PDA

View Full Version : Trent Dilfer on Jim Rome this afternoon - mentioed Elway

loborugger
05-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Did anyone else catch that interview?

Trent was blabbering on about Favre and I wasnt really paying attention. However, he was saying something about players feeling bitter at the end of their career for all they put into the game and how much it takes from them. And then he drops the bomb about knowing Elway was bitter at the end after he won 2 SBs in Denver.

Elway bitter? Did I miss something? In the thousands of Broncos articles I have read since he retired, I never remembered that coming out before. In fact, I remember the NFL films thing about the SBs and his career and him saying, "I wouldnt change anything about my career." Doesnt sound all that bitter to me.

SoDak Bronco
05-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Dilfer is a dbag

The Joker
05-20-2009, 12:47 PM
You'd think the millions of dollars they make would help.

Nobody forces them to play either, last time I checked.

Never heard anything like this from #7 though.

Flex Gunmetal
05-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Difler is a dilweed.

Garcia Bronco
05-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Rome is a dbag

BroncoBuff
05-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Actually, John was pretty torqued at Shanahan for jumping the gun to announce he was returning for the '98 season. It was pretty well known John wanted to go out after the Packers Super Bowl.

But I don't think he was "bitter" at all, not by a longshot. Especially after how the '98 season ended :lombardi:

Kaylore
05-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Did he mean when its hard when they can't play anymore? Because I know that was hard for Elway - to come to terms with the fact that he physically couldn't do it anymore. I would have to listen to it to get where he was coming from.

And I like Trent Dilfer.

BroncoBuff
05-20-2009, 01:02 PM
I like Dilfer too Khan.

But I disagree about John ... he actually wanted to retire, wanted to retire the year before actually.

Gcver2ver3
05-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Dilfer is one of the few analysis i actually like...

i'm not gonna let one comment about Elway change my opinion on the guy...

broncocalijohn
05-20-2009, 01:10 PM
nothing is wrong with Dilfer and he is living proof that an average, non -f up, QB can win SBs. Hope for us all.

kamakazi_kal
05-20-2009, 01:14 PM
nothing is wrong with Dilfer and he is living proof that an average, non -f up, QB can win SBs. Hope for us all.

now all we need is that record setting defense.

Kaylore
05-20-2009, 01:31 PM
I like Dilfer too Khan.

But I disagree about John ... he actually wanted to retire, wanted to retire the year before actually.

I believe you, but it's not like John isn't his own man. If he really wanted to retire during the 98 season, he would have regardless of what Shanahan said.

BroncoMan4ever
05-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Actually, John was pretty torqued at Shanahan for jumping the gun to announce he was returning for the '98 season. It was pretty well known John wanted to go out after the Packers Super Bowl.

But I don't think he was "bitter" at all, not by a longshot. Especially after how the '98 season ended :lombardi:

the only thing that i could possibly see Elway being bitter about was, his desire to keep playing, when his body was telling him he couldn't. that has to be a heart breaking moment for any athlete, especially for an athlete like Elway, who is one of the greatest to ever walk onto a football field

but there is no way he was bitter at the end of his career for reasons on the field or with the team. everything i ever see about him shows how happy he was at the end.

TheReverend
05-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Dilfer is probably one of the dumbest mother****ers on the planet. Why anyone gave him or would give him a microphone is beyond me.

Gcver2ver3
05-20-2009, 02:10 PM
now all we need is that record setting defense.

or an avg defense and great offensive talent around him...

TDmvp
05-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Yea Dilfer is brilliant ...

All off season all he has done has said Sanchez is the Greatest QB he has every seen coming out of college .. and I'll quote ...

He is the alpha male all the other alpha males turn to ...

Dilfer is dumb as a rock ...

loborugger
05-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Did he mean when its hard when they can't play anymore? Because I know that was hard for Elway - to come to terms with the fact that he physically couldn't do it anymore. I would have to listen to it to get where he was coming from.

And I like Trent Dilfer.

No, I started paying attention to interview more intently after I heard Elway. He was talking about what the game took out of players and how they walked away empty.

It was a surreal moment when Trent started talking about laying awake at night, contemplating his career, and trying not to be bitter about it. He said most players left bitter.

In Jim Rome fashion, after hearing Trent's diatribe, I wanted to send the following e mail to Rome:

Dear Trent Dilfer,

In light of the salary you have earned, the post playing career you have had, and the notoriety you still have, we dont think the game took too much from you.

Signed, the inner city teacher beaten by her students yesterday and the dude who lost his leg in Fallajuh.

Probably woulda been too long, thou.

Bronx33
05-20-2009, 03:20 PM
2 Dbag show then huh?

NYBronco
05-20-2009, 03:23 PM
I like listening to Dilfer he is one of the few that can talk with common sense. I knew Elway was unhappy to leave the game and retire but bitter... that's new to me. Bitter at what, who and why?

The Big E
05-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Damn, what a sensitive bunch. It's funny how everyone who dares say anything less than flattering about a player or the team is an idiot, a douchebag, or whatever. Dilfer is actually a smart, articulate guy. From the sound of the first post, it seems that he's saying Elway is simply bitter about the toll his body has taken. Wow, how offensive. Themz fightin' words for sure!

loborugger
05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
I like listening to Dilfer he is one of the few that can talk with common sense. I knew Elway was unhappy to leave the game and retire but bitter... that's new to me. Bitter at what, who and why?

