PDA

View Full Version : DJ talks Defense ... and so does Renaldo

Hulamau
05-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Here's a good clip of DJ today talking about his new 'Jack-Back' position and how much he loves it and this new Attacking Swarming' defense we're gonna be playing. Checkout Renaldo Hills clip as well.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609

He said the whole defense, including all the new guys who inherent this FUBAR from last year when they had nothing to do with it are wearing big chips on their shoulders already and fixing to set the record straight.

He also taking about how badly the injuries set things back for the D last year when lost people didn't realize how bad some of them were hurt.Plus some guys missing assignments and screwing things up.

Anaximines
05-27-2009, 03:42 PM
good video

Hulamau
05-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Expect No Less
by Gray Caldwell

Renaldo Hill spoke with the media after practice today, and he talked a little about how the team is coming together already this offseason.

It’s a tough undertaking to step into a locker room filled with a lot of new names, but everyone is bonding and getting to know one another quickly.

“That’s big about the offseason, because we’re pretty much around each other all day every day,” he said. “It gives us a chance to get to know one another. You might not get the names in the first couple weeks, but eventually you get around to knowing everyone and knowing everyone’s personality. That’s the good part about it — knowing who you’re going to be around helps you that much more on the football field.”

And Hill knows who he’s going to be around in the defensive secondary — former teammate and playmaker Andre’ Goodman, future Hall-of-Famers Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins and three 2009 NFL Draft picks, among others. The hope is that going into this year that unit can create more plays to help the team win games.

Hill said there are several things to focus on this offseason to make sure the secondary is successful come the season.

“Not making mistakes, being sound, being accountable to one another, minimizing gains and not giving up deep balls — that’s a huge thing that we’re focusing on this year,” he said.

Last season with the Dolphins, Hill said from what he saw in the film room, the 2008 Denver secondary didn’t play up to its full potential.

“Secondary-wise, I was just hearing that it wasn’t a good year,” he recalled. “A lot of injuries. A lot of deep balls going over their heads. That’s just the perecption I heard, I don’t know as far as what the guys were saying on the team. But coming in, that was the scouting report we had.”

But now that he’s part of the team, he sees what the unit is capable of. In fact, he said he believes the mix of veteran leadership and youth will combine to create great success. More specifically, he said the Broncos secondary should be No. 1 unit in the league in 2009.

“It’s our expectation,” he said. “We’ve all played a lot of football in this league. There’s a lot of talent back there, so we’re not expecting anything less. Our goal is to be the top secondary in the league.”

“If we’re not considering ourselves to be the top, we’re selling ourselves short.”

-Gray Caldwell, DenverBroncos.com

Renaldo's video clip: http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php

ghwk
05-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Here's a good clip of DJ today talking about his new 'Jack-Back' position and how much he loves it and this new Attacking Swarming' defense we're gonna be playing. Checkout Renaldo Hills clip as well.

He said the whole defense, including all the new guys who inherent this FUBAR from last year when they had nothing to do with it are wearing big chips on their shoulders already and fixing to set the record straight.

He also taking about how badly the injuries set things back for the D last year when lost people didn't realize how bad some of them were hurt.Plus some guys missing assignments and screwing things up.

I love how each year just beforethey get their testacles handed to them for 15 games our defense talks about how this year will be different.

Hulamau
05-27-2009, 04:05 PM
I love how each year just beforet hey get their testacles handed to them for 15 games our defense talks about how this year will be different.

Just like the '97 and '98 defenses huh? Don't get stuck in the rear-view mirror... this isn't the last few years.

ghwk
05-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Just like the '97 and '98 defenses huh? Don't get stuck in the rear-view mirror... this isn't the last few years.

LOL, and the last few years weren't gonna be the last few years either. 97 and 98?? What do you see here that makes you think they will be that good. Until it happens on the field it's just talk. Mind you I hope they are good. Finally. But not good like the last few years.

Hulamau
05-27-2009, 04:17 PM
That's true of every team until it happens its all speculation. But Denver hasn't always had crappy defenses, by any means, and really only the last couple years have they been choke artists.

If you haven't noticed, we have a lot of new people here and got rid of a lot of dead wood ... as well as all different coaches and schemes. If you think this is a carbon copy of last year your dead wrong as well.

ludo21
05-27-2009, 04:24 PM
If we get into the top 25 of Defenses this year Ill be happy

SouthStndJunkie
05-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Just your typical May fluff article/interview.

