PDA

View Full Version : WWE vs Nuggets @ Pepsi Center on May 25

HEAV
05-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers are scheduled to be at the Pepsi Center in Denver next Monday night.

Problem is, so are John Cena and a bunch of wrestlers -- and they called it first.

World Wrestling Entertainment said it is booked at the arena for an episode of Monday Night Raw, the same night the Nuggets are slated to host the Lakers in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals.

WWE chairman Vince McMahon told The Associated Press he doesn't believe there was "any malice, just ineptness," on the part of Kroenke Sports, which owns the team and the building, but can't tolerate the company "just simply throwing us out on our ear."

Without a quick resolution, McMahon plans to send his trucks to Denver.

"That's what we intend to do," he said. "We're going to show up."

Pepsi Center officials told the ABC television affiliate in Denver that the Nuggets game will be played as scheduled and that they are working with the WWE to reschedule or move its event.

Paul Andrews, executive vice president of Kroenke Sports Enterprises, issued a statement Monday night concerning the scheduling conflict, saying: "We are working with the WWE to resolve the situation amicably."

WWE spokesman Robert Zimmerman said the organization secured the Pepsi Center last Aug. 15 and has already sold more than 10,000 tickets for the event. He says the organization expects a sellout, with tickets ranging from $20 to $70.

McMahon blamed Kroenke for not believing his team was good enough to still be playing in mid-May.

"The fans in Denver had a lot more faith in making the playoffs than the owner," he said in a phone interview from Louisville, where Raw was taking place later Monday night.

Denver is usually done with basketball by now. The Nuggets had lost in the first round five straight years, but as the No. 2 seed in the West are in the conference finals for the first time since 1985.

The league, which handles scheduling during the playoffs, is leaving it up to the team and the WWE to figure things out.

"The Nuggets and the WWE understand that the date of Game 4 of the Western Conference finals cannot be changed," NBA senior vice president Mike Bass said. "We are confident that the Pepsi Center and the WWE will resolve their scheduling conflict."

Zimmerman said the Pepsi Center confirmed in March with the WWE that the organization wanted to keep the May 25 date, and sent a contract on April 15 -- the final night of the regular season -- which WWE signed and returned. Tickets went on sale April 11.

The conflict didn't arise until Sunday, when the Lakers beat the Houston Rockets in Game 7 of the Western Conference semifinals. Had the Rockets won, Denver would have had home-court advantage in the next round, hosting Games 1 and 2 and putting the May 25 game in Houston.

As of Monday afternoon, the schedule on the Pepsi Center's Web site listed WWE for 6:30 p.m. local time and Western Conference finals Game 4 at 7 p.m. Tickets for the wrestling event could still be purchased online.

McMahon said he couldn't guess how much he would make from the show, but that canceling wasn't easy because of how much is involved in moving his equipment, plus filling its obligated time slot on USA Network. Litigation is likely -- but he plans to be putting on a card.

"When you do have a date, you plan everything around it," he said, adding, "we may be holding an event in a parking lot somewhere."

Bronx33
05-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Go ahead and showup McMahon you can catch the nuggets game while your here so just take your pretend show to the next state.

OBF1
05-18-2009, 08:38 PM
If McMahon has a legal document this could get very interesting.

Swedish Extrovert
05-18-2009, 08:39 PM
WTF? I think NBA playoff basketball is a little more marketable than some crap wrestling show.

BTW, calling your promoter 'inept' isn't a good way to get your way.

Kaylore
05-18-2009, 08:41 PM
has already sold more than 10,000 tickets for the event.

Ooooo! Impressive! ::)

Lev Vyvanse
05-18-2009, 08:46 PM
If McMahon has a legal document this could get very interesting.

Why? It's a contract, they will just break it and pay the damages.

TheManeMan
05-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Same thing happened the other week in the NHL I think. Yanni had a concert the same night the Pens and Caps were supposed to play. The booker obviously didnt think that the Nuggets would still be playing in late May. They ****ed up royally. I do know that Yanni had his concert and the game was played a day earlier or was a back to back night.

