PDA

View Full Version : Paxton Piece

Hulamau
05-27-2009, 04:57 AM
I think another obvious reason McD wanted Lonie here is not only for his unquestionable skills as one of the, if not THE, top long snappers in the NFL, but also to help infuse a Patriot way of doing things not only on the field but in the locker room, along with Gaffney and Jordan, and help guys learn the ropes quickly. Almost like quasi player-coaches ... especially during this first off season and training Camp.

Read the full article at link below
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12455730

Broncos' Paxton credits mound presence
The long snapper brings a quiet confidence to the team while relying on his pitching background.
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post

......... As a long snapper, Paxton was used to maintaining a low profile in the locker room during his nine years in New England, yet he ended up causing a minor stir in Denver when he signed with the Broncos on Feb. 27 as a free agent. The move was significant not just because of the size of his contract — five years, $5.5 million, with a $1 million bonus, making him the second-highest paid player at his position in the NFL — but because the Broncos already had Mike Leach, a respected, veteran long snapper. Leach was soon released, and he quickly signed with Arizona.

"Me and Mike have played against each other for years, and you know, it's a business," Paxton said. "I never went out to do that, but it was something I didn't really have much control over. It was a career move."

And it was one that new coach Josh McDaniels, who overlapped with Paxton for eight years in New England, is hoping will pay off.

Paxton has spent the past two months working closely with kicker Matt Prater and punter Brett Kern, who are entering their second full NFL seasons. So far, Prater is impressed.

"I can see why they gave him the big bucks. He's legit. He's good, really good," Prater said Tuesday after the first day of the team's passing camp. "I don't want to jinx him, I should knock on wood, but Coach McDaniels said he hasn't had a bad snap in nine years."

Broncoman13
05-27-2009, 05:27 AM
I think another obvious reason McD wanted Lonie here is not only for his unquestionable skills as one of the, if not THE, top long snappers in the NFL, but also to help infuse a Patriot way of doing things not only on the field but in the locker room, along with Gaffney and Jordan, and help guys learn the ropes quickly. Almost like quasi player-coaches ... especially during this first off season and training Camp.

Read the full article at link below
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12455730

Broncos' Paxton credits mound presence
The long snapper brings a quiet confidence to the team while relying on his pitching background.
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post

......... As a long snapper, Paxton was used to maintaining a low profile in the locker room during his nine years in New England, yet he ended up causing a minor stir in Denver when he signed with the Broncos on Feb. 27 as a free agent. The move was significant not just because of the size of his contract five years, $5.5 million, with a $1 million bonus, making him the second-highest paid player at his position in the NFL but because the Broncos already had Mike Leach, a respected, veteran long snapper. Leach was soon released, and he quickly signed with Arizona.

"Me and Mike have played against each other for years, and you know, it's a business," Paxton said. "I never went out to do that, but it was something I didn't really have much control over. It was a career move."

And it was one that new coach Josh McDaniels, who overlapped with Paxton for eight years in New England, is hoping will pay off.

Paxton has spent the past two months working closely with kicker Matt Prater and punter Brett Kern, who are entering their second full NFL seasons. So far, Prater is impressed.

"I can see why they gave him the big bucks. He's legit. He's good, really good," Prater said Tuesday after the first day of the team's passing camp. "I don't want to jinx him, I should knock on wood, but Coach McDaniels said he hasn't had a bad snap in nine years."

When that conversation continued, Prater also stated that he wouldn't say he was better than Mike Leach either which was pretty obvious with how quickly he (Leach) was signed after his release. Paxton is a great snapper, but it's kind of like trading Boldin for BMarsh. Yeah both are great players, but one guy is getting paid $x,xxx,xxx while the other is getting paid $xxx,xxx. Even veterans on the team were scratching their heads over that one which tells me everything I need to know about the move.

BroncoInSkinland
05-27-2009, 05:54 AM

I agree. McDaniels went to great lengths to get Character guys/veteran leadership in all aspects of the game. Dawkins, Andra Davis, Gaffney, Jordan, and Paxton were all signed for thier mindset as well as thier skills on the field. I think Leach could have lead the ST's in this regard, but then ST's have sucked for a while and Leach has been here the whole time. This is another move by McDaniels that a lot of people find fault with, but I really don't mind. I can't even begin to think of a scenario where having Leach instead of Paxton would win us a game, but Paxton instead of Leach, if it instills the proper mindset on Special teams could turn out to be important. I hope Paxton can provide the leadership Josh is looking for, and that the mindset Josh is working towards is as benificial as he seems to think.

dbfan21
05-27-2009, 07:14 AM
I wonder how many "less-than-stellar" snaps by Leach have contributed to missed field goals or hurried punts. I liked Leach's hustle down the field. He always seemed to be in on tackles.

Maybe Paxton will prove he's worth the money! :sunshine:

Popcorn Sutton
05-27-2009, 07:42 AM
I wonder how many "less-than-stellar" snaps by Leach have contributed to missed field goals or hurried punts. I liked Leach's hustle down the field. He always seemed to be in on tackles.

Maybe Paxton will prove he's worth the money! :sunshine:

He made 3 tackles last year. :rofl:

Rohirrim
05-27-2009, 07:51 AM
He'll bust off 2000 yds... and so on. ;D

Smiling Assassin27
05-27-2009, 08:27 AM
He'll bust off 2000 yds... and so on. ;D

Coach McDaniels also says Paxton has a stronger arm than John Elway--hands down.

Drek
05-27-2009, 10:27 AM
When that conversation continued, Prater also stated that he wouldn't say he was better than Mike Leach either which was pretty obvious with how quickly he (Leach) was signed after his release. Paxton is a great snapper, but it's kind of like trading Boldin for BMarsh. Yeah both are great players, but one guy is getting paid $x,xxx,xxx while the other is getting paid $xxx,xxx. Even veterans on the team were scratching their heads over that one which tells me everything I need to know about the move.

1. Why didn't you fill in the X's?

Paxton makes $1,100,000. Leach's vet minimum was at $850,000. People here are flipping out over $250,000, less than what a league minimum guy gets paid.

2. The "veterans" scratching their heads I'm guessing is in reference to Brandon Stokley's comments. If you couldn't see how clearly that was influenced by Stokley's own situation (with Gaffney just signed at that time, Chad Jackson going back to a familiar NE system, and now us drafting another WR) then I don't know how to make it any clearer. His comments look to me like an obvious bit of concern over his own job security, not Mike Leach's.

Leach is a great long snapper. But Paxton is only marginally more expensive, younger, and someone our coach is familiar with. I think $250K is a small price to pay for comfort and security within a $130M payroll.

Popps
05-27-2009, 12:04 PM
1. Why didn't you fill in the X's?

Paxton makes $1,100,000. Leach's vet minimum was at $850,000. People here are flipping out over $250,000, less than what a league minimum guy gets paid..

Thank you.

Can we put a lid on this stupid ****ing conversation, now?

McDaniels went out and got a player he felt was a key role player in NE's success and a leader-type.

You people want to bitch about special teams sucking every year, but then you want to bitch when we spend a few dollars or draft picks to improve them.

I wonder if some people just want to bitch?

Hmmm....

dbfan21
05-27-2009, 12:12 PM
He made 3 tackles last year. :rofl:

He might not have always been the "tackler", but he scared the ball carrier into the waiting arms of a fellow Bronco...I dunno...I'm just talking outta my arse! LOL