I will temper my enthusiasm until I see some results on the field on the defensive side of the ball.

And Hulamau, you don't need to jump right in and try to defend the article or the defense.

I am not being negative....I just am jaded from years of fluff pieces and big talk in the offseason.

NFLBRONCO
05-27-2009, 04:26 PM
If we can get off the field with a 3 and out twice a game I'd be thrilled.

TheReverend
05-27-2009, 04:30 PM
So DJ is at OLB...

Late January the start of a DJ at OLB and everyone attacking that idea:

Well out of 4 linebacker spots, we have what that could manage?

You're a fan of DJ Williams, so where do you think he fits? Because even his supporters have to believe he's definitely NOT suited to be inside in a 3-4 where you need to be part defensive tackle suited to taking on blockers and playing in traffic or AT LEAST have that mentality. DJ's a dancer when he's not blitzing. I figure he MIGHT be able to play OLB because he's a pretty good blitzer, good size, and would be useful in coverage.

So MAYBE we have one spot filled. Then we need to hope that Doom or Moss can be effective? Doom maybe, but Moss? How can you be effective standing up when you can't in a down stance?

So we need to just be hopeful that we can nail:
Two solid noses
Thomas and Robertson transition effectively
DJ, Larsen, Woodyard can find a spot
At LEAST ONE more ILB that can thump

...and that's before addressing the safety position and getting some decent corner depth for our injury prone aging starters.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=76408&page=6

TheReverend
05-27-2009, 04:41 PM
With info, new starting line up projection

DE: Peterson
NT: Thomas/Fields
DE: Ayers
OLB: DJ
ILB: WWIII
ILB: Davis
OLB: Moss/Dumervil

Bolded another brilliant call from same thread.

bronco0608
05-27-2009, 04:45 PM
So DJ is at OLB...

Late January the start of a DJ at OLB and everyone attacking that idea:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=76408&page=6

No, he will be playing the ILB like Takeo Spikes did for San Fran. At 2:37 into the video he said he will be playing "inside linebacker, away from the tight end."

I'm sure he will lineup all over the place, but he will not be the full time starting pass rushing OLB on this team. He can't play with his hand on the ground.

Hulamau
05-27-2009, 04:48 PM
The last thing I want to hear from the players this time of year is how badly they feel they are going to F**k up this year.

Rah Rah pieces are par for the course every May.. and when the right blend comes together they come true.

Its starts with talent, and a good scheme but having their heads screwed on straight and a solid attitude is a big part of it too.

We know there is plenty of talent on this team and we'll find out soon enough if they can blend it all together and if the coaches can put these guys in position to succeed soon enough.

worm
05-27-2009, 04:51 PM

Bolded another brilliant call from same thread.

I would try to power run on that D.

footstepsfrom#27
05-27-2009, 04:58 PM
I'll give Nolan & Co. a little leeway knowing they weren't here for the last few debacles served up by the Shanny regime...but I still recall how people fawned over Jim Bates and told me I was stupid for not drinking the Koolaid and a few months later he was history. We do get these bold predictions every year so if this bunch is gonne make things different they have a long ways to go to prove themselves. I'm hoping for some nice stuff from Barrett and WWIII in this D...maybe Elvis too, but it won't surprise me if they're every bit as bad as last year because unless these UDFA kids simply astound everyone this D-line is going to struggle as much, if not more than they did last year. We'll see how the 3-4 comes together...conventional wisdom says it takes at least two years to implement that scheme.

Seamus
05-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Realistically I would proclaim to be a great secondary if I knew the front line was going to carry their weight. So I agree with the May hype, hope everyone forgets next month what was said.

Denver hasn't had a pass rush for years, the last time I actually saw a little pass rush was when Trevor Price played against Kansas City. And good MLB just don't grow on trees or available around draft/FA.

Kaylore
05-27-2009, 04:59 PM
It's good to hear that DJ is excited about the role he's been given on defense. "Jack" linebacker. Is that like a rover-type position, except played from the linebacking position?

bronco0608
05-27-2009, 05:02 PM
And if DJ is playing OLB FULL TIME on this team, Mike Nolan needs to be fired today.

Noway can DJ take on OTs in the run game.

