PDA

View Full Version : anyone interested in seeing Greg Ellis as a Bronco?

broncofan7
05-26-2009, 03:47 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/26/jones-greg-ellis-time-in-dallas-coming-to-an-end/

It would create even more of a numbers log-jam @ OLB--but who do we have that we KNOW can play either OLB spot? I'd like us to field Ellis and Doom/Ayers on the other side----

SoDak Bronco
05-26-2009, 03:53 PM
I guess it will be a sign of how we like our guys if we go get him...I would actually like it if we passed, then maybe they are liking what we have..

Smiling Assassin27
05-26-2009, 03:58 PM
If the price is right, yes.

Gcver2ver3
05-26-2009, 04:18 PM
i say sign em...

give us dpeth...he can start the season in front of Ayers or Doom at OLB...Doom could possibly just play on pass downs...

Gcver2ver3
05-26-2009, 04:18 PM
I would actually like it if we passed, then maybe they are liking what we have..

i don't know how they can make that determination before putting the pads on...

BroncoBuff
05-26-2009, 04:22 PM
He's done ... besides, we're loaded with young talented OLBs.

PRBronco
05-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Hmm, anyone care to offer an over/under on the amount of times we see the word "retread" in this thread?

BroncoMan4ever
05-26-2009, 04:38 PM
He's done ... besides, we're loaded with young talented OLBs.

Ayers and Doom are the top 2 and then there is garbage behind them

BMarsh615
05-26-2009, 05:34 PM
I read on another board that the reason he wants to leave Dallas is because he doesn't want to be a 3-4 OLB. He wants to be an end in a 4-3.

BroncoBuff
05-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Ayers and Doom are the top 2 and then there is garbage behind them

How about DJ, Woodyard, Reid, Green, Boss ... not to mention Jarvis and Crowder?

Don't just criticize and laugh at Boss please, that's getting old. He started 35 games the 3 years before he got here.

cutthemdown
05-26-2009, 06:05 PM
i am.

Pat Bowlen
05-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Don't just criticize and laugh at Boss please, that's getting old. He started 35 games the 3 years before he got here.
So on average he only misses slightly more than a quarter of the season? In that case...

TonyR
05-26-2009, 06:27 PM
He's done ...

He might be, but he did have 8 sacks last year and 12.5 the year before. Would be good as a situational pass rusher on a "contending team" but probably no need for him in Denver unless they can get him cheap.

BroncoMan4ever
05-26-2009, 06:53 PM
How about DJ, Woodyard, Reid, Green, Boss ... not to mention Jarvis and Crowder?

Moss and Crowder have proven nothing of being able to do anything in this league so far at their natural positions let alone in a new position so i have no faith in them at all. Reid is a career backup who is a question mark. DJ, Woodyard, and Green are going to be on the INSIDE in this defense. and of course there's Boss and that needs no explanation.

so once again, we have Ayers and Doom on the outside and behind them garbage and question marks.

eddie mac
05-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Certainly not via trade considering the compensation and the $4.15m salary the Cowboys wanna dump.

Gcver2ver3
05-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Certainly not via trade considering the compensation and the $4.15m salary the Cowboys wanna dump.

yea no doubt...

only look at him if he's released...

footstepsfrom#27
05-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Nope.

Hogan11
05-26-2009, 08:57 PM
If we had some ham, we could have ham and eggs...that's if we had some eggs.

oubronco
05-27-2009, 07:13 AM
retread

broncofan7
05-27-2009, 07:33 AM
retread

better than NO TREAD.

cmhargrove
05-27-2009, 07:35 AM
We have too many young guys that need game experience.

If we are rebuilding, let's go ahead and rebuild with youth. Ellis would be a fine option, but I would rather go with what we have.

I don't feel like Ellis will be ready to "dominate" as an individual. He needs a good supporting cast to be worth his paycheck. Let's just keep rotating our young guys through till we find some "winners."

If we make any more moves out there, I hope it is for some NT prospects. We need more "good" options there. I feel pretty good about our DE competition, and we have several interesting options at OLB.

I'd feel a lot better about our defense if I heard we had an "injury settlement" with Boss Bailey. I have in mind a new tough attitude with our young defense, and Boss just doesn't fit that picture.

Drek
05-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Not really interested in Ellis.

I'd love to see us add Vonnie Holliday though.

BroncoBuff
05-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Not really interested in Ellis.

I'd love to see us add Vonnie Holliday though.

Holliday makes so much sense ... a true 3-4 DE ... and still unsigned. ???

He'd be a Jumpy-like two-year rental, but Dawkins is the same thing, and Vonnie has a lot more in the tank than Ellis.

Gcver2ver3
05-27-2009, 12:19 PM

yea i've been clamouring for Holliday since he visited...

we have a solid amount of cap space...

maybe there's something about him we don't know...

3-4 ends are at a premium right now, even Tyson Jackson went 3rd overall....

yet somehow a guy with proven success at 3-4 end is still unsigned?...

i mean, exactly how much is the guy asking for?...

DBroncos4life
05-27-2009, 12:20 PM

He'd be a Jumpy-like two-year rental, but Dawkins is the same thing, and Vonnie has a lot more in the tank than Ellis.

How does one 33 year old player not on a NFL roster have more left in the tank then another 33 year old player on a NFL roster?

Gcver2ver3
05-27-2009, 12:23 PM
How does one 33 year old player not on a NFL roster have more left in the tank then another 33 year old player on a NFL roster?

being on an NFL roster doesn't decide that type of prognosis...

i can only imagine Holliday could have long been signed if he had come down on his asking price...

with that said, i think both have some left in the tank...both are still productive football players...

DBroncos4life
05-27-2009, 12:30 PM
being on an NFL roster doesn't decide that type of prognosis...

i can only imagine Holliday could have long been signed if he had come down on his asking price...

with that said, i think both have some left in the tank...both are still productive football players...

Not trying to aruge here but do you know what his asking price is? While I think both players can give you something during the season next year you have to look at the production of both players. Holliday had 3.5 sacks last year got 8. I know sacks are not everything stat wise but 8 sacks would have lead our team last year. We need players on the Dline that can rush the passer and of the two Ellis has proven better at this.

Gcver2ver3
05-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Not trying to aruge here but do you know what his asking price is? While I think both players can give you something during the season next year you have to look at the production of both players. Holliday had 3.5 sacks last year got 8. I know sacks are not everything stat wise but 8 sacks would have lead our team last year. We need players on the Dline that can rush the passer and of the two Ellis has proven better at this.

don't really expect sacks form Holliday's position while you would expect some from Ellis...

that's why i say they both appear to have plenty left IMO...

i don't know what Holliday's asking price is, which is why i prefaced with "I can only imagine"...

i think both players are solid players and could help us...

rugbythug
05-27-2009, 12:59 PM
I can't find it now but I thought I read Vonnie Holiday had Ankle Surgery.