24champ
05-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Ooooo! Impressive! ::)

Meanwhile the Lakers vs Nuggets sold out within minutes online.:rofl:

The WWE event will get moved to some other venue...like the Pepsi Center parking lot.:giggle:

DBroncos4life
05-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Its funny when a player tries to get out of a signed contract its a big deal but when something like this happens its not.

OABB
05-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Wrestling has a huge draw and they were screwed here...just saying

spdirty
05-18-2009, 09:16 PM
either the bball game should get moved to sunday or mcmahon needs to move the show to the denver coliseum or broomfield events center...or just tape it on sunday

Majik
05-18-2009, 09:22 PM
WWE spokesman Robert Zimmerman said the organization secured the Pepsi Center last Aug. 15

I don't blame McMahon for being irritated by the situation one bit.

Hercules Rockefeller
05-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Same thing happened the other week in the NHL I think. Yanni had a concert the same night the Pens and Caps were supposed to play. The booker obviously didnt think that the Nuggets would still be playing in late May. They ****ed up royally. I do know that Yanni had his concert and the game was played a day earlier or was a back to back night.

Difference is that Leonsis doesn't own the Verizon Center while Kroenke does own the Pepsi Center.

footstepsfrom#27
05-18-2009, 10:32 PM
$70 for a ticket to that nonsense? ROFL!

Crushaholic
05-18-2009, 10:46 PM
either the bball game should get moved to sunday or mcmahon needs to move the show to the denver coliseum or broomfield events center...or just tape it on sunday

They could possibly do that. Back when WWE was competing with WCW on Monday nights, that wouldn't have been a good thing. However, they have a virtual monopoly on the wrestling world and they can do whatever they want. People will still watch...

UberBroncoMan
05-18-2009, 11:08 PM
I miss calling it the WWF. **** the World Wildlife Fund crying over the rights to an acronym after decades. (and I'm not even a big wrestling fan)

Kaylore
05-18-2009, 11:13 PM
I miss calling it the WWF. **** the World Wildlife Fund crying over the rights to an acronym after decades. (and I'm not even a big wrestling fan)

I completely agree. WWF was nostalgic and 80's awesome.

Natedog24
05-18-2009, 11:22 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ytCEuuW2_A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ytCEuuW2_A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Meck77
05-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Easy...Do a wrestling match/tailgate bash in the parking lot before the game. Then the fans can watch Kobe and Co get beat down.

Jason in LA
05-19-2009, 12:14 AM
McMahon has the right to the building that night. Period. I agree with everything that he's said. He's got the contract, so if they want him to go away they better pay up.

OBF1
05-19-2009, 12:49 AM
oh, and he will make them pay, the guy is a billionaire for a reason. And he will get great free press from the situation as well.

cutthemdown
05-19-2009, 12:52 AM
WWE is only positioning itself to show as much damage as possible by the move. They will win some type of settlement and the game of course will be played by Lakers and Nuggets.

For sure Kroenke sports will have to pay up, the arse.

So basically the owner of the nuggets can pay, so his team can play, and get torched by the Lakers, hows that for irony.

TDmvp
05-19-2009, 12:58 AM

/agree

Garcia Bronco
05-19-2009, 07:17 AM
I still call it the WWF. So did the woman on the news this morning.

I have to side with the wrestling on this. They had it first and the Nuggets should have to move their game to another night if the WWF doesn't want to move it.

Garcia Bronco
05-19-2009, 07:27 AM
The Nuggets are missing and opportunity. They should move their game to Mile High. And sell the extras at like 5 bucks a ticket and put that sucker outside. It would be sweet.

bronco_diesel
05-19-2009, 07:52 AM
The Nuggets are missing and opportunity. They should move their game to Mile High. And sell the extras at like 5 bucks a ticket and put that sucker outside. It would be sweet.

i think that would actually be pretty awesome...if the weather held up.

philiptr2
05-19-2009, 07:58 AM
First of all, I think the blame should be put on the NBA for scheduling the game when another event was set to happen.