And noway can Wesley Woodyard take on OL in the run game every play. That's ridiculous to think that Woodyard, a guy with a safety's build, can last 8 games, much less a season, banging into 330 pound offensive lineman all game long. Stupid. Not gonna happen.

Now if it does happen, go lawd, we are going to give up 200 yards a game on the ground.

TheReverend
05-27-2009, 05:15 PM
It's good to hear that DJ is excited about the role he's been given on defense. "Jack" linebacker. Is that like a rover-type position, except played from the linebacking position?

Jack is the outside linebacker on the weakside in a Nick Saban defense.

ward63
05-27-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm glad that DJ took a stand and said NO SAM!

TheReverend
05-27-2009, 05:25 PM

He couldn't play the Sam in a 3-4. That's more of a defensive end than a LB.

oubronco
05-27-2009, 05:29 PM
If we can get off the field with a 3 and out twice a game I'd be thrilled.

Hell if we can stop a fat man from rolling uphill I'll be thrilled

bronco0608
05-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Really, can anyone imagine DJ Williams bull-rushing a DE or utilizing a spin move to get to the QB? Has anyone EVER seen DJ do this? DJ utilizing his hands in combat with an OT to get the QB? Get the **** out of here. It takes DEs YEARS of training to understand technique, balance, hand positioning, and various moves to get the QB.

The only thing DJ can do is speed rush.

There is not a chance in hell DJ is playing OLB next year.

TheReverend
05-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Really, can anyone imagine DJ Williams bull-rushing a DE or utilizing a spin move to get to the QB? Has anyone EVER seen DJ do this? DJ utilizing his hands in combat with an OT to get the QB? Get the **** out of here. It takes DEs YEARS of training to understand technique, balance, hand positioning, and various moves to get the QB.

The only thing DJ can do is speed rush.

There is not a chance in hell DJ is playing OLB next year.

Someone is extremely confused about Sam vs Jack.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-27-2009, 05:38 PM
I cant imagine anyone small playing either OLB...isnt this D almost like a 5-2 in many ways?

ghwk
05-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Jack gets you drunk quicker.

bronco0608
05-27-2009, 05:45 PM

Am I?

Bolded another brilliant call from same thread

Anaximines
05-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Rev:

No, he will be playing the ILB like Takeo Spikes did for San Fran. At 2:37 into the video he said he will be playing "inside linebacker, away from the tight end."

TheReverend
05-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Rev:

He also refers to himself as playing the Jack linebacker. That's not terminology for the inside on a 3-4 for ANY team. And considering all the time McD spent with Saban, the Jack will be the weakside OLB. That's the playmaker and flow to the ball player in a Saban linebacking crew.

TheReverend
05-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Am I?

Yes, you are. The two are far from the same spot.

BroncoInferno
05-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Yes, you are. The two are far from the same spot.

Rev, listen to the audio. DJ says clearly that he will be playing inside backer away from the TE. Whatever "Jack" may mean in the Saban defense obviously does not apply with Nolan.

TheReverend
05-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Rev, listen to the audio. DJ says clearly that he will be playing inside backer away from the TE. Whatever "Jack" may mean in the Saban defense obviously does not apply with Nolan.

Lol, okay. We'll see.

BroncoInferno
05-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Lol, okay. We'll see.

So, you think DJ is lying or does not know what he is talking about when he states he will be playing inside linebacker away from the TE?

bronco0608
05-27-2009, 06:05 PM
He also refers to himself as playing the Jack linebacker. That's not terminology for the inside on a 3-4 for ANY team. And considering all the time McD spent with Saban, the Jack will be the weakside OLB. That's the playmaker and flow to the ball player in a Saban linebacking crew.

Grrr, no matter how you name it, you have to have TWO OLBs in the game that can play the run and rush the QB if you want to play a 3-4 d. Call the position "Jack" if you want, but that doesn't make DJ a OLB in a 3-4.

You can call the position "sniffer willy whack" for all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that in a 3-4 defense, the OLBs have to be able to go into hand-to-hand combat with OTs on run plays, cover TEs depending on which side they line up on, bull-rush OTs, pass rush on obvious pass plays, and generally create havoc.

DJ Williams is none of this.

Really, imagine DJ williams trying to stand-up a OT on a run play. He is going to get driven 8 yards down the field. Just run at DJ all game long. Once the OT gets his hands on him, its a wrap.

