PDA

View Full Version : Video Interview with TE Richard Quinn

cmhargrove
05-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Here's another video interview from denverbroncos.com - with some game film.

I have a couple things to say.
1) Don't hijack this thread with your lame ass racist, anti-racist, or pseudo-racist banter, let's just talk about football, and what role Richard Quinn plays on the team.
2) I had no idea what to expect from this kid, but the highlights make me very optimistic about Quinn as a dual purpose player. He didn't get a lot of chances to catch the ball in college, but he looks very natural at it. His body type and athleticism look ideal, and he has good acceleration and athleticism. True "football player."
3) Be honest, who the hell knew who Tony Scheffler was coming out of college? We spent a second rounder on him (a few spots higher than the Quinn pick), and not one single person here had him on their radar.

This kid looks like the other high character, strong football players we drafted this year. Call me excited.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609

footstepsfrom#27
05-23-2009, 09:23 AM
He seems intelligent and well spoken. ;D

cmhargrove
05-23-2009, 09:29 AM

I agree, now "can't we all just get along...?"

TheReverend
05-23-2009, 09:48 AM

1) Don't hijack this thread with your lame ass racist, anti-racist, or pseudo-racist banter, let's just talk about football, and what role Richard Quinn plays on the team.
2) I had no idea what to expect from this kid, but the highlights make me very optimistic about Quinn as a dual purpose player. He didn't get a lot of chances to catch the ball in college, but he looks very natural at it. His body type and athleticism look ideal, and he has good acceleration and athleticism. True "football player."
3) Be honest, who the hell knew who Tony Scheffler was coming out of college? We spent a second rounder on him (a few spots higher than the Quinn pick), and not one single person here had him on their radar.

This kid looks like the other high character, strong football players we drafted this year. Call me excited.

When the hell does that happen here and what brought that on...

footstepsfrom#27
05-23-2009, 10:13 AM

OK...let me just ask you a few questions. I'm not trying to be difficult but I'd really like to see where you're coming from.

1) What makes you think he had good acceleration? He ran a 4.88 40 at the combine which was next to last among TE's and in fact he finished next to last in all the speed drills. If you're basing it on the tape, I didn't really see that. They showed 3 or 4 catches...probably since he only had 12 or so his entire career they were limited in what they could put on this highlight film. I'd rather have seen video of him pancaking someone since that's why they got him.

2) Where is the athleticism you're talking about? I didn't really see that either. His combine numbers were not impressive and if in fact he is so athletic, why did he not get used more in the passing game? Yes I know they had good receivers and the TE wasn't used much but is that really a good explanation? Most coaches will utilize talent if they have it. Something I found out about Quinn that hasn't been mentioned in here as far as I know...Quinn was NOT recruited to UNC as a TE. He was a 220 pound wide reciever in high school. If you've got a guy you recruited as a receiver and he's playing TE, why would you not throw him the ball if he can really catch it? That doesn't make much sense.

3) When exactly do you see this guy being anything but the 5th option on any play? Certainly he's not going to be the primary receiver...EVER. Maybe he plays a Dwayne Carswell role on the goal line who occasionally catches one. Comparing him to Scheffler is silly however just because fans didn't know about Scheff. Scheffler was highly productive coming out of college as a receiving TE and he ran a 4.5 and change at 255 pounds. There's a HUGE difference between their speed and what they proved they could do in a passing offense. Quinn is Graham's replacement next year so that Bowlen can stop paying big bucks to a blocing TE and IMO at this point that theory makes much more sense than anything predicting he's much more than a big guy who can pound on people.

The guy is here and I'm willing to lay off him now because there's really nothing that can be done about it but if you're going to tell me you see all this athleticism and potential based on a couple of clips of this guy catching an 8 yard pass or two...well that's just not that impressive.

~Crash~
05-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Next year we should draft another blocking TE in the first round to keep you entertained.

cmhargrove
05-23-2009, 11:00 AM
OK...let me just ask you a few questions. I'm not trying to be difficult but I'd really like to see where you're coming from.