Arenas have to book events. The NBA should schedule around those events. Heck, last week Dane Cook was at the Pepsi Center, the week before that, Fleetwood Mac. Two weeks ago the Grateful Dead played at Pepsi Center

Second, the comment that Kroenke should have had more faith in his team is ridiculous. Had the Lakers won in six, the series would have started on Sunday, and there would be no conflict, or had the Rockets won, game 1 and 2 would have been in Denver and there would have been no conflict. He has only scheduled 1 to 2 events a week at the Pepsi Center during the NBA and NHL playoffs. That leaves 5-6 days to schedule games for the Nuggs or the Avs (if they had made the post season).

chadta
05-19-2009, 08:00 AM
First of all, I think the blame should be put on the NBA for scheduling the game when another event was set to happen.

Arenas have to book events. The NBA should schedule around those events. Heck, last week Dane Cook was at the Pepsi Center, the week before that, Fleetwood Mac. Two weeks ago the Grateful Dead played at Pepsi Center

my understanding is that the nba teams al have to have primary tenant clauses in the lease, so theyget first choice of dates at the buldings.

Garcia Bronco
05-19-2009, 08:10 AM
my understanding is that the nba teams al have to have primary tenant clauses in the lease, so theyget first choice of dates at the buldings.

If that's in the contract then it's int eh contract that the WWF signed.

Peoples Champ
05-19-2009, 08:27 AM
I heard Vince Mcman Challenged Stan Croenke to a cage match

philiptr2
05-19-2009, 08:51 AM
I would assume that Kroenke would put some type of pecking order into all the contracts at the Pepsi Center.

I would assume that the Nuggets and Avs trump everyone else.

Kaylore
05-19-2009, 09:05 AM
I would assume that Kroenke would put some type of pecking order into all the contracts at the Pepsi Center.

Also, owning the arena helps.

Crushaholic
05-19-2009, 09:13 AM
I have a hard time believing that this is kind of conflict doesn't happen occasionally to a traveling show such as WWE. McMahon will get it worked out...

Jason in LA
05-19-2009, 09:22 AM

That sounds like a great idea, but no way is it ever going to happen. Pretty much impossible to pull off for several reasons, especially with this short of notice.

Garcia Bronco
05-19-2009, 09:23 AM
That sounds like a great idea, but no way is it ever going to happen. Pretty much impossible to pull off, especially with this short of notice.

It could be done and it wouldn't be easy. They'd pack the place too. Especially since this would be game 4 and the Lakers would be facing elimination. :P

Jason in LA
05-19-2009, 09:28 AM

Seems like the contract may not include that. If it did, then there wouldn't be this issue. It would already be settled without any problems.

bfoflcommish
05-19-2009, 09:31 AM

Second, the comment that Kroenke should have had more faith in his team is ridiculous. Had the Lakers won in six, the series would have started on Sunday, and there would be no conflict, or had the Rockets won, game 1 and 2 would have been in Denver and there would have been no conflict. He has only scheduled 1 to 2 events a week at the Pepsi Center during the NBA and NHL playoffs. That leaves 5-6 days to schedule games for the Nuggs or the Avs (if they had made the post season).

this is exactly what I thought from the first second i heard story.

crush17
05-19-2009, 09:31 AM
WWE will get moved to the Coliseum or Broomfield.

Flex Gunmetal
05-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Lol who takes that sideshow nonsense seriously? Real sports>Cartoon acting. Send them packing.

Meck77
05-19-2009, 10:03 AM
So basically the owner of the nuggets can pay, so his team can play, and get torched by the Lakers, hows that for irony.

Ok ok ya damn Californian. 20 bucks says Nugs punk you guys. What do you say?

bronco militia
05-19-2009, 10:07 AM
kronke forgot about the WWE?!?!?!

THE WWE!!

who?

Hilarious!

OABB
05-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Lol who takes that sideshow nonsense seriously? Real sports>Cartoon acting. Send them packing.

I am a Lakers fan and all, but you are being way to hard on the Nuggets.

Flex Gunmetal
05-19-2009, 10:34 AM
I am a Lakers fan and all, but you are being way to hard on the Nuggets.

Hey way to take the rockets in 7!
The nuggs are getting antsy from all this rest they've had.
Wonder if kobe's wife gets as antsy when he comes to CO. Prolly lots of temptation to do some old fashion rapin'!

24champ
05-19-2009, 10:42 AM
LOL @ Vince...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/ThatJuanGuy1/19498070_480X360.jpg

bombay
05-19-2009, 10:43 AM
That sounds like a great idea, but no way is it ever going to happen. Pretty much impossible to pull off for several reasons, especially with this short of notice.

Until the first three pointer gets blown off target.

DivineBronco
05-19-2009, 10:49 AM
McMahon gets his favorite thing in the world out of this, free publicity and airtime. Modern day P.T. Barnum I think a very interesting movie will be made out of his life someday.

Man-Goblin
05-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Live! Tonight! At the Denver Colliseum, home of the National Western Stockshow! It's the Western Conference Finals!

TheManeMan
05-19-2009, 10:53 AM
one is a predetermined sport...and

the other is wrestling...Hilarious!

OBF1
05-19-2009, 11:07 AM

LOL :thumbsup: LOL

Garcia Bronco
05-19-2009, 11:14 AM

LMAO

OABB
05-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Hey way to take the rockets in 7!
The nuggs are getting antsy from all this rest they've had.
Wonder if kobe's wife gets as antsy when he comes to CO. Prolly lots of temptation to do some old fashion rapin'!

worst. smacktalk. ever.

Flex Gunmetal
05-19-2009, 11:20 AM
worst. smacktalk. ever.
Hey nice comeback!
It hurt cbf1 enough to neg rep me so in my mind I've won.

broncswin
05-19-2009, 11:27 AM
You know die hard wrestling fans are bitchin their a** off right now (LMAO). WWE is something you watch, only if your on life support and the guy beside you has a mullet and won't change the channel.

broncswin
05-19-2009, 11:29 AM
worst. smacktalk. ever.

No sh*t, the truth hurts dammit, it's not made to be funny:thumbsup:

OABB
05-19-2009, 11:34 AM
By "old fashioned raping" are you talking about what usually happens to the Nuggets when Kobe comes to Denver?

Flex Gunmetal
05-19-2009, 11:42 AM
By "old fashioned raping" are you talking about what usually happens to the Nuggets when Kobe comes to Denver?
Yes, and slutty girls from Eagle.

DBroncos4life
05-19-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't know why there is so much trash talking between Laker in Nugget fans, neither team will stop the Cavs so whats the point

Flex Gunmetal
05-19-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't know why there is so much trash talking between Laker in Nugget fans, neither team will stop the Cavs so whats the point
Dear Ms. Cleo
I'm considering proposing to my girlfriend, but I don't know if she likes me or my wealth more. I have no evidence supporting either, but will she leave me and take half in the next decade?
Eagerly awaiting your reply,
Flex Gunmetal

DBroncos4life
05-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Dear Ms. Cleo
I'm considering proposing to my girlfriend, but I don't know if she likes me or my wealth more. I have no evidence supporting either, but will she leave me and take half in the next decade?
Flex Gunmetal

She will leave you

Beantown Bronco
05-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Dear Ms. Cleo
Flex Gunmetal

Is her name Rasheeda Watley by any chance?

Peoples Champ
05-19-2009, 02:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZW1Y4Lg9yM

See video. Vince McMan challenges Stan Kroenke to cage match

HEAV
05-19-2009, 02:05 PM
LOL @ Vince...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/ThatJuanGuy1/19498070_480X360.jpg

Did he do that last night?

Found it.

<object width="440" height="361">
<param name="movie" value="http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=4176887"/>
<param name="wmode" value="transparent"/>
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/>
<embed src="http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=4176887" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowScriptAccess="always" width="440" height="361"></embed>
</object>

HEAV
05-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Update

Alternative plans for next Monday’s Raw taping is to do the show at the World Arena in Colorado Springs.

This was one option WWE has discussed yesterday plus WWE has tried booking more than 100 hotel rooms for Sunday night in Colorado Springs.

As of late last night, company officials have not informed talent about anything pertaining to next weeks editon of Monday Night Raw on the 25th.