TheReverend
05-27-2009, 06:15 PM
So, you think DJ is lying or does not know what he is talking about when he states he will be playing inside linebacker away from the TE?

A quick fleeting statement where he didn't explain much? Sure. Listen, feel free to look up how Nolan uses a jack linebacker then while I drop my daughter off. Otherwise, I'll do it when I get home.

TheReverend
05-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Okay, so Denverbroncos.com is saying Pat Willis played the "Jack" in SF. Fairly credible source but I'm still skeptical. Definitely looking forward to camp reports.

Florida_Bronco
05-27-2009, 06:56 PM
I love how each year just beforethey get their testacles handed to them for 15 games our defense talks about how this year will be different.

That might be a valid argument if we hadn't just purged the defense of every coach and most of the players.

BroncoMan4ever
05-27-2009, 07:21 PM
I would try to power run on that D.

and then Woodyard will bitch slap the runner and dare the runner to run at him again.

Drek
05-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Okay, so Denverbroncos.com is saying Pat Willis played the "Jack" in SF. Fairly credible source but I'm still skeptical. Definitely looking forward to camp reports.

I've heard the exact same terminology Rev is talking about here w/ regards to the 3-4 and Saban's style of D.

Seems odd that Nolan apparently changes a bunch of it arround, but then the guy also uses the "joker" term for his SOLB which isn't something a lot of 3-4 schemes even seem to employ period (going with jack, will, mike, sam respectively, and his apparently being will, jack, mike, joker I'm guessing).

Its all largely terminology that we as fans aren't typically privy to, unfortunately.

I cant imagine anyone small playing either OLB...isnt this D almost like a 5-2 in many ways?
Wade Phillips runs his 3-4 a lot like that, and Dick LeBeau skates close to it at times, but that isn't how we'll be running it.

We'll have a dedicated pass rusher type who will play one 3-4 OLB spot where we can basically make it look like a 4-3 front if we wish (apparently the will in Nolan's terminology). The other 3-4 OLB needs to be a versatile player and is termed the "joker". Nolan uses them all over the field, for example Adalius Thomas lined up in nearly every kind of alignment you could think of with him in Baltimore. He also likes them big, as Thomas is in the 270 pound area and Justin Smith was his choice for the 49ers joker, he runs 285.

I think we'll see Robert Ayers penciled into that role with Crowder as competition/backup material there. Dumervil will be penciled into the will spot as the rush linebacker with Moss as the guy to try and push him.

In what New England has typically played the 3-4 uses the WOLB in a similar rush linebacker capacity, but the SOLB typically has to be a jack of all trades types and often rushing the passer comes secondary to being able to cover and stuff the run. I'm not sure if McDaniels will be bringing much of that here, he seems pretty willing to let Nolan assemble the D (hence using our #18 pick on a somewhat raw athletic talent who profiles well as the joker in Nolan's D).

Should be interesting. This is just a fluff piece but at least it sounds like DJ is feeling healthy again and is getting used to his new role. If its similar to how Nolan made use of Patrick Willis in SF it should be very conducive to DJ, as it will let him just flow to the ball and make plays. That is where he really shines.

lex
05-27-2009, 08:19 PM

Actually, the injuries helped in a lot of cases. Some of the young guys did better than the regular starters...ok most of the young guys.

TheReverend
05-27-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure if McDaniels will be bringing much of that here, he seems pretty willing to let Nolan assemble the D (hence using our #18 pick on a somewhat raw athletic talent who profiles well as the joker in Nolan's D).

This is what bothers me. Upon arrival, McDaniels in interviews claimed he was doing what he wanted to do on offense and defense and was assembling his staff that could execute HIS systems. After coaches were hired in other interviews he explained that they were spending a lot of time teaching the new coaches the nuances of his system.

So, wtf...

Jack at inside, my ass.

cutthemdown
05-27-2009, 08:32 PM
LOL he said we can highlight DRE!! Someone tell him Dre got whacked!!!!

TheReverend
05-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Interestingly enough, you can't find a single reference to Jack as an ILB outside of Broncos articles talking about DJs interview... NOTHING from anything San Francisco based, either.

Three 3-4 basic systems, Fairbanks, Phillips and Lebeau's Pressure scheme, none refer to Jack as an ILB. In fact, Jacks a term only used in Fairbanks...