1) What makes you think he had good acceleration? He ran a 4.88 40 at the combine which was next to last among TE's and in fact he finished next to last in all the speed drills. If you're basing it on the tape, I didn't really see that. They showed 3 or 4 catches...probably since he only had 12 or so his entire career they were limited in what they could put on this highlight film. I'd rather have seen video of him pancaking someone since that's why they got him.

2) Where is the athleticism you're talking about? I didn't really see that either. His combine numbers were not impressive and if in fact he is so athletic, why did he not get used more in the passing game? Yes I know they had good receivers and the TE wasn't used much but is that really a good explanation? Most coaches will utilize talent if they have it. Something I found out about Quinn that hasn't been mentioned in here as far as I know...Quinn was NOT recruited to UNC as a TE. He was a 220 pound wide reciever in high school. If you've got a guy you recruited as a receiver and he's playing TE, why would you not throw him the ball if he can really catch it? That doesn't make much sense.

3) When exactly do you see this guy being anything but the 5th option on any play? Certainly he's not going to be the primary receiver...EVER. Maybe he plays a Dwayne Carswell role on the goal line who occasionally catches one. Comparing him to Scheffler is silly however just because fans didn't know about Scheff. Scheffler was highly productive coming out of college as a receiving TE and he ran a 4.5 and change at 255 pounds. There's a HUGE difference between their speed and what they proved they could do in a passing offense. Quinn is Graham's replacement next year so that Bowlen can stop paying big bucks to a blocing TE and IMO at this point that theory makes much more sense than anything predicting he's much more than a big guy who can pound on people.

The guy is here and I'm willing to lay off him now because there's really nothing that can be done about it but if you're going to tell me you see all this athleticism and potential based on a couple of clips of this guy catching an 8 yard pass or two...well that's just not that impressive.

I won't debate your points because they make sense. However, when you hear the moniker "blocking tight end" you often get the picture of a lumbering brute that doesn't look very fleet footed.

A few clips is honestly not enough to judge a player, I admit that.

However, I feel like the few clips show he can catch the ball well enough, and he turned quickly upfield and ran hard. He obviously has the frame to endure more contact than Scheffler (in my opinion).

Boo to the Tarheeels for not using a former WR to his proper skillset. The guy looks like he will do just fine to me. He could sneak up on people like Kevin Boss did for the Giants.

I'm not looking for a Tony Gonzales here. But, if he is a really solid blocker, and he can get us 3-4 TD's a year, he will be a great pickup.

Popps
05-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Didn't I read that he was catching the ball really well at the combine? Seems that I saw somewhere his pass catching abilities might be an added bonus outside of his blocking skills.

Think of what we paid to bring Graham in and how important he's been to the running game and in pass-protection. We're (hopefully) going to get a lot of the same from this kid, and I'm telling you... McDaniels is going to have them BOTH on the field, quite often.

I'm not discounting that we may be trying to find Graham's replacement if he gets too pricy, but I believe McD wants two TEs that can dominate as blockers out there at the same time.

cutthemdown
05-23-2009, 01:23 PM

I know he hasn't made a lot of receptions but i like how he catches ball. He was snatching them with his hands just like at combine.

You would think a college player with only 12 receptions, or whatever it was, would be more stone hands but IMO he looks really polished.

cutthemdown
05-23-2009, 01:28 PM
When the hell does that happen here and what brought that on...

It's the well spoken thing. Someone in the Alphonso Smith thread said he was well spoken. It got turned into oh well spoken for a black kid, notice how it's never a white kid who is described well spoken. etc etc

Whatever I still think it's a good sign when a young black male is well spoken. Not because I am amazed that they are well spoken, but because IMO, it shows they don't embrace the thug life, the street cred type thing.

Now if he could just give Hillis some voice lessons, I can't understand backwater drawl. ROFL!