Ya, it was news to me, too - henceforth the thread. But Dilfer just left it out there without additional 411. Like it was common knowledge or something.

Gcver2ver3
05-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Damn, what a sensitive bunch. It's funny how everyone who dares say anything less than flattering about a player or the team is an idiot, a douchebag, or whatever. Dilfer is actually a smart, articulate guy. From the sound of the first post, it seems that he's saying Elway is simply bitter about the toll his body has taken. Wow, how offensive. Themz fightin' words for sure!

i agree...

azbroncfan
05-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Funny how people get bent out of shape over some stupid little comment.

listopencil
05-20-2009, 04:17 PM
The thing that struck me about Elway retiring is that he didn't actually have to. It wasn't that he couldn't play anymore, it was that he couldn't play at a high enough level anymore. He knew that he couldn't do all the stuff he wanted to do because his body wouldn't let him. That had to be frustrating and I can imagine being bitter at the thought of finally having a Super Bowl winning team around you and not being able to stick around to enjoy it.

garandman
05-20-2009, 04:42 PM
I always thought Dilfer was a tool before and after he retired, this confirms my thinking....

ZONA
05-20-2009, 05:18 PM
So what. Farve calls it bitter, Elway called it disappointing. Elway was clearly disappointed in his presser that it was not being able to play at a high level due to his body breaking down. He still had the desire to compete and probably still would have played if he felt his body would allow him to do that. Sure, it's gotta be hard to deal with that, but I'm sure all of their millions will probably help them cope.........lol.

bronco militia
05-20-2009, 06:06 PM
I can't stand trent dilfer...he was an average QB and his play cost his teams victories.

he's also carried those mistakes with him off the field. I rarely ever agree with any of his takes on NFL live.

BroncsRule
05-20-2009, 07:56 PM
I heard the interview. What Dilfer actually said was that he knew John was feeling bitter in the '95, '96 timeframe - but that the 2 superbowls fixed all that - for John.

His point was that most QB's have a certain level of bitterness upon leaving the game - and that John was a rare exception.

You guys are too much. Jump to conclusions much?

loborugger
05-20-2009, 08:01 PM
I heard the interview. What Dilfer actually said was that he knew John was feeling bitter in the '95, '96 timeframe - but that the 2 superbowls fixed all that - for John.

His point was that most QB's have a certain level of bitterness upon leaving the game - and that John was a rare exception.

You guys are too much. Jump to conclusions much?

Really? Wow. I missed that. That sounds EXCEPTIONALLY the opposite of what Dilfer said.

BroncsRule
05-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Really? Wow. I missed that. That sounds EXCEPTIONALLY the opposite of what Dilfer said.

Dilfer was whining about how he (and most) QB's feel used by their respective organizations - "You give, and you give of yourself to make your organization successful - and I know, the high salary is supposed to compensate for that, but it doesn't, not completely" then something about how even Elway felt bitter - then Rome inserts: "I'll bet the 2 superbowls helped salve some of that", to which Dilfer agrees.

~Crash~
05-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Elway was hurried by Shanahan if remember right but nope not bitter ...

cousinal11
05-21-2009, 05:53 AM
I used to like Dilfer, still do as a person, but I don't care for him in the studio, at all.

bronco militia
05-21-2009, 07:15 AM
trINT Dilhole: the expert on suck!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=649

Cito Pelon
05-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Dilfer is probably one of the dumbest mother****ers on the planet. Why anyone gave him or would give him a microphone is beyond me.

Agreed.

lex
05-21-2009, 02:16 PM

Apparently not if he cant choose the right word to describe how Elway feels. Im not saying Dilfer's wrong but it seems likely he is.

gunns
05-21-2009, 02:23 PM

I also heard the Shanahan was torqued at Elway for not running his retirement past him before doing it. One of those moments where Shanahan thought he was more than what he was.

Circle Orange
05-21-2009, 08:10 PM
What the frack has bitterness got to do with it? No one plays forever. It's funny how people use words with WRONG context...and how similar situations are looked at differently.
Yet these same people spent 24/7 making John sound like a broken down 80 year old...yet he finished out on top. Cripes, it's not like he needed a wheelchair on the field.

Meanwhile, Favre could be hobbling around for another five years and ESPN goobers will say

HE LOVES THE GAME
HE CAN PLAY AS LONG AS HE WANTS TO
HE'S EARNED THE RIGHT
Bull...Favre's the bitter one. He wants to ride off like John did. Guess what? Ain't gonna happen, Minnesota be damned. But for comedy gold, I'll watch him bumble around for another season. What the hell, ain't no skin off MY nose. :thumbsdow

BroncsRule
05-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Dilfer was commenting on the Favre situation when Elway came up as an aside.

Rome commented that Favre would seem to be bitter towards the Packers, and vengeance would seem to be a prime motivator for him wanting to play for a division rival - chance to twist the knife and all that..

Dilfer opined that most every QB caries a grudge, has a chip on their shoulder - someting to proove.

Can't imagine why Trent would feel that way.. :rofl: