PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day - best racing day of the year

Cito Pelon
05-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Monaco Grand Prix, Coca-Cola 600, Indy 500.

Monaco is over. Won by the old Tirol team remade into the Brawn-Mercedes team. Jensen Button the winner, first Brit to win Monaco from the pole since 1973. Man, those F1 cars can fly, brake, corner. I think they have a 2.5L limit on engine displacement, but they sure get HP out of them. They run at about 19k RPM. It's amazing to see them go into the tunnel at 60 mph, come out of the tunnel at 180 MPH, brake down to 60 all in about a half mile.

Now we get to see the 600 and the 500. Great Sunday for racing.

DeuceOfClub
05-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Monaco was OK nothing spectacular this year.
As for Oval Racing, I rather watch "Fresh Prince of Bell Air" marathon

Have a safe Memorial Day all

Cito Pelon
05-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Monaco was OK nothing spectacular this year.
As for Oval Racing, I rather watch "Fresh Prince of Bell Air" marathon

Have a safe Memorial Day all

Sheesh, Monaco is alway dynamite. The premier F1 race. I've always liked F1, those are the most superb machines on the planet outside of military hardware and the space shuttle. I like the rally racing also, that's always a blast to watch. The Pikes Peak hill climb is coming up soon also, that's a good one, although the road is now paved to the top. Back when it was just plain dirt for the top two-thirds it was a little more interesting. But, it's still a wide open competition with a lot of different categories.

Oval, I agree with you somewhat. Those are cookie-cutter cars. All basically the same car. But it's still racing.

oubronco
05-24-2009, 11:42 AM
lets go racing...........BOOGITY............BOOGITY....... ........BOOGITY

Cito Pelon
05-24-2009, 12:09 PM
lets go racing...........BOOGITY............BOOGITY....... ........BOOGITY

Said in that high-pitched peckerwood voice of his. Waltrip was saying a couple weeks ago NASCAR is actually more grueling than Formula One because they go 500 miles at 9000 RPM, but F1 goes only goes 270 miles at 19000 RPM.

Dude's an idiot. F1 is the premier racing league, followed by rally racing. Too bad the Paris-Dakar was cancelled because of the Islamic nuts in North Africa.

cutthemdown
05-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Monaco Grand Prix, Coca-Cola 600, Indy 500.

Monaco is over. Won by the old Tirol team remade into the Brawn-Mercedes team. Jensen Button the winner, first Brit to win Monaco from the pole since 1973. Man, those F1 cars can fly, brake, corner. I think they have a 2.5L limit on engine displacement, but they sure get HP out of them. They run at about 19k RPM. It's amazing to see them go into the tunnel at 60 mph, come out of the tunnel at 180 MPH, brake down to 60 all in about a half mile.

Now we get to see the 600 and the 500. Great Sunday for racing.

I stayed up and watched Monaco, I do every yr. IMO Formula one like the NFL of racing. All the other leagues pale in comparison. Best drivers, fastest cars, most money, hottest chicks, everything.

cutthemdown
05-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Said in that high-pitched peckerwood voice of his. Waltrip was saying a couple weeks ago NASCAR is actually more grueling than Formula One because they go 500 miles at 9000 RPM, but F1 goes only goes 270 miles at 19000 RPM.

Dude's an idiot. F1 is the premier racing league, followed by rally racing. Too bad the Paris-Dakar was cancelled because of the Islamic nuts in North Africa.

LOL I doubt any Nascar driver could make it through a Formula Race without either crashing or blowing up his engine.

Formula Driver= Top Gun Jet figher pilots
Nasca driver= Cargo Pilot with glasses

cutthemdown
05-24-2009, 07:09 PM
The dashboard cam is amazing in F-1. I mean how can a human go that fast without making a mistake. A couple of indy drivers have made the jump to F-1 over the yrs but not many.

In other countries NASCAR gets made fun of like we make fun of soccer. Driving around in a circle is just silly. The only cool races of there whole yr are sears point and a couple other road courses.

Any man who loves fast cars has got to check out F-1.

DeuceOfClub
05-24-2009, 07:12 PM
I haven't missed an F1 race in well over 5 years, and probably missed less than a handful in the last 15.
I love Monaco as much as the next guy, but today's race was nothing special.

After the first 3 races I was very excited about this season, but now it looks that unless Ferrari, McLaren and maybe BMW / Toyota can improve drastically (which you can see is coming) Brawn will win it all much too early.

