PDA

View Full Version : Dre’ Bly says, “Thank you Denver"

Bronco Rob
05-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Dre’ Bly was only a Denver Bronco for two seasons, but on Thursday night he said he was thankful for his time here because of the friends he made — in football and beyond.

Bly, released in February as part of Josh McDaniels’ defensive purge, said he had “bites” of interest from other teams since, but the best opportunity to join a new team came this week in San Francisco, when veteran corner Walt Harris tore his ACL. Bly flew to the Bay Area and met with 49ers coaches and officials and agreed to a one-year deal.

“Everything happened for a reason. Coach Shanahan traded for me, and I made a lot of friends with guys on the team – DJ, Champ, Stokely,” Bly said. “Everything’s happened for a reason. I’ve made my money in football, it’s now about getting the opportunity to go and do what I love to do.”

Bly has remained in Denver throughout the offseason — perhaps you’ve seen him on television as a courtside spectator during the Nuggets’ playoff run (he counts Chauncey Billups and Carmelo Anthony among his friends here in town). Bly, a graduate of basketball powerhouse North Carolina, is probably one of the biggest hoops fans in the NFL, with a wardrobe full of Michael Jordan shirts and sweat suits.

“I want to thank Denver for my time there,” Bly said. “I know it wasn’t pretty as far as what we did as a team. But want to thank them for accepting me.”

Dre’ Bly was only a Denver Bronco for two seasons, but on Thursday night he said he was thankful for his time here because of the friends he made — in football and beyond.

Bly, released in February as part of Josh McDaniels’ defensive purge, said he had “bites” of interest from other teams since, but the best opportunity to join a new team came this week in San Francisco, when veteran corner Walt Harris tore his ACL. Bly flew to the Bay Area and met with 49ers coaches and officials and agreed to a one-year deal.

“Everything happened for a reason. Coach Shanahan traded for me, and I made a lot of friends with guys on the team – DJ, Champ, Stokely,” Bly said. “Everything’s happened for a reason. I’ve made my money in football, it’s now about getting the opportunity to go and do what I love to do.”

Bly has remained in Denver throughout the offseason — perhaps you’ve seen him on television as a courtside spectator during the Nuggets’ playoff run (he counts Chauncey Billups and Carmelo Anthony among his friends here in town). Bly, a graduate of basketball powerhouse North Carolina, is probably one of the biggest hoops fans in the NFL, with a wardrobe full of Michael Jordan shirts and sweat suits.

“I want to thank Denver for my time there,” Bly said. “I know it wasn’t pretty as far as what we did as a team. But want to thank them for accepting me.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/05/21/bly-thank-you-denver/

Florida_Bronco
05-22-2009, 11:30 AM
All class. Best of luck to you, Dre.

bfoflcommish
05-22-2009, 11:30 AM
so good he said 3 times!

Hogan11
05-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Too bad he didn't get the chance to play with a real D-line.

Spider
05-22-2009, 11:33 AM
I would have liked Bly to stay , but good luck to him .........

Smiling Assassin27
05-22-2009, 11:35 AM
watch those double moves in Frisco, Dre...

OBF1
05-22-2009, 11:53 AM
WOW.... its like the story kept on going and going :) Good luck to you in the Bay, Atleast you did not end up in hell, I mean jokeland

Bronx33
05-22-2009, 12:15 PM
your welcome for the free money dre too bad you suck.

Florida_Bronco
05-22-2009, 12:17 PM
your welcome for the free money dre too bad you suck.

Come on now, Bly gave us some very solid play in a horrible situation.

backup qb
05-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Good to see some class.

azbroncfan
05-22-2009, 12:20 PM

Exactly with talented/retread bandaids and out of work hacks like Gordon, Engelberger, Adams, Rice and the rest of the castoffs starting in front of him.

Bronx33
05-22-2009, 12:21 PM

Sorry but i saw a guy out of position 7 times out of ten and his tackling skills sucked.

Los Broncos
05-22-2009, 12:25 PM
He did the best he could with no d-line, good luck to you baby.

Popps
05-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Bly was sort of a wash for us. He made some nice plays early on, but really was just sort of an average player out there most of the time. We certainly could have done worse, and as everyone has mentioned... it's tough to know how good a corner is when he has to cover for 8 seconds at a time.

Blueflame
05-22-2009, 12:49 PM
What I remember most about Dre was him trying to get the 12th man into the game... he was great at working the home crowd.

DomCasual
05-22-2009, 01:21 PM
That read like a Mark Kiszla column.

BroncoBuff
05-22-2009, 01:42 PM

He did ... like Hogan said, a decent D-line and he might still be here.

Heck, a decent D-line and Mike and Jay might still be here.

It all comes down to D-line. Every bit of it, everything comes down to D-line.

Br0nc0Buster
05-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Dre Bly was the least of our problems on defense....well almost

He wasnt the ballhawk we brought him in to be, but he deserved to be on the field, which is more than I can say for the rest of the defense minus Doom, Champ, and Thomas

Best of luck to him in frisco

UberBroncoMan
05-22-2009, 03:44 PM
What I remember most about Dre was him trying to get the 12th man into the game... he was great at working the home crowd.

Luckily Weapon X is one of the best in the NFL when it comes to doing this.

broncosteven
05-22-2009, 04:04 PM

He seemed to step it up after Champ went down. He might still be here if he wasn't dogging it before Champ went down.

I still don't think "upgrading " your Secondary will improve our Dline. Some homers are thinking it was instant upgrade dumping Slowic. We still need talent to execute, I am not sold on the talent yet.

leon
05-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Dre Bly Straight Out Sucked!!!!! He Could Not Tackle To Save His Life!!!!!! And At Best Mediocre Covering Skills!!!!!!!!!!

DomCasual
05-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Dre Bly Straight Out Sucked!!!!! He Could Not Tackle To Save His Life!!!!!! And At Best Mediocre Covering Skills!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, that's a lot of exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

watermock
05-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Bly was one the lesser problems. When your told to give a 10 yard cushion by the coach, bacuse your safties suck salty balls, it's hard to look good.

Remember when we said "We got the best CB tandem in the NFL, if only we could get pressure?

Maybe Ayers is some genetic splice that can play two positions at once, but I don't see 2 of the rook.

Bly would of taken a paycut. Can Champ even go to the bathroom alone yet for 11 million?

Sassy
05-22-2009, 06:11 PM
I bitched about Bly all year...but that's classy.

Hogan11
05-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Bly was one the lesser problems. When your told to give a 10 yard cushion by the coach, bacuse your safties suck salty balls, it's hard to look good.

It was the same with D-Will really...it's like they were told to emulate Champ's style but they lacked Champ's closing ability, hence they got toasted on a regular basis. Would it have happened with decent D-line pressure up front? Probably not, but the team has had a garbage line since forever. I really don't blame Bly or D-Will for that matter, they were both put in a position where they really couldn't succeed.....and they didn't.

Orange_Beard
05-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Too bad he didn't get the chance to play with a real D-line.

He will now.

Bronx33
05-22-2009, 07:07 PM
I b****ed about Bly all year...but that's classy.

Tell that dude in the other room a new team will have no impact on his suckyness bly took chances and gambled and 7 times out of 10 lost.

Hogan11
05-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Tell that dude in the other room a new team will have no impact on his suckyness bly took chances and gambled and 7 times out of 10 lost.

Being forced to play 10 yards off the ball all the time, he really had no choice.

He gambled, he lost, it was all he could do. D Will did exactly the same thing.

gunns
05-22-2009, 07:27 PM

And it has for years.

Nice, classy statement. Didn't like your play, but like your respect.

Bronx33
05-22-2009, 07:31 PM
And it has for years.

Nice, classy statement. Didn't like your play, but like your respect.

This pretty much sums up my feelings about blys time here in denver.

hades
05-22-2009, 08:18 PM
is the second and third part of the first post considered a repost? Ha!

Tooo bad he didn't do better here, I really thought he could do more than he had done, but not all was his fault, our entire D stunk it up.

Odysseus
05-22-2009, 09:09 PM
I would have liked Bly to stay , but good luck to him .........

Wow. Spider is back?

I liked Dre Bly. I wish him all the best.

Bob's your Information Minister
05-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Wow, for once a pro athlete isn't an utter dickbag about his former team.

(Jae)
05-22-2009, 09:46 PM
I b****ed about Bly all year...but that's classy.

Me too, thought he was useless on the field & even though most of it wasnt his fault, he was still useless.

But he went out with class, I'll tell you that.
He just went up a couple of points in my book.