year!

ZONA
05-29-2009, 02:09 AM
McDummy will end up trading him for a 5th and then turn around and trade our 1st for another long snapper.

http://net4baby.com/baby/images/stories/main/crying_baby.jpg

GreatBronco16
05-29-2009, 02:36 AM
Zona, that one flew over you head it appears. The rest of my post should have clued you in.

backup qb
05-29-2009, 03:57 AM
Good to hear. Hope they both mean it.

broncswin
05-29-2009, 06:59 AM
Actually, Jay can. In case you werent aware, Chicago was one of the two teams he wanted to go to.

LMAO!! Only Lex

Garcia Bronco
05-29-2009, 07:25 AM
"Everything's fine," Scheffler said Thursday after the third day of passing camp. "It's not about me. It's not about any individual on this team right now. We're really focused on the team and moving forward. I think we're doing a lot of good things."

It's unfortunate his old buddy just didn't seem to get it. TS > JC

fdf
05-29-2009, 07:34 AM

Did you notice the rhythmic blinking? A SURE sign.

kamakazi_kal
05-29-2009, 07:53 AM

It's unfortunate his old buddy just didn't seem to get it. TS > JC

What do you expect him to say? "I'm losing my place in the offense and this team sucks"

Dude wants to keep his job. He, unlike Cutler has no leverage to get traded where he wants.

I can't wait for the fluff to go away .... Their really won't be any awnsers until the first preseason game.

HILife
05-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Scheffler and Cutler remain close, frequently texting and talking.

TRAITOR!!

HILife
05-29-2009, 08:14 AM

weeerrreee dooooooommmed!!! DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!1111 1!!!!11111!!!!!

Hogan11
05-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Like everything else these days....."we'll see"

El Guapo
05-29-2009, 10:40 AM
OMG, tell me he didn't cut his eyes to the left. NOT THE Fing LEFT!!!

I think I'm being made fun of here for some comments I made during the jay debacle, or am I being too arrogant? :~ohyah!: Anyway, I was correct. Body language tells it all, there's no controlling it. ;)

Garcia Bronco
05-29-2009, 11:28 AM
What do you expect him to say? "I'm losing my place in the offense and this team sucks"

Dude wants to keep his job. He, unlike Cutler has no leverage to get traded where he wants.

I can't wait for the fluff to go away .... Their really won't be any awnsers until the first preseason game.

He could say nothing. Unlike Jay Cutler, who turned his back on his teammates.

summerdenver
05-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Unlike Jay Cutler, who turned his back on his teammates.

I am just curious doesn't the support thing go both ways? How many of Jay's team mates offered a single word of support to him in the first few weeks of news breaking out when media was portraying him as the 'anit-team' primadonna/crybaby?

Garcia Bronco
05-29-2009, 01:25 PM
I am just curious doesn't the support thing go both ways? How many of Jay's team mates offered a single word of support to him in the first few weeks of news breaking out when media was portraying him as the 'anit-team' primadonna/crybaby?

How many didn't? The answer is zero. Not one player came out for or against it. Jay lied along with his agent every step of the way. It was evident to everyone whether they believe it or not.

cmhargrove
05-29-2009, 01:43 PM

In the end, each one of us can only be responsible for ourselves.

Jay made his own decisions, his actions are his own, regardless of what others did. It's a little thing I like to teach my kids called "personal responsibility."

NYBronco
05-29-2009, 01:59 PM

Of course he wants to keep his job otherwise he wouldn't be here competing for an opening... whatever that role may be.

The "fluff" is in every level of each organization and most players. No surprise here. McDaniels even knows how to talk the "fluff". Gotta keep the players motivated and competing.

Archer81
05-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Sheffler has a WR average. If they think he will do better there, then why not? Its possible we have Marshall and Sheffler outside with Stokely, Royal and Gaffney fighting it out for the slot. Also, might help Sheffler stay on the field if he is not getting beat up every play by linebackers.

:Broncos:

elsid13
05-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Sheffler has a WR average. If they think he will do better there, then why not? Its possible we have Marshall and Sheffler outside with Stokely, Royal and Gaffney fighting it out for the slot. Also, might help Sheffler stay on the field if he is not getting beat up every play by linebackers.

:Broncos:

Scheffer isn't going to be a WR, he is a TE and will remain one. I see him working into similar role as Dallas Clark does in Indy, with more time in close to the line for blocking. He has the ability to create mismatches if he is used properly with both Graham and Quinn.

What really bother me, is that McDaniels said he watched all the game tapes but appears couldn't understand what he had on the team. I think that he didn't appreciate the offense talent that was on hand until he actually had a chance to see it in person during the mini-camps. I wonder what would have happened if he had minicamp before he took that Cassel call.

TonyR
06-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Didn't see this posted...

Scheffler on board with Broncos' plan
By Jim Armstrong
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/01/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 06/01/2009 01:33:21 AM MDT

NFL minicamps are more miniature for some players than others. Tony Scheffler, for instance. When it comes to minicamps, he has done more watching than participating.

Scheffler is spending the bulk of the Broncos' current minicamp running routes, lifting weights and fitting into new coach Josh McDaniels' offense. Last year, he spent May and June hobbling around Dove Valley in a walking boot after aggravating the broken left foot he sustained . . . you got it, in a minicamp.