This is bull****.

broncosteven
05-27-2009, 08:45 PM
I'll give Nolan & Co. a little leeway knowing they weren't here for the last few debacles served up by the Shanny regime...but I still recall how people fawned over Jim Bates and told me I was stupid for not drinking the Koolaid and a few months later he was history. We do get these bold predictions every year so if this bunch is gonne make things different they have a long ways to go to prove themselves. I'm hoping for some nice stuff from Barrett and WWIII in this D...maybe Elvis too, but it won't surprise me if they're every bit as bad as last year because unless these UDFA kids simply astound everyone this D-line is going to struggle as much, if not more than they did last year. We'll see how the 3-4 comes together...conventional wisdom says it takes at least two years to implement that scheme.

I admit to being wrong about Bates.

I still haven't seen a great pickup on D, Dawkins is a safety not Dlineman, that is going to help our Dline.

BMarsh615
05-27-2009, 08:46 PM
LOL he said we can highlight DRE!! Someone tell him Dre got whacked!!!!

I think he meant Andre Davis

~Crash~
05-27-2009, 09:24 PM

now if he can keep his face mask from getting totally stiffed armed?!?! I don't get the DJ love in this joint ... he sucks hope is cut .

SoCalBronco
05-27-2009, 09:36 PM
So DJ is at OLB...

No...he's not. I don't know why people are repeating this in the thread. If you watch the interview, he defines Jack as ILB away from the TE, which is what we've been saying all along, WILB.

TheReverend
05-27-2009, 09:37 PM
No...he's not. I don't know why people are repeating this in the thread. If you watch the interview, he defines Jack as ILB away from the TE, which is what we've been saying all along, WILB.

Read the rest of the thread to understand confusion.

If you can find another source terming an ILB as a Jack, please send it my way because this is literally driving me nuts.

Mediator12
05-27-2009, 10:49 PM
This is some real weird terminology. No one should use "Jack" And "Joker" in the same freaking system. It screws people up on the freaking board and LB's are not that damn smart to have 2 positions labeled "J".

I have never seen a professional playbook with both designations, but this is pretty stupid nonetheless if its true. I just hope DJ knows where he is supposed to go ;D God love him, it kept him out of the nickle for several years!

worm
05-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Agreed Med....only one 'J' makes sense.

Isn't Jack short for Jack of All Trades, or Just About Anywhere?

By default doesn't that mean it could be defined as anywhere you have your playmaker?

Not the Pros, but here is an excerpt talking about R.C. Slocum's teams using the 'Jack' term to define a safety playing inside during a 8 man front.

During R.C.'s tenure in Aggieland, "jack" was a term to describe an eight-man front we used out of the 3-4 to stop power-running teams. In 'jack'', the strong safety moved down and covered the B or C gap, depending on the strong end's alignment. This gave us eight in the box; we played man-free behind it, so it put a lot of pressure on our cornerbacks, but we had the cover guys to play that scheme. I am wondering if Sherman came up with this term when talking to R.C. this off-season about ways to strengthen our run defense; it wouldn't be the first time we've gone to a 3-4 alignment to fix our run defense.

Hulamau
05-27-2009, 11:10 PM
DJ said hes playing inside not outside.

Hulamau
05-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Grrr, no matter how you name it, you have to have TWO OLBs in the game that can play the run and rush the QB if you want to play a 3-4 d. Call the position "Jack" if you want, but that doesn't make DJ a OLB in a 3-4.

You can call the position "sniffer willy whack" for all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that in a 3-4 defense, the OLBs have to be able to go into hand-to-hand combat with OTs on run plays, cover TEs depending on which side they line up on, bull-rush OTs, pass rush on obvious pass plays, and generally create havoc.

DJ Williams is none of this.

Really, imagine DJ williams trying to stand-up a OT on a run play. He is going to get driven 8 yards down the field. Just run at DJ all game long. Once the OT gets his hands on him, its a wrap.

Do need a brain transplant son, or just a hearing aide!? Listen to the GDamn audio three or for times if it takes you that long to realize DJ did NOT say 'Jack' S**t about playing OLB!! .. He specifically said his new "Jack-Back' position was INSIDE and away from the TE.

WABronco
05-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Dj's a cool dude. Should be a solid leader for us next season.