TheReverend
05-23-2009, 01:43 PM
It's the well spoken thing. Someone in the Alphonso Smith thread said he was well spoken. It got turned into oh well spoken for a black kid, notice how it's never a white kid who is described well spoken. etc etc

Whatever I still think it's a good sign when a young black male is well spoken. Not because I am amazed that they are well spoken, but because IMO, it shows they don't embrace the thug life, the street cred type thing.

Now if he could just give Hillis some voice lessons, I can't understand backwater drawl. ROFL!

Ahhh, thanks for filling me in.

I thought this guy sounded like a ****ing moron, personally. The type that tries to sound smart but isn't fooling anyone.

watermock
05-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Does he talk like Pac-Man?

footstepsfrom#27
05-23-2009, 02:06 PM
I know he hasn't made a lot of receptions but i like how he catches ball. He was snatching them with his hands just like at combine.

You would think a college player with only 12 receptions, or whatever it was, would be more stone hands but IMO he looks really polished.
Like I noted earlier, he was not recruited to UNC as a TE. He was a big high school receiver...220 pounds...but not very productive in HS either as a receiver. It appears somebody fell in love with his size and obviously he put on a lot of weight as well, but why was a guy who was recruited as a receiver never given more than a passing nod for that in college? We'll see what he brings...if it's anything more than a souped up Chad Mustard I'll be pleasantly surprised but with Graham's contract I don't think it's a question of whether he replaces him but when. Searching for a role for this guy...maybe Dwayne Carswell is the guy who comes to mind.

TheReverend
05-23-2009, 02:11 PM
I think expecting 3 or 4 TDs a year from a guy that's caught a grand total of 12 passes, which is well under a half a catch a game, in his collegiate career might be pushin it...

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 border=0><TBODY><TR class=stathead align=middle bgColor=#002942><TD align=left>Stats Overview</TD><TD colSpan=5>Receiving</TD><TD colSpan=5>Rushing</TD><TD colSpan=2>Fumbles</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right ?><TD align=left>YEAR</TD><TD>REC</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>AVG</TD><TD>LNG</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>ATT</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>AVG</TD><TD>LNG</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>FUM</TD><TD>LST</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2005</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0.0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0.0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2007</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>27</TD><TD>6.8</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0.0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2008</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>97</TD><TD>12.1</TD><TD>32</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0.0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Just sayin...

watermock
05-23-2009, 02:12 PM
But he was on Mcdummy's index card,. He said so himself!

TheReverend
05-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Like I noted earlier, he was not recruited to UNC as a TE. He was a big high school receiver...220 pounds...but not very productive in HS either as a receiver. It appears somebody fell in love with his size and obviously he put on a lot of weight as well, but why was a guy who was recruited as a receiver never given more than a passing nod for that in college? We'll see what he brings...if it's anything more than a souped up Chad Mustard I'll be pleasantly surprised but with Graham's contract I don't think it's a question of whether he replaces him but when. Searching for a role for this guy...maybe Dwayne Carswell is the guy who comes to mind.

WR turned TE, and you can fit all his college receiving highlights into a 40 second clip... awesome pick, lol

OABB
05-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Does he say ask, or axe?

Hulamau
05-23-2009, 02:18 PM

Actually Quinn is THIS years second TE in what will be MANY double and even triple TE sets, with Scheff in there with Quinn and Graham at times. He was brought in to help the offense put points on the board NOW not only in the blocking game but as another viable option in the redzone as well

Never heard ONE scout or analysis of him that said he has poor hands. McD when talking about him after the draft said they were particularly impressed with his hands and how soft they were. And several other scouts/commentators mentioned his soft sure hands and that he rarely dropped any of the very few passes throw to him an a NC system that didn't utilize the TE much as a pass catcher. In addition to his blocking skills which are formidable!

Just because NC only threw it too him a hand full of times doesn't at all mean that reflects his ability to catch! And that is why McD brought him in for a private workout and obviously told Quinn "we are going to get him' .. and why McD made a point to emphasize his receiving skills in all his comments about Quinn.