"I actually made it through the first day with flying colors," Scheffler said. "That was a pleasant surprise. But it feels good to be healthy. Everything feels real good. It's good just to be able to focus on learning the offense and jell with some new teammates. It's a lot more fun being on the field than in the training room."

Scheffler is in a good place mentally, too, which took some time after McDaniels' infamous spat with Scheffler's best friend on the team, quarterback Jay Cutler. Once Cutler was traded away, there was no small amount of speculation that Scheffler would follow.

They were easy dots to connect. First, there was the Scheffler-Cutler relationship. Then came word Scheffler was skipping some of the Broncos' offseason conditioning program to work out with Nuggets strength-and-conditioning coach Steve Hess.

Wait, there was more to the subplot. McDaniels was a Bill Belichick disciple. Two other former Belichick aides, Browns coach Eric Mangini and Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, arrived in their new cities and promptly traded away their big-name tight ends, Kellen Winslow Jr. and Tony Gonzalez, respectively.

Scheffler's name was out there too. But here it is, less than two months from training camp, and he hasn't gone anywhere except to McDaniels' office for a sit-down heart-to-heart. What did he need to hear from his new coach?

"I didn't need to hear anything," Scheffler said. "This is the NFL. You can't have feelings. You kind of have to have water off a duck's back. You can't have hurt feelings or you'll get left behind in a hurry. You've got to move forward to the next day."

Said McDaniels: "I'm sure there were quite a few players who had relationships with Jay, and they've done a great job of saying, 'You know what? This is our team now, and these are our quarterbacks.' He's working his butt off to get better with each one of them. He's making a good impression on them, and I hope they're making a good impression on him."

If new quarterbacks Kyle Orton and Chris Simms don't make a big impact, it won't be because they didn't have a tight end who could stretch a defense. Three years into his career, Scheffler has proved he's one of the best big-play tight ends in the business.

"Tony is probably the most skilled pass-receiving tight end I've had an opportunity to be around," McDaniels said. "That's a weapon for us. We can move him around on the field, do different things with him. He can stretch the field at the third level, the second level, and he can take the short underneath level and turn it into a long gain."

Scheffler caught 40 balls for three touchdowns in 2008. Now for the stat that jumps off the page: 16.1 yards per catch. How many other NFL tight ends who played an appreciable amount of time matched that figure? That would be none.

In the ultimate copycat league, Scheffler has emerged as a genuinely unique player. Unlike rank-and-file tight ends throughout the league, he isn't a go-to guy on third down. He didn't even make the fine print on the list of the NFL's leading receivers on third down. It's first and second down when he does his damage, often well down the field.
He's a weapon, all right, and, ironic as it may seem given Cutler's departure, he may be used more extensively in McDan-iels' offense than he was in Mike Shanahan's. The prospect of a fresh start in a new offense, combined with a healthy left foot, has Scheffler excited about the 2009 season.

"We've got a good thing going right now," Scheffler said. "We've got great team chemistry. We're just looking forward to getting this offense installed and having fun with it. When your number is called, you've got to step up and make a play.

"This is the NFL. There are a lot of weapons on the field. You're hoping to get thrown in the mix. Hopefully, I'll get thrown into man(-to-man) coverage situations against a linebacker or safety. Those are the matchups I have to win."

Jim Armstrong: 303-954-1269 or jmarmstrong@denverpost.com

Big-play man
The Broncos' Tony Scheffler ranked 19th among NFL tight ends with 40 receptions in 2008. But he averaged 16.1 yards per catch. A look at what the top 10 receiving tight ends (based on receptions) averaged per catch:

Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City 11.0
Chris Cooley, Washington 10.2
Jason Witten, Dallas 11.8
Dallas Clark, Indianapolis 11.0
Owen Daniels, Houston 12.3
Antonio Gates, San Diego 11.7
Bo Scaife, Tennessee 9.7
Zach Miller, Oakland 13.9
John Carlson, Seattle 11.4
Greg Olsen, Chicago 10.6

Jim Armstrong, The Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12491831

BroncoBuff
06-01-2009, 04:58 PM
"The whole hurt label is kind of overrated with me," he said. "I've only missed four games in three years, if you really look at it."

Didn't realize that. Four in three years ... not bad.

lex
06-02-2009, 10:49 AM
LMAO!! Only Lex

Its the truth. They could have told him, he wasnt going anywhere and then fined him if he didnt show up to the required workouts. In the end, they caved and traded him...and not just traded him to anyone, but his favorite team...all because he didnt want to play for McDaniels.

Its pretty indisputable that he didnt want to play for McDaniels and the Broncos gave him what he wanted. Now everyone is trying to spin it like Jay was somehow on the losing end of this because its the best way for them to cope with the fact that McDaniels/Bowlen is here and Jay is not.

summerdenver
06-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Jay lied along with his agent every step of the way. It was evident to everyone whether they believe it or not.

That depends on basically whose version you beleive. No one other than the primary parties involved knows what exactly happenned and we won;t go anywhere arguing about this. I personally would wait for someone luike Jay Glazer or Adam break the story during the season as to what exactly happenned.

If the team mates don't say word to support Jay they can't play the 'he betrayed us card isn't it? They can't have it both ways can they?. You are just letting your hatred for jay cloud your judgement here.