PDA

View Full Version : expect some growing pains with this offense

titan
05-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Peter King has this week's Monday Morning Quarterback column up and in it he quotes Wes Welker on the Patriot offense in 2009:

"I feel we've gotten better,'' he said. "Back in '07, Randy and I were in our first year here, and I don't know about Randy, but I was worried about where the hell I was supposed to line up a lot of that season. Now, with so many touches over the last two years, the offense is second nature to us. This is a complicated offense, and getting to know it takes time. But now I think we both know it well, and we're on the same page with Tom every snap."

The Broncos have alot of weapons on offense, but I'm guessing it is going to take awhile (maybe a whole season) for McDaniels to run the New England scheme efficiently.

Read the whole column here:

http://tinyurl.com/rxgvz8

loborugger
05-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Growing pains on offense... growing pains on defense... Maybe special teams will kick in and win us a few games!!!

LOL

The Joker
05-25-2009, 10:31 AM
The Patriots offense sure did suck that year alright, could be a long season for us.

bpc
05-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Well McDaniels says the offense is QB friendly. Sounds like the pressure falls on the supporting cast, HB's, WR's, and TE's.

elsid13
05-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Why do professional football coaches want people to believe that learning an offense or a defense is harder then brain surgery or designing computer chip? It not that hard.

Gcver2ver3
05-25-2009, 10:53 AM
i can understand where Welker is coming from...

the Pat's offense in 2007 was a real struggle...

good point Peter King...

footstepsfrom#27
05-25-2009, 11:11 AM
Why do professional football coaches want people to believe that learning an offense or a defense is harder then brain surgery or designing computer chip? It not that hard.
The same reason most people want others to think they're not as dumb as they seem to be.

DBroncos4life
05-25-2009, 12:04 PM

While the Wonderlic is based on test scores and so is the Medical College Admission Test or MCAT if you will. You will find out that the Medical field doesn't take retards that score below a set score on top of everything else they must have like a perfect GPA and all that jazz. Im willing to bet that you will find NFL players with a IQ (Mike Vick) about the same of monkey. You would be hard pressed to find Dr's with a average IQ.

Broncoman13
05-25-2009, 12:11 PM

Consider the "student body"...

NYBronco
05-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Funny... the past three years Denver has had continual yearly growing pains under Shanahan in every aspect.

cmhargrove
05-25-2009, 06:04 PM
I thought we already copied the patriots in our offensive scheme last year?

Eddie Royal and Stokely will probably be the guys moving all over the field (like Welker). They have both proven they can do that successfully.

If Moreno turns out to be a true backfield threat, we won't necessarily have to go "deep" into the playbook.

I'm just not too concerned about the offense right now. Marshall's transition might be the biggest question mark, but since he has spoken highly of the new regime and seems like he has a "chip on his shoulder" about outplaying Jay, I think he will be fine.

I bet we score more points than last year on offense (BTW that mark is 370 points). And, as a point of order, the Bears scored more points on offense than we did last year. Take that for what its worth...

BroncoMan4ever
05-25-2009, 09:40 PM
i think unless McDaniels feels that Orton is the QBOTF for this team that this year is going to be heavy on the running game and play a lot of clock control and limit Orton's passing and not actually install the full scheme so not so much growing pains with the offense.

if he feels Orton is the guy, than there will be some growing pains but it should be clicking with the team by midseason.

With Welker, the guy was nothing but a special teamer until he got to NE, so his thoughts on how hard the offense was, isn't really validated since he was basically being used as a real receiving threat for the 1st time in his career.

whatever happens with this offense, we are going to be better than last seasons.

also, we basically copied NEs offense last year anyway, so it is basically just terminology and new wrinkles that McDaniels implements that will need to be learned.

Popps
05-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Funny... the past three years Denver has had continual yearly growing pains under Shanahan in every aspect.

Exactly.

As if a year of learning new schemes is going to be a real trauma for fans used to 8-8 seasons and sloppy play.

lex
05-25-2009, 11:01 PM
If only it had that kind of margin for error.

watermock
05-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Total Bullsh!t.

Gaffney knows the offense, Moreno is built to run, period.

The fact is the O was only missing a durable RB.

Anyone who thinks our d is going to improve is mistaken, unless you think a top 25 defense is acceptable.

We're going to turn into a ball control offense? Good luck with that.

Popps
05-26-2009, 01:11 AM
Anyone who thinks our d is going to improve is mistaken

Little bet, Mock?

Name the amount. Let's start there.

Taco ran for the hills when asked to put his money where his mouth was.

You going to do the same?

watermock
05-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Little bet, Mock?

Name the amount. Let's start there.

Taco ran for the hills when asked to put his money where his mouth was.

You going to do the same?

I'm a cripple...RU?

Give me your proposal wimp, I noticed you left that out.

BTW, there is no reason to argue with you, you were on the Hillis is God train right?

And then your on the Cutler is a crybaby train right?

RIGHT?

GROW SOME SACK AND NAME YOUR BET BIATCH.

watermock
05-26-2009, 01:23 AM
8-8 isn't unreasonable is it?

Take that bet.

BroncoMan4ever
05-26-2009, 01:55 AM
8-8 isn't unreasonable is it?

Take that bet.

i'll take the bet that Denver is at least 8-8 this year. i am actually thinking more like 10-6, so i will take a bet saying they will be at least 8-8

watermock
05-26-2009, 01:57 AM
Who asked u dickwad?

Ill take that bet buddy boy, take 10-6. o even 9-7.

C'mon big boy.

Popps
05-26-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm a cripple...RU?

What's that have to do with anything? Your fingers apparently work fine and you have no problem forming opinions. I wasn't challenging you to 1 on 1 basketball.

Give me your proposal wimp, I noticed you left that out.

"Whimp? LOL I offered the bet, Mock. Keep up.

You said the defense won't improve.

I say it will.

I say we'll improve against the run (total yards) and the pass (total yards.)

We'll rank better defensively this year than we did last year.

You said we won't, so... YOU name the bet amount. I laid out the parameters.