If they weren't confident in his pass catching ability McD would have emphasis strictly what a great blocker his is and what he will bring to the run game.

NO he isn't the fastest TE ever to lace up some cleats, more typical true TE speed and he isn't a tweener who is an over-sized WR who cant block.
McD feels he is a solid combination of a great blocking TE with good receiving skills and I can almost promise you he isn't a back up project for next year and solely here to replace Graham!

Plus he's got one of the best TE coaches around who worked some magic with Antonio Gates and Alge Crumpler as well. So lets just see what's what on the field before relegating him to a disappointment, toch?

TheReverend
05-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Does he say ask, or axe?

Not sure, it didn't come up.

But here's a clip of him spelling "fifth"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8-8i-80wTR0/SLlgHBcmR-I/AAAAAAAAABM/NNv4efdgnqc/S220/Chappelle_Fif.jpg

footstepsfrom#27
05-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Actually Quinn is THIS years second TE in what will be MANY double and even triple TE sets, with Scheff in there with Quinn and Graham at times. He was brought in to help the offense put points on the board NOW not only in the blocking game but as another viable option in the redzone as well

Never heard ONE scout or analysis of him that said he has poor hands. McD when talking about him after the draft said they were particularly impressed with his hands and how soft they were. And several other scouts/commentators mentioned his soft sure hands and that he rarely dropped any of the very few passes throw to him an a NC system that didn't utilize the TE much as a pass catcher. In addition to his blocking skills which are formidable!

Just because NC only threw it too him a hand full of times doesn't at all mean that reflects his ability to catch! And that is why McD brought him in for a private workout and obviously told Quinn "we are going to get him' .. and why McD made a point to emphasize his receiving skills in all his comments about Quinn.

If they weren't confident in his pass catching ability McD would have emphasis strictly what a great blocker his is and what he will bring to the run game.

NO he isn't the fastest TE ever to lace up some cleats, more typical true TE speed and he isn't a tweener who is an over-sized WR who cant block.
McD feels he is a solid combination of a great blocking TE with good receiving skills and I can almost promise you he isn't a back up project for next year and solely here to replace Graham!

Plus he's got one of the best TE coaches around who worked some magic with Antonio Gates and Alge Crumpler as well. So lets just see what's what on the field before relegating him to a disappointment, toch?
We might as well move Scheffler to WR then because if he's bound and determined to make this kid the #2 TE and put him on the field with Graham then we're wasting a considerable downfiled threat. Maybe that's the plan...to replace Scheffler...who knows? But if it is...this guy better be freaking fantastic, because outside of Scheffler we don't have a true threat as a receiver at the position. That also means we're in a single back offense...say goodbye to Hillis sharing the backfield with Moreno as a 1-2 punch then...now he becomes a backup, spot role player...how's that sound?

Another thing...he might have great hands but his speed is a problem IMO. You still have to get open and only one TE at the combine ran worse than this guy did...not just in the 40 mind you...all the speed drills he finished next to last. Maybe he's got game speed...maybe he's just a really slow dude that the UNC coaches knew wasn't ever going to be a primary option in their passing game...either way he'd better be an incredible blocker to justify where he was chosen. He better be the John Hannah of TE's.

Hulamau
05-23-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't pay much attention to Combine speeds they are often so misleading. Can the guy run crisp routes and get open or not?

And we aren't dumping Scheff either. All three will be out there at times, and Scheff mostly on third downs likely except short yardage inside the red zone. This isn't a Scheff replacement but will compliment Graham in the run game and eventually replace him, while also being a viable threat on any down he's out there as well as a receiver.

broncswin
05-23-2009, 03:21 PM
I think expecting 3 or 4 TDs a year from a guy that's caught a grand total of 12 passes, which is well under a half a catch a game, in his collegiate career might be pushin it...