Hulamau
05-27-2009, 11:33 PM

If you can find another source terming an ILB as a Jack, please send it my way because this is literally driving me nuts.

Who gives a Flying F**K what Jack means anywhere else?? We are talking about what position DJ himself, personally , in the flesh .... as in live on camera .... said HE was playing... He defgined that as clear as a bell as an Inside position away from the TE!

Now you can argue the he shouldn't use the term 'Jack back' because some other team uses it differently but we are talking ABOUT what DJ said HIS position was.

I think some of you guys just like to argue for the sake of being contrary!

See next post!

TheReverend
05-27-2009, 11:35 PM
http://westrum.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/holy-facepalm.jpg

Hulamau
05-27-2009, 11:37 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/05/28/broncos.williams.ap/index.html

Broncos LB Williams eager for new role

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- The Denver Broncos value D.J. Williams' versatility at linebacker even if at times it's vexing for him.

This season, he'll be asked to relocate to another new linebacking spot, his fourth change in six seasons.

But he's not grumbling because Williams feels like he just landed a plum position. With Denver switching to a 3-4 formation, Williams will play inside and away from the tight end.

That frees him up to roam around, react and wreak havoc.

"I love my position," Williams said Wednesday on Day 2 of the Broncos' passing camp. "I think the position highlights what type of player I am. It allows me to do what I do best."

Since he was drafted by Denver in 2004, Williams has bounced around from one linebacker spot to another, just depending on which defensive coordinator wanted him where in their particular scheme.

He's enjoyed his time at middle and weakside linebacker, detested his stint at strongside. That's one spot he never wants to play again.

Williams was moved to strongside linebacker in 2005 to make room for Ian Gold, and didn't have much fun. In that position, Williams came out on passing downs.

"As long as I don't have to go back to Sam (strongside), they can put me anywhere," Williams said.

Under new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, Williams will have more flexibility to make reads. When asked to give an overview of his duties, Williams grinned and said, "Go to the ball and make plays."

Sounds similar to what Nolan allowed Ray Lewis to do when Nolan was in charge of the Baltimore Ravens' defense.

.................................................. .....

The Broncos finished at or near the bottom in every major defensive category, contributing to the team blowing a three-game lead with three to go and failing to make the playoffs. That ultimately led to the firing of Mike Shanahan, a coach Williams was sorry to see go.

"He's a great coach," Williams said. "Honestly, I put that on the players more than anything ... You can do all the coaching you want, but the players still have to play the game."

Williams realizes a dark cloud looms over a disappointing defense that surrendered 448 points last season. It's even guilt by association for newly signed free agents such as defensive backs Renaldo Hill, Brian Dawkins, Andra Davis and Andre Goodman.

"We've got 10 or 12 guys that have chips on their shoulders that weren't even here (last year)," said Williams, who was the team's second-leading tackler in 2008. "They just take the burden of what we did last year on them."

Broncos defensive lineman Kenny Peterson has already flipped the page on last season, preferring to forget all about the past.

"You can't worry about what the defense did last year. This is a new era, a new coaching staff, a new philosophy, a new everything," he said. "Pretty much what we did last year is null and void. You can't even count it. We have new faces, new everything. New is the word of the day."

Williams definitely knows that as he's relocating to another new position. So far, he likes the construction of this defense.

"We had talent last year, but because of injuries and things like that -- a play here, a play there -- things didn't go too well," Williams said. "This year, we see it as a chance to make that up."

doof
05-28-2009, 12:08 AM

The "JACK," played so masterfully by first-year Jet Eric Barton, basically would be the equivalent to Ray Lewis' weak-side inside linebacker position in a more traditional 3-4 scheme such as Baltimore's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=1949626

OABB
05-28-2009, 12:14 AM
The "JACK," played so masterfully by first-year Jet Eric Barton, basically would be the equivalent to Ray Lewis' weak-side inside linebacker position in a more traditional 3-4 scheme such as Baltimore's.

that'll do.

footstepsfrom#27
05-28-2009, 12:26 AM
He specifically said his new "Jack-Back' position was INSIDE and away from the TE.
And if there are two tight ends?

Houshyamama
05-28-2009, 12:35 AM
If we get into the top 25 of Defenses this year Ill be happy

no you won't

BroncoMan4ever
05-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Nolan is going to use DJ the way he used Ray Lewis. let him read and react to the ball from the inside

TheReverend
05-28-2009, 01:25 AM

that'll do.

No, it won't. What you're reading about is a NYJ article from 2004 in a Herm Edwards 4-3... what it's referencing is the type of position Ray Lewis played in that 46 experiment Balt did that year.

Absolutely NONE of that applies to this...

However, strong misunderstanding skills.

bronco0608
05-28-2009, 01:35 AM
Do need a brain transplant son, or just a hearing aide!? Listen to the GDamn audio three or for times if it takes you that long to realize DJ did NOT say 'Jack' S**t about playing OLB!! .. He specifically said his new "Jack-Back' position was INSIDE and away from the TE.

Hilarious!

Read all my posts in this thread. Please, do yourself that favor.

And no, I don't want an apology.

You are a buffoon.

Popps
05-28-2009, 01:49 AM
I hate the idea of DJ on the outside. He can't take on blockers, he's got marginal blitzing skills at best, and just isn't physical.

He runs fast and tackles fairly well. That's worth something, but I'm not looking for big things out of him.

Florida_Bronco
05-28-2009, 02:02 AM
I'm not looking for big things out of him.

I am.

Popps
05-28-2009, 02:10 AM
I am.

Well, I'm hoping for big things out of him.

We'll see what happens.

Odysseus
05-28-2009, 02:33 AM

I will temper my enthusiasm until I see some results on the field on the defensive side of the ball.

And Hulamau, you don't need to jump right in and try to defend the article or the defense.

I am not being negative....I just am jaded from years of fluff pieces and big talk in the offseason.

I'm sick of fluff myself. Show me something. These guys have been boom/bust defense for years. One game they shut down a team and then the next can't stop the fans from booing.

If they stop playing hot and cold that would be an improvement.

doof
05-28-2009, 03:36 AM
No, it won't. What you're reading about is a NYJ article from 2004 in a Herm Edwards 4-3... what it's referencing is the type of position Ray Lewis played in that 46 experiment Balt did that year.

Absolutely NONE of that applies to this...

However, strong misunderstanding skills.

Is this better? It specifically refers to the Patriot's 2008 Defense:

With Mike Vrabel and Adalius Thomas now entrenched on the outside, the battle is on to start at the "jack" linebacker spot (inside linebacker on the weak side of the formation) next to Tedy Bruschi.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=437856

cutthemdown
05-28-2009, 04:03 AM
I think he meant Andre Davis

ahhh ok lol.

cutthemdown
05-28-2009, 04:06 AM
You know when a team refers to an inside linebacker, as the Jack Linebacker, that usually means a 46 defense. The 46 removes the SSL and puts him inside the Will linebacker away from the TE. But that defense has 4 downlineman and is not a 3-4.

Broncos defense is a mystery but I wouldn't get all upset about. Let's just wait and see what they have planned.

cutthemdown
05-28-2009, 04:08 AM
I hate the idea of DJ on the outside. He can't take on blockers, he's got marginal blitzing skills at best, and just isn't physical.

He runs fast and tackles fairly well. That's worth something, but I'm not looking for big things out of him.

DJ sounds like the plan is to keep blockers off him, which IMO is the only way he can play well.

BroncoBuff
05-28-2009, 04:55 AM

Most definitely ... every team is Super Bowl bound in May.

BroncoBuff
05-28-2009, 04:59 AM
http://westrum.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/holy-facepalm.jpg

... and deliver us from intemperate optimism.

BroncoBuff
05-28-2009, 05:10 AM
I've heard the exact same terminology Rev is talking about here w/ regards to the 3-4 and Saban's style of D.

Seems odd that Nolan apparently changes a bunch of it arround, but then the guy also uses the "joker" term for his SOLB which isn't something a lot of 3-4 schemes even seem to employ period (going with jack, will, mike, sam respectively, and his apparently being will, jack, mike, joker I'm guessing).
You were right from day 1 that Williams would be WILB. And based on what DJ said, we know Woodyard will be backing him up there.

Gotta believe it's Andra Davis and Spencer Larsen at SILB.

Elvis-Moss at WOLB ?

Reid-Ayers as SOLB ?

The names/terminology is still funny: WILB is Jack, SOLB is Joker, what else?

HILife
05-28-2009, 05:22 AM
Hell if we can stop a fat man from rolling uphill I'll be thrilled

Lower those expectations, this is a new defense.