OABB
05-24-2009, 09:16 PM
<object width="480" height="430"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.theonion.com/content/themes/common/assets/onn_embed/embedded_player.swf?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theonio n.com%2Fcontent%2Ffiles%2Fimages%2FNASCAR_0.jpg&amp;vi deoid=64433&title=NASCAR%20Coach%20Reveals%20Winning%20Strateg y%3A%20%27Drive%20Fast%27" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed src="http://www.theonion.com/content/themes/common/assets/onn_embed/embedded_player.swf"type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="430"flashvars="image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theonion.com%2Fcontent%2Ffi les%2Fimages%2FNASCAR_0.jpg&videoid=64433&title=NASCAR%20Coach%20Reveals%20Winning%20Strateg y%3A%20%27Drive%20Fast%27"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://www.theonion.com/content/video/nascar_coach_reveals_winning?utm_source=videoembed">NASCAR Coach Reveals Winning Strategy: 'Drive Fast'</a>

Dudeskey
05-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Sheesh, Monaco is alway dynamite. The premier F1 race. I've always liked F1, those are the most superb machines on the planet outside of military hardware and the space shuttle. I like the rally racing also, that's always a blast to watch. The Pikes Peak hill climb is coming up soon also, that's a good one, although the road is now paved to the top. Back when it was just plain dirt for the top two-thirds it was a little more interesting. But, it's still a wide open competition with a lot of different categories.

Oval, I agree with you somewhat. Those are cookie-cutter cars. All basically the same car. But it's still racing.

I've felt the same way about F1. Only NASCAR races that ever interested me were in the rare occasion they were held on road courses. Same went with the IRL & CART...

cutthemdown
05-24-2009, 09:39 PM
I haven't missed an F1 race in well over 5 years, and probably missed less than a handful in the last 15.
I love Monaco as much as the next guy, but today's race was nothing special.

After the first 3 races I was very excited about this season, but now it looks that unless Ferrari, McLaren and maybe BMW / Toyota can improve drastically (which you can see is coming) Brawn will win it all much too early.

The whole double dufuser BS has sort of dampened the yr. First supposedly you couldn't do it, then some teams did, and they didn't get disqualified thereby making it legal. Some teams were told that would be illegal.

Honestly I don't understand the stuff because I'm not a motorhead, I just like watching f-1

Hogan11
05-24-2009, 10:27 PM
I hate racing, make no mistake about it, BUT the one cool thing about a lot of this is that bars here will give discount drinks here during the race........so, given that, I wonder why I'm not out every Sunday

Cito Pelon
05-24-2009, 11:58 PM
I stayed up and watched Monaco, I do every yr. IMO Formula one like the NFL of racing. All the other leagues pale in comparison. Best drivers, fastest cars, most money, hottest chicks, everything.

Yup.

Cito Pelon
05-25-2009, 12:35 AM
I've felt the same way about F1. Only NASCAR races that ever interested me were in the rare occasion they were held on road courses. Same went with the IRL & CART...

I liked what used to be called 'stock car' racing. They'd take a stock Plymouth, stock Ford, stock Chevy, stock Mercury, stock Pontiac, whatever, build them up the best they could and race. That was where NASCAR started. Now it's cookie-cutter cars, they put decals on them to make them look like a showroom Ford, Chevy, Dodge, whatever. It's ridiculous to see them put decals of headlights and grills on the cars to make them look like a stock car.

LordHelmchen
05-25-2009, 02:13 AM
Wow, actually some other guys here watching F1? Have rarely missed a race since 1984, and none since 1997.
I actually expected to open this thread and that there would be no mention of Monaco, only of the Indy 500 and Coca-Cola 600 ;D
Watched also the Indy 500. I'm really glad that CART and IRL are united again.

LordHelmchen
05-25-2009, 02:19 AM
I hate that I missed to hear the glorious V12 engines live.
At least I got to hear the V10 a few times.
Spa is hands down the greatest racing circuit in the history of mankind.
And you can't really appreciate the beauty of it unless you have walked the track. Eau Rouge is so ****ing steep, TV does no justice to it, at all. To blast through it @ 300 km/h, full throttle.. how ****ing brilliant

BroncoBuff
05-25-2009, 02:25 AM
I hate racing, make no mistake about it, BUT the one cool thing about a lot of this is that bars here will give discount drinks here during the race........so, given that, I wonder why I'm not out every Sunday

It's pretty clear to me that your life centers just one primary motivating factor Knowitall