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 border=0><TBODY><TR class=stathead align=middle bgColor=#002942><TD align=left>Stats Overview</TD><TD colSpan=5>Receiving</TD><TD colSpan=5>Rushing</TD><TD colSpan=2>Fumbles</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right ?><TD align=left>YEAR</TD><TD>REC</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>AVG</TD><TD>LNG</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>ATT</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>AVG</TD><TD>LNG</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>FUM</TD><TD>LST</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2005</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0.0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0.0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2007</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>27</TD><TD>6.8</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0.0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2008</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>97</TD><TD>12.1</TD><TD>32</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0.0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Just sayin...

Ya because he'll be used exactly the same as in college, with the same exact offense............just sayin:welcome:

footstepsfrom#27
05-23-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't pay much attention to Combine speeds they are often so misleading. Can the guy run crisp routes and get open or not?

And we aren't dumping Scheff either. All three will be out there at times, and Scheff mostly on third downs likely except short yardage inside the red zone. This isn't a Scheff replacement but will compliment Graham in the run game and eventually replace him, while also being a viable threat on any down he's out there as well as a receiver.
Then it's Brandon Marshall, Royal or Hillis who won't be out there. Just what I said...we'll be removing Scheffler from the field as a receiving threat, maybe not all the time, but if he's only out there on 3rd down, his production will obviously drop, which means he's probably not going to be kept here long. As for the combine...why even bother timing these guys in the drills if they're not important? I know the classic response..."he has game speed". The fact that SOME guys...relatively few actually...are able to seemingly run faster on the field than they time...is often being used now to explain any slow player's lack of speed and why it doesn't matter. The fact is...most of the time it does matter. Usually guys who run "crisp routes" are doing so because they have been doing it in college consistently and actually getting open to catch balls. This guy rarely did more than block or decoy so other than watching him in drills how would we even know?

We could go on beating this forever, but we're not introducing anything that hasn't been said before. Obviously Quinn and Smith are the two picks under the microscope in this draft.

watermock
05-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Considering we had a full plate even BEFORE the Cutler trade, i'd call our draft severely underwhelming. 3 firsts, a second and 2 3rds?.

Seemingly every player we took has a pretty solid flaw, even Ayers (tweener), certainly moreno's speed and Smiths height, and McBath? WF in the first day? We needed to spend a 2nd on a blocking TE?

And what about the DL? WE're gonna make Doom and Moss into OLB's? Both certainly cant play DE in the 3/4. Neither has played OLB either? WTF is this?

We sign 3 fa rb's over 30 to 3 year deals, then use our top pick on another?

Honestly, this kid's an idiot. 100 player list? WTF is that?

"We got our guys"

This could of been a draft that sends us to playoff contention, now suddenly we are in a total rebuild?

BS! Bowlen should of gone over shanny's head and fired the idiot, brought in someone OTHER than Nolan, kept Cutler, get a 2nd round back like Greene, and sign about 4 FA D and draft another 8.

Then we would have something more than a primadonna who can't even manage to open a beer can.

thumpc
05-23-2009, 05:33 PM
My boy is here to impose his will. Why complain about drafting for a physically dominant run game with some versatility? 265 lbs running a 4.88 40 isn't that bad when he can block everyone from DEs to DBs and get open in the zone defense.
We're gonna hit people in the mouth!

cutthemdown
05-23-2009, 06:12 PM

Well let's say he ends up blocking almost as well as Graham, and catches the ball maybe about same or not as good. If he allows Broncos to go into an uncapped yr and get Grahams bloated contract and then go for say a Wilfork or something in FA, then maybe it's smarter then it looks.

I'm sure Broncos think they can coach him into a great player. Most coaches I have been around are arrogant and really think they can make players play better.

mcdaniels I think is ultra confident in these picks. They seem like his picks. I like it that because it means accountability.

TheReverend
05-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Ya because he'll be used exactly the same as in college, with the same exact offense............just sayin:welcome:

You're right. It's a lot easier to get open in the NFL than it is in college...?

Thank god he finally made it out of there! Now he can really shine in the little leagues!