Hulamau
05-28-2009, 05:31 AM
I'm sick of fluff myself. Show me something. These guys have been boom/bust defense for years. One game they shut down a team and then the next can't stop the fans from booing.

If they stop playing hot and cold that would be an improvement.

Absolutely QT, the rubber meets the road in September. And if we had kept Slowik and just shuffled a few players around .. .maybe added another Jarvis Moss-type DE in the draft ... then Id be highly skeptical and cynical too about now!

None of us have any idea how it s going to work out this year, but I do like the direction the team is going. At least we have some real change happening. Yes, there are still big question marks and Footsteps is right too that a lot depends on at least a couple of those UDFA's working out this year, if as nothing more than reliable solid rotation guys on the line.

But we don't have to swallow the whole 'Kumbayah' fluff lines in order to see though the Rah Rah parts and glean some real changes in direction, talent and philosophy going on here as well. That's the part that interests me!

All 32 teams are Super Bowl Champs about now this time of year... but does what we are doing have the potential makings of a return to a competitive defense? Whether or not we realize it fully this year or have to wait to next year for it all to fall in line? Thats the real question.

Solid progress in the last half of this year with more turnovers, more aggressive tackling and pursuit, more QB pressure and a severe cut-down on the long runs would be a huge step in that direction. And so seeing any mention of thes guys focusing on those areas is good to see. We'll see soon enough how it all comes together or not.

But being reasonably optimistic doesn't mean being Pollyanna either. We have a mountain of hurdles to climb.

My take is that we have made at least enough changes on D, as well as in scheme coaches and talent, while solidifying most of the offense (QB remains to be seen) to merit some flicker of hope in this wait and see approach.

Popcorn Sutton
05-28-2009, 08:14 AM

DJ said in the video it's the inside linebacker away from the Tight End...

400HZ
05-28-2009, 08:24 AM
That might be a valid argument if we hadn't just purged the defense of every coach and most of the players.

Like last year? :giggle:

Br0nc0Buster
05-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Like last year? :giggle:

not really
wasnt very much change in our defensive staff other than Slowik taking over as DC.
and John Engleberger was still on the team

The fact that he is gone means there is hope

Inkana7
05-28-2009, 08:34 AM
There's a gleam, men.....Let's go get that gleam.

400HZ
05-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Interestingly enough, you can't find a single reference to Jack as an ILB outside of Broncos articles talking about DJs interview... NOTHING from anything San Francisco based, either.

Three 3-4 basic systems, Fairbanks, Phillips and Lebeau's Pressure scheme, none refer to Jack as an ILB. In fact, Jacks a term only used in Fairbanks...

This is bull****.

Terminologies in an NFL defense are pretty much arbitrary. The Wade Phillips Dallas defense is the exact same defense as the Wade Phillips San Diego defense, but he changed some of the terms to make the transition from Parcells' Fairbanks-Bullough system a little bit easier, although the schemes are fundamentally very different. The names really don't matter. The responsibilities do. Giving DJ Williams a happy new name isn't going to teach him how to take on blockers at the line or rusher the passer or do anything else that a 3-4 OLB needs to do. He'll still be the same old lost DJ. :)

Br0nc0Buster
05-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Terminologies in an NFL defense are pretty much arbitrary. The Wade Phillips Dallas defense is the exact same defense as the Wade Phillips San Diego defense, but he changed some of the terms to make the transition from Parcells' Fairbanks-Bullough system a little bit easier, although the schemes are fundamentally very different. The names really don't matter. The responsibilities do. Giving DJ Williams a happy new name isn't going to teach him how to take on blockers at the line or rusher the passer or do anything else that a 3-4 OLB needs to do. He'll still be the same old lost DJ. :)

Which is why its a good thing he will be at ILB
I think a point of emphasis will be indeed to keep DJ as clean as possible from lineman, easier said than done, especially with our dline, but they are gonna try to get him out in space.

~Crash~
05-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Nolan is going to use DJ the way he used Ray Lewis. let him read and react to the ball from the inside

Ass tackle king 15 yards down field will be pump his arm in the air going hell yeah .... and the chain gang will be out on the field measuring and it will be a first down by the nose of the football... First down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flower:

~Crash~
05-28-2009, 12:00 PM

You are giving Ass Tackle way to much credit. mister arm bar would also be good for